New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

"You know I can not agree to that just as you could never agree to openly admitting your client is guilty when you are supposed to defend them." Sister Rosalind says clearly frustrated with situation. "If anyone kills that creature in cold blood the weight of their sins will rest heavily on their shoulders until they atone for what they did." she warns as she watches it begin to stir and its wounds slowly beginning to heal.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn nods to Perseus, who charges the now conscious and no longer defenseless fiend. He will allow Rosalind one chance to defuse the situation diplomatically, but at the first sign of hostility, will charge the most evil opponent they have encountered thus far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying a charge with all the usual buffs:

(1d20+35)[46], (1d10+44)[54]
    (1d20+35)[53], (1d10+44)[54]
    (1d20+30)[44], (1d10+44)[53]
    (1d20+25)[38], (1d10+44)[50]
    (1d20+20)[21], (1d10+44)[45]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"Devil I know you are starting to awaken and no doubt are surprised to still be alive. I offer you this one chance to save your own life for my allies are more than eager to simply kill you and be done with it, if you understand what I am saying and accept to speak with me and not try to teleport away or attack anyone here and now I can promise that until you and I are done talking or diplomacy has failed your life will be safe. What say you for I know a devil while evil will never tell a lie and if you give me your word I will trust you." Sister Rosalind says, as the chains seem ready to tighten once more at a moment's notice.

Spoiler: Diplomacy check
    Show

DC Improbable (1d20+35)[48]

Of note this is her simply trying to get him to listen to what she has to say, in return he gets to live so long as they are talking and trying to negotiate under the circumstances he doesn't try to flee or harm anyone. So this shouldn't be as hard as the whole "Hey can you go back up Charis and Realth's forces please. In return you get to live."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

As the party bickers over what is to be done with the fiend, Theo interjects. Kill it. Kill it and be done with it. Redemption or no, this desecration is a sin that carries a penalty of death, and we have more important things to do with no time to spare. He enters into the argument.

Spoiler
    Show
    pretend Theo has more to say on the same subject, and pretend there is a back and forth, so Theo is equally occupied for hte time it takes the devil to start to stir.

The devil begins to blink, slowly coming to its senses. Theo reacts with the religious fervor of a man standing on desecrated holy land. He steps forward and joins the battle against the restrained foe.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Flanking with Perseus, power attack for 5
    (1d20+25)[34] for (5d6+27)[51]
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The devil lazily opens one eye, a sneer on its face.

"I think not,"
    it says, gathering its power and starting to form an arcane gesture.

But Perseus was ready for this. Hurling himself at the fiend, he chops off the hand the devil was using to cast. Not stopping there, he proceeds to hack the fiend asunder, Brunhilda turning dark with fiendish ichor.

Manny gingerly approaches, looking from the slaughtered remains of your foes to the desecrated ruin on all sides.

"Well, this is all moderately horrifying."
    Shaking his head, he looks to Gunn. "What do you need me to do?"

6. - Top - End - #156

Gunn looks to Theo for direction. With a little effort and a few judicious applications of Prestidigitation, he soon cleans up the obvious degradation of the Temple. The holier aspects would require someone with different skills.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2020-09-06 at 03:00 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

As the fiend refuses to surrender and begins to gather its strength for one last attack Sister Rosalind speaks. "May you find the rest you seek by the Mothers side." and as she finishes Perseus axe finds its mark chopping off the creatures hand from attacking before doing much worse horrifying things.

"The only way to make this work is to undo the work they have done, to reconsecrate this place Manny. Problem is our best bet will take far to long as it requires an entire day to cast the spell. I do have an idea though, it will rely on everyone to work as a focused group however if we are to stand a chance of marginal success." Sister Rosalind says as she walks over to where the Altar stands and lays her hand upon it, trying to allow the golden ice that tried to crystallize evil creatures she fought to begin to form crystal pillars in this corrupted space.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Only doing one for this moment as if it doesn't work no point in typing out a big long post.

Knowledge Religion to perform a special ritual she is making up on the spot (1d20+20)[21]
    Perform Sing (1d20+21)[25] To help her focus the energies she is trying to work
    Concentration check (obvious reasons) (1d20+15)[24]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The enemy believe themselves to have won. The sacred place has been profaned, the link to Relath suppressed if not severed. Perhaps with time this place could be cleansed, made holy once again - but by then the undead demigod that was once Charis will have broken free, causing immeasurable harm.

