New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Dungeon Hunters! D&D5e [IC]

The villainous reading man stands over his latest victim, Franklin, and laughs “The joy I get from killing incautious heroes!” He turns to face the remaining adventurers, but Ophelia flies into his face, biting and pulling his hair. “Get off me, pest!” and as he attempts to swat the bat away, Desmond seizes the chance to land a deadly firebolt!

AAAaaahhh!!!” Engulfed in flames, the reading man falls to the ground, dropping his sword and stops moving. Immediately, his body starts to dissolve into a muddy goo that smells of rotten fish, leaving little remains behind, except for his clothing and boots.

The cave room returns to the stillness and silence of moments before, except for the heavy breathing of the surviving adventurers.

Spoiler: Combat is over - kind of
    Show
    We are still going to follow the initiative order because of the death saving throws.

Spoiler: Round 10
    Show
    It's Nile's turn.
    After Nile, Jacques needs to make a death saving throw.
    Then it's Tinsley,
    then Desmond, who is carrying a healing potion.

The reading man has dissolved into goo.
    The Undead have been turned.

Mud: The entire room is difficult terrain.

in the map: the areas with wooden boxes represent the cages. Each cluster of boxes is one cage, because they are large. Also, the areas with a yellow square are the glowing moss. The blue squares are pits with water running beneath them.

Reminder: Jacques has 1 inspiration point!

Character Race/Class Initiative AC / HP Spell Slots Con. Conditions
    Nile Human Sorcerer 22 AC 15 (12) HP 14/14 0/3 - -
    Jacques Galantine Human Cleric 13 AC 17 HP 0/17 0/3 - dying
    Tinsley Human Rogue 12 AC 14 HP 1/17 - - -
    Desmond Warforged Artificer 3 AC 19 HP 14/17 1/2 - -
    Franklin Dwarf Paladin 2 AC 16 HP 0/22 0/2 Bless dying

Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-07-01 at 08:48 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Did we win? Jacques mumbles through a haze of unconsciousness as his blood pours freely from the two enormous puncture wounds on his torso.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Death Saving Throw: (1d20)[18]
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-07-01 at 01:45 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

As ineffective as his dagger toss has ended up, he had his eyes on the enemy. If he couldn't defeat the man and save his comrades, he would be sure that there was someone to witness their deaths.

So when the man went up in flames and melted into a puddle of goo, he was more than happy.

Yeah. We won, mate, he says with a somber grin. Hold still, I'm on my way.

Pushing up out of the mud and reminding himself to keep his muddy hand off his wound, he turns to the warforged wading his way through. Dez! Hand me the potion, I can get it to him faster.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-02 at 06:59 AM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Blinking in surprise as the terror who nearly killed them all falls, Nile feels a rush of exhilaration followed by sheer terror. Suddenly the cavern seems to grow, the distance between him and his companions appearing insurmountably far as he runs as fast as he can towards them.

"Are they going to be okay? Jacques!? Franklin!"

Show

Move to K-13...even if he's too far away to help, he'll get there eventually

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: Round 10 - Desmond's turn
    Show
    It's Desmond's turn!

Desmond is carrying a healing potion.

in the map: the areas with wooden boxes represent the cages. Each cluster of boxes is one cage, because they are large. Also, the areas with a yellow square are the glowing moss. The blue squares are pits with water running beneath them.

Nile Human Sorcerer 22 AC 15 (12) HP 14/14 0/3 - -
    Jacques Galantine Human Cleric 13 AC 17 HP 0/17 0/3 - dying
    Tinsley Human Rogue 12 AC 14 HP 1/17 - - -
    Desmond Warforged Artificer 3 AC 19 HP 14/17 1/2 - -
    Franklin Dwarf Paladin 2 AC 16 HP 0/22 0/2 - dying

Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-07-01 at 07:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond felt quite satisfied as he watched the necromancer catch on fire, retracting the focus. Then he did remember his comrades who seemed to be in quite a dire situation.

"Right, here!" Desmond said, quickly handing the potion to Tinsley, who seemed quite disheveled himself. "I'll go see to Franklin."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

It's hard to stay on his feet, but he only has to move for a few seconds before he's kneeling at Jacques' side. He props the cleric slightly upright and puts the potion bottle to the man's lips.

Wish I could do something for the flavor, but this should put you... close enough to right.

After the potion goes down, Tinsley turns his eyes to Franklin, who's still down, doing his best not to blink.

Show
    Move to N13, administer potion tho Jacques.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-02 at 07:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Jacques coughs as the drink is poured down his throat and gags a bit but the focus begins to return to his eyes and he blinks rapidly to clear the muck out of them.

Tastes like liquorice and... black olives?

He coughs a few more times and sits up on his own.

