New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Pax Viginti Team 1 IC [5E]

Long ago on a world called Daesic, there was a great war of mages. The fae of the south set their enchantments against the shadowkin necromancers of Blackreach, and in the human lands a Council of Mages led by the wizard Myrddin aided the Sun King in his conquest of the continent of Solus. Beings of great power, twenty times the capacity of mortal men, bestrode the land. Continents sank. Men became giants. Planes transformed. Gods ascended.

And afterwards, the heroes looked down at what they wrought and wondered if it had been worth it.

At the end of the Heroic Age of Daesic, a great piece of the Western Continent was torn away and set in the sky; one last catastrophe of the mages, to promise there would be no more. And the great powers withdrew from the world--to other planes, to other worlds, or to the city in the sky. The City of Lights. Thereafter, when power began to wax in heroes and villains of the mortal world, they were extended a quiet invitation, a promise and a threat. To leave the world in peace, and live among their equals. Or have their peers--all of them, innumerable--turn against them. This was the Pax Viginti, and Daesic was neither the first nor the last place where it arose.

These were the laws of the Pax Viginti:

1. There must be a law, even for us. Especially for us.
    2. Let us all among us decide the law, and all among us enforce it.
    3. Here among our wealth let none hunger or suffer.
    4. Let none rule another except by mutual consent.
    5. In the world beyond we will not raise our hand except by mutual agreement.

These laws, a compromise between Law and Chaos and Good and Evil, were simple. Of course, all things are simple in their conception; it's the execution that makes a mess, as the hangman said to the midwife.

The Pax Viginti allowed for--required--the creation of a paradise, a republic fueled by magic and beyond hunger and disease. The republic required a governing body, a latter-day Council of Mages. Not everyone wanted to concern themselves with these matters, and a system of proxies and vote delegation developed. And as the worlds with similar pacts united, a Council of Councils emerged.

Interventions remained rare, because of self-interest and compromise and the complexity of the world outside. If Myrddin wants to solve a famine in Solus, he must convince not only those who don't care about starving peasants, he must also convince the partisans of other continents that this will not give Solus a conqueror's edge in centuries to come. If there was much good the Council could have done that came to nothing but bickering and bureaucratic maneuvering, there was much evil the Death Lords and Enchanters and Khans were restrained from by the same mechanisms.

But interventions did happen, and not everyone was ready to hang up their staves and warhammers and settle in to parliamentary tricks or artisanal spellwork. If individuals were recruited when their power first grew threatening, they still had far to go to match the greatest of the Council, and some were ambitious. Some believed in the Pax and wanted to serve. And some were simply bored.

The Adventurer Corps arose. Recruited from across the worlds and serving the Council of Councils, they were made up of the waxing powerful from across the astral sea, thrown together and mentored by those who still took more interest in the world aside; a rough and ready lot, not yet absorbed into the separate culture of the Pax. A multiversal diversity, with headquarters and strongholds across the worlds of the Pax Viginti.

This one is in the City of Lights.

Wizards love their towers, and the City of Lights is full of them. Brooding gothic ones, silvery needles, twining organic ones, impossible fragile white crystalline spires. But sometimes for practical reasons you do need just a lot of flat space, and for that reason the Council built the Crossroads, a football-field sized square, tiled edge to edge with teleportation circles.

From moonfall to moonrise the sky of the City is nothing less than the foreshortened plane of the world below; the three great continents with their shining cities; the vast Cataract of Steam where the endless oceans pour over the edge of the world; the green gem of the Feywild and the gradually darkening ice as the snows of Blackreach give way to the Shadowfell. There’s a moment every night, they say, when you could leap from the highest tower in the City to the highest mountaintop of the Touchsky Peaks.

