New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

As Perseus Launches himself forward she can only hope the others had time to receive the message and flee as she infuses Perseus with one of her most powerful spells and watches as it seal up all of his wounds in the process and hopefully gives him a better chance to shrug off most of the explosion.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As Perseus is still full on temp hp he will be getting the +5 Competence bonus to Ref saves for 1 round instead

Heal spell heals him for 150 hp, Augment healing adds another 12, invigorated healing gets rid of any of these conditions (if they are not already gone by heal) Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Sickened, and Stunned

I used Spontaneous heal ability from Combat medic to replace heroes feast with Heal

Lady Amalthea seeing that she won't be able to harm the demon herself instead chooses to make herself a rather large target it can't ignore giving Perseus the best chance to do what must be done. And should the demon prepare to explode she vanishes back to her home.

Spoiler: Aid another
    Show
    Lady Amalthea will use Aid another to grant Perseus a +2 on his attack rolls

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind, Perseus and Gunn
    Show
    Reeling from Gunn's supernatural bombardment, the balor is ill prepared for Perseus to renew his attack. In seconds, its body has sustained intolerable trauma; the fiery energy barely contained by its shell starts to erupt from each wound, until it explodes with bone shattering force.

Perseus is, inevitably, caught in the explosion, too close to its point of origin for any effective countermeasures.

Spoiler: Death throes
    Show
    100 damage, DC 30 Reflex save for half.

The dwarves however react with speed and precision that can only be the result of long training. When Perseus starts his attack, the dwarves disengage and rush to stand behind Thuril; as the death blow lands, the Runewarden raises a hand in an ancient gesture of denial. A blazing azure rune appears in the air in front of him, barely visible ripples of force radiating out from it to form an unyielding vertical plane.

The wall of force divides the demons from the mortals, and the explosion of energy crashes into it - and is repelled. Not so the surviving demons: caught in the blast from their own ally, battered and bleeding from many blows, they are consumed in an instant.

The wall of force is unyielding; not so the physical walls around you. Timbers crack; plaster flies apart, and there is an alarming tumult of sound. Already weakened by the fire, the building is now traumatised to the point of destruction.

Dismissing the wall of force, Thuril gestures urgently and somewhat wild-eyed for you to follow as the dwarves rush out of the room.

Outside, the Prince stares at the burning building with an expression of horror and grief. It is Chancellor Rithelm who greets you first, coughing from the smoke as he raises a hand in greeting.

"Your intervention was timely, soldiers. And I won't waste precious time looking the gift-horse in the mouth. Clearly, we are under attack. What intelligence - and what aid - can you offer us?"

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Relath nods approvingly at you. "Indeed. Priorities.

"The rift between your reality and the Hells cannot be sealed until the resonance is disrupted. Think of it as a wound with the blade still inside it. In short, there can be no evil deity of war present in New Ganthar if the breach is to close.

"Redeeming Charis will end the resonance between Her and Maltur, and is the course I urge you to pursue. If you fail at that, resealing Her in the prison built to hold Her will achieve the same goal - as would destroying Her, but that would be a tragedy beyond measure.

"But Maltur has already begun forming an avatar in New Ganthar. That avatar must also be destroyed, before you attempt to seal the breach.

"Know that events have been orchestrated to give you a chance against Him. Though few powers indeed can threaten a god, your own divinity makes you capable of harming Him. The Sword of Tariel, fully awakened and in the hands of the Champion of Charis, can also pierce Maltur's defences. And a Runelord of Kharheim, standing in his own plane, is a threat no extraplanar foe can ignore - although perhaps… Yes. I can aid you but a little, Yara, for the war rages on other fronts where all my strength is needed. But the cleansing of evil is My responsibility and My forte. And so i give you this."

He hands you what appears to be a sapphire the size of your fist. You sense instinctively, however, that it is not a physical object at all; it is a working of divine power and authority, dormant until called upon, a spell - if so prosaic a word can apply - that awaits its appointed time.

"With this, you can break a curse - even one divinely ordained. It will function only once. I suggest you use it wisely.

"Now, if you succeed, the Great Runes of Kharheim are the key to closing the breach. Thuril can tell you more, but he will need your aid to strengthen the Rune sufficiently for this task.