Trying to undo this desecration with the tools at hand feels like responding to a wild fire by spitting at it.

Even so, Rosalind gathers herself, beginning to pour holy power out on this violated mountaintop - and as she does so, as the first crystalline pillar forms beneath her hand, she realises a profound truth.

This site has been a holy place for generations, instilled with the faith of nations. Compared to that, this corruption is a paltry thing - a greasy oil slick upon a vast ocean. That ancient power yearns to break through - you need only give it a chance to do so.

And there is something else that strikes her. You are here to commune with Relath, the Crusader, the god who upholds the righteous when they go forth to battle the forces of evil. His power, by its very nature, shines forth brightest in the places of greatest darkness.

It is all a lie, a featherweight deception to make you think there is no hope. Perhaps the devils believe the lie themselves; but, in the end, all evil amounts to that great lie, that conviction that redemption is impossible.

For there is nothing - not man or monster, not curses or devils, not squallor or decay, not even the weight of sin in Yara's own soul - that will stop Him from answering the honest prayer of one who truly believes.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

As the first crystalline pillar forms Rosalind feels the deep power within this place fighting against the corruption that has so recently take place. What she and no doubt the others thought at first for this place to be fully corrupted was in fact a lie as she feels the ancient power from all the years this place has been a holy site bubbling just beneath the surface waiting for the right catalyst to break free. "Everyone this place is not fully corrupted, Realth always fights the darkness so finding his power here is easy once you know where to look." she says as she moves to another one of the areas she senses is about to burst through on its own and forms a crystalline pillar there. She does this over and over again forming a circle around Yara and the others until at last she is finished.

"The power of this place will cleanse it, the only thing it needed was a little help clearing of the shadow covering it. Perseus is their anything you can do with Runes to strengthen this place?" Sister Rosalind asks before turning to Gunn. "And is there a way you can make Yara's prayers heard louder than they normally would by adding our own voices to them mentally?"

Turning next to Theo she pauses for a moment before smiling. "Will you serve as Charis once did, as the shield of the righteous so that we may complete this ritual Yara must do?"

Once she had her answer from everyone she looked to Yara. " I will try to focus my power through the pillars, it will get very bright here however you must keep praying. I cannot tell you what to pray for or even how to, it must be you as this is your quest. I can only aid you in making sure you get that chance. Whenever you are ready Yara let me know and I will begin." Sister Rosalind says before moving over to one of the pillars and getting ready to channel her powers through the crystals and hopefully harmonize with the ancient powers buried just below the surface.

10. - Top - End - #160

Perseus nods. "My knowledge of the runes is admittedly dwarfed by my colleagues, but I will do what I can." (Knowledge: (1d20+1)[19])

Gunn smirks at Perseus's unintentional pun. "For my part, I have never attempted to link minds before, but I could try."

Within their heads, his voice echoes: Open your minds to me, and let your thoughts be linked as one. He briefly considers the unintended consequences of this, and the power he might gain over his companions, but while that might have tempted him in his younger days, he feels no compulsion to coerce them now. To what end, after all? He has all that he has ever sought.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

For the first time it what feels like ages, Sister Rosalind opens up her mind to Gunn, allowing her thoughts to flow like water as she does so. Through their connection she shares with each member her vision of the crystals and the power she can sense of this holy place harmonizing cleansing the taint from this place as the power of each of them flows into Yara through Gunn making her voice strong and clear to Realth. Theo standing guard as Charis did so long ago as the shield of righteousness so Yara's plea can be heard, and Perseus using the runes of his people to make sure no evil creature could defile this place once more as the power harnessed through the crystals repelled them.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Gradually, the vision becomes reality. In another time and place, perhaps this might not have worked; but here, now, the potent power of faith is sunk deep into the stone beneath you, eagerly answering and amplifying your efforts.

For Perseus, consciously working with rune magic for the first time, it is at once alien and oddly instinctive. For centuries, his people have been guarding this plane against the hostile attentions of Outsiders; and, more specifically, he has been prepared - when and how he does not yet know, although Durhelim seems a likely culprit - to be the nemesis of fiends and their ilk. There is a power within him that resonates with the purpose of this place: with Order standing resolute in the face of Chaos, with the bulwark and the sentry.

