New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q116

If I am a Githyanki Arcane Trickster, do I get Arcane Trickster benefits with my psionic Mage Hand?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

A116
    Yes, Mage Hand Legerdemain (PHB p.98) gives benefits that can apply when you cast Mage Hand. It does not matter how you are able to cast the spell.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Q117

If I am a multiclass Warlock/Cleric, can I use my Cleric Spellcasting spell slots to cast spells I know as a Warlock? Can I use my Warlock Pact Magic spell slots to cast spells I have prepared as a Cleric?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

A117
    Yes, as covered in the Multiclassing section in Chapter 6 of the Player's Handbook
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p164
    Pact Magic. If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2020-09-04 at 02:46 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q118 I'm a battlemaster, my friend next to me, a barbarian. Our enemy tries to break away. Opportunity attacks go off. Can I as a battlemaster use distracting strike, adding an extra d10 to my dam and giving my barbarian friend advantage on his opportunity attack?

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

Q119

I'm an Aarakocra Monk. When I am 5th level and my Martial Arts die is 1d6, can I deal 1d6 slashing damage by using my natural claw weapons? Is using natural weapons mutually exclusive with using martial arts?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q119

I'm an Aarakocra Monk. When I am 5th level and my Martial Arts die is 1d6, can I deal 1d6 slashing damage by using my natural claw weapons? Is using natural weapons mutually exclusive with using martial arts?
    A119

Aarakocra's Talons trait says: "Your talons are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes". Monk's Martial Arts feature says: "You can roll a d4 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike". Attacking with your talons is an unarmed strike, so you can use your Martial Arts damage die.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

A118

Yes, Distracting Strike's only prerequisite is you hitting the creature with a weapon attack, it does not have any restrictions about having to be 'on your turn', so reaction attacks are valid to apply the maneuver to.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Re 116:

Note that, unlike some sources of cantrips, Arcane Trickster does not say that you can learn some other cantrip in place of Mage Hand, if you already have it. And the benefits a Gith gets from Psionic Mage Hand are all things that an Arcane Trickster would ordinarily get. So it wouldn't matter which of your Mage Hands you're using.

Re 118:
    I think the question was about the order in which the two characters take opportunity attacks. IIRC, the rule is that when two things would happen simultaneously, the creature whose turn it is decides the order in which they happen. So the fleeing enemy could choose that the barbarian goes first, then the battlemaster.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 116:

Note that, unlike some sources of cantrips, Arcane Trickster does not say that you can learn some other cantrip in place of Mage Hand, if you already have it. And the benefits a Gith gets from Psionic Mage Hand are all things that an Arcane Trickster would ordinarily get. So it wouldn't matter which of your Mage Hands you're using.
    Re: 116

The reason I ask is that Githyanki don't use any components, while Arcane Tricksters use all the usual components. The only overlap is that they are both invisible.
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-09-05 at 10:28 AM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Re 116:
    Ah, I'd overlooked that. Yeah, that'd be a definite advantage for someone trying to be sneaky.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q120

Can a Shifter Druid use their Shifting ability while Wild Shaped, adding temp HP to whatever beast form they're in plus whatever benefit they get from their chosen subrace?

Or if they shift first and then Wild Shape, would the beast form still benefit from the shifting ability?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Q121

What artisan tools are most appropriate for the crafting of jewellery like rings, necklaces, earrings etc.? So far as I can see, Jeweler's tools are specifically about gems exclusively.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Q122

Does Monk Stunning Strike work with unarmed strikes? The text of the ability says "melee weapon attacks" (the same term used to qualify bonus damage for Barbarian Rage).

15. - Top - End - #315
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q121

What artisan tools are most appropriate for the crafting of jewellery like rings, necklaces, earrings etc.? So far as I can see, Jeweler's tools are specifically about gems exclusively.
    A:121
    Deciding an appropriate tool to use is up to the DM, so there is no RAW answer to this; you'll have to ask your DM. Though Jeweler's Tools would seem to be the best fit in this case.

Q122

Does Monk Stunning Strike work with unarmed strikes? The text of the ability says "melee weapon attacks" (the same term used to qualify bonus damage for Barbarian Rage).
    A:122
    Yes. An unarmed strike is a special type of melee weapon attack. This was clarified in a Sage Advice
    Last edited by Ortho; 2020-09-11 at 04:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

A 120:
    When a druid is wildshaped, "You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source, and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so". There are a few exceptions, but none of them seems to apply to temporary HP from shifting. So yes, you can do that.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 123: How old do halflings lives in 5E?

