New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

Charis regards Theo with love and approval shining from her face.

"Well done, good and faithful servant,"
    she says softly. "Your duty has been a heavy one, but you have proven most worthy of my trust in you."

If she looked at Theo as a proud parent upon a favoured son, her attitude as she now turns to Yara is one of respect for an equal. "It is right that you should ask this, Yara; for the first lesson of immortality is to use power wisely. And the power you now hold between you is great indeed: power to unmake the gods themselves, and to rearrange the Heavens and the Hells as you think fit. It is little wonder Vlarath coveted it; nor that Maltur makes war to prevent its use; nor still that our brethren are so deeply divided on this issue.

"With Anathema destroyed, the potential to use the ritual as a weapon will soon be past; but I cannot hide from you that there is enough lingering power here to attempt so to use it.

"But let me speak of my design, my intent in bringing events to pass as they have.

"Of all the gods, I was the one most blessed - or cursed - with knowledge of the future. And so I knew that Vlarath and Maltur would unmake all that I held dear unless I chanced this most dangerous gambit: to let Valacles have his Covenant, his unholy coalition between archon and devil, until the moment that my foes would so dangerously over-extend themselves that they would be vulnerable. I knew that the gods would not permit this ritual you now hold to exist, unless there were some desperate cause to justify it. And I resolved to be that cause.

"For it is the ritual alone that tempted Vlarath to leave his defences and come into this place. It is the need to contain me that caused it to be built - a place where the power of the gods is blunted, where alone in all the multiverse he was most at risk.

"Yet so many factors had to coincide to make today possible. Had Melchizar not been redeemed, and struck a blow that robbed Vlarath of most of his stolen divinity; had Dalvar's power lain dormant, or been seized by an enemy; or had the five of you not stood together in this moment, with the power you now hold; then there could have been no victory. And so I steered what I could, judged my timing as only I might, and lifted up my Champion in the moment I had foreordained.

"And so it has come to pass. Vlarath lies dead; Maltur comes spoiling for a fight, and you are ready to meet him. You; not me. For even if you use the ritual this day, to end my slavery in this profane shell, I will yet lack even a tithe of my former power. It will take a generation, maybe more, before the Shield of the Righteous can once more stand tall among the pantheon. And the road will be hard, with great heartache for the Temple pledged to my name.

"But I could not have resolved myself to this path, Yara, had I not been graced with foreknowledge of your ascension. I know that, whatever happens to me now, the Heavens have a bright new star to light their way, a new paragon of virtue to inspire and lift up - one who knows what it is to walk the darker path, and because of that knowledge, can seek and save the lost.

"Relath and I were the Sword and Shield of the Righteous. But I would bestow upon you a new title, if you will have it: Yara, the Hope of the Fallen."

As Theo offers the Sword of Tariel, she gently lays a hand on it - not to take it up, but in blessing.

"Indeed, my sword is ready. But my blade is not a thing of metal and enchantments. My blade has been fashioned of honour and devotion; forged in the furnace of leadership and adversity; graced with the blood of angels, but foremost in embodying the virtues of humanity. Theo, my Champion, you are my sword in this dark hour; you are the one who will lead this fight, as your first-father did before you.

"Arise, Theodore Roost. There have been Champions before you; but forever more, you will be the Champion by which all others are measured."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn watches the scene unfold with a look of bewilderment. Silently he takes his position in the ritual, ready to perform what is apparently a pre-ordained duty. If this was all part of some divine plan, it calls into question his entire life of what he thought were choices he made. If he had not been orphaned, if he had not accepted Stazia's help, if he had not worked to replace her, or to seize control of crime in the city, or... and so on, ad infinitum, he would not be standing here today, and so could not assist in Charis's redemption and the restoration of the divine order. Perhaps choice was simply an illusion, or perhaps his choices had brought about this moment. If there were some scales of justice, where the good of one's life was weighed against the bad, then this moment (as the fruit of all his evil actions), might cleanse his slate. Would he do anything different from this moment further? Only time would tell.

There would be time for such ruminations later. For now, it was enough to simply observe, and prepare for their next battle with the divine.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Charis watches Gunn move to his position, a slight smile on her tortured face.

"And have you no words for this moment, Thomas Gunn - you, for whom words are your profession and your gift? Very well, then; but I would ask that you listen.

"I see that my words give you pause. And, since days of old, mortals have grappled with this fear: for if all that you do is foreordained, what then of free will?

"But I will say this, if it is a comfort to you. There is such a thing as destiny, and such a thing as choice; and many a mortal has strayed from their fate through active choice or the action of the enemy. I was privileged to see more than most, to judge what choices mortals were most likely to make and foresee what action the powers of Chaos might pursue; but my foreknowledge does not preclude the role of choice, but merely anticipates it.

"Consider: those who know you well can judge to a fine point how you will react in a given situation. Even your friends might be surprised from time to time; but that is because their knowledge of you is imperfect. After the fact, if you choose to explain yourself to them, they might say: had I but known this, I could have guessed you would do that.

"Free choice must be an expression of who you are. If it were not - if everything you are yearned for a particular outcome, but you found yourself acting towards the opposite end - you would not call yourself free. So do addicts and the afflicted strive with themselves, and feel themselves in slavery to their condition.

"So, then, to say that one who knows you perfectly could anticipate your actions infallibly does not detract from your freedom, but only recognises that free choice is the freedom to express your identity.

