New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Slightly abbreviated the main title to fit the rest in.

Incidentally, I now expect everyone to address me as "Eternal Champion", as dictated by Uriel Septim VII, Emperor of Tamriel.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

This is the most obscure reference I think I've ever convinced anyone was a good idea.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Picked up Persona 5 Royal. Haven't touched it yet, of course, because of work and other projects but looking forward to it. Haven't made any ground on the end of Trials of Mana either for the same reason. Hoping next week I can actually use my weekend to dig into these games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    This is the most obscure reference I think I've ever convinced anyone was a good idea.
    Mind explaining the joke?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

I assumed it's the movie title "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Playing Animal Crossing New Horizons.
    The island life is oddly relaxing, considering I'm running around doing stuff the whole time.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

After having completed a campaign on hard with every playable faction in Rome: Total War, I've moved on to do the same in the Barbarian Invasion expansion.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I assumed it's the movie title "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"?
    Folklore in Missouri says that quote originated from a newspaper (so don't believe it), and it was a novel before a movie.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Blackguards 2:
    The hardest missions so far are Escaping after meeting the dwarf (enemies keep pouring in and you supposed to run) and so far fighting the Druid boss.
    Bought it previously, but never played till now during home for a while.

Wish they made conditions for victory/failure clear, they don't tell you there is a turn limit for running away.
    Shadow Clone is best spell every (if your mage is archer/warrior sub) because the clone is a meatshield and can fight if you can (seems to hit harder since your likely slide some points of your weapon skill slider to defense, they seem all offense).

FF7 Remake:
    I play sporadically. Love the fighting style.
    Love seeing how different and the same everything feels.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

So, I started up playing Sekiro. It's... frustrating, at times. There's something about the way attacks animate that feels like it's making it harder for me to judge the timing of defensive actions - or perhaps it's just that parrying is so important, and the timing it requires is really precise. Also, those attacks where you get a red symbol flashed at you throw me off - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order did the same thing, but in that game those were simply unblockable attacks you had to dodge, where in this one they could be that, or a sweeping attack you're expected to jump over, or a thrust attack you can do a special counter against. So, old habits take over and I often just dodge to the side immediately when I see that, but that just gets me hit when it's the sweeping attack, which it often seems to be in this early part of the game.

Still, I guess I'm starting to get the hang of it. It took me probably a half-dozen or more tries to beat the first mini-boss of the game, but I just faced what I think is the first real boss (big guy on a horse protecting the castle gates) and beat him on the first try. ...and then I proceeded to take three tries to beat a mini-boss that comes shortly after him, the flaming bulll, so yeah, no getting cocky.

Honestly, a lot of the time, it feels more like a stealth game than an action game. You can get free one-shot kills on enemies you sneak up on, and combat is very dangerous, with even easy enemies being deadly in large numbers, so you're very incentivized to do that a lot. Which is not exactly what I was hoping for out of the game, but oh well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, being as it's from the makers of Dark Souls - they seem to like making games where cautious play is the way to go if you want to win.

Actually, between all the stealth and the grappling hook arm that gets all kinds of attachments (which is kind of cool at least), the game kind of reminds me of a Batman: Arkham game, but with swords. And deadlier enemies.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    So, I started up playing Sekiro. It's... frustrating, at times. There's something about the way attacks animate that feels like it's making it harder for me to judge the timing of defensive actions - or perhaps it's just that parrying is so important, and the timing it requires is really precise. Also, those attacks where you get a red symbol flashed at you throw me off - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order did the same thing, but in that game those were simply unblockable attacks you had to dodge, where in this one they could be that, or a sweeping attack you're expected to jump over, or a thrust attack you can do a special counter against. So, old habits take over and I often just dodge to the side immediately when I see that, but that just gets me hit when it's the sweeping attack, which it often seems to be in this early part of the game.

Still, I guess I'm starting to get the hang of it. It took me probably a half-dozen or more tries to beat the first mini-boss of the game, but I just faced what I think is the first real boss (big guy on a horse protecting the castle gates) and beat him on the first try. ...and then I proceeded to take three tries to beat a mini-boss that comes shortly after him, the flaming bulll, so yeah, no getting cocky.

