New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default feat vs ASI with an Adventurer's League twist

So my AL battlemaster fighter just hit level 4. He also just acquired gauntlets of ogre power, if he wants them. By AL rules he can only have one magic item so its either the gauntlets or eyes of the eagle which he earned in a previous adventure.

Relevant stats for him are 16 STR, 13 DEX, 16 CON. He is a STR-based Vuman with dual wielder, using two longswords.

Without the gauntlets I would use the ASI at level 4 for 18 STR, then use the ASI at level 6 for a feat, either Sentinel or Resilient (DEX) to get up to +2 and gain save proficiency.

With the gauntlets, I don't need to raise STR so could take a feat now. But I eventually want to get him to 20 STR so would probably be ditching the gauntlets by level 6, or 8 at the latest, to take STR up to 18 on my way to 20. If I don't take the gauntlets I get to keep the eyes of the eagle for advantage on perception checks which rely on sight.

So my choices seem to be:

1. Take the gauntlets and a feat now, ditch the gauntlets at level 6 for the ASI. So I get the benefit of the feat for two additional levels.

2. Forget the gauntlets, keep the eyes of the eagle, and take the ASI now.

So the trade seems to be having a feat for two additional levels versus eyes of the eagle, I guess. I'm leaning towards taking the eyes of the eagle but I don't know, I guess I just feel like I need someone else to agree before having a fighter turn down gauntlets of ogre power .

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: feat vs ASI with an Adventurer's League twist

Quote Originally Posted by Gungor View Post
    So the trade seems to be having a feat for two additional levels versus eyes of the eagle, I guess. I'm leaning towards taking the eyes of the eagle but I don't know, I guess I just feel like I need someone else to agree before having a fighter turn down gauntlets of ogre power .
    I'd suggest keeping the gauntlets.
    What can you trade the eyes for?
    Can you keep/trade them for AL credit against a future item with greater rarity?

And just for a thought expermient: keep the gaunts and take the Alert feat now.
    1. never be surprised.
    2. +5 to your initiative
    3. Invis or hidden enemies do not get advantage attacking you.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-05-06 at 02:55 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You are allowed to change everything about your PC in AL until level 5. I strongly suggest dumping Str to 8 (now that you have Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and increasing your Dex/Con/Wis. As for your question, if you insist on using TWF, then I would get Lucky (to negate crits and turn disadvantage into triple advantage), Tough, or Resilient: Wis.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Expired View Post
    You are allowed to change everything about your PC in AL until level 5. I strongly suggest dumping Str to 8 (now that you have Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and increasing your Dex/Con/Wis. As for your question, if you insist on using TWF, then I would get Lucky (to negate crits and turn disadvantage into triple advantage), Tough, or Resilient: Wis.
    You are allowed, but not required! I would not do that as it would destroy my conception of the character.

What I would say is:

Wisdom saves tend to be more critical than Dex saves for a fighter. Failed Dex saves are often damage, and your hit points are good. Failed Wis saves can have you fighting your party, or totally debilitated. I would prefer Res Wis to Res Dex

Secondly at 5th level AL will allow 3 magic items, and you can use downtime days to level from 4 to 5. You can keep both items.

I would take the feat, consider +1 Dex and +1 Wis, followed by resilient Wis, and leave the strength boosts to 12th!...
    Last edited by Aaron Underhand; 2020-05-06 at 07:33 PM.