"Go then to your friends. Carry out the ritual to restore long-mourned Charis. Then kick Maltur back to the Hells from whence He came!"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalind watches as the last blow falls upon the demon and it begins to come undone at the seems. Almost as if it was programed into them she watched with amazement as the dwarven warriors flooded behind Thuril and the Runewarden created a great Rune to protect them. So preoccupied was she with the grace and skill of these dwarves and how effortlessly they seemed to work in union she almost completely forgot about the warning Thuril had given them all as the shock wave of the Balor exploding fell over her.

It was a brief thing, however the effects had been dangerous and very deadly had those less prepared been caught in the blast. Looking first to Perseus and then to the others she makes sure everyone is safe and healed, allowing her own wounds to heal naturally on their own, which was happening rapidly as burnt and chared skin fell away to be replaced with fresh rosy pink skin.

Once outside the room she listens to what everyone has to say before saying simply to the prince. "While the destruction may seem great to you, think off all the poor who have nothing as it is and are losing everything to these demons. This building was simply that, a thing just as my temple was. We must protect the people first." she says kindly before turning to Chancellor Rithelm. "My faith's greatest warrior is already on the field taking the fight to the largest threats he comes into contact with. Once I knew the prince was safe I was going to seek my pupil and try to add to our forces." she says before looking to the prince. "These forces I call will not be the living, however they will not be the dead either if that makes any sense. The souls of all that have died these last few days protecting their families I intend to call upon and ask them to once more take mortal form for a short time to finish their duty. It is not something I have done before, and thus why I seek out my apprentice who has a closer tie to the Mother than I who holds a strong connection to the father. If we succeed you will have another force protecting the poor quarter and helping my faiths warrior in the field. They will have explicit instructions however to stay far away from the temple of Berun and its followers as they will see no difference." she explains quickly trying to make this as quick as possible before departing to do her part before the final confrontation.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Question 8 - Does Lord Commander Niall still threaten to split the Temple if I am successful?

Question 9 - Has Yara been successful in restoring the Chalice of Relath?

Question 10 - does Natalia threaten to break the Pact between our Gods?

Question 11 - Has Natalia or her God acted in support of Maltur since I have arrived in New Ganthar?

(I'll post the last two question in my next post, but since the party is split and I'm behind, I'm going to also start my next bit now too).

Theo, armed with knowledge and the confidence of a man ordained by his goddess, exits his temple and heads to his troops - and hopefully Niall - ready to slay some demons. The Sword in his hand feels alive to him, ready to spill the ichor of the demonic forces threatening Ganthar.

Weeks ago, Theo would have felt a righteous fury at this moment. But now, as the Champion, as the High Priest of Her Temple, the emotion didn't reach his heart. Theo has found serenity, confidence, and purpose where there was once anger. This is his destiny, and regardless of what happens next, Theo would face it with eyes wide open.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Question 8 - Does Lord Commander Niall still threaten to split the Temple if I am successful?
    SUCCESS WILL SPLIT THE TEMPLE REGARDLESS. THE DIVISION CENTRES AROUND NIALL BUT IS FAR OLDER - THE INEVITABLE RESULT OF ARTIFICIAL PEACE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL.

Question 9 - Has Yara been successful in restoring the Chalice of Relath?
    YES

Question 10 - does Natalia threaten to break the Pact between our Gods?
    NO - SHE WILL STRIDENTLY OPPOSE ANY WHO SEEK TO BREAK IT.

Question 11 - Has Natalia or her God acted in support of Maltur since I have arrived in New Ganthar?
    NO. NATALIA AND VALACLES OPPOSE MALTUR - IT IS THE MEANS BY WHICH THEY WILL DO SO WHICH YOU MUST PREVENT.

[/QUOTE]Theo, armed with knowledge and the confidence of a man ordained by his goddess, exits his temple and heads to his troops - and hopefully Niall - ready to slay some demons. The Sword in his hand feels alive to him, ready to spill the ichor of the demonic forces threatening Ganthar.

Weeks ago, Theo would have felt a righteous fury at this moment. But now, as the Champion, as the High Priest of Her Temple, the emotion didn't reach his heart. Theo has found serenity, confidence, and purpose where there was once anger. This is his destiny, and regardless of what happens next, Theo would face it with eyes wide open.[/QUOTE]

At the entrance to the Temple, you find that matters have escalated. A dozen vulpine vrock demons, a pair of toad-like hezrous, and a score of dretches have assembled and are gathering outside, waiting some cue to attack; Niall stands with the Templar defenders, an array of scrolls and relics at his side. As you watch, he chooses one - a dusty wax seal inset with the symbol of Charis in cold iron - and hefts it thoughtfully. Seeing your approach, he gestures at the demons.

