New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

"I say your simplifying Melchizars duties however his freedom is what I seek. I believe he has suffered long enough inside his prison. He wishes to return back to his original duties the Mother gave him is that not correct Melchizar?" Sister Rosalind asks him directly this way the words were not hers but his. "As for help, had I had these..." she says picking up the bones of Saint Rosalind, "when I asked for them a part of cleansing Charis may have already been figured out, or at least a way to restore her to life and no longer undeath." she explains to Theo. "My namesake had a talent of being able to take the negative energy out of people from what the stories say, I planned to try and harmonize and commune with them however as we see I never received them." Sister Rosalind explains before adding, "IF Malture come's in two days and the runes are failing do we really have the time to try and wait to restore her? We need to restore the chalice which Yara has, why don't we focus on one task so we can complete all, with the chalice restored we get one step closer to our goals of making sure people don't live their lives in constant war and spend their afterlife being tortured simply because they choose not to believe in anything." Sister Rosalind says.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

The original duties he was given by the Mother was to slay immortals. Melchizar, though long-incarcerated, will not be so for long. He and I were talking minutes ago about how he would be of greatest use in fighting Maltur. To that end, I agree, we should give aid to Yara as best we can. I will have a page Send to the Arbiter and ask how we might be able to help. We can discuss how you feel Melchizar's release should be conditioned, and I will be glad to hear your thoughts, and if they may have changed since we first came across Melchizar? Much has happened, and new facts have been revealed since then.

I will not bury the lead, though you may have discovered some part of the ritual with careful study of these bones, I already have the entire ritual. The point of keeping them secreted away was so that they were available at precisely the right time. That is why I intentionally moved Melchizar here, and why Gunn and I have been carefully orchestrating certain motions with absolute discretion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind, Theo and Gunn
    Show
    Melchizar nods slowly. "I was created to enforce the law of death," he says softly. "I cannot be other than what I am. I will help you kill Maltur because it is my nature."

Hadurel regards him with open contempt. "And then he will go looking for more victims. He is an assassin. He will never stop killing."

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Lothrain nods once, then lays a hand on your shoulder. "Relath grant you the strength to endure this trial, Yara."

At his words, your body is flooded with power, a working of divine magic that bolsters your endurance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yara gains a +6 enhancement bonus to constitution for the next 17 hours.

The Solar for its part shakes its head. "It is not my role to influence the outcome of this quest. However much I might wish to. You must succeed on your own merits, with such support as your actions in this life have earned you."

Lothrain grimaces at that, looking thoughtful.

"Teleportation magic is not really a cleric's strong suit. Unless your allies can help, you might need the Arcane Fellowship - specifically the Council. As far as I know, only Abrogar - the former Elder of the Council, now in prison for his part in Martak's rebellion - has the ability to take you to Old Ganthar directly.

"The Waygate is an option, but a risky one. It's been used recently enough that the Enemy will be guarding it closely.

"There are no obvious choices. But, then, I never expected this would be easy."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Thank you. I'll return once my quest is over," Yara says. Once she has the Chalice, she disappears into the realm of dreams.
    (Dream Travel)

Spoiler: Theo, Rosalind and Gunn
    Show

Yara suddenly appears in the room, appearing healthier than usual thanks to Lothrain's magic.
    "Oh good, you're all here. I've got the Chalice and a few hours to live. Someone's poisoned me with devilsbile and I'll only survive if I purify the Chalice and myself. Or eat Hadurel. Sorry that this is rushed but I don't have much time. Can you help me?"

Show

That reminds me, knowledge checks on Devilsbile to see if Yara knows the source of it:
    Planes: (1d20+10)[26] (I guess it comes from devils)
    Arcana(?): (1d20+12)[21]
    Religion(?): (1d20+13)[32]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

"And what if he doesn't wish to fight Malture? Did you ask Melchizar what he wished to do? His purpose may be to kill immortals doesn't mean he doesn't take pride in doing what he does. Look at the trophies he had, and the story he took with them to remember each foe defeated." Sister Rosalind says to Theo noting that Melchizar may want to kill immortals, that didn't mean you could simply tell him who to kill and he would just do it. He seemed to enjoy learning about his target and gathering a keepsake of theirs from what she had seen then simply killing them for the sake of it. Each person slain in truth lived on in the one who killed them for he kept their memory alive. "As for the ritual you know what you need and who you need that doesn't exactly mean you know how to do each thing. Its like cooking, just because you have the directions doesn't mean something can't go wrong if you don't know what your making fully."