"Yet I must say that predicting your actions posed a particular difficulty. You are unique in all creation in being outside the influence of destiny; your motives and purposes are shrouded from the gods. For some, that is a cause for alarm; for others, an opportunity. You have seen that yourself, with those who have tried to use you for their own ends or sway you to their cause.

"I did not know whether you would be swayed to the cause to which Durhelim - even then under the influence of Vlarath - tried to recruit you. Nor could I guess whether you would be able to step beyond your worldly concerns, and the struggle for influence and wealth that defined you.

"Had you sided with Durhelim, even now the five of you would be fighting one another with the continued existence of the gods in the balance.

"Had you not formed this bond with Perseus of Clan Ironshield, and influenced him as you have, many battles would have gone differently. But it has been your less visible actions that have truly changed the world. You have spoken a word in season to princes and thieves, priestesses and magi; your subtle influence has repeatedly changed the fate of this nation, and will have far reaching consequences long into the future."

Pausing, she glances upwards at something beyond your sight, and grimaces.

"Time flees before us, it seems. The hour draws near.

"Then let me make this brief, Perseus Ironshield. You are a warrior and a scion of warriors; now, in the decisive moment of a great war that has lasted aeons, I am glad to have you fighting on our side. Whatever transpires, I shall ensure your clan knows the honour you have brought it, and the truth of what has transpired here.

"Know that, when your time on this world is done, your ancestors will receive you with all honour to join their number in guiding future generations."

It seems there is nothing more to be said. Gathering the relics, you spread out into a circle with Charis and the purified Chalice of Relath at the centre.

Gunn looks uneasy at using an unfamiliar artefact for the first time in this critical setting; but he holds forth the Sapphire Staff entrusted to him by Maya herself, and at his mental command a surge of power sweeps and fills the room. Every ongoing spell is dispelled, and every magic item except the six relics is suppressed, as the Staff hedges out anything that might interfere with the spell.

Taking a deep breath, the air tasting sharp and clean, Yara finds the ritual in the Tome of Dalvar. At first sight, the arcane formulae seem hopelessly alien to her psionic mind; but there is a subtle telepathic emanation coming from the Tome, not unlike communing with a power stone…

Abruptly the words on the page seem to snap into focus, changed from gibberish into meaningful symbols in a moment of pure epiphany. This ritual, Yara realises, is of such sophistication it reaches a point where the distinction between magic and psionics becomes meaningless; and through the power of the Tome and her own elevated consciousness, it is well within her grasp.

The energies of the ritual begin to gather, coalescing around Yara. Perseus stands ready with the Eye, ready to focus its energies on Charis…

And Yara's eye falls on the scorched stone where Melchizar fell.

The residual power of Anathema is all around you. Power enough to kill a god - and certainly Maltur is coming to face you. It is all here in the Tome: you could use the ritual to kill Maltur, to strike him down once and for all across the planes.

For that matter, you could kill them all. All the gods of evil - all the gods, if you felt so inclined.

All it would cost is Charis. For if the ritual is used in that way, it cannot be used again; the Shield of the Righteous will remain in her undead form, and in all likelihood will lose what sanity she is currently clinging to. In all likelihood, you would have to destroy her.

The power to remake reality as you see fit burns in Yara's mind, a temptation both unprecedented and close to irresistible.

Why not? Why not change the multiverse to be as it should? Indeed, is there not a responsibility inherent in holding such power to use it for the greatest good? Perhaps it would even be negligent to refuse…

And so all creation seems to hold its breath, awaiting the moment of decision.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Should I use the anathema? Yara thinks. After all, it could be for the greater good for all evil gods to go even at the expense of Charis. But the power of a god sticks around even after death, Yara was proof of that. Maybe she could bring all that energy into her, but gods seemed bound by their natures and surely so much evil energy would taint her. If people were only able to absorb one god's energy, a new evil god would be easy to deal with, but if they managed to take in all of it, or at least multiple gods, then they would be the most powerful beings below the lovers. Even without the risk of new dark gods, what would occur from the power vacuum left from the sudden upheaval? Yara intended to kill all the dark gods, but she would have to do it slowly over time.
    She looks over at Charis.
    Could I kill all the gods, good, evil and neutral, and take all the good and neutral for myself and some of the evil. That would have to balance out mostly good. No matter who took the rest, they would be much weaker then me. But I don't know if that is possible, desirable, or if I have the ability to do it. You poor thing, for if I had the gift of knowledge and prophecy I may have had to kill you.

While she had many ideas for a better future, Yara valued practical and achievable over risks. And right now the only way she knew how to make the world a better place right now was to restore Charis, not to the godhood that had been lost to her but back to whatever form of life a god fragment could have.

"I think I understand what to do. Let's begin."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Newly resolved to her path, Yara evokes the ancient power of the ritual. Magic floods the chamber, sending prickles of sensation across your skin and alternately freezing you to the core and blasting you with heat. Psionic energy cascades through your thoughts, power enough to scour away your mind or thrust you to the furthest reaches of the multiverse. The steady pressure of divine will resonates within your souls, growing in intensity until it feels like your very identity must be overwhelmed.

But Yara stands firm, weaving together the disparate forms of energy with an ease and elegance that transcends mortal limits. When it is done, the spell hangs in the air around you, reality trembling beneath it, awaiting direction.

At a glance from Yara, Perseus raises the Lens of the Mind's Eye - and the potent ritual magic bears down on him, assailing his consciousness like nothing he has ever felt. Even with the artefact to help him, it is a trial he can scarcely endure; but he is a son of Kharheim, born to hardship and immersed in honour from the instant of his birth. He can no more yield in the moment of testing than cut off his own arm. Agonisingly, with a mental exertion like none he has ever felt, he redirects the flow of magic through the Lens - and into Charis.