"Patience in a demon is a bad sign," he growls. "Some fell power bends them to its will, imposing strategy and discipline where there should be anarchy. No prizes for guessing who it is.

"Best we get outside, Father. With these relics, I can seal the Temple against anything short of a demon lord. But there won't be anyone getting out after it starts."

At that moment, there is a strike of crimson lightning from the roiling skies overhead - and on the blackened circle of ground where it was earthed, a hulking demon of barely-contained fire now squats.

"Balor," Niall spits in the tone of a curse. "Well, Charis never promised an easy life."

Show
    I'll wait for Esorscher before I post for Rosalind, Gunn et al.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn takes Rosalind's offered healing without objection, a new respect for her in his eyes. Perhaps finally, after all these battles, he has come to see her value. Facing a Balor alone will do that. But apologies will have to wait.

He bows to the Prince in a sign of respect befitting his station as a lord, and says, after the suitable honorifics, "We must reconnect with our companions, Theo and Yara. We have a plan; if we are successful, we may save not only New Ganthar, but the world." Addressing all their allies, he says, "If you or your orders have any ancestral relics, now is the time to put them to use. Stay safe; the day is neither won nor lost, and we will need to help each other again before the day is out." He mentally communicates with Manny Fester, that they need teleportation to Theo's church, or as close to it as possible. "Any who wish to join us," he says, looking particularly at Perseus's dwarven brothers-in-arms, "Your continued aid is most welcome."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara accepts the jewel. The power to break any curse... a very useful tool she would have to be very careful with.
    "Thank you for this gift, I will try to use it well. I shall go support Theo, is there anything else I should know right now?"

Whatever the answer, Yara then directs herself to Travel to New Ganthar, appearing near Theo.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind, Perseus and Gunn
    Show
    Thuril nods to Gunn. "I'll handle my men, friend. We will stand beside you until the battle is done."

Lothrain lays a hand on the hilt of his blade in an unconscious gesture of readiness, and declares, "I shall take the Prince and the Chancellors to the Temple of Relath. It is the most defensible structure in the city, and I have certain relics there that I can use in this emergency. Go with the blessing of Relath, my friends."

Clauth demurs with a slight shake of the head. "My God has answered my prayers for the first time in decades," he says softly. "Dalvar, who was slain, now acts in the world once more. It is not the time for prudence and patience. I must know what this means. I would go with you, Mr Gunn, if I may."

Manny Fester appears at that moment. Once all who want to travel to the Temple of Charis are assembled, he manifests his trademark power once more, treating mere geography with the contempt it deserves.

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Relath shakes his head. "You know where the enemy is and how to defeat Him. What more does a warrior need to know? Go then with My blessing, little cousin."

The region outside of the Temple of Charis teems with lesser demons, as well as a handful of their stronger kin. The abrupt materialisation of a cadre of dwarves and some of the mightiest champions of humanity, however, gives them pause.

Then, with a sound like a thunderclap, Yara appears.

It is immediately clear that the psion has been transfigured. Light and warmth radiate from her; and on a fundamental level, you are conscious of her presence as of nothing else around you, as though she is the only thing of real substance in a world of mist and lies.

You know from experience what it is like to be in the presence of the divine.

That is what it feels like to see Yara unveiled.

The lesser demons flee in terror. One stumbles, falling into its allies' path; it is torn apart in seconds, the wretched creatures caring not that the swiftest path to escape was through their brethren's flesh.

With a roar, the balor leading this group gathers its remaining followers - a handful of vrocks and hezrou - and readies to attack. Perhaps it expects this neonate deity to be easy pickings.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    The demons act on initiative count 15. Roll initiative, and anyone who beats that roll can act immediately.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Question 10 - I know you saw that a day like this would come. May Your Wisdom guide my Sword. Is the ritual, described in the journals of Aenar, my ancestor... does it work as he describes?

