New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Been finding that I enjoy Subnautica a whole lot more with a map and a wiki to look up where to find which resources. (Not using the Wiki for anything else, just googling "Where to find Rubies Subnautica". Because there's only so many times I can blindly spiral around the map trying to find rare gems of some kind.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #212

BlackDragon

Default Re: What Are You Playing, Part 3: The Assassination of my Wallet by the Cowardly Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Been finding that I enjoy Subnautica a whole lot more with a map and a wiki to look up where to find which resources. (Not using the Wiki for anything else, just googling "Where to find Rubies Subnautica". Because there's only so many times I can blindly spiral around the map trying to find rare gems of some kind.
    I just got into the habit of having the materials to build a scanner room base--from memory, that's a multipurpose room, a single passage, the scanner room, a hatch, and a bioreactor for power. All that fits easily into the storage of a Seamoth and you can quickly build it and see what's available in the local area, killing some fish for power if necessary. The annoying bit is getting all the blueprints required for that together, although I think the scanner room you find naturally if you're following the main story--bioreactor is more of a problem.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I just got into the habit of having the materials to build a scanner room base--from memory, that's a multipurpose room, a single passage, the scanner room, a hatch, and a bioreactor for power. All that fits easily into the storage of a Seamoth and you can quickly build it and see what's available in the local area, killing some fish for power if necessary. The annoying bit is getting all the blueprints required for that together, although I think the scanner room you find naturally if you're following the main story--bioreactor is more of a problem.
    I think the passage is built into the scanner room/multipurpose room, because I seem to recall running into that when I built one of my deeper bases.

I also usually go with the thermal reactor, but the Magnetite is irritatingly sparse.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

The best place for Magnetite is the Drill formations in the glowshroom cave.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    One of my big issues with SoM was that it was more fun when you were weak and a couple of captains was a huge danger, later in the game and fully upgraded you can be an unstoppable force of destruction... But sometimes, you'll come up against an orc who is also one of those. The sequel has difficulty settings and a bigger array of ways for orcs to counter what you can do, so it's a more satisfying challenge.

I hope I didn't sound too negative, as I like the original a lot, and since it's so short, running through it to make a Nemesis Forge with cool orcs to transfer to the sequel is very worth it. Incidentally, there's a very easy way to select which orcs in the Forge will be the ones transferred over to Shadow of War: Just keep Marking Target on the two you want until the icons move.
    I had a Nemesis like that. Invulnerable to combat, invulnerable to stealth, immune to fire. Only could be damaged by arrows, which made him brutally hard until I got enough elf-shot to reliably take him on. He ruined everything whenever he showed up, and the only reason he didn't kill me a dozen times was that he had the "you ain't worth killing" trait. This was everything the Nemesis system was promised to me as. Sadly, after I killed him five times he stayed dead, and I haven't had a Nemesis since.

I'm pretty sure I'm about to move into the second half. Only one Warchief (apart from the double agent) is still alive.

6. - Top - End - #216

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I also usually go with the thermal reactor, but the Magnetite is irritatingly sparse.
    Bioreactor is much easier to build, works anywhere that you can kill fish to feed into it (which, let's face it, is everywhere in Subnautica) and is thus a superior option, IMHO. Sure, it probably doesn't provide as much power as the thermal reactor does, but you're only powering a scanner room off it, it's not like you need a lot.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Bioreactor is much easier to build, works anywhere that you can kill fish to feed into it (which, let's face it, is everywhere in Subnautica) and is thus a superior option, IMHO. Sure, it probably doesn't provide as much power as the thermal reactor does, but you're only powering a scanner room off it, it's not like you need a lot.
    But you have to keep feeding it, where the thermals are place and forget. I have one outpost that I have a bioreactor/scanner combo in, and at the most inconvenient times possible it lead to a constant steam of base has power/base lost power messages until I finally gave up and turned the stupid scanner off.

I allow as it might be more viable if it was a main base that I spent most of my time in. Or maybe it’s the fuel; I was mostly using Lantern fruit since I could grow those inside the base and they doubled as food.

