New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q48

Ugh, might have already asked this and lost the answer and if so apologies, but:

If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?
    A48: No. There are no RAW that burden the DM with overlaying stat bumps on the fly.

Edit: By the way where are you seeing this? It’s not in the MM.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2020-06-12 at 01:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Re 48
    From MM342, top left corner:

Customizing NPCs
    There are many easy ways to customize the NPCs in this appendix for your home campaign.
    Racial Traits. You can add racial traits to an NPC. For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25 feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC doesn't alter its challenge rating. For more on racial traits, see the Player's Handbook.

To answer Mr. Adventurer, there is no need to adjust an NPC's ability scores. You should only do so if you feel the change would make a meaningful difference in the NPC's impression upon the characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    A48: No. There are no RAW that burden the DM with overlaying stat bumps on the fly.

Edit: By the way where are you seeing this? It’s not in the MM.
    Re 48

Customizing NPCs
    There are many easy ways to customize the NPCs in this appendix for your home campaign.
    Racial Traits. You can add racial traits to an NPC. For example, a halfling druid might have a speed of 25 feet and the Lucky trait. Adding racial traits to an NPC doesn't alter its challenge rating. For more on racial traits, see the Player's Handbook.

To answer Mr. Adventurer, there is no need to adjust an NPC's ability scores. You should only do so if you feel the change would make a meaningful difference in the NPC's impression upon the characters.
    FWIW:

I wouldn't be doing this on the fly: I prepare my encounters.

This isn't about need, it's about 'should'. Applying any racial traits to a "humanoid (any)" creature would be a straight upgrade, since they otherwise have no additional ability score points nor racial powers.

But at this point I think we are beyond the purpose of this thread.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Can you use the "Shape Water" cantrip to "waterbend," so to speak?

The Shape Water cantrip has a few different effects, including freezing water, changing the color of water, etc.
    It also lets you move water, but states that the amount of water you move has to fit within a 5' cube.

Q49 Can this be used to take an amount water out of a larger body of water? For example, can I use this cantrip to lift a few tablespoons of water out of the ocean?

Q50 Can the water that is moved with the spell be moved outside of the original 5' cube? For example, can I take those few tablespoons and move them 10' into the air?

The wording of the spell is a little confusing, because it separates "instantaneously" moving the water from "animating" the water into simple shapes.
    At the same time, it's probably worded ambiguously so that players can have a lot of leeway in how they use the spell.

Thank you all!

5. - Top - End - #125

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q48If a monster/NPC entry says "humanoid (any)", should I apply the racial ability score adjustments to the monster's stat block? E.g. Thugs have listed ability scores of STR 15, DEX 11, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 11. If I put a Human Thug into my encounter, should I increase each of its ability scores by 1 - and thereby increase the creature's attack and damage roll, AC, and Intimidation skill (plus other ability checks that are not noted)?
    Re 48

This isn't about need, it's about 'should'. Applying any racial traits to a "humanoid (any)" creature would be a straight upgrade, since they otherwise have no additional ability score points nor racial powers.
    Re 48

To give a bit more info which is relevant and might be useful: DMG, page 279-282. It expands upon npc creation and modification, including racial trait inclusion.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2020-06-12 at 04:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post
    Can you use the "Shape Water" cantrip to "waterbend," so to speak?

The Shape Water cantrip has a few different effects, including freezing water, changing the color of water, etc.
    It also lets you move water, but states that the amount of water you move has to fit within a 5' cube.

Q49 Can this be used to take an amount water out of a larger body of water? For example, can I use this cantrip to lift a few tablespoons of water out of the ocean?

Q50 Can the water that is moved with the spell be moved outside of the original 5' cube? For example, can I take those few tablespoons and move them 10' into the air?

The wording of the spell is a little confusing, because it separates "instantaneously" moving the water from "animating" the water into simple shapes.
    At the same time, it's probably worded ambiguously so that players can have a lot of leeway in how they use the spell.

Thank you all!
    A49: Yes. A few tablespoons, “…fits within a 5-foot cube.”

A50: Yes, but you can only move it, “..up to 5 feet in any direction.”

7. - Top - End - #127

Q51

I guess this is more of an opinion issue, but would an earth elemental be allowed to attack from underground without ever resurfacing? It's got the reach, tremorsense and a burrow speed, so would its Earth Glide also allow it to punch through a few feet of mud without ever making itself visible to an enemy?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q52
    Am I correct in my reading a Rod of Absorption can only ever absorb 50 levels of spells? That using the absorbed spell levels does not give back levels of absorption?

Q53
    Am I correct that a Staff of the Magi does not have the hard limit of only absorbing 50 levels of spells ever? That casting spells out of it gives you back levels to use in absorption?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #129

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Jackal View Post
    Q51

I guess this is more of an opinion issue, but would an earth elemental be allowed to attack from underground without ever resurfacing? It's got the reach, tremorsense and a burrow speed, so would its Earth Glide also allow it to punch through a few feet of mud without ever making itself visible to an enemy?
    A51: Yes. It’s one of my favorite attack vectors for these creatures.

