New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

"And do you believe one that has broken his oath before and reached for power will not continue to follow the same path until there are none left who can stop him?" Sister Rosalind asks before a cold chill runs down her spine as the Betrayer's voice enters her mind that is warded from all such communication unless she allowed it through. Instinctively she through up her defenses around her and her allies, not trusting the Betrayer for a moment.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Mass Death Ward (Everyone in party is immune to Death spells, Magical Death effects, Energy Drain, and Negative energy effects.

OOC I am hoping V sees it as a dog jumping when it hears a loud noise and not as a sign of attack as it would help us greatly.

Seeing as their mental link was compromised Sister Rosalind spoke openly for all to hear. "Melchizar you say you are who you are and you are performing the duty you were created for but tell me if he has the power to destroy the Mother what is to stop him from destroying you when you come and ask him to finally give up his immortality? While the deal we reached was not great in my eyes or your own it allowed you to for fill your purpose even if it took slightly longer. Serving the Betrayer will speed up the process IF he succeeds greatly, that is until he absorbs all of their powers as he has openly admitted he would and refuses to allow you to destroy him. He is not a creature of Law and Honor, but of Power, Greed, and Opportunity. When you have for filled your use he will dispose of you, even as we speak I can honestly tell you your time on this plane is almost at an end. Either the ritual will consume you or he will kill you himself if it does not as you are a threat in the end to what he will become, what you were born to destroy. There is also the chance we do battle and one of us kills you, I do not have that gift to see all outcomes and judge which one to be closer to the truth, I do know that they are the roads that you are being presented though." Sister Rosalind says looking to Gunn as if asking to wait to see if he could be reasoned with before using what they had to.

"When you finally go to rest in peace do you want to go knowing you upheld your ideals and stayed true to yourself in the end, the very reason you say you betrayed the Mother? Or do you wish to look upon the figure you have become who no longer cares about the ideals and honor they once cared so much about and instead only about the outcome? As there is always a right and wrong way of going about things Melchizar, and when we pass on it is we who have to answer for what we did. We cannot say that we were told to do it by another, as we are free beings, YOU are free to choose, just as I was when I released you from your prison in good faith." she says to him, not with anger or kindness, but simple cold truth.

Spoiler: Diplo check to turn M back to our side or at least get him to not help the Betrayer
    Show
    (1d20+36)[43]

As the Betrayer speaks directly to her after the others she simply shakes her head. "You and Melchizar were born from the Mother's loneliness and wish to create life, you were her first creations and thus flawed. She may not have always been perfect or kind, however she always did what she thought was best. Melchizar states he believes the Father to instead be a stalker who keeps sending gifts to someone who does not care for him, it is something I never considered as I have felt their blessings however I do understand where he is coming from. He has always upheld his duty, and only turned his back when he felt the Mother no longer trusted him to carry out his task. Just like any son who has spent his whole life protecting his Mother only for her to simply push him away and look to someone else to protect her. He lashed out with anger and confusion, both of which are understandable and you used and manipulated his feelings to your own dark purposes. You hated being weaker then everyone else, I bet before you gained the powers Melchizar won FOR you, that you were even weaker than he. Living always in someone elses shadow. So when he was willing to help you how quickly you tried to twist and turn your brother so that others would hate him as much as you for the Betrayal you led Vlarath." Sister Rosalind says, breaking one of the biggest Taboos of her people back on Pacem and speaking the Betrayers name. "Even now you use your brother and others to fight your battles for you, afraid of losing once again, knowing this time you wouldn't be able to escape. If you really wished for a free world you would not do such things, one who wish for freedom doesn't enslave others. They don't make their family choose as you are now, so save your pitty snake, I have seen your face already once before in the shades of the nether, trying to steal the light of others to feed themselves. You will not have my light, or your brothers!" Sister Rosalind says as her entire body explodes in golden light as the once flicker light around her intensifies to an almost blinding quality as she prepares to battle her greatest adversary ever.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn waits to see how Rosalind's speech impacts the situation, but if she seems to be failing to persuade their enemies, he will attempt one last chance at bettering the odds before battle inevitably unfolds. Donning the Helm of the Undying Prince, and consciously aware of the risks, he reaches out telepathically to Melchizar in an attempt to subjugate the being to his will. He ignores the attempt to incite discord between himself and his dwarven counterpart--and Perseus, for his part, recognizes the attempt for what it is: a feeble attempt to sow disharmony between two beings who are joined at the soul.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dominate, DC 30 before any modifiers from the Helm.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Creating weapons? That is a fancy fancy word for killer, for slaver. All for you to hide behind. At least we dont lie about who we are, or what we do. A bunch of fools, a Champion of nobody and nothing, and a demigod; all here to stand in your way. So come at us, Betrayer. You want these artifacts? Come and take them.

