1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default A path to remember. (ICC)

1st
    2nd
    3rd

See the above for some setting info.

You all have, for one reason or another, accepted the offer to join this caravan as protectors until you reach Grayhaven.

You shall receive 25gp from the caravan master, upon arrival, Dugal Stonepick. dugal is a trail-hardened, humourless dwarf. He is wisened, though only about middle-aged looking for a dwarf. He has expressed that he is desperate for guards to accompany his merchants.

What you all do know, is that there have been an increased number of attacks on caravans in the recent months, one of which has gone missing entirely. it was a royal dispatch rumored to be carrying a magical treasure of some sort. We will begin just outside the city as the caravan gathers and readies to depart.
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2020-05-07 at 01:23 PM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A path to remember. (ICC)

Niobe

The young woman arrives at the caravan, lowly whistling a tune, mirroring her good mood. She first goes to the caravan master, greeting him and reporting for her duty. Then she stands, hands in her pocket, to see who else is with her on the journey, sending them a friendly smile.

Niobe is tall, with dark hair and pale rose skin. She moves gracefully, has a certain attraction, and her gaze, while friendly, is determined. She wears dark clothes with protecting parts of leather, carries a light pack over her shoulder, and a rapier on her belt.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dagnar

A man clad in chain mail approaches Dugal and introduces himself. After formalities are exchanged Dugal points over to the young lady. The man heads over to her, gives a beaming smile, and extends his hand in greeting.

"Well met ma'am. I am Dagnar Lightshield, warrior of Chauntea. Looks like we will be working together to keep this caravan safe."

Dagnar is just under average height, but fully fills the chain mail armor and wears its' bulk with ease. He has a sword at his side and a bandolier of daggers across his chest. He has green eyes, but his helmet hides any other features. A pack and shield are across his back. On the shield is the image of an rose surrounded by sheaves of grain.
    Last edited by slugboy_73; 2020-05-07 at 03:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Niobe

She returns the gesture and shakes his hand, with a firm grip. "Niobe. Yeah, not letting it vanish would be a first step, eh?" She says with a wink.

"You sound like a noble warrior?" She adds, unclear whether she addresses his tone or the clinking of the chain mail.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A young hobgoblin with a shock of black hair standing up on top of his head approaches the group. He is wearing dark traveling clothes. At his waist is a dagger with a horn or antler handle in an ornate beaded sheath and a whip coils downward over his thigh. A wand hanging by a thong from his left wrist is made of some dark wood and is decorated with several bright feathers. There are strange geometric patterns tattooed around both biceps disappearing into the shoulders of his tunic. He is openly looking everyone over as he approaches, but he speaks only to the wizened dwarf. A deep, bass rumble like the sound of a rock slide making it's way don a mountain issues forth, "Okaat Rhukan Taash reporting for duty, sir. For brevity's sake, you may address me a Rhuk. I am pleased you hired me to bring this caravan to Grayhaven safely."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfFighterGuy

"Noble warrior?! Sorry to disappoint you ma'am, but I'm just a farmers son that joined the guard and got luck..."

Dagnar's sentence drags to a halt when he see's the hobgoblin approaching the group. His first thought was combat, but his senses kicked in and he saw that nobody was acting hostile. If the foreman said he was okay, that was enough for him. Dagnar has served with several different races in his time in the guard and this would be one more.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

The twenty-five gold was already spent in Amon's mind. A ten-day of fair lodgings and a new sword to replace the one that broken in the alley when he was set upon by a pair of thugs. Perhaps it would not have, had he used Torm's magic, but in the heat of battle it had been forgotten so new to him it was. Afterward, he took to wearing over his blackened chainmail his old insignia sash which marked him as a Lieutenant of the Ironford Company in the hopes of deterring street toughs.

Amon, the weathered, middle-aged human mercenary, approached. One hand rested on the head of the warhammer in the ring at his hip as the other held the strap for the pack and dented shield across his back. A pendant bearing the symbol of a white hand swung from around his neck. He checked in with the dwarf Dugal, offering Rhuk a short, "Good morning," in the goblin tongue as he moves off to the others.

Overhearing him them, he said in his calm voice, "Just a farmer's son? Don't sell yourself short. I've found more noble warriors come from those ranks than any gilded halls. Amon Hastoré." And he pulls off his gauntlet to off them his hand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Alan

Wait! Wait for me! The voice comes from a young man sprinting through the city gates towards the caravan. As he nears the group he stops and straightens his rather fancifully coloured costume before walking calmly over to the group Oh good. You waited for me. He bows deeply to the group. Alan Longear, bard extraordinaire. At your service, my good adventurers. He's a short, slender man with a shock of blonde hair and a neat goatee. He would appear human but for the pointed ears which stick out of his blonde hair and belie his elven heritage. He unslings the lute he carries on his back and strums. Would anyone care for a rousing song to ready us for our journey?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Dugal, after greeting Niobe, goes to checking each on each of the wagons for readiness. He greets Dagnar in passing, preoccupied with his process. When Rhuk approaches, he stops momentarily, before then recognizing the hobgoblin. "Yes, yes. Good strong men to get us safely along. Join the others," Dugal says gruffly to Rhuk as he motions toward the other two.

