New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Into Ivy Mansion [IC]

Tank stands ready and watches his companions.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Vele takes a moment, with a look of consideration on her face. “Orlin is... The father of Tristan, and the brother of the one that just went missing recently.“ She holds a brief pause while thinking, “Siegfried was his name!”

As Akmenos puts requests the Ivy Port she gives a curt nod and says “aye. One sec, we don’t keep that on the floor for obvious reasons. Let me go grab it,” as she walks off.

As she comes back the drink she sets before Akmenos has a faint magical glow to it, if you look at it out of the corner of your eye it almost looks as if you’re seeing a vision into a house, but if you focus or turn to look at it it quickly vanishes. For all the majesty of the drink, the mug that houses it is the same plain mug some of you have been drinking out of this whole time.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass scuttles up to the bar, checking her pockets and pack to make sure she’s leaving nothing behind. After one last look around the bar for possible trouble, she picks up her shot of Ivy Port and says “Down it on the count of three?”

Spoiler: Perception roll for trouble
    Show
    (1d20+5)[10]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus watches expectantly, waiting for the drink to be consumed. "I'm ready..." He pats his pouch and nods his head once.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"No time like the present. Here's payment for the drink."

Akmenos pulls out a gold piece, and using the Thaumaturgy cantrip, produces the sound of a coin whirling in the air, only much much louder for effect and drains the port in one go.

Charleston digs his claws into Akmenos's shoulders and screeches loudly in Infernal, slightly spoiling the dramatic effect.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Grass’ Perception
    Show

You see a somewhat lively inn, and the assorted clientele. Your companions are occasionally getting side eye, as Dragonborn and tieflings aren’t the most common in these parts, but it’s not an aggressive energy, just wary.

As the coin Akmenos flips in the air whirs around, you’re rewarded with the puzzled glances of the lot of them. The glances then turn from puzzled to a mixture of concern and true shock as your companions wink out of existence with a sharp thumping noise, almost as if someone had hit a desk with a heavy book.

As each of you is teleported, you’re treated to a dazzling light that fills your whole field of view, almost as if you’re looking into a bullseye lantern directly on, this lasts about 5 seconds before you’re dropped into a hallway of an ancient manse, sparsely lit.

Other than the sound of each of you getting your bearings and glancing about, the manor is quite quiet. You can faintly hear the sound of footsteps coming through a door a few feet away from you.

As you’re standing there glancing around the faint smell of musty disorder slowly creeps into your awareness, it’s immediately apparent that this section of the manor hasn’t seen much use in the recent month or so.

Directly in front of you are a pair of ornate dark wooden doors, each housing a pearl door handle and a keyhole.

Just to the right of those doors on the floor is a portrait of an older man in aristocratic clothes, looking as if it was thrown there or discarded by a servant in a hurry. Above it on the wall is a portrait of a younger man, his face exuding condescension and snootiness. If you had to match a face to the voice you heard coming out of the mug, this would fit it to a T. The nameplate below the mounted painting reads “Tristan Harpell”, and the one on the floor says “Siegfried Harpell”.

Tristans portrait, after taking a moment to enjoy your confusion, begins speaking to you “Ah, welcome to Ivy Mansion, ancient home of the Harpell dynasty! Ignore my uncle down there, one of the servants was supposed to hang him in the ballroom.”

“If my enchantments worked correctly one of you should now have a pair of keys in your pocket. The brass one opens the double doors to the northeast wing in front of you. The silver one is for the vault to the underground levels. I hear there’s some nasty stuff down there, so please lock it if you get the chance.”

“Clatter - that’s the name of the caretaker I’ve just sent inside - has a map of the whole floor he can give you. I’ve instructed him to make himself useful to you.”

“I need you to go to each room and clear out anything irritating, do that and you’ll receive your proper recompense.”

“Now if you’ll excuse me there’s a plump little maid at the Gilded Horseshoe who I promised to share some Ivy Port with. Best of luck to both parties, eh?”

And with that the portrait stops speaking, though the portrait has markedly more prominent smirk on it than before.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass lands gracefully as the Ivy Port deposits them in the hallway, automatically positioning herself to hide between her taller companions.

Spoiler: Stealth roll to hide behind other party members
    Show
    (1d20+7)[27]

As Tristan’s portrait begins talking, she carefully scans the room, looking for anything obviously dangerous or out of place.

Spoiler: Perception roll for anything dangerous or out of place
    Show
    (1d20+5)[9]

When Tristan mentions the keys, Grass once again begins patting her pockets, in case anything has been taken or added. She rolls her eyes when Tristan goes off to bother the maid, but decides to keep her mouth shut while there’s still a chance he could be listening to them.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus takes a moment to find his balance and will his nausea into nonexistence. Gripping his staff and partially putting his weight on it, he takes a few deep breaths before he can fully take in what the portrait of Tristan has to say.

