New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

The magic used to create this prison is ancient and powerful, beyond even Rosalind's skill. That should hardly be surprising considering who created it. Still, so far as Rosalind can tell, what Melchizar says is true. Trusting to her intuition, she lays a hand on the indicated sigils.

Arcane symbols form in the air around Rosalind's hand, formed of shimmering silver energy. Moving sinuously, they twine around her outstretched arm, sinking into her flesh. As the light fades, it marks her skin in a complex tattoo, all twisting lines and archaic glyphs.

Melchizar regards Rosalind with an inscrutable expression, then shakes his head. He says nothing further, merely settling down to wait.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

While Theo waits on Gunn to finish scrying, he moves to stand next to Yara. There would not be a moment where his sword could not protect the half-giant. Where you go, I go. I will not leave your side until it is time for your prayer. I fear that you will be alone in the presence of the divine, but I am confident you will emerge afterwards cured and whole. Are you ready?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

When everyone is ready, Gunn gives the signal to Manny to teleport them to Old Ganthar.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You experience a familiar surge of vertigo as Manny wrenches you across thousands of miles in a matter of seconds. To add to your discomfort, the second you reappear - still fighting to hold onto your stomachs - you are plunged into bitterly cold conditions, into howling winds that whip icy shrapnel into your faces and drifts of snow up to your knees that hamper movement. The air is thin here, threatening to sap your strength quickly, and visibility is no more than ten feet in any direction.

But Gunn's senses are not hampered by such things. To his Mindsense, two presences blazing on the mountainside are immediately apparent. One is an ancient and powerful devil of considerable intellect (INT 26).

The other is Natalia.

So it is that Gunn alone is unsurprised when the priestess's voice is heard shouting over the storm:

"Welcome to the Mountain of the First Covenant, my friends. We have much to discuss."

Ahead of you, you can dimly make out the warm light of a fire. While the wind does strange things to sound, Gunn can confirm Natalia is at the source of the light.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Thank you Theo," Yara says with a sad smile. "I only hope deserve your dedication."
    She thinks of the upcoming ritual. can they both get what they want? Can both Charis be restored and Dalvar's power repurposed to the greater good? Or will she be able to choose only one?

(Atop the mountain)
    Yara internally screamed as she heard Natalia's voice. Not done with just poisoning her it seems. Was her invisible devil here too? What about the rest, anyone could be hiding in the storm.
    "Hi Natalia..."
    Spoiler: Mind blanks for Everyone
    Show

You get a mind blank and you get a mind blank. Everybody gets a mind blank.
    Yara manifests mind blank on everyone.

"...fancy seeing you here..."
    Spoiler: Energy Conversion
    Show
    Only Yara gets an energy conversion. Energy Resist 30 + Rays

"Don't mean to be rude but can it wait a bit, I have a date with a god and I really don't want to miss it."
    Spoiler: Empathy and Null
    Show
    Sensing surface emotions as per Empathy. Preparing Null Psionics in case of hostile power use.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

"If it cannot wait, you'll have to walk and talk, Natalia. We are on a mission with life on the line." Theo said, all the while contemplating the significance of the location. The Mountain of the First Covenant; what a grand name for such a desolate place. Theo wondered if the snow fell as thick then as it does now, or if gods are even hampered by snow to begin with.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

7. - Top - End - #97

Just go along with it, Gunn whispers telepathically to Natalia. And rest assured, we're on the same side. Glancing at Rosalind, he adds, Well, I am at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+31)[49]

Even I don't know whose side Gunn is on. Maybe he is telling the truth, maybe he's lying, WHO KNOWS?!?!?!?
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As you draw closer, you can see that the fiery glow is coming from a rectangular opening in the air: visually it looks like the doorway of a tent, perhaps enchanted to be invisible when the entrance is closed. Or perhaps it is a portal to another plane; certainly the climate within looks far warmer and more welcoming than the blizzard where you find yourselves.

Natalia stands inside, reeping the benefits of the warmer surroundings. Beside the opening, in the open air, stands the devil Gunn sensed earlier: a twelve foot humanoid shrouded in batlike wings, drawn around it like some grotesque cape, its horned visage everything you might associate with the archetypal demon. It is shrouded in flame, even in these conditions, and radiates a palpable aura of unholiness.