Question 11 - I have no final question. I go forth to do your bidding. May my final words that reach you be this. I love Thee, Charis, as much as any mortal may. Everything I do, I do for Thee.

The answers revealed to Theo from his Goddess may have been few, but it all became clear. He must awaken the Sword. There were five jewels on the hilt of the Champion's Blade, three of which were alight. Days ago, Tariel had shown him five memories, of course they corresponded to the jewels. There were two left - to be the Unifier, and to continue the line of heroes. He may not have time to sire a child, but he could do his best to be a unifier. Theo knew that the time had come to be honest with his Lord Commander, and trust that armed with the truth, the whole truth, that Niall would understand that this was his only option. Hopefully, it would work, and four jewels would be enough. Theo made the sign of the sword over his heart.

Approaching Niall, Theo cast Divine Insight, and Visage of the Diety, knowing that he needed every bit of Grace from Charis to aid his speech. Lord Commander, he said, demons standing about but before the Balor had appeared, Brother. It is true, our greatest trial is before us, and our sacred vow is to be tested. Charis has revealed to me everything I must know. Maltur will seek to breech our plane. He will attempt to step foot on our soil at the Mount of Skulls. This is the entire reason I am here - Tariel sired Aenar, beginning the line that brought me hear. Charis made me Champion and brought to me the Sword of my ancestor, so that I may wield it against our greatest foe.

Our Goddess orchestrated these events because She, in all Her Wisdom, knew that this day would come. There is but one way to defeat Maltur, and in that there is hope. If I am successful, if we are successful, Maltur will be dashed into oblivion, his very essence scattered into the hells. It will be generations before a new being takes up his mantle and threatens our world again. If I am successful, with Maltur gone the Pact will have been fulfilled. Peace will follow for many, but not for our Temple. We may no longer be allies after this, but I will still call you Brother. If I am successful, I will still fight beside you, and I will still fight for you, until my last breath, for any fight that remains to us.

But if I am successful, my purpose will have been fulfilled, and the Temple will have no more need of me. Or if I fail, I will die in the attempt. Either way, after this fight, you will be High Priest. After today, you will be Father Niall. There will be Good and Evil men and women that cannot see eye-to-eye, yet every one of them willingly and fervently give their heart and soul to Charis. They will bicker and fight and challenge each other every day. You must be Father to them all. You must live so you can be Father to them all.

There is no coincidence why Maltur is going to the Mount of Skulls. There lay the only weapon that can defeat Maltur for good, there lay either his greatest victory or his ultimate defeat. It is why those portraits hung, bearing my face and those of my allies, from generations before my birth. Charis Saw that this day would come. I hope you know that every thing that I have done, everything in my heart is for Charis. I know that you understand me, to a certain point, but there is still something in your heart that you hold. I have one last request of you, Brother. For I may awaken tomorrow at the Side of Charis, to join her Eternal Watch with our many Brothers who have gone before us. Niall, my Brother, I need you to forgive me.
    He put his hand to Niall's shoulder and looked in his eyes, hoping to see the glimmer of forgiveness light within the Lord Commander. (Diplomacy roll, with some hope at a really big RP bonus, in the hopes it accomplishes the Unifier bit (1d20+40)[44])

Then, the Balrog appeared. Niall uttered his quip, and Theo snorted a short laugh. No, but She makes strong warriors that can win the hardest fights. Theo then whispers to Niall. You charge first, I will move and cast Knights Move to set up the flank. If the other demons move in, I will speak Dictum and force them back. When we fell the Balor, I will make haste to my other allies, and we will seek to make our stand at the Mount of Skulls. Thenceforth, the Temple is yours. May you have better fortune as High Priest than I.

Theo then cast Divine Power, and turned to face the Balor. Just as he does, his allies appear on the other side of the huddled enemies... And in the next instant, Yara returns, wreathed in the power sourced from divinity itself. Awe washed over the battlefield, and Theo knew that they would make short work of these petty demons.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2020-11-18 at 11:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

10. - Top - End - #220

"Another Balor?" Gunn asks, though to no one in particular. Let us see what a 'god' can do, he thinks to himself, waiting to see if Yara has some new trick up her sleeve.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: To speed things along I'm just going to post as if the temple of Charis is closer
    Show

"Good luck Lothrain, and if you see a vampire fighting the demons tell you men not to engage. He is with me, though he will defend himself if attacked I suspect. If you have any who would not attack him and can hold their own, he is attacking the biggest threats across New Ganther as we speak and could use the aid, even if he would never admit it." she adds suspecting Melchizar would never ask for aid so quickly.

