New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Yeah, I built multiple bases, but also never worked out I could build thermal generators down there, so I had long tubes running to the surface for solar power.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Honestly the two last things I found in Subnautica were the Scanner Room and the Cyclops the first time around. I beat the game before I found the Cyclops.
    I now have a prawn suit, two or three bases, a cyclops and a seamoth, but still no beacons. There don't seem to be any that I can find. I'm still dropping cameras at interesting points and then writing a list of what each camera signifies.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2020-05-21 at 06:30 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Didn't find nuclear power either, I take it? That's what I use for my deep sea base.
    ithilanor on Steam.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

I found it, but kept getting eaten by leviathans. After about my third seamoth I decided the game was telling me something.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    There's a whole lot of other options besides those two though. I'd prefer neither of them personally.
    I mean, I'm open to better RPG suggestions at this point (at all times, actually), no sarcasm. I praised Trails' horn because it simply does things that other games don't, not because it's immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    Except that half the time Trails wants you to take it super-seriously, and the other half, it's ridiculous. I didn't object to Red Alert 2 or Advance Wars, because those know they are silly and never try to be serious.

Really? One of the primary antagonists of Trails of Cold Steel II is Bleublanc a.k.a. Phantom Thief B. Who constantly gives the heroes clues so that they can figure out what he is about to steal. Can you see, say, Michael Corleone carefully giving the FBI clues that he was about to kill Sollozzo? Just so he can "feel superior" about it? No, of course not. Michael Corleone is in a serious (if somewhat melodramatic) work of fiction. I'm sorry, Bleublanc is an Adam-West-Batman villain, not a villain in a serious work of fiction.

And can you really tell me what Ouroboros' big plan IS? Not even the fan wiki can do that. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the writers have no idea what Ouroboros' "master plan" is either; they just do whatever they need to move the plot along. And this is main antagonist group of the whole series.

Again, if Trails had been willing to just be silly and lean into the silly, I would have been fine with that. I was fine with Bleublanc in Trails of Cold Steel 1. The problem was that ToCS2 kept claiming to be deep and realistic, but then they have these 0-death wars and over-the-top villains and that's not how real life works. It's the contrast between the attempt to be serious and the inability to actually do it that soured me.
    I think it's sort of a perspective issue. While I didn't object to Red Alert 2 or Advance Wars as well, I wouldn't really hold them up to any sort of pedestal either. Middling expectation, middling standards. If, however, ToCS's serious bits ends up in you holding its shonen-y bits to quality standards that no game is being held to, you may see that as tonal clash, but I see that as those serious bits really succeeding at what they do.

I suppose another difference is that I (unfortunately :P) watch "some" amount of anime and can sort of "accept" the shonen parts as a whole package.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-05-21 at 01:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've been playing Persona 5 Royal for the past few days. And dang, with me not having re-played P5 since it came out, I keep second-guessing whether things in it are new additions or if I've just forgotten them. I mean, they clearly added new story scenes throughout with the new girl, but didn't just stop there as there's new content for characters besides her. I'm 90+% positive the grappling hook is new, for instance... but maybe I just forgot? Or what about Baton Pass giving you a 0 sp/hp cost move if you pass it through the whole team? Or being able to see a shadow's personality type before you try to speak to it?

At the least, I'm completely sure that Will Seeds in the Palaces are new - kind of feels like they were added to make one-day runs of Palaces more feasible, since it felt like I found one in Kamoshida's Palace every time I was running low on sp and considering backing out at the next safe room. Which is kind of nice, especially since new social links will mean time is even tighter to max things out than before - and I know I missed maxing at least one social link (the fortune teller) the first time I played, possibly another that I'm forgetting.

Also, I'll just say... damn, it is one thing to remember how captivating this game's opening is, it's another to re-play it again. I am so looking forward to kicking Shadow Kamoshida's ass.

