Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    That was Ascension... 3, I think? Only just started doing Ascension. I'm actually really annoyed with myself because I lost an Ascension run by 2HP because I forgot the Time Eater gained 2 strength when its thing activated. I could totally have played one less FoB and Finesse instead for the two block I needed, and the Time Eater was probably a bigger threat to my build than anything in the Final Act other than bad luck.
    Yeah, Time Eater's basically there entirely to mess with infinite-turn decks. The ones I've gotten up to him usually still haven't had significant problems with him, but you do have to change your order of plays and remember to get enough Block up for when he's going to interrupt you.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

There's a moment in Persona 4 Golden that makes my brain hurt.

On a social link you meet up with 2 party members shopping for clothes. They are physically incapable of choosing anything other than their default color scheme. Then they try and pick something else out to prove a point and the store is out of everything their size.

Too meta for me.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    There's a moment in Persona 4 Golden that makes my brain hurt.

On a social link you meet up with 2 party members shopping for clothes. They are physically incapable of choosing anything other than their default color scheme. Then they try and pick something else out to prove a point and the store is out of everything their size.

Too meta for me.
    I like the part where Chie (Green) picks up a yellow top with blue shorts. At least I think those are the items, I know the colors are right.
    Last edited by tonberrian; Yesterday at 11:39 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Started playing through original FF7, and got up to the end of Midgar. Honestly, it makes me appreciate FF7 Remake that much more. Cramming all of that into about six hours of play time really makes it feel rushed - the game throws so many characters and plot developments at you during that period that it becomes very difficult for many of them to stand out much. Plus the moments that should be dramatic and have real weight to them just don't have nearly as much as they do when given the time to breath that Remake allows them. And overall the writing (or possibly translation) is just a lot more natural sounding, and events feel a lot more realistic. I spotted a fair few points where Remake made outright changes for the better (as opposed to just expansion on what was already there), too.
    Spoiler: Midgar/Remake spoilers
    Show
    The sector 5 Reactor: the trap being sprung by Heidegger via hologram rather than President Shinra popping up right in front of your face is a big one. It gives Heidegger more to do (he's barely in like two scenes in the original), and doesn't make one of the (at that point) main villains look like a complete moron by exposing himself to his enemies - one of whom, you know, has a gun for an arm. Also, using that trap to try to make Avalanche look bad makes Shinra come across as much more competent manipulators of the public.

Getting rid of the scene where the party gets captured in Remake was a good move. It served no purpose other than to have President Shinra reiterate things we'd basically already learned.

Rufus' personality seems quite different in Remake than in the original, and he's a lot better off for it. In Remake he makes a pretty serious impression as a confident, skilled combatant legitimately capable of taking on Cloud one-on-one even after you beat his dog, and comes across as a very competent leader for Shinra. In the original he feels like a completely generic villain and his boss fight is laughably easy.

Making the Mayor already an Avalanche collaborator makes his role in your infiltration of Shinra HQ make so much more sense than just handwaving him as helping you because he decides on the spot that he's upset enough at how Shinra treats him to betray them.

Oh, and of course, Wall Market and the way they handled a lot of the characters there is just massively better - I'll take Andrea Rhodea and Cloud's dance as the Honeybee Inn's event rather than that weird scene Cloud bathing with a bunch of very creepy older men any day.

Oh, geez, and speaking of Wall Market, the whole point about how the characters get up to the upper plate for Aerith's rescue makes so much more sense in Remake. I mean come on, even excusing the conveniently-placed wire to climb, the whole thing with needing to get batteries from that random guy is weird and pointless. I'll take grapple guns over that happily.

Oh, and of course there's the matter of the combat, where Remake has a lot about it that I can praise, from the general mechanics to great boss design, and the original... doesn't. Aside from the materia system having some interesting elements to it, the original's combat is just standard old-school RPG combat, but worse because of using the ATB system rather than normal turns, and is extraordinarily easy - I have yet to have a fight I even thought I had a chance of losing, despite the many bosses the game has already thrown at me. It was really sad to see the early enemies in the game doing single-digit damage to my health when I started with over 300 hit points out of the gate, and I'm still not sure I've ever seen anything hit for triple digits despite that having grown to around 500 on everyone but Aerith now.

I will say this though for the original: I'm not finding the mini-games as unbearable as I recall finding them the first time I played them. Hell, the motorcycle one worked surprisingly well, and I actually prefer the original version of the squats mini-game to the Remake (because it's easier and I don't actually like either version, but still).