Now comes the moment of danger - for the flow of divine energy is now inundating an undead abomination, a creature that could become a greater threat than even Vlarath. The expression on Charis's face flickers between the beatific and the predatory, the profane and the exalted: the two sides of her corrupted nature warring to seize the power now flooding her form.

Rosalind doesn't need Yara's signal to prompt her to step forward. There is a familiarity to the divine energy now swirling around her, as the deepest part of the ritual calls to the deep within her soil. These are fundamental forces of making and unmaking, creation and destruction.

And she has worshipped those forces all her life.

No artefact is needed; Rosalind herself is the missing piece here, the fulcrum where the powers of the Father and the Mother come into balance. As naturally as breathing, she begins to draw the negative energy from Charis like poison from a wound, the dark fire of Torae responding to her call; simultaneously she calls on positive energy from Kirest to take its place. The process continues for long minutes, painstakingly restoring natural life and wholeness to a body long in thrall to undeath.

At last, Charis kneels in your midst - alive and very human in her frailty. Tears streak down her cheeks, her eyes close to despair as the weight of sin's corruption fills her once righteous soul. Like one dying of thirst, she seizes the Chalice of Relath - the Chalice that you have struggled over again and again, to win from the forces of evil both material and spiritual; the Chalice that caught Relath's tears of grief when Charis fell from grace. Lifting it to her lips, she drinks; and as she does so, the lattice of ritual magic floods into her through the vessel. Even as the Chalice redeems her tainted soul, the spark of divinity is rekindled within her.

The change is subtle but profound. Gone is the momentary frailty; instead, the woman before you is timeless in her beauty and untouchable in her grace. Standing in her presence is like the touch of a gentle summer breeze, scented with wild flowers as you bask in warmth and song. It is like the moment when a drowning man feels rock beneath his feet; like a frightened child suddenly wrapped in the arms of a loving mother. The tumult of sensations as your minds try to make sense of that which is beyond mortal understanding continues; but one thing is certain.

Charis has risen.

Her eyes sweep each of you, a depth of feeling there that encompasses love and gratitude and empathy for all that you have endured to reach this moment. At the last, she settles her eyes on Theo - and on the Sword of Tariel in his hands.

As the Champion looks upon the face of the Goddess he has served without truly knowing, he realises something profound. It is not the blade that matters in this moment, powerful though it is in its own right. In this, the Sword is a symbol. A symbol of the bond between the Heavens and mortal men; of the bonds of fealty and honour that define and edify the Templars; of the agency between a Champion and his Lady, a Priest and his Goddess.

Throughout the planes, men and women in their ignorance have offered worship to the Sentinel, to a pale shadow of the true divinity now before him. They have remembered duty, but forgotten mercy; remembered justice, but lost compassion. The reasons may have been selfless, even noble; but a lie has twisted the religion to which Theo belongs for generations.

It is time for the truth to win through.

Kneeling, Theo offers up the Sword of Tariel in an ancient gesture of allegiance. A wondering laugh on her lips, Charis touches her fingertips to the hilt.

Beneath her hand, a fourth gem blazes to sapphire light.

Across the length of the nation, Abigel Starhaven drops to her knees with her eyes wide, her spirit feeling the touch of the Shield of the Righteous for the first time. It is a scene repeated by others around the world - the faithful few who honoured the memory of who Charis was instead of the Sentinel all believed she had become.

Theo is already on his knees, but a surge of joy and a sense of restoration fills him as the whisper of Charis's presence within him grows to a roar. This is the moment for which he was born, the service to which he was called: the servant who redeemed his own mistress.

Into that perfect moment there intrudes a thunderous crash and a screech of tortured stone. The ceiling above you is ripped away, and the ominous light of the rift paints everything an eerie green. Silhouetted against that light is a vast figure, a demonic form with four faces - man, orc, gnoll and fiend - all regarding Charis with raw hate and murderous rage written large in the grimace of mouths and narrowing of eyes. In one hand, this towering creature carries a battle-axe that seems to be formed from ice; in the other, a shield of black iron with a crimson banner embossed upon it - a crimson which, on closure inspection, proves to be human blood.

Maltur, Lord of Boundless War, has arrived.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll initiative!

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

The fourth sapphire alit, warmth spreading from the palm of Theo's hand and reaching his brow... he takes a slow and calm breath and it feels like his first true breath. Theo looked up to his Goddess and it was like seeing Her for the first time. Almost paralyzed in awe, Theo catches Her eyes briefly and then averts his gaze. All too quickly, the moment is over, as a thunderous crash happens above and behind Theo.

In comes he of Boundless War, Maltur. The true enemy. Already equipped for battle, Maltur was a fearsome sight, but in the presence of Charis he would not waver, he would not doubt. The day belongs to Charis, and Theo would deliver it to Her. Theo jumped to his feet and turned to the deity; he points with his greatsword and shouts. At long last, our Foe is before us. Come, Maltur, savior your final moments and die in battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the fourth sapphire being lit enhance the sword in any way?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2021-07-08 at 08:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

As the psionic power begins to press down upon them Sister Rosalind cannot help but notice the similarity from that time that she spent seeing the past, being shielded from the Mother's full glory. Or when the gods of law and herself made a deal, a deal that on her end was now for filled. At first she was able to bear the power, however as it steadily grew Sister Rosalind came to realize just how much of their divine power the gods hide from their mortal followers as soon she simply has to focus on a single mantra she learned as a child and keep repeating it over and over in her head to stay focused.