Speaking of ass-kicking, I'm also back on Dragonball FighterZ... not that I'd stopped for long, but still. Ultra Instinct Goku just released, and since I bought the full season pass this time (had a rather generous PSN gift card from the holidays, decided I may as well), I tried him out, and he's actually rather fun. He gets a lot more defensive options than anyone else in that game, and some of them are just darn cool - "dodging" attacks with his unique counter stance that causes him to slip behind enemies no matter where they are on the screen is pretty awesome when you pull it off, especially against beams or other projectiles the opponent throws from full screen. Also, his level 3 super just looks sick, and he has a Captain Commando assist, so yeah, awesome. Still trying to decide on his teammates though - pretty sure I want Goku Black (my preferred beam assist character and the only other "Goku" that I play), but the third team member is harder to nail down. Currently using Vegito for his tracking C assist (and because he was on the team I was playing before UI Goku dropped), but I feel like there has to be someone else who can fill his role while benefiting more from UI Goku's assist.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

7. - Top - End - #97
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Didn't find nuclear power either, I take it? That's what I use for my deep sea base.
    I just used a bioreactor with one lantern tree in a pot. Enough infinite power to make Palpatine jealous.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I just used a bioreactor with one lantern tree in a pot. Enough infinite power to make Palpatine jealous.
    Yeah, the lantern tree is a bit OP, being a perfect source for the bioreactor, food, and to a lesser extent water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Speaking of ass-kicking, I'm also back on Dragonball FighterZ... not that I'd stopped for long, but still. Ultra Instinct Goku just released, and since I bought the full season pass this time (had a rather generous PSN gift card from the holidays, decided I may as well), I tried him out, and he's actually rather fun. He gets a lot more defensive options than anyone else in that game, and some of them are just darn cool - "dodging" attacks with his unique counter stance that causes him to slip behind enemies no matter where they are on the screen is pretty awesome when you pull it off, especially against beams or other projectiles the opponent throws from full screen. Also, his level 3 super just looks sick, and he has a Captain Commando assist, so yeah, awesome. Still trying to decide on his teammates though - pretty sure I want Goku Black (my preferred beam assist character and the only other "Goku" that I play), but the third team member is harder to nail down. Currently using Vegito for his tracking C assist (and because he was on the team I was playing before UI Goku dropped), but I feel like there has to be someone else who can fill his role while benefiting more from UI Goku's assist.
    Checked out UI Goku. fooling around with him made me figure out how to counter with his quarter-circle G and by extension, figure out how quarter circle G's and quarter circles in general work for keyboard. he is capable of a lot of stuff and is very much a counterplay character thats all about interrupting the foes stuff with your own. which I found more fun than I was expecting him to be, I can tell with practice one could probably pull off his counters and just style on everyone. like UI Goku is basically for nothing BUT pulling off the fancy stuff. a team of Vegito, Gogeta and UI Goku would just be incredibly extra for days.

also came on after gone for months and just got a bunch of zeni so I spent it all on capsules to get all the stuff I possibly could. now I have like....all the things.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Yeah, the lantern tree is a bit OP, being a perfect source for the bioreactor, food, and to a lesser extent water.
    Huh, I never thought to grab that. Looking at the wiki, makes sense, though.

...I like my giant aquarium alien containment tank full of peepers for food, though, it's neat.
    Last edited by IthilanorStPete; 2020-05-22 at 09:00 AM.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Banned

I'm trying to get into Terraria. I like it, but the difficulty levels are frustrating to me. There's either basically no consequence to dying at all on softcore, or way too much penalty on other modes. Obviously I'm not ready for Hardcore since I keep dying, but the middle difficulty makes you drop everything when you die. It's a decent mechanic in theory, but in reality it leads to these 20+minute corpse runs where you have no gear and are just hoping the thing that killed you in the first place left your corpse alone so you can get your stuff and not die instantly when you get there.

I eventually started keeping a backup set of gear so I could fight my way to the first...but then your inventory is full of duplicate stuff when you finally manage to get your gear, and you basically have to go back and unload it anyway. It just leads to a lot of boring walking back and forth through areas you've already explored. I just wish there was a difficulty mode with some sort of punishment for dying that didn't involve a lot of mindless timesink.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a real shame. I'd consider those 2 things to he the best upgrades in the game. It's a completely different experience without them.

The Cyclops in particular...
    Spoiler
    Show
    what other open world game gives you a mobile base that you can build inside?
    Steering the thing is like trying to drive a building though.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

I played a lot of X3, so it's nicely responsive to me.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying to get into Terraria. I like it, but the difficulty levels are frustrating to me. There's either basically no consequence to dying at all on softcore, or way too much penalty on other modes. Obviously I'm not ready for Hardcore since I keep dying, but the middle difficulty makes you drop everything when you die. It's a decent mechanic in theory, but in reality it leads to these 20+minute corpse runs where you have no gear and are just hoping the thing that killed you in the first place left your corpse alone so you can get your stuff and not die instantly when you get there.