But anyway, far enough in that I'll start seeing the parts of the story that Remake hasn't covered now, so I've got that to look forward to at least.
    Last edited by Zevox; Today at 12:22 AM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #455
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    But man, four wheel drive is weird! Not as nightmarish as rear wheel drive, but I have no idea why these cars are spinning so much.
    They really shouldn't do? Rear wheel drive cars will spin if you give them too much throttle in a corner because it'll cause the rear end to break away, but in a four wheel drive what should happen is that the car loses grip at both front and rear, causing it to slide toward the outside of the corner without spinning. Unless, maybe the car is doing that and you're reacting by braking, which is about the worst thing you can do in that situation?

6. - Top - End - #456
    Firbolg in the Playground

I started up another Terraria run on the "For the worthy" seed. It's slightly harder, but knowing the game makes things easier overall. I'm pretty bored with it already though and only playing due to a lack of other games that interest me.

I've been gaming a lot more than usual lately due to the quarantine. Especially since I've been working on a covid unit, so I feel particularly compelled to quarantine. I'm probably just getting burnt out on video games in general...but other than that, spending time with my girlfriend, and watching TV there's not much to do. I've burnt through so many bad novels lately. Quarantine sucks, and I miss the sun and water.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Ugh just did an Ironclad run on Ascension 3. Either I'm getting seriously unlucky lately or I'm usually luckier than normal when fighting The Heart. I had what I though was a solid deck; with Barricade and multiple Demon Forms, I regularly got above 100 block and 100 str in each fight. I still had 3 potions going into The Heart, including a Cultist and Strength potion for even more infinite str, I got a Demon form right out of the gate, Disarmed it so that first x12 attack did no damage, got a Limit Break to shoot my strength up even further... and the damn thing still stomped me into the ground like two turns later. I can only have so many Imperviouses in a deck.

I hadn't even made it to the Ascension difficulty where bosses get harder yet (unlocked with this one); why is this thing kicking my ass so hard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Realism, the natural predator of D&D mechanics.

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Ugh just did an Ironclad run on Ascension 3. Either I'm getting seriously unlucky lately or I'm usually luckier than normal when fighting The Heart. I had what I though was a solid deck; with Barricade and multiple Demon Forms, I regularly got above 100 block and 100 str in each fight. I still had 3 potions going into The Heart, including a Cultist and Strength potion for even more infinite str, I got a Demon form right out of the gate, Disarmed it so that first x12 attack did no damage, got a Limit Break to shoot my strength up even further... and the damn thing still stomped me into the ground like two turns later. I can only have so many Imperviouses in a deck.

I hadn't even made it to the Ascension difficulty where bosses get harder yet (unlocked with this one); why is this thing kicking my ass so hard?
    Well, it's hard to say without seeing you play, but it sounds like you're trying to be too diverse. Barricade works best when you trim your deck to focus on defense and rely on bodyslam for damage, while demon form obviously relies on strength stacking and damage cards. They don't synergize very well together at all, and running them both makes your deck too bloated. I typically pick a strategy fairly early and then remove cards I don't need.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I consider The Heart to be a bonus boss. A successful run does not require fighting it, and even a really OP deck can lose to it via a bad draw. Heck, just being the wrong kind of deck can work against you - decks that focus on alpha striking the Heart will run into its damage gates and get killed on the backswing.

Don't sweat losing to The Heart. You're supposed to.

10. - Top - End - #460

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I consider The Heart to be a bonus boss. A successful run does not require fighting it, and even a really OP deck can lose to it via a bad draw. Heck, just being the wrong kind of deck can work against you - decks that focus on alpha striking the Heart will run into its damage gates and get killed on the backswing.

Don't sweat losing to The Heart. You're supposed to.
    I don't think that's true. The heart just penalizes aggressive playstyles. It's basically impossible to lose to it if you have a deck that can build block easily.

I don't think it's very well designed though. It penalizes high card volume aggressive styles too much while being trivial against lower volume defensive ones. There's already one boss in the game that penalizes using a lot of cards. It didn't need a second. Especially since it's a lot harder to overcome than the time eater is. If I'm building a deck to beat the heart, I basically just make sure I can build a bunch of block every turn, and have a way to dump bad status cards. You can't really lose if you do that.