Thanks Tinsley. He’s far too drained to make any attempt at being anything but prosaic.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The cavernous room becomes eerily quiet without the commotion of combat.
    Even the faint sound of dripping water, that was hauntingly present since the first room, has now completely vanished.

The former enemy of the party is reduced to a puddle of a slimy foul-smelling substance that slowly blends in with the mud of the room. If not for the pile of clothes, a pair of fine boots, his blade, and some jewelry, it would be impossible to believe a terrible foe stood there moments ago.

The remaining of the cave area appear to have served as a middle ground between a study, laboratory and living quarters. There are shelves with books, work desks and even a bed and chamber pot.

The northwest corner of the room holds the single cage with an occupant: a human figure that is either unconscious or dead.

Spoiler: Party Status
    Show

Nile Human Sorcerer - AC 15 (12) HP 14/14 0/3 - -
    Jacques Galantine Human Cleric - AC 17 HP 4/17 0/3 - -
    Tinsley Human Rogue - AC 14 HP 1/17 - - -
    Desmond Warforged Artificer - AC 19 HP 14/17 1/2 - -
    Franklin Dwarf Paladin - AC 16 HP 11/22 0/2 - -
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-07-02 at 05:40 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Dungeon Hunters! D&D5e [IC]

Tinsley

Tinsley considers Jacques' take on the potion flavor.
    Huh. For me, it was salted fish and vulture liver. He shudders. Terrible hunting day, that was.

After Desmond heals Franklin, and satisfied that everyone is up and running... well, up at least- Tinsley surveys the remains of the enemy before deciding:

Dibs on the boots.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-02 at 11:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Jacques stands up and smiles weakly at Tinsley’s reply. He had decided to go on an adventure to avoid risking his life and look where it had got him.

(We’re all alive. All of us. Damn that was close.) That’s got to be the mayor in the cage right?)

You can have the boots Tinsley let’s just gather up all the gear. We can identify and sort it when we get out of here.

Jacques moves with a stiff-legged hobble towards the cage with the living prisoner. He may no longer be dying but moving his limbs after losing so much blood was a laborious and somewhat painful process. When he gets to the cage he addresses the prisoner.

Pardon me ma’am, can you sit up? I’ve got some food and water if you need them. We’ve come to set you free. That guy with the ghouls is mostly melted.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Approaching the cage, Jacques sees that the person entrapped is a young-looking woman, wearing a white dress that is ripped to shreds and stained with mud. She is curled up in a defensive position and appears to be unconscious. Near the cage, on the cave wall, there is a lever. The party has seen the reading man use one of those to violently drop Tinsley’s cage, but if operated in a controlled motion, the cage can descend slowly.

The paladin Franklin offers a sincere thank you nod to Desmond for saving him and then he walks towards Jacques and says “A brief prayer to Moradin will grant me the power to heal her back to consciousness.

Spoiler: lay on hands
    Show
    Franklin still has 1 point of lay on hands remaining

13. - Top - End - #283

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

As his companions hobble through the mud, having had their insides exposed and their blood dripping free, Nile takes a moment to reflect on the fact that he's been left completely unscarred. He looks down at his shadow laid across the mud and wonders how long he can stay this lucky if he continues down this path. Silently he wanders over to the cage as Franklin's hands take on a soft glow, instilling the woman with just a shred of life.

"Hello? Ma'am? Can you hear us?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

No response. The woman is either in a deep slumber or severely wounded.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Well he certainly didn't come all the way here, get slashed, smokescreened, bitten, poisoned, dropped and then stabbed to not get recognized.

Come on then, Miss. Rise and shine. Gotta take you back home and all that.

He points a glowing hand toward the woman, filling the cage with the sound of a rooster's crow.

Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-07-04 at 09:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

While his companions tend to the woman, as he had no more healing left, Desmond turned to look at their adversary, or at least his remains. He knelt to inspect the goo, wondering if it some kind of proxy or a doppelganger, and if the wizard might still be alive.

Show
    Arcana check, to try and identify what exactly happened: (d20+5)[14]

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The magic noises summoned by Tinsley have no effect on the caged woman. Rather than asleep, it seems she is deeply wounded.

The paladin Franklin walks to the cave wall and finds the lever, pulling it carefully enough to hoist down the cage in a controlled descent. The cage is locked, but it’s not hard to find the keys in one of the desk drawers. Entering the cage, the dwarven paladin gently lays hands on the injured woman, offering a prayer to Moradin in return for healing powers.

The woman regains consciousness and slowly opens her eyes:

What..? Who are.. Where am I?” She tries to bring herself up, but is still too weak. Around her neck, a silvered necklace has the jellysifh sigil. The party has seen it before, it is the symbol of the Wartbell town, also carried by the guards. Still confused, the woman exclaims “Be careful! There is an evil sorcerer nearby! He will kill us!” She finally gets up and motions to go towards the door. Under the light of the torch, it is noticeable that the skin on the left side of her face has turned into fish scales. Most of her left arm is also covered in scales.