10. - Top - End - #130

BarbarianGuy

Q52
    Am I correct in my reading a Rod of Absorption can only ever absorb 50 levels of spells? That using the absorbed spell levels does not give back levels of absorption?

Q53
    Am I correct that a Staff of the Magi does not have the hard limit of only absorbing 50 levels of spells ever? That casting spells out of it gives you back levels to use in absorption?
    A52: Yes, both of those statements are true.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

A51: Yes. It’s one of my favorite attack vectors for these creatures.
    I think this isn't clear from the RAW. Earth Glide doesn't reference attacks, only movement.

Personally as a DM, I would rule that at best the elemental could leave part of its body underground, gaining a degree of Cover.

12. - Top - End - #132

BarbarianGuy

I think this isn't clear from the RAW. Earth Glide doesn't reference attacks, only movement.

Personally as a DM, I would rule that at best the elemental could leave part of its body underground, gaining a degree of Cover.
    R51: Their description specifically states, “Earth elementals glide through rock and earth as though they were liquid.” Therefore the Underwater Combat rules would apply since water is a liquid. With all of the stipulations that those rules require.

They would indeed also have cover unless their attacker had a way of ignoring cover and treating earth as a liquid.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q54 I have one first level spell left. We long rest. Just before my long rest is done, can I cast Mage armor, then finish my long rest and get all my spells back, giving myself Mage armor for the beginning of my day, with a full spell bank?

14. - Top - End - #134

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q54 I have one first level spell left. We long rest. Just before my long rest is done, can I cast Mage armor, then finish my long rest and get all my spells back, giving myself Mage armor for the beginning of my day, with a full spell bank?
    A54: No. “If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity — at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity — the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.”

15. - Top - End - #135

WolfInSheepsClothing

A54: No. “If the rest is interrupted by a period of strenuous activity — at least 1 hour of walking, fighting, casting spells, or similar adventuring activity — the characters must begin the rest again to gain any benefit from it.”
    Contesting 54

Yes, it is possible, assuming a character can know when spell slots will be refreshed at all to begin with.

"1 hour of" - list. If "1 hour" didn't apply to anything that is separated by the comma (ending in ", or") a different timeframe would be needed, like a new verb would be needed to change what action is applied to that particular element of the list: "Walking on brick roads, catwalks, or carpets causes ..." is different from "Walking on roads, climbing on catwalks, or caressing a carpet all carry the same risk of ...".

There is no other dependency to rest on: for example: "a period of strenous activity - at least ??? fighting" just doesn't work.
    "A period of strenous activity - fighting" while correct and working as a phrase, changes the meaning that the presence of "1 hour of" clearly defines: that that part of the text is there to make explicit how long the "period" is. Thus such a meaning is not reasonable conclusion for intended reading: it's not just a list of activities.
    Even if we were to take it as correct there's no defined period: it would still be incorrect to say "No" as a RAW answer. It would simply be "undefined".
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2020-06-17 at 02:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Contesting 54

Yes, it is possible, assuming a character can know when spell slots will be refreshed at all to begin with.

"1 hour of" - list. If "1 hour" didn't apply to anything that is separated by the comma (ending in ", or") a different timeframe would be needed, like a new verb would be needed to change what action is applied to that particular element of the list: "Walking on brick roads, catwalks, or carpets causes ..." is different from "Walking on roads, climbing on catwalks, or caressing a carpet all carry the same risk of ...".

There is no other dependency to rest on: for example: "a period of strenous activity - at least ??? fighting" just doesn't work.
    "A period of strenous activity - fighting" while correct and working as a phrase, changes the meaning that the presence of "1 hour of" clearly defines: that that part of the text is there to make explicit how long the "period" is. Thus such a meaning is not reasonable conclusion for intended reading: it's not just a list of activities.
    Even if we were to take it as correct there's no defined period: it would still be incorrect to say "No" as a RAW answer. It would simply be "undefined".
    R54

You are parsing the rules in a way that most people wouldn't. Discussing this would go beyond the scope of this thread, but OP or you can create a new one if you would like to further discuss this.

