New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

A223: Reactions can happen on your turn, but falling is either almost entirely undefined (if using the PHB), in which case you can just take an action before you fall, or instantaneous (if using Xanathar's), in which case neither an action nor a reaction is possible. In either case, the reaction isn't any faster than an action.
    Last edited by quindraco; 2021-05-13 at 12:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by quindraco View Post
    A223: Reactions can happen on your turn, but falling is either almost entirely undefined (if using the PHB), in which case you can just take an action before you fall, or instantaneous (if using Xanathar's), in which case neither an action nor a reaction is possible. In either case, the reaction isn't any faster than an action.
    I'm unsure "Instantaneous" rules out a reaction, to be honest. You can Ready an action with a trigger of "when something happens" with the something being an instantaneous effect, AFAIK.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Orc in the Playground

Q224: Can a Ready action trigger an Attack Action with the Extra Attack feature?

That is, if I have Extra Attack, can I use it within the Reaction of a Ready Action?
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ettin in the Playground

A224 Yes but only if the readied Attack action triggers during your turn.

The reasoning is that, since the Extra Attack feature says "whenever you take the Attack action on your turn", it should not apply to an Attack action that occurs outside of your turn. Otherwise, there is no conflict between Extra Attack and Ready.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osuniev View Post
    I'm unsure "Instantaneous" rules out a reaction, to be honest. You can Ready an action with a trigger of "when something happens" with the something being an instantaneous effect, AFAIK.
    R223

Of course you can. But that doesn't mean the reaction interrupts said instantaneous effect. So if the effect is "you fall to the ground", the reaction occurs after you hit the ground.

R224

I'm not sure it's entirely clear that you're "taking the Attack action" if you ready an attack.

Powers &8^]

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    R224 I'm not sure it's entirely clear that you're "taking the Attack action" if you ready an attack.
    R224 How else would you ready an attack?

Actually, you could ready the Cast a Spell action, with a spell that involves an attack. That's one way.

But I don't think you can choose "an attack" as the response to your trigger. It has to be either an action or, special case, moving up to your speed.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    R223

Of course you can. But that doesn't mean the reaction interrupts said instantaneous effect. So if the effect is "you fall to the ground", the reaction occurs after you hit the ground.
    Oh, so you ready a spell and state the trigger as "when I fall", you step off the ledge, fall, and go 'splat', and THEN the readied spell triggers as your Reaction.

So, when the feather fall spell's trigger says "1 reaction, which you take when you fall", you step off the ledge, fall, and go 'splat', and THEN your rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round!

Good to know.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Oh, so you ready a spell and state the trigger as "when I fall", you step off the ledge, fall, and go 'splat', and THEN the readied spell triggers as your Reaction.

So, when the feather fall spell's trigger says "1 reaction, which you take when you fall", you step off the ledge, fall, and go 'splat', and THEN your rate of descent slows to 60 feet per round!

Good to know.
    R223

Please tag your responses with the question number. And try to avoid sarcasm, as it doesn't translate well in text.

Certainly the feather fall spell is an indication that instantaneous effects can be interrupted, although the spell was printed long before Xanathar's came out with rules for falling. It at least would have been a better counterargument than the one to which I was responding.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2021-05-16 at 09:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q225:

A scarab of protection can be used "If you fail a saving throw against a necromancy spell or a harmful effect originating from an undead creature". Does this mean:

1. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell (from any creature) or B. a harmful effect (including any spell, ability, etc.) from an undead creature

2. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell from an undead creature or B. a harmful effect (but not a non-necromancy spell) from an undead creature

or even

3. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell from an undead creature or B. a harmful effect (including a non-necromancy spell) from an undead creature

Or some other interpretation?
    Last edited by JBiddles; 2021-05-19 at 10:01 AM. Reason: italics

10. - Top - End - #580
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBiddles View Post
    Q225:

A scarab of protection can be used "If you fail a saving throw against a necromancy spell or a harmful effect originating from an undead creature". Does this mean:

1. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell (from any creature) or B. a harmful effect (including any spell, ability, etc.) from an undead creature

2. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell from an undead creature or B. a harmful effect (but not a non-necromancy spell) from an undead creature

or even

3. If you fail a save against A. a necromancy spell from an undead creature or B. a harmful effect (including a non-necromancy spell) from an undead creature

Or some other interpretation?
    1 is the interpretation that makes the most sense. I do not thing it is meant to stop weapon attack damage from undead creatures, but it is meant to stop a broad swath of "weird unad powers" as well as "necromancy spells, regardless of whether they were cast by undead."

