New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

A353: RAW, the amount of space on the grid that a creature of a certain size controls is not the same as the amount of space that a creature needs to move through a certain space with or without squeezing. Despite the sections in the PHB being right next to one another under "Creature Size" (PHB 191-192), squeezing is about movement, not range of control in combat, which is what that chart is all about.

For a concrete example of where squeezing and character size matters, I apologize for not having the book in front of me, but in the Essentials Kit adventure, there is one section that is pointed out specifically in a dungeon that says (paraphrasing here) that a small creature doesn't need to squeeze to move through a certain narrow passage, but larger creatures would have to.

So for example, if you were running this adventure, a Bugbear could fit in there too, without using the squeezing rules.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q354

Can a pally's Divine Sense be blocked by stone/common metal/lead ala Detect Good & Evil?

3. - Top - End - #873
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q354

Can a pally's Divine Sense be blocked by stone/common metal/lead ala Detect Good & Evil?
    A354: It's blocked by total cover, which generally renders the material moot as cover tends to be broader. (For example, a monster couldn't avoid your DEG behind a thin wooden door or a floor-length curtain, but they could hide from DS that way.) DS does have a wider radius however. Mostly it's useful for detecting creatures of the listed types who are obscured (hiding/invisible) outside of cover, rather than creatures with physical obstructions between you and them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Re 354:

Mostly it's useful for detecting creatures of the listed types who are obscured (hiding/invisible) outside of cover, rather than creatures with physical obstructions between you and them.
    And also for picking out such creatures in disguise: Many fiends have disguise abilities, vampires can pass for living, and so on. Notably, it even works on rakshashas, even though Detect Evil and Good wouldn't, because it's not a spell.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q355

Due to magic or a racial feat or extraordinary ST, your PC can jump more than 10' vertically. What is RAW?

If they jump up 20' and then land back down at the same level, do they take fall damage and end up prone?
    If I have a 30' jump distance and I jump down 30' from a ledge, did I just hurt myself?
    Can a creature with a jump height of more than 10' never jump more than 10' up without breaking an ankle?
    Is the spell JUMP and the Boots of Striding and Springing just new ways to injure yourself?
    If a 3rd level monk uses Step of the Wind to jump up 12' do they get 1d6 damage and end up prone?

What is a fall?

6. - Top - End - #876

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    Q355

Due to magic or a racial feat or extraordinary ST, your PC can jump more than 10' vertically. What is RAW?

If they jump up 20' and then land back down at the same level, do they take fall damage and end up prone?
    If I have a 30' jump distance and I jump down 30' from a ledge, did I just hurt myself?
    Can a creature with a jump height of more than 10' never jump more than 10' up without breaking an ankle?
    Is the spell JUMP and the Boots of Striding and Springing just new ways to injure yourself?
    If a 3rd level monk uses Step of the Wind to jump up 12' do they get 1d6 damage and end up prone?

What is a fall?
    There is no simple RAW answer to any of these as they each will involve some level of DM adjudication and table variation. They also depend to an extent on the specific wording of the spell, racial, or other ability in question that allowed you to exceed a 10' jump height (which can also potentially be done via a simple Athletics check.) I'd recommend creating a thread to discuss these scenarios in greater detail.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #877
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q356

What are the rules for grappling characters/creatures once their hands are full? For example, a giant scorpion grapples on a hit with its claw attack. It says it has two claws, and each claw can grapple one target. If the scorpion is grappling two characters, can it still use its claw attacks? Can it attack a third, non-grappled target with its claw? The rules don't state they can, but common sense would dictate they couldn't (I feel like I'm overlooking a rule somewhere about grappling).
    For players, it says grapple requires at least one free hand, but it also doesn't say that grappling uses up that hand. After a successful grapple, is the hand then free, or is it used in maintaining the grapple? I guess this is a parallel issue to the scorpion attacking with its claws after it filled its grapple quota.

Is there a RAW for these interactions? The "grapple" action doesn't specifiy, as far as I can see.
    D20 Modern Complete HTML SRD
    (Contains D20 Modern (core), Urban Arcana, d20 Future and d20 Modern Menace Manual -> In a fun format)

8. - Top - End - #878

A356: Sage Advice indicates that the grappling limb can't also be used to attack once occupied. See below:

Is the grappling rule in the Player’s Handbook usable by a handless creature?