Casting spells during a rest interrupts it. This is why Sorcerers often use Extend metamagic with left over slots to do the same thing. An extended Mage Armor would last for 16 hours, after 8 hours of rest this results in the same effect as OP was asking about while abiding by the rules.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Re 54:

To interpret the rules in that way would imply that characters sometimes spend a full hour, 600 rounds, in combat or spellcasting. As this is something that is not in any way supported by the game system, this interpretation must be incorrect. It is, however, quite possible for characters to spend that amount of time walking.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Re 54:

To interpret the rules in that way would imply that characters sometimes spend a full hour, 600 rounds, in combat or spellcasting. As this is something that is not in any way supported by the game system, this interpretation must be incorrect. It is, however, quite possible for characters to spend that amount of time walking.
    I agree with you but several spells have a casting time of an hour or longer.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Q55

Are Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade legitimate subjects of the War Caster feat cast-as-Reaction benefit? Is Booming Blade a legitimate subject of Twin Spell metamagic?
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-06-18 at 08:18 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140

BarbarianGuy

Q55

Are Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade legitimate subjects of the War Caster feat cast-as-Reaction benefit? Is Booming Blade a legitimate subject of Twin Spell metamagic?
    A55: Yes! You’re Casting a Spell that affects 1 person.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

A 55 correction:

Booming Blade is a spell that affects only one creature. Green Flame Blade, however, can affect two creatures.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Q56

Do all constructs wink out of existence in an Antimagic Field, since they were created by magic? If not, where can I read about this?
    Last edited by Mr Adventurer; 2020-06-21 at 02:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

BarbarianGuy

Q56

Do all constructs wink out of existence in an Antimagic Field, since they were created by magic? If not, where can I read about this?
    A56: Depends on the construct. Some are created by magic, while others are naturally occurring.

From the PH (Antimagic Field):
    Creatures and Objects. A creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence in the sphere. Such a creature instantly reappears once the space the creature occupied is no longer within the sphere.

From the MM (Creature Types):
    Constructs are made, not born. Some are programmed by their creators to follow a simple set of instructions, while others are imbued with sentience and capable of independent thought. Golems are the iconic constructs. Many creatures native to the outer plane of Mechanus, such as modrons, are constructs shaped from the raw material of the plane by the will of more powerful creatures.

So a golem (creature type: construct; description: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]) would wink out of existence within the field, but a modron (creature type: construct; description: "...a new modron is created by Primus…" would not.

That being said, it's generally good advice to talk over any spell and especially a high level spell, with your DM to see how it works at their table.
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2020-06-22 at 08:22 AM. Reason: A word. Correct attribution.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

Q56

A56 Certain constructs (the 3 animated objects) have a trait called Antimagic Susceptibility which says they are incapacitated inside an Antimagic Field. I would think from that we can assume any creature that doesn't have a similar trait isn't affected by Antimagic Field (unless they've been summoned by a spell).

25. - Top - End - #145

WolfInSheepsClothing

A56: Depends on the construct. Some are created by magic, while others are naturally occurring.

[...]

So a golem (creature type: construct; description: "…are magical constructs...") would wink out of existence within the field, but a modron (creature type: construct; description: "...a new modron is created by Primus…" would not.

That being said, it's generally good advice to talk over any spell and especially a high level spell, with your DM to see how it works at their table.
    Contesting 56:

I can't find any mention of the golem being "magical" anywhere in the text. The highlighted part, as far as i know, doesn't exist. Golems are no more "magical" than a weapon created with the Fabricate spell as far as the text goes. By what you provided as quotes for the types, there's no mention of them being magical, as there isn't in their own description.
    Last edited by ThePolarBear; 2020-06-22 at 03:11 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    Contesting 56:

I can't find any mention of the golem being "magical" anywhere in the text. The highlighted part, as far as i know, doesn't exist. Golems are no more "magical" than a weapon created with the Fabricate spell as far as the text goes. By what you provided as quotes for the types, there's no mention of them being magical, as there isn't in their own description.
    R56: I’ve updated my answer to this text: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]).

27. - Top - End - #147

WolfInSheepsClothing

R56: I’ve updated my answer to this text: “Stone golems are magical constructs..." [Basic Rules, p.154]).
    Thanks for the quote. An interesting difference between the BRs and the MM. Note, however, that your conclusion is still lacking: Stone Golems are magical constructs. Other golems still are not. "So a golem" only works for Stone Golems.

(Notice: i'm completely disregarding the "or created by magic" approach, here. Just want to make sure it is known that RAW i could agree that golems DO disappear because of that, but not for the reasons you bring forward. But that's a whole other can of worms, for which we do have RAI: not meant to.)

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Re 56:

There might also be a distinction between "created by magic" and "animated by magic". Even the constructs that are known to be susceptible to an Antimagic Field don't wink out of existence; they simply cease to be animated.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Q57

Is the creature affected by a vengeance paladin’s Abjure Enemy still frightened if the paladin goes unconscious?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Q57

Is the creature affected by a vengeance paladin’s Abjure Enemy still frightened if the paladin goes unconscious?
    A57

To my knowledge, there's no need for a feared creature's target to be conscious in order for the fear effect to stay in place. Abjure Enemy has no pseudo-concentration mechanic, so I don't see any reason why the effect wouldn't last for the full minute, even if the paladin falls unconscious.