New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,491 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

I think I'm starting to figure out Stellaris Warfare and why I've been sucking at it:
    normally I'm conservative with my resources and so have large stockpiles of a bunch of things just lying around. But I think what I'm supposed to do is spend them like crazy to build massive fleets and hope the stuff I have will just make more for me. I way underestimate how many ships I actually need to fight, and thus end up being weak in comparison to other empires despite how much territory I control, worse I need to anticipate and do all this ahead of time, like before war is ever declared.

like the fact that the AI cheats by having such big fleets out of nowhere is the one gripe I have with this game, because I have yet to win a war because of it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I think I'm starting to figure out Stellaris Warfare and why I've been sucking at it:
    normally I'm conservative with my resources and so have large stockpiles of a bunch of things just lying around. But I think what I'm supposed to do is spend them like crazy to build massive fleets and hope the stuff I have will just make more for me. I way underestimate how many ships I actually need to fight, and thus end up being weak in comparison to other empires despite how much territory I control, worse I need to anticipate and do all this ahead of time, like before war is ever declared.

like the fact that the AI cheats by having such big fleets out of nowhere is the one gripe I have with this game, because I have yet to win a war because of it.
    While it's changed somewhat from patch to patch, one of things about Stellaris is that you can build over your fleet capacity by a lot while facing only relatively modest resource penalties (especially if said fleet is docked around a starbase with the appropriate upgrades). That means that if you're not at close to you fleet limit then you are almost certainly outgunned by an empire of comparable size and tech level (also advancing military techs makes a fairly modest difference in Stellaris, or at least that was the case the last time I took a stab at a play through around a year ago, so even primitive empires can swarm you with weak ships).

Also, keeping your fleet big keeps other people from attacking you. At least at lower difficulties the AI is fairly non-aggressive (even for super-aggressive civ types) and even if they really hate you probably won't attack unless they actually have a favorable fleet strength compared to you. It's actually possible to avoid combat by building a fleet you can't afford to deploy, because taking them out of dock will impose a huge ongoing cost, since the AI is just keying off the overall number in front of your doomstack.

I don't believe the AI cheats with regard to fleets - except for Fallen Empires, but that's a special case - they just keep all assets in orbit around their homeworlds unless they're actually in combat, which makes them hard to see.

In terms of actual combat, the Stellaris system is basically a tactical void, fleets just crash into each other and once one side acquires any sort of numerical advantage it traps the other one into a doomy death spiral that can't be escaped until emergency hyperspace becomes available. As a result too nominally even strength fleets clashing doesn't result in mutual annihilation, it results in one fleet taking 25-50% casualties and the other being completely destroyed. To win consistently with only moderate casualties you what 2-3x the fleet strength of your opponent, and ideally more. And unless the system has changed significantly, war is all about bringing your giant stack into combat with the enemy's giant stack and smashing it, after which everything else is mostly just mop up.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Oops, looks like we've reached page 50. Gonna need a new title for the next thread!

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Life and respawn in Mario's Kingdom.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2020-11-17 at 11:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Ogre in the Playground

What Are You Playing, Part 4: Overdue at the Steam Library

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    What Are You Playing, Part 4: Overdue at the Steam Library
    The thread isn't just for Steam games, though...maybe WAYP 4: New Generation, Same Games?

[EDIT] Well, that didn't last long, just went off Hyperdimension Neptunia after maybe 3-4 hours of playing and uninstalled it. That's what usually happens with JRPGs for me, the Trails and Persona series just seem to be exceptions to the rule!

The thing that really did it for me in Neptunia was the old JRPG thing of grind, grind, grind. I've just defeated a difficult monster, then Black Heart attacks me. At the level I am my companions can barely do any damage to her and Neptune herself doesn't last long even in her Purple Heart form, so clearly I'm supposed to be much higher level to be here. What's the only way I could be significantly higher level at this point? Repetitive and pointless grinding. If I was sufficiently invested in the story and characters I could maybe get over that hump, but I'm simply not. It doesn't help that the game has plethoras of confusing and poorly explained systems that I have no idea if they could help me or not. I think that what might be what attracts me to Trails and Persona--at their core those games are quite simple and easy to understand.
    Last edited by factotum; 2020-11-17 at 02:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The thread isn't just for Steam games, though...maybe WAYP 4: New Generation, Same Games?
    In their defense, a platform-neutral pun would be considerably harder to come up with.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-11-18 at 12:36 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

How about What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Edition ?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

I'll toss in:
    What Are You Playing Part 4: That Indie You've Never Heard Of
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

What Are You Playing, Part 4: Baby Got Backlog

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What are you playing IV: Bid farewell to your past?

Plays off the tagline to FFIV, shows the old consoles are going, the ? because they are somewhat backwards compatible or you are playing them on PC.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I might add "Game of the Year" edition to that, but unless we get a strong contender, this is what I'm going with.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Eh, I can go with either of these.

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

So, I've pretty much wrapped up Hollow Knight. Good game, solid platformer throughout, wish we saw more like it (gameplay-wise, at least). Though I have to say, a lot of the endgame stuff didn't just test my skill at it, it tested my patience for tests of my skill at it. Things like the White Palace, Trial of the Fool, and the Radiance boss fight just seemed to drag on and on, past the point where it seemed like they should have been over.

I didn't quite do everything the game has, but at this point I believe all I haven't done is the final two pantheons in Godhome - and having tried the second-to-last, I don't think it's worth the aggravation at this point. Toughed through the other three despite Zote making the third a huge pain, but between the Lost Kin and the suped-up version of the first boss, that fourth is just not looking fun, and I haven't even seen the later bosses in it.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I might add "Game of the Year" edition to that, but unless we get a strong contender, this is what I'm going with.
    I second that one.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    If I may be so bold: What are you playing 4: HD Remaster Gold Collector's Edition Thread of the Year
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2020-11-20 at 12:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

I never found out what the source was for this one's part 3 line (ie the gag in the thread title); it sounds like its a reference to something somewhere, but google didn't yield anything.
    Last edited by zlefin; 2020-11-21 at 09:18 AM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    I never found out what the source was for this one's part 3 line (ie the gag in the thread title); it sounds like its a reference to something somewhere, but google didn't yield anything.
    Not sure why it was used for part 3 in particular, but it's a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_As...rd_Robert_Ford
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

It's just the third of these threads. We're now onto the fourth of them. Enumeration!
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Magnificent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II