Linked to the others through the mental link - to the unyielding resolve of Theo, the timeless serenity of Rosalind, and the lightning swift intelligence of Gunn - he shares that unspoken sense of this place, and the four of you quietly align your wills with the Will that is focused here - obscured, perhaps, but ever watchful, ever waiting.

And as Gunn reaches out to the fifth member of this group, extending the channel to her, he gets a glimpse of what she is becoming: of the nascent power and presence and purpose within her.

Yara, for her part, feels as though a veil has parted. There is a sense of a consciousness impinging on her own - one of fire and fury and righteousness, yes, but also of purification, of the god who reaches into the dark places of this world to lift up the lost.

Part of her yearns toward that outstretched hand. Part of her wants to flee as far and as fast as she can.

But there is an invitation - and a sense that all the multiverse holds its breath.

Waiting for Yara.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yara opens her mouth to speak - and there is a sound like the rushing of a mighty river fills your ears, drowning out all other noise.

She starts to move - and a light brighter than the midday sun fills the mountaintop, preventing you from seeing what comes next.

When it fades, leaving you still blinking afterimages from your eyes, Yara is gone.

There is little time to contemplate this development, however. For the second time in a scant handful of seconds, the light around you changes, shifting to a sullen red. Your eyes are drawn to the north east, the direction of New Ganthar, where black, roiling cloud illuminated by crimson lightning dominates the horizon. To be seen from this distance, it must be truly vast; and it seems to be expanding.

There is a hum of electricity from Theo's side, and his enchanted hammer - a gift from the Kharheim delegation what seems like years ago, though in truth it was only weeks - flies free of its bindings to hover in the air before you.

The cold iron runes on the hammer are ablaze with blue and silver light. It begins to rotate, faster and faster; it seems as though you see two hammers, then three, then an endless succession all occupying the same space. It is enough to give a headache even to those well accustomed to dealing with supernatural forces.

Then the hanmer shatters - and in its place, blue and silver mist slewing away from him like water from an emerging swimmer, stands a grey-bearded dwarf in heavy furs and a cowled cape, runes tattooed onto his forehead and etched into his gleaming staff.

"- flee this place; for this is where the hammer falls! In twelve days, the world ends!"

He stumbles a step, using the staff to catch his balance. Frowning, he turns his gaze to the unnatural storm, then slowly regards each of you in turn. His eyebrows shoot up at the sight of Perseus; then, on seeing Theo, he closes his eyes and sighs.

"Time. Always, it is the resource that matters most - and that is most readily wasted."

Gathering himself, Thuril Drakeslayer channels magic, the runes of his staff blazing into light.

"I hope you are ready to fight, warriors. The end is here."

Show
    Thuril Drakeslayer was last seen in this post.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Bugbear in the Playground

(Not sure where the last post leaves Yara. She apparently disappears before she can speak. I'm going with that she doesn't notice so my original idea can still work)

While the others prepare, Yara mulls over what she could say. Should she try to impress him with her actions against Maltur? Or her mercy when her people invaded New Ganthar? What would make him accept her redemption. But one thought stuck around no matter which way her thoughts went. What made him worthy of giving it?
    During this time, she rearranged the body of the dead woman into a peaceful position and closed the corpse's eyes.

When she felt the time was right, she knelt in the center of the ruin with the Chalice before her. She closed her eyes and began to speak.
    (Presumably the thing happens now)
    "Relath. I have come to ask you to save my life and I have come to fix your mistakes. This site is where you, among many, pledged to protect Old Ganthar, protection you withdrew when the nobility failed to live up to their end. Because of this, an entire country was destroyed, its people either fled, dead or taken by the ilithids and their slave army. New Ganthar, with temples dedicated to your name, is rife with poverty and corruption that has led otherwise normal people to demon worship. And Charis herself is gone, forced to give up the parts of her that were good in order to protect the world and becoming a goddess responsible for many tragedies. I intend to change this.
    It was not long ago that I was a selfish person only looking for my own advancement. But what I have experienced has changed me. I believe that the world needs an active force for good, one who will strive to change things so that the offers of devils and demons can find no purchase. I intend that force to be me.
    From what I have learnt from Valacles, you were not always as you are now. I believe you were mortal once. Which means you must have been like I am now. I do not know why you sought godhood, or if you got what you wanted. I do not know if becoming a god will enable me to change the world or instead radically alter me to the point where my intentions no longer matter. But it is a risk I must take.
    With the Chalice in front of me, I intend to face what remains of the true Charis and purify her. It is perhaps the one bit of good I am sure I can accomplish. I cannot promise you that Charis will ever be fully restored or that my ascendance will not remove the best hope for this. But I do not believe that good can be accomplished by going back to the way things were. Not even gods are immune from time. Now that you have heard my intentions, will you help me build a better future?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Absorbed by your prayer, you hardly notice as the mortal world slips away. But gradually you realise that the air has grown plentiful and sweet; that the ever-present cold has been driven from your limbs.

