New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dungeon Hunters! D&D5e [IC]

Nile

Nile looks around at the others, seeming to reassure himself that he's not alone in the presence of that snoring. Butterflies churn in his stomach as he considers just how menacing the sound is despite its otherwise innocent nature. Carefully, Nile creeps forward, stepping over to the nearest statue and examining it along with the notes it may well study for eternity.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Stealth and investigation if necessary.

Stealth: (1d20+2)[12]
    Investigation: (1d20+1)[5]

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond doesn't really smell anything, but does recognize the expressions on his friends' faces. Sometimes it did pay not to have a nose.
    "Can anyone check for magic in the room? There might be a magical trap", Desmond whispers.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

While his friends looked around the room Franklin carefully moved over to the door from which they could hear snoring, and positioned himself next to it. This way, if who, or rather whatever, would come storming out he'd be in the right place.

He had his greatsword ready and scanned the room while he stood guard.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Perception [roll]1d20 [/roll]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Nile examines the first statue. At careful examination, it seems to be completely made of ordinary stone and depicts a short humanoid wearing adventuring gear. Though it is wearing a hooded cloak, Nile can tell the facial features resemble those of a female gnome. Across the room, Tinsley examines the second statue and comes to the same conclusion. Simply ordinary rock carved into the likeness of and old man praying.

Back to the sorcerer Nile: On the desk, amidst a mess of parchments and broken vials, he finds an open book written in a strange language featuring drawings of cockatrice monsters, followed by what appears to be a manual to brew a potion, but it is impossible to understand.

Besides the book, Nile finds a silver necklace that appears to be valuable. But before the Sorcerer can celebrate his finding, the face of the statue turns to him abruptly with a hateful stare and raises its hand attacking with sharp claws, but the creature's efforts to hurt the sorcerer are halted by the powerful mage armor protecting Nile.

Spoiler: Gnome statue attacks Nile!
    Show
    (1d20+5)[9]
    advantage: (1d20+5)[6]
    damage: (2d10+3)[15]
    *this monster had advantage on its first attack

Simultaneously, on the other side of the room, as the rogue Tinsley reaches out for the metal key hanging around the neck of the second statue, it also comes alive, revealing to be another hateful monster launching a claw attack: The monster slashes Tinsley and it stings like hell! The claws are dripping with a gray gooey substance.

Spoiler: old man statue attacks Tinsley!
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18]
    advantage(1d20+5)[21]
    damage: (2d10+3)[15]
    *this monster has advantage on its first attack

Spoiler: Party
    Show
    Player Character Race/Class Initiative AC / HP Spell Slots Concentration Conditions
    Majin Desmond Warforged Artificer 21 AC 19 HP 17/17 2/2 - -
    LuckyStrike Franklin Dwarf Paladin 18 AC 16 HP 22/22 2/2 - -
    (Un)Inspired Jacques Galantine Human Cleric - AC 17 HP 17/17 3/3 - -
    Riggdgames Nile Human Sorcerer 14 AC 15 (12) HP 14/14 2/3 - -
    John Cribati Tinsley Human Rogue 11 AC 14 HP 02/17 - - -
    Monster - Gnome Statue 2 ??? - - -
    Monster - Old Man Statue 2 ??? - - -

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-05-17 at 12:26 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Show
    Declaring actions since I definitely have (too much) time to post right now and I don't think anyone will do anything to change these actions.

Nile let out a shriek a few octaves higher than he might have otherwise wished were possible. Claws reached out for him, but the wispy hint of armor that swirled around him suddenly turned opaque at the point of contact, deflecting the blow.

Recovering his senses, Nile draws the shadows to him and feels the energy crackle in his fingers before reaching out to give it to the statue.

"Bad touch!" Nile announced deliriously, though it wasn't altogether clear whether he was referring to the creature's attempted attack or his own.

Show

Action: Cast Shocking Grasp

Melee spell attack: (1d20+5)[20]

If I roll a 10 or below (on the roll, 15 total), I will use one point of Lucky (3x available) to reroll.