Theo held his sword in both hands and took a five step forward, in front of his allies. Come and take them if you can. You'll have to get through me. Come at me, Vlarath, let us see if your sword is as sharp as your tongue. I assure you, my blade is sharper.

(Theo casts Righteous Might, lets say last turn was divine power. He is now large sized and ready to take on this pretender)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Enforcing your will upon the planes and its people, killing multitudes for a cause they neither believe in or know about, for freedom?" Yara says with a shrug. "Ok then."

Further talking would be pointless. She couldn't talk down the dark god and never expected to. But now she would kill it, or at least its host.
    Show
    Initiative for when we start: (1d20)[14]

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Melchizar closes his eyes briefly at Rosalind's words. Stepping to Durhelim's side, he says softly, "I wish things
    could have been different."

But, his body angled to hide it from the possessed dwarf, he makes a slight gesture with one hand.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 30
    Show
    It is an archaic and now little used sign of blessing and greeting, specific to the followers of the Lovers.

Vlarath/Durhelim listens to your threats and challenges with a sneer of self-assured contempt on his face. As you reach the end, he takes half a step forward, arm raised to attack.

And in that moment, Melchizar swings his phantom blade Anathema and cuts the dwarf's head from his body.

"For Torae," he declares, kicking the body into the pit. There is in his voice a tone of wonder and discovery - or perhaps of rediscovery, as he comes full circle to the choice that began his rebellion and finally chooses his creator over his later master.

He turns to look at Rosalind, mouth working silently as he tries to find the words to express all that he is feeling.

Then he is gone, his body consumed in a column of viridian fire.

The severed head rises from the floor, floating by some enchantment. Its flesh is burning away in the heat of the same green fire that destroyed Melchizar, becoming transformed into the true image of Vlarath.

"Treacherous fool!"
    the rasping voice of the dark god thunders. "Your blade and I are of the same black fire. Darkness cannot destroy darkness. But I am more than I was made to be.

"Enough of this! You want me to take the artefacts? So be it."

Show
    Esorscher, since you specified you would see what Melchizar did before using the Crown, it remains unused.

Those who haven't already done so can roll initiative. Anyone who beats 23 may act immediately (i.e. After the "surprise round" where Melchizar is killed, but before Vlarath turns his wrath on you.

6. - Top - End - #276

Gunn takes advantage of his readiness for battle, opening with an emboldening of his allies and an attempt to dispel, or at least suppress, their godly opposition.

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Move to boost CL to 22, Greater Dispel Magic: Caster Level vs. DC 11+spell level (1d20+20)[40]

Belt of battle 2 charges for an extra standard action, used to Inspire Courage (+5 attack/ +5 damage)

Perseus then charges at the god, understanding this may be his final fight, and ready to die a glorious and heroic death.

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show
    Leap Attack, Power Attack, Raging, Reckless Charge, Haste, Inspire Courage:

(1d20+34)[50], (1d10+44)[52]
    (1d20+34)[47], (1d10+44)[50]
    (1d20+29)[42], (1d10+44)[53]
    (1d20+24)[34], (1d10+44)[52]
    (1d20+19)[24], (1d10+44)[54]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath regards the sudden onslaught of Gunn and Perseus with clear contempt - until the bard's spell tears into his defences, and the dwarf's axe elicits a startled cry of pain.

"What? How…?"

The flaming emerald eyes dart to the place where Melchizar breathed his last, and widen in realisation - before narrowing with intensity.

"Then I cannot afford to toy with you."

With an impossibly swift gesture and a harsh word in a long-forgotten language, the god of dark magic hurls lightning at Perseus.

Spoiler: Quickened chain lightning
    Show
    73 electricity damage to Perseus, Reflex DC 35 for half.

The crackling bolt of energy then cascades from the dwarf to the rest of you.

Spoiler: Quickened chain lightning (secondary targets)
    Show
    Everyone else takes 36 damage, Ref DC 35 half.

The hand that lashed out at Perseus sweeps to one side, four globes of fire forming in front of the dark god. The orbs surge out to strike everyone except Perseus - then explode out from the point of impact, repeatedly engulfing each of you in fire. Vlarath stands at the heart of the inferno untouched, the flames stopping short of reaching him each time.

Spoiler: Sudden maximised meteor swarm
    Show
    There are four spheres. Vlarath will try to hit each of you with one - if he does, you get no saving throw against that explosion. You still have to save against the others - and indeed against the one targeted at you, should it miss. So you each make at least three and possibly four saving throws.

Each orb deals 36 fire damage, halved on a successful DC 38 Reflex save - so a maximum potential damage of 128 each. For every successful Reflex save, damage reduces by 18.

Whether you get 3 or 4 saves depends on whether that first orb hits you, so attack rolls:

First orb: targeted at Theo, ranged touch attack 17.