There is more to it than that. In a life of near-constant battle, you have earned your share of scars, of injuries that healed well enough but still ache from time to time. The minor discomforts of life. Yet now they are gone.

Perhaps that should worry you. Instead, you are filled with a sense of deep peace; a rightness about where and who you are.

And there is a sound, faint but captivating, a music filled with wonder and beauty. You find yourself wishing you could hear the details - and sure that, if you did, you could never bring yourself to leave.

There is something here that defies explanation, that goes beyond words. It is like holding your child for the first time; like speaking your wedding vows; like, and yet unlike, so much more than any mortal mind can encompass.

Love. Pure and boundless.

And you open your eyes.

The figure before you, brighter than the midday sun and blazing with holy fire, crowned with living stars, could only be Relath.

The common conception of Him is of a bullish knight-errant, charging headlong into battle whenever evil presents itself. But seeing Him, you recognise the injustice of that image; that it is a parody that mocks what it cannot understand. Yes, there is Purpose here, a Purpose which opposes evil with a passion and a fury which no mortal can rival. But it is not a blind obsession - and it is only a part of who He is.

Looking upon you, His eyes show another side of Him: the side that rejoices in redemption.

"Well met, Sister,"
    He greets you, a sound like the explosion of a sun - yet somehow within your capacity to endure. "It gladdens My heart to see you here, setting your feet upon this path.

"Truly, we are in a season where the powers of darkness have been at their strongest. The light of Charis has been veiled from sight. Even now, the battle for your world is about to begin. But all We have done has been in readiness for this. Seasons change, Yara. Whether now we face a new spring or a bleak winter is largely dependent upon you.

"You stand upon the brink of transfiguration, Sister. In time, your gifts will grow so that you need hardly ask to know; but for now, I offer you answers. Before you leave your mortality behind, before we discover what manner of goddess you will become, have you questions for me?"

16. - Top - End - #166

Gunn takes his usual backseat to these discussions, the vagaries of the divine being beyond his meager mortal comprehension. But, for perhaps the first time in the time he has known this group, Perseus is prepared to speak. And, as always, he is succinct.

"I have prepared my entire life for this moment. For reasons I can never hope to comprehend, our ancestors saw fit to bring me to this place, at this time. War, conflict, combat--these are things I understand. Point me at the enemy. I am ready."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

The stunning scene that brought back the dwarf to his company left Theo briefly speechless; this magic was of a power he had not before seen, but Theo accepted it, once Thuril mentioned fighting.

Friend, you have been missed. There is no time to catch you up on everything that has happened these past several days, but suffice to say that everyone gathered here is present to oppose Maltur's threat to the Way Between Worlds, and through that save our mortal world from his hellish grip. But it is not the end - oh no, we have been winning this war every day since we have alst parted Theo said confidently. The question is not of us; are you ready, Brother Drakeslayer?
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

As the scene unfolds before her Sister Rolaids cannot help but notice that there were so many strange and mysterious things in this world that were unknown to most, at least this one time the universe seemed to be on their side. Waiting for the others to finish greeting Thuril Drakeslayer Sister Rosalind steps forward as the others finish talking and does a small bow of respect to the dwarf. "Greetings once again Thuril Drakeslayer, it has been an interesting few days since last we meet. A lot has happened since then, both here as well as in Kharheim. However I believe it best if we all were to speak somewhere a bit more private once we are finished here." she says, looking to the others to see if they were in agreement.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Everyone except Yara
    Show
    Thuril gives Perseus a swift smile.

"Spoken like a true son of Kharheim," he says with approval.

At Theo's words he grunts briefly but expressively.
    "From my point of view, I've lost many days I had hoped to use in preparation - and my allies, who should have emerged from the nexus at the same moment I did, are nowhere to be seen. But my duty remains clear.

