New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

A129

We have Sage Advice to the contrary
    "@JeremyECrawford Second question: can the knock back granted by open hands flurry of blows be used to push the target vertically?"

Pushing someone away requires the whole move to be away from you. A diagonal push works. Vertical doesn't. #DnD
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q130

I'm puzzled by a part of description of Scrying spell.

Part of it says:

Knowledge - Save Modifier

Secondhand (you have heard of the target) - +5

Firsthand (you have met the target) +0
    Familiar (you know the target well) - -5

Connection - Save Modifier

Likeness or picture - -2

Possession or garment - -4

Body part, lock of hair, bit of nail, or the like - -10

What are these modyfiers about? Do they affect the main DC? I mean it's the target that is making the save ... why would Familiarity with the target REDUCE the DC for the target? (Should it not INCREASE it, if you know it well - should that not make it harder for the target to avoid you?) What is this part of spell description describing? I'm confused. Thanks :)

3. - Top - End - #333

HalflingRogueGirl

A130

They do exactly what it says - they modify the result of the target's saving throw. So a -5 turns a save that would have been a 16 to an 11. Your DC remains the same in all cases.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    A130

They do exactly what it says - they modify the result of the target's saving throw. So a -5 turns a save that would have been a 16 to an 11. Your DC remains the same in all cases.
    So, let's say intial DC is 17. As a Caster I'm Familiar with the target (-5), I have Likeness and picture (-2), target's garment (-4) and even target's body part (-10). So target, that is targeted, needs to meet or exceed DC -4 in order to resist my Scrying? I'll never be able to scry it, given every save will be auto-success.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    So, let's say intial DC is 17. As a Caster I'm Familiar with the target (-5), I have Likeness and picture (-2), target's garment (-4) and even target's body part (-10). So target, that is targeted, needs to meet or exceed DC -4 in order to resist my Scrying? I'll never be able to scry it, given every save will be auto-success.
    A130

Nope, the DC is still 17, but since you're familiar with the target and you have a body part, the target gets -15 to their save. In order to beat your DC of 17, they'd have to roll a natural 20 and have an innate +12 at least to their save.

I don't know if this is RAW but I suspect the different types of modifiers aren't meant to stack. You don't get extra bonuses for having a picture and a garment on top of the body part, just whichever bonus is highest.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Q131: DMG 251 table Creature Size and Space specifies that 4 tiny creatures can occupy 1 square. PHB 191 says: "Whether a creature is a friend or an enemy, you can’t willingly end your move in its space". Does DMG override PHB here? Can they occupy the space but not attack properly while in the same square as others?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #337

HalflingRogueGirl

A131

The DMG overrides here. The specific case beats the general case. It's also worth noting that the PHB is meant to be, well, player-facing. So a lot of it's information assumes you're the size of a PC: Small or Medium.

Other cases where a specific rule on sharing a space override the general include riding a mount.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

A 131:

There is no conflict here. Tiny creatures can't share their space with other tiny creatures, either. But a tiny creature's space is smaller than a medium creature's, so four tiny-creature-spaces can fit in a single 5' square.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    A 131:

There is no conflict here. Tiny creatures can't share their space with other tiny creatures, either. But a tiny creature's space is smaller than a medium creature's, so four tiny-creature-spaces can fit in a single 5' square.
    Sorry, this has me asking a Q132:

If this is the case, do tiny creatures have a smaller OA area? I'm going to include a picture to demonstrate.

Spoiler: Grid
    Show

If tiny creatures space is smaller than a medium creature's would Medium Creature '1' provoke an OA from Tiny Creature 'A' by moving one square south? Likewise, would Medium Creature '2' provoke an OA only from Tiny Creature 'B' moving one square east?

Do they still threaten the same area as a medium creature, with 1's south movement provoking nothing, and 2's east movement provoking an OA from each of the tiny's?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Do they still threaten the same area as a medium creature, with 1's south movement provoking nothing, and 2's east movement provoking an OA from each of the tiny's?
    A132:

Opportunity attacks occur when a creature leaves the reach of another creature. So it depends on what the tiny creature's reach is. In previous editions, some tiny, diminutive, and fine creatures had attacks with reach less than 5', but I don't think that's the case in 5th edition. So assuming the tiny creature A has a reach of 5', then the answer to the question quoted above is "Yes".

