New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q. 309

The crux of the issue is "when does a creature fall?"

I am playing as a lvl 5 monk with a fly speed of 40, Crusher Feat and Way of the Open Hand subclass.

For this example, we will assume that a creature is always hit and always fails their saving throws.

I use the attack action to hit the enemy twice with my quaterstaff, the crusher feat allows me to move them 5ft in any direction. I move them straight up. They are now 10ft off the ground. I move directly under them with 5ft of movement.

I use flurry of blows, the first hit sends them 15ft straight up, I fly up 15ft and strike with the second attack, sending them another 15ft up. They are now 35ft above the floor and drop.

This legal? Or does a creature fall immediately after each attack?
    Last edited by Dualswinger; 2022-01-06 at 11:59 AM.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualswinger View Post
    This legal? Or does a creature fall immediately after each attack?
    A309 By RAW, a creature falls immediately if there's nothing holding it up. You can push it up five feet, but it'll immediately fall back down.

Powers &8^]

3. - Top - End - #753
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Was told to ask here since it's a dedicated thread for such questions.

Q310:When someone scores a critical hit, do you double the dice from Infused Strike feature?

Infused Strikes. When another creature within 30 feet of the drake that it can see hits a target with a weapon attack, the drake infuses the strike with its essence, causing the target to take an extra 1d6 damage of the type determined by its Draconic Essence.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Shomeking; 2022-01-07 at 05:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Jackal View Post
    A308 There's no provision in the spell for different sounds, and generally speaking spells do exactly what they say, nothing more, nothing less. So the easiest answer is that you wouldn't know which alarm was triggered, only that one was.

Having different pings for each cast or having you inherently know which is which because you're the caster or whatever is solidly within the realm of "ask your DM".
    A simple solution would be to have one Alarm be an audible sound, the other one being a mental signal.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

A 310:

Worded that way, it appears that the damage is a separate instance of damage caused by the drake (who is not rolling an attack roll), rather than being a part of the same attack, so I would rule that it's not multiplied on a crit. But this is definitely an "ask your DM".
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

A310

Point in favor of doubling Infused Strikes on a crit: The text says the strike itself -- the hit that triggers the reaction -- is infused with the extra damage. The word "extra" is also key here; I believe every other case where damage is doubled on a crit uses that phrasing.

Point against: The drake has to take a conscious (re)action to produce this damage, which makes it seem like a separate source of damage. But I think the above considerations far outweigh this one.

Powers &8^]

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post

I'm good with the understanding that a 2' diameter circle does not equal a flattened 2' wide bag (radius = 2*pi*R so a flattened 2' diameter circle would be ~ 37" across)..
    Re 306 the diameter IS the width by definition, 2 pi R is the circumference. FWIW.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

Q311 A character has a flying, swimming, climbing or burrowing speed, independently from their walking speed. Then some feature or spell is worded as "your speed increases by N feet". Is that to be understood as an increase to the walking speed only, or does the other speed also increase by N feet?

9. - Top - End - #759
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Q311 A character has a flying, swimming, climbing or burrowing speed, independently from their walking speed. Then some feature or spell is worded as "your speed increases by N feet". Is that to be understood as an increase to the walking speed only, or does the other speed also increase by N feet?
    If it does not specify a particular speed, it would apply to all speeds you have.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q312

I need help figuring this out:
    Three kobolds hit me with a net.
    I do not have slashing damage available to cut the nets.
    How many DC 10 Str check(s) do I have to pass until I am no longer restrained by the net(s) ?

11. - Top - End - #761
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nod_Hero View Post
    Q312

I need help figuring this out:
    Three kobolds hit me with a net.
    I do not have slashing damage available to cut the nets.
    How many DC 10 Str check(s) do I have to pass until I am no longer restrained by the net(s) ?
    A312 It's not entirely clear, but logically three. Of course, you're not getting thrice restrained, but it's still three nets on you. The restrained condition might not stack, but you're being restrained by three separate sources, so you'll have to break all three. See also a similarly kinda vague situation, being grappled by multiple enemies. Logically, you again have to deal with each one separately, not break all grapples at once.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Q313: It's generally accepted that metamagic can be applied to spells from scrolls. (There's even a Crawford tweet confirming it.)

