Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ghostly Gaze = walk through walls?

The "ghostly gaze" eldritch invocation available to all warlocks of level 9 or higher (as found in XGTE) lets you "see through solid objects to a range of 30 feet", among other things.

Spells that target creatures (so most attacks etc.) are limited by the rule that "you must have a clear path to it, so it canít be behind total cover" (phb on spellcasting), so even while looking through a wall with ghostly gaze, you can't target a creature with a spell.

Now look at the "Misty Step" spell: it targets yourself, and teleports you "up to 30 feet to an unoccupied space that you can see." This is just one of multiple spells with similar phrasing, just as an aside.

Can a player with this teleport through walls as long as they're less than 30ft thick by using ghostly gaze and a teleportation spell?
    "Can i touch myself before talking to that guy?"
    "..."
    "I mean can i cast a touch spell on myself..."
    "It's both possible, but one would probably lead to a bad outcome."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Ghostly Gaze = walk through walls?

Correct! It's great for stealthy infiltration missions, and with Dimension Door you can bring a friend with you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Yes. You are the target. And you must have an unrestricted path to the target.
    When the party dies. It is never the DM's fault.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Although, it's really the Misty Step that's doing the heavy lifting in this combo, not the Ghostly Gaze. You could also Misty Step to the other side of a wall if you could look through a keyhole, or a crack next to the door, or the like. If you have a familiar you can get into the room, you could use that, too. Though Ghostly Gaze does let you use Misty Step in some situations where you couldn't before, and that's useful.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    óAs You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

It would be really cool if it didn't require concentration, so that you could combine it with the far step spell.
    Last edited by Corran; 2020-05-09 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    I hereby bestow upon you a magic sword, the Sword of Corran, which will henceforth be the only thing that can permanently destroy my withered undead hand and nose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah bit if a shame Ghostly Gaze got nerfed a bit, but it does work as expressed.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Although, it's really the Misty Step that's doing the heavy lifting in this combo, not the Ghostly Gaze. You could also Misty Step to the other side of a wall if you could look through a keyhole, or a crack next to the door, or the like. If you have a familiar you can get into the room, you could use that, too. Though Ghostly Gaze does let you use Misty Step in some situations where you couldn't before, and that's useful.
    You can always get your familiar into the other room by dismissing it and re-summoning it inside the room.

"As an action, you can temporarily dismiss your familiar. It disappears into a pocket dimension where it awaits your summons. Alternatively, you can dismiss it forever. As an action while it is temporarily dismissed, you can cause it to reappear in any unoccupied space within 30 feet of you."

Doesn't have to be a space you can see.
    Purple text = personal judgment which I don't expect you necessarily to share. YMMV.

Everything on the Internet is opinion but purple text is my way of highlighting that I am not interested in persuading you to share mine.