New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Bar-bear-ian Query

Hi Playgrounders,

So I have a new Druid 2, Barbarian 1.
    The plan of course is to rage as a bear and enjoy those few levels of POWAH!!

However - I am trying to figure out 2 parts of the class to make him useful outside of his 2 rages, 2 shifts.
    I could make him a dex based barbarian without rages I guess or I could focus on the druid spell casting side once he runs out of his tricks.

The other was to do with viable moon druid forms that are medium size.
    There are of course plenty of options that are large but when space is a premium are there any useful medium combat forms?

Any ideas you guys can help with?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Bar-bear-ian Query

Quote Originally Posted by AC of 33 View Post
    Hi Playgrounders,

So I have a new Druid 2, Barbarian 1.
    The plan of course is to rage as a bear and enjoy those few levels of POWAH!!

However - I am trying to figure out 2 parts of the class to make him useful outside of his 2 rages, 2 shifts.
    I could make him a dex based barbarian without rages I guess or I could focus on the druid spell casting side once he runs out of his tricks.

The other was to do with viable moon druid forms that are medium size.
    There are of course plenty of options that are large but when space is a premium are there any useful medium combat forms?

Any ideas you guys can help with?
    Far as Wildshape forms go, this guide is old, but still quite close to up-to-date. Deinonychus is the big one out of the CR1 bundle, but Ape out of CR ½ is also worth noting. Of course, this is less bearable, but quite efficient. Sadly, CR1 is the last CR with a good medium form. From then on, the best forms are Large or bigger. Of course, that's not necessarily that big of an issue: a large creature can squeeze into medium spaces if necessary. Hell, CR 4+ has only one Large creature as it happens, and that's the eminently disappointing Giant Coral Snake from Ghosts of Saltmarsh. It's mostly Huge from there on, though Elemental Wildshape does give you Large forms of course.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Eberron: Records of the Last War has Clawfoot at medium CR1, which is also reasonable.

With that level split I do recommend on focusing on Druid's casting; it's just really damn good. Of course, nothing is stopping you from also Dexfightering it out especially on low levels. You should easily be able to afford good Dex, Con and Wis, so you can use your weapon proficiencies from Barb to make up for Druid's lack of long range damage cantrips. So...both? Casting is better as a rule but nothing wrong with taking the at-will Dex Cantrip in the form of a bow or something, and it never hurts to be prepared with a Rapier for melee too.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2020-05-05 at 10:08 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I played one of these briefly; due to party comp it was hugely advantageous to focus on druid for spellcasting, but in a more balanced party it's be more of a choice.

One thing: there are a lot of good druid spells that use concentration. You can maintain concentration while Wildshaped, but you cannot maintain concentration while raging. Holding onto faerie fire is quite likely to be a better option than +2 damage if you're not the only frontliner. If this sort of thing comes up a lot, you'll find yourself never really using the barbarian features.

If I was the only frontliner, I'd want the resistance more, so getting to barb 3 for bear totem would be a more immediate goal.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Whenever you multiclass a barbarian with a spellcaster it is important that you estimate what the current fight could use the most: A tanky brawler or a spellcaster. The rage feature is a modal switch between these roles.

Also, when multiclassing it is important to ask yourself: What do I want to do that can only be achieved by multiclassing?

If it is raging and wild shaping then it is crucial to find the path to make this possible before you accrue features that make it better. In this case; Rage can do various things, depending on the subclass. Is there anything you want to do while raging (and wildshaping)? If yes, go there as fast as possible in your levels. If not, go ahead in druid to flesh out your spellcasting and wildshape capabilities.

Normally I'd advise against Dex-barbarians as it ignores many of the awesome goodies the base class gives you, but in this case it could work, since your wildshapes overwrite your STR score. Prioritizing Wis > Con > Dex should net you decent AC through Unarmored Defense while also boosting your initiative and Dex-saves. Going this route does mean that your barbarian levels are essentially useless outside of wildshape, as almost everything the barbarian gives you keys off of Strength. It's high risk, high reward, as long as you have the wildshapes for it.
    Subjectivity is implied in all posts.

Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game. Soren Johnson's Game Design Journal

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Bearington Bearman, is that you?

Absolutely needs to be a totem warrior.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by jmartkdr View Post
    IOne thing: there are a lot of good druid spells that use concentration. You can maintain concentration while Wildshaped, but you cannot maintain concentration while raging. Holding onto faerie fire is quite likely to be a better option than +2 damage if you're not the only frontliner. If this sort of thing comes up a lot, you'll find yourself never really using the barbarian features.
    To be techically correct, as long as you cast, wildshape, then rage, in precisely that order, you can maintain your concentration while you rage. This is due to the very specific way the rage concentration prohibition is worded: it only stops you from concentrating on a spell if you can cast spells. But because wikdshape makes you unable to cast spells, the concentration prohibition of rage does not occur.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting you or anybody else actually do this. IIRC, the last time we had a thread about this the only way I escaped with my life was by swearing up and down that I do not and would not advocate for the use of this loophole in actual gameplay. So here is my disclaimer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Just reiterating, Raging Deinonychus is certainly something to be reckoned with on level 3. +2 on 3-4 attacks, advantage on its Str-checks (though you can't use it to make the check to avoid Pounce harder), and resistance makes for a lean mean killing machine. +4/+4 at 1d8+4 and then +4 at 1d6+4 and potentially +4 at 1d6+4 and all of the remaining attacks on advantage should the enemy fail a DC12 Str save (which isn't at all unheard of on this level). That's pretty great all things considered when your competitors are hitting at like +5 for 2d6+3 twice (average 20 damage or 22,7 on two hits vs. your average of 24,5 + potential 7,5 more; though at +1 more).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2020-05-05 at 01:51 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.