(As a side note, has anyone else almost accidentally commit suicide because they ended up eating a bunch of rotten Reginald they were trying to unload into the bioreactor? )

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Not me. I always do a stacked room with Alien Containment on the floor above that only fuels the reactor.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

9. - Top - End - #219

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    But you have to keep feeding it, where the thermals are place and forget. I have one outpost that I have a bioreactor/scanner combo in, and at the most inconvenient times possible it lead to a constant steam of base has power/base lost power messages until I finally gave up and turned the stupid scanner off.
    Remember, though, this is a *temporary* structure I put up to see if there's anything interesting in the surrounding area. If there isn't, it just gets deconstructed again--I don't build the thing and then leave it there, because once you've run a scan for a few minutes you'll see everything that there is to see in the list available in the scanner room, and most of the time there's just not anything interesting enough to bother leaving the thing there. Also, I don't leave the scanner running when I'm not actively looking for something, because that's just a waste of power whatever your power source is; plus, if you have the scanner HUD upgrade you'll get a load of annoying targets pinging on your screen.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and flirting with the idea of restarting. I have character ideas I like the idea of, some of which would be cool but very difficult to start (Sensei Monk 2/Eccelisathurge X, specc'd as a summoner. Maybe throw in the wisdom-Sorcerer and go Mystic Theurge), some of which would be fun but difficult (Mad Dog Barbarian 1/ Archaeologist 6/Dragon Disciple 10; skills, fighting and big attributes, with a pet), but still chugging along with my Archaeologist/Dragon Disciple.
    I did restart with a Dwarf Mad Dog Barbarian/Archaeologist who will go Dragon Disciple. There's a pretty steep feat tax keeping my Leopard up to snuff (since Boon Companion adds 4 levels, it's basically every other feat), but the fact that she knocks people down all the time in combat is pretty cool... later game, I was struggling to figure out which feats I wanted, so it's going to work out.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-06-13 at 11:16 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, though, this is a *temporary* structure I put up to see if there's anything interesting in the surrounding area. If there isn't, it just gets deconstructed again--I don't build the thing and then leave it there, because once you've run a scan for a few minutes you'll see everything that there is to see in the list available in the scanner room, and most of the time there's just not anything interesting enough to bother leaving the thing there. Also, I don't leave the scanner running when I'm not actively looking for something, because that's just a waste of power whatever your power source is; plus, if you have the scanner HUD upgrade you'll get a load of annoying targets pinging on your screen.
    Ah, I had placed mine solely to keep track of Reapers in the vicinity, so turning it off wasn’t an option...until I figured out they never came close enough for me to care, but that was a while.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Been doing a playthrough of Horizon: Zero Dawn on Ultra Hard and streaming it on twitch. It's been fun, if frustrating when I die in stupid ways. Next time I'm on I'll try my hand at getting to the DLC, which will surely result in me dying a lot just on entry.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been playing some Command and Conquer: Remastered recently. The QoL improvements are great (queues!), the graphics are exactly how I remembered them with rose-tinted glasses, not as they really were. And the game is refreshingly tough, I've gotten my ass handed to me in missions I didn't remember giving me pause when I played as a kid. Either my memory is going, or I'm getting slow in my old age.

Mixed feelings about giving money to the company that killed Westwood and salted the franchise. But I'm having fun, at least.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I've been playing some Command and Conquer: Remastered recently. The QoL improvements are great (queues!), the graphics are exactly how I remembered them with rose-tinted glasses, not as they really were. And the game is refreshingly tough, I've gotten my ass handed to me in missions I didn't remember giving me pause when I played as a kid. Either my memory is going, or I'm getting slow in my old age.

Mixed feelings about giving money to the company that killed Westwood and salted the franchise. But I'm having fun, at least.
    I've been playing it too, and it's a lot of fun. A lot of love went into the remaster.

I had forgotten just how unfair Tiberium Dawn is. The enemy is always at least one tech tier above you, and the game often restricts you by taking away your construction yard or otherwise limits your resources.

And the balance! A lot of units are just worthless, infantry in particular. Red Alert did a much better job of making infantry valuable, but you're still encouraged to drop infantry once you start getting vehicles. At least they're better than the infantry units from Dune 2.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    And the balance! A lot of units are just worthless, infantry in particular.
    Infantry worthless? This certainly does not match my experience. In fact I found the basic rifleman to be the most powerful unit. Once APCs come available for GDI APC with Rifleman driving into the enemy's base to take out the MainBuilding was the only tactic I used (and needed).

A group of Rifleman makes short work of any building with a frightingly fast pace.

