Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445
Results 1,321 to 1,326 of 1326
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

If anyone really liked some of the elements of the Valkyrie Profile games, there is this free B game on Android that took a lot of the same elements and made it into a weird resource-management RPG.

It's called Valkyrie RPG.

The graphics are garbage, but the game is really solid. Basically, you take on dead heroes and level them up. The catch is that your Valkyrie's level is equal to the average level of your party's heroes, and each hero has a limit as to how many dungeon rooms they're allowed to clear. The better the hero is when you send them to Valhalla, the more points you get to permanently upgrade your Valkyrie and souls to spend on better low-level heroes. Plus, the heroes you send to Valhalla are used to fight in Ragnarok with the same equipment you sent them with.

So you're constantly being strained between having to balance your party between leveling several "children" with a single high-level babysitter, trying to make sure you don't get rid of all of your best gear (but giving away your second best gear), and figuring out which set of dungeons are the best challenge for your party.

At first, you're fine having a bunch of leveling heroes, as long as you aren't shuffling them out too quickly. I've hit the endgame where the best strategy is to have two babysitters while a single hero levels up beyond them and replaces the worst of the two.

Great game. Give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

So I'm kinda torn on the Post-100 battle pass skins in fortnite.

See, while super-sellout-y the Marvel Heroes skins are really nice this season. Doom and Storm are particularly top tier IMO. The rest aren't bad, though I don't particularly care for the Jennifer Walters or Tony Stark models (the She Hulk and Ironman transformations look good though). Once you have some of the skins, if you beat 10 certain weekly challenges you get to unlock a new version (Red SheHulk, 90' Punk Rock Storm, God Emperor Doom, Mystique in sexy leather and 2 different Wolverine skins: Classic brown/yellow and Logan in ripped jeans/wifebeater). They look great and I dunno who's decision it was, but my hat's off to whoever picked the best alternate for Storm. You have my blessings to keep making those choices.

I do find it's cool that you're given further reason to keep playing and doing the weekly/daily/special missions and collect the XP coins, but some of these skins look... very meh.

This trend started a while ago, with a few specific skins slowly unlocking a new form and then being locked at that % once the season was over. It took forever to grind them and wasn't much fun. A nice bonus for the people who keep playing, but grinding for it was tedious and only the most die-hard fortnite players (or those that exploited the systems) could get them. Not something a casual like me could really look forward to.

Fast Forward a bit, and this season is probably the best implementation of it: each skin has 3 post-100 versions: Silver, gold and foil. it cycles through all 8 skins, unlocking a one tier for it every 5 levels, then going to the next tier. So you need to be battlepass lv220 to unlock all 3 bonus skins for all 8... this is actually less levels needed then the last season... but dang if they're not ugly. the last few ones were rather lazy, simply replacing the texture with a flat gold colour, but these ones still aren't really that nice to look at. Silver Ironman is actually cool because I can use it as a War Machine alternate, Silver Storm is more like a sidegrade and Silver Mystique is very OK. Gold Doom is nearly redundant because his normal alternate is God Emperor Doom... who's already heavily gold and a solid Gold Groot is somehow pleasingly gaudy.

All the Foils ones look absolutely hideous though IME and outside of bragging rights, I don't see myself putting the effort unlocking them.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Coughed up, hacked out, and bought the HMS Hood in World of Warships.

I seem to explode a lot.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Coughed up, hacked out, and bought the HMS Hood in World of Warships.

I seem to explode a lot.
    Quite accurate to reality, then!

I'm onto Tales of Cold Steel 3 at the moment, and I wish that Falcom would make up their minds whether they want arts to be useful or not, because we seem to be back to the Cold Steel 1 system where arts simply don't do enough damage to make them worth using in 90% of situations, considering their disadvantages--especially since they seem to take longer to cast than they used to. I mean, Cold Steel 2 maybe took things a bit too far in the other direction, what with a master quartz that flat-out doubled arts damage for a 50% additional EP cost--my Emma would regularly hit upward of 40k damage with some spells. Weird thing is, Trails in the Sky was pretty much perfectly balanced in this regard, so I wish they'd go back to that!

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Quite accurate to reality, then!

I'm onto Tales of Cold Steel 3 at the moment, and I wish that Falcom would make up their minds whether they want arts to be useful or not, because we seem to be back to the Cold Steel 1 system where arts simply don't do enough damage to make them worth using in 90% of situations, considering their disadvantages--especially since they seem to take longer to cast than they used to. I mean, Cold Steel 2 maybe took things a bit too far in the other direction, what with a master quartz that flat-out doubled arts damage for a 50% additional EP cost--my Emma would regularly hit upward of 40k damage with some spells. Weird thing is, Trails in the Sky was pretty much perfectly balanced in this regard, so I wish they'd go back to that!
    So, Steel 3 is a lot like Steel 1. Your Arts are trash... For the first third of the game or so. By the time you get access to the third tier of spells from decent Quartz and a couple of Bells and cast time reducers, plus the Arts-boosting Master Quartz Arts... Really aren't useless. At all. Even without Brave Order shenanigans (and Divine Song is deeply, outrageously powerful for an Order you'll always have access to, much less one that's only 2 BP), Musse or Emma packing a good setup can get to the point that top-end Arts are only 16-20 time units total cycle time, and hit for similar numbers to CS2*. One of my favorite tactics was just popping Divine Song after using big, Delay-heavy Crafts on all my melee fighters and getting 8 turns in a row with Musse, fully refilling her HP and EP every turn and dealing heavy damage to every enemy. By the time you're out of Divine Song the enemies will probably all be either dead or in Break state, allowing your melee squad to wail on them for a while.

But at the start of the game, when the closest thing to a caster you have is Altina (note: She's a hybrid at best, and really more of a tank/support than anything) and your available Arts are all garbage? Yeah, maybe avoid the ATS builds. Generally speaking, around about the time you get to play with Musse and/or Emma is when Arts are starting to be useful. And no, I don't consider 'Musse joins the party' to be a spoiler. She's on the damn box art, and she's not present at all before this game. Obviously she's joining the party.

*So, this is a lie, but only because damage stacking in CS2 could reach much more absurd extremes. 30k on the right enemy isn't hard to reach in that game. My first Art of a battle usually hit for 80-100k by end-game. More if I got lucky and hit Casting Cost 0 and got to throw a Lost Art for free. In CS3 you're probably looking at about 30k by endgame, maybe a bit less if you don't have a high elemental multiplier.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most people probably don't even look at the box art for their games. I can't even tell you the last time I even bought a physical copy, much less paid attention to the box art. That's probably not a good criteria for deciding if something is a spoiler.