Grow into the person you wished had saved you.

It seems like hours have gone by when at last the overbearing power seems to dissipate and as she looks up she realizes what must have happened as she steps forward and gently places a hand upon Charis as she begins to sing, using the primal words that flood her very being, of creation itself, as well as unmaking as she begins to call Charis forth by a name she cannot even fathom, all she knows is that it IS what Charis is, it is who she is, who she is supposed to be, and as she does so she takes into herself the powers of undeath, and tries to absorb Anatham so that she may be able to return it to the Mother upon her death.

Show
    Using words of creation, plus channeled through song, as thats kinda what Rosalind understands as healing, as singing is known to actually help in the healing process. And fluffing the truename bit of Words of creation, basically it is put in her head and then it is no longer there as if Charis simply needed to hear it to fully be restored to life. Hope you don't mind.

Also trying to take the black flame off the board before Malture tries to scoop it up

Sadly before there can ever truly be peace those who wish for war must always be stopped, and as the ceiling is ripped off and Malture the god of Boundless war looks down upon them Sister Rosalind sighs. "You have lost Malture, you hold no power here, your allies have failed and been defeated, and Charis has risen. No doubt even at this moment the heavenly host is pushing against whatever is left of your forces on the other side as well as the devils, go back to the Abyss where you belong." the priestess of the Lover's calls out to the demonic avatar with the powers of a god. She knew he would not see reason, just as his follower had not, but still she would offer it. After all she was tired of all this killing and fighting and simply wanted to return to the simpler times, she needed to see if the gods had kept their word and restored the bridge to Torae's realm so that all those souls could finally find rest, she needed to help restore New Ganther, and she had to somehow find a way to stop Pacem from going to war, even if it meant defying the empress. There was simply to much to do, why couldn't the wars finally be over?

8. - Top - End - #308

As Maltur bursts into the room, Yara made a point of doing nothing beyond thinking Typical... Let the other's draw his attention with their shouting. As a slight bully at heart, Yara only picked on enemies she felt she had some chance against. The god of war was still untested. Keep safe, keep quiet and find a way to kill it fast.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Each mouth splitting into bloodthirsty rictus, the titanic figure of Maltur hangs from the edge of the hole he has made and studies you for a moment.

"MORTAL FILTH," he proclaims in a voice like thunder - or rather in four such voices, each speaking a different language, the demonic face's words indescribably foul to your ears. The cacophony is almost deafening, filling the space as though you were inside a giant drum being played by a frenzied percussionist. "TOO INSIGNIFICANT EVEN TO COMPREHEND THE DEATH THAT HAS COME UPON YOU. I WILL FEAST ON YOUR MARROW AND GORGE MYSELF ON YOUR SOULS."

He does not immediately throw himself into melee, though you can see his limbs quivering with eagerness. Instead, he pauses to hurl magic at you with the ease of one born to such power - not a spell as such, for he needs no such incantations, but raw, chaotic power.

Spoiler: Feeblemind on Gunn
    Show
    Gunn needs to make a DC 24 Will save with a -4 penalty or both his Intelligence and Charisma drop to 1.

He then bounds into your midst, that terrible axe whirling through the air. He strikes at each of you once, testing your defences - but his axe shifts and changes, now freezing the air to icy crystals, then shrouded in shadow as it channels negative energy, its effects unpredictable.

Spoiler: Full attack
    Show
    Theo: 51 to hit for 22 damage + 2 Con damage (DC 37 Fortitude negates

Perseus: Critical threat, 42 to confirm, 21 damage + 16 on critical + 3 Con damage (DC 37 Fort negates)

Rosalind: 49 to hit for 12 damage.

Yara: Critical threat, 50 to confirm, 15 damage + 17 on critical + 2 negative levels (no save)

Gunn: 41 to hit, 14 damage + 2 negative levels (no save)

The dark god gives an exultant shout, licking your splattered blood from his lips, delighting in the thrill of combat. And as you meet the eyes of this foul avatar of slaughter, you feel the raw chaos of the Maw of Hell looking back at you, threatening to unhinged your minds.

Spoiler: Gaze attacks
    Show
    Each of you must make two DC 32 Will saves at the start of your turn: the first against a charm monster effect, and the second against insanity. In the second and subsequent rounds (i.e. after you know you need to), you can try to avert your gaze:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD on gaze attacks
    An opponent can avert his eyes from the creature’s face, looking at the creature’s body, watching its shadow, or tracking the creature in a reflective surface. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance of not having to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains concealment relative to the opponent. An opponent can shut his eyes, turn his back on the creature, or wear a blindfold. In these cases, the opponent does not need to make a saving throw. The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment relative to the opponent.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Maltur, Lord of Boundless War, God-King of Demons and the End of All Things: 18
    Yara: 14
    Gunn & Perseus 10
    Rosalind 9
    Theo 8

10. - Top - End - #310

(Sorry for the wait, have been having a hard time thinking what Yara should do. Not many interesting options)

Yara hurriedly considers her powers for an interesting and effective way to combat Maltur. Running through her list of powers, she remembers a technique used effectively against a fallen angel. But her divine abilities still allowed her to act. Not seeing any good options, Yara charges up a blast of fire hoping Maltur's resistance wasn't much higher than hers.
    Spoiler: Quickened Twinned Energy Current
    Show

1: (20d6+20)[103] Fire Spell | Resistance Check: (1d20+21)[32]
    2: (20d6+20)[110] Fire Spell | Resistance Check: (1d20+21)[39]
    Save DC: 24 Reflex (Made separately for 1 and 2) halves

With the boring but expected attack out of the way, Yara focuses on what she considers most vital, defence.
    Spoiler: Wall of Ectoplasm
    Show
    Prepared action for when he commits to an attack or offensive spell.
    Wall of ectoplasm in ring form. If possible it will surround the front line only to give two walls of protection to the back line. Maltur will have to waste an attack or two on the wall. Trying to protect as much as possible, favouring Yara if necessary and the attack is dangerous to her, not something like a fireball.