Spoiler: Long drawn out Rosalind wants for Melchizar
    Show
    I wish for Melchizar to be free simply put. He was created to destroy people who became immortals and tried to cheat death and since he has been locked away beings like Shroud (Lich guy), the knights of the Eternal Vigil, and countless others have risen up where Melchizar would have been able to stop them before they caused the amount of damage they have on this world. What makes Melchizar so different from any other outsider created for a purpose, what makes him different then the fallen angel we meet in the plane of shadows who fell because he refused to serve a lie. Melchizar lost faith in his post, he couldn't see what the Mother and Father see, and he was never given a reason as to why he could no longer do what he was meant to do. He was simply told guard this bridge and stop killing these new deities.

Turning to Melchizar she speaks directly to him. " If you were given a chance to serve your purpose once more would you aid us? I am not saying you can go around killing whoever you want, I am saying the Mother had a plan, one I doubt even if she explained it to you now you would understand fully. I think a part of it however was she saw a time when the bridge would be destroyed and she hoping to save as many as she could sent you to guard it. I ask you to find faith once more Melchizar, if not in the Mother and Father in me. Malture will destroy the world and the Betrayer would see everyone dead and under his control including yourself. Countless other forces seek to destroy reality itself and you were once the champion who stopped these monsters from doing so. Allowing us mortals to rest at ease, never knowing the struggles you faced each day for us even if it was not intental. Serve humanity once more Melchizar, protect us from the forces you all to well know wish to destroy everything they can in their quest to cheat death. Become whole once more." Rosalind pleads with the ancient vampire hoping she could appeal to his sense of honor and purpose as if they gave him a defined list of who to kill they would be no better then those who wished to use him as a weapon. But if he were willing to choose to protect humanity once more as he did in the past by destroying those who wished to cheat death there was a chance he could find his own version of redemption.

@Hadurel "And what is your purpose Hadurel? What purpose gave you life and kept you from falling? You call Melchizar an assassin because he was created to stop beings trying to cheat death however tell me what is the most likely kinds of people who wish to cheat death? Those who would wish to help bring peace to the world, or those who would wish to see it crumble and rot, to twist it to serve their needs? You angels often sit up in the heavens looking down on us mortals, you see the damage one is about to cause years before it ever happens and allow it to play out for good or ill unless someone calls on you for aid. And even then it is one who is highly blessed by their deity if they are to get your attention. Melchizar saw a problem and fixed it with the rules he was instructed to follow before any other gods were born yet. You fault him for simply being born when you could be just like him if the Sentinel so choose it. I do not excuse his betraying the Mother, however I will defend him from being called an assassin, especially by a being who knows how hard it is to change their nature." Rosalind reminds the Deva that all outsiders had a hard time changing from what they were and it often destroyed them in the process.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Hadurel
    Show
    Basically trying to point out to the angel that like himself, Melchizar no doubt can't change so easily he was created to destroy and then told what he could destroy. For him to change he would have to first find a reason to and then find a way to go through with it. So calling him an assassin is like a deva of Berun calling Hadurel a murderer because he is "the sword of justice" for instance and kills people who are evil/demons.

(1d20+35)[45]

Added Knowledge the planes to try and see if she knows what Hadurel's purpose is (1d20+2)[4]

Spoiler: When Yara Arrives
    Show
    As Yara asks for their aid Sister Rosalind immediately answers yes as she tries to go through her memory of what the poison was and its effects on a person. "We were just discussing Melchizar's release before you showed up and I believe he could be a great ally and helping make sure you reach where you are meant to be if you had a foe poison you with devilsbile I suspect we will need all the help we can get.

Spoiler: checks to see what she knows of devilsbile
    Show

Heal (1d20+25)[30]
    Religion (1d20+20)[35] As it ties into the church of the master of lies and lady of sin no doubt
    The planes (1d20+2)[4]

6. - Top - End - #66

"I... uh... I'm not bringing an evil god killer on a quest to impress a good god," Yara says. "Oh, I should explain it. I'm to pray to Relath on the mountain that the gods made a deal with Old Ganthar on. We need to go to Old Ganthar and I can't bring us there. Can Manny teleport us that far? Or perhaps planeshift twice then teleport if out of range. I probably need to go now if I want to live."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

The philosophical intricacies of the divine is not something Gunn readily understands, or cares to comment on. But Yara's question is straightforward enough. "If we can find some way to view the mountain, Manny can then teleport us there--or close to it. Otherwise, we can try planeshifting, but there's no guarantee it will be close."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2020-06-30 at 10:56 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Before Yara arrives
    Show
    Melchizar listens to Rosalind's speech, looking troubled. "You think only the depraved seek to cheat death, Rosalind? There are many who sought divinity for a cause you would see as noble.