All this to say--this conference room has a hell of a view.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-07-10 at 11:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Pax Viginti Team 1 IC [5E]

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    AC: 18 HP: 75/75 Ward 26/26
    PP: 14 PInv: 18 PIns: 10
    Conditions: none

Raven leaves his room and peaks into the hall. He takes both the now empty Tomb of Clear Thought and the Manual of Quickness of Action with him. As he leaves, he looks both ways to make sure no one is out to get him. He's been here a week and everyone has been nice to him. No one has threatened him or tried to hurt him. But he's sure that someone is just biding their time. He holds his shield close and keeps his other hand ready to draw his wand, some components, or even his dagger if needed. As he walks, he almost continuously mutters spells to keep himself protected. Guidance to help him detect any threats, minor illusion to make sounds to hide his movements, and of course nondetection so no one can read his mind. In the past, he had foiled several attempts to infiltrate his mind and find out what he knows about the conspiracy. He wasn't about to slip up now.

Every time he turns a corner or opens a door, it is the same routine. Let the spider look around the corner first. Then glance around the corner himself, look both ways, and then move quickly to the next safe area. He arrives at the conference room early as planned. He wasn't about to let someone get set up here early to ambush him.

When he gets there, the conference room is the grandest thing he had ever seen. He thought he had seen splendor in Sigil, but that was a dark and dirty place compared to here. It takes his breath away for a second, but he recovers. He has no time to admire the scenery. He sits at the far end of the table, looking not out the window, but towards the door so he can see anyone who might come to attack him.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-11 at 06:54 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Chimera

Jeevok follows the elven person who came to ask him. He is getting tired of being in that room, to be fair. He wonders what kind of people he will be teamed up with. Hopefully they don't have the same opinion of goblins some of the people from his homeworld used to have (and many still do).

He arrives at the conference room. Other than the magnificent view, he sees a gnome in the corner. Gnomes are a race that weren't involved in the conflict back at his world, preferring to mind their own business in their caves, so Jeevok hasn't met a lot of them. This one seems way more afraid of the situation than the goblin himself is, though. He waves his hand to greet him, then decides to leave the poor guy alone and turns to the windows to admire the view more.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2021-07-10 at 01:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    PP: 14 PInv: 18 PIns: 10

Raven sees the goblin after and the room and is relieved. Coming form a world of demons, devils, and gods, goblins never had much ambition beyond their own fortune. As far as Raven was concerned, they weren't ones to manipulate others into destroying the cosmos. Sure, some were selfish or cruel, just like other races, but they weren't plotters. Plus this goblin appears to be dressed in armor and carrying weapons. Raven doesn't see any wands, amulets, or component pouches so that sets him a little more at ease. He walks over to greet the new arrival, never taking his eyes off the door for more than a few seconds.

"Raven. Raven Rune Attic from Sigil. Been here almost two weeks now. It's nice to meet someone who doesn't tower over me for a change. Where are you from?"

He's a little disappointed that the goblin doesn't seem impressed when he mentions Sigil.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-10 at 01:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

My name is Jeevok, former general of the Goblin Liberation Army back in my world. I think the people from here call it Avena.

He then looks a little embarassed.

Well, now I'm just a retired farmer. Sorry if I haven't heard of your place, but until last month I didn't even know there were multiple worlds to go to. Well, I guess some of the wizards back there knew about that but they still hadn't found out how to travel between worlds. Especially not the goblin wizards.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2021-07-10 at 02:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    PP: 14 (Adv.) PInv: 18 PIns: 10
    Raven tries to help Jeevok feel more at ease.

"No worries. Not everyone has heard of Sigil. It's an interesting place if you ever get the chance. I can't go back, but it's very cosmopolitan. You can see anything there. I think I read about Avena once. One of the few worlds where goblins prospered and won. I guess that's partly thanks to you. Nice job. I believe the General part, but you don't look like a retired farmer."

