New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q267I've got a question about the Tasha's spell books and multiclassing. The way I read it, if I'm a druid with a 2-level wizard dip, I can attune to the Astromancy Archive and have Foresight as a spell known that I can prepare as soon as I get a 9th level slot at wizard 2/druid 15. Is that correct?
    Last edited by carkl3000; 2021-09-10 at 08:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by carkl3000 View Post
    I've got a question about the Tasha's spell books and multiclassing. The way I read it, if I'm a druid with a 2-level wizard dip, I can attune to the Astromancy Archive and have Foresight as a spell known that I can prepare as soon as I get a 9th level slot at wizard 2/druid 15. Is that correct?
    A267 (please make sure to include a question number in the future)
    As per the spellcasting rules for multiclass characters, you prepare spells individually for each of your classes. The Astromancy Archive states that its spells are wizard spells for the one attuned to it, and as such you'd be preparing them as a wizard. However, since you're a wizard 2, you're unable to prepare foresight or any other spell over 1st-level, because a wizard 2 can't prepare spells of a level higher than 1st.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Jackal View Post
    A267 (please make sure to include a question number in the future)
    Sorry about that!
    As per the spellcasting rules for multiclass characters, you prepare spells individually for each of your classes. The Astromancy Archive states that its spells are wizard spells for the one attuned to it, and as such you'd be preparing them as a wizard. However, since you're a wizard 2, you're unable to prepare foresight or any other spell over 1st-level, because a wizard 2 can't prepare spells of a level higher than 1st.
    That was my first inclination, but upon closer reading, I'm not so sure. The wizard spellcasting feature says "You prepare the list of wizard spells that are available for you to cast. To do so, choose a number of wizard spells from your spellbook equal to your Int modifier + your wizard level. The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots."

If there were separate druid and wizard spells slots, I would agree 100%, but 1) The spell is in my spell book, and 2) I have a 9th level slot. That seems to take care of both conditions, no?

Edit:

Additionally, I don't see anything in the multiclassing rules that contradicts this. A multiclassed 2nd level wizard can't add spells to their book that are higher than 1st level, but Foresight is already in the book. The way I read it, if I'm attuned to the book I know the spell. I just can't prepare it or cast it until I have a 9th level slot which I would get at wizard 2/druid 15.
    Last edited by carkl3000; 2021-09-10 at 09:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Troll in the Playground

A 267 Clarification

Chaos Jackal is correct. From the PHB section on multiclassed spellcaters:
    Spells Known and Prepared. You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class. If you are a ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level ranger spells based on your levels in the ranger class. As 3rd-level wizard, you know three wizard cantrips, and your spellbook contains ten wizard spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level spells. If your Intelligence is 16, you can prepare six wizard spells from your spellbook.

Each spell you know and prepare is associated with one of your classes, and you use the spellcasting ability of that class when you cast the spell. Similarly, a spellcasting focus, such as a holy symbol, can be used only for the spells from the class associated with that focus.
    And the Astromancy Archive reads:
    This brass disc of articulated, concentric rings unfolds into an armillary Sphere. As a Bonus Action, you can unfold it into the Sphere or back into a disc. When found, it contains the following Spells, which are Wizard Spells for you while you are attuned to it: Augury, Divination, Find the Path, Foresight, Locate Creature, and Locate Object. It functions as a Spellbook for you, with Spells encoded on the rings.
    You cannot prepare a 9th level Wizard spell as a Wizard 2/Druid 15 because you may only prepare Wizard spells of 1st level. The first sentence of the first quote is the relevant ruling here.

When you're a multiclass character, these rules take precedence over the default casting rules in the Class's Spellcasting feature.

5. - Top - End - #665

BardGuy

Q268

The text for Find Familiar reads, in part:

Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your familiar must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.
    If the spell forces a save -- for example in the hostile use of Plane Shift -- how is the save DC determined?

It would seem that the answer is "Based on the familiar's stats rather than on yours."

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

A 268

It's your spell save DC. You're the one casting the spell, not your familiar. The first sentence shows the intent: "Finally, when you cast a spell with a range of touch, your familiar can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell."

You're casting the spell, the familiar is just delivering it.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 269

Does movement on a Broom of Flying require the use of a hand? Likewise, does being hit while riding require any kind of save to stay on?
    Last edited by Sholos; 2021-09-10 at 08:07 PM.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

8. - Top - End - #668

BardGuy

Q270

Did the debate as to whether the "permanent" version of True Polymorph was dispellable ever get settled? If so, what was the resolution?

I note that in my resources, True Polymorph and Mighty Fortress have casting conditions that make their effects "permanent", while Major Image has its effect if upcast described as "until dispelled".

9. - Top - End - #669
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A 269

RAW, there's no restriction whatsoever to what you can do on a Broom of Flying. Of course, a DM asking for Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks or Strength Saving Throws not to fall of it in the appropriate situation would be totally reasonable. Likewise, a DM ruling that you can only use one hand (and therefore one-handed weapon, no shield etc...) whilst on the Broom would be using an (eminently reasonable) house rule.