"It is true that I was once a champion, a leader of armies, in service to Torae. That I fought against the enemies of the Creators, who would defy Their dictates by seizing immortality. Did I protect mortals in doing so? It seems to me as many sided with the would-be gods as against them.

"I long for those days - for the clarity of purpose, the certainty, the freedom to act as I was created to. I was made to fight a war that has ended. Can I find a purpose in peace - or embrace a new war? That is the question."

He falls silent for a moment, reflecting. Finally he sighs.

"In the short term, I welcome the chance to battle Maltur. That was what the Father here asked of me, and I relish the prospect. But you speak of the long term.

"You speak of finding faith. Of trusting that Torae had a purpose in all She did. But if I cannot reconcile my fundamental convictions with the actions of my Goddess, how can I serve Her?

"Should I say that all Torae does is, by definition, right - however wrong it may appear? That if She does that which I perceive to be wrong, it is either my perception or my convictions that are at fault? I do not know that I am comfortable with such blind obedience. Could you do it, Rosalind? Could you continue to serve Kirest, if He commanded you to kill?

"It is one thing for a mortal to have a change of heart and serve a new cause. Outsiders are not given the same freedom.

"And then you want me to place my faith in you, Rosalind of Pacem. So I ask you this: if the goddess who created me can betray me, how can I place my faith in a mortal? I know your kind well. You serve this cause in your youth, and abandon it as the years mellow your views. Today you are poor, and believe in equality; tomorrow you will be rich, and equate taxation with theft. You change like quicksilver, a new persona for every situation. I can no more trust the constancy of a mortal than the mercy of a scorpion."

He lapses into a pensive silence, giving you a chance to speak with Hadurel. The deva considers your words and has the grace to look abashed.

"Perhaps there is truth in your words,"
    he says softly. "I, too, was created for battle - to confront evil, to defend the righteous. I cannot criticise another being for having been created a soldier. No, he is deserving of my pity: I pity him that he was created without a shred of morality, that he is blind to matters of good and evil. It is no doing of his that he was so created.

"But even if I do pity him, it does not change my duty. He would slay every god in the heavens, given a chance. My duty is to stand in his way."

Melchizar looks at the deva, shaking his head. "Would I? In truth, I am no longer certain. If I could feel the joy of fighting immortals once more, would it trouble me that there were other immortals I was not fighting? I cannot be in two places at once. I have to start somewhere. Why not in the Hells?

"Might there come a time when there were only the Heavenly immortals left to fight? Perhaps. But it seems to me that I would face many battles before that became an issue. The odds of my running out of immortals you would gladly see killed, before I am myself destroyed, seem long enough to make me a safe bet.

"So I say only this: I will gladly pledge my sword to the cause of opposing Maltur - and even Vlarath, our past allegiance notwithstanding. And I will fight for that cause until it is won or I am slain. Must we dwell unduly on what happens after that?"

After Yara abruptly materialises, Hadurel reacts to this talk of being eaten with revulsion and a tightened grasp of his blade. Melchizar's reaction is just as visceral, but not because of her gastronomic choices: stares at her, his eyes narrowing, a blade of pure darkness forming in his hands seemingly without conscious thought.

"What madness is this? You expect me to patiently endure the presence of one standing on the cusp of immortality?"

He holds himself with unearthly stillness, blade down and to one side, only his eyes showing the intensity of his emotions: but the heat of his hatred could melt iron.

9. - Top - End - #69

In Melchizar's words, Gunn finds a truth worth considering. "Time is finite. Our needs are dire. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Let this being join us in our goal."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo listens patiently as those around him continue to discuss what they envision for the role of Melchizar, and other matters, until Yara arrives. The shock of her appearance, and the indignant response of Melchizar and Hadurel, required his swift response.