Second targeted at Rosalind; RTA 27.

Third targeted at Gunn; RTA 25.

Fourth targeted at Yara; natural 20 to hit; critical confirmation RTA 28 (for an extra 36 fire damage and to double the bludgeoning damage, see below).

If you are hit you also take 12 bludgeoning damage (no save).

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Everyone except Gunn and Perseus can now act.

8. - Top - End - #278

At Vlarath's assualt, Yara through up a barrier around her allies. Temporarily blinded by the multitude of meteoric explosions, Yara emerged from the other end slightly battered but largely protected by a mix of her psionic and divine abilities.

She responds with a massed blast of mixed energies, seeking out any possible resistances Vlarath may possess before committing fully.
    Spoiler: Twinned Energy Currents
    Show

Quickened 1: (19d6+19)[74] Fire damage | Spell resist: (1d20+20)[40] (ML 19 + 1 for something I have under Yara's divine abilities)
    Quickened 2: (19d6+19)[90] Fire damage | Spell resist: (1d20+20)[26]
    Normal 1: (19d6-27)[45] Sonic damage | Spell resist: (1d20+20)[36]
    Normal 2: (19d6-27)[57] Sonic damage | Spell resist: (1d20+20)[22]

reflex 25 for each to halve

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind watches as Melchizar use the archaic sign of greeting of the Lovers and watches almost in shock as the vampire's phantom blade cuts the sneering head off of the Betrayer. She couldn't imagine all the different feelings he must be having at this moment and she simply begins to walk over to him when the emerald green flames of the Betrayer burn Melchizar the Redeemed alive. What little doubts and worries that had been eating away at her since she had been told she would have to destroy the betrayer vanished as she looked at the severed head rising from the pit. Kneeling down to pick up what was left of Melchizar she looks up and glares at the Betrayer. " You have hidden in darkness for to long hiding from the Father's pursuing light. No longer!" she declares as she begins to rise. It is at that moment her allies begin their assault upon the Betrayer and he to tries launches his own assault.

The electricity from the lighting the dark deity tried to channel strikes Sister Rosalind dead in the chest as she finishes standing, however it seems to dissipate into the ground, leaving her unscratched. "Your tricks have no power here Betrayer, you should have stayed where you were hiding." the priestess of the lovers calls out in challenge as she sees the balls of fire coming towards her. She was ready for death, but before she went she would make sure her promise to the gods of law was upheld, and Melchizar's spirit could rest. So when Yara through up her barrier the priestess of the Lover's smiled as she bowed her head. "Thank you Yara. Now let's see how much our friend her likes being reminded of what he once served." and with that Sister Rosalind begins to muter a hymn to focus herself, her body's natural glow expanding slightly to stab at the undead creature before her before she opened her eyes and began to sing.

Show
    Swift Action Assay Spell Resistance for a +10 to CL check to overcome the Betrayers SR (17 rounds remaining)
    Standard Action Heaven's Trumpet (Refluffed to her singing in the oldest form of celestial she can think of that was once used in Torae's halls) All foe's within 120ft of Rosalind must make a Fort Save DC 30 or be Paralyzed for (1d4)[2] Rounds
    Spell Resistance check for the Betrayer (1d20+27)[36]
    Spell Resistance Against Chained Charis on off chance she tries to attack us (1d20+27)[28]
    Perform check as she is singing (1d20+21)[31] (Pure fluff)
    Holy Radiance (Free Action) (1d4)[4] damage to all undead within 10ft of Sister Rosalind

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo stands watching as the fire erupts on Yara's shield. The wounding power of the Betrayer's spells was little to Theo, and Theo turned to Yara and Rosalind; Fan out, and stay alert. (Theo activates Order forged from Chaos as a swift action and gives all allies within 30 ft a free move action).

He then turned to join Perseus, and charged at his foe (War Leader's Charge, no AAOs on the charge and add 35 damage to my attack). At the last possible second, Theo disappeared, and reappeared immediately behind the Betrayer (using a Turn Undead to get another swift action, and uses it to cast Knights Move. He is now flanking with Perseus). Theo brings his weapon to bear swiftly, and attacks at the back of the Betrayer with great fury. (As a free action, Theo uses a turn undead for +4 attack and +1d10 damage)

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Power Attack for 4. I have a lot of buffs goin on, but I am hoping for a solid hit at the start. Righteous Might, Divine Power, Inspired, Charge, Flank, and RKV powers are surging through Theo. And a bit of THUNDER
    Attack: (1d20+40)[47]
    Damage: [roll]2d8+2d6+2d6+1d10+1d6+65[/roll] those die go weapon damage + holy + sneak attack stance + RKV power + electric

Theo then activates his Belt of Battle for an extra full round action, and continues his barrage into the exposed back of the Betrayer. This is not hatred, for Theo left that behind. Theo attacks wanting to bring DIVINE JUSTICE to Vlarath in the form of the Sword of Tariel, to punish him for his transgressions against Charis.

