New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Banned

Default Re: What are the video games with the longest and most intricate main storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Huh, maybe it's because I'm a noob (only played P:T fully through like twice, and years ago at that), but TNO-Deionarra romance seemed relatively minor, a piece of the puzzle. It's all about this guy discovering himself, so to speak.
    Yes and no. Deionara doesn't take a lot of screentime, to be sure. But she's the key to unlock the beginning, in the Furnace (is that what it's called?), and she's the key to unlocking the end, in the Fortress of Regrets. I wouldn't work as a computer game if it was all touch-feely lovey-dovey, but I feel fairly confident in my assumption that the designers deliberately built it as a love story.

It's like Dracula. Elizabetha doesn't get a lot of screentime either, but ... Dracula is most certainly a love story. All the great stories are, really.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: What are the video games with the longest and most intricate main storyline?

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Esquire View Post
    I think it could only be an anime. Their powers and the plot are pretty wacky. And explosively flashy. And Captain Vor can never die* in true anime antagonist fashion.
    I was thinking that they would more or less just make a series based on the cinematic trailer. Three Tenno wake up after a few millennia asleep and they set about exploring the solar system to find out what happened while they were gone, waking up other Warframes as they find them until... Well, until one of them finds Luna, to say the least.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Pathfinder Kingmaker is both long and quite intricate. Not the most thought-provoking, but that's not the matter here

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    Yes and no. Deionara doesn't take a lot of screentime, to be sure. But she's the key to unlock the beginning, in the Furnace (is that what it's called?), and she's the key to unlocking the end, in the Fortress of Regrets. I wouldn't work as a computer game if it was all touch-feely lovey-dovey, but I feel fairly confident in my assumption that the designers deliberately built it as a love story.

It's like Dracula. Elizabetha doesn't get a lot of screentime either, but ... Dracula is most certainly a love story. All the great stories are, really.
    I wouldn't even say that. Deionara is easily missed in the beginning, with no other tie-ins to her until the end of the game outside of a few mentions of your past.

And in those mentions? You use her. She's a powerful medium who's convinced you're the one, and you use her like a tool to do your bidding, like you do to all of your followers. You can even choose to lie to her to get her help.

I feel like the ending can come across as a bitter choice to use her one more time to end the cycle of abuse. A suicide of an immortal, toxic relationship of the universe's most ruthless being in existence.

Spoiler: Potentially unrelated, major spoilers
    Show
    The thing that I always like about PT is that it's all to escape punishment for an undisclosed sin. You abuse all of your friends, your lover, your family, convincing a powerful witch to love you, to gain immortality. Why? To stall the afterlife (Hell, obviously) long enough for to find a way to balance out your "karma" so you don't get tortured longer than anyone's ever been tortured for a crime that the game never specifies.

As if separating your mortality from your body, or abusing several lovers, or convincing several men you saved that their lives aren't worth living unless it's by serving you, or by teaching a psychopathic sadist pyromancy, wasn't enough. I'm not sure what the hell the Nameless One did to deserve trying so hard, but it's probably worth its own thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!