New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

A 396

Several water vehicles are given statblocks in Ghosts of Saltmarsh, I believe the rowboat is the only vehicle that is Large instead of Gargantuan. But I think a very small sailing ship could potentially qualify, if it differs from the usual one listed in the PHB and GoS. It would probably be really good thing to check with a DM.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Q397

if i pick up the Magic Initiate feat and pick up the Warlock's Eldrich Blast cantrip, will that spell still grow in power as i level up? or is it locked to a single beam of 1d10 damage?

Playing Baulder's gate 3 and picked up the feat on my 4th level bard. feeling like it's doing less damage then the party warlock's, and not sure if that's because the warlock has something that buffs the spell, or if my bard is stuck with the lowest-level version of the spell.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #963
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Q397

if i pick up the Magic Initiate feat and pick up the Warlock's Eldrich Blast cantrip, will that spell still grow in power as i level up? or is it locked to a single beam of 1d10 damage?

Playing Baulder's gate 3 and picked up the feat on my 4th level bard. feeling like it's doing less damage then the party warlock's, and not sure if that's because the warlock has something that buffs the spell, or if my bard is stuck with the lowest-level version of the spell.
    A 397

It scales.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q397
    feeling like it's doing less damage then the party warlock's, and not sure if that's because the warlock has something that buffs the spell
    A397

To elaborate on the above, level 2+ warlocks may choose from a number of invocations as a class feature, one of which adds their CHA bonus to the damage of each beam.

While there is a feat that lets non-warlocks take an invocation, there are several which have prerequisites, including that one. One of the limitations of the feat is that any invocation w/ prerequisites requires you to both meet those and be a warlock.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q397

A397 continuum. It scales depending on your character level, but without being a Warlock you won't get your Charisma to damage, because it's an Eldritch Invocation called Agonizing Blast the Party Warlock (Wyll) likely has chosen.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #966
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hairfish View Post
    A397

While there is a feat that lets non-warlocks take an invocation, there are several which have prerequisites, including that one. One of the limitations of the feat is that any invocation w/ prerequisites requires you to both meet those and be a warlock.
    One more addendum - the feat in question (Eldritch Adept) is not in BG3 save perhaps via modding. So a non-Warlock has no way to make their Eldritch Blast as powerful as that of a Warlock. Your best bet is likely going to be multiclassing/dipping to pick up Agonizing Blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #967
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q398
    say, a wizard uses Planar Ally and requests a Balor. He will ask Balor to ravage the settlement for five minutes, getting 500gp in return. Is this OK? Can wizard be provided with another demon? Lower CR? What are the limitations of Planar Ally?

thanks

8. - Top - End - #968
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HoboKnight View Post
    Q398
    say, a wizard uses Planar Ally and requests a Balor. He will ask Balor to ravage the settlement for five minutes, getting 500gp in return. Is this OK? Can wizard be provided with another demon? Lower CR? What are the limitations of Planar Ally?

thanks
    A398

There is no RAW here. The outcome of this spell is almost entirely subject to DM fiat. The only guarantee is that you get a celestial, elemental, or fiend that's loyal to the entity you asked for help when you performed the spell.

The rules of the spell explicitly say the DM is under no obligation to give you the creature you want, nor for it to agree to any deal you propose.

That said, the guidelines provided in the spell's description do say that a creature that likes the task might agree to perform the task at a reduced rate or even for free and a non-hazardous task may also merit a discounted rate. Unless this is a particularly well-defended settlement, both of those considerations would probably apply to a balor.
    Last edited by Hairfish; 2023-09-21 at 01:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q 399

If a Samurai Fighter uses Fighting Spirit and decides to attack with Unarmed Attack, do they get the advantage on the attack? Since fighting spirit says advantage on all weapon attack rolls.

Fighting Spirit
    Starting at 3rd level, your intensity in battle can shield you and help you strike true. As a bonus action on your turn, you can give yourself advantage on all weapon attack rolls until the end of the current turn. When you do so, you also gain 5 temporary hit points. The number of hit points increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 10 at 10th level and 15 at 15th level.

You can use this feature three times. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Shomeking View Post
    Q 399

If a Samurai Fighter uses Fighting Spirit and decides to attack with Unarmed Attack, do they get the advantage on the attack? Since fighting spirit says advantage on all weapon attack rolls.

Fighting Spirit
    Starting at 3rd level, your intensity in battle can shield you and help you strike true. As a bonus action on your turn, you can give yourself advantage on all weapon attack rolls until the end of the current turn. When you do so, you also gain 5 temporary hit points. The number of hit points increases when you reach certain levels in this class, increasing to 10 at 10th level and 15 at 15th level.