Spoiler: Full Round Action of Attacks
    Show
    Removing the Maneuver and Divine Fury from the attacks
    Attack 1: (1d20+36)[41]
    Attack 2: (1d20+31)[46]
    Attack 3: (1d20+26)[37]

Damage 1: [roll]2d8+2d6+2d6+1d6+30[/roll]
    Damage 2: [roll]2d8+2d6+2d6+1d6+30[/roll]
    Damage 3: [roll]2d8+2d6+2d6+1d6+30[/roll]
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath's defences shield him from some, but not all, of Yara's powers, both fire and sonic energy proving capable of doing him harm. The potent energies of the Sword of Tariel elicit a shriek of loathing, as every blow lands and sends pulses of holy fire through the dark entity; but he seems not to notice Rosalind's spell at all.

"Maggots all!" he roars. "I am death incarnate! How dare you stand against me!"

Show
    Gunn and Perseus have initiative, before Vlarath gets to retaliate...

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

As Theo orders them to fan out, Rosalind nods, trying to stay central to the others, but enough distance away so that the Betrayer cannot target them all at once.

Show
    Basically moving to keep as many covered with her aura as possible so they stay gaining the Magic circle against evil x2 effect as well as the no 3rd level spells or lower being able to harm us.

This is the free move action from Theo's order from Chaos

"You are not death Betrayer, and you never will be the Mother. You are a screaming infant in the dark trying to play with powers beyond your control. Not even Malture or Melchizar believed in your cause fully." Sister Rosalind says smiling to her allies, they had hurt him. And while he was able to resist her first spell to help her allies she was hoping one of her others would be able to stop him, or at least by the others some time.

13. - Top - End - #283

Gunn can not help but reflect on how far he has come, and how utterly unprepared he is to tangle with a god. Grateful for his allies, he moves closer to Rosalind, whose purpose he now perhaps finally understands. And a final understanding it may be, as he prepares mentally to perish in this moment. Stazia's face flashes before his eyes, then Garrote's, then countless other foes and adversaries, and he realizes that for all he has achieved, all he has overcome, there is none he could call a friend. Even here, shoulder to shoulder with those he is closest too, he finds himself surrounded by those he considers his allies. (And of course, Perseus, who is more an extension of himself by now.) His goals in the rearview, he realizes that if he must die so theirs will succeed, then it is as the gods have ordained; gods whom he now recognizes as not only existing, but capable of exerting their will upon him. How could he not, engaged as he is in combat against one of them? He removes a scroll from his satchel, and uses its magic to grant a long-withheld boon to his friends, and a perhaps inconsequential bane to his enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snowsong. +4 morale to CHA, attack (does not stack with Inspire Courage), +4 insight to AC, Fast Healing 1, Resistance Cold 15, +1d6 cold damage to melee attacks.

Enemies: 20% chance of spell failure for spells with a verbal component, Will save DC 27 negates

Once a novelty but now utterly predictable, Perseus blinks away with his boots, then charges back in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slashy slashy slashy slash. Leap Attack, Power Attack, Raging, Reckless Charge, Haste, Inspire Courage, Flanking with Theo, Snowsong:

(1d20+36)[47], (1d10+44)[49]+(1d6)[3] cold
    (1d20+36)[56], (1d10+44)[46]+(1d6)[3] cold
    (1d20+31)[40], (1d10+44)[48]+(1d6)[6] cold
    (1d20+26)[33], (1d10+44)[51]+(1d6)[2] cold
    (1d20+21)[25], (1d10+44)[45]+(1d6)[3] cold

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath staggers back under this onslaught, seething with mounting fury.

"Enough!"
    he roars. A blast of viridian energy erupts from his empty eye sockets, lashing out to strike at Perseus.

Spoiler: Quickened disintegrate
    Show
    Ranged touch attack, roll is 16. If its hits, deals 139 damage (can be reduced to 15 with a DC 36 Fortitide save). If Perseus is killed by this attack, he is disintegrated.

The immortal mage then utters another word, and seems to blur in a sequence of impossibly fast motions. Yara alone, possessing senses beyond the mortal, discerns what is truly happening - the manipulation of the fabric of time itself, as the dark god steals a breathing space against you.

When the temporal anomaly resolves, Vlarath is incorporeal and surrounded by a swirling storm of lightning. He seems rejuvenated, and his undying hatred focuses anew on each one of you.