"I'm afraid not, Theo. For you are engaged on a quest that violates the very core of the Sentinel Accords. In the name of my Lord Valacles, I formally object to your presence here and your efforts to restore the Chalice - and through it, Charis Herself.

"If you proceed, I will have no choice but to consider you in breach of the Accords your own Goddess instituted. And the consequences would be severe.

"So sit and talk with me. Surely we can negotiate a peaceful solution, given time and will enough. Let us pass a few comfortable days in debate, that the alliance which holds back the demonic horde even now might not be needlessly imperilled."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

As the group was teleported to an unknown place, Sister Rosalind did her best to protect those with her as best she could given the tools at her disposal and the short time she had to prepare. Thankfully the bittercold seemed to do nothing to the woman who walked around barefoot in a burlap sack type dress or else she no doubt would have frozen to death up on this mountain. She could only hope those with her also had ways to stay warm as the one voice she wished not to hear spoke up from the distance.

Remaining quite Rosalind listened to what all parties had to say before seeing the smallest of flaws in Natalia's logic and pointing it out to all among them. "Lady Natalia is not Realth a part of these accords as well? Did not Charis fall so that the gods of god and evil could fight side by side in the purpose of law to hold back the demonic hordes?" she asks waiting for the response she suspected would follow, along with the rebuke that the woman would no doubt use. She could only hope Theo saw the same link as herself and began to chip away at it as well for he was more well versed in the accords then she herself was.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Natalia smiles at you. "The Accords place different obligations upon each signatory, and grant differing rights of enforcement. We are here concerned with the obligations owed by Charis and Her followers to Valacles and His. Relath can go jump for all I care."

The priestess beckons you on. "Now, shall we discuss this inside like civilised people, or do you want to keep yelling and freezing your backsides off?"

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo bites back his tongue at first, fully knowing that he wanted to spit in Natalia's face for all she has done to stand in his way. But not yet, the entire house of cards would fall soon enough, but they had to fall at precisely the right time.

Natalia, he said into the blustering snow piling at their feet. You may accuse me of what you will, but you are looking for conflict where there is not one. Yara has been tasked by the Temple of Relath, and I am here in aid of her. Truly, were it not for Yara, I'd be in my Temple performing my duties as High Priest. Instead, I must be here under my duties as Champion. Your suspicions are unfounded and I will not deign you with some meeting when my holy duty is to protect Yara.

He waited for the shock of his words to fall. My elder priest once told me that it is the way of our temple was Duty, Honor, and Justice. I will not stray from that path because you are suspicious. Yara had been released into my care after Judgment from My Lady, Charis Herself. I had promised to help earn Yara's life back, and to deliver her to Charis for her coming second trial. Yara is restoring her soul upon this mountaintop, and I promised her that I would be there every step of the way.

So if you want to press rights under the Accords, you may speak to me or my lawyer, or take it up with Charis Herself. But Mister Gunn is coming with me, so if you'd like to speak to either of us on what privileges you claim to press, you may walk and talk.

Or freeze here. Though your fate is not my concern, I would gladly leave my healer to accompany you in the endeavor. She is just as eager to talk as you are; no doubt the two of you could spend hours in the snow.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Gunn raises an eyebrow as he looks from Rosalind, to Natalia, to Theo, then back to Natalia. "Sounds like we'd rather keep freezing our butts off. Unless you've got Endure Elements prepared," he throws away with a wink.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Natalia is silent for a moment, seemingly having not expected such an able retort from you.

"I do not deny that you are in a difficult position," she says at last, her voice soft. "To fulfil your duty to Relath, you must breach your duty to Valacles. But make no mistake: there is a conflict of duty here. Continue up this mountain, on a course so firmly in opposition to my Master, and He will have just grievance against you and your Lady under the Accords. And until that wrong is righted, He will be within His rights to suspend all services He is providing under the Accords.

"Hear, then, what General Mescartes has to say on the matter. General?"

The devil clears his throat before speaking with a cultured baritone at odds with his monstrous appearance.

"Indeed. At this time, there has been a concerted push by demonic forces loyal to Maltur, focusing on a Way held by part of Relath's celestial host. The Crusader is sorely pressed, and the Sentinel has despatched a force of Her own to shore up the defences. At the same time, She has invoked the Accords to despatch a legion of devils in a counter attack, a precision strike at the leaders of the demon horde.