I suggest thinking of it as protection from "deathly magics."

11. - Top - End - #581
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q226

the abberant mind sorcerer learns a cantrip as part of their spell list - can they replace that cantrip as well as their levelled spells with any divination or enchantment spell from Wiz, war or sorc?

12. - Top - End - #582
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A226: Mind Sliver is a spell learned from the Psionic Spells feature, so it can be replaced even though it is a cantrip. Contrast the normal rule for sorcerous spell replacement, which explicitly says the spell "must be of a level for which you have spell slots."
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

13. - Top - End - #583

PaladinGuy

Q227:
    Does a class or racial ability continue to function when the character is unconscious, if not otherwise specified in the ability description? Why or why not?
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecessaryWeevil View Post
    Q227:
    Does a class or racial ability continue to function when the character is unconscious, if not otherwise specified in the ability description? Why or why not?
    A228: Unless it specifically states otherwise in the class/race ability's description or the effects listed for the Unconscious condition (which include the Incapacitated condition), then it continues to function.

e: Unconscious is a condition. You don't assume it has additional effects beyond those specifically stated in the rules any more than you would the Poisoned or Grappled conditions.
    Last edited by Hairfish; 2021-05-25 at 06:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q229: Does the Sharpshooter feat work with a Soulknife Rogue's psychic blades when thrown? Or do they not count as "a ranged weapon with which you are proficient" since the class calls them "a simple melee weapon with the finesse and thrown properties?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

16. - Top - End - #586
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    Q229: Does the Sharpshooter feat work with a Soulknife Rogue's psychic blades when thrown? Or do they not count as "a ranged weapon with which you are proficient" since the class calls them "a simple melee weapon with the finesse and thrown properties?"
    A229. Yes and no. The wording of Sharpshooter changes between benefits. The parts that let you make long-range and partial cover shots without penalty just require that you be making "a ranged weapon attack". Since melee weapons with the thrown property can be used to make ranged weapon attacks, psychic blades will get the benefit.

However, the -5/+10 benefit does specify it requires an "attack with a ranged weapon". So psychic blades don't get that benefit.

17. - Top - End - #587

BardGuy

Q230
    I recall 3.5 specifically stating that a summoned or created creature or object can not appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in open space; it must appear on a surface capable of supporting it.
    Does 5e have any similar rules or restrictions preventing things from being summoned in mid-air?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2021-06-03 at 08:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q231

Question is about a Grung's standing leap/any kind of jump, the feature is written thusly on Beyond:
    Standing Leap -- Your long jump is up to 25 feet and your high jump is up to 15 feet, with or without a running start.

Could a Grung (as a poorly designed/OP PC race or otherwise) jump 25 feet forward as well as up to 15 feet upward as a leap, or do those need to be separate jumps? Or could any jump total 25 feet but never exceed 15 feet up/25 feet forward? Trying to keep it simple without involving parabolic momentum, but looking for some interpretations.
    Last edited by anemic_royaltea; 2021-06-04 at 01:52 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A231
    The Long Jump rule states :
    "This rule assumes that the height of your jump doesn't matter, such as a jump across a stream or chasm. At your DM's option, you must succeed on a DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to clear a low obstacle (no taller than a quarter of the jump's distance), such as a hedge or low wall. Otherwise, you hit it."

20. - Top - End - #590
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Q230
    I recall 3.5 specifically stating that a summoned or created creature or object can not appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in open space; it must appear on a surface capable of supporting it.
    Does 5e have any similar rules or restrictions preventing things from being summoned in mid-air?
    A230
    There's no general rules about this, so it's going to be down to the specific feature that's letting you summon/create stuff.
    Just for some examples: most summoning spells (the Conjure X and Summon Xs) just say "unoccupied space(s) that you can see within range", nothing stopping you from summoning in mid-air; the Wall of spells mostly say "on the ground" or "on a solid surface" and specificy what happens if they overlap with a creature's space.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2021-06-06 at 01:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q232
    What feats would be good for a wildfire druid at lv 4?
    This is the first time I'm playing DnD and I'm stumped at what to pick here. I've been mostly using fire spells and relying on my fire spirit. if nothing seems to be good, I'll get +1 wis and +1 con.
    Last edited by AngelusAlvus; 2021-06-07 at 11:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 232
    Welcome to the hobby! I hope you have fun! Thank you for observing proper formatting on your first question!