He motions to Jeevok's armor and weapons while he says the last part.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias
    Dragonborn Paladin/Sorcerer
    AC: 9 HP: 92/92 INIT: -1
    Passive Peception: 15
    Passive Investigation: 9
    Passive Insight: 11

Conditions: -
    Current Initiative: -

Speaking of towering over people, in through the door walks Temaias in stride. The near 2 meter tall dragonborn striking quite the imposing figure, dressed in a regal attire and a ceremonial longsword at his side. He moves through the room with all the stature, authority and gravitas of a king and his gaze scans the room only to halt at the veiw of the conference room. His eyes go wide as his mouth opens ever so slightly, moving up to the window, glass, wall or whatever barrier stood between him and the view. He had seen gods before his very eyes, stood at the foot of the celestial mountain and looked up to its very peak. Yet this was one of the few times even Temaias would gawk at the sight in front of him. However his attention would soon be drawn to the others conversation as he looks over to them. Before taking a few steps over to approach he would study them both as he walked, raising a scaled eyebrow as he did. A goblin and a gnome not a very common sight to him even less so for a place he could only imagine being the home of titans. None the less his gaze was not condescending, but curious rather. When his shadow then loomed over them both he would place a closed fist over his chest in greeting as he lowered his head in a short bow. "Hail. I am King Temaias, Herald of Bahamut the platinum dragon, Exarch of the Angel of the seven heavens and his chosen champion. Who might you be?" He smiled, beaming with pride and exuding a sense of honor and deep devotion.

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    PP: 14 (Adv.) PInv: 18 PIns: 10
    Raven tries to help Jeevok feel more at ease.

"No worries. Not everyone has heard of Sigil. It's an interesting place if you ever get the chance. I can't go back, but it's very cosmopolitan. You can see anything there. I think I read about Avena once. One of the few worlds where goblins prospered and won. I guess that's partly thanks to you. Nice job. I believe the General part, but you don't look like a retired farmer."

He motions to Jeevok's armor and weapons while he says the last part.
    Sorry I phrased it wrong, retired general. After the war ended I started living as a farmer.

Well I haven't donned my gear in a few years now. Hope I'm not rusty.

Also thanks. It was pretty hard, but I guess we goblins have always had it in us, we just needed to start believing we could have access to the same things that made other races strong. So we started building technology to match theirs, learning their magic, stealing some of their weapons and learning how to make them at the same quality.

Eventually, we started matching their power and they were forced to make a truce to avoid more bloodshed.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2021-07-10 at 04:34 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Nyan View Post
    Temaias

Speaking of towering over people, in through the door walks Temaias in stride. The near 2 meter tall dragonborn striking quite the imposing figure, dressed in a regal attire and a ceremonial longsword at his side. He moves through the room with all the stature, authority and gravitas of a king and his gaze scans the room only to halt at the veiw of the conference room. His eyes go wide as his mouth opens ever so slightly, moving up to the window, glass, wall or whatever barrier stood between him and the view. He had seen gods before his very eyes, stood at the foot of the celestial mountain and looked up to its very peak. Yet this was one of the few times even Temaias would gawk at the sight in front of him. However his attention would soon be drawn to the others conversation as he looks over to them. Before taking a few steps over to approach he would study them both as he walked, raising a scaled eyebrow as he did. A goblin and a gnome not a very common sight to him even less so for a place he could only imagine being the home of titans. None the less his gaze was not condescending, but curious rather. When his shadow then loomed over them both he would place a closed fist over his chest in greeting as he lowered his head in a short bow. "Hail. I am King Temaias, Herald of Bahamut the platinum dragon, Exarch of the Angel of the seven heavens and his chosen champion. Who might you be?" He smiled, beaming with pride and exuding a sense of honor and deep devotion.
    Jeevok repeats the same introduction he gave to the gnome.

"Pleased to meet you... King."
    He says, not sure how he should act.

A dragonborn... now that was not something he had seen personally before, though he had heard stories of them from distant continents. He had met an actual dragon once, though, when the enemy humans lured one into the goblin camp during a battle. They had managed to slay it, but not without a few causalities.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2021-07-10 at 04:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mardove finally made his way to the conference room. He was nursing a row of scratches along his nose.
    His face and head were nearly the only parts of him not covered by Mithral plates or other form of technological protection.