Honestly, a lot of the time, it feels more like a stealth game than an action game. You can get free one-shot kills on enemies you sneak up on, and combat is very dangerous, with even easy enemies being deadly in large numbers, so you're very incentivized to do that a lot. Which is not exactly what I was hoping for out of the game, but oh well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, being as it's from the makers of Dark Souls - they seem to like making games where cautious play is the way to go if you want to win.

Actually, between all the stealth and the grappling hook arm that gets all kinds of attachments (which is kind of cool at least), the game kind of reminds me of a Batman: Arkham game, but with swords. And deadlier enemies.
    Yeah, I found the bull to be a lot harder than the horse boss. I died a lot more than 3 times to him on my first run too, so you're doing better than I did. The thing about Sekiro is that it basically plays the opposite of a normal Souls game so your instincts play against you. It takes some getting used to. The best thing to do in any fight is always to close with the opponent and strike them or parry. As opposed to a Souls game where you normally want to dodge and wait for a window to hit, dodging is almost always the wrong decision in Sekiro. Even if dodging works you're letting the enemy refill their posture, where parrying, jumping, or mikiri countering continues to build it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    FF7 Remake:
    I play sporadically. Love the fighting style.
    Love seeing how different and the same everything feels.
    I'm trying to like it, but I'm having a hard time getting invested. I like the combat, but the story pacing feels really slow. You can absolutely tell that they stretched 5 hours of content into 40. It's well done, and very polished, but there's really only so far you can stretch that story out before I get bored.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2020-05-07 at 09:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Just had the easiest Avenger Defense mission in XCOM 2 I've ever experienced. For one thing i've been grinding away for a while with the best of everything trying to get the alien rulers to finally die, so my soldiers are all amazing, but apparently the turrets have Squadsight and two attacks per round (thanks to the engineer)? Which made it hilarious when the Archon King showed up - he was so far away he couldn't see anyone, but my Reaper snuck up to the pillar and saw him. Now he couldn't see the Turrets, and ruler reactions no longer trigger if the ruler can't see the actor, so he only moved on successful shots against him, creeping across from the very back corner of the map as the turrets ground his health to bits. He did retreat again, but now he's got less than a quarter of his health and he didn't even attack this time. And the turrets and a sharpshooter made quick work of the spike as well.

It was weird though that it even happened. I did do the Guerrilla Op that was supposed to stop the UFO from tracking me, and I never got anything to say that the dark event happened, just Central telling me there was a UFO out there...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Just had the easiest Avenger Defense mission in XCOM 2 I've ever experienced. For one thing i've been grinding away for a while with the best of everything trying to get the alien rulers to finally die, so my soldiers are all amazing, but apparently the turrets have Squadsight and two attacks per round (thanks to the engineer)? Which made it hilarious when the Archon King showed up - he was so far away he couldn't see anyone, but my Reaper snuck up to the pillar and saw him. Now he couldn't see the Turrets, and ruler reactions no longer trigger if the ruler can't see the actor, so he only moved on successful shots against him, creeping across from the very back corner of the map as the turrets ground his health to bits. He did retreat again, but now he's got less than a quarter of his health and he didn't even attack this time. And the turrets and a sharpshooter made quick work of the spike as well.

It was weird though that it even happened. I did do the Guerrilla Op that was supposed to stop the UFO from tracking me, and I never got anything to say that the dark event happened, just Central telling me there was a UFO out there...
    My Avenger defense mission was over an hour of reinforcements being brought in every turn, having me dispatch them and then a new wave of reinforcements come in. So I was essentially stuck in place until I finally got a lucky sight on the spike to snipe it. I even recorded and posted the whole mission. That sure was a grind...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Well, my 0 death run of Sekiro was a failure. I died on the
    Spoiler: spoilers since someone else is playing the game
    Show
    second fight against Father Owl. I couldn't remember the proper counter to his firecrackers until it was too late.