Show
    Go go go!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

As Gunn's song takes effect Rosalind's natural aura of peace seems to grow more powerful. Looking over to her ally and nodding her head in thanks she turns back to the Betrayer as Perseus attacks and seems to wound him greatly. She was getting ready to ask if he could do nothing without Melchizar by his side when he seems to become incorporeal and looks as healthy as he once did. "Wait how did he do that? Did any of you see what he just did?" Rosalind asks confused at the turn of events. Tending on the side of caution for the moment she calls upon the father to grant her the ability to heal her allies in times of need after watching Perseus dodge that last attack, it was clear what the stakes were in this battle and she had to make sure her allies stayed alive for the ritual. A moment later 10 small golden darts of light appeared around the woman's head circling her constantly, her allies would hopefully recognize the spell with easy as she had used it many times before to help them.

Spoiler: Spell cast
    Show
    Darts of life, 10 darts remaining
    Assay Spell resistance has 16 rounds remaining

Holy Nimbus damage to all undead within 10ft of Rosalind (1d4)[2]

16. - Top - End - #286

"Don't think for a moment that you have saved yourself," Yara says mockingly. The words were mostly for her own comfort, she had died a few too many times to truly become overconfident in battle. Quickly her mind snapped onto a solution to the sudden increase in power Vlarath displayed. As she has done many times before, she reaches out psionicly to sever the magic from her target.

Spoiler: Twinned Dispel
    Show
    So a targeted dispel is one check per active power/spell on the target. Lets assume he has at most 5 so I'll make 10 total rolls. If there are more, then I guess the dm should make the extra rolls.
    Dispel 1:
    (1d20+20)[36]
    (1d20+20)[30]
    (1d20+20)[26]
    (1d20+20)[29]
    (1d20+20)[28]

Dispel 2:
    (1d20+20)[34]
    (1d20+20)[29]
    (1d20+20)[27]
    (1d20+20)[25]
    (1d20+20)[39]

On seeing the result, Yara follows up with up with either further dispels or karmic retribution.
    Spoiler: Variable Choice:
    Show
    If Vlarath is sufficiently dispelled, Yara will do the following:
    Spoiler: Twinned Quickened Disintegrate
    Show
    DC 21 Fortitude for both. Augmented for extra damage
    Dis 1: (38d6)[133] or (5d6)[19] on save.
    Dis 2: (38d6)[132] or (5d6)[17] on save.

Else if some dangerous looking effects remain, dispel again:
    Spoiler: Twinned Quickened Dispel
    Show

Dispel 1:
    (1d20+20)[24]
    (1d20+20)[32]
    (1d20+20)[36]
    (1d20+20)[33]
    (1d20+20)[36]

Dispel 2:
    (1d20+20)[30]
    (1d20+20)[34]
    (1d20+20)[21]
    (1d20+20)[32]
    (1d20+20)[25]

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo continues his assault on the being that dared corrupt his Goddess. Tears kept coming to the corners of his eyes; the love he had for Charis, seeing her in this state, and knowing that all that stood between him and the ritual that would cleanse the evil from her was a deity in front of him. He hacked his sword into the deity like a butcher cutting meat, not caring where on it he struck, only that Vlarath felt every bit of pain that he made Charis and her followers feel.

Spoiler
    Show
    same attack structure as before, but with 2 less because no charge :(
    (1d20+34)[52] for (2d8+30)[41] + (5d6)[22]
    (1d20+34)[43] for (2d8+30)[40] + (5d6)[14]
    (1d20+29)[49] for (2d8+30)[36] + (5d6)[10]
    (1d20+24)[26] for (2d8+30)[43] + (5d6)[16]

Friends, With me, With me! Attack this foul creation of The Mother, and send him back from whence he came! Theo shouted, and took a brief moment to look around for where Charis may be (Theo uses White Raven Tactics to move everyone right behind him in initiative. Wont do anything for Gunn/Perseus, but Rosalind and Yara will get another turn before Vlarath can go again)
    Last edited by gallagher; 2021-05-09 at 10:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath watches in horror as Yara rips away his wards, removing the ring of lightning and rendering his physical elements corporeal once more. The two disintegrating rays splash fruitlessly against his innate defences - but all except one of Theo's strikes now find their way to the dark god's body. The holy fire of the Sword of Tariel blazes ever hotter, eager to end this immortal evil.

And, for the first time in millennia, Vlarath knows fear.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

As the Betrayers defenses are stripped away and Theo's sword blazes to life striking down against the former servant of the Mother sister Rosalind sees the fear in his eyes and knows full and well why he fears the outcome that is about to take place. However if he escaped now finding him again would take far to long, and no doubt it would not be in this generation."Father, bind the Betrayer down as he has tried to bind Charis. Do not allow him to escape jutice for his crimes again." Sister Rosalind calls out. A few moments later Heavenly chains sprout out of the ground and begin wrapping around the dark god, chaining him down in place, stopping him from moving, and with luck casting anymore spells.