Reroll if applicable: (1d20+5)[6]

Move:
    If Nile succeeds on the hit, he runs away to tile O-12 and pulls out his crossbow.

If Nile fails on the hit, he pulls a dagger and tries not to pee his pants.

Bonus Action:
    Either way, Nile spends both sorcery points to generate another 1st level spell slot. He now has 3 remaining.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-05-17 at 01:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Jacques (at M12) calls out, Tinsley are you ok?! What the hells are these things?

He points at the rocky monstrosity that Nile shocked and a blue-white bean of energy lasers out of his outstretched digit.

Show
    Jacques casts Sacred Flame DC 13 Dex Save or (1d8)[8] Radiant damage
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond
    HP: 17/17, AC: 19, Concentrating on: -, Save DC: 13

Well, the statues were indeed more than statues. Desmond brings out the metal cylinder inside his hand, aiming it at the statue Nile was currently facing, and fired a shot of fire at it.

Show
    Firebolt: (d20+5)[19]
    Damage: (d10)[6]

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Gah!

Tinsley was the kind of guy who picked "flight" when given the option. By the time the statue came to a presumably unholy semblance of life, he was in the process of scrambling away. He only recognized he'd been struck when he felt something try to change within him. He put a hand to the pain and stiffness in his stomach, and his fingers came back red and... grey?

... Ow.

He felt his body react to the poison, his instincts screaming at him to keep moving and stay safe, and he was behind Desmond before it registered he started moving again.

Stone beats Flesh; Metal beats Stone. You mind handin' me one of them potions before my insides become my outsides?

Show

Disengage with Old Man Statue, move to N14, Use healing potion
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-05-17 at 03:18 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

9. - Top - End - #99

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Suddenly the room erupted in frantic action and Franklin was dumbfounded for a second, not realising what was going on. It took for Tinsley next to him darting back and seeing the statue land a blow on him for Franklin to solidify what he knew needed to be done.

"Not on my watch you sneaky garden ornament!"

He shifted his weight and rammed the stoney old man with his shoulder, as he spun around and by doing so created space for his sword swing.

Arms out straight, he aimed for the statues neck and put his put his weight behind it.

When he felt the blow connect he let the power of his lineage, his blood, flow through his arms, hands and weapon. Blessed by the Allfather himself, the Stone Eye, the Gilded Mask and the Divine Architect, his weapon dealt a destructive blow.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

As soon as the stone statues start clawing at the heroes, the construct artificer Desmond launches one of his famous firebolts! The fire engulfs the creature, damaging the stone surface.

On the other side of the room, imbued with sacred power, the dwarf Franklin lands a crushing blow that reduces the old man statue to powdered rock! A pile of dusty crumbled rocks forms on the ground and the only thing that remains intact is a solid skull made of black stone.

On his turn, the Arcane Cleric Jacques casts a radiant magical flame at the gnomish statue, causing yet more damage, reducing it to a frail figure of crumbling stone that somehow still stands.

Finally, the shocking grasp sent out by Nile is enough to destroy whatever was left of the stone monster. Like the old man, it also crumbles into a pile of broken stones, leaving a black stone skull intact.

Everything in the room returns to the calm stillness of mere moments ago.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Tinsley scoops up the key- he'd nearly been disemboweled trying to get the thing, so he may as well- as his flesh knits back together enough to stop the bleeding.

I'll have to come up with a better backstory for this scar than this. How does "robbed an Earth Elemental blind" sound?
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-05-17 at 06:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Nile clenches his hands together for a moment to stop them from shaking and then busies them investigating the black stone skull at his feet.

"I prefer a good garden ornament story myself, but I could see how one of the fairer sex might feel differently. If we put an end to that snoring and get back to Wartbell alive we'll find a bard to write the song. For now though, how in the seven hells is that thing still sleeping?"

Show

Investigate: (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-05-17 at 08:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Do you guys know what those things were? That was tense for a second there.

Jacques tries to steady his breathing but he’s still not used to being in any kind of danger.

