New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Into Ivy Mansion [IC]

Spoiler: Akmenos' recollections on constructs
    Show
    You know these creatures are called Duodrones, and they come from a family of constructs of varying complexity. As that list goes, these are relatively simple.

The construct is half way towards pulling the lever of the inactive construct as a sickly black and purple mass smacks it in the back of its chest. A short moment an arrow pierces it through the back of it's head and a small jolt of electricity jumps out of the opening in the carapace. The machine slumps forward and the group can hear the persistent whirring of the internal motors slow down and eventually stop before the whole body disintigrates into a giant pile of dust.

The other construct continues to charge at Tank in the doorway.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Tank will swiftly step to the charging construct and attempt to shove it prone. After, he'll make sure to be out of the doorway should a companion want to enter the room.

Spoiler: Strength (Athletics) check
    Show

(1d20+5)[16]
    Last edited by Tiegh; 2020-07-02 at 06:24 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos skirts into the room and hangs a left at he door, leaving Tank to bulldoze his way through the construct.

He aims his finger at the construct Tank is bullying and fires a blast once it has fallen prone.

[Spoiler = Eldrich Blast on the construct once Tank is clear of it.]
    (1d20+3)[14]
    (1d10+3)[6]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing no sign of the remaining creature slowing down, Ficus readies a blow with two hands on his staff, ready to strike after Tank pushes it down.

What are these? he wonders to himself, confused.

Spoiler: Ficus prepares to strike
    Show
    to hit: (1d20+1)[13]
    damage: (1d8-1)[5]

5. - Top - End - #95

OldWizardGuy

"Duodrones. Think mechanical golem. It appears as if the uncle had a passion for them. First Clatter, now these. I wonder if that's what did him in."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Both the blast from Akmenos' and the staff swing from Ficus go wide as the creature is barreled over by the large dragonborn.

The subsequent cacophony proves that Clatter isn't the only creature in this manor worthy of that name.

Almost immediately after the construct is knocked down it immediately stands up and steps into the doorway, swinging at the creature that knocked it over. It seems without the ringleader creature the basest decision making has taken over, and the threat is clear to this creation.

It jabs at Tank with both fists.

Spoiler: Duodrones attack on Tank
    Show

Attack 1:
    To hit:(1d20+2)[15]
    Damage:(1d4)[3]
    Attack 2:
    To hit:(1d20+2)[8]
    Damage:(1d4)[3]
    Last edited by kulanah; 2020-07-03 at 09:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass darts out from behind Akmenos, enchanted rapier drawn. She jabs at the construct’s hip joint, then slips behind Ficus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+6)[23]
    Rapier Damage (1d8+4)[9]
    Sneak Damage (2d6)[6]
    Cunning Action: Hide behind Ficus (1d20+7)[11]

8. - Top - End - #98

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos moves to put the table (?) between himself and the remaining construct. He lets loose another purple and black whirling mass at the construct.

[spoiler = Eldritch Blast at the construct]
    (1d20+3)[15]
    (1d10+3)[6]
    [/spoiler]

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Tank will strike the last construct with his right shield while small flames exit from the sides of his mouth.

Spoiler: Shield Attack
    Show

(1d20+5)[22]
    (1d4+3)[7]

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus quickly adjusts as best as he can and attempts once more to strike the construct.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    to hit: (1d20+1)[19]
    damage: (1d8-1)[7]

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

The poor construct is assaulted with a flurry of attacks from all directions. It attempts to focus on each assailant as the attacks come in, looking at the small halfling as she pops out from behind the previous assailant as the small rapier she carries pierces something that feels vital in its side. It then notices the now concerning glow that begins to emanate from the back of the invaders, before being pummeled with the blast of energy.
    The animated suit of armor barely has a chance to reorient before being slammed in the side of the head from the monstrous Dragonborn towering over it. The creature then stumbles, before being fully driven to the ground by the overhand swing of the normally docile Firbolg of the group.

The group collectively hears the sound of sand pouring as the creature begins to distingrate, dealfeated, much the same as the first one.

As you stop to breathe and look around you find yourself in a workshop, there are scattered parts on a workspace island in the middle of the room and various cabinets around the room. You see labels on some of the doors calling out different mechanical parts such as "cogs" or "bolts".

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Checking her rapier for nicks before sheathing it, Grass grumbles, "Some guest room. Seems we can't trust any of the map labels, 'specially not the ones with question marks. Is it safe for me to search the room or are there any active magical effects going on?"
    Last edited by hend6473; 2020-07-08 at 11:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103

OldWizardGuy

"I hope the map can be trusted. At least partially. I'm guessing the old man was done in by one of his robot helpers and I want to see his notes to get a feel of what he was working on. I'm hoping the room marked Library will have some clues."

Akmenos peers around the room.