Seeing no reason to delay and knowing the quickest way for her to meet up with Pran would be for her to go to the temple of Charis anyways she nods her head to join the others as they teleport away. "Gunn when we arrive at the temple of Charis I will channel one of my spells to grant the defenders of the temple the ability to heal their wounds faster then any mortal, once I finish this spell however could you have Manny teleport me to the temple of Berun? I need to get Pran and I doubt we have the time while an invasion is going on to save one temple before moving to the next and thus we must work across many fields at once. I intend to take Pran and head to the poor district and move towards the temple of bones until he can connect with its power so we can try to raise an army to protect the poor district." she explains as they get ready to teleport.

The moment the group arrives Rosalind immediately gets to work casting her spell, and as she works a divine glyph appears on the ground granting eight of the front line defenders a momentary boost in their ability to stand and fight.

Show
    So we know when Rosalind's spell goes into effect (1d20)[20]
    Spell is vigorous circle FH 3 for 8 people for 27 rounds
    Then it gets the Rosalind cocktail sauce +12 hp healed from Augment Healing
    +17 temp hp from Imbued Healing
    +25 temp hp from Healing Kicker, +1 Morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear (which will be overwritten once Gunn does his thing)

As she finishes casting the spell she looks up and notices Yara and a smile crosses her face. "It's good to see you again friend, I take it your mission was a success?"

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    Question 10 - I know you saw that a day like this would come. May Your Wisdom guide my Sword. Is the ritual, described in the journals of Aenar, my ancestor... does it work as he describes?

YES

Question 11 - "I have no final question. I go forth to do your bidding. May my final words that reach you be this. I love Thee, Charis, as much as any mortal may. Everything I do, I do for Thee.
    MY DEAR CHAMPION. I KNOW I ASK MORE OF YOU THAN I SHOULD. YOU ARE THE BEST AND BRAVEST OF MY SERVANTS, THE ONE I CAN TRUST TO DO WHAT NO OTHER CAN. I GO INTO THE DARKNESS WITH HOPE, FOR I KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE MY BEACON OF LIGHT. GO WITH MY BLESSING.
    The answers revealed to Theo from his Goddess may have been few, but it all became clear. He must awaken the Sword. There were five jewels on the hilt of the Champion's Blade, three of which were alight. Days ago, Tariel had shown him five memories, of course they corresponded to the jewels. There were two left - to be the Unifier, and to continue the line of heroes. He may not have time to sire a child, but he could do his best to be a unifier. Theo knew that the time had come to be honest with his Lord Commander, and trust that armed with the truth, the whole truth, that Niall would understand that this was his only option. Hopefully, it would work, and four jewels would be enough. Theo made the sign of the sword over his heart.

Approaching Niall, Theo cast Divine Insight, and Visage of the Diety, knowing that he needed every bit of Grace from Charis to aid his speech. Lord Commander, he said, demons standing about but before the Balor had appeared, Brother. It is true, our greatest trial is before us, and our sacred vow is to be tested. Charis has revealed to me everything I must know. Maltur will seek to breech our plane. He will attempt to step foot on our soil at the Mount of Skulls. This is the entire reason I am here - Tariel sired Aenar, beginning the line that brought me hear. Charis made me Champion and brought to me the Sword of my ancestor, so that I may wield it against our greatest foe.

Our Goddess orchestrated these events because She, in all Her Wisdom, knew that this day would come. There is but one way to defeat Maltur, and in that there is hope. If I am successful, if we are successful, Maltur will be dashed into oblivion, his very essence scattered into the hells. It will be generations before a new being takes up his mantle and threatens our world again. If I am successful, with Maltur gone the Pact will have been fulfilled. Peace will follow for many, but not for our Temple. We may no longer be allies after this, but I will still call you Brother. If I am successful, I will still fight beside you, and I will still fight for you, until my last breath, for any fight that remains to us.

But if I am successful, my purpose will have been fulfilled, and the Temple will have no more need of me. Or if I fail, I will die in the attempt. Either way, after this fight, you will be High Priest. After today, you will be Father Niall. There will be Good and Evil men and women that cannot see eye-to-eye, yet every one of them willingly and fervently give their heart and soul to Charis. They will bicker and fight and challenge each other every day. You must be Father to them all. You must live so you can be Father to them all.