Oh well. I'll go ahead and finish the game. Maybe I'll go for another 0 death run at some point in the future.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Well they just added Mechwarrior 5 to MS Gamepass so I'm installing that now. But I'm so not used to new games and how much space they take up, my SSD is practically full already. I should pick up another, but they seem to have went up in price since I bought mine 6 months ago.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm playing Kingdom Rush, the old tower defense game, on PC. Weird for me since I tend to go for the long, involved, thoughtful games. Even weirder 'cause I'm playing on the easiest difficulty level, which isn't something I usually do. But sometimes, you just need to turn your brain off and watch things explode a lot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Well they just added Mechwarrior 5 to MS Gamepass so I'm installing that now. But I'm so not used to new games and how much space they take up, my SSD is practically full already. I should pick up another, but they seem to have went up in price since I bought mine 6 months ago.
    Mechwarrior 5 is a game I mostly really like. Story's that perfect videogame combination of paper thin and completely unobtrusive, some merciful human being in the interface department decided to let you ignore the giant, exquisitely rendered hanger with different stations for everything, and just let you do 99% of what you want to do by going straight to the menu, and stuff blow up real good. It sort of ends up feeling like Mount and Blade, except you control a strange cross between a tank and a battleship, and quite frequently get to walk through buildings. Only real downside is that it probably goes too long, and there isn't really enough mission variety to support that length. Getting new mechs is great fun, and the random mission generator is one of the better exemplars of its type, but boy are there a lot of missions to grind through so you can get the necessary cash. Either that or I just suck.

Just don't do the defense missions. The game is at its best when you are blowing everything up; as such, keeping the bad people from blowing stuff up is an unnatural perversion. Base destruction missions are a blast, particularly once you figure out you can hit buildings from way outside reticule range, so long as you know how to angle your shots. Nothing like delivering high explosive death from 14km away.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I'm waiting for the rest of my new PC to show up before giving MW5 another try. I keep getting sucked back into Battletech at the moment to fulfill my giant robot stomping, but MW5 is definitely waiting.

Of course so is X4:Foundations a game I've been ready to play for a while, that my PC just can't quite keep running. 2GB VRAM sounds excessive until it's not.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Trials of Mana, I remember the originally fondly and look forward to the nostalgia.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Had another fun morning messing around in Gears Tactics. The game does an exquisite job of making the tactical battles feel juuust this side of completely overwhelming. In part this is because I'm more used to XCOM, where having 10 enemies on screen is a complete death sentence, whereas in Gears its Tuesday morning as normal. But the game also just plain throws stuff at you constantly; we're talking entire enemy squads dropping in as reinforcements every other turn or so, so if you aren't killing 4+ enemies per turn, you're totally hosed.

Fortunately there's heavies camping out on overwatch. With a bit of careful placement, you can injure/interrupt/kill 3+ enemies in a single turn. It's a thing of beauty.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

@ Anteros - Don't worry about spoilers for Sekiro on my account. It doesn't exactly seem like a game where the story is all that important. Though I do at least appreciate that it has a clearer narrative than the Dark Souls games (and what I played of Bloodborne), so I'm not just wandering around fighting with no idea why my character is doing that in-game.

Anyway, progress report there: going well. I've taken down a couple more major bosses: Lady Butterfly and Genchiro. Lady Butterfly was a good fight, but only took three tries to handle, not that tough. Genchiro was considerably harder and I did not count how many tries it took - definitely double-digits though. Surprised me that the bastard actually needed three deathblows to finish off, though ironically, I feel like his last phase was easier than his second. He did kill me a couple of times where I got there, but eventually I finished him pretty quickly in that phase (on the third or fourth time getting to it I think) after getting the hang of the Lightning Counter thing, which is crazy effective on him. Actually, it was only my second try before I started to get through his first deathblow, so it really was that second one that gave me a lot of trouble I guess. And that started to get easier after I figured out the option select (to use a fighting game term) to beat both his thrust and sweep follow-ups to the jump attack: his the dodge button immediately as if to mabari counter, and it'll catch the thrust if he does that, but the sweep is slow enough that the dodge will end in time for you to jump it if he's not doing the thrust. Wish the bastard would lay off the bow though, that thing was probably the biggest problem I had fighting him overall, with how many different timings he has to fire it, and the fact that parrying its shots doesn't affect his posture at all, so he buys himself time to recover when he does it.