Spoiler: Constricting Chains
    Show
    No Save no SR, He is now entangled suffering a -2 to attacks, and -4 to dexterity. Cannot move as the chains are attached to the nearest immobile object. And now on top of the roll to cast spells from Gunn's spell, he also must pass a Concentration DC 15+SL or lose the spell. (As he is undead the nonlethal damage doesn't effect him so not even going to post it)

20. - Top - End - #290

For the final time, Perseus deploys his "teleport away and charge back in" maneuver. From here on out, he will have no way to escape combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slashy slashy slashy slash part two. Leap Attack, Power Attack, Raging, Reckless Charge, Haste, Inspire Courage, Flanking with Theo, Snowsong:

(1d20+36)[46], (1d10+44)[54]+(1d6)[2] cold
    (1d20+36)[49], (1d10+44)[50]+(1d6)[5] cold
    (1d20+31)[48], (1d10+44)[49]+(1d6)[4] cold
    (1d20+26)[45], (1d10+44)[51]+(1d6)[1] cold
    (1d20+21)[27], (1d10+44)[48]+(1d6)[2] cold

Gripping the scroll tightly, Gunn casts Displacement on himself in an effort to preserve his life just a bit longer.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath reels against this fresh assault, chains binding him in place, and the relentless blows of Perseus forcing his nebulous form to its knees.

The dark god's unnatural form makes it far from easy to judge how wounded he might be; but the corporeal parts of his form are riddled with cracks, and traces of holy flame from the Sword of Tariel flicker spontaneously over his shadow form. The sense of divine presence that had marked him seems to have dwindled down to a fraction of its previous force.

Vlarath's blazing pseudo-eyes meet Yara's, sensing she is about to manifest some new and devastating psionic power - and, driven to desperation, he acts.

Time distorts again, little more than a phantom discomfort for most of you but a clearly felt aberration to Yara. In a stolen instant of time, the Betrayer snarls a pair of incantations in a vile and ancient tongue.

Spoiler: Wail of the Banshee
    Show
    You all need to make a DC 37 Fortitude save. If you fail, you die.

Spoiler: Quickened Antimagic Ray
    Show
    Timble, ranged touch attack against Yara - 20 to hit. If that beats your touch AC, make a DC 35 Will save. Failure means you are affected as though by an antimagic field, leaving you unable to cast spells or manifest powers.
    Your equipment, however, is unaffected. The effect is measured in rounds per level, so without giving away any caster levels, let's just say it will last the rest of this combat encounter!

"You cannot hope to prevail!" Vlarath rasps as he watches his spells take effect. "I am eternal! What are you to pit yourselves against me? Nothing!"

Show
    Yara still has an action to take before what would have been Vlarath's turn but for the Greater Celerity he just cast. Vlarath will then have to miss what would have been his turn, so the rest of you can post actions after Timble (and he can post two rounds' worth).

22. - Top - End - #292

(I'm going to put both of Yara's turns chronologically after Vlarath's actions. I'm only going to be taking the one that was meant to occur before, leaving the others to act before deciding the next action as the following turn is using a concentration power)

Yara feels the wave of death magic wash over her, kept safe through her divine attributes. She was about to smirk at the dark gods uselessness until his next move struck her cold. A massive display of power that Yara new well, the ability to unravel magic. This came in a form that she had never considered, one that would separate her from her power entirely. Desperately she built up her magical defences, watching the spell break through barrier after hastily erected barrier. Closing her eyes and giving a slight whimper, she felt the ray dissipate upon her last line of defence.
    For a short time, she stood absolutely still considering what would have happened if Vlarath's spell had worked. It wouldn't have killed her, no. It would have been worse than death, to be powerless and useless.

With a slight stagger she straightened herself to weakly glare at Vlarath.
    "Nothing are we? W... what have you even done?" Yara says, still shaken. "Singed us slightly? Missed every other shot? Ju... just die already!"
    Raising an arm, she lashes out. Barely visible telekinetic tentacles erupt in the air around Vlarath, seeking to beat him down. Yara knew that they had only gotten this far through luck and chance, many of the god's attacks had been enough to kill or disable them had luck only been on his side. Better make sure that he never got the chance again.
    Spoiler: Quickend Twinned Telekinetic Maneuver, Twinned Telekinetic Maneuver
    Show
    Trying to do a bit of support this round and massively lower his AC for Theo and Perseus. I haven't used Telekeinetic Maneuver much this game beyond I think once on Feronax. So lets spam it.
    Forgot Yara got +Divine Rank to caster level checks, so +20 rather than the +19 I did when checking disintegrate

No save, only SR and Trip/Grapple checks
    Q + T Telekinetic Maneuver: Aiming to trip
    1: SR Check (1d20+20)[23] for Trip (1d20+11)[26]
    2: SR Check (1d20+20)[37] for Trip (1d20+11)[23]
    (Augmented for a +6)

T Telekinetic Maneuver: Aiming to Grapple
    1: SR Check (1d20+20)[27] for Grapple: (1d20+24)[28]
    2: SR Check (1d20+20)[27] for Grapple: (1d20+24)[43]

Between Constricting Chains and potentially grappled and/or prone, he should be much easier for Theo and Perseus to hit.