Hadurel, please continue to guard Melchizar, under the previous direction. He said, as he guided his companions to circle around. Yara, I promised you long ago that I would remain by your side through whatever trials came forth. I wish that your soul had healed before now, but there remains one more challenge for you. I will be there with you all the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry Dantie, you're post is just too big to respond to in a concise manner, and I don't like doing endless streams of spoilers. I'd rather we just try and come to an agreement OOC and aim for a good team-friendly conclusion, so I instead had Theo listen patiently
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

11. - Top - End - #71

"Great, now we just need to decide on a route. I think Old Ganthar is too far to directly teleport, Lothrain mentioned Arbrogar as the only one powerful enough to reach directly. However plane shift, inaccurate as it is, can bring us easily within teleport range. We just need some method of scrying the mountain. Or I can Dream Travel us the rest of the way, plane shift displacement will take at most an hour forty to travel.

Yara pauses to think.
    "I'll go pick up Manny and bring him here, while I'm gone find a way for him to scry. Should he be at your place, Gunn? Meet back here in at most half an hour. Anyone got any long-lasting fortitude boosting spells?"

(Will Dream Travel to where Gunn says Manny should be).

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Before Yara Arrives
    Show
    Melchizar was indeed asking the right questions Rosalind noted and it showed that he had thought over his crimes for all this time. He may not show the pity or regret that was expected of him, however he did from her point of view see that his actions could have been different. "Why Melchizar that is a question us mortals ask ourselves almost every day. Ask any priest that serves if everything their god does is always right even if they see it as wrong and you will get the same confusion. So I will answer it the way I can, others will no doubt have a different view and that is okay. We are each created as individuals given the ability to think and reason. You have mortals like Those of us gathered in this room who look at things from a limited point of view compared to Hadurel and your own. And no doubt you look at many of the nobler things we do as evil and wrong. So to would a god then look at you and see things differently. But the Creators are even older and more alien then the Gods, their line of thinking is far beyond what we would see as right or wrong. Where you may see centuries ahead they look through different timelines. And let me tell you this Melchizar, I was in the halls when you were sentenced to imprisonment." Rosalind states unsure if he was able to sense her when this took place or even connect the two very separate timelines together. "I only heard one side of the conversation however from the power the Mother showed when the Sentinel challenged her on not stopping you showed that she did not believe you betrayed her in the sense others do. I suspect she saw you as she does most of us, as a child rebelling and trying to find its place in the world. So neither person is wrong when it comes to beings who see things on different perspectives. I am sure in your mind, as well as the Mothers and Fathers when you were created the immortals that rose up needed to be destroyed and stopped or else the balance would be destroyed. However as time went on things slowly began to change until a time where those who became the 21 were I suspect very different from those you fought in the wars of the past. Immortal yes, however something changed about them, what I cannot say I was not there though you were and that is what led the Mother to stop you from killing them. Perhaps she saw a time of peace as we have had, or perhaps she saw a need for allies as you yourself said you cannot be everywhere at once and she knew you would need aid against a new threat. I do not know, and neither did you, as such thinking you were betrayed rightfully so you took a deal to for fill your purpose again. Only to be called a traitor and imprisoned by those who are almost identical to you. But the one you served never called you a traitor or hunted you down to stop you did she? While the Betrayers name was struck from most records your name remained taught to all children of Pacem and followers of the Lovers." Sister Rosalind explains hoping this would help him see that perhaps things were not exactly as he saw them.

"As for killing, my task is to stop the Betrayer and return Anathema to the Mother so he can no longer spread the undead to cause havoc and chaos throughout the world. In truth I believe the box has already been opened on that, mortals have learned how to do so without divine magic so I don't believe by stopping him undead will stop being created outside the Mother's domain. I do believe though that they will be easier to stop without his influence. My task in this life is to protect all living things, he is not alive but an undead creature, and I say this with no offense Melchizar, but he is outside that of even devils and demons that have some form of mortality and sense of life, even if it is not the correct one in my own eyes. Would I kill a living being if Kirest demanded me to, I do not believe I could I have lived my entire life with the belief of never killing a single soul. Violence itself is best avoided if possible. I hope this answers your question as to what would I do, and helps you get a judge of who I am."

When Hadruel points out Melchizar was created without a shred of morality Rosalind gets an idea. "Could two beings share the essence of morality Hadruel?"

Spoiler: Blade of darkness Religion check
    Show
    The others have seen this, Rosalind was dead so she had no idea he could do this (1d20+20)[26] Hopefully roll high enough to know it is at least a part of the black flame.