At the mention of a key, Ficus pats his pouch and pockets. “I don’t have anything on me...” He crouches down to attempt to look through the keyholes while he waits for his party members to find the necessary keys.

Spoiler: perception
    Show
    (1d20+3)[23]

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

As both Grass and Ficus check their pockets, Grass finds nothing missing, and in fact does find the aforementioned keys, as Tristan described. They’re both on the ornate side, the brass one having the letters S and H intertwined in the bow of the key, and the silver one simply having a similar H in the same position.

Spoiler: Grass looking along the hallway
    Show

You don’t notice anything out of the ordinary. You don’t see anyone moving around besides you and your companions.

Spoiler: Ficus looking through the keyhole
    Show

You see an awkwardly moving humanoid patrolling back and forth across your field of view. It moves like it has subpar motor skills. As you watch you occasionally hear the sound of what sounds an awful lot like metal clanging against stone. It’s not rhythmic the way the footsteps are however.
    Last edited by kulanah; 2020-06-01 at 07:46 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Tank holds back some puke when he "lands." Taking a moment and seeing that Grass has the keys, Tank is alert with his shields up as always.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass relaxes when she sees nothing suspicious about the room. Looking at the keys in her hand, she elbows Akmenos in the knee and asks, “Hey, can you check if these are cursed or anything?”

12. - Top - End - #42

OldWizardGuy

"Of course. I'll need some time with them during a short rest to properly 'commune' with them." Akmenos motions spookily for effect. "But by then, you and I will already have a good idea. Hah hah."

Akmenos deposits the keys into his pocket and takes a quick tour of the room.

"Does anyone else get the suspicion were going to be spied on this entire adventure? I hope Tristan isn't the micromanager type."

Akemenos takes a short rest on the nicest piece of furniture in the room to examine the keys magical properties.

13. - Top - End - #43

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos reaches into his memory of the Elder Gods' library to see what they have to say about the keys.

(1d20+3)[17]

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

The group hears a small chortle from the direction of the portrait, though as you look nothing has changed nor is there any movement.

Within the first few moments of Akmenos focusing on the ring, he’s immediately overcome with fear and revulsion at the ring. From any other patron or deity this would be cause for concern, but these are the prime tools of the Elder Gods, and as such, this is part and parcel for Akmenos. The Elder Gods have imparted that the keys are not cursed.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Once Akmenos is done focusing on the keys, Tank will step to assist or comfort him. Tank will grab a cushion, if possible, and give it to his fellow dragonborn.

16. - Top - End - #46

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos graciously accepts the cushion but reminds Tank that just because he has horns, doesn't mean he's a Dragonborn.

"But we can be brothers of a sort." Akmenos points to his Teifling horns. "Horn brothers? Horthers? Sons of Hornarchy? Something like that." He jiggles the keys in his hand. "The Unthinkable Ones dont think these keys are cursed. They're just keys. And judging from the ornate lettering, one goes to a room formerly occupied by one Seigfried Harpell, the uncle. And the silver key will unlock the door to whatever he was working on last.

"And then there's a map. When there's only two doors. I suppose calling them 'rooms' might be underselling it a bit."

Akmenos joins Ficus at the keyhole to see what has his attention.

"If I had to nickname anyone Clatter, it might be that noisy fellow." He stands up. "What do we think? Enter in, ask the butler who did it and see what he tells us?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass tenses up again, hearing the portrait chuckle. Replying to Akmenos, she mutters, “Yeah, let’s get out of here. Ficus, d’you want to do the honours or should we leave it to Tank?”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus shakes his head and looks to the others, starting with Akmenos.

I don’t know if that.. Thing.. Is all there, if you know what I mean? I don’t like the way it moves. Seems unnatural. And uncoordinated? I’m not sure, but I think it’s running into something, or stepping on something. If you listen carefully you’ll hear it.

Ficus slumps down from his keyhole viewpoint and sits quietly on the floor. He takes a moment to center himself, nimbly running his fingers over the whittled representation of a spirit rising from a bonfire that hangs from his neck.

He touches his pouch and each of his totems before nodding once to Grass.

Yes, we should go. No use waiting around. Just be prepared for danger. I think Tank should lead us.” With that, Ficus rises from his position on the floor and stands, one hand on his focus and the other on his staff.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    once the door is opened, and at the first sign of danger, Ficus will cast Armor of Agathys on himself

19. - Top - End - #49

OldWizardGuy

"I'm more than fine with Tank taking the lead. Just be careful you don't smash anything or anyone that doesn't pose a threat. Let's not get carried away." Akemos performs his own defensive spell casting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Akmenos casts Blade Ward and and stands out of way of the door.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Grass readies her bow and steps behind Tank, trying to use him to hide herself from the thing behind the door.