Low Caster level rolls. Going off Yara's SR, only one trip has a chance of working unless he somehow has abysmal SR.
    Last edited by Timble; 2021-05-21 at 07:44 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

As the Betrayer throws his best efforts in trying to stay alive and take out her allies Rosalind can tell he is desperate as he tries to do all he can to take them out. However his spells fall flat against their defenses as a purple bubble surrounds them all as the wail tries to find their ears. "You are simply long lived Betrayer, you were created by a true Eternal to serve her purpose and you choose not only to rebel but to try and kill her. Then when that failed you fled, tricking your brother to follow you and slay others for you as even you knew in that moment you were no match for even a lesser god. Everything you have now was handed to you by another. You earned none of the power that you have, and before this hour is up I promise you all of it shall be returned to where it belongs." Sister Rosalind says calmly as her eyes seem to change and take on a golden glow.

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Casting Celestial Aspect, using Eyes of the Firre so every round I can simply look at him and he takes 2d6 fire damage, no save, no SR (if he lasts that long vs perseus and Theo that is). I take (1d3)[1] Str damage, as it is a sacrifice (requirement of the spell) I don't believe death ward would stop it.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Vlarath, already grievously injured, reels under this new barrage of psionic power. His eldritch defences hold off most of the force directed against him; most, but not all. With a startled cry that has little of divine dignity in it, the Betrayer is knocked to the ground. Lying on his back looking up at the warriors confronting him, his unliving visage shows mounting panic.

His eyes land on Charis, so far a silent spectator in these events. "Creature! Aid me!"

The undead abomination that was once the Shield of the Righteous studies Vlarath with its feral gaze. Slowly it stands, and stalks to where Melchizar fell, movements eerily insect-like and mute. Bending, it moves as though to lift some invisible object; and a blade of the blackest void forms in its grasp.

Anathema.

It stares listlessly at the dark god at your feet - then moves the blade twice, chains of black fire peeling away from its limbs at the motion. It stretches, savouring freedom, and a smile flickers around its palid lips.

"If you were going to test your will against mine, Vlarath, you should have done it before these heroes broke you like skittish colt. You who seized divinity, who claimed to be deserving of immortality - and who would see all other gods slain to fuel your own power - now face that which you truly deserve.

"You call me 'creature' - but think now on what it is you have created. You took the living embodiment of righteous justice, tethered it within a husk of unliving flesh you thought you could enslave, and tormented it for an age with the fire of unmaking - giving it every cause to hate you and seek your destruction. Great are the conflicts within me, my would-be master. But all that I am yearns to see you cast into oblivion."

The corrupted goddess raises Anathema, its every muscle straining against some unseen force; it takes one step, as though striving against a hurricane, then another. With a final cry, it brings Anathema down with enough force to shatter mountains - striking, not Vlarath, but one of the seals built long ago to contain the "Daughter."

With a coruscation of conflicting energies, both the seal and Anathema shatter. In an ever expanding ring, the runes scribed into the walls flicker and go out; close behind that, a ripple of unbound negative energy sweeps across the room, the substance of oblivion rushing upon you like a tsunami.

At the last moment, it stops in place. The flames twitch, a motion reminiscent of a dog hearing its master's whistle. A heartbeat later it retracts, surging back to the centre; and then streaming upwards, blasting through the ceiling and into the ruins above where demon, dwarf and dead still battle.

Vlarath looked frightened before. Now, he looks on the verge of mindless terror.

The thing that was Charis meets your eyes in turn. There is madness in that gaze, a storm of conflicting desires and purposes that only by chance align to form coherent thought. Yet it nods to Theo, a flicker of recognition briefly visible.

"End him. Bring justice to the one who cast all reality into war to further his selfish ambition, who would end all life to sate his hatred of the one who created him. And know that the Mother of All stands ready to reclaim what is Hers."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

My Lady... Theo muttered with Awe. Theo's heart becomes empty of rage. Seeing Charis, Her voice speaking to him in this moment, Her command to slay the foe, he loses all anger at his enemy and is instead filled with a righteous fervor. She may be bound to rotting flesh, but Her Being was still the Sentinel whom Theo had spent his years obeying, following, and admiring.

Inspired by Her Word, Theo looked to the pathetic would-be-slayer of all, laying on the ground like a pitiful worm, and says with the firmness of a High Priest in the presence of his Deity. By Thy Command, and by my hand, it shall be done.