Checking with a fancifully dressed patron on a wagon, Dugal is again interrupted by Amon. "Morning to you as well," he returns to his checking.

He makes his way to the front of the caravan, standing beside his wagon at the lead, seemingly waiting. As he watches the gate, he notices the young man making his way quickly toward them. "Ah, seems you are all here. It is high time we go. The trip will be long, and hopefully not treacherous." He mounts his wagon, then bellows, "Move out!" The wagon lurches into motion as his horse begins walking, slowly causing the others to follow suit. In all, there are eight wagons, and each manned by some manner of merchant or aristocrat.

The first day passes through without much event, giving you time to talk to each other or the caravan occupants.
    Last edited by stanleyindraven; 2020-05-08 at 07:40 AM.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfFighterGuy

Dagnar positions himself towards the middle of the caravan, walking along or riding in the 3rd or 4th wagons. He introduces himself to the people in those wagons but does his best to stay vigilant.

During breaks he strikes up conversations with his fellow guards.

Good to meet you Alan! It will be good to have a minstrel along to help keep spirits high"

Rhuk, I am sorry if I came across badly when I first saw you. I should know better than to lump people together. I didn't mean any offence.

Amon, sorry we didn't get a chance to talk much earlier. I was just a sergeant in the guard before I was pulled over into the clergy side. All those books didn't really work for me so they put me into the defenders group.

Niobe, Yes, let's do our best so that this caravan doesn't disappear
    Last edited by slugboy_73; 2020-05-08 at 02:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhuk smiles at Dagnar, showing his impressive canines, "No worries Dagnar. I've heard some ugly things about Humans, too. It took me some time as a mercenary to learn to judge people based on their actions instead of their ancestry."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon wasn't worried about a bandit attack so soon out of Mara. So after the pleasantries, he fell back to the rear of the caravan and from there he first watched for any who might be following them, for whatever reasons.

In the afternoon, Amon turned his attention to the wagons and teamsters themselves. For the rest of the day's march, he took his time walking over the entire length of the caravan looking for anything out of place, or strange. That night at camp he inventoried what he had seen and made note of any persons or things he might need to keep in mind, for the route ahead was to become much more dangerous as they approached the Tanglebrier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Amon's Investigation, Perception, and Insight are all at +3. I don't know how many rolls you're going to want over the course of the day, so I'll just throw out five and stanleyindraven can use however many they need.

(1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[20]
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[1]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Alan

Well met, Lightshield! Alan says, bowing again to Dagnar with a flourish. Indeed, a song shall surely help us merrily on our way. If you wish to hear anything in particular you need only ask! He unslings his lute once more and strums lightly at it. Sensing that his fellow guards are already focussed on the task at hand, he goes past each wagon inspecting the occupants and their belongings, looking for either a pretty face or a game of dice to help pass the time.

Spoiler: d20s if needed
    Show

Perception +2, Insight +4
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[3]
    Last edited by An Aardvark; 2020-05-10 at 07:41 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Throughout the uneventful first day, you all find the following information about those in the wagons. A hedge wizard, woman, middle aged and fairly pretty, has a wagon full of charms and potions. By any small interaction with her, she is unparalleled in power, though this seems unlikely. Another patron is a royal anatomist, so signified by the markings on his wagon and how he introduces himself. He seems to be a little under the weather and sneezes quite a bit. Most of you had already seen the man in flashy and outlandish clothes, he is a tailor with expensive wares. Riding directly behind him is a merchant of cloth, with a very heavily laden wagon, bolts of cloth just stacked to the edges.

There is another, human merchant, not flashy or especially talkative, but sells the mundane items of magic use. At the back of the caravan, is a perfumer, so noted by the strong scents coming off their wagon. Also, there is a young adult aristocrat travelling back to Grayhaven. He complains of the long journey and that he should never have gone to Mara to begin with. Aside from Dugal there is one other, a very inquisitive gnome wizard. He will talk to anyone in the party if they look like they want to have a conversation.

The day passes into dusk, then night begins to fall as the wagon master circles the caravan for the night. Food is provided and a fire started. It almost seems like this is a common spot for stopping, as a fire pit was just off the road and Dugal seemed to have been looking for it.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

15. - Top - End - #15

Niobe

Niobe was open to get to know people over the hours of the day. While she was curious to hear about the stories people had to share, and she was ready to share superficial things about herself, she did not give any deeper going information about her exact trade. So, she did not behave overly secretive, but she was also not bearing her heart on her tongue.