Across the room, near the pile of goo, the curious warforged Desmond investigates the remains of the reading man. It is impossible to discern what happened, but the slimy substance smells of rotten fish. Some of the villain’s equipement stand out:

The shortsword has a beautiful silvered blade, and the pommel is sculped in the shape of a fish.

He also had a beautiful ring with two sea serpents intertwined, a pair of finely handcrafted boots, 1 gold locket, containing his portrait. There’s an inscription on the back of it. “Pryor Aggarwaal, 634”.

Spoiler: Party Status
    Show

Nile Human Sorcerer - AC 15 (12) HP 14/14 0/3 - -
    Jacques Galantine Human Cleric - AC 17 HP 4/17 0/3 - -
    Tinsley Human Rogue - AC 14 HP 1/17 - - -
    Desmond Warforged Artificer - AC 19 HP 14/17 0/2 - -
    Franklin Dwarf Paladin - AC 16 HP 11/22 0/2 - -
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-07-06 at 08:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

That pile of ooze is all that’s left of the evil sorcerer ma’am. The town of Wartbell actually hired us to rescue you. Jacques sighs deeply as he continues, his wounds and exhaustion taking their toll on the young man. The way back to town is mostly clear, with the exception of a sleeping obstruction. If you’re feeling well enough to walk I believe it’s time for us to all return to a semblance of civilization.

Jacques completely ignores the scales on the woman. (One problem at a time Galantine, one problem at a time.)

19. - Top - End - #289

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Nile's eyes go wide as the woman's scales become apparent. Recoiling slightly, Nile tries to cover for his weakness by looking around him in the mud, pretending to have lost something. He glances furtively at the others, looking for some sign that they've already seen it, but mostly he's just very interested in mud all of a sudden. His search for this lost object slowly takes him just a bit further away from the mayor, lest it turn out whatever she has is contagious. Face glowing red with shame, Nile is nevertheless not at all keen on becoming a fish-person.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Okay, yeah. And what do we do in the event that the obstruction is no longer sleeping? Not to mention the stinking cloud of eye murder- who knows what that'll do to my open wounds? Speaking of which, your Mayorness- He takes hold of the mayor's left arm- did you always have these, or are they new additions?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

When questioned by Tinsley, the woman, seems confused with her transformation “What.. No.. I never had fish scales before.. What is happening to me..?” As if shaking that thought, she introduces herself: “I’m Lady Isabel, mayor of Wartbell. Thank you for rescuing me. Please, let’s get out of this stinking cave.

While Nile avoids looking at the woman, his eyes notice other things in the room. At the beginning of combat, the reading man drank a potion and his cabinet still have three vials of a translucent liquid. Besides that, the room has many tomes and scrolls laying around in desks or neatly stacked in shelves. Some look boring, some look interesting. And in a dark corner, only slightly lit by the fluorescent moss, there are two treasure chests.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

I don't mean to belittle anything that you've been through while you were down here, but a lot of things down here have literally been through me, he lifts the edge if his tunic to reveal his stab wound. and I'm pretty sure the only reason I'm standing is that my grandmother's an orc. Between that, the aforementioned sleeping ogre who may not be sleeping anymore, the cloud of irritants (which is in the same room as the ogre, mind you), the worst case scenario where we somehow draw the ire of the previously unmentioned unidentified giant river thing, and the fact that we're fresh out of everything but the most minimal of magic effects- I don't think we're fit to start moving right away.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond sets the boots aside for Tinsley, and stashes the rest of the loot away for later inspection. "Seems the sorcerer's name was Pryor Aggarwaal", Desmond says, putting the locket away as well. "A rather vain man, carrying around his own portrait."

"Resting here might not be that bad of an idea", Desmond said, responding to Tinsley's reluctance about leaving. "That is, if we've truly defeated the sorceror. Can you tell us anything about him, lady Isabel? Did he have any accomplices, besides these undead minions of his? And I do wonder if he had any more comfortable chambers, where we might rest."

As he talked, Desmond moved over to the table, checking if the sorceror had had any interesting spell scrolls he might be able to use.

24. - Top - End - #294

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Wandering over to the cabinet, Nile gives each of the vials a cursory look before pocketing them for further examination later. As he catches sight of the two chests, his eyes narrow as he pulls his way through the muck towards them, whistling softly.