You can use this feature three times. You regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.
    A399

Unarmed attacks are weapon attacks, because they're not spell attacks and those are the only two highest-level categories of attacks[1]. However, they are not attacks with weapons, which matters for some abilities (e.g. Improved Divine Smite).

Thus, a Samurai who uses Fighting Spirit and then punches someone has advantage on the attack roll.

[1] The hierarchy goes:

1. Weapon vs Spell. This determines what modifier is applied (in the absence of other features)--Weapon attacks use STR or DEX, depending on the weapon. Spell attacks use INT/WIS/CHA depending on the feature that granted them. Spell attacks are also automatically magical.

2. Ranged vs Melee. Ranged attacks incur disadvantage if an enemy is within 5 feet, even if that enemy is not the target of the attack. Melee attacks do not. You can make a ranged weapon attack with a melee weapon by throwing it (either via the thrown property or as an improvised weapon or some other feature). You can make a Melee Weapon Attack with a ranged weapon by using it as an improvised weapon.

3. With a(n) [melee|ranged] weapon/-- Some abilities specify that they only apply to attacks made with a specific type of weapon (usually melee or ranged). These exclude Unarmed Attacks, because Unarmed Attacks are not weapons, despite being used for Weapon Attacks. Some are even more specific--Melee Weapon Attack with a Melee Weapon is a theoretically-possible (although I'm unaware of any that are that specific).

The statement is always [melee|ranged] [weapon|spell] attack [with a [qualifier] weapon]. Things in [square brackets] are not necessary--if not stated, they apply to all categories of that value. Thus, if it just says "you have advantage on attack rolls", that means all attack rolls, regardless of source. Fighting Spirit specifies weapon attack rolls, so it doesn't apply to spell attacks. But applies to all non-spell attack rolls.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 400
    Can cantrips be counterspelled? There was a disagreement between the DM and another player in a campaign I'm in. I think they can, but a plot development hinges on this, so I need the confirmation.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dualight View Post
    Q 400
    Can cantrips be counterspelled? There was a disagreement between the DM and another player in a campaign I'm in. I think they can, but a plot development hinges on this, so I need the confirmation.
    A 400
    A cantrip is a level 0 spell, so Counterspell will cause that casting of the cantrip to fail without requiring an ability check.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Orc in the Playground

Q 401
    Enhanced Bond from Wildfire Druid
    If I cast Scorching Ray, does the damage only apply to one ray or each ray by RAW?
    If I cast Healing Spirit, does it apply 1d8 extra healing each time it heals? or only once?

14. - Top - End - #974

Quote Originally Posted by Wacky89 View Post
    Q 401
    Enhanced Bond from Wildfire Druid
    If I cast Scorching Ray, does the damage only apply to one ray or each ray by RAW?
    If I cast Healing Spirit, does it apply 1d8 extra healing each time it heals? or only once?
    A 401

Whenever you cast a spell that deals fire damage or restores hit points while your wildfire spirit is summoned, roll a d8, and you gain a bonus equal to the number rolled to one damage or healing roll of the spell.

You roll the d8 only for one roll of any spell. So one ray, the first roll of healing spirit and so on.

Remember that for spells simultaneously hitting many enemies, you roll damage only once and apply it to everyone. So if you somehow cast fireball with this feature, you'd deal the extra 1d8 to everyone hit.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 402
    The Mighty Servant of Leuk-O is an artifact that can behave as a creature with immunity to all conditions except prone and invisible. If it is brought to 0 hit points, what happens? It cannot become unconscious or incapacitated because it is immune to those conditions. If they count as 'conditions', it may be immune to being dead or dying. What is supposed to happen to an artifact that cannot be incapacitated, but has not yet met the specific conditions for its destruction?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #976

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 402
    The Mighty Servant of Leuk-O is an artifact that can behave as a creature with immunity to all conditions except prone and invisible. If it is brought to 0 hit points, what happens? It cannot become unconscious or incapacitated because it is immune to those conditions. If they count as 'conditions', it may be immune to being dead or dying. What is supposed to happen to an artifact that cannot be incapacitated, but has not yet met the specific conditions for its destruction?
    A 402 For starters, the conditions the Servant is immune to are listed in its statblock, so yes, it can "die". And dropping to 0 hit points means unconsciousness for PCs; while the DM can of course choose to implement that for monsters as well, the baseline rule is that if a creature other than a player drops to 0 hit points, it dies. The Servant has a Regeneration trait, but it explicitly doesn't function when it is at 0. The same trait also mentions repairing the Servant, though it doesn't say how and nothing of the kind is included in the item's description either. I suppose the method is up to the DM here.

Now, the Servant can act as both a creature and an item, but these can certainly be separate states. As a creature, the Servant "dies" when it drops at 0 hit points and getting it back to function requires its repair so its Regeneration can kick in. However, just because its creature iteration is "dead" doesn't mean that the item is destroyed; hell, the Servant can literally explode into pieces and it still isn't considered destroyed. So no rules are broken here; the item still functions, per the rules, and the creature does not, also per the rules.