"Alas, if we are prevented from making that counter attack, there will be no relief from the pressure on the defending forces. Casualties will be substantial."

Natalia speads her arms in a gesture of helplessness. "There we have it. Of course, there is an alternative. If you quit the field, Theo, then the Accords will no longer be imperilled. Let these others proceed without you. I am sure the General will be glad to accompany them in your stead."

14. - Top - End - #104

Gunn listens to Natalia's words, and the Devil's, attempting to discern the truth. Sense Motive: (1d20+20)[36] He whispers telepathically to Theo: It's a stalling tactic.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2020-07-28 at 09:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo listens to Gunn's words. Or he listens to Gunn's thoughts. In this matter they are one in the same; Natalia may or may not be bluffing, but her motive is clear. Theo had to choose his words carefully, but he would not cede ground to the woman.

In fact, Theo thought he could turn the tables on her.

I am not in a difficult position. You are trying to put me in a difficult position. All you have done is shout accusations and hope that I'll let my charge die. You haven't even elaborated why my helping Yara in her mission with our ally is in violation of the Accords. To the hells, the Chalice was in your temple when it was put in this state. I don't expect you to help in restoring the artifact to its former state, but to stand in the way is treachery.

Theo's voice began to thunder above the wind in anger. Not enough to start an avalanche, but enough that nobody could mishear his words. And if it weren't enough that I am amending your past failure, you try and use that to refuse aid to Charis. How dare you. I will not stand here and take another word from you. If you refuse to answer the call, then that is yet another of your failures. Send assistance to Relath's host, or I name you oathbreaker.

Theo turned to his team, put his hand on Yara's shoulder to reassure her that he wasn't leaving her side, and said to the others. We are here in aid of Yara, not to tarry with Natalia. We have lost precious minutes already. We are leaving. He began to leave his party up the mountain. Gunn, keep alert. Natalia wants me out of the picture. Don't relax until she is out of range.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Yara speaks to Natalia before she follows Theo.

"Theo is here as a witness only. He has no influence over the Chalice or involvement in its purification. Once the Chalice is purified it will be returned to Relath's temple. You have no reason to object to or obstruct this mission as it has only the goals of saving my life and restoring an important artifact of your ally. Charis can not be redeemed while Maltur lives, leaving your accusations as paranoia and threats as treachery. Until such a time, do not get in my way again."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Natalia weathers Theo's fury in silence, and makes no move to stop you as you march past her. The devil bridles, and for a moment you think it means to attack; but a gesture from Natalia restrains it.

Even so, the frigid climb up the treacherous mountainside is a tense one. It is not until Natalia and her pet devil slip out of range of Gunn's Mindsight that the tension begins to ease.

The going gets steeper as you press on to the summit, making it a real challenge to continue.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    if you want to proceed on foot, I'd like a Climb check from each of you - or you can use any magic that might assist.

18. - Top - End - #108

Yara activates her flight, using her strength to aid those unable to fly or climb.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Perseus bounds up the steep incline like a mountain goat, well used to traversing harsh terrain after a lifetime in Ironshield lands. From time to time he pauses to help Gunn up the mountain, compensating for the other's inexperience.

Yara, for her part, draws on the psionic gifts inherent within her to bypass the challenge, lifting herself through the air by force of will alone.

Theo, laden down by his armour, struggles the most, slipping as a rock he thought to use for a foothold falls away beneath him. Without timely intervention he might have plummeted to his death; but Yara grabs him just in time, lifting him up the mountain by main force.

Manny follows Yara's example, flying up the mountain and keeping a close watch on Rosalind, supporting her as needed to reach the summit.

After half an hour of steady climbing, you emerge through the clouds to a lofty peak. You are above the storm here, although the air is dangerously thin at this altitude.

Spoiler: OOC - altitude dangers
    Show
    If you take a standard or full round action, make a Fortutide save against DC 15. Failure means you take 2d6 nonlethal damage, which you may roll for yourself.

You are still out of sight of the summit when Gunn draws up short.