The grappling rule (PH, 195) was written for a grappler with at least one hand, but a DM can easily adapt the rule for a handless creature that has a bite or an appendage, such as a tentacle, that could reasonably seize someone. A wolf, for example, could plausibly try to seize a person with its bite, and the animal wouldn’t be able to use its bite attack as long as it held onto the person.

Keep in mind that the grappling rule in the Player’s Handbook requires the Attack action, so a creature must take that action—rather than Multiattack or another action in the creature’s stat block—when it uses that rule. A monster, such as a roper, that has a special grappling attack doesn’t follow that rule when using its special attack.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Q357

Does the extra damage from Booming Blade, triggered when the target moves (not the actual damage added to the initial hit at higher levels), get doubled on a crit on the initial attack?

My expectation is no, because it's not resolved until later. Just like poison effects that require an additional save to take effect, it only happens conditional on some other thing (in this case the target choosing to move). But I'm not 100% sure.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

A357

You're correct; it does not get doubled. It's damage from the spell, not from the attack.

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #881

Q358: Does a Warlock's Ghostly Gaze invocation let you cast spells through walls? Spells that target a point in space seem straightforward (e.g. Misty Step) but what about spells that target creatures (e.g. Flesh to Stone?)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A358: No, unless a spell makes mention of an exception, you still need a clear path to the target.

Q358: Can sacred flame affect a target on the other side of total cover? Does a creature gain 'benefit' from cover for a saving throw only by getting numeric bonuses, or is not being subject to a saving throw considered a 'benefit'?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #883

A358: Per JC, as long as you can see the target and they're within range, the intent is that sacred flame gets to ignore all cover including total cover. (I believe he states this during an interview, I'll see if I can find the link.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

R358/359 If you want to have fun with martials at the expense of mages, have an encounter take place in a glass labyrinth. When someone looses an arrow, say "Of course glass doesn't provide total cover from an arrow". When somebody casts a spell, say "Sorry but you still need the path to the target to be clear of solid obstacles".
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q360

RAW how many weapons can you draw and throw in one turn?

You can draw a weapon and attack with it multiple times in one turn, and you can draw and nock all the arrows you want as part of that attack (ammunition), a spell caster can draw multiple components from a pouch (and complete the somatic and verbal components of a spell), but can you draw and throw 3 javelin on one turn? The thrown weapon fighting style would imply that you cannot draw more than one thrown weapon per turn without it.

Does it matter if you have a free hand - off hand attack?

Q361

RAW can an unconscious person (0 hp) drink a potion or eat a goodberry?

(I've recently run across a DM who vehemently argues that you can healing potion a down PC but CANNOT fed them a goodberry. I cannot follow the logic or find relevant rules.)
    Last edited by da newt; 2022-08-24 at 08:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #886

A360: Without the Thrown fighting style, you can only draw a single thrown weapon using your object interaction. This means a maximum of two thrown attacks, assuming you start your turn with one in hand. If you want to be a thrower build without this fighting style, you need another way to draw as part of your attack, such as being a Soulknife.

A361: As written eating a goodberry requires an action from the user, which they can't take while unconscious or incapacitated. However, you using yours to feed one to an unconscious person could be a reasonable improvised action from you, provided your DM allows it. Show them the improvised action rule (PHB 193) and argue your position calmly, but accept that ultimately your DM has the final say.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #887
    Pixie in the Playground

This is partially based on Q314, but…
    Q362: Can a Swiftstride Shifter run away from itself (or at least move at the end of its own turn)?
    “While shifted, your walking speed increases by 10 feet. Additionally, you can move up to 10 feet as a reaction when a creature ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This reactive movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.“

Are you considered a creature within 5 feet of you?
    Last edited by Anthalon; 2022-08-24 at 02:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ogre in the Playground

Q363: If a Wizard creates a Simulacrum of a NPC that doesn't explicitly has spell slots, but has "spells per day" in their stat block instead (for example, "can cast detect magic, mage hand and minor illusion 1/day each", is the Simulacrum able to cast them everyday, or does it lose the ability to cast magic after casting them once each...?

What about other abilities, like Turn Undead, Second Wind or Bardic Inspiration? Do they refresh after resting, or not...?
    Last edited by Clistenes; 2022-08-24 at 05:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q364

Is there anything RAW that specifically allows/creates some PASSIVE abilities but excludes the others? I don't see any exclusions in the passive checks (PHB pg 175)

I know passive perception is a thing (hiding PHB pg 177), and I've seen reference to passive investigation or insight, but if they exist are passive stealth, athletics, etc also RAW?