A270
    True Polymorph has a duration of one hour. After one hour, the SPELL isn't active, so there is nothing to DISPEL. (I'm uncertain as to whether an Antimagic Field would have any effect : I'm inclined to say no, with the new shape being, for game purposes, the "true" shape of the polymorphed creature, but AMF does affect magical items, unlike Dispel Magic).
    changed in recent printings, see below.
    Last edited by Osuniev; 2021-09-11 at 06:30 AM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Q270
    Did the debate as to whether the "permanent" version of True Polymorph was dispellable ever get settled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osuniev View Post
    A270
    True Polymorph as a duration of one hour. After one hour, the SPELL isn't active, so there is nothing to DISPEL
    R270
    In later printings, the line...

"If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation becomes permanent."

... has been replaced with...

"If you concentrate on this spell for the full duration, the transformation lasts until it is dispelled."

... which annoyingly was not reported in the errata document.

11. - Top - End - #671

BardGuy

Q271 (continuing the subject(s) raised in 270)

The Xanathar's spell Mighty Fortress creates a stone structure. The spell description contains the text

A staff of one hundred invisible servants obeys anycommand given to them by creatures you designate when you cast the spell. Each servant functions as if created by the unseen servant spell.
    and

The walls, turrets, and keep are all made of stone that can be damaged. Each 10—foot by 10-foot section of stone has AC 15 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness. It is immune to poison and psychic damage. Reducing a section of stone to 0 hit points destroys it and might cause connected sections to buckle and collapse at the DM’s discretion.
    and

Casting this spell on the same spot once every 7 days for a year makes the fortress permanent.
    How does Dispel Magic work against all that?

12. - Top - End - #672

BardGuy

Q272

If a team Polymorphs a Tarrasque into a chicken or True Polymorphs it into a quill pen, and then promptly Disintegrates it, is the result:

A. An even more annoyed Tarrasque?
    B. A small pile of feathery ash?

Also, in these scenarios, would the chicken get a save against the Disintegrate? Would the quill pen?

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

A 272

Your first guess is the correct one... mostly. While the spell does reads
    A creature targeted by this spell must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the target takes 10d6+40 force damage. If this damage reduces the target to 0 Hit Points, it is disintegrated.
    That isn't taking the official errata into account.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB Errata
    Disintegrate (p. 233). The last sentence of the second paragraph now reads, “The target is disintegrated if this damage leaves it with 0 hit points.”
    Hitting the Tarrasque with the spell will burn through the polymorph hit points and leave you with an annoyed, distinctly non-avian Tarrasque. It's considered by most to be a pretty potent nerf to the spell.

As for whether or not it receives a saving throw is a more interesting question. The Chicken-Tarrasque absolutely does, using the chicken's awful Constitution modifier (and +2 Proficiency bonus).

The quill via true polymorph is the questionable bit. It all hinges on if your DM counts the Quill-Tarrasque as a nonmagical object or a magical object.

If it's the former, the Tarrasque RAW turns into a pile of ash, as the spell automatically disintegrates nonmagical objects. It does not reduce them to 0 hit points, it does not collect 200$ and it does not pass GO, it straight up explicitly annihilates it (Though even this is debateable, as true polymorph ends if the target dies. But can an object die? Ask your DM).

If they do consider it a magical object (which is a fair interpretation; if exposed to an AMF, it's right back to Tarrasque time), it's outright immune to disintegration.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Colossus in the Playground

Q273: The Javelin of Lightning lets you hurl it at a target within 120 feet, do lightning damage to everything in a ling between you and the target, and then... "The lightning bolt turns back into a javelin when it reaches the target. Make a ranged weapon attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes damage from the javelin plus 4d6 lightning damage."

120 feet is the long range for a javelin. Does this directive to make a ranged weapon attack override the long range penalty (allowing you to make the attack roll without disadvantage) if you threw it the maximum distance? Or are you still governed by the javelin's rules and thus making that attack roll at disadvantage?

15. - Top - End - #675
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 273 It says, "Make a ranged weapon attack." General rules for a ranged weapon attack impose disadvantage when you attack at long range. Nothing in the item description imposes specific rules to the contrary, so I'd say you attack at disadvantage.
    Last edited by NecessaryWeevil; 2021-09-13 at 04:32 PM.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

16. - Top - End - #676

BardGuy

Q274

A. If a Tarrasque is temporarily reduced in size by polymorph magic and transported to the product of a Demiplane spell, could it make its own way out after the spell effect wears off, if this still happens during the time that there's a door large enough for a Medium-sized creature to use?

B. What if the polymorphing spell doesn't end until after the stated time in the Demiplane casting for there to be a door out?

17. - Top - End - #677

BardGuy

Q275

A. Do Dominate Person/Dominate Monster let you force the target to be "willing" or not "unwilling" to be affected by another spell (presumably one cast by one of your allies)?