Each 10ft section has 50HP and hardness 5. Strength DC 25 to break. Radius up to 20ft

11. - Top - End - #311

Using all his prodigious intellect, Gunn decides the best course of action would be the one he has never taken. He draws his shortbow and fires three shots in quick succession.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snowsong

(1d20+20)[35], (1d6)[2]+(1d6)[5] cold
    (1d20+15)[17], (1d6)[2]+(1d6)[2] cold
    (1d20+10)[14], (1d6)[3]+(1d6)[3] cold

If Perseus feels fear at the premise of attacking a greater god, head on, he shows no sign of it. He charges Maltur, knowing this moment is likely his last.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snowsong (Transferred to Power Attack)

(1d20+32)[37], (1d10+53)[63]+(1d6)[5] cold
    (1d20+32)[45], (1d10+53)[58]+(1d6)[4] cold
    (1d20+32)[43], (1d10+53)[61]+(1d6)[1] cold
    (1d20+32)[45], (1d10+53)[58]+(1d6)[6] cold

AC 35
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

As Gunn pulls out a bow Sister Rosalind is caught off guard, she wasn't even aware he owned a bow, never mind knew how to use one. So when he opened fire she realized something must be wrong, quickly running through mentally what it could be, she determined it was no form of mind control as being near her would have stopped it from working. Studying the man she had come to know quite well since arriving in New Ganther she noticed a sense of maddness in his eyes and began to formulate what must have happened, and what would happen to the others if Malture directed his gaze at them once more. "Everyone, divert your gaze from Malture's eyes, he seems to have some kind of power to make people crazy, perhaps thats how he causes boundless war." she calls out to her allies as she heals Gunn of the infliction and whatever damage he had taken from the god's previous attack.

Spoiler: Maximized Heal
    Show
    162hp +44 temp hp Standard action

Her own wounds slowly began to close back up leaving almost no trace of the previous attack from the deity as she does so. When she see's Gunn's eyes begin to return to normal from the madness he was under she explains to him what must have happened as she just had to the others. For a brief moment she thinks of leaving this plane to visit the etereal, however comes to realize while there she could not help her allies in this battle, and Yara would need her help, so she instead decides to simply wait and keep her eyes diverted from Malture so that he could not affect her.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo eyed his destined foe with contempt. This god of war had done much to harm Charis, and through that all who proclaim to worship Her and live by Her Command. The conflict Maltur had started generations ago would outlive the god's demise, but the healing could not truly begin until Maltur was defeated. Theo would live to see this foul god's head torn from his body.

And Theo took a step back to stay just out of Maltur's reach, and began to pray. Lifting his greatsword in front of him in a warrior's stance, Theo muttered to his ancestors who surely watched above as Theo and Charis met Maltur on the battlefield. All who have walked before me, hear my call. Whomsoever will come in aid of Our Lady, be it now that you join with us in Holy Battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Theo 5 foot steps and casts Gate as a standard action. I will post in the OoC about this, but wanted to get a post up so White Raven Tactics can let y'all continue.

He continued to mutter in praise of his Goddess, and then finished his prayer. As always, he concluded with a warrior's stance, ready to cross weapons with any who dare approach. Friends, strike now at Maltur, hold nothing back! This is our most glorious hour, and we will emerge this day victorious against the truest evil!
    Spoiler
    Show
    White Raven Tactics, Swift Action. Go again friends.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yara's pyrokinetic blasts splash against Maltur's defences. One is stopped short; the other hisses against his frost-rimed body, dealing minor damage as the supreme warrior twists away from its force.

Perseus then leaps forward, even as Gunn's arrows fly towards Yara. That strange behaviour hardly registers, so focused is he on his enemy. Maltur spots him on the approach, axe lashing out in a devastating counter-strike…

...But both are drawn up short as a wall of translucent ectoplasm springs into being between them.

Show
    So Perseus's movement triggers an Attack of Opportunity, but the AoO triggers Yara's readied action. Neither Maltur nor Perseus land blows, and there is now a wall between melee characters and Maltur.

Timble, your options are a hemisphere (effectively, you contain the melee characters and leave Maltur free to go around or over to the casters) or one flat vertical plane. I'm assuming therefore the latter.

Show
    Thanks to White Raven Tactics, everyone except Theo now acts again.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalind having just faced the power of a god before already knew that if Malture was allowed to strike them with his full power the dark god of war would more than likely cut through them all quickly. Watching as Yara throws up a barrier protecting Perseus from Malture's attack she realizes her time to help was now. And as Theo calls for a coordinated response to buy him time to call an ally from the outer planes she begins to channel the power of the Mother, pulling from thin air a beam of moonlight that seems to crackle with negative energy meant to sap the strength of the living. She could only hope that it breached the dark gods resistances to hinder him.