Ot topic: I've finally settled on Ghost of a Tale and I'm really enjoying it. It just took a couple of hourse to "build up steam".
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2020-06-14 at 04:41 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

BlackDragon

The only problem I had with infantry in the Command and Conquer games (at least, the earlier ones that I've played) is that they were pants-on-head STUPID. I tell them to lie down and shoot at anything that comes, and they'll continue doing just that while an oncoming tank squishes them into paste rather than at least standing up and moving out of the way...

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Infantry worthless? This certainly does not match my experience. In fact I found the basic rifleman to be the most powerful unit. Once APCs come available for GDI APC with Rifleman driving into the enemy's base to take out the MainBuilding was the only tactic I used (and needed).

A group of Rifleman makes short work of any building with a frightingly fast pace.

Ot topic: I've finally settled on Ghost of a Tale and I'm really enjoying it. It just took a couple of hourse to "build up steam".
    Maybe it was because I was playing Nod? No APC available to ferry units, meaning Minigunners were just tank tread fodder. Flamethrowers had such short range that they would often get outranged by the Minigunners and Grenadiers they're meant to counter, and building more than a couple meant that they would blow each other up because of how suicidally stupid they are. Rocket troops were useful-ish as anti-air/anti-armor up until you got access to Recon Bikes, which did everything Rocket Troops could do while also being several times faster and unsquishable by tanks. I found the Nod Buggies to be a superior choice for dealing with enemy infantry since there was no risk of a single grenade taking out an entire formation of dudes.

I'll freely admit that I'm not an RTS master though. I assume the balance is better for pro players that can actually get 20 flamethrower dudes to attack 20 different targets while socially distancing themselves.

Also, someone at Westwood really needed to be shown what a Minigun looks like.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

And the game is refreshingly tough, I've gotten my ass handed to me in missions I didn't remember giving me pause when I played as a kid. Either my memory is going, or I'm getting slow in my old age.
    I think about that sometimes as well, and have arrived at the conclusion that "young-us"s probably thought that retrying missions a bunch of times was a normal thing.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

I've finally finished up Persona 5 Royal today.
    Spoiler: All of the spoilers.
    Show
    Wow, what to say about it at this point? The original final boss, Yalabaoth, was a pretty good fight, and I think I enjoyed that climax to the game more the second time around than the first. I feel like I could see more what they were going for thematically at the end there than I did the first time, with the group now struggling against the wishes of the masses when once they'd become caught up in seeking their approval. Though that is just a touch undercut by a big moment of the ending involving Mishima abruptly getting the public on your side and the Phantom Thieves' approval meter on his website suddenly shooting up from near zero to 100%.

Then we hit the changes for Royal, and...well, let's just say I was pretty darn happy with them, right up until literally the last post-credits scene. All of the stuff with Akechi worked out fine, I felt - it gave you the chance to use him in combat for more than the brief time you got in Sae's Palace, while not changing his character and, ultimately, preserving his ending as having died in Shido's Palace. And then for some reason, they show him walking by your train as you're leaving for home. Goddamn it, that sucks. Having one of the game's worst villains, the only one who was a literal mass murderer, walking around free in the end is a terrible addition to its ending. At the least if they intended to still be alive they could've preserved the change where he turns himself in in order to testify against Shido - he hated his guts, so that actually made sense to me. If Maruki's changes to reality weren't necessary for him to survive, I don't think they'd be necessary for him to do that.

That aside, the new content was pretty darn good. Even though I saw Maruki being the owner of that new Palace coming, that was one part meta-knowledge (they added two new characters, one of whom joins the Phantom Thieves, and the two seem to be at least somewhat tied together - gee, I wonder what the other one's for?), and one part the Palace Ruler silhouette from Yoshizawa's Awakening, despite being intended to be a generic male one, somehow reminding me of Maruki. I did not at all see the twist with Kasumi - or rather, Sumire - coming, and it made for a very interesting storyline for her and companion for Maruki's story. And Maruki made for a pretty solid final opponent: someone who's completely well-intentioned and not in the slightest malicious or trying to cause any harm, but who is just taking use his power too far for you to ever accept. It even kind of touches on what I'd once hoped Akechi would, with the reveal that Maruki himself fully agrees with your actions as the Phantom Thieves. I do wish they'd had the party dwell on that a little more and consider what they think about the implications of that, but it still helps a lot, showing that there are steps too far for them in using their powers to try and improve the world. Gameplay-wise I really liked Maruki's Palace as well, and the actual boss fight with Maruki and his Persona was really good - though the additional ones after, when his Persona evolved, were much more mediocre. I wish that last one had been a real fight with some intricacies to when you could hurt the opponent and how rather than just a few rounds you need to survive for until Futaba finishes analyzing his weakness.