I've seen 'A halfling reaches Adulthood at the age of 20 and generally lives into the middle of his or her second century' but I don't know if that means 150 or 250, or something else. The only 'concrete' information I can find is from Pathfinder which sides closer to 100-150, but that's not RAW. We just had a 33 year old hafling hit an age trap and age 91 years at the end of last session, so this has suddenly become very relevant to our game lol. Thank you for your time.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q124 my rogue tries to extract the poison from the beast. Can the cleric cast guidance on me? Bardic inspiration?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

A123:

Your second century starts at age 100 and ends at age 200. So halfway into your second century is around 150.

A124:

Sure, why wouldn't they be able to?

Powers &8^]

20. - Top - End - #320

AssassinGuy

Q 125:

If a chain warlock has Witch Sight, do they get to use it while looking through the eyes of their familiar?

21. - Top - End - #321

Griffon

A125
    Looking through a familiar makes one blind with regard to one's own senses. The warlock, therefore, would not benefit from Witch Sight, which starts with the words, "You can see."

Edit: As a DM, I might like your Pact Boon to benefit from your Eldritch Invocations (read "you" as "you and your familiar", etc.), but RAW no.
    Last edited by Narbaculus; 2020-09-16 at 02:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

Q126

Does Careful Spell metamagic work with Dragon's Breath spell, and if so what's the exact result?

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Re 124:

I don't think there are any explicit rules for attempting to extract poison from a monster, but there are really only three ways it could work: The DM rules that it automatically succeeds, the DM rules that it automatically fails, or the DM calls for some sort of ability check. If it were either of the automatic results, you probably wouldn't be asking. If it's a check, then Guidance and Bardic Inspiration can both explicitly be used for checks.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q127 if skeletons are in fact proficient in weapons and armor, what kind of weapons and armor are they proficient in?

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

A127: The rule is that they are proficient with any equipment listed in their statblocks.

Powers &8^]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Re 127:

In addition, a monster might be proficient in other sorts of equipment, but that's explicitly left up to the DM's judgement. No guidance is provided in the rulebooks for how the DM is to make this judgement.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q128: If my Druid casts Conjure Elemental, has his wizard friend confine it in a magic circle, and then casts Planar Binding, the duration of Conjure Elemental is extended to one day. Does it become "Concentration, up to one day" or just "one day"? Does he still need to concentrate on it? What happens when he stops doing so?
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2020-09-23 at 12:55 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

28. - Top - End - #328

RogueGuy

A128: Your druid would lose concentration on Conjure Elemental when they began the 1 hour casting time of Planar Binding because long casting times require concentration (PHB pg 202).

To answer your original series of questions, let us take a situation where your druid maintained concentration on Conjure Elemental (say for example, your wizard friend is the one to cast Planar Binding instead). If the elemental that Planar Binding is cast upon fails its Charisma saving throw, then the duration of Conjure Elemental is extended to 24 hours and still requires Concentraion. As it turns out, it doesn’t actually matter that is still requires Concentration. It can be lost and it won’t affect anything.

The line in Conjure Elemental about “An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it,” doesn’t apply because the elemental isn’t uncontrolled. The caster of Planar Binding is now controlling it and will continue to do so until the full 24 hour duration of the spell has elapsed.

29. - Top - End - #329

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    A128: Your druid would lose concentration on Conjure Elemental when they began the 1 hour casting time of Planar Binding because long casting times require concentration (PHB pg 202).

To answer your original series of questions, let us take a situation where your druid maintained concentration on Conjure Elemental (say for example, your wizard friend is the one to cast Planar Binding instead). If the elemental that Planar Binding is cast upon fails its Charisma saving throw, then the duration of Conjure Elemental is extended to 24 hours and still requires Concentraion. As it turns out, it doesn’t actually matter that is still requires Concentration. It can be lost and it won’t affect anything.

The line in Conjure Elemental about “An uncontrolled elemental can't be dismissed by you, and it disappears 1 hour after you summoned it,” doesn’t apply because the elemental isn’t uncontrolled. The caster of Planar Binding is now controlling it and will continue to do so until the full 24 hour duration of the spell has elapsed.
    There are multiple assertions going around about how the Concentration part is part of the duration, and if it's not mentioned, then it isn't there. Planar binding is replacing the old duration with the one stated in its effects, and says NOTHING about the concentration, thus it removes the requirement. But any more on this should have its own thread, or try and search around for an old one where more people make this argument and do thread necromancy. I will not continue it more in the RAW thread, but the OP should know that this is a realm of dispute, and I do not agree that the interpretation above is RAW.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Q129

When using flurry of blows with an open fist monk can I push the enemy 10ft into the air and 5ft back?