He saw nothing but the view as he walked in, oblivious to the others and their conversations.
    Holy heard-mother of all...” he mutters in wide eyed disbelief.
    He suddenly twitches as a soft hum pulses once from his suit. The goblin smith quickly found his focus and was aware of the rest of the room. He was glad to see another goblin and equally glad to find a gnome. With a big wide smile that only goblins can muster he waves to the others and address them all at once.

“I’m Mardove, so... who’s in charge? What’s our first job?” his eyes fall to the Dragonborn expectantly

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    PP: 19 PInv: 18 PIns: 10
    When the Dragonborn walks in, Raven tenses for a moment as he evaluates the newcomer. The armor and great sword seem to suggest a warrior, so not much of a threat there. But is that an amulet, a component pouch on his belt? Raven decides he might need to keep an eye on him. But when the giant dragon-man speaks, and calls himself King Temaias, Raven knows he has nothing to worry about. Any true conspirator would have kept a royal title hidden.

Then another goblin walks in. Again Raven is relieved for it to be a goblin. This one appears to be a scientist. Well-armored, but in clearly technological armor. Usually, scientists are manipulated more than they are the manipulator. Relief washes over Raven again. With a big smile, he follows Jeevok over to the newcomers.

"Raven. Not in charge here. I think Lord Myrddin should be here soon. Nice to meet you both. Would anyone like a beer or a cigar while we wait?"

He holds up an empty tankard and a small leather cigar case that looks like it could hold about 6 cigars. The gnome already has a lit cigar in his mouth.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-11 at 05:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

DruidGirl

The door is shutting behind a human now entering; he is tall and strong for a spellcaster, and a spellcaster he must be, by all the bits and bobs of his costume--the twining staff rising to a crystalline gem, the heavy brass solar mask of a priest, the tiny burning glede of a stone orbiting his head. He wears a costly breastplate of shining bronze, set with gems, over an embroidered ephod in the colors of sunrise. He is beardless, and his chin is firm, but his hands are the hands of an old man. A very old man. Long silver hair spills down to his shoulders.

On his shoulders, like epaulets, clasping the corners of the ephod, he wears two pins. One is a flat gold disc, crossed with a sword; like the pins you wear, but the moon has waxed fat and full and golden. The other is in the shape of an outheld hand, and is set around the edges with a great many semiprecious stones of various colors.

His voice is heavy with authority, with years, centuries of command:

"I am Lord Myrddin Jrukon, called Tgaumi, the Unburned. In the Age of Heroes I served the Last King of Solus, the Man who would become a God. In the Age that came after I built this city. I am the one you have been waiting for."

(It would spoil the effect he is going for, if he were carrying a bunch of papers, so the nonbinary elven attendant who escorted all of you to the room is tagging along discreetly in his wake, hugging an armload of parchment. They are also tasked with lugging along a shield Myrddin apparently decided to doff at the last moment.)
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-07-11 at 09:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Mardove’s eyes light up at the sight of the cigar box. “Whatta d’ya got? T’is been a while.” he asks, falling back to his native tongue. (Not that it matters.)
    As for beer, he pulls out a solid and unusual contraption, shaped a lot like a tankard, handle and all, but a bit bulkier than usual, and with a stein top, rotating parts and a few peculiar pipes going this way and that.

Mardove seemed only to proud to demonstrate its purpose. Pressing down the thumblift, the top popped open and he tipped the tankard upside down to prove it was empty.
    Next he set it upright and closed the lid, shuffled around some of the rings running around the outside, twisted a small screw and stared at it expectantly for a moment. When it became clear that it was not doing what it was supposed to he gave it a hard knock on some nearby furniture.
    After that a sudden rushing and hissing of liquid could be heard coming from inside the large drinking cup as if by magic, it filled itself up.

He kindly held it out in offering.
    ”Dwarves made the ale but a gnomish friend made the cup. Only we weren’t friends when I stole that from him.”

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

Jeevok is impressed by the technology. He is not much of an artificer himself, but he's always valued it. He always had somebody in his crew ready to grab and reverse engineer any different machine they could put their hands on.

