New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e V: The Disadvantage Strikes Back

Q58

Priest has Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon active. Acolyte casts sanctuary on him. On his turn Fighter fails save against guardians. On his turn priest attacks with spiritual weapon. Which, if any, of those will dispell sanctuary cast on the priest?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

A 58:

The Spirit Guardians does not end Sanctuary. It's a spell that affects enemies, but the character isn't casting it, and it's the casting that ends Sanctuary.

Attacking with the Spiritual Weapon does end Sanctuary, since the caster of the Spiritual Weapon rolls an attack roll, and is therefore making an attack.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    Q58

Priest has Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon active. Acolyte casts sanctuary on him. On his turn Fighter fails save against guardians. On his turn priest attacks with spiritual weapon. Which, if any, of those will dispell sanctuary cast on the priest?
    A58

The moment the Priest deals damage with Spirit Guardians. That's one of the conditions that make Sanctuary end and the first one to happen in the order provided.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Q59

When rolling a treasure hoard, do you roll once per column (gems or art objects; then magic items) or do you roll 1d100 and apply the same result from both columns?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ThePolarBear View Post
    A58

The moment the Priest deals damage with Spirit Guardians. That's one of the conditions that make Sanctuary end and the first one to happen in the order provided.
    I may be missing something but I don’t see doing damage as a condition that makes Sanctuary end:

“If the warded creature makes an Attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.”

6. - Top - End - #156

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Adventurer View Post
    Q59

When rolling a treasure hoard, do you roll once per column (gems or art objects; then magic items) or do you roll 1d100 and apply the same result from both columns?
    A59: You use the same roll for both columns.

From the D&D Beyond MM: “Every treasure hoard contains a random number of coins, as shown at the top of each table. Roll a d100 and consult the table to determine how many gemstones or art objects the hoard contains, if any. Use the same roll to determine whether the hoard contains magic items.

7. - Top - End - #157

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AHF View Post
    I may be missing something but I don’t see doing damage as a condition that makes Sanctuary end:

“If the warded creature makes an Attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.”
    R58: From: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/d.../PH-Errata.pdf

Sanctuary (p. 273). The final sentence now reads, “If the warded creature makes an attack, casts a spell that affects an enemy, or deals damage to another creature, this spell ends.”
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2020-06-23 at 09:52 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q60 Can a permanent teleportation circle on the Material Plane be a target for a teleport to the equivalent spot on the Ethereal Plane? If one is on the Ethereal Plane, does one need to target a teleportation circle specifically made on that plane?
    Last edited by No brains; 2020-06-23 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #159

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q60 Can a permanent teleportation circle on the Material Plane be a target for a teleport to the equivalent spot on the Ethereal Plane? If one is on the Ethereal Plane, does one need to target a teleportation circle specifically made on that plane?
    A60: You must be on the same plane of existence. The first sentence of Teleportation Circle states this requirement.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R58: From: https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/d.../PH-Errata.pdf

Sanctuary (p. 273). The final sentence now reads, “If the warded creature makes an attack, casts a spell that affects an enemy, or deals damage to another creature, this spell ends.”
    Thanks for the source on this one! You guys do a great job.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q61 What constitutes as a weapon damage roll?

A barbarian attacking and hitting with a weapon that does 1 damage (e.g. a torch) can't add their strength bonus or rage damage bonus as those are only added to damage rolls. Would that barbarian choose the zealot path to add 1d6+1/2 barbarian level extra radiant damage, would they have a damage roll now?

Q62 If yes, would the damage added via strength and rage damage bonus added as fire damage (the torch) or radiant damage (the roll)?
    Last edited by The Shoeless; 2020-06-24 at 02:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Q63

Some guidance please ?

What are the rules that determine what a character can do if he is ''mind controlled'' and where are they please ?

My group is having a discussion about reactions and altered state of minds

I cant find the relevant passages

Thanks in advance

K
    Last edited by Kracky; 2020-06-27 at 01:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

A 63:

There are no general rules for mind control. The rules are all in the individual effects that produce the control. For instance, if the character is affected by the Dominate Person spell, then the rules are in the description of that spell.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q64

If a creature has multiple types of movement (eg, a walk speed, a fly speed, and a swim speed), can it use it's full range of each of those on its turn? Could, say, a black dragon swim for 40 ft, then surface and fly for another 80 ft as part its normal movement (ie, without using an action to dash)?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A64

Nope. If you have a 30' walk distance and 60' fly distance you can walk 15' then switch to flying but the 15' come off your fly distance so you have 45' fly left.