He reached back with his blade, a sword made for heroes, and aimed for Vlarath's neck. As Theo swung forward, the blade glowed with a white energy that burned with the sun's heat.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am not power attacking, but am using Divine Surge for an extra 8d8. This is a single attack. Fingers crossed!
    (1d20+38)[45]
    (2d8+22)[25] + (6d6)[22] + (8d8)[36]
    Last edited by gallagher; 2021-05-28 at 05:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Sword of Tariel sings in Theo's hands, blazing with holy fire as he strikes at Vlarath's shadowy form. The purifying energies of the ancient blade flood out through the dark divinity, consuming and unravelling his body as he raises the ravaged head he had possessed to shriek his terror and anguish at the ceiling - and, perhaps, at the Heavens themselves.

His form dissolves - but to Rosalind and Yara, something else is going on. As the negative energy that animated Vlarath's form falls away, it is freed to return to its source - to Torae, the Mother, Goddess of Death. When Rosalind has seen such things before, there has always been the mortal soul left behind, until it too is called to its final destination.

But Vlarath was not created by Kirest. This time, there is no mortal soul left behind.

The Betrayer is gone. Forever.

Spoiler: Experience
    Show
    17,000xp each.

Show
    Pausing there for PC reactions.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind watches with a mix of emotions. On one hand she was happy the Betrayer could cause no more harm in the world, however he was still a person, even as corrupt and vile as he was, even though he was undead, he still had thoughts, feelings and ideas. The fear in his eyes as Theo dealt the final blow proved as much. In the end it had to be done tough, so that Torae's power could be returned to her and her promise for filled. Now the false Charis would have to honor her part of the agreement made eons ago and restore the bridge to the domain of the Mother, and the final resting place of most souls who did not worship another. This in turn would alleviate the stress on Granig giving his guardians a chance to do their original purpose instead of simply guarding the souls waiting to cross over to the Mothers embrace.

"We did it Melchizar, I hope you find peace in the Mother's embrace once more." Sister Rosalind says to air itself as if her words could simply be carried onto the afterlife in such a manner, even though she knew that wasn't how it worked. Never mind for one who was destroyed by Anathema.

Looking over to the Daughter, the truest form of Charis in this time and place she bows her head in respect. "It is good to see you once more, and I have remembered what you told me. We did not allow Malture to distract us, however if we wish to truely stop him from entering this world you must be freed from your curse. Will you allow us to perform the ritual, and return the Mother's power back to her so that you can once more take on your role?" Sister Rosalind asks, after all the Daughter had been through much and undeath was a blessing and a curse. She had been locked away, unable to not only complete her purpose, but also unable to do anything the Betrayer didn't wish. It would mess with a living persons mind, never mind one who had been given undeath against their will.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Charis regards you with sadness in her eyes. She nods at the scorch marks where Melchizar was consumed.

"A tragic tale, Sister. Of duty frustrated, misdirected, and grown into obsession; of loyalty tested to breaking point, and a failure of the bonds of fealty on both sides. But, thanks to you, it was in the end a tale of redemption. Take solace in that, child of Kirest; and in the knowledge that he, of us all, was truly at peace with the inevitability of death.

"Not so the Betrayer. His end is long and richly deserved; his immortality never part of the Father's design. I do not know if he truly believed the motives he claimed - or if they were lies he told himself to justify the bitter hate he nurtured. I do know that he was responsible for immeasurable suffering across the planes. And in this, I invite you to judge the tree by its fruit."

She takes a deep, steadying breath - although her physical form has no need of such things - and shakes her head.

"I have hoarded my strength of will for generations to have these precious minutes of lucidity. I will not squander this chance. You may proceed with the ritual when you are ready - but I can hold myself together long enough to answer a few more questions first, if you wish."

She meets the eyes of each of you, lingering last and longest on Theo.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

My Lady, Theo said, averting his eyes my looking downward, as a common soldier would to a queen. You have set me on this path before I was born. This has been Your Wisdom, seen through, and I will see it through to the end. I have no doubt that this path is the correct one, or we would not be where we are now. I have no questions, I go where You direct me and I act as You desire.

Theo looks around him, seeing his allies prepare their artifacts to complete the ritual. Once everyone is in place. Theo says, We have but one enemy left to defeat before the day is ours. We must defeat Maltur. Charis, your sword is ready for you, Theo goes to one knee and offers the sword of heroes to Charis, hilt first, so that she may take it.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300

"All I want to know," said Yara, "Is what you want this ritual to do and what you intend to do after."

Show
    I think Yara was supposed to do the ritual as she has the highest spellcraft/psicraft check. As such what are the possible options when it comes to the ritual?
    Last edited by Timble; 2021-06-07 at 09:23 PM.