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #341
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q132

Are there any races, or other player options, that could decrease a starting character's ability scores in a manner similar to how many of 3.5's races would have a -2 to certain abilities?

I rolled four 1s on my d6s. Part of me wants to see if I can do justice to my father's 1e legacy of a super low-health Fighter with my own low-stat character.

"Ash the glass-jawed" they called him.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

A132 Playable kobolds and orcs, as initially published in Volo's Guide to Monsters, came with a -2, respectively to Strength and Intelligence. This has now been errata'd away, as this game design proved extremely unpopular.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q133 bear spirit totem's temp HP....how long do they last?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

A133 "Unless a feature that grants you temporary hit points has a duration, they last until they're depleted or you finish a long rest." (PHB p198)

15. - Top - End - #345
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A133 So THP last 1min?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Re 133:
    I'm not sure how you're getting "a minute" from Millstone85's answer?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A133 So THP last 1min?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 133:
    I'm not sure how you're getting "a minute" from Millstone85's answer?
    I think Dmdork's reasoning is that:
    • The spirit is the feature that grants the THP.
    • The spirit persists for 1 minute.
    • By the rule I quoted, so would the THP.

Now, me, I first read the SAC, which says "Unless a feature says otherwise, temporary hit points last until you finish a long rest (PH, 198)". Then I went to the referenced page and quoted it, without realising that it didn't quite say the same thing.

So, well, I don't know anymore.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Can a character be under the effects of the same spell twice? Example/specific case I'm curious about: We know that you can attack the same creature twice with Booming Blade, but is "don't move or suffer damage" effect also doubled, or can it occur only once?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Postmodernist View Post
    Can a character be under the effects of the same spell twice? Example/specific case I'm curious about: We know that you can attack the same creature twice with Booming Blade, but is "don't move or suffer damage" effect also doubled, or can it occur only once?
    If the spell is the same, only apply the most potent version.
    Initial hit from each booming blade will apply damage normally, but the damage that will trigger on the move will be just one application.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p205
    Combining Magical Effects
    The effects of different spells add together while the durations of those spells overlap. The effects of the same spell cast multiple times don't combine, however. Instead, the most potent effect—such as the highest bonus—from those castings applies while their durations overlap.
    For example, if two clerics cast bless on the same target, that character gains the spell’s benefit only once; he or she doesn’t get to roll two bonus dice.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

That's what I suspected. Cheers, thanks.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 134: Does the friends cantrip affect a Charisma-based caster's ability checks made for counterspell or dispel magic against the chosen target's spells?

I would say it doesn't, but I'm not sure how to word my reasoning properly. Basically friends is for Charisma checks 'involving the target', while the counterspell check is directed at the target's spell, not the target themselves?
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

A 134:
    I'd say the wording of Friends is sufficiently ambiguous that RAW there is no reason why it wouldn't give advantage on Dispel Magic and Counterspell. However, it must be cast on a creature that isn't already hostile toward you, in which case I might wonder why you're trying to undo its magic. I'd say the only time this is likely to apply is if you're trying to dispel a harmful effect on a friendly creature.

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Q 134: Does the friends cantrip affect a Charisma-based caster's ability checks made for counterspell or dispel magic against the chosen target's spells?