20. - Top - End - #890

Q364

Is there anything RAW that specifically allows/creates some PASSIVE abilities but excludes the others? I don't see any exclusions in the passive checks (PHB pg 175)

I know passive perception is a thing (hiding PHB pg 177), and I've seen reference to passive investigation or insight, but if they exist are passive stealth, athletics, etc also RAW?
    A 364

There is not. Passive checks are essentially the equivalent of the old take 10. As with most things in 5e's skill system, however, when and for what taking 10 applies is up to the DM. Far as RAW is concerned, that reference in PHB 175 is the only straight one and what you use as a base.

21. - Top - End - #891

RedWizardGuy

Q365

Can I have multiple Major Images cast with a level 6 slot at the same time (allowing to build my illusory village, for example)
    Am I still able to move such illusions, one at time, with an action?

Q366

If i'm riding a steed summoned with find greater steed, and we are both subject by an AOE effect, can I use absorb element to protect both me and my mount?

22. - Top - End - #892
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Q314 and A314
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Q314 Scourge Aasimar: in Volo's, and in Wildemount, the Radiant Consumption ability reads: "...you can use your action to unleash the divine energy within yourself, causing a searing light to radiate from you, pouring out of your eyes and mouth, and threatens to char you."

"....at the end of each of your turns, you AND each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage...."

So, fluff-wise, your whole body is radiating, well, radiance, especially from your eyes and mouth. Mechanically, everyone in the aura gets damaged by it, including you, which is why our resistance to radiant damage is really handy! The fluff matches the crunch; your whole body is radiating, omnidirectionally, so everyone gets burned.

In the new Monsters of the Multiverse, there is a new version of Aasimar. Its version of Radiant Consumption has been seriously nerfed, except now its a bonus action to kick it off, but the nerfing is not the subject of this post.

This is: the fluff part now omits the radiance from the whole body, replacing it with "Searing light temporarily radiates from your eyes and mouth." So why does it radiate omnidirectionally when it only comes from your eyes and mouth, not your whole body? Still, minor issue. Also doesn't mention threatening to char the Aasimar.

However, crunch-wise, it now says "....and at the end of each of your turns, each creature within 10 feet of you takes radiant damage".

So, are you definitely included in the taking of the damage? After all, you are within 10 feet of yourself!

Are you definitely excluded? After all, they did change the language and removed the "...you and..." part!

Can you choose whether or no you are included? If so, is this a choice made when you first gain the ability? Or choose each time you activate it? Or can you choose round to round?

As strange as it may seem, I want to take damage, so that it keeps my Rage going even if I don't attack!
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A314

You still take the damage, though I agree it'd be nice if they'd left that clarification in. Compare the text of thunderclap, which affects each creature within range "other than you".

Powers &8^]

Quote Originally Posted by Anthalon View Post
    This is partially based on Q314, but…
    Q362: Can a Swiftstride Shifter run away from itself (or at least move at the end of its own turn)?
    “While shifted, your walking speed increases by 10 feet. Additionally, you can move up to 10 feet as a reaction when a creature ends its turn within 5 feet of you. This reactive movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks.“

Are you considered a creature within 5 feet of you?
    A362
    Yes. However, I doubt this is the intended use of the Swiftstride Shifting Feature, which I have seen written elsewhere (though, as far as I can see, not in official errata) with "enemy" instead of "creature".
    Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    Q363: If a Wizard creates a Simulacrum of a NPC that doesn't explicitly has spell slots, but has "spells per day" in their stat block instead (for example, "can cast detect magic, mage hand and minor illusion 1/day each", is the Simulacrum able to cast them everyday, or does it lose the ability to cast magic after casting them once each...?

What about other abilities, like Turn Undead, Second Wind or Bardic Inspiration? Do they refresh after resting, or not...?
    A363
    A simulacrum is very expensive to repair: 100 gp worth of rare herbs and materials per hit point. I wonder if that is meant to imply that it cannot regain hit points in other ways, such as healing magic or resting.
    If it is unable to rest, the simulacrum cannot regain the use of innate "X/day" abilities (MM p.11). Otherwise, I think it can regain the use of Innate Spellcasting, Turn Undead, Second Wind, Bardic Inspiration, and anything else that doesn't use spell slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Selion View Post
    Q365

Can I have multiple Major Images cast with a level 6 slot at the same time (allowing to build my illusory village, for example)
    Am I still able to move such illusions, one at time, with an action?