If you guys think we have time I’d love to cast Detect Magic and scan this room for anything else that not what it looks like.

If people are willing to wait Jacques ritual casts Detect Magic and looks over the whole room.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"No idea. Perhaps they were just something akin to golems, an automatic defense of sorts?" Desmond muses, looking around the room casually now that it's quiet. "That sounds good, there might more magical traps, or perhaps even something valuable. We're of course here on a rescue mission, but I'm sure nobody here would mind a bonus." He only briefly glances at Tinsley.

While Jacques is casting his spell, Desmond starts to examine the room, especially the writing desk the other statue was hunched over.

Show
    Investigation: (d20+5)[14]

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Take all the time you need,
    Tinsley huffs, catching his breath now that the adrenaline is gone. I want to put as much time as possible between suffering life-threatening injuries.

Though absolutely willing to play up his injury for all it's worth, he still shuffles about the room, making an attempt at finding something important and/or valuable.

Show
    Investigation: (1d20+2)[13]

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Nile picks up one of the skulls. It is heavy, with a clean smooth surface, and dark as the night. Staring at the eye cavities gives Niles an eerie feeling and for a second, the sorcerer believes the skull is trying to whisper something.
    Spoiler: ooc: Arcana Cheque required
    Show
    An Arcana check DC 20 is required to understand the whispers.

Casting detect magic, Jacques sees the typical glow of magic coming from the silver necklace that Nile found on the desk. If the Cleric spends a short rest examining the item, he’ll be able to tell its magic effect.

Looking over the desk, Desmond finds broken vials and moldy tomes written in a strange language. They have detailed anatomic drawings of monsters such as cockatrices and basilisks, followed by what seems to be instructions for brewing potions. But they are impossible to comprehend and some of the pages are missing.

Spoiler: Tinsley
    Show
    Tinsley finds a sack in one of the shelves with 98 copper pieces.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond decide to store some of the notes just in case. Perhaps someone in the town or one of the other party members could translate them, but now wasn't the time for academic research. "Hmmh. Better watch out for monster that might try to turn your flesh to stone. And metal perhaps as well, never had the opportunity to test that, as far as I can remember."

18. - Top - End - #108

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Franklin surveyed the wreckage and made his way over to Tinsley. "That was quite a blow there." He said as he put his hand on Tinsleys shoulder.

The effect is instant and under his clothes Franklin's tattoos glow blue briefly as warmth and energy fills Tinsley. "You should be able to breathe a bit better now." He said as the hand on the shoulder turned into a friendly tap.

"I don't know about you lot, but I'm dying to know what's behind this door right here." He said as he pointed at the direction of the snoring.

19. - Top - End - #109

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Nile stares into the sockets of the skull, his thumb tracing over the perfectly smooth bone. The skull is fascinating all by itself, its surface a beautiful black, but the hair on the back of his neck stands up momentarily when he imagines a whisper. He redoubles his concentration, staring harder as he realizes the skull may hold more secrets than it first appeared to. A second later, he realizes with a chuckle that it was just a draft coming from the entrance. He sets the skull back down on the desk and turns away, watching Franklin demonstrate his power. Damned useful power, he had to admit. He stared down at his hands, wondering if there was any way to patch up his wounds with the shadows. He thought on it for a second and then decided he was being dumb.

He looks back up at Franklin and nods. "Provided that what's behind that door right there is just the mayor who happens to be a sound sleeper and snore a bit, I'm right there with you Franklin."
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-05-18 at 06:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Thanks, mate.

Though his shirt is still ruined- and the scar would be much less impressive now- he considers it a fair trade for the amount of pain he's no longer in.

So how's formation gonna work? I suggest our two armored members go in first.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-05-18 at 08:37 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Cautiously, anticipating the dangers beyond, the party uses the key to open the door…

On the other side, they find a 70ft. long empty hallway filled with a foul-smelling blue mist. On the far side of the hallway, there’s another door. The sound of snoring is much louder here.