So, yeah, if I head-canon out that final tease of Akechi, great addition to the game. Persona 5 will never quite have the same place in my heart as Persona 3 and 4, but it's still among the best damn games I've ever played on the whole.

And that's that. It's almost a shame I just spent so long playing P5R, actually, as we just got the surprise announcement that Persona 4 Golden has finally been released from it's Vita prison and been put on something I could actually play it on, Steam. Given its age I don't think I'd even need to worry about my PC being able to handle it. But after just finishing another Persona game, I definitely need to play something else instead, so that's going on the back-burner for later in the year, the next time I feel like playing another big RPG.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    And that's that. It's almost a shame I just spent so long playing P5R, actually, as we just got the surprise announcement that Persona 4 Golden has finally been released from it's Vita prison and been put on something I could actually play it on, Steam. Given its age I don't think I'd even need to worry about my PC being able to handle it. But after just finishing another Persona game, I definitely need to play something else instead, so that's going on the back-burner for later in the year, the next time I feel like playing another big RPG.
    Apparently it runs pretty great on just dedicated graphics, let alone any reasonable stand-alone card. I'm picking it up for my brother for christmas, by then it should be on sale.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Surprised myself and beat the daemonic Frostclaw in the Frozen Wilds DLC for Horizon: Zero Dawn without dying.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I think about that sometimes as well, and have arrived at the conclusion that "young-us"s probably thought that retrying missions a bunch of times was a normal thing.
    Games have definitely gotten a lot more hand-holdy and easier in general since we were kids. It's the reason that "actually difficult" has taken off as a genre because most games lack any source of challenge whatsoever. And that can be fine. Sometimes I enjoy my interactive movies where I can relax and turn off my brain...but sometimes I also want to be challenged.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Played demo to Brigandine 2 on Switch.
    Limited to Prince's campaign.
    All classes have more abilities, abilities can level up now, different monsters (no pixies as monsters, now just Gremlins to fill that role)

Hydra replaced with Aqua snake (about the same otherwise).
    You master a class at lv 6 instead of 5 now sadly, so harder to mix classes.
    Fighter has actual abilities now (healing), Barbarian and Lancer gets +X% counter damage up, Cavalier can lower damage by half sometimes, etc.

Now when Questing, you can choose training mission instead (increase Exp/build up skil exp) instead of searching for monsters, items, and other Knights to join party.

Only get three months in Demo so unless you attack with 2 party team, you can't move more troops over to attack more than once before Demo over (After first time, I tried again, and actually one with a 2 party team vs their 3 person, lost all my monster units though).

Might get game when it comes out.

24. - Top - End - #234

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    Apparently it runs pretty great on just dedicated graphics, let alone any reasonable stand-alone card. I'm picking it up for my brother for christmas, by then it should be on sale.
    Why are you waiting for it to go on sale? It's pretty darned cheap anyway, and let's face it here, they're not going to do more ports like this if they find they just don't sell enough to make it worthwhile, so I bought it immediately. Haven't installed it yet, still going through a monster game of Stellaris, but it's definitely on my list to play soon.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Why are you waiting for it to go on sale? It's pretty darned cheap anyway, and let's face it here, they're not going to do more ports like this if they find they just don't sell enough to make it worthwhile, so I bought it immediately. Haven't installed it yet, still going through a monster game of Stellaris, but it's definitely on my list to play soon.
    Because my brother is working on P5 Royal at the moment, don't want to overwhelm him with Persona. Personally, I've played the heck out of it when it was a Vita game. Now, they port Royal over? I'm all over that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Currently playing through NWN 2. For as mediocre as NWN 1 was, in a lot of ways NWN 2 is worse - inventory, party aggressiveness, the right-click menu is gone, the map is too big. And then there's just all the unfixed bugs after all this time. Boy I hope BG3 has a toolset and is as open to modding as NWN1 was...
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Games have definitely gotten a lot more hand-holdy and easier in general since we were kids. It's the reason that "actually difficult" has taken off as a genre because most games lack any source of challenge whatsoever. And that can be fine. Sometimes I enjoy my interactive movies where I can relax and turn off my brain...but sometimes I also want to be challenged.
    Indeed. Games have gotten significantly easier as a whole, and it's only getting worse. I really appreciate the Souls games existing, even if they're not for me, because they prove there's an audience for this stuff that's not satisfied by other games aiming at mass appeal. I've been hoping that something something similar happens with strategy games, but it doesn't seem likely when all major franchises keep moving in the opposite direction.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you tried the new* singleplayer campaigns and missions in the Age of Empires 2 Devinitive Edition release? I find them so hard even on normal difficulty that I actually feel a bit excluded from the game.