Anyway, damn good fight, liked that one.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-05-09 at 01:35 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I got extremely lucky yesterday that the square enix store still had Dragon Quest XI on sale for half off (missed the steam sale) so that's likely to consume the next couple weeks.

Not very far yet and taking my time with it. Haven't played a DQ game in years so want to take it slow and enjoy it.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    @ Anteros - Don't worry about spoilers for Sekiro on my account. It doesn't exactly seem like a game where the story is all that important. Though I do at least appreciate that it has a clearer narrative than the Dark Souls games (and what I played of Bloodborne), so I'm not just wandering around fighting with no idea why my character is doing that in-game.

Anyway, progress report there: going well. I've taken down a couple more major bosses: Lady Butterfly and Genchiro. Lady Butterfly was a good fight, but only took three tries to handle, not that tough. Genchiro was considerably harder and I did not count how many tries it took - definitely double-digits though. Surprised me that the bastard actually needed three deathblows to finish off, though ironically, I feel like his last phase was easier than his second. He did kill me a couple of times where I got there, but eventually I finished him pretty quickly in that phase (on the third or fourth time getting to it I think) after getting the hang of the Lightning Counter thing, which is crazy effective on him. Actually, it was only my second try before I started to get through his first deathblow, so it really was that second one that gave me a lot of trouble I guess. And that started to get easier after I figured out the option select (to use a fighting game term) to beat both his thrust and sweep follow-ups to the jump attack: his the dodge button immediately as if to mabari counter, and it'll catch the thrust if he does that, but the sweep is slow enough that the dodge will end in time for you to jump it if he's not doing the thrust. Wish the bastard would lay off the bow though, that thing was probably the biggest problem I had fighting him overall, with how many different timings he has to fire it, and the fact that parrying its shots doesn't affect his posture at all, so he buys himself time to recover when he does it.

Anyway, damn good fight, liked that one.
    That's interesting. Most people I know had a far harder time with Butterfly than Genichiro. I personally think he's the easiest boss. Mostly because Genichiro is so ridiculously punishable once you have his combos down. His long combo into a sweep is basically suicide by the time I've parried it, jumped on him, and thrown an ichimonji double after the jump. It fills the whole bar. I'm interested in what you think of the other bosses.

Since you don't care about spoilers, I'll tell you theres 4 possible endings total. The point of no return for unlocking certain endings is when you beat the boss to get the dragon's tears. When you start seeing a lot of lightning you're there, so make sure you have everything done before you beat it. You can miss a whole boss and 2 mini bosses if you don't eavesdrop on certain people. There's also a missable optional boss at the very end of the game.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2020-05-10 at 04:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'm another that had a far harder time with Genichiro than Butterfly. I think this is because Genichiro is a "final exam" kind of boss. If you've absorbed what the game is trying to tell you about how to play he becomes easy. If you don't, well, here's your chance to learn. He's the gatekeeper to much scarier bosses later in the game.

His third phase is definitely easier than his second. I took this to be deliberate - he's a bit unhinged at that point and has become reckless with his attacks. It makes him more dangerous if you just scraped through the second phase but way easier if you already had his patterns down.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    That's interesting. Most people I know had a far harder time with Butterfly than Genichiro. I personally think he's the easiest boss. Mostly because Genichiro is so ridiculously punishable once you have his combos down. His long combo into a sweep is basically suicide by the time I've parried it, jumped on him, and thrown an ichimonji double after the jump. It fills the whole bar. I'm interested in what you think of the other bosses.