"I don't recognise this place, but it is plainly not in New Ganthar - and all the signs are that matters are coming to a head there. We must make haste for that long contested island, before it is sealed against teleportation.

"I know not on what errand you came hither, but I urge you now to abandon it. When I spoke of the world's ending, I meant it literally."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

We are in Old Ganthar, and our ally is in Bastion right now, purifying an artifact needed to oppose Maltur. But what do you mean, 'before it is sealed from teleportation?' Who seeks to block our return to New Ganthar? Theo asks, for the dwarf knew much that he was not revealing.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

"I should have enough power left within me to be able to fly myself and Yara back to New Ganther, or at least close enough where her own powers will be able to take over. If you all need to go and prepare I will stay behind for Yara. After all in a war against the living I am of little help." Sister Rosalind offers to the others, giving them a way out that would allow them to prepare for the worst while someone stayed behind to wait for Yara and let her know what was going on still.

22. - Top - End - #172

Gunn signals telepathically to Manny that they will need transport soon, indicating the psion should join them where they are.

"We could use your healing, Rosalind. Regardless of Yara's success, our people need our help. If we can't prevent the end of the world, at least we can delay it long enough for her to find her way back."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"It took all of us to get this far, and we do not know how she will return. Only that she carries an artifact we need to succeed, leaving her alone when our enemies have already shown they have no worries about attacking said place is dangerous."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Rosalind is right. Theo admits, however reluctantly. That she should stay, that is. If Yara is successful, she'll be more powerful than all of us combined. If Yara cannot teleport directly there, she must teleport and then fly the rest of the way. Either way, if time is of the essence, we need to arrange a rendezvous point. We can trust Rosalind to protect herself until Yara returns, relay the message, and help deliver her reliably.

The rest of us will go and prepare for war. That is our place. Rosalind, when Yara returns, get to the Temple of Relath as swiftly as possible. They will want their artifact, and will have a direct communication link to the Arbiter. He will either be next to me, or near enough that Gunn will be able to relay our position. No delays, no side tracks. Every moment we are separated, we are not at full strength. And as was made apparent, we all are needed to defeat Maltur and redeem Charis.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2020-10-01 at 09:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara starts to open her mouth for a question, only to be overwhelmed by her options. She could spend days here, carefully going over all possibilities. She spends a minute trying to develop a concise list of the best questions before giving up.

"Too many to ask. Rather then waste time, what do you think I should know about what is happening and what will occur?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Everyone else
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    We are in Old Ganthar, and our ally is in Bastion right now, purifying an artifact needed to oppose Maltur. But what do you mean, 'before it is sealed from teleportation?' Who seeks to block our return to New Ganthar? Theo asks, for the dwarf knew much that he was not revealing.
    Thuril sighs, his body language straining for action; but he forces himself to stop, to address the legitimacy of your questions. As he speaks, he kneels and begins collecting the shards of Theo's broken hammer.

"Very well," he says in low tones. "I will explain - but please forgive me if I sacrifice clarity for brevity.

"My kind - the Rune Wardens - have for generations defended this world from external invasion. But now we are betrayed from within. The Great Runes are failing. What you see in the sky yonder is proof that they can no longer shield this realm.

"I know not who sabotaged them. I have long suspected Sigrid, who cast aside her oaths and left our order; but, if so, I know not when or how she did it.

"What I know is this: that the way is being prepared for Maltur to come into this world. Your kingdom of New Ganthar has long been a nexus for conflict, and so a point at which the influence of the God of War can be most effective. Steps have been taken - wars incited, organisations destabilised, voices for peace silenced - with the goal of strengthening that resonance.

"And I have learned the final step that will make possible Maltur's arrival. Deep beneath your land, a demigod of war and darkness has slept for an age. Now, it awakens - and its wakening will call out to Maltur, like to like, and open the Way for Him to come hither. Already his demons will be besieging your land.

"What is worst in this is that the other gods seem unable or unwilling to act. Whatever Maltur's reason to strike here, now, it seems enough of the gods agree with Him to render divine intervention unlikely. At least directly.

"So, why do I believe New Ganthar will be shielded from our influence? Maltur is a god. None can enter His presence if He wishes to prevent it."