"Melchizar I did not know Yara was on the cusp of immortality so I apologize that her presence disturbs you. However it is a problem that you did say moments ago that you would start in the hells yet you pull that.." she points to his sword "Out the moment she arrives." Sister Rosalind explains trying to place herself between the vampire and Yara to block his line of sight of her. Then again Gunn was on the side of agreeing to set him free and worry about the future at a time when it wasn't going to be the end if they didn't accept the help offered them.

Show
    Holding off on asking Theo to allow them to set M free until Rosalind knows if she could "share" a part of her morality with M as she is considered an outsider now due to the saint template. My idea is have M go scout out Maltor and look for his weakness's and prepare for battle. This keeps him away from Yara while also setting him free and showing him we are trusting him to uphold his end of the deal without us babysitting him.

Sister Rosalind simply waits for everything to be decided on Yara's mission as her life was the one in danger and it was her mission. She would accept whatever choice Yara made on her quest, even if it meant leaving Melchizar behind for now. It also helped that he didn't want to be around her, and dangling another immortal in front of him would be pushing him to close to that tipping point where he might relapse and accidentally kill someone.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Slipping effortlessly out of the physical world, you make your way through the twisted dreamscapes of Ganthar's residents. Many of the images you see are dominated by conflict and fear: images of the army of Feron seen from the perspective of the invaded nation, swollen to nightmare proportions.

You spot a variation on the same theme: memories of sailing beneath draconic wings, part of an army that thought itself invincible. It is a memory tinged with irony, with the bitterness of hindsight; and you bring yourself out of the dreamscape through the mind that spawned those images.

You emerge in a crowded tavern to general exclamations of alarm. Immediately in front of you is a mostly clean table, at which Manny sits with a plate of eggs and bacon, his fork frozen half way to his mouth. He stares at you for a moment, eyes slightly too wide, then lets out the breath he had been unconsciously holding and continues with his breakfast.

Taking their cue from Manny, the other patrons gradually return to their conversations. The psion gestures to you to take a seat, and then signals to the barkeep to bring a drink over.

"The infamous Yara,"
    he muses. "Betrayer and murderess of Feronax. Hardly someone I would expect to pay me a social call. Are you here on Gunn's business, or your own?"

Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    As swiftly as she arrived, Yara is gone again; and, with her disappearance, Melchizar relaxes, his sword fading away.

While he musters his thoughts, Hadurel picks up the thread of discussion Rosalind left hanging.

"You speak of sharing one's morality with another. You know not what you say, mortal. To excise part of your soul, the part that resonates with the song of the Heavens, and graft it to the spirit of another being: these are unspeakable acts, and would do lasting harm to you both."

Melchizar gives an ambiguous grunt at the deva's words. Meeting Rosalind's eyes, he says softly: "I will not permit anyone to twist me into something I am not. Not you, not Torae, no one.

"You mean to return Anathema to Torae. But Anathema - the purest, most deadly essence of Torae's power - is an inseparable part of me, as much as it is a part of Vlarath. The manifestation may differ - in my hands a weapon to kill even a god; in his, a wellspring of negative energy with which to empower undead and necromancers - but they are two sides of the same coin.

"I have no wish to argue further. You desire my sword at your side when you face your greatest foes, and I am glad to give it. But I will not be unmade for a cause that is not my own."

14. - Top - End - #74

Yara sits down.
    "Feronax betrayed me first," Yara said. "And as to murder, I had surprisingly little to do with his death. Feronax led his army to their deaths while he tried to seize power, he betrayed you all. I did what I could to save the survivors."

Wait, why am I even arguing with him... focus.

"My business and Gunn's. We need to get to Old Ganthar in anyway possible and fast. Preferably straight to the mountain where the gods made a pact long ago, or at least within a few hundred miles of it. And you are a teleporter. Can you get us there?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The psion shrugs. "Seems to me you know a bit about psychoportation," he observes. "I can manifest teleport, but I have to have seen the place I'm going. Preferably to have been there, got to know it well. I've never been to Old Ganthar, and wouldn't have a clue where this mountain might be. You overcomethat
    and I'll gladly ferry you there."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"I was not aware, I am sorry I brought it up. As for forcing you to do something Melchizar I have said it once already and I will keep doing so until the day I die. I will not force you to do anything. To do so would take away your free will and make whatever good or evil you do not worth what it would mean if you choose to do it yourself." she explains to the ancient vampire, making it clear she would much rather he decide his course of actions when performing a task.