Can the Quickened metamagic be applied to cast a spell from a scroll with a bonus action? Bearing in mind that the spell scroll description explicitly says "Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell's normal casting time." [1] The question here is equivalent to asking which is the more specific rule here, the Quickened metamagic or the spell scroll description.

[1] I'm told that this is errata, and that the original text explicitly made using a scroll an action. I don't have a DMG old enough to verify that.

13. - Top - End - #763

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisBean View Post
    Q313: It's generally accepted that metamagic can be applied to spells from scrolls. (There's even a Crawford tweet confirming it.)

Can the Quickened metamagic be applied to cast a spell from a scroll with a bonus action? Bearing in mind that the spell scroll description explicitly says "Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell's normal casting time." [1] The question here is equivalent to asking which is the more specific rule here, the Quickened metamagic or the spell scroll description.
    A313:
    Metamagic is a specific exception to the general spellcasting rules. The text you've quoted from the spell scroll description just reaffirms that casting a spell from a scroll also adheres to the general spellcasting rules.

So Metamagic is more specific than the spell scroll rules, and you can indeed Quicken Metamagic a spell scroll.
    Last edited by Ortho; 2022-02-01 at 04:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Re 313:

Or to put it another way, the "normal casting time" for a quickened spell is one bonus action, so that's what a quickened scroll uses.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #765
    Spamalot in the Playground

A313 addendum: Don't forget that only 1-action casting-time spells can be quickened. So if you have a scroll of e.g. Mending, this won't speed it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #766
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q314 Scourge Aasimar: in Volo's, and in Wildemount, the Radiant Consumption ability reads: "...you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pouring out of your eyes and mouth, and threatens to char you."

"....at the end of each of your turns, you AND each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage...."

So, fluff-wise, your whole body is radiating, well, radiance, especially from your eyes and mouth. Mechanically, everyone in the aura gets damaged by it, including you, which is why our resistance to radiant damage is really handy! The fluff matches the crunch; your whole body is radiating, omnidirectionally, so everyone gets burned.

In the new Monsters of the Multiverse, there is a new version of Aasimar. Its version of Radiant Consumption has been seriously nerfed, except now its a bonus action to kick it off, but the nerfing is not the subject of this post.

This is: the fluff part now omits the radiance from the whole body, replacing it with "Searing light temporarily radiates from your eyes and mouth." So why does it radiate omnidirectionally when it only comes from your eyes and mouth, not your whole body? Still, minor issue. Also doesn't mention threatening to char the Aasimar.

However, crunch-wise, it now says "....and at the end of each of your turns, each creature within 10 feet of you takes radiant damage".

So, are you definitely included in the taking of the damage? After all, you are within 10 feet of yourself!

Are you definitely excluded? After all, they did change the language and removed the "...you and..." part!

Can you choose whether or no you are included? If so, is this a choice made when you first gain the ability? Or choose each time you activate it? Or can you choose round to round?

As strange as it may seem, I want to take damage, so that it keeps my Rage going even if I don't attack!
    Last edited by Arial Black; 2022-02-04 at 12:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

A314

You still take the damage, though I agree it'd be nice if they'd left that clarification in. Compare the text of thunderclap, which affects each creature within range "other than you".

Powers &8^]

18. - Top - End - #768
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q 315

With the spell 'borrowed knowledge' it states "Choose one skill in which you lack proficiency. For the spell's duration, you have proficiency in the chosen skill." My table is debating how far reaching this is, and what counts as a skill. Initiative? Thieves' tools? Bard instruments? I'm looking for an outside opinion or two to help settle this. Thank you.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

A315 Skills are listed page 174 of the PHB, and include neither initiative nor tools.

20. - Top - End - #770

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    A315 Skills are listed page 174 of the PHB, and include neither initiative nor tools.
    Addendum 315: Yes-and to this one. For the OP, note that "proficiencies" such as armor or shields are not the same as skills either, and are also not covered by this spell, but I think that the language around such (like how the "Heavily Armored" feat has some related language) clearly shows that this spell only pertains to skills, and not all forms of proficiency.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q# 316
    Does the Companion's Bond feature from the Revised Ranger work with Mage Armor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed Arcana: The Ranger, Revised
    "In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, an animal companion also adds its proficiency bonus to its AC and to its damage rolls."