I won't claim there's no weirdness here or that this is perfectly intuitive, but that's the most reasonable read I can give.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 402

Can a Divine Soul sorcerer use subtle spell on Geas, given the much longer casting time than for other ‘charm’ spells?

18. - Top - End - #978
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    Q 402

Can a Divine Soul sorcerer use subtle spell on Geas, given the much longer casting time than for other ‘charm’ spells?
    A 402
    Yes. Unlike metamagics like Quicken Spell (which specifically only works with spells that take 1 action to cast), Subtle Spell doesn't have any restrictions on what sort of spell you use it on.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 403

The Order of Scribes wizard's Manifest Mind feature states "Whenever you cast a wizard spell on your turn, you can cast it as if you were in the spectral mind’s space, instead of your own, using its senses."

Spirit Guardians (as acquired to wizard spell list from the Lorehold or Orzhov Initiate background) has a range of Self (15 foot circle). So as I understand it, it can be cast through Manifest Mind but then after casting and for the duration, the range still extends from one's self rather than either the Manifested Mind or the space it occupies.

What is the correct interpretation of this combination, given the specific language and range involved?

Relevant Treantmonk interpretation below (his take is that no, the combo doesn't allow SG on the MM beyond casting)

https://youtu.be/jJvg7-FHUlI?si=cNOVY8cw-r2vvuJ-&t=877

Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #980
    Dwarf in the Playground

The fighter's Unarmed Fighting Fighting Style contains the following language:
    At the start of each of your turns, you can deal 1d4 bludgeoning damage to one creature grappled by you.
    This leads me to the following questions:
    Q404: If the grappled creature has resistance or immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks, does this resistance/immunity apply to this bludgeoning damage from starting the turn while grappling the creature?

Q405: do any modifiers apply to the 1d4 bludgeoning damage?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 403 To my understanding, if a rule states that you cast a spell as if you were in a space (whether your own or someone/something else's), the spell functions for its whole duration as stated.

As an aside, whatever Treantmonk says is irrelevant. The guy isn't a Wizards of the Coast (or, more specifically, D&D Team) employee, so whatever he says are just his own interpretations or opinions. Nothing more. You'd do well to just ignore him as far as rules interpretations go. In other words, his words don't necessarily follow RAW, but rather his own interpretation of RAI (and talking about RAI is a can of worms best left unopened)

Q404: Yes.

Q405: No.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2023-12-08 at 04:32 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #982

A403 Dispute: I agree with Treantmonk's reading. Spirit Guardians surrounds/emanates from you (as do some similar spells like Antimagic Field), so casting them through your Manifest Mind does not allow you to emanate them remotely. Nothing in Manifest Mind's wording changes the fact that those spells surround and emanate from you.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-12-08 at 10:03 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A403 Continued: My argument is based on that otherwise the AoE would teleport from the Manifest Mind's space instantly to wherever You are on the next turn as a no action, which may or may not be considered cheesy, depending on the circumstances, SINCE because the spell emanates and surrounds You as the center of the emanation.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #984

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A403 Continued: My argument is based on that otherwise the AoE would teleport from the Manifest Mind's space instantly to wherever You are on the next turn as a no action, which may or may not be considered cheesy, depending on the circumstances, SINCE because the spell emanates and surrounds You as the center of the emanation.
    Per the dispute resolution procedure in the opening post, feel free to start a thread on manifest mind to discuss further if you wish.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q404: Yes.
    R404: I had the same thought initially, but then I realized the questioner may have a point. The 1d4 damage is not an attack. The immunity/resistance clauses for physical damage specifically say "from nonmagical attacks". As a result, such a creature does not reduce the damage taken from, say, falling from a great height. Wouldn't the Unarmed Fighting Style damage be similar?

Powers &8^]

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q406

Is there any RAW published that allows or prohibits CONJURE ANIMALS from conjuring swarms? For example "Swarm of Ravens CR 1/4"

27. - Top - End - #987

A406: No. This was answered in Sage Advice as well.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #988
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q407: A Simulacrum you create obeys your commands without qualification. Should it follow orders from someone convincingly disguised as you? In the same vein, would it obey you if it cannot recognize you? Or does the text imply it inherently knows who "you" are?

29. - Top - End - #989

A407: As written it follows your commands, not those of other people who look like you. Anything beyond that is up to your DM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #990
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q408: Do characters under the influence of hypnotic pattern retain any memory from their time being charmed?

For example, if a thief stole their jewelled necklace, would the person remember the theft (but was just incapable of responding) or is the spell a total memory ‘blackspot’?