"I'm not sure if you should be saying that in front of another gnome, my friend" - he says, with a grim.

"Thanks for the offer, both of you, but I think I'll drink some other time" - he says, tempted to accept the beer, but preferring to make a good first impression to his employer who is about to arrive in the room.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2021-07-11 at 09:42 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by TriciaOso View Post
    The door is shutting behind a human now entering; he is tall and strong for a spellcaster, and a spellcaster he must be, by all the bits and bobs of his costume--the twining staff rising to a crystalline gem, the heavy brass solar mask of a priest, the tiny burning glede of a stone orbiting his head. He wears a costly breastplate of shining bronze, set with gems, over an embroidered ephod in the colors of sunrise. He is beardless, and his chin is firm, but his hands are the hands of an old man. A very old man. Long silver hair spills down to his shoulders.

On his shoulders, like epaulets, clasping the corners of the ephod, he wears two pins. One is a flat gold disc, crossed with a sword; like the pins you wear, but the moon has waxed fat and full and golden. The other is in the shape of an outheld hand, and is set around the edges with a great many semiprecious stones of various colors.

His voice is heavy with authority, with years, centuries of command:

"I am Lord Myrddin Jrukon, called Tgaumi, the Unburned. In the Age of Heroes I served the Last King of Solus, the Man who would become a God. In the Age that came after I built this city. I am the one you have been waiting for."

(It would spoil the effect he is going for, if he were carrying a bunch of papers, so the nonbinary elven attendant who escorted all of you to the room is tagging along discreetly in his wake, hugging an armload of parchment. They are also tasked with lugging along a shield Myrddin apparently decided to doff at the last moment.)
    The goblin observes the elder man who just arrived and gets the feeling he could probably disintegrate him and his soul without even moving that staff. Well, he probably can, actually. His claim of having served a god feels more natural than the dragonborn's claim of serving angels, even.

He waves his head in a greet. But making sure it doesn't look like a bow. He would still never bow to a human.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    Seeing the second goblin fill his own tankard with dwarven ale, Raven realizes they must have the same enchantment, although Raven's is a much simpler design, looking like a stein you would find in any traveler's inn. Instead of filling his own and looking like he might be trying to upstage the goblin, he instead offers his own empty mug to be filled and compliments his new benefactor on the quality of the ale. It tastes slightly better than the ale his own tankard creates, but that may just be that it is new to Raven.

"Margove is fine, Jeevok. I am not that other gnome just like you are not another goblin I may have met in the past. Mardove, that's very good ale, a little darker than the one mine makes. I like it. This is great, with both of us having one, we'll be able to have more beer each day."

Raven is passing out cigars to any who want one when their host arrives. Now this is the type of person Raven would be suspicious about, dripping with magic and signs of spellcasting. And he is suspicious. But he also realizes that this Lord is the key to understanding this place and Raven's potential role in it. So he offers the host a cigar along with the others, holding out a cigar with a nod but no words. He cuts and lights a cigar for anyone who accepts his offer while he waits for Lord Myrddin to continue his presentation.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

“Eh’nd we still waiting.” Mardove says in reply to Lord Myrddin’s lengthy introduction. Cigar hanging out of the corner of his mouth, a jug of ale in one hand and now a screwdriver in the other. “You’re the one who called us ‘ere so what’s dis all bout?” his words were followed by a puff of smoke.

“Need a human army taken care of?” his words were followed by a deliberate and testing sardonic smile.

Mardove knew that custom dictated that he should show this man some respect, but right now he didn’t see any reason to.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Jeevok repeats the same introduction he gave to the gnome.

"Pleased to meet you... King."
    He says, not sure how he should act.