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Rosalind is right. Theo admits, however reluctantly. That she should stay, that is. If Yara is successful, she'll be more powerful than all of us combined. If Yara cannot teleport directly there, she must teleport and then fly the rest of the way. Either way, if time is of the essence, we need to arrange a rendezvous point. We can trust Rosalind to protect herself until Yara returns, relay the message, and help deliver her reliably.

The rest of us will go and prepare for war. That is our place. Rosalind, when Yara returns, get to the Temple of Relath as swiftly as possible. They will want their artifact, and will have a direct communication link to the Arbiter. He will either be next to me, or near enough that Gunn will be able to relay our position. No delays, no side tracks. Every moment we are separated, we are not at full strength. And as was made apparent, we all are needed to defeat Maltur and redeem Charis.
    "There is the spirit!" Thuril cries. "To battle, my friends! Though the foe is beyond our reckoning, we will fight, and bleed, and die if we must before we yield!"

So saying, he thrusts his arms out to either side, and power flows out from him, seizing each of you and seeking to wrench you from that place. You sense that you could resist if you chose - that only those who are willing will be transported - but in the face of such urgency, who would refuse?

In moments, those who heeded the call find themselves in New Ganthar - in the very hall where Thuril vanished and a war between Kharheim and New Ganthar so nearly began. The crimson light is more pronounced here, streaming in through the windows; you are alone, but sounds of screaming and conflict can be heard outside.

The dwarf begins laying the fragments of Theo's hammer on the ground, shaping them into a circle. As he works, you have a moment to ask questions or to act as you think fit.

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Relath smiles boyishly at that. "They say admitting your ignorance is the beginning of wisdom. If that is so, admitting you do not even know what questions to ask is wisdom indeed. But there, I'm afraid, we speak of things outside My sphere of influence.

"Yara, you have been given power - the seed of divinity that blossoms even now within you. Those who gave you this power meant it for evil, and their methods were foul and harmful. They twisted you, wrought your very soul into something hateful.

"But know that, though there are evils in this world, there is also good - and what the enemy means for evil can be turned to the cause of righteousness in the end. And though they did everything they could to corrupt you, they have failed. For in the end, you have chosen to do what is right. And that choice is going to make all the difference.

"Even now, Maltur begins His invasion of your world. I cannot enter the mortal world to oppose Him, and there are battles raging on other fronts that I cannot neglect. But you, the newest of our fellowship, can still freely act in the material plane.

"In a moment, I will set you on your path. But take these messages with you when you walk it.

"To prevail, these three things must come to pass: Charis must be restored to the Heavens; Maltur must be slain; and the Runelord must seal the breach.

Rosalind will question her part in this - for she set out to face the Betrayer, not the Warrior. But tell her that she will get her chance, if all this transpires as I have said. More than one evil may be ended this day. By closing the Way that should never have opened, you may yet open the Way that should never have been closed.

"Now, our time is almost up. I feel duty calling to me, and cannot postpone my answer. But first, I can help you to walk the road you have chosen."

He gestures, and before you appears a column of impossibly bright light. All the wonder and peace you sensed before is emanating from that light; indeed, in a flash of insight, you sense that all that is good and pure and holy in this world comes from this source.

Relath sinks to his knees in its presence, his voice taking on a tone of reverence.

"Your friend Rosalind would tell you that everything was created by the Old Gods - the forces of Life and Death which she serves, and the elemental powers that wrought the fabric of reality. But there are mysteries even she does not comprehend - and before which even the gods can only bow.

"This is a manifestation of the power I serve; older, stronger, greater than even the Lovers. This is the wellspring from which the Heavens arose, the fountain from which every angel is born. This is the Light before and beyond all other lights. And if you mean what you have said, if you truly wish to be a force for good, you need only step into the Light and you will be transformed. The person you have been will perish. The person you wish to be shall be born."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind seems deep in thought as if she is listening to someone who wasn't there as however when Sigrid's name comes up she seems to snap out of it. "Sigrind has done what she has to make sure the great runes are not misused to imprison a god again as well as to make sure the one within is not slain. She has said as much to all of us here, whatever she has done I suspect it was to lessen the effects as much as possible. Perhaps when we return you can question her yourself." Sister Rosalind explains to Thuril letting him know that she wasn't certain that Sigrid was the one behind all of this, but was more one of the reasons it took so long for it to happen.