I eventually started keeping a backup set of gear so I could fight my way to the first...but then your inventory is full of duplicate stuff when you finally manage to get your gear, and you basically have to go back and unload it anyway. It just leads tentendo a lot of boring walking back and forth through areas you've already explored. I just wish there was a difficulty mode with some sort of punishment for dying that didn't involve a lot of mindless timesink.
    I agree -- me and my friend eventually turned to softcore (double-entendres ahoy :P) because of that, and our quality of life skyrocketed.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Colossus in the Playground

If anything, the various cameras make it easier than various space games I've played (flashbacks to Elite Dangerous *shudder*)
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Steering the thing is like trying to drive a building though.
    You're not wrong, but the sonar upgrade is a fantastic quality of life upgrade on that front. Burns through power relatively quickly, but you really only need to pulse it to get a good feel for your surroundings and figure out where you will and won't fit.

Honestly, I kind of like that it feels so ponderous. Makes me feel like I'm actually driving something huge and impressive.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Checked out UI Goku. fooling around with him made me figure out how to counter with his quarter-circle G and by extension, figure out how quarter circle G's and quarter circles in general work for keyboard. he is capable of a lot of stuff and is very much a counterplay character thats all about interrupting the foes stuff with your own. which I found more fun than I was expecting him to be, I can tell with practice one could probably pull off his counters and just style on everyone. like UI Goku is basically for nothing BUT pulling off the fancy stuff. a team of Vegito, Gogeta and UI Goku would just be incredibly extra for days.
    Quarter-circle G? Not familiar with keyboard commands, but I assume that G is the heavy + ki blast macro, to do his counter super? I actually forget that thing exists a lot of the time, since UI Goku just has so many reversal options it never feels like I need to spend the full bar on it. Just hold light + medium as you recover from a hit to get an invincible teleport-punch, or he has his quarter-circle back + heavy flip attack that's full invincible and leads to a combo for only half a bar, or his down down + ki blast energy pillar special that's also invincible and doesn't cost any meter. All crazy punishable on block of course, but they'd be broken as hell if they weren't.

also came on after gone for months and just got a bunch of zeni so I spent it all on capsules to get all the stuff I possibly could. now I have like....all the things.
    Yeah, they just gave out 5 million zeni to all players to celebrate the game reaching 5 million copies sold, and that is pretty much enough to clean out the original store I'm fairly sure. I'd already done that over the course of the past two years of playing, so I spent it on some of the new BGMs they added in the new section of the store. Everything in there is crazy expensive though, so still don't have near all of that. Plus I feel like I need to keep a reserve around so that I can buy up capsules when the remaining new characters drop and get all of their alternate colors (and other assorted things that I won't use, but I want those colors).

Speaking of, in case you're not aware, it's possible that we know who the remaining 3 DLC characters that are coming to season 3 are. There's different levels of confidence for these, but supposedly datamining fond dialogue lines that have been added for existing characters that implies they'll be Omega Shenron, Master Roshi, and Radditz. Shenron seems to be the one we're most sure of, I haven't seen anyone challenge the legitimacy of that datamine, while there's some dispute over the validity of the Roshi and Radditz one. Still, seems pretty plausible to me. I don't know about Shenron, never watched GT, but if Radditz does come I might try out a full Saiyan Saga villains team (supposedly Base Vegeta is crazy strong this season), or if Roshi comes maybe I could do an all-human team - I already like playing Videl and Yamcha, but the only other fully normal human in the game at this point is Krillin, and I do not like him.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Quarter-circle G? Not familiar with keyboard commands, but I assume that G is the heavy + ki blast macro, to do his counter super? I actually forget that thing exists a lot of the time, since UI Goku just has so many reversal options it never feels like I need to spend the full bar on it. Just hold light + medium as you recover from a hit to get an invincible teleport-punch, or he has his quarter-circle back + heavy flip attack that's full invincible and leads to a combo for only half a bar, or his down down + ki blast energy pillar special that's also invincible and doesn't cost any meter. All crazy punishable on block of course, but they'd be broken as hell if they weren't.
    well I can't really say the actual button on the screen, because I have to memorize it by my keyboard commands and my mind can't connect the two if I want to do it well because I have no controller. so thats how I have to remember it. I basically have to play Fighter Z by putting my hands on the WASD and UHJK keys, with the WASD keys being the movement and the UHJK keys being the buttons, H is my simple combo attack, U is my y-combo, J is for ki blasts and K is for b button stuff? Y and L keys are for switching characters, the I key is for the big specials, G is for charging forward. I don't know how to sparking and thus don't use it.