Spoiler: Moon bolt
    Show
    Rolls made in OOC
    Spell Resistance check 30
    12 Str damage or Fort DC 26 for half

16. - Top - End - #316

Yara quickly throws up a barrier to defend Perseus, but realises her mistake. Maltur hadn't fully committed to the blow, he wasn't going to be easy to disrupt.
    She drops the field to allow Perseus through, but quickly summons in some support for him. Two shapeless mounds form behind Maltur, barbed trunks swaying low to the ground. With a roar of psionic energy, the constructs sweep the ground beneath Maltur.

Spoiler: Quickened Twinned Astral Construct
    Show
    Trip, Improved Natural Attack, Muscle, Extra Attack, Smite, Rend
    Con 1: (19d10+40)[147] HP
    Con 2: (19d10+40)[136] HP

Con 1:
    Smite on first attack to +19 Damage
    Free trip attempt on hit
    1: (1d20+30)[32] for (3d6+37)[52]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[37]
    2: (1d20+30)[33] for (3d6+18)[31]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[32]
    3: (1d20+30)[33] for (3d6+18)[33]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[30]
    If 2 attacks hit, Rend for (2d6+27)[30]

Con 2:
    Smite on first attack to +19 Damage
    Free trip attempt on hit
    1: (1d20+30)[36] for (3d6+37)[46]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[27]
    2: (1d20+30)[38] for (3d6+18)[30]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[19]
    3: (1d20+30)[34] for (3d6+18)[33]
    Trip STR check (1d20+18)[20]
    If 2 attacks hit, Rend for (2d6+27)[33]

17. - Top - End - #317

Gunn, for his part, casts Haste on the party.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2021-08-09 at 08:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318

Perseus uses a charge of his belt of battle to move away from Maltur, then charges back in.

Spoiler
    Show
    Snowsong (Transferred to Power Attack), Haste

(1d20+33)[39], (1d10+53)[58]+(1d6)[2]
    (1d20+33)[47], (1d10+53)[54]+(1d6)[3]
    (1d20+28)[36], (1d10+53)[63]+(1d6)[6]
    (1d20+23)[27], (1d10+53)[56]+(1d6)[1]
    (1d20+18)[19], (1d10+53)[55]+(1d6)[4]

AC 36

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As the barrier falls, Rosalind sends a bolt of silver light at Maltur; a bolt that explodes ineffectually into a hail of multicoloured sparks before reaching its target, thwarted by the dark god's supernatural defences.

Two creatures from Yara's nightmares arise behind Maltur, lashing their many tentacles at him in an attempt to bind him in place; but none of their blows can find purchase upon his frozen armour.

Perseus darts back and charges in again, determined to get a damaging strike in before the battle is done. He makes no effort to shut or avert his eyes, focusing on his target; and as a result, he locks gazes with Maltur for a fateful second. Fortunately he remains within the protective aura of Theo's Sword; the mental influence of the dark god finds no sway on his mind, and he delivers a series of strikes - one of which bites into flesh, drawing immortal blood.

Maltur regards him with ancient rage, then smiles suddenly.

"Your moment will come, dwarf. But first things first."

The foul creature's remaining faces survey the field. The demonic aspect speaks a word of profane invocation, and a portal of blood and bone appears on the opposite side of the chamber, behind the casters. From that foul gateway emerges a demon of familiar and terrible aspect, with flaming sword and whip a scorching contrast to Maltur's ice: a balor.

The orc face focuses on Rosalind, leering cruelly.

"How many times have you saved them, lapdog of the Whores? How often have your spells proven the decisive factor?"

He steps around the fighters, contemptuous of their skill as he stalks towards the healer.

Show
    Theo, Perseus, and Yara's constructs get an Attack of Opportunity.

Raising his axe high, eyes flaring wide with bloodlust, the Lord of Boundless War sneers at Rosalind as the blade descends upon her flesh.

"Physician… heal thyself!"

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Assuming Rosalind would have kept back far enough that Maltur would need both of his move actions to reach her, so no full attack this round.

So one blow with that axe. 40 to hit. 18 damage, plus 5 points of constitution damage unless she makes a DC 37 Fortitude save. Note: this constitution damage cannot be magically healed.

Show
    With White Raven Tactics in play from last round, we now have:

Theo

Everyone else!
    Last edited by ilinares; 2021-08-10 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Formatting

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Rosalind watches the scene unfold around her she debates on what to do, doubly so when a portal opens up not far behind her made of blood and bone and a rather large demon with red skin, a whip and flaming sword step out. They still had the numbers, but for how long. Looking inward at her remaining spells she freezes in place as she notices Malture's words and sees his lower frame charging at her, she could do little to stop his attack, and had to do a lot of guessing on where he would swing his axe out of fear of looking into his eyes. Thankfully she had been blessed by the Lovers that day as her divine aura seemed to flare up into a blinding white light. It was at that moment she knew that she had been spared by them, and so calling into being a hammer of pure light she sent it flying at the hopefully still blinded Malture before retreating away from the dark god and the ally he had called forth to this realm, making sure to keep Yara and Gunn within her aura.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Malture is the target of Sister Rosalind's Mobility feat this turn so she gains a +4 to her AC vs AoO bringing her AC up to 40 (44 if you include the -4 enemies suffer for trying to attack her)

Hammer of Righteousness always hits so For DC 25 for half damage (18d8)[73] Caster level Check vs SR (1d20+18)[29]

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo stepped up to fight next to his friends. His heavenly ally would appear soon enough, but his foe was right in front of him. Maltur MUST die.