Hearing that both he and the betrayer in their purest forms were Anathema though in different forms shocked Rosalind slightly. "Prophecies are never easy, nor the things the gods ask of us. You say the Betrayer is one part of Anathema and you are the other. yet you agree to help me destroy him and return what was stolen to the Mother so long as you remain unchanged. I can promise I will take no part in nor aid in your destruction Melchizar so long as you do not go back on your word. You have given me much to consider Melchizar thank you. If you wouldn't mind when you are not going around keeping the balance and doing the duty you were born for I would very much enjoy another conversation with you on any topic." she says before holding her hand up to the cage and looking to the others to make sure none would stop her, before releasing him from his prison.

17. - Top - End - #77

Yara nods.
    "That's what I've tasked the others to do. I'll bring us back once you've finished here."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    With a shrug, Manny settles down to finish what remains of his meal. He glances up periodically, uncomfortable under your gaze, and puts aside his cutlery with a sigh after a few more mouthfuls.

"No, I guess I don't feel much like eating after all.
    Let's get going."

19. - Top - End - #79

Yara leans across the table, grabbing a piece of bacon in one hand and Manny in the other.
    "Then off we go."
    (Dream Travel)

(Is Rosalind releasing Melchizar?)
    (Can she do that? I forgot the conditions. I thought it was Theo or Yara who could do that.)
    (Also, Yara's coming right back, he now hates her. Please no.)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Before Rosalind can free Melchizar, Yara and Manny reappear in the Temple, the former clutching a rasher of greasy and slightly overcooked bacon. Melchizar's expression shows his revulsion plainly, but he refrains from drawing his blade.

Sighing, he settles back down on the ground. "I can see I must wait a while longer. Well, I have waited generations; I can wait another day or two.
    Just make sure I'm not stuck in this box when the avatar of Maltur comes for you."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

- While Rosalind was chatting with Melchizar, Theo was seeking his theurge, tasking her with producing a scroll of Scrying that we might be able to use. Were that insufficient, Theo sends one of the acolytes with a purse of money to get the needed scroll. -

Theo walks in on his office, returning with haste. He sees Rosalind putting her hand up to the cage and says What are you doing??

And then Yara reappears, with the psion she sought out. Rest assured, Theo said to Melchizar. We will be at full strength to fight Maltur. We will smash him and commit his remains to the Infinite. He looks to Rosalind - When the time is right.

Theo then turns to Yara. I see you are ready. Shall we begin? You told us that you are to pray at the mountain in Old Ganthar. Do you know what will lay between us and the mountaintop? And do you know what you will do when you get there?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2020-07-15 at 09:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Yara hungrily gobbles down the bacon, she hadn't eaten today, and ponders Theo's questions.
    "I've just been told to get to the mountain and pray. Hopefully nothing lies in the way, I plan to get right to the top straight away. Old Ganthar is dangerous though, so I'll probably need you as guards if anything shows up. Haven't thought of a suitable prayer yet, I'll come up with something."

While she waits for the scrying to begin, she paces about the room aimlessly, stopping occasionally in front of Melchizar to stare at him. Being helpless in the attempt to save her life made her restless and impatient.

23. - Top - End - #83

"Alright then. Let's do this." Gunn says.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

As a man who prays, I can tell you that it isn't rehearsing old words. Open up your heart to the Righteous and be earnest and vulnerable. Theo said patiently. The gods can see right through to our core, they know when you're honest and know when you are hiding.

And I will stand watch and guard you, all along the way.
    Theo said as he put his hand on the shoulder of the giantess, she with a seed of the divine. We need the Chalice to succeed, and if you bring it back restored to it's former state, I'll owe you a debt beyond calculating.

When Gunn mentioned that it was time they were off, Theo nods, and produces the scroll of scrying. Mr Gunn, if you would please, look to Old Ganthar and plot our course.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Gunn nods, accepting the scroll, and begins casting the spell using a suitable nearby focus.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    - While Rosalind was chatting with Melchizar, Theo was seeking his theurge, tasking her with producing a scroll of Scrying that we might be able to use. Were that insufficient, Theo sends one of the acolytes with a purse of money to get the needed scroll. -

Theo walks in on his office, returning with haste. He sees Rosalind putting her hand up to the cage and says What are you doing??

And then Yara reappears, with the psion she sought out. Rest assured, Theo said to Melchizar. We will be at full strength to fight Maltur. We will smash him and commit his remains to the Infinite. He looks to Rosalind - When the time is right.