"And I hope this room does as well. I'm guessing this is where he put together his minions."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

At the mention of hidden magics, Ficus perks up. He tucks his staff under his right arm and moves his left hand in a waving motion, moving slowly from shoulder height to his waist.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    Ficus will use Firbolg Magic and concentrate on detect magic until otherwise noted.

15. - Top - End - #105

OldWizardGuy

Once the room has been swept of hidden spear traps and magical doohickeys, Akmenos will Investigate the room with an eye towards books or materials on Duodrones.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[6]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Akmenos' search
    Show
    You move over to the island in the middle of the room and find a set of tinkers' tools. You end up playing with them, thinking about how they could be used, and what you could build with some time. The room goes mostly I searched.

Spoiler: Ficus' detect magic
    Show
    You detect nothing magical while in the room.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Assured that the magical dangers have passed, Grass does a systematic search of the room. She's focusing on anything valuable, dangerous, or hidden, but keeps an eye out for research notes and the like for Akmenos.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[9]

While doing so, she says, "I don't like the idea of just leaving these things here when we move on. What if they activate and attack us from behind? Can we use them ourselves or disable them?"

18. - Top - End - #108

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos mindlessly riffles through gears and cogs and other mechanical bits, hopelessly out of his league. The Great Old One has no use for the toys of mortals, and creating soulless automatons is a madness too far for Akmenos. Charleston has busied himself with pushing objects off the countertop and biting cords.

"I'm guessing they're keyed into obeying certain people or commands. Turning them on would lead to a fight. But we can just smash 'em right now to be safe. Unless someone wants to try and tinker with them first?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus’ face relaxes as his attempt at detecting magic reveals nothing unexpected. He shrugs his shoulders at the group and glances at each of the remaining constructs briefly.

We haven’t come across anyone else yet... But if you think we should get rid of ‘em, we can. I wouldn’t know the first place to start if we wanted to try this tinkering thing.

Spoiler: Concentration
    Show
    Ficus will continue to keep detect magic up for the duration of its full 10 minutes.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

To Grass: "I think the labels are what Tristan is planning on turning the rooms into."

To Akmenos: "I can smash 'em good."

To Ficus (looking at his staff): "Good whacking."

Tank stands in front of the off robots and watches them attentively.
    Last edited by Tiegh; 2020-07-12 at 04:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Grass's search
    Show
    You spend the next few moments going through the various drawers and cabinets and find a second complete set of tinker's tools.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass struggles to concentrate, distracted by the conversation and by the looming presence of the inactive constructs. Finding the tinker's tools, she pockets them and walks over to the constructs, her search of the room abandoned.

Grass circles the constructs warily, studying them from every angle. She looks for a safe way to open them up and check what's inside.

Spoiler: Arcana Check
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Grass' investigation of the golem
    Show
    You only have to follow the giant lever protruding from the chest of the golem for a short time before you find a valve. You're pretty sure if you sufficiently damaged that valve the golems would be permanently disabled.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Tank thinks aloud about the morality of the situation. He's speaking to no one in particular:

"I would never kill a helpless being, especially one that may be non-hostile. Clank aided us and showed his ability to learn [referring to the pan lid shield]. If these ones were turned on would they mindlessly attack us, or be able to become our friends?"
    Last edited by Tiegh; 2020-07-15 at 05:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus crouches down and uses his staff for support, pondering Tank's question. His frown deepens as he lets out a sharp sigh. "I wonder... Maybe we leave them for now. I um... I hadn't really thought of that."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass pauses in the middle of disabling the constructs. She turns to Tank and Ficus and asks them dubiously, "You really think you can turn 'em on and talk to 'em? 'Cause you're welcome to try, just let me get out of the way first."

Grass jumps off the construct and hides behind a bookcase, readying her bow in case the construct attacks whoever turns it on.
    Spoiler: Stealth check to hide
    Show
    (1d20+7)[25]

27. - Top - End - #117

OldWizardGuy

"I dont think they're creatures. And Clank would probably turn on us if his master commanded him to. They can be dangerous en masse."

Charleston is nowhere to be seen and completely disinterested in morality.

"If they are turned on, they will be dangerous."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Considering what his companions said, Tank's vote is to leave them alone (neither disable or activate them).

Tank moves to the doorway that they came in. Before stepping through he pauses. In Draconic, he thanks his shields (Mart & Throthar) for being reliable and quickly kisses both then steps back into the hallway.
    Last edited by Tiegh; 2020-07-18 at 12:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Scowling at Tank's retreating back, Grass puts away her bow and takes out the tinker's tools again. Turning to Ficus and Akmenos, she says, "If they're not people, then they're weapons. If we can't use 'em, then I vote we break 'em."

Grass starts walking back towards the constructs.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Is that a way of stopping them without causing fatal damage?” The shaman gestures to Grass and her tools. “Because if that’s the case, we can always come back and change what we’ve done, and I like that possibility.

Ficus leaves the rogue to her tinkering and adjusts his vined holster of totems. Once we have this figured out, maybe I can find someone to make me something a little more suited for adventuring and combat...