Speaking of, in case you're not aware, it's possible that we know who the remaining 3 DLC characters that are coming to season 3 are. There's different levels of confidence for these, but supposedly datamining fond dialogue lines that have been added for existing characters that implies they'll be Omega Shenron, Master Roshi, and Radditz. Shenron seems to be the one we're most sure of, I haven't seen anyone challenge the legitimacy of that datamine, while there's some dispute over the validity of the Roshi and Radditz one. Still, seems pretty plausible to me. I don't know about Shenron, never watched GT, but if Radditz does come I might try out a full Saiyan Saga villains team (supposedly Base Vegeta is crazy strong this season), or if Roshi comes maybe I could do an all-human team - I already like playing Videl and Yamcha, but the only other fully normal human in the game at this point is Krillin, and I do not like him.
    yeah those all seem like they could happen. Omega Shenron he won't standout amid all the other "powerful" characters on the roster he is just there for GT representation he's meh, but Raditz would complete the saiyan saga set nicely and Roshi is exactly the kind character I think they should put in. he could provide a unique playstyle based off being an old master showing up the young 'uns, he could do evil containment wave as a special, and he'd just be different and interesting in a way others would not, and I hope these are true because Shenron? probably inevitable, but mechanically I don't see how he'd standout? Raditz they probably could do something interesting with him, but Roshi? he'd be the gold, I hope he specifically is real for mechanical reasons. but Raditz would be nice for lore reasons.

like there is very little characters left as alternatives. we could have Dabura. he has a sword, stone spit, those could be interesting. we could have Tao Pai Pai maybe do something with his thrown column and being like, associated with Tien in some way I forget, TFS has said they'd want Mighty Mask/Garlic Junior/Pilaf in a robo suit, but none of those are going to happen I just don't see any of those making the cut they just don't have enough to make a moveset out of it, Super 17 is not happening, Baby would just be a Vegeta clone, no one wants GT Pan or General Rildo, Slug and Turles are too similar to Piccolo while they already have a better evil clone of Goku with Goku Black, Android 20 could be interesting have an energy drain counter and summon 19 as partner like Videl does with gohan, and past that I don't think anyone has enough popularity or staying power to make an effort for. but they could go for something completely unexpected like Chi-Chi which would be out of nowhere and hilarious, or they could go for another tournament of power character like Ribrianne or destruction god Toppo or the U9 wolves, so in order of most likely:

1-Omega Shenron (practically guaranteed given all the other characters they have being evil and powerful)
    2-Raditz (makes sense to round out the saiyan saga roster which is the direction they seemed to go with those eras of vegeta and goku)
    3-Master Roshi (would be great to have, could do great things with him, would round out team human)
    4-Dabura (has an interesting set of moves he can use, has the same evil coolness that omega Shenron has)
    5-Android 20 (would complete the android set given that he is relevant to the games storyline a bit and just think: mother, father son team with 16 and 21, and 19 as assist/partner character like 18 or videl)
    6-any other character (they haven't done any OG Dragon Ball representation or at least not much, they have done tournament of power characters like Jiren, Kefla and UI Goku, Android 17 on his own but those are the top of they are the most likely to do ever, but there is five other characters above whatever tournament of power character they pull out, I don't see them choosing Ribrianne or any other character from ToP over Roshi or Raditz. like there is a lot of ToP representation you can do, but arcsys is taking quality over quantity with this and they're not likely to go for a character people don't even know or remember, and I doubt they're going to draw from the manga arc which isn't finished. and if they were going to do an Angel character, it would be Whis and they'd already would've done it along with Beerus same with the Kais and Shin. they're pretty consistent about going for characters they can make an actual moveset from their source, and Kais and angels simply don't fight enough despite being powerful

like you can do interesting stuff with someone like Ribrianne, she lasted long enough in ToP to do a lot of things that one could a make a fighter out of in Fighter Z and be an interesting addition to the roster, the question is if anyone likes her enough to want a fat magical girl parody to be in their Dragon Ball fighter game.

Finally there is always the old Hercule lethal joke character standby that has been done by other Dragon Ball games in the past, but if that was going to be done, again they would've have already done it.)

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    You're not wrong, but the sonar upgrade is a fantastic quality of life upgrade on that front. Burns through power relatively quickly, but you really only need to pulse it to get a good feel for your surroundings and figure out where you will and won't fit.