B. Same question, but for the Charm X spells.

C. Same question, but for Suggestion.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 276

Does the Githyanki psionics feature count as a spell with regards to the rule that says you can only cast a cantrip if you use a bonus action spell during your turn? (i.e. - can I cast fireball then use the githyanki misty step)

19. - Top - End - #679
    Troll in the Playground

A 275

A-C: Ask your DM. Charmed as a condition isn't particularly well-defined.

I could see a DM allowing it for the second portion of dominate person/monster, where you take utter control of them, but nothing in the RAW gives a definitive answer, I'm afraid.

A 276

Despite how the title of the feature is named, a closer reading of it reveals that they use the verb "cast", meaning that it is indeed subject to the same rules as normal spellcasting in regards to the Bonus Spell Rule.

20. - Top - End - #680

BardGuy

Q277

Can you use the Telekinesis spell to move yourself? The Creature section reads:

You can try to move a Huge or smaller creature. Make an ability check with your spellcasting ability contested by the creature’s Strength check. If you win the contest, you move the creature up to 30 feet in any direction, including upward but not beyond the range of this spell. Until the end of your next turn, the creature is restrained in your telekinetic grip. A creature lifted upward is suspended in mid-air.
    On subsequent rounds, you can use your action to attempt to maintain your telekinetic grip on the creature by repeating the contest.
    and I can't see any exceptions for moving yourself or for the target to voluntarily fail the save.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/spell:telekinesis
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-18 at 05:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Q 278:

A spellcaster is concentrating on a spell. They then choose to cast a different concentration spell, which would ordinarily end the first one. But the new spell is countered. Does the first spell still end?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

22. - Top - End - #682

BardGuy

Suppose:
    • You correctly believe that Avshar the Atrocious is somewhere within 100 feet of you.
    • He's not behind cover.
    • You can't actually perceive him, due to Invisibility.

Can you target him with a spell (e.g. Dispel Magic) that does not require you to be able to see its target?

To be clear, this is NOT a question about targeting the magical effect of invisibility. It's a question about targeting a person, who is at an undisclosed location within the range of the spell.
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-19 at 05:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Q 278:

A spellcaster is concentrating on a spell. They then choose to cast a different concentration spell, which would ordinarily end the first one. But the new spell is countered. Does the first spell still end?
    A 278 Concentration on the first spell ends at the instant you begin to cast the second. Counterspelling happens sometime after that. So yes. At least according to any reading I can come up with.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    A 278 Concentration on the first spell ends at the instant you begin to cast the second. Counterspelling happens sometime after that. So yes. At least according to any reading I can come up with.
    Q280 So, if I cast True Strike, then next turn I cast Witch Bolt, does the concentration requirement of Witch Bolt mean True Strike doesn't give me advantage at all ?

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Osuniev View Post
    Q280 So, if I cast True Strike, then next turn I cast Witch Bolt, does the concentration requirement of Witch Bolt mean True Strike doesn't give me advantage at all ?
    A 280 Correct. Yet another reason why True Strike isn't all that great.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 281 My Wild Magic Sorcerer has the bend Luck ability :
    Spoiler: Bend Luck
    Show
    Starting at 6th level, you have the ability to twist fate using your wild magic. When another creature you can see makes an attack roll, an ability check, or a saving throw, you can use your reaction and spend 2 sorcery points to roll 1d4 and apply the number rolled as a bonus or penalty (your choice) to the creature's roll. You can do so after the creature rolls but before any effects of the roll occur.

When an enemy rolls (example : Wisdom save against her spell, the Hobgoblin devastatator rolls a natural 13 for a modified 14 ):
    a. - should she know 1. the result of the dice (13) or 2. the modified roll (14) or 3. whether the enmy will succed or not ?
    b. Can she use Bend Luck to turn a natural 20 or a natural 1 into something else ?

27. - Top - End - #687

EvilClericGuy

A281b: Bend Luck does not affect the number rolled on the die itself, it simply applies a bonus or penalty to the final result (similar to Bardic Inspiration, Bless, some Battle Master manoeuvres, etc.). It has no effect on attack rolls always missing on a natural 1 or getting critical hits on a natural 20.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

A279

I believe the invisible creature can be targeted as long as the spell doesn't require sight.

The important distinction, though, is whether the creature is hidden. If the creature is not hidden, just invisible, then I think there's no question he can be targeted. The problem comes if the creature is hiding and makes a successful stealth check against the caster's perception. In that case, I believe the rules are unclear on whether the hiding creature can be targeted by a spell.

Powers &8^]

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Q 282:

When a caster casts Time Stop, do they know at the start how many rounds they rolled?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

Q283
    Harengon's Rabbit Hop vs Sentinel Feat

Sentinel
    "Creatures provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action before leaving your reach."

Rabbit Hop
    "As a bonus action, you can jump a number of feet equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks."

Rabbit Hop is not a disengage, so it ignores the specific exceptions of Sentinel and thus still does not provoke opportunity attacks?