That said, what constitutes a 'good' feat is not quite a 'simple' question and may warrant its own thread. A discussion on how best to use your subclass would be a worthy topic.

Unofficially: Lucky always seems to be a decent pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Ogre in the Playground

A232 Generally at level 4 you'll want to increase your primary ability modifier (Wisdom in your case), unless it's already at least +4.

But this is not a RAW question and so doesn't belong in this thread.

Powers &8^]

24. - Top - End - #594
    Titan in the Playground

Q 233:

A Hallow spell, by default, prevents elementals from entering its area. Suppose that a moon druid, in his natural form, enters the area of a Hallow spell, and then uses Elemental Wildshape to turn into an elemental. Does anything in particular happen?

The three interpretations I could see are:
    1) An elemental didn't enter the area; an elf did. There's no rule against an elemental being in the area, only against entering, and so the druid is not affected (unless he leaves and then tries to re-enter).
    2) The druid turning into an elemental would be an elemental entering the area, which is not possible, so the druid cannot turn into an elemental in that area.
    3) The Hallowed area is effectively a solid, occupied space with respect to elementals, and so if the druid turned into an elemental in the area, he would be immediately shunted out of the area to the nearest unoccupied space.

Q 234:

Same question, except now the druid is attempting to summon an elemental (or other prohibited creature type) into the Hallowed area.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

25. - Top - End - #595
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

A233: #1 is correct; transforming into a prohibited creature while already inside the area is totally allowed.

A234: A summoned creature enters the space to which it is summoned; therefore, Hallow prevents elementals from being summoned in its area.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

According to the text, I can take any common infusion as an artificer at level 2 via the Replicate Magic Item infusion option. One commonly-cited popular option is Spellwrought Tattoo.

Spellwrought Tattoo is available across Common -> Rare rarities and can replicate spells from cantrip to 5th level.

Q235: As an Artificer levels up, would the rarity and available spell levels rise accordingly from the tattoo?

Q236: What spells are available from the Spellwrought Tattoo infusion for an artificer (of any level). Just Artificer spells? Literally any spells?
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

27. - Top - End - #597
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    According to the text, I can take any common infusion as an artificer at level 2 via the Replicate Magic Item infusion option. One commonly-cited popular option is Spellwrought Tattoo.

Spellwrought Tattoo is available across Common -> Rare rarities and can replicate spells from cantrip to 5th level.

Q235: As an Artificer levels up, would the rarity and available spell levels rise accordingly from the tattoo?

Q236: What spells are available from the Spellwrought Tattoo infusion for an artificer (of any level). Just Artificer spells? Literally any spells?
    A235:
    No. The only items you can create with the Replicate Magic Item infusion are the items explicitly listed in the infusion's tables, or a common magic item. The Spellwrought Tattoos of an uncommon or higher rarity can't be made via the infusion.

A236:
    RAW, you can, in fact, put any spell into the tattoo, not just spells from your spell list. But we venture over into "ask your DM" territory at this point.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

Q 237:
    When an NPC spellcaster casts damaging cantrips, is the damage based on the level of the spellcaster or their CR?

For instance, an archmage is an 18th-level caster, at challenge 12. When he casts a Firebolt, does it do 3d10 damage (like a 12th-level PC), or 4d10 (like an 18th-level PC)?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 237
    On the 10th page of the Monster Manual, in the last sentence of the first paragraph under spellcasting it says, "The spellcaster level is also used for any cantrips included in the feature." In your example, an Archmage, an 18th-level caster would deal 4d10 damage with a Firebolt.
    Last edited by No brains; 2021-06-15 at 07:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q238: Have we recalculated the most common elemental damage types used by enemies as of Van Richtens? Is it still Fire/Poison/Necrotic in that order?