Honestly, I kind of like that it feels so ponderous. Makes me feel like I'm actually driving something huge and impressive.
    Same. The Cyclops is a massive beast of a ship and I like that it feels like it.

I used an editor for Terraria to make my character softcore since restarting seemed like a hassle. It's a lot better. Mediumcore doesn't seem to add much besides tedium.

I refuse to buy the DBZ game unless they add the champ.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

well I can't really say the actual button on the screen, because I have to memorize it by my keyboard commands and my mind can't connect the two if I want to do it well because I have no controller. so thats how I have to remember it. I basically have to play Fighter Z by putting my hands on the WASD and UHJK keys, with the WASD keys being the movement and the UHJK keys being the buttons, H is my simple combo attack, U is my y-combo, J is for ki blasts and K is for b button stuff? Y and L keys are for switching characters, the I key is for the big specials, G is for charging forward. I don't know how to sparking and thus don't use it.
    If by "charging forward" you mean the homing dash, then yeah, quarter-circle + G would be UI Goku's counter super. It goes:

Light attack: Your fast close moves, also the three-hit auto-combo that goes into homing dash, and auto-combos in the air. I'm pretty sure this is what you mean by "simple combo attack."
    Medium attack: Slightly slower but usually further reaching than lights, also does an auto-combo on the ground, but it's usually just a couple of hits into a super. I think this is what you mean by "y-combo" (though I don't know why you call it that).
    Heavy attack: The big attacks that cause a brief camera zoom-in on hit and send the opponent flying, and you homing dash after them if you press the button a second time after the hit. I can only guess this is what you mean by "b button stuff."
    Ki blast: self-explanatory, the fourth main button.
    Light + Medium: Dragon Rush, aka the game's universal throw attack. Also used for most supers in combination with a quarter-circle forward or back.
    Medium + Heavy: Vanish attack, the one-bar universal special move that teleports behind the opponent and kicks them across the screen.
    Heavy + Ki Blast: Homing Dash, the move where you surround yourself in an energy aura and fly at the enemy no matter where they are. Also used for supers, though whether they're different from or the same as the Light + Medium ones varies from character to character.
    Light + Ki Blast: Ki Charge, aka the "shout and power up" move that nobody uses because it's terrible, but has to be in the game because it's Dragon Ball.

Character-switching is the two assist buttons. Sparking Blast is done with all four the main buttons simultaneously (or a one-button macro of that - I set mine to R2 on my PS4 controller).

You should be able to change your controls around as you wish - I mean, I can do it on the PS4, and it seems like it would be that much more important to have that functionality on a PC for the keyboard, so I can't imagine they left it out. Set one-button Sparking Blast, or Vanish, etc to whatever works for you.

yeah those all seem like they could happen. Omega Shenron he won't standout amid all the other "powerful" characters on the roster he is just there for GT representation he's meh, but Raditz would complete the saiyan saga set nicely and Roshi is exactly the kind character I think they should put in. he could provide a unique playstyle based off being an old master showing up the young 'uns, he could do evil containment wave as a special, and he'd just be different and interesting in a way others would not, and I hope these are true because Shenron? probably inevitable, but mechanically I don't see how he'd standout? Raditz they probably could do something interesting with him, but Roshi? he'd be the gold, I hope he specifically is real for mechanical reasons. but Raditz would be nice for lore reasons.

like there is very little characters left as alternatives. we could have Dabura. he has a sword, stone spit, those could be interesting. we could have Tao Pai Pai maybe do something with his thrown column and being like, associated with Tien in some way I forget, TFS has said they'd want Mighty Mask/Garlic Junior/Pilaf in a robo suit, but none of those are going to happen I just don't see any of those making the cut they just don't have enough to make a moveset out of it, Super 17 is not happening, Baby would just be a Vegeta clone, no one wants GT Pan or General Rildo, Slug and Turles are too similar to Piccolo while they already have a better evil clone of Goku with Goku Black, Android 20 could be interesting have an energy drain counter and summon 19 as partner like Videl does with gohan, and past that I don't think anyone has enough popularity or staying power to make an effort for. but they could go for something completely unexpected like Chi-Chi which would be out of nowhere and hilarious, or they could go for another tournament of power character like Ribrianne or destruction god Toppo or the U9 wolves, so in order of most likely:

1-Omega Shenron (practically guaranteed given all the other characters they have being evil and powerful)
    2-Raditz (makes sense to round out the saiyan saga roster which is the direction they seemed to go with those eras of vegeta and goku)
    3-Master Roshi (would be great to have, could do great things with him, would round out team human)
    4-Dabura (has an interesting set of moves he can use, has the same evil coolness that omega Shenron has)
    5-Android 20 (would complete the android set given that he is relevant to the games storyline a bit and just think: mother, father son team with 16 and 21, and 19 as assist/partner character like 18 or videl)
    6-any other character (they haven't done any OG Dragon Ball representation or at least not much, they have done tournament of power characters like Jiren, Kefla and UI Goku, Android 17 on his own but those are the top of they are the most likely to do ever, but there is five other characters above whatever tournament of power character they pull out, I don't see them choosing Ribrianne or any other character from ToP over Roshi or Raditz. like there is a lot of ToP representation you can do, but arcsys is taking quality over quantity with this and they're not likely to go for a character people don't even know or remember, and I doubt they're going to draw from the manga arc which isn't finished. and if they were going to do an Angel character, it would be Whis and they'd already would've done it along with Beerus same with the Kais and Shin. they're pretty consistent about going for characters they can make an actual moveset from their source, and Kais and angels simply don't fight enough despite being powerful

like you can do interesting stuff with someone like Ribrianne, she lasted long enough in ToP to do a lot of things that one could a make a fighter out of in Fighter Z and be an interesting addition to the roster, the question is if anyone likes her enough to want a fat magical girl parody to be in their Dragon Ball fighter game.

Finally there is always the old Hercule lethal joke character standby that has been done by other Dragon Ball games in the past, but if that was going to be done, again they would've have already done it.)
    Well, I'll say this much: FighterZ appears to focus mostly on DBZ, and secondarily on Super when picking its characters. From that perspective, I'd agree that they're running low on options from Z. They've basically got all of the real big names already, and the next best choices are the tertiary/minor antagonists of each arc: Radditz from the Saiyan Saga, Zarbon and Dodoria from the Freeza Saga, Androids 19 and 20 from the Android Saga, and Dabura (and maybe Babidi? Eh...) from the Buu Saga. Beyond that they'd have to go dipping into minor supporting characters like Nail or Pikkon, or a joke choice like Hercule. Or more alternate versions of existing characters I guess, like other forms of Freeza or Cell, or more Gokus or Vegetas, but there's only so much that anyone would want of those, and I think the three Vegetas, five Gokus, and two Buus that we already have is about there already. Super I'm not terribly familiar with since I haven't watched it, but my impression has been that Kefla and UI Goku were the last two big names that people were asking for from that, and we just got them.

GT I really can't say much about as, again, I haven't seen it, but from seeing others talk about it Omega Shenron and Baby are the only two anyone seems to credit as a real possibility. At least since we got SSB Gogeta and Kid GT Goku with the SS4 super, anyway, before that there were people saying they'd like to see SS4 Gogeta or SS4 Goku.

The movies I've only seen the Abridged versions of (so haven't seen any that Abridged didn't do), but my impression was that they covered the popular picks from there in season 1 of the DLC, when we got Bardock, Broly, and Cooler. But then they added Janemba in season 2, and I'd legitimately never heard of him before he was leaked for that, so I guess they could always surprise me there.

Then you've got original Dragon Ball, and... eh. Since we got Kid Goku from GT with the power pole, I don't think they'll be doing an original Kid Goku. I could see King Piccolo being an option, assuming they could make him play differently from Z Piccolo. And otherwise, well, there's Roshi, and that's about it. Everybody else from there that isn't in yet can't even do energy stuff IIRC, and with Homing Dash and Vanish being core mechanics to the game, you really need some passing amount of that to seem plausible (which is why I think they've never done Hercule). Even Videl is stretching it a bit as-is, since Vanish is a bit weird on her, but least Gohan taught her enough that you could see her learning to do something like that.

I know one Youtuber that I follow legitimately wants Bulma in a Mech and/or Turles (entirely because he's the only Saiyan who's not already in who could plausibly have a super involving turning into an Oozaru), but I'm pretty sure even he knows those aren't likely to actually happen.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Firbolg in the Playground

I play the division off and on to collect stuff and unlock classes and such. Every time I'm reminded of just how much better the story would be if it would step back and embrace just how messed up the setting is. I mean by the second half of Division 2, the SHD
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are officially rogue. They've turned against the remnant government in order to ensure the broad-spectrum antiviral can't be used as a political tool. You are part of a populist terrorist movement actively at war with what is essentially the US army.