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Your telepathy reveals that there are minds on the summit. One is a humanoid of moderate intelligence (Int 10). Another is a fiend very similar to the one Natalia had summoned, although not the same one (Int 26); a second, different in kind but almost as cunning, is also in evidence (Int 22) together with a group of six lesser fiends that are plainly of a kind (Int 12)

Show
    Roll initiative. Because of the advance warning from Gunn, you get one round to act freely. Note that you are still 100’ short of the summit and those climbing move at one quarter speed.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

As the group left Sister Rosalind stayed close to the edge of the group, tagging a bit behind them as to best protect Yara with her magic circle against any deceitful tricks from the devil or its mistress. So when they make it to a point where they must begin climbing the priestess visibly relaxes. "I didn't think she would let us pass with so little resistance, I fear what she is going to do at your temple while you are here Theo. She has already made it clear her lord will not hold up his end of the accords after this and she knows Niall will no doubt see things her way as well in this and will try to splinter your church. I hope you have a good speech ready for your people." Sister Rosalind says concerned for her friend. She understood the reason he was walking the path he was, she could only hope it did not break him.

When Gunn warns them of their enemies above she curses, knowing that it was to good to be true that she would not have tried to stop them. "I can't promise this will help fully, however devils do like fire, I can only hope these ones do as well." Sister Rosalind says before casting a spell, protecting the group from fire type attacks.

Spoiler: Mass Resist Energy Fire
    Show
    Every one has Fire Resistance 30 for the next 160 minutes
    Also would we be taking the 2d6 damage due to needing to breath, as Rosalind doesn't need to breath.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Niall has long mistrusted Natalia, but no doubt he will not like the words he hears of this before we return. If we have time, it would do well to cast a Sending to him to relay the truth. All the same, my Temple will endure or it won't. We have gone too far to turn back now. Theo said stoically, not meeting the priestess's gaze at all and brushing her concern to the path behind them. Niall and others were in the room when Michel relayed the dire warnings of Charis. The coming strife has been foretold.

The way up the slope had turned steep, and Theo stumbled more than once. When Gunn calls for a halt and describes the fiends in front of them, Theo cautioned. They might not be aggressive. The Pact stands, and we do not know if these are from Natalia or on different purpose. It could be that Valacles sees to protecting these mountains. Be wary, but do not provoke them into attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112

Yara finds a flat enough section to sit upon.
    "We shouldn't provoke them," she agrees, "But I fear the worst. And in these conditions I may not last long. So I shall prepare."

That said, she leaves her body behind. Her incorporeal self flies into Theo's sword. Her psicrystal remains hovering near her body to keep it safe.

Show
    Steelsteal.
    Fort Save: [roll]1d20+16[roll] for air
    Initiative: (1d20)[8]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Above, Gunn senses the minds reacting to your presence. They seem sluggish in comparison to him, giving plenty of time for preemptive action.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Gunn & Perseus 23
    Fiends 22
    Yara 8
    Theo 7
    Rosalind 4

24. - Top - End - #114

Gunn casts Haste on the party, while Perseus activates his boots of flying, moving as close as he can to the enemies without getting out of range for any additional spells to be cast on him by Rosalind, Yara, or Theo.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Approaching the summit, Perseus finally catches sight of their destination. At one point, it must have been a holy place. It is dominated by three statues, two of which can be identified from their remains as Charis and Relath, within a circle of standing stones. The weather worn stones are still marked with the remnants of inscriptions, although it is not now possible to read what is written there. An altar of stone sits at the precise centre of the circle.

Even without a particularly strong faith, it is impossible not to feel revulsion at what has been done here. Fresh blood and faeces have been smeared over every surface. The statues have been torn down and given the same treatment. On the altar lie the remains of a woman who has been horrifically tortured to death.

The raven haired woman presiding over this atrocity wears unfamiliar, diaphanous golden robes, the silver holy symbol around her neck marking her as a cleric - though of what deity, Perseus cannot guess. That it is not Valacles is good enough.

There are three types of devil in evidence: a twelve-foot crimson humanoid creature with horns and bat like wings, with no weapons but its own formidable claws and teeth; a second similarly sized creature, this one ice blue and insect like, wielding a barbed spear; and eight seven-foot humanoid devils, their pale and hairless bodies covered in bony spikes. As you watch, the smaller fiends continue their campaign of desecration - but the larger two leap to the attack.

The chitinous blue devil bounds forward and makes a gesture with its free hand, sending a cone of ice cascading towards Perseus.