---

When the caravan stops, she looks around the place a bit. If I had to setup an ambush, it would be here... she thinks and approaches the others. "We shouldn't leave the caravan all at once, but is there anyone up for a small perimeter search? We could see whether there are traces of anyone dangerous in the area."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Alan

Alan spends most of the day's journey talking to the wagon owners. He starts with the hedge wizard, flirting shamelessly while also attempting to learn if she has anything interesting amongst her wares which he might be able to persuade her to part with for a reduced price. If the conversation dries up, he goes over to the gnome wizard and talks his ear off, asking him for any good stories he might have (Wizards always have good stories! Surely you would like your fine deeds immortalised in song, my friend?).

---

When the caravan stops, Alan's attention is entirely devoted to the food that has been placed in front of him. Very well, my lady Niobe, he says when she approaches the group, I shall stay here and entertain our charges, lest they wander into the wilderness on a whim. If you wish for my assistance, you need only call.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"I will join you, Niobe. You take that way and I'll take this." he says, pointing. "We will meet back here after circling the camp. Will the rest of you stay on guard here?"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Rhuk will search for tracks/signs of people or passage:
    Survival - (1d20+3)[11]
    Perception - (1d20+3)[17]

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

DwarfFighterGuy

Dagnar

I'll stay back to and keep watch near the campfire.. Dagnar stays closer to the merchants but tries to not get too close to the fire and spoil his night vision.

Spoiler: Perception +2
    Show

(1d20+2)[9]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Alan: Throughout the day, talking to the lady, you quickly surmise she is not interested in discounts and only in talking about herself. In talking with the gnome wizard, you learn his name is Findal Dinfizzal Findazzle, though his friends call him Fin. He is very inquisitive about you and the other "guards".

As those that patrol the darkness search about, they find nothing more than simple animal tracks and signs that others have come through here before.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Moving on.

The night will pass very uneventfully. Watches taken, morning comes, Dugal wakes everyone and you depart. In mid afternoon, you come to a halt. As you look ahead, you see a long, steep embankment. "Windlass Hill, we will need to pull up from there," Dugal states as he motions to the top of the hill. "Too steep for horses to pull us up on their own. We need the windlass at the top of the hill."

OOC: everyone roll athletics
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhuk looks up where the merchant is pointing. "Seems like that might be an excellent ambush spot. Bandits would know you need to use the windlass, so they hit you either on the way up, or while you are unhooking the last wagon." He looks around at the others, "Or that is what my tribe would have done. perhaps we better take a look?"

Spoiler: Athletics
    Show
    (1d20)[7]

Show

22. - Top - End - #22

DwarfFighterGuy

Dagnar

That's a good point Rhuk. Let's keep our eyes sharp as we head up

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Athletics(1d20+5)[19]
    Perception (1d20+2)[12]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

"I'll make the ascent as well as best I can," Amon said as he began the steep climb. "Though some should stay back and watch behind us because Rhuk is right. I would attack when we were so divided. When it is clear up top, we'll lower the chain."

Spoiler: ROLLS
    Show

Strength (Athletics) (1d20+5)[10]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Alan

There are better fighters than I amongst us, Alan says. Perhaps I shall accompany you, friend Rhuk and aid with the windlass. That is where I shall be most useful

Spoiler: Athletics
    Show

(1d20)[6]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Rhuk and Alan are visibly troubled in their footing as they ascend the hill, seemingly more of a struggle for them than the others. Panting and visibly strained, you all reach the top of the hill, and are able to see for miles in all directions. No ambush is visible.

WYD?
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler: Athletics Roll
    Show
    1d20+2

Niobe looks around if there is any actual windlass.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume what we do is pick up one end of the rope, and get it down to the caravan, right?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A very large, wooden structure stands at the top of the hill, about fifteen feet back from the top of the slope. It has a thick rope wound around a spool and fed through a series of pullies and attached to a hook.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri

28. - Top - End - #28

Niobe looks if there is something like a crank/winder, that can be used to release / retreat the rope.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amon

The old mercenary takes in the expanse and notes their future course along the road. "Looks clear," he says before turning to the others. He inspects the wooden contraption and offers Niobe a hand.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Intelligence (1d20+3)[13] to see if he can work out the structure's workings.
    Maybe with a +2 from Amon's proficiency in Vehicles (land) seeing as this device's purpose is to haul wagons up a hill.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There is a large handle, looks like it was made for two to use, that is made of green wood. There is a large red levered hook that is holding the gear in place. The red lever looks as though it is designed to move with each turn of the wench and has a small handle that looks as though used to hold it open, presumably to make lowering the rope easier.
    www.eldeberon.com

Yuri