A dragonborn... now that was not something he had seen personally before, though he had heard stories of them from distant continents. He had met an actual dragon once, though, when the enemy humans lured one into the goblin camp during a battle. They had managed to slay it, but not without a few causalities.
    "Liberation army?..." Temaias eyes looked a bit perplexed for a second before his face beamed with joy, giving the goblin a wide fanged grin and promptly patting the goblin on the shoulder, not in a demeaning manner but rather adoration. "I thought I felt a sense of justice from you. I can tell you must have fought hard and more importantly seized victory. You may look small but I can still feel your spirit as far greater! Your shoulders have carried much that much is apparent. Happy to meet a kindred spirit such as you! Please you may simply call me Temaias, no need for formalities." He repeated his salute but with more gusto than previously now with a wide grin.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy-hunter View Post
    Mardove finally made his way to the conference room. He was nursing a row of scratches along his nose.
    His face and head were nearly the only parts of him not covered by Mithral plates or other form of technological protection.

He saw nothing but the view as he walked in, oblivious to the others and their conversations.
    Holy heard-mother of all...” he mutters in wide eyed disbelief.
    He suddenly twitches as a soft hum pulses once from his suit. The goblin smith quickly found his focus and was aware of the rest of the room. He was glad to see another goblin and equally glad to find a gnome. With a big wide smile that only goblins can muster he waves to the others and address them all at once.

“I’m Mardove, so... who’s in charge? What’s our first job?” his eyes fall to the Dragonborn expectantly
    When the second goblin entered he turned away from Jeevok. He got more curious as to the reason for so many of the littlefolk gathering in one spot. When the goblin introduced himself and looked towards Temaias he would take a few steps up to him and yet again lower his head in a short nod. "Hail Mardove. I am King Temaias, Lord of the North wind and Herald of the Platinum Dragon, Exarch of Bahamut. I am however, not in charge as that seem to be Lord Me-.." Temaias halted dead in his tracks. He felt something, something approaching.

His gaze snapped to the door as he turned away from Mardove to face it. He would not take ciggars or drinks from the gome. All he did was stare at the door. He felt it, his blood. It was boiling, fuming. Not with rage, no it was more than that. An emotion could not explain the feeling. His blood was singing, singing a chorus which suffused his entire being. Was it danger? No, it was not so simple. No this feeling, something he has not felt for who knows how long...Familiarity?...Belonging?...Temaias walked towards the door as in a trance as it opened and the man strode in to the room. Yes, no doubt about it. It was him, his blood. Temaias felt it. He heard it, down to his very core his very essence he knew. His blood sang too. He completley ignored the little folks conversations and stood before the man. He did not say a word, he did not introduce himself, no titles, no mention of heraldry... He didn't have to...He already knew this man, they had the very same blood in their veins. And Temaias had not had this feeling since he had stood beside his fellow exarchs long, long ago. Temaias stood and looked at him deep in the eyes for some time. Temaias was beyond elation, that such a person, much like himself, could still be around and he had the privilege to meet him. He would clench his clawed fingers in to the palm of his hand, just enough to draw blood. Then he would simply raise his hand for the fellow sorcerer to shake it.

19. - Top - End - #19

DruidGirl

Myrddin looks coldly at the offer of a cigar and at the mugs of beer, but it's nothing compared to the frigid look he gives to Mardove's flippant response. Behind him, the attendant's eyes go as big as saucers. Comparatively, Jeevok's curt nod looks positively courtly.

When he turns his gaze on Temaias, his expression changes; he does not exactly unbend, but something in his manner softens. He looks briefly askance at the bloody claw being proferred, but shakes it nonetheless, and gives the other sorcerer a nod.

"I believe there's been a mistake," he says darkly. A finger unfolds to point at Mardove, then at Raven. "You can wait in your dormitory. And you as well." He hesitates over Jeevok, but does not dismiss him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    Raven casts a quick spell and his cigar goes out. He looks apologetically at the sorcerer king.

"Sorry, sir. I didn't realize we were being so formal here. I had heard you were great and good so I thought I'd just be nice. If you're not a fan of cigars we can put them out. I can behave."

He had enough experience dealing with powerful beings to think he might recover from his his initial social faux pas. He continues to use magic to snuff everyone else's cigars. He is clearly mistaken, and seems to have further angered the Lord.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    casts prestidigitation to put out the cigars.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-11 at 02:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Jeevok just watches in silence at the scene, happy that he did not accept the beer. Those two weren't very smart. Jeevok had learned the hard way that sometimes you have to make the right impression to build the relations that need to be built, when he had a war to end.