And they do nothing with the concept. They just say you're the good guy and add in audio logs about the people you're fighting kicking puppies. Then the expansion happens and

Spoiler
    Show
    All of the safeguards on your tech is deactivated. Agents can no longer be locked out by being designated rogue. Everyone's concern about sociopaths with limitless power is happening. Everything the civilians, army and responder remnant, and even some Division agents worried about HAPPENED.

I'm just screaming at the writers how rich and amazing a setting they made is and all they do is assure you you're the good guy over and over again as you preemptively raid the headquarters of someone who was planning on getting revenge for the death of their daughter.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

ah, thanks on the sparking tip.

As for characters:
    yeeeeah, both Z and OG Dragon Ball are limited in options and the roster is full of clones already, and don't forget the two gohans. like maybe you could make a pre-final form freeza one if you stretch it, but why would you? or Imperfect Cell if you want? maybe super buu? but.....no.

so anything after these final season 3 characters would basically default to Super, and if they did a Season 4 well....they'd basically have to start drawing on semi-minor characters from the U6 tournament and tournament of power who were good enough to be notable in some manner beyond being some random one-off ability. the characters I'd see being likely for that would be:

1. God of Destruction Toppo
    2. Ribrianne
    3. Dyspo
    4. Trio De Dangers
    5. Frost
    6. maybe Catopesla if he is incredibly lucky.

with Aniraza, Auta Magetta and Botamo not being viable due either being large or having weird mechanics that don't match up to the fighting system, while Universe 4 is made of nothing but tricksters who also don't work with the fighting system, Universe 10 is not notable enough, nor is Universe 3 to be honest, Universe 9 died before it ever got going, and half the Universe 11 team got taken out by Kale without fusion in one episode so that tells you all you need to know about important they were. Universe 2 aside from Ribrianne was also filled with nothing but one offs. Cabba is just another smol saiyan, which between kid Gohan, Gotenks, Kid goku, we don't need.

so if there was a season four, it would be going to probably be about the ToP, and it would probably be the last one, because it would consist of "those guys who didn't make it to the final fight but we're kind of quirky and powerful enough to be relevant for more than two seconds". IE scrapping the bottom of the barrel. I doubt that'll happen. Season 3's probably the last. I doubt they're going to bother with Tournament of Power runner ups beyond Kefla. they already put in UI Goku, so they're probably done with that. its probably going to be Omega Shenron, Raditz and Roshi as the leaks say or two other Z characters that would make sense, then that will be it.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

So Maneater just came out. You play as steadily mutating shark on a one-fish quest to improve the human gene pool by eating horrible reality TV show characters. Also everything and everyone else you catch sight of. Sometimes the pesky humans will take refuge on the beach, so you jump out of the water and flop around eating gormless morons. Look, you're a shark, when you're a biological torpedo with a front-mounted chipper-shredder, everything is meat confetti, whether it knows it or not.

This is very much a B action game. I love B grade action games. The graphics are pretty good, the gore is suitably ridiculous, the controls get the job done. Just lean back, grab that controller, turn off the brain, and bite a fishing boat to death.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

I tried Terraria, but it turns out it's not my thing.

It's not enough of a roguelike for it to be a streamlined challenge on that front, and the type of exploration and discovery you do isn't enough to keep my interest. It seems to be a combination of procedurally generated levels, roguelite-inspired "descent into the depths" type of thing with some danger management, and weak-to-strong progression through equipment.

Except, as was mentioned, losing all your equipment and having to backtrack is boring, and in softcore, having to backtrack is also boring. There's probably a way to build bases where you respawn, but they should either be limited to the ground areas, or if they aren't, I have a feeling the game wouldn't have much challenge.

Too many of the game mechanics aren't easily discovered in the game itself. I see something called demonite that my current pickaxe doesn't break - what type of pickaxe do I need? Check wiki. How to grow things on dirt you built? Check wiki. And so on. If I have to check a wiki, the game doesn't feel like exploration to me.

I also tried Factorio. I appreciate it for what it does, but it seems too tedious for me. I wouldn't mind planning out different base layouts if it was feasible to do that in-game, but the combination of time limits, incoming enemies, and lack of easily accessible layout plans makes that a bit too tedious. When it'd be simpler to do the plans on grid paper, I think there's something lacking in the game. As I mentioned in a different thread, Mindustry, a much simpler game, scratches the same itch but makes the conveyor belt management etc. much more palatable to me. I'm interested to see what the genre will look like in 5-6 years, though.