"As for the god of war and darkness you speak of, it is not darkness by choice, but a darkness thrown upon it trying to force it to play to anothers tune. If the corruption can be removed the god would not call to Malture but once more to the Heavens I suspect. Would this stop his ability to cross over?" she asks unsure how much to say as this did not only concern her, but Theo's faith as well. "As for divine intervention, they set a plan in motion centuries ago for this doing all that they are able to do in the mortal realm without destroying it. We must have faith in those they choose to do what they knew must be done."

When the runewarden holds out his hand Sister Rosalind takes it before looking to the others. "I don't want to say the Lover's spoke to me, but its more of a divine feeling that they want me to go with you and that Yara will be fine." Sister Rosalind says, before being transported with the others to the chamber they were so long ago meeting the prince.

"Mr. Gunn can you sense the prince or his allies? What is going on?" she asks heading to the nearest doorway and looking outside to see what was happening.

Show
    How well does Rosalind know the layout of the area she is in of the castle? She would move in the direction she feels would lead her to the prince to make sure he is safe unless Gunn can sense him elsewhere and lead her there.

28. - Top - End - #178

Gunn reaches out telepathically to sense any intelligent beings in their immediate surroundings. Turning to Thuril, he says: "What is our objective? Wage war against the demons and devils that assail us? Or is there a more pertinent goal we can achieve that will make their efforts futile?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Not Yara
    Show
    Gunn reaches out his senses, and finds the building abandoned - but in the streets outside, humanoid intelligences are being pursued individually or in small groups by packs of demons. It is a scene repeating itself a dozen times just within the range of his mindsight; and there is no reason to think it will be worse here than anywhere else in the city.

Thuril continues meticulously arranging the shards of metal. "Disrupting the resonance between our reality and Maltur's should be a priority," he replies. "If you have the means to either destroy the godling or sufficiently change it, that is an essential step.

"Failing that, we need to learn more about the disposition of the enemy. Maltur may simply intend to use this island as a beachhead to overrun the world, or he may have some more specific objective. Learning which it is would dictate how we respond.

"I know you will be tempted to take to the streets, or to seek out your strongholds or your loved ones.but the longer this continues, the more demons will enter the world - until it won't matter how well defended anyone is.

"This is your home; I am merely a visitor. What is the best way to find the answers we need? "

Show
    Rosalind can find the Palace from here and would expect to find the Prince there, if that is her goal.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

"My Lady sent a messenger saying to not get distracted by the Malture, that he was merely the distraction. If I had to guess Malture's role here and now is to kill as many as he can, this will fuel the Betrayer's army as well as their hidden Ally I have long suspected to be the Lord of Lies however have no solid proof." Sister Rosalind says as she hears what is going on in the streets and lets her consciousness focus on the part of her that was tied to the cage holding Melchizar. Melchizar I do not know if you can hear me however if you can demons are overrunning the mortal realm and killing wantly making the way ready for their master Malture to cross over. Do you remember our deal? To protect the innocent, and stop all evil that tries to harm them, to refuse to aid those who seek to simply make servants of the rest of the world. To seek down and destroy the evil vile gods that will stop at nothing to destroy the balance you were created to maintain? Swear to me you will not betray your vow here and now, promise to protect the people of this island and I swear to you here and now I will release you from your prison. Your task will be simple for now and something to hopefully give your body a stretch, protect all the mortals you can and slay all the demons who come against you or try to harm them. Do no harm to a mortal unless it is in self defense and use the bare amount of force required. If Malture or the Betrayer take to the field you have full authority to engage I just ask that you inform me first so we can lend you aid in whatever way we can. Do you accept?" Rosalind sends telepathically to Melchizar unsure if the message would be received or not.

Show
    As it is telepathic even though its through her connection to the cell I believe Gunn would probably be able to hear it, one of those instances her telepathy immunity simply doesn't work as the power of the cage would need to suppress it for her to get a reply.

"Theo can you call forth your templars to take to the streets and clear a path for Melchizar that no one will notice him leaving your office? If we cannot help these people in the streets I will not let an ancient warrior of my people who has defended thousands for millennia untold sit on the sidelines. Before he was sealed away and guarded the bridge none could pass him so keen were his skills. With him in the field as well as our allies and their respective armies I suspect we will have a chance, however we need other items to complete the ritual, does anyone know the others that Yara herself didn't have?" Sister Rosalind asks seeing as collecting them from their friends and mustering a defense to hold the tide while they went to stop the hole was possibly the best bet at winning.