Since you don't care about spoilers, I'll tell you theres 4 possible endings total. The point of no return for unlocking certain endings is when you beat the boss to get the dragon's tears. When you start seeing a lot of lightning you're there, so make sure you have everything done before you beat it. You can miss a whole boss and 2 mini bosses if you don't eavesdrop on certain people. There's also a missable optional boss at the very end of the game.
    Really? My understanding was that Genichiro is one of, if not the, most infamous boss of the game. As someone who hadn't played it I'd nonetheless seen people talk online about how hard he was by name, whereas, aside from the final boss, I don't know if I ever saw other specific bosses mentioned, just the game's difficulty in general.

And by "long combo into a sweep" you mean that ~7 or 8 hit sequence he does that ends in a rather delayed final attack? (Last attack didn't look like a sweep to me, more like an uppercut-style slash.) Parrying most or all of that certainly was one of the ways I built a lot of posture damage on him, but even a few of those didn't fill his bar completely, and it took a number of tries to get all of those in a row down. (Also, don't know what an "ichimonji double" is, nor why you'd jump on him there - aside from sweeps and to Lightning Counter, I haven't really used jumping in combat so far.) If he'd ever done several of those in a row it would've been easier, but after dealing with that he tended to start using his bow again, which as I mentioned was kind of a problem for me.

As for Lady Butterfly, the big thing that probably made her a lot easier is that she has a glaring weakness to shuriken, since she jumps around so much. Easy to knock her out of the skies with those for big posture damage and an opening to strike her a couple of times for free. Becomes harder to do so in part 2 when she's conjuring those spirits, though, which was why it took me a few tries to get her.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2020-05-10 at 10:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

well Genichiro and Butterfly were both hard and took many deaths to take down for me, but I would say Genichiro is harder, because Butterfly doesn't have his mix-up game that he has going on, Butterfly can be knocked down off perches with shuriken, and generally as long as you keep running in circles around Butterfly and hitting her, you will probably win.

with Genichiro, its more complex and you have to constantly parry more while mixing it up with other ways to counter, plus the third phase despite its ease can still kill you if your tired from the other two. I know that Genichiro was one of the hardest fights in a videogame I ever faced and made feel tired and victorious afterwards while Butterfly while hard got predictable enough that I figured out a method that consistently works. I can't say the same for Genichiro, my victory over him was probably half luck and adrenaline while I was in the zone.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I think a big difference between people could be that Butterfly is accessible very early on, and for a wide period of time; while upon reaching Genichiro you're almost guaranteed to have a certain amount of in-game experience, along with other more tangible bonuses.

For example, I sorta got spoiled by a friend that Butterfly was a pretty tough boss, so I flat out didn't try it until I got far into the game. As a result, beat her in far less tries than I beat Genichiro. If I had done it the other way, I suspect I'd have had completely the opposite results.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

No I beat Butterfly before I beat Genichiro. he is harder, even with more upgrades, those don't matter as much as people think.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    what's it a reference to?

might as well say something else on topic. Finally won a game of ftl, but I'd mostly stopped playing and it was jsut one last game that was going very well.
    Was playing ToME, but been getting out of it as I feel I've largely played it out.

reminds me, I gotta get back to all those VasantJ minigames (a long series of funny online games).
    Last edited by zlefin; 2020-05-10 at 06:34 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Fair bit of Sekiro progress today. Went through the mountain temple, defeated the four monkeys "boss fight" (does it even qualify as a boss? The game treats it like one, but it sure doesn't feel like one...) and got the Mortal Blade. Then went down into the Sunken Valley and beat the Giant Ape - that one took a couple of tries, but entirely for his first phase. His attacks in that phase are so erratic and fast that parrying them was almost impossible, and he's so quick that keeping up offense is difficult, so it was only remembering that the Firecracker tool is very effective on animals that let me deal with that. Strangely, that second phase where he goes undead on you and starts swinging a sword was easier, and I beat that in one try - albeit barely, as I was out of healing by the time that I did and was expecting to need another try.

Left off at the start of the Ashina Depths (just past the giant underground snake), so I guess that's up next.