Spoiler: Constitution Saving Throw
    Show
    Everyone must roll a Constitution Saving throw.
    Except for Desmond, who doesn’t breath so is naturally immune.
    Dwarven resilience doesn’t apply.
    Jacques and Franklin have inspiration points.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The party is nauseated by the foul odor of the blue fog, except Desmond who perhaps feels excluded from the experience of irritated stomach and lungs.

Covering their noses and mouths with cloth or rags, the party presses forward across the hall reaching an unlocked door at the other end, where the snoring becomes almost deafening.

Cautiously, the party opens the door into another large chamber. Now free of the aggravating mist, the party finds what looks like a large humanoid creature sleeping belly up on a pile of indistinct trash. There are leftovers of food scattered across the floor, including chewed up chicken bones and rotting pieces of fruit. Close to the sleeping creature, there is a small pile of horse feed.

Beyond the sleeping monster, there is a heavy iron gate that appears to be locked. The key can be seen clearly dangling from the belt of the slumbering creature. The creature mumbles in its sleep, speaking gibberish in the giant language.

Spoiler: Tinsley
    Show
    Tinsley: Your eyes got severely irritated by the blue fog and your vision is slightly blurry. But other than that, you feel no harmful effects.

Spoiler: Franklin
    Show
    Franklin: The blue fog carried the scent of the most horrific evil the paladin has ever sensed. Franklin’s heart feels an uncomfortable icy cold and his gut is overwhelmed with a feeling of despair. But for now, the hero shakes it off and moves on. No significant harmful effect.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Yonks; 2020-05-19 at 10:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Desmond scanned the room with his unblinking eyes. He might be able to get through the door without a key, but the ogre seemed too big of a problem to just ignore. He looked at the party members, pointing at the ogre, then making a "slit the throat" gesture, and waited for a an acknowledgement.

24. - Top - End - #114

SwashbucklerGuy

Nile

Nodding slowly to Desmond, Nile looks around at the others. He's not eager to do anything that could wake the sleeping giant, but very concerned with being prepared should that happen. He shifts to a position just inside the door and silently loads his crossbow, taking careful aim should the snoring suddenly stop.

Show

I'd like to position myself at C6 and ready an action to loose a shot into the ogre if it appears to wake up.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Even though the journey so far has been more than a bit of a pain, he still isn't quite in the mood to kill something that's asleep. He starts to talk, but thinks better of it and instead goes for an illusion of words on a very large scroll.

I think we should give the blighter a chance. You four get in position, and I can try and pick the lock. If he wakes up, you can go ahead and pound on him. If he's still asleep, we take the mayor and leave.

Show
    Minor Illusion.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2020-05-19 at 05:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Jacques cast Minor Illusion as well:

That’s a pretty good call Tinsley. Why don’t you try the door and the rest of us can get into position around the Ogre.

As quietly as possible Jacques isolates a bit of his focus with magic and touching Tinsley’s shoulder, transfers to the rogue.
    Show
    Jacques casts Guidance on Tinsley
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-05-20 at 10:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Franklin nodded and moved up close to the monster. The tip of his weapon held close to its throat.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Opening his case of tools, Tinsley proceeds to fiddle with the lock for a few minutes, looking over his shoulder every now and then to check on the party and the sleepy monster. But between his irritated eyes and the deafening snores of the creature, the young rogue gets too distracted to pick the lock.

The key to the gate still hangs from a metal ring in the belt of the sleeping Ogre, within the grasp of all the heroes. But who dares reach for it?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Jacques shrugs silently and using Minor Illusion writes, Time for Plan B? And again casts Guidance on Tinsley.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Tinsley

Tinsley nearly tosses his tools in frustration, but remembers himself and deftly sends them back up his sleeves.
    Lock must be Giant-made. Bigger on the inside or something.

He accepts the magical boost again- not that he needs it; he could probably snatch a key in his sleep, but it's never been a matter of life and death before- takes a deep breath, and goes for the key before he can psyche himself out.

Show
    Sleight of Hand: (1d20+5)[18]
    Guidance: (1d4)[3]