I don't enjoy that playstyle though. I'm another player that enjoys the glass canon build, so the heart boss is a real buzz-kill. Especially since it's the only one that you're guaranteed to face, so you feel obligated to build for it.
    Last edited by Anteros; Today at 05:09 AM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I don't think that's true. The heart just penalizes aggressive playstyles. It's basically impossible to lose to it if you have a deck that can build block easily.

I don't think it's very well designed though. It penalizes high card volume aggressive styles too much while being trivial against lower volume defensive ones. There's already one boss in the game that penalizes using a lot of cards. It didn't need a second. Especially since it's a lot harder to overcome than the time eater is. If I'm building a deck to beat the heart, I basically just make sure I can build a bunch of block every turn, and have a way to dump bad status cards. You can't really lose if you do that.

I don't enjoy that playstyle though. I'm another player that enjoys the glass canon build, so the heart boss is a real buzz-kill. Especially since it's the only one that you're guaranteed to face, so you feel obligated to build for it.
    You're only guaranteed to face it if you go out of your way to gather the keys. Which, again, is not required. The Heart didn't exist until near the end of Early Access, and was the last thing added to the game (prior to The Watcher DLC, that is). Not facing The Heart does not penalize you in any way. It doesn't stop you from building Ascension levels, or from unlocking cards. A run where you beat Act 3 is considered a win. Literally the only benefit to beating it is bragging rights and seeing the "true" ending. It's the very definition of a bonus boss.

And yeah, it's badly designed. It feels tacked on because it is. All the love and care went into the main portion of the game.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    You're only guaranteed to face it if you go out of your way to gather the keys. Which, again, is not required. The Heart didn't exist until near the end of Early Access, and was the last thing added to the game (prior to The Watcher DLC, that is). Not facing The Heart does not penalize you in any way. It doesn't stop you from building Ascension levels, or from unlocking cards. A run where you beat Act 3 is considered a win. Literally the only benefit to beating it is bragging rights and seeing the "true" ending. It's the very definition of a bonus boss.

And yeah, it's badly designed. It feels tacked on because it is. All the love and care went into the main portion of the game.
    I'm fully aware of how the mechanics work. I agree that it's tacked on, and I expected a lot more from the final chapter of the game. Nevertheless, it's clearly the last boss of the game, and the game goes out of its way to taunt you if you don't beat it. I don't personally consider it a win if I don't beat it, but if you do then that's fine. It's a single player game after all.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

So, after enjoying Cultist Simulator, I went "why not" and decided to try Sunless Skies since they apparently added a "non-roguelike" option to it unlike Sunless Seas. Eh. Again, as expected from their developers, the writing is top-notch, but after the first several hours, I just had enough of the brain melting pace of all the port-to-port travel. Fortunately, reddit had the answer, and its name is "Cheat Engine".

Now, normally I dislike installing third party programs or even modding games before tasting the vanilla "experience" at least once, but, yeah, this one had it coming. I don't know what kind of minds govern Failbetter Games, but having such high-quality writing clashing with dumb, grindy mechanics in such a consistent manner is probably only possible by their hands in the gaming market.
    Last edited by Cespenar; Today at 08:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Colossus in the Playground

They are the makers of a dumb, grindy, extremely slow browser game with excellent writing, and it shows. All their games are like that. They've always been bad developers and great writers. Their artists are improving too. Now if only they could hire some good game makers.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    They are the makers of a dumb, grindy, extremely slow browser game with excellent writing, and it shows. All their games are like that. They've always been bad developers and great writers. Their artists are improving too. Now if only they could hire some good game makers.
    Yep, I tried Fallen London quite some time ago as well, but the sheer consistency and depth of that clash still strike me as pretty interesting. Most teams would get better game designers, or get better as game designers. Or go bankrupt. Kudos for their writers for carrying the team, I guess.
    Last edited by Cespenar; Today at 08:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Well, it's hard to say without seeing you play, but it sounds like you're trying to be too diverse. Barricade works best when you trim your deck to focus on defense and rely on bodyslam for damage, while demon form obviously relies on strength stacking and damage cards. They don't synergize very well together at all, and running them both makes your deck too bloated. I typically pick a strategy fairly early and then remove cards I don't need.
    That's been how I run it, too. Try to see what my first 1-2 important cards are and then devote my playstyle entirely around them. Seems like Barricade was the outlier in his deck, though. Heart naturally shuts show alpha-strike decks, which sounds like what his strategy was. Not sure what Barricade was doing for him without an armor build.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; Today at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!