But he does not like this Myrddin guy at all. It's obvious that he is more powerful than everyone else here, but being arrogant about your power or not is a choice. In that sense, he probably prefers the dragonborn king.

But he waits to hear what the man came to say before commenting on anything.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias

Temaias did not notice the elfs reaction to the exhange. All his attention was on Myrddin, watching his cold dissaproval of the drink and ciggar but when he looked at Temaias again, shaking his hand Temaias smiled proudly back at him. He felt the wellspring from which his power came and Myrddin felt his. Although Temaias had not expected such a distance between them in terms of strenght. His was akin to the sun in the sky while Temaias was more like that of a single star. He had stood before his god Bahamut before and always has Temaias wished to stand beside him rather than beneath. To perch on the peak of the mountain as equals. And now he saw it, his path. Myrddin was at that peak. He stood beside gods themselves as an equal. And now he knew, Temaias knew that he one day could achive that as well. He could not see this back home. Everything was so...Normal. But here in this city of titans...He finaly knew what he had to do to stand beside the powers he has reveered all his life as an equal.

When Myrddin gestured coldly to the gnome and the goblin Temaias would take a step back from Myrddin, remaining silent as he did. He glanced over at each of them in turn. Part of him wished to help, to interject and smoothe the situation over but Temaias felt it was not his place as they stood in Myrddins hall. Respect was something that had to be gained individualy and he could not have helped their first impression being regretful. He would not chastise them either, for there was no need. Myrddin had no need of his help to enforce respect that was as clear as day. A King to another does not question his behavior in his own court.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Mardove knew that the words coming out of the mans mouth were a blatant lie, but he didn’t argue, instead studying him for it.
    So even the great Pax makes mistakes eh, don’t worry, I’m sure it’ll get better over time.” he says as he relighted his cigar. Now, now he really didn’t like this arrogant pompous ogre dung. Mardove deliberately tested the boundaries and was more than happy to not be working under this man if he didn’t have to.
    From early on when he still had his tribe, when an orc walked in and told you how great he was, goblins were going to die. Then during the time of the treaty, when humans would tell you how mighty and important they were, goblins were gonna suffer, be betrayed and then die.
    He didn’t leave his world to come here and still be beaten into a subservient worg. Mardove didn’t become a hero by listening to others or doing what he was supposed to. Formalities and tradition only hindered progress. And this mans ego was too weak to handle insult.

Mardove stopped beside Myrddin as he was leaving and looking up at the creator of this whole establishment, added in one more subtle jab. As he casually pat the man, (forearm or thigh) he said. “I imagine your a busy guy and all so, maybe if ya, oh I don’t know, cut down on your introduction, not having to say all those words you would have more free time to investigate these ‘mistakes’.

Mardove took a second to eye off the trinkets Myrddin wore and then waved goodbye to the others as he headed back to his room, bumping into the elf as he left and calling back to no one in particular with a bit of irritation in his voice. ”Guess i’ll Just wait around again, for the right person this time.

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Jeevok makes an attempt to change the subject.

"This... was something".

"Now... pleased to meet you, Lord Myrddin. I have been told you need my assistance with matters that are happening in other worlds. What can I help with?"

25. - Top - End - #25

DruidGirl

Myrddin's impassive mask turns to Jeevok.

"Yes. Vampires." His tone is curt and authoritative.

He takes the papers from the elf, sorts rapidly through them, and tosses one thin packet on the table. "Basic intelligence about the world. It's quite ordinary, not too dissimilar to either of yours," he says, gesturing to Temaias and Jeevok. He has not acknowledged Raven since his earlier response. "Very few high-leveled beings."

He adds another sheaf of parchments, the threat assessment.