I tried Poker Quest, available on Steam and online. A roguelite with "deck-building" elements, with the gimmick being that the randomness is generated by drawing cards from a normal deck of playing cards. Your hero has items, some of which work better with pairs, others with cards of the same suite, or with a flush or royal flush, etc. The items basically change which cards and card combinations are preferable, so they're your "deck-building" or "character customization".

A nice little game, but it's Early Access and still needs lots more polish.
    With care, it might become something like Dicey Dungeons, a charming roguelike with an interesting twist. It's not there yet, though.

I've tried Rimworld and a few Rimworld clones, but it looks like I'm not currently in the mood for games like this. I did enjoy Dwarf Fortress back when I played it, so I'm not sure why they don't draw me in - seems like they should.

I'm trying out Witcher 3 - interesting storytelling, but I'm not the biggest fan of action games, so I'm not as enthusiastic about it as many others seem to be.

I gave Ni no Kuni a try, but it was too simple and childish for me. The combat system is a bore and doesn't have any challenge, and I already gave the game quite some time and got the second party member.

I would like to find some game to sink my teeth in, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, exactly. Probably a turn-based RPG of some sort. Maybe Dragon Quest XI? Or Ori and the Will of the Wisps, or perhaps I should wait for Hollow Knight: Silksong.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2020-05-23 at 11:36 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    So Maneater just came out. You play as steadily mutating shark on a one-fish quest to improve the human gene pool by eating horrible reality TV show characters. Also everything and everyone else you catch sight of. Sometimes the pesky humans will take refuge on the beach, so you jump out of the water and flop around eating gormless morons. Look, you're a shark, when you're a biological torpedo with a front-mounted chipper-shredder, everything is meat confetti, whether it knows it or not.

This is very much a B action game. I love B grade action games. The graphics are pretty good, the gore is suitably ridiculous, the controls get the job done. Just lean back, grab that controller, turn off the brain, and bite a fishing boat to death.
    I respect Tripwire. Their games always make a very specific promise to users and they always keep it.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    I respect Tripwire. Their games always make a very specific promise to users and they always keep it.
    The fact that this is the same company that made Red Orchestra is sort of a mindscrew. From counting bullets in your K-98 to flopping your shark across a golf course so you can hide in the water hazard and eat people. Bit of a genre shift.

Also this might be the most cheerfully misanthropic game I've played since Saints Row.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    The fact that this is the same company that made Red Orchestra is sort of a mindscrew. From counting bullets in your K-98 to flopping your shark across a golf course so you can hide in the water hazard and eat people. Bit of a genre shift.

Also this might be the most cheerfully misanthropic game I've played since Saints Row.
    It makes more sense if you remember that last year the Killing Floor Christmas featured Gary Busy.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    I would like to find some game to sink my teeth in, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for, exactly. Probably a turn-based RPG of some sort. Maybe Dragon Quest XI? Or Ori and the Will of the Wisps, or perhaps I should wait for Hollow Knight: Silksong.
    I'm a huge fan of Divinity: Original Sin II. I've often seen it described as the closest a video game can come to D&D, and it's a lot of fun. Character generation is surprisingly in depth, combat is tactical, your build choices are very impactful, and the story is quite good, with a lot of potential side-stories. Plus you can play couch co-op if you want.
    Optimization Trophies

29. - Top - End - #119

My only real complaint with the cyclops was that it only has one docking bay. That means that if you want to move bases, it's always a four-trip journey in the slowest vehicle in the game: Go to the new base site, drop off PRAWN, go back to old base, pick up seamoth, go to new base, drop off seamoth, reequip PRAWN in cyclops.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Question Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Started Terraria on Switch yesterday.
    So many deaths just until I got a house build and basic armor...
    Next I start exploring. To my right is a desert.
    I immediately get ganked by the critters.
    So left I go. After an icefield I find... Another desert.
    Obviously I need some massive upgrades before going anywhere.
    All I find is enough iron for a sword.
    When I try it out I get murdered by a antlion out of nowhere.
    Worse, it follows me home.
    I start cursing the game and plink the thing to death.
    It drops one of its jaws. Which is a pretty decent weapon compared to what I got. Auto-swing alone makes it a upgrade even before the higher damage.
    Immediately all is forgiven.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")