Q366

If i'm riding a steed summoned with find greater steed, and we are both subject by an AOE effect, can I use absorb element to protect both me and my mount?
    A365
    Yes, as long as you use a 6th- or higher-level spell slot for each of them, or for each of them but one.

A366
    Yes.

23. - Top - End - #893
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q367
    Does spirit shroud alter spells with spell attacks to deal radiant damage, so that a casting of eldritch blast affected by spirit shroud triggers the celestial warlocks radiant soul ability? (provided the target is within 10 feet and radiant damage is chosen)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit shroud:
    [...]Until the spell ends, any attack you make deals 1d8 extra damage when you hit a creature within 10 feet of you. This damage is radiant, necrotic, or cold (your choice when you cast the spell).[...]
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiant soul:
    [...] when you cast a spell that deals radiant or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to one radiant or fire damage roll of that spell against one of its targets.
    Last edited by Seliven; 2022-08-30 at 09:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #894

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Seliven View Post
    Q367
    Does spirit shroud alter spells with spell attacks to deal radiant damage, so that a casting of eldritch blast affected by spirit shroud triggers the celestial warlocks radiant soul ability? (provided the target is within 10 feet and radiant damage is chosen)
    A367
    Yes, Spirit Shroud can cause any attack you make to a target within 10 ft of you to deal radiant damage. If this attack is a spell attack, that spell then deals radiant damage. Therefore, when you, a Warlock with a Celestial Patron, cast it, Radiant Soul allows you to add your Charisma modifier to that radiant damage roll against one of the spell's targets.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q368

If you cast a spell on a monster, but it is immune to the spell's damage type, is the monster also immune to any of the spells riders?

For example: If you cast tasha's mind whip on a stone golem, is the action limitation rider in play, or does a mind whip just not work on a creature with no mind?

Or similarly (but not a spell): If you stunning strike a creature that is immune to the incapacitated condition, do the other bullets still affect it?

26. - Top - End - #896

Griffon

Q368

If you cast a spell on a monster, but it is immune to the spell's damage type, is the monster also immune to any of the spells riders?

For example: If you cast tasha's mind whip on a stone golem, is the action limitation rider in play, or does a mind whip just not work on a creature with no mind?

Or similarly (but not a spell): If you stunning strike a creature that is immune to the incapacitated condition, do the other bullets still affect it?
    Q368
    To the first question: damage and debuffs are independent effects of the same spell unless explicated otherwise (e.g. "while damaged in this way, the target cannot take reactions," etc.).
    To the second question: if you cast Tasha's Mind Whip on a stone golem (and it fails its saving throw, on which it has advantage), it suffers the action limitation but is immune to the damage.
    To the third question: Any creature that is immune to the incapacitated condition should be immune to the stunned condition as well. However, a creature who is immune to incapacitation but not, somehow, to stun would, if stunned, be immobile, speak only falteringly, fail Strength and Dexterity saves automatically, and suffer from attacks made against it with advantage, but would still be able to take actions and reactions.
    Last edited by Narbaculus; 2022-09-06 at 10:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #897

OldWizardGuy

Q364

A364 Clarification

In this sage advice, it is very nearly stated that passive is ok for all skill checks with the understanding it is intended for DM's to use them to either keep things secret or speed up play.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q369

Twinned Spell Metamagic states that a spell cannot be twinned if it targets more than one target. Chaos bolt targets only one person BUT it can potentially jump to another target if the 2d8 rolled for damage are the same number. Does the "jumping to another target" prevent Chaos Bolt from being Twinned?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Q: In Strip #X, why didn't character Y take action Z? If they had done so, they could have avoided a whole lot of trouble.

A: You just answered your own question. The strip is ABOUT the trouble these characters get in; if a tactic would result in an effortless solution to their latest problem, there would be little point in showing it, see?

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
    Q369

Twinned Spell Metamagic states that a spell cannot be twinned if it targets more than one target. Chaos bolt targets only one person BUT it can potentially jump to another target if the 2d8 rolled for damage are the same number. Does the "jumping to another target" prevent Chaos Bolt from being Twinned?
    A369

Unclear from the Rules as Written, but Crawford has previously said green-flame blade cannot be twinned, so it seems the same would apply to chaos bolt.

Powers &8^]

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q370

The damage reduction of Uncanny Dodge and Rage stack, right? Uncanny dodge halves the damage and rage provides resistance to the damage, so these are different effects that can both be applied to a single attack, right?