"We've been monitoring the establishment of a vampiric household in a remote township. The initial decision was to leave it to local factors, with some minimal guidance and support channeled through a tenth rank cleric nearby. They failed. Either they proved incompetent--not impossible--or the threat was worse than the local man's initial assessment."

"In either case, with the loss of the local adventurers, there is no one conveniently placed to deal with the threat, especially if it is greater than anticipated. Therefore, we have received authorization to send in a team."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    Raven starts to make his way to the door, but stops when Lord Myrddin talks about vampires. He met one once. Not the nicest creature he ever met but not the worst either. When Myrddin throws the packet on the table, Raven's curiosity gets the best of him. He sits down at the table, not yet brave enough to speak up or reach for the packet, but he's sure he will need to read it before going on this mission.

Besides, he has an important question to ask Jeevok before they all go back to their rooms.

While he waits to either get kicked out or be allowed to ask some of his hundreds of questions, he strikes up a telepathic conversation with Jeevok.

Hello, Jeevok. This is Raven. Don't worry. It's just telepathy. I can't hear your thoughts. We need to ask if he knows anything in general about vampires. If he has any tips for us in managing the threat. I don't think he'll respond to me, so I need you to ask. Make sure you flatter him first. "someone as great as you must have defeated vampires before. How did you do it?" or something like that.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-11 at 08:44 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Chimera

"Vampires? Yes I think my world has some too, but I've never faced them myself".

He hears Raven's message and tries to ask the question.

"So... they are confined to one building? My first idea is to raid it quickly early in the morning, since they don't like the sunlight, from what I've heard. But that's what I know about vampires. What do the more experienced members of this organization usually do to dispatch them, if you don't mind me asking?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Raven Rune Attic
    Wizard 11/ Artificer 1
    Raven continues to sit respectfully at the table. Not making direct eye contact with Lord Myrddin and not yet asking any questions, despite his strong desire to spew forth a torrent of queries.

Instead he bides his time, waiting to be acknowledged or for the right moment to chime in. He continues to speak to Jeevok.

Nice job, Jeevok.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-07-12 at 06:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGirl

"One building as far as we know," he agrees. "But vampires do have the habit of hiding their coffins in unexpected places. And unsurprisingly, the mansion itself is built over some extensive family crypts. If it was easy, the local lads could have handled it."

"Most worlds do have some variant," he says, with a nod to Jeevok. "Although you should review the packet to make sure everything is in line with your expectations."

"Your team, actually, has a member who is an expert of some value on the subject. Unfortunately, he has a chip on his shoulder that it is not my job to help him remove," he says dryly. "I recommend you discuss matters with him in a setting more congenial to his temperament. Maia here has the documents with all we know about the town, the local contact, and the layout of the building itself. They will accompany you."

"My last word of advice--act quickly. When they choose, vampires can become a contagion. The more time passes, the more of the townsfolk may have been enthralled or turned. Mardove knows that well."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-07-12 at 07:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias

At Mardoves blatant display of disrespect as he saw himself out the door Temaias could not help but sneer in displeasure. Him narrowing his eyes at the goblins back and growling a low deep rumble starting in chest. But he said nothing and did not interject as Myrddin seemed to simply let it go then so would Temaias. No need to drag the situation out for longer than it had to.

When Jeevok then changed the subject and Myrddin promply went to explaining the situation and the task at hand Temaias payed full attention, his eyes glossing over the papers being thrown at the table. Vampires, Temaias has had experience with those in his world. Many cases evil creatures who want nothing but to sate their own desires for power and the blood of the living. In others a sad fate for an individual who has been forced in to such a state and does not want anything but to be free of their curse... Temaias has seen both...

He would walk over to the table as the others sat, not even taking a look through the papers at all before he simply exclaimed. "It will be done! How do we get there?" He said with a resounding boom to his voice giving a confident look towards Myrddin. No facts, no queries. He was already ready to go. You could tell Temaias was familiar with the matter but also that he was never the Individual to consider much before he dealt with things. A direct approach had served him well all this time and he was not about to change in that regard.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2021-07-12 at 03:51 PM.