My blade craves your blood, Maltur. Come sate it's thirst.

At the last moment, Theo clicked his heels together and disappeared, only to reappear on the other side of his enemy, flanking with Perseus.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full attack. Hasted so I have an extra ttack.

(1d20+42)[55] for (7d6+11)[44]
    (1d20+42)[53] for (7d6+11)[29]
    (1d20+37)[40] for (7d6+11)[34]
    (1d20+32)[49] for (7d6+11)[37]
    (1d20+27)[47] for (7d6+11)[45]

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Divine blood flies as each of Theo's deft strikes finds its mark, the blazing Sword of Tariel singing in his hands. Maltur gives a startled grunt, turning one face with widening eyes to look at the Champion of Charis.

"That sword… You think yourself worthy to wield your ancestor's blade? You, the angry child who was banished from your Order? The unwitting pawn of a goddess who didn't even have the dignity to stay dead when I killed her?"

"He is worthy."

Maltur's bestial visage looks towards the speaker. Radiant in his holiness, the archangel Tariel finishes stepping through the gateway Theo created, his expression one of steel and fire.

"Worthy of my blood in his veins. Worthy of the Sword I bequeathed him. Worthy of the trust placed in him of old. He is the priest who redeemed his goddess; the Champion who stands firm before even you.

"Look around you, Maltur. A saint, a neonate goddess, a Runelord, the Fatebreaker, and my scion. I could never best you; but they will.

"All I need do is even the playing field."

So saying, he produces a two-handed sword of celestial craftsmanship - less impressive than the one Theo holds, but well tested in battle - and interposes himself between the balor and the rest of you, heavenly steel clashing with hellish flame.

23. - Top - End - #323

Yara uses the appearance of the angel as a distraction to send her constructs hurtling into the dark god. The more shouty people the better, keep Maltur focused elsewhere. Of course, Yara felt she was beneath notice, she had very little options to use vs a fellow god and the others were much more effective. All she could do was protect them.

Spoiler: Constructs:
    Show

Both charging at Maltur as I presume a 5ft step won't bring them into reach (Huge), would do a full attack if possible.

1: (1d20+32)[51] for (3d6+18)[28]
    -Trip STR (1d20+18)[25]

2: (1d20+32)[36] for (3d6+18)[31]
    -Trip STR (1d20+18)[24]

Yara decides that she can't effectively damage Maltur, instead she must delay and distract him. She begins to shape ectoplasm in the air around Maltur, but instead of forming a construct she forms a vague cloud. Indistinct, toothed tentacles tear at Maltur's faces, seeking to blind the god.
    Spoiler: Quickened Twinned Ectoplasmic Shambler
    Show

Twinned, each deals 10 damage so 20 total.
    Those within have their vision limited to 5ft
    Casters within must pass 15+Spell Level concentration.
    Made up of 10 10ft cubes shaped to cover Maltur, the remaining spots should just be placed out of the way, e.g. straight back in a line from Maltur away from us.
    Can move 10ft per turn, so I guess say how far Maltur moves from it if relevant.

With that minor attempt, Yara prepares to defend her friends.
    Spoiler: Wall of Ectoplasm
    Show
    Prepared Action to form a bubble on Maltur during his turn once he targets Yara or an ally.
    Each 10ft section has 50HP and hardness 5. Strength DC 25 to break. Radius up to 20ft

24. - Top - End - #324

If I never see another outsider again, it will be too soon, Gunn thinks to himself. He attempts to banish the Balor, hoping that rather than even the odds, the archangel can tilt them in their favor.

Spoiler: Banishment
    Show
    CL check: (1d20+20)[24], 40 HD of creatures, Will DC 29

Perseus does what he can, little more than an ant nipping at the heels of an elephant.

Spoiler
    Show
    No charge :(, Snowsong, Haste.

(1d20+41)[44], (1d10+25)[34]+(1d6)[1] cold
    (1d20+41)[42], (1d10+25)[30]+(1d6)[1] cold
    (1d20+36)[42], (1d10+25)[30]+(1d6)[4] cold
    (1d20+31)[39], (1d10+25)[31]+(1d6)[6] cold
    (1d20+26)[28], (1d10+25)[34]+(1d6)[2] cold

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gaze
    Show
    Guys, please remember to roll your saves against Maltur's gaze attacks (at least the DC 32 save versus insanity, I get you're all shielded against charm monster) or roll your miss chance if you're closing your eyes. Your actions stand for the round just gone but please roll twice next time if you didn't last time.

His efforts to strike down your healer stymied, and distracted by the arrival of Tariel, Maltur fails to notice an ephemeral tentacle winding around his leg. With a sudden jerk, the astral construct sends the deity tumbling to the ground.

Crying out with wordless indignation, Maltur swats ineffectually at the ectoplasm now shrouding his vision - and, lying prone for precious seconds, he is an easy target for Perseus. The dwarf's axe is ablaze with the mysterious runes of his people, piercing even this god's defences as he opens four gaping wounds in the fiend's flesh.

An ant against an elephant? No. A wolf in his pack. Victory may still be in doubt - but it is not beyond reach.

Gunn pitches his will against that of the balor. The demon shakes his head, giving a bestial snort, and struggles free of the bard's magic this time; but with Tariel still holding it at bay, it has no opportunity for reprisal.

Maltur surges to his feet with a roar.

Show
    In so doing he triggers an Attack of Opportunity from Theo, Rosalind and Perseus.