Challenge is good. But so is making difficulty settings customizable.

*by new I mean all content that was released after Age of Conquerors

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Maybe it was because I was playing Nod? No APC available to ferry units, meaning Minigunners were just tank tread fodder. Flamethrowers had such short range that they would often get outranged by the Minigunners and Grenadiers they're meant to counter, and building more than a couple meant that they would blow each other up because of how suicidally stupid they are. Rocket troops were useful-ish as anti-air/anti-armor up until you got access to Recon Bikes, which did everything Rocket Troops could do while also being several times faster and unsquishable by tanks. I found the Nod Buggies to be a superior choice for dealing with enemy infantry since there was no risk of a single grenade taking out an entire formation of dudes.
    You're correct. I was talking about the GDI campaign.
    If I recall correctly (it's been about 7-6 years that I played Tiberian Dawn) I actually used the tech-tree in the NOD missions.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2020-06-15 at 08:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm kinda torn on this, I mean, I share a similar sentiment on the "tutorials all the way to late-game" phenomena, the "on rails" shooters, the omnipresent quest markers... but in whole, even the most wide-appealing games have a "hardest" or whatever difficulty that can at least help the "easy games" part, if not the "hand holdy" part of the problem.

Also to continue being the devil's advocate, UX design has become pretty tough, especially now that the market share of gaming has skyrocketed. You have first-timer teenagers playing next to all-day-gaming teenagers next to veteran 30-somethings next to veteran 30-somethings with real life issues and a poor memory ()... the list goes on.

I personally think the solution is more difficulty customization options, but who knows?

Indeed. Games have gotten significantly easier as a whole, and it's only getting worse. I really appreciate the Souls games existing, even if they're not for me, because they prove there's an audience for this stuff that's not satisfied by other games aiming at mass appeal. I've been hoping that something something similar happens with strategy games, but it doesn't seem likely when all major franchises keep moving in the opposite direction.
    Eh. The Souls-like "genre" is now ironically riding the same popularity train that other mass appeal games rid before, though. There are more and more games being churned out with descriptors like "Dark Souls but X" and rarely anything to add. The alternative has become the mainstream, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Have you tried the new* singleplayer campaigns and missions in the Age of Empires 2 Devinitive Edition release? I find them so hard even on normal difficulty that I actually feel a bit excluded from the game.
    Yeah, they have actually cared enough to redo (and improve) the whole AI. Pretty commendable, really.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2020-06-15 at 09:03 AM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I like having games with hard options and settings at least. Another problem is that for strategy games; it tends to require good ai to make an interesting hard challenge; but doing good ai is hard. So you mostly just get piles of ai bonuses to compensate for a poor ai. The number of people who want a smart ai challenge and are willing to pay for it, are just too few to support the cost.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

30. - Top - End - #240
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    Yeah, I like having games with hard options and settings at least. Another problem is that for strategy games; it tends to require good ai to make an interesting hard challenge; but doing good ai is hard. So you mostly just get piles of ai bonuses to compensate for a poor ai. The number of people who want a smart ai challenge and are willing to pay for it, are just too few to support the cost.
    Actually creating smart AI is supposedly easier. The problem is creating AI that doesn't completely demolish the player while still challenging them.

The problem with difficulty sliders is that for a lot of games increased difficulty=numbers bloat. Making me tediously shoot a boss 500 times while they 1 shot me might be technically more difficult, but it's not in a satisfying way. Compared to something like Sekiro that's fine tuned to be difficult but satisfying when you master it, I much prefer the latter.