PHB pg 190

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q65: Can a monk using an active Animated Shield still use Unarmored Defense? (In other words, if you're not holding it, can you still be wielding it?) By extension, can you use the Protection fighting style if your Animated Shield is active?
    Last edited by ByzantiumBhuka; 2020-06-28 at 07:50 PM.
    A student by vocation, a D&Der by avocation (a wizard by evocation).

Order of the Stick Trivia XXIII: 50% More Entertaining than Speculating About MitD!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

A 65:
    The shield "protects you as if you were wielding it". This says to me that, for purposes of it protecting you, it's as if you were wielding it, but for any other purpose, you're not wielding it. So a monk's unarmored defense would still work, but a fighter's protection fighting style would not.

18. - Top - End - #168

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Shoeless View Post
    Q61 What constitutes as a weapon damage roll?

A barbarian attacking and hitting with a weapon that does 1 damage (e.g. a torch) can't add their strength bonus or rage damage bonus as those are only added to damage rolls. Would that barbarian choose the zealot path to add 1d6+1/2 barbarian level extra radiant damage, would they have a damage roll now?

Q62 If yes, would the damage added via strength and rage damage bonus added as fire damage (the torch) or radiant damage (the roll)?
    A61: It's literally the difference between adding a flat amount of damage or a random amount in the form of a die/dice roll.

Notes:
    • Unless otherwise specified in the description you always add the relevant ability modifier: "When attacking with a weapon, you add your ability modifier — the same modifier used for the attack roll — to the damage."
    • Additionally you can add your Rage bonus as well: "Magic weapons, special abilities, and other factors can grant a bonus to damage."
      The underlined segments are my emphasis to illustrate that they don't specify a "roll" just "damage," even though they're in the subsection "Damage Rolls".
      (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/ba...at#DamageRolls)

A62: No. Both the ability modifier and rage bonuses specify "weapon."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q66 Can druids decide which cantrips to prepare just as they decide which spells to prepare, or is the cantrip list unchangeable except for adding one at 4th and 10th level?

20. - Top - End - #170

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q66 Can druids decide which cantrips to prepare just as they decide which spells to prepare, or is the cantrip list unchangeable except for adding one at 4th and 10th level?
    A66: No, they cannot.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q67

Is a simulacrum created by a changeling itself able to use the shapeshifter racial feature?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reynaerde View Post
    Q67

Is a simulacrum created by a changeling itself able to use the shapeshifter racial feature?
    A67 A simulacrum has all the statistics of the creature it's duplicating, and that would include racial traits.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q68 I attack the cleric. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I move to redirect my attack?

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q69 Does Dispel Magic work on Contagion?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

A 69:

It's a disease, so anything that cures a disease works on it, and it's also a spell effect, so anything that removes a spell effect also works on it. So yes, a Dispel Magic would work, though, since it's a 5th-level spell, the Dispel Magic would either need to be upcast, or have a chance of failure.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q68 I attack the cleric. I fail my sanctuary save. Can I move to redirect my attack?
    A68: YES Assuming the cleric/target is the one with SANCTUARY cast on them "on a failed save the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack/spell"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    A68: YES Assuming the cleric/target is the one with SANCTUARY cast on them "on a failed save the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack/spell"
    R68: The question was whether the attacker can move before attacking the new target.

Powers &8^]

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

A68

If you have movement remaining you can move before, during, or after BA and actions and split up movements as you like - so YES.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Q70 This is regarding the Cobbler’s Tools Maintain Shoes ability from Xanathars p. 80. The wording seems to allow the benefit—6 creatures traveling for 10 hours w/o exhaustion—day after day after day, because the cobbler could re-repair everyone’s shoes during every long rest. Is this correct?

30. - Top - End - #180

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q70 This is regarding the Cobbler’s Tools Maintain Shoes ability from Xanathars p. 80. The wording seems to allow the benefit—6 creatures traveling for 10 hours w/o exhaustion—day after day after day, because the cobbler could re-repair everyone’s shoes during every long rest. Is this correct?
    A70: That’s correct. It’s specifically called out as ‘part’ of their long rest!