His writhing, frozen axe whistles through the air towards Rosalind - and strikes a hastily interposed wall of ectoplasm. The barrier quivers and cracks, but holds.

Caged, blinded, and harried, the Lord of Boundless War changes tactics - and teleports out. Her eyes shut tight against his gaze, Yara feels the rush of displaced air at her back, experiences the creeping chill of his presence and smells the sharp, metallic odour of blood.

"Congratulations, little sister,"
    he drawls in her ear. "You have my attention. Let us see if you survive it."

Show
    Maltur is immediately behind Yara, 15' from Theo and Perseus. Rosalind now on the far side of Yara's wall. Not sure where Gunn is, I've assumed not next to Yara!

26. - Top - End - #326

Stay calm. Stay calm. Don't let him see your fear. Make HIM afraid. Stay calm.
    Repeating those thoughts Yara whirls around to face Maltur, immune to his gaze as a fellow deity.
    "I welcome your attention brother but you are mistaken. Can you survive mine?"
    She lashes out with her hand, rapidly turning her entire arm into a hungry, black void capable of sucking the essence from a god.
    Spoiler: Quickened, Twinned Assimilate
    Show

Attack: (1d20+20)[35] vs Touch AC
    I think roll once for twinned but just in case: (1d20+20)[24]

1: Spell Resist Check: (1d20+21)[35]
    (20d6)[69] damage, Fort 24 halves

2: Spell Resist Check: (1d20+21)[22]
    (20d6)[59] damage, Fort 24 halves

Yara will gain half the damage as Temp HP. As he will likely save and survive, 1/4 of the highest of the two rolls.

More to surprise him and ward him off than actually do anything, Yara turns to more important actions.
    Spoiler: Mind Blank
    Show
    Looking at the saves, Mind Blank on Perseus. Autopass the manifest defensively.

With a slight wave to Maltur she stepped back and vanished, appearing nearby where her aura could protect her friends but out of reach.
    Show
    Augment Dimension Door as a move action, appearing at least 10ft out from Maltur's reach so he can't 5ft step. Manifested defensively autopassing.

Scant seconds after she vanished her construct bursts through where she had once been and swings it's spiked trunk straight at Maltur's knee caps. Yara wasn't going to let him keep his feet for long.
    Spoiler: Construct 1
    Show
    Charges Maltur
    (1d20+32)[40] for (3d6+18)[30]
    Trip STR (1d20+26)[30]

Her other construct however was directed against the new threat of the balor. She couldn't leave Tariel to face it alone.
    Spoiler: Construct 2
    Show
    Charge at balor
    (1d20+32)[45] for (3d6+18)[30]
    Trip STR (1d20+26)[44]

The ectoplasmic shambler, no longer in a viable position, was just instructed to hug the walls and stay out of the way.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The sudden assault takes Maltur by surprise. His arcane defences ward off some of the damage, his innate fortitude shrugging off still more; but Yara feels a surge of strength and viciousness as the essence of another god flows into her.

Show
    Maltur takes 34 damage, Timble.

He barely has time to utter a profanity before the astral construct again knocks him to the ground, vulnerable once more.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Malture's axe coming for her once more as she tries to escape the priestess of the Lover's prepares to dodge out of the way when a wall of ectoplasam appears before her, blocking the attack. "Thank you Yara." the priestess of the Lovers calls out, unable to see her friends or what is going on at this moment. Instead of standing in place like a fool waiting for Malture to break free from his hastily constructed prison she begins running around the barrier hoping that the mild break in visual contact would be enough for him to be confused when he comes crashing out of his cage in anger.

Show
    Double move action to move around the big globe of ectoplasam

As she begins to clear the other side of the globe, just barely in view of where Yara and Gunn once were she notices Malture engaging her friend. And while she wishes she could help from so far away she knows she can do very little, and instead focuses her mind onto Malture's weapon, trying to project her will against it so that it cannot harm her friends.

Show
    Fluff for my Alter Fortune spell should he score a crit against anyone.

29. - Top - End - #329

As Maltur stands, Perseus takes advantage of the opportunity and attempts to wound the divine creature with his axe. Then, as the God of War moving himself away from Perseus, the dwarf barbarian is able to charge in once more. He has no need to avert his gaze, protected as he is by Yara's Mind Blank.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO:

(1d20+41)[53], (1d10+25)[33]+(1d6)[3] cold

Charge:

(1d20+33)[50], (1d10+53)[60]+(1d6)[5] cold
    (1d20+33)[39], (1d10+53)[61]+(1d6)[3] cold
    (1d20+28)[33], (1d10+53)[58]+(1d6)[4] cold
    (1d20+23)[26], (1d10+53)[55]+(1d6)[2] cold
    (1d20+18)[20], (1d10+53)[59]+(1d6)[4] cold

AC 36

Persistent as always, Gunn once again attempts to banish the Balor.

Spoiler
    Show
    CL check: (1d20+20)[37], 40 HD of creatures, Will DC 29

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo sees Maltur flee to attack his ally, and Theo gives chase. He must avert his eyes, lest the enemy overwhelm Theo with his powerful gaze attack. As part of his charge, Theo recalls a maneuver - Foehammer - that will help eat through Maltur's defenses.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+42)[56] for (9d6+11)[37] which overcomes DR.
    50% miss, I want odds to hit evens to miss - (1d100)[19]

Your fight is with me, fiend. You did say you were coming form me, is that not still so? Or are you afraid of my might?
    Spoiler
    Show