Spoiler: Cone of Cold
    Show
    44 cold damage, reflex dc 19 for half.

The other devil spreads its wings and launches itself aloft, passing within 20Â’ of Perseus. As it does so, the heroic warrior feels unnatural fear rising within him, and has to struggle against the tide of panic.

Spoiler: Fear aura
    Show
    DC 27 Will save or become panicked.

Regarding the rest of the party where they are struggling up the mountain, the devil smiles menacingly and makes an unmistakably magical gesture with each hand - a different spell with each. Viridian energy twists down the mountain, snakelike, and tries to ensnare each of you; at the same time, a sphere of flame erupts in your midst, engulfing you in terrible heat.

Spoiler: Mass hold monster
    Show
    DC 27 Will save or become paralysed. If you fail the save, you can retry each round on your turn.

Spoiler: Quickened fireball
    Show
    32 fire damage before taking resistances into account, DC 21 Reflex save for half

Show
    Yara, Theo and Rosalind can now act.

26. - Top - End - #116

When Theo teleports ahead, Yara focuses on the ceremony. While not the immediate threat, who knew what would result. The devil's certainly think it important.

She reaches forwards into their minds, hoping to seize control.
    "Kill the priestess," she commands, directing them towards their human companion.

Spoiler: Dominate
    Show
    Targeting 4 of the lesser devils at the ceremony. DC 22 Will or Dominated 1 Hour.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo, sensing Yara's presence within the Sword of Tariel, knows that he must protect his charge. And yet, he cannot do so without engaging the devils in combat. He had no choice, and decided to close the distance between he and the assailants.

Theo cast Dimension Door, putting himself up next to the altar so that his enemies would all have to be in front to physically attack. He notices the priestess presiding over this desecration, and remarks. You have made a terrible mistake; and now you must pay for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    swift action is to use Law Devotion to give Theo more armor, giving him a +7 sacred bonus to AC
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

As the others go off to battle Sister Rosalind makes her way up to Yara's body and takes on a defensive stance around it, this way her aura would still protect her allies and keep the devils away from Yara and herself before she casts a spell hoping to weaken the devils for the others.

Spoiler: Moon Bolt
    Show
    This will hit the big guy and the ice devil if they are within 15ft of each other, if not big guy and the priestess
    (5d4)[17] str damage Fort DC 26 for half
    Big guy sr (1d20+15)[25]
    Ice devil/ or priestess depending on position (1d20+15)[24]

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rosalind sends a blast of silvery energy at the two most powerful devils, hoping to weaken them for the fight ahead. The blast strikes a pair of identical cobalt barriers, dissipating to no effect on the fiends' arcane defences.

Yara is more successful, breaking two of the four devils she targeted to her will. They turn to regard the priestess with naked hostility, slathering in anticipation of the violence ahead.

As Theo appears in the midst of the desecrated holy site, he feels deeply profaned by what he sees around him. He senses that the corruption goes beneath the superficial, attacking at the spiritual nature of this once holy site.

Spoiler: Unhallow
    Show
    An unhallow spell has been cast on this area. Theo would sense the magic circle against good tied to that, but has no information yet on the secondary spell effect accompanying it.

The devils' mistress regards Theo with a faint smile. One hand goes to the unholy symbol at her chest - a gleaming silver representation of two nude figures entwined together.

"Father Roost. It is you who has erred in coming here. Now you will pay the price for your foolishness."

Show
    Gunn & Perseus 23
    Fiends 22
    Yara 8
    Theo 7
    Rosalind 4

30. - Top - End - #120

Perseus manages to avoid most of the Cone of Cold, and flies into the rage that accompanies battle, regaining a portion of his spent vitality and then some. Rather than engaging the massive devils, Perseus tactically opts to attack the cleric, hurling himself at her in a barrage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Leap Attack, Power Attack, Raging, Reckless Charge. Bardic Inspiration, Haste, Blessing.

(1d20+35)[54], (1d10+44)[47]
    (1d20+35)[49], (1d10+44)[46]
    (1d20+30)[44], (1d10+44)[48]
    (1d20+25)[39], (1d10+44)[48]
    (1d20+20)[32], (1d10+44)[46]

Gunn then attempts to dismiss one of the larger batwinged devils. (Will Save DC 42-HD of Creature).