Spoiler: Stealth Roll
    Show
    (1d20+7)[21]

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

"Friends on my ready... Go!"

On 'go' Tank bashes the doors with his shields and all his body weight.

If the doors open, Tank will do his best to protect his companions behind him.

Spoiler: Strength check
    Show

(1d20+3)[19]

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

The door flies open with a resounding crash after the combined efforts of Akemnos and Tank between unlocking the door and charging through it. Hopefully there's nothing dangerous further on, because every near by sentient creature was definitely alerted to your entrance.

As you come through you all see the long hallway described by Ficus. The hallway is similarly richly adorned, a large expensive looking carpet runs along the length of the hallway. There's a pair of double doors on your left and a single door on the right of the hallway, both doors are large and ornate wood, with almost ostentatious carving running along the trim. Straight back, there is a single door there. To either side of that door the hallway continues out of sight.

As you burst through the door there's a single solitary suit of armor that turns to look at you. It has no weapons, nor does it make any aggressive moves towards you.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Still hiding behind Tank, Grass turns to Ficus and Akmenos, and mouths "Is that Clatter?"

24. - Top - End - #54

OldWizardGuy

"Well, let's see what he has to say." Akmenos brushes himself off and walks forward, hand raised in greeting.

"Hello, Clatter is it? You look like a Clatter. Nice to meet you. I wonder if you can help us. I'm told you have a map."

Is this what rich wizards have in their homes? Animated suits of armor? Akmenos searches his memory for a clue to what Clatter might be.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[10]

Arcane check for Clatter.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the doors sit open and everyone stares at the creature nothing happens. It just sits there watching you. Continuing to not move towards you, but not moving away either.

As Akmenos steps forward the suit of armor tilts it head to the side, observing him. As Akmenos' raises his hand the suit of armor slowly mirrors him. The suit then walks towards Akmenos as the small tiefling starts talking, it nods vigorously, to each of the three questions. Clatter then lifts the visor of it's helmet, revealing a black space with nothing visible inside, it reaches its hand in and pulls out a small sheet of paper and hands it to Akmenos.

Clatter then stands there with it's hands at it's sides, as if waiting.

Map image here

Spoiler: Akmenos Arcane check
    Show
    You don't recognize this creature, nor have you heard of anything like it being used.
    Last edited by kulanah; 2020-06-08 at 06:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Stepping out from behind Tank, Grass goes over to Akmenos and studies the map.

"Okay, we'll need a plan. Definitely leave the bedroom for last, since it has the staircase. Think it's worth trying to ask Clatter what monsters are in each room, or should we just start with the smallest room and work our way up?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Tank's vote is for a systematic search of the rooms, unless we hear someone in trouble. He agrees that the bedroom should be last.

"May Bahamut watch over us," he says as he looks at each of his companions and then his shields.
    Last edited by Tiegh; 2020-06-10 at 12:34 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Ficus takes a step back when the lifted visor reveals nothing behind it. Slowly, as it becomes apparent that there’s no threat, the firbolg steps closer to his companions and peers over Akmenos’ shoulder at the map, nodding as everyone voices their opinions.

Clatter... What have you seen here? Is there anything we should be prepared for?

29. - Top - End - #59

OldWizardGuy

Akmenos shrugs.

"I'm not a tactician. I'm more the expert in all things magical. Except for him." He gestures towards Clatter. "He's a mystery. Regardless, if he can guide us towards what we're suppose to take care of, I say we follow him. Otherwise, I'm with Grass's idea."

Akmenos uses his link to Charleston to send him down the hall to see what's around the corner of the hallway.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you let your focus drift away from the animated suit of armor in front of you, you finally take a second to really look at the hall in front of you. You notice that with very few exceptions the hallway walls are covered in mirrors of different sizes and shapes. There are dozens of you all visible at different points from different mirrors, some showing an almost fun-house like transformation of your selves.

Ficus makes eye contact with Clatter as Ficus asks him a question, or at least his face seems to be pointing at Ficus' face. At the first question he shrugs, and looks over his shoulder, taking a moment to look at the myriad of closed doors. At the second question he nods emphatically.

After answering the two questions as he does, he half leans in, as if waiting for further instructions from the group.

Spoiler: Charleston's search
    Show
    The far halls of the hallway look more or less identical to the one you're in. No visible lifeforms, lots of mirrors, and the doors that match up with what the maps show.
    Last edited by kulanah; 2020-06-12 at 01:54 PM.