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    Q# 316
    Does the Companion's Bond feature from the Revised Ranger work with Mage Armor?
    A316

Yes. Companion's Bond does not provide a new way to calculate AC, just a bonus to any source of AC. Like a shield does.

Powers &8^]

23. - Top - End - #773
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Q 317

- Aberrant Sorcerer's Psionic feature description says I can replace one spell gained from that feature each level. Can I replace spells in the same level I gain them, or just in the following level?

Q318

- I'm making an Aberrant Sorcerer starting at lv 5. If I had started at lv 1, I would be able to replace at least 4 (or 5, depends on the answer to the question above) spells from his subclass along the way to lv 5. Since I'm making the char at lv 5, can I apply all those replacements retroactively? As in, already start with 4-5 spells from outside the spell list?

24. - Top - End - #774
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Q 317

- Aberrant Sorcerer's Psionic feature description says I can replace one spell gained from that feature each level. Can I replace spells in the same level I gain them, or just in the following level?

Q318

- I'm making an Aberrant Sorcerer starting at lv 5. If I had started at lv 1, I would be able to replace at least 4 (or 5, depends on the answer to the question above) spells from his subclass along the way to lv 5. Since I'm making the char at lv 5, can I apply all those replacements retroactively? As in, already start with 4-5 spells from outside the spell list?
    A317 That's going to be up to your DM, as always, but it does seem like you could. It's mostly a semantic question of whether the spell you "gain" at the level you gain it is a spell you've "gained" that you can trade. But it probably doesn't hurt anything.

A318 Absolutely. Creating a character at a particular level always assumes you create it level-by-level, for purposes of these kinds of decisions.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q. 319: A bugbear with sweeping attack

If the new Bugbear were to act first in a combat and hit a target and elect to use sweeping attack, would the second target would take the ambush damage? I’d argue yes since the result of your attack roll determines whether or not you hit the creature.

J Craw also tweeted that effects that apply to ALL attacks, as opposed to just weapon attacks, can be applied to sweeping attacks.

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...2%2Fframe.html

26. - Top - End - #776
    Spamalot in the Playground

A319: Yes, if both targets meet the requirements (i.e. not acted yet) then they'll both take the additional damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q320

a) When a PC changes from race to a lineage, what happens to racial feats?

For example if an elf takes elvish accuracy upon level up, and then later becomes a dhampir do they loose or retain their elf only feat? If you were a wood elf, but then became a dhampir, can you take wood elf magic?

b) Are there any changes to racial feat eligibility w/ all the new race rules being published?

28. - Top - End - #778
    Dwarf in the Playground

A320:
    a) You cannot benefit from feats for which you do not meet the requirements, independent of what those requirements are or why you no longer meet them.
    (If this were to happen in a campaign I ran I would ask the player if they wanted to have the character revert, and if they decided to keep the change, I'd probably allow them to replace that feat, but that would be a ruling mad in my capacity as DM.)

b) No, the prerequisites are the same, unless a new version of those feats have been published, or if the new entry explicitly calls out that it counts as an older race for the purposes of requirements. (I seem to recall hearing something about the new version of the Duergar being its own race, but having a feature that makes them count as dwarves for the purpose of requirements.)
    As a side note, a lot of new races do qualify for the Squat Nimbleness racial feat, as that has the requirement of being EITHER a Dwarf, OR a Small race, and I know that quite a few new races have Size: Medium or Small, chosen at creation.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q321

The Artificer's 11th level ability allows you to create a Spell-Storing Item, choosing a 1st or 2nd level spell that can be cast from the item a number of times equal to your INT modifier. Can you store an up-casted spell in this way, say a 2nd level Cure Wounds?

Also, if you are an Alchemist, does the Alchemical Savant ability apply to stored spells?

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Q322

Does a Venom Troll using their Venom Spray ability also trigger a Poison Splash on top of it?