I would say it doesn't, but I'm not sure how to word my reasoning properly. Basically friends is for Charisma checks 'involving the target', while the counterspell check is directed at the target's spell, not the target themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezus View Post
    A 134:
    I'd say the wording of Friends is sufficiently ambiguous that RAW there is no reason why it wouldn't give advantage on Dispel Magic and Counterspell. However, it must be cast on a creature that isn't already hostile toward you, in which case I might wonder why you're trying to undo its magic. I'd say the only time this is likely to apply is if you're trying to dispel a harmful effect on a friendly creature.
    R134:
    The most recent Sage Advice clarified that Counterspell targets the enemy spellcaster, not the spell itself. Under that ruling, a cleverly-placed Friends would indeed grant Charisma casters advantage on Counterspell.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Q135: Having trouble with carrying capacity. according to roll 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Roll20
    Carrying Capacity. Your carrying Capacity is your Strength score multiplied by 15. This is the weight (in pounds) that you can carry, which is high enough that most characters don’t usually have to worry about it.

Push, Drag, or Lift. You can push, drag, or lift a weight in pounds up to twice your carrying Capacity (or 30 times your Strength score). While pushing or dragging weight in excess of your carrying Capacity, your speed drops to 5 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Also roll20
    Variant: Encumbrance
    The rules for Lifting and Carrying are intentionally simple. Here is a variant if you are looking for more detailed rules for determining how a character is hindered by the weight of Equipment. When you use this variant, ignore the Strength column of the Armor table.

If you carry weight in excess of 5 times your Strength score, you are encumbered, which means your speed drops by 10 feet.

If you carry weight in excess of 10 times your Strength score, up to your maximum carrying Capacity, you are instead heavily encumbered, which means your speed drops by 20 feet and you have disadvantage on Ability Checks, Attack rolls, and Saving Throws that use Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.

So from what I'm reading here, if I'm CARRYING objects off the ground, then my speed gradually goes down the more i carry.

But for Pushing and Dragging, I'm moving at full speed up until i reach 1lb beyond my carry capacity, at which point I immediately drop down to 5ft?

that doesn't sound right...
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2020-10-08 at 09:30 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

A135: Those are two different rules. The first is the simplified method: You can carry normally anything up to 15x STR; anything in excess up to 30x STR requires you to push or pull, reducing your speed to 5ft. The second is the Encumbrance variant rule: You can carry normally anything up to 5x STR, with increasing speed penalties beyond that.

Powers &8^]

26. - Top - End - #356
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q136: Is there any reason to assume that Entangle provides a degree of cover (assuming Medium creatures), or any RAW/Sage Advice that settles this?
    Q137: When a familiar (assume an owl) uses the Help action, is it for a specific creature or just the next character to attack? Is there any way to assure that one's own familiar is used to help their attack, short of just getting similar initiatives? Readying an action doesn't solve the issue of it getting squashed because it can't use flyby/movement to get to safety.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Menji; 2020-10-09 at 02:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

A136 I do not see any reason to assume that entangle would provide cover, nor do I know of a SA on the subject.

A137 I understand the text as speaking of a specific ally. No need to worry about initiative.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

R137: Bear in mind that "a character can only provide help if the task is one that he or she could attempt alone" (PHB p.175). "A familiar can't attack" (PHB p.240), so it cannot Help another creature Attack.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

R137: Bear in mind that "a character can only provide help if the task is one that he or she could attempt alone" (PHB p.175). "A familiar can't attack" (PHB p.240), so it cannot Help another creature Attack.
    R137: The first quotation is from the "Using ability scores" chapter. The "Help" combat action is separate (cf. "In combat, this requires the Help action (see chapter 9, 'Combat')"). Chapter 9 imposes no restrictions on needing to be able to attack oneself in order to use the Help action in combat.

Powers &8^]

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    R137: The first quotation is from the "Using ability scores" chapter. The "Help" combat action is separate (cf. "In combat, this requires the Help action (see chapter 9, 'Combat')"). Chapter 9 imposes no restrictions on needing to be able to attack oneself in order to use the Help action in combat.
    R137 That is, helping a creature with an ability check works the same in combat as out of it, but helping with an attack roll is only described in chapter 9.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by SAC v2.5 p17
    Can the familiar you conjure with the find familiar spell use the Help action to grant you advantage on your attack roll? A familiar can’t attack, but it can take non-attack actions, including Help. As the text of the Help action indicates (PH, 192), the action doesn’t require you to be able to attack; you simply need to be able to provide some sort of distraction.