Theo then turns to Yara. I see you are ready. Shall we begin? You told us that you are to pray at the mountain in Old Ganthar. Do you know what will lay between us and the mountaintop? And do you know what you will do when you get there?
    When Theo ask's what Rosalind is doing she looks at him as if the answer was obvious. However when Yara appears once more she lets out a resigned sigh. "To redeem your goddess we keep adding more and more things to the list instead of simply doing the task. The chalice needs to be redeemed and thus helping Yara is not only a thing a good friend would do, but also helps your cause. Allowing Melchizar to be out of his cage for more then a day before you expect him to do battle is also a wise decision. I doubt he has been able to practice as he would like in a long time and he could use the time in our plane actually preparing for the battle you need him for. Keep in mind he is a member of my faith Theo on a mission I asked for help. Just as you asked for help with the mission we are doing now and before that your sword. I didn't tell you what to do with it or how to use you faith when you asked for aid, I would like it very much if you stayed out of my own faiths affairs. Melchizar and you had a deal, and it seems he is content with starting with the immortals who reside in hell first to resume his duties. Why are you stopping me every time he agrees to help us? Keeping him locked in a cage after he has agreed to help is foolish and dangerous as it shows you are going back on your word. I will not compromise myself for YOUR beliefs any longer. Melchizar when you are released do you promise to not kill Yara?" Sister Rosalind asks him before adding. "If she is out of your sight when you are released will it be easier?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Rosalind's insistence to release the vampire had always worried Yara before, even more now that Melchizar was personally after her.

"Rosalind, he is not a member of your faith. He is a figure in it, a betraying figure that led to Valacles gaining power, but not a member. He does not share your beliefs or your values. He is a much a member of your faith as I am. Or any evil undead, specifically created with your faith's stolen power. Melchizar is a threat to all gods which makes him a threat to all faiths and possibly the whole world. His fate can't solely be left to you merely because he was created by your gods. If we are to release him we need a well defined contract, which now must specifically mention not murdering me, and preferably a way to stop him should he break it."

"Also, did Theo just say that Maltur is coming?"

28. - Top - End - #88

Oh good, Gunn thinks silently to himself, unwilling to distract himself from the casting of the spell, Let's keep fighting--I don't really want to go to Old Ganthar anyway.

Show
    seriously, what if the ending to this amazing story we've been telling is, "and the heroes were unable to put aside their differences for the greater good, so their enemies attacked them individually and slaughtered them--except Gunn, who got everything he wanted.

also seriously--any contract we make needs an enforcement mechanism that none of us can provide, since we can't harm Melchizar.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Gunn focuses the mystic energies needed to scry on your destination, Melchizar regards Rosalind wearily.

"I will make no such vow," he says quietly. "I cannot sit and exchange pleasantries with an abomination.

"This I will offer, child of Kirest. Keep this barrier between me and your nascent godling for now. Free me when Maltur is at hand, and I will give you my word to fight him first and then depart, leaving her unharmed. For I will prioritise which abomination I kill first.

"Lay your hand here,"
    he continues, indicating a sigil on the surface of the cage. "You will bind the spell that frees me to you, that wherever you are - on this or any other plane - you can summon me to side."

As he finishes speaking, the surface of the mirror Gunn has chosen for his focus clouds over. At first, you wonder if the spell has failed; then you realise that there is texture and motion to the whiteness. You are seeing a mountain at the heart of a snowstorm, a raging blizzard making it all but impossible to see detail.

But Manny regards the scene intently, and nods decisively. "Adequate," he pronounces. "Ready when you give the word, Gunn."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

As Melchizar tells her about the sigil and being able to move the binding to herself so she could free him from anywhere she looks at him directly. "I am putting my trust in you Melchizar that you did not deceive me into weakening your prison or freeing you to slaughter Yara." Sister Rosalind says before raising her hand up and placing it on the sigil. It was a small act of trust to be sure, however it could be a step the others needed to begin to trust what he said to be true.

Show
    Knowledge Arcane (1d20+1)[12] to see if that sounds right
    Knowledge Religion to see if the symbol seems to add up with what he is saying (1d20+20)[36]
    Sense Motives to see what he is actually thinking at this moment (1d20+11)[17]

If any of these come up as dubis intent or she believes it could weaken the cage endanger those in the room she won't place her hand on the symbol without letting those better equip in the arcane to study it.