"Uhh, gents? Your mayoralness?" Glancing back at the others, Nile motions them over before trying to pry open the first chest.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

If we rest here I’m worried that the Ogre will wake up and come down to try and smash us. I’ve got a plan for getting us through the poison gas safely this time. Besides, all those undead crawled out of this muck. We don’t really know if there’s anything else lurking under it... If you guys think we should try to rest here then I’ll try to use my magic to secure the door but I think we should try to make a break for it.

Before anything else though, Tinsley do you think you can crack the lock on those chests?
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-07-08 at 12:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Sliding his tools out of his sleeve, Tinsley gets to work on the locked chests.
    The state we're in, we'd be just as unprepared- and thereby just as dead- whether we go up to the ogre or she comes down to us. I would rather the option where we at least have a chance to get ready. And also I have a whole liver again. Or are these my intestines?

Show

Fiddling with some chests!
    Perception to look for any untoward trapper: (1d20+3)[4]
    Thieves' Tools: (1d20+4)[6]
    Thieves' Tools on the Second Chest: (1d20+4)[7]

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Nile finds three identical vials of potions. Each of the vials holds a huge toe nail floating in translucent liquid.

Desmond finds an enchantment spell scroll, but it is not a spell typical of artificers, so the warforged finds it difficult to read the magic or understand its effects. Beyond that, he finds two noticeable books. The first is a thick tome with formal calligraphy containing a collection of speeches from past kings. Weirdly enough, in between the speeches there are sections about jokes and anecdotes as well as hints and schemes for con artists. The book is written in several different languages, but somehow you can understand all of it. It is definitely a magical kind of book, but more studying is required to understand its purpose.

The desk where the villain was standing also holds a book. A dark and strange book. The writing on it is indiscernible nervous scribbling, nonsensical riddles of a trouble mind, along multiple drawings of a giant bloated fish devouring human flesh. Desmond’s eyes hurt from looking at it and he needs to shut the book to stop the pain. This abominable book has a dissected tongue nailed to its cover.

When questioned about Pryor (the villain), lady Isabel shivers “I... I don’t remember much.. The lady ogre knocked me out cold. I have a vague memory of.. Chanting..? But I was in and out of consciousness the whole time.. And I had nightmares – terrible nightmares! Everyone from my town was drowning and I couldn’t help them..” She breaks down in tears. But then the woman controls herself and adds: “If you are worried about the Ogre, I remember something. She has a pony or a mule, that is the most precious thing to her. I remember she stopped to feed it before dragging me in. I don’t know how that could help...

Spoiler: Tinsley and the chests
    Show
    They weren’t even locked to begin with – but no one has to know it.

The larger chest is filled with silver pieces. Too many to count... But at least one thousand. Maybe more.

The smaller one contains four gold lockets with portraits of ugly people – They look similar to the villain the party just fought. And gold pieces. Again, a lot of them to count right now. But Tinsley can estimate around 500. Maybe a bit more.

28. - Top - End - #298

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Having just come through a long, hard battle, it's only natural for one's legs to be shaky. Nile leans heavily against the wall to avoid sitting down in the mud, trying to stay upright. Death had just been a distinct possibility, but the sheer volume of coins staggered him nonetheless. If coins could buy power, then there was an awful lot of it in those two chests.

Edit:
    Show

Removing this:
    "How," Nile starts saying, struggling for words, "how do we get it all out of here? Can we carry all this between us?" He doesn't want to consider the possibility that they'd have to leave some of it behind, but he wasn't exactly the pinnacle of strength himself and he couldn't be sure how much they could reasonably haul back the way they came.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-11 at 07:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Once he's had a chance to get over their tremendous influx of wealth, Nile starts thinking about the situation. Many of them are hurt. He's exhausted. But the ogre might come down at any time and decide she didn't much care for visitors. Would she come down here though? If she did, she'd be looking for the mage no doubt, but a pile of goo wouldn't exactly be the most responsive of friends.

Nile's eyes narrow as he looks over, trudging through the mud to the goo. He picks up the man's formerly fine clothes and shakes them out, grimacing at the result. Looking around Nile asks, "I'm not sure I'd want to throw the dice risking a trip past her again so soon, notwithstanding her feelings regarding the mule, but I am a bit worried about what she might think if she comes down here. Do you think we could rest here and I could pretend to be our gooey friend if she comes down? You would all either have to hide or," he says, pausing a moment as he glances at the mayor, "uh, rest in the cages."
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-07-11 at 07:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

What are these locks? Too small to be made by an ogre. Gnome, then? Those folks are always tinkering with everything...

He eventually gets frustrated enough to attempt sheer brute force, which miraculously works.

Because they weren't even locked.

But nobody has to know that.

Still...

That's... a lot of daggers.

At Nile's suggestion, Tinsley turns to the mayor.

You Alright with that, marm? We could probably find some blankets or something to make it... less uncomfortable.