There is no coincidence why Maltur is going to the Mount of Skulls. There lay the only weapon that can defeat Maltur for good, there lay either his greatest victory or his ultimate defeat. It is why those portraits hung, bearing my face and those of my allies, from generations before my birth. Charis Saw that this day would come. I hope you know that every thing that I have done, everything in my heart is for Charis. I know that you understand me, to a certain point, but there is still something in your heart that you hold. I have one last request of you, Brother. For I may awaken tomorrow at the Side of Charis, to join her Eternal Watch with our many Brothers who have gone before us. Niall, my Brother, I need you to forgive me.
    He put his hand to Niall's shoulder and looked in his eyes, hoping to see the glimmer of forgiveness light within the Lord Commander.
    The Lord Commander looks stunned at your words, then abruptly laughs.

"How could I not? If you're going to go to all the trouble of vacating the High Priesthood for me, it would be churlish of me to hold a grudge.

"Well, then. It looks like we need to clear out this rabble and deal with this pesky demonic invasion so we can move on to important things."
    His eyes sparkle with merriment as he draws his sword, a wickedly glinting two-handed affair with a blade resembling polished obsidian and an ivory hilt, its pommel set with a diamond that crackles with lightning. "By your command, Father?"

Niall's forgiveness eases your soul, but when you draw the Sword of Tariel, it is still three sapphires that ignite at your touch. Perhaps you have misjudged what is still required of you.

But time is running short to figure it out.

Show
    I'll wait for Timble before posting actions in combat.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Niall charges into the massed ranks of demons, his eyes fixed on the balor. His sword moves twice to ward off blows, then he cuts down a vrock standing between him and his target with a crushing overhand blow to the skull. The demon dies instantly - and its form is sucked into the dark blade in the Lord Commander's hand like water down a hole. The blade begins to glow with a sinister indigo light.

Try though they might, the lesser demons cannot penetrate Niall's defences. Bellowing a challenge, the balor wades forward into the fray, kicking one unfortunate vrock aside with rib-shattering force to clear a path. The fiery demon rains blows down on the Lord Commander, who cries out in pain and defiance as his shoulder audibly breaks.

The two hezrous seem to decide staying out of Niall's reach - and that of their own leader - would be prudent, and they turn their attention to other threats. The first charges at Perseus, an act so unwise as to qualify as suicidal, uttering a blasphemy that lacks the strength to cause anything more than mild discomfort. The second unleashes a blast of anarchic energy that may be slightly more threatening. In truth, you are now heroes of such stature that the toad-like demons are barely an inconvenience.

Spoiler: Chaos Hammer
    Show
    20' radius burst centred on Perseus. Lawful creatures take 26 damage, or 13 if neutral - Will DC 18 half. Chaotic creatures unaffected. Outsiders take 40 damage if lawful or 20 if neutral, same save for half.

A lawful creature who fails his save is slowed for 1 round.

Show
    Please declare your next rounds actions when you're free - don't worry about initiative order relative to other players.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing the Lord Commander charge in, slay one demon, and meet the Balor, Theo took his chance. Charging into the fray, Theo dashed right up to join battle against the Balor. He lined up to swing with three steps to go, then muttered a holy word to teleport right behind his foe. With its back turned, Theo swung his holy blade.

[spoiler]I will use Divine Impetus to sacrifice a TU attempt to add 4 to the attack roll and 1d10 to the damage. War Leader's Charge provokes no attacks of opportunity on the charge and adds 35 damage. Theo had cast Divine Power just before, and just now cast Knight's Move. Is the Sword of Tariel cold iron in any way? I will exclude electric damage from these rolls, as I know that the balor is immune. I will use a smite evil attempt as well. Power attack for 5

Attack: (1d20+32)[35]
    Damage: (4d6+67)[86] + (1d10)[5][spoiler]
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Theo goes forth to do battle with this demon, sword ablaze with holy fire, and uses his Goddess's blessings to get behind the creature while its attention is focused on Niall. Yet some unholy force protects the demon, turning his blade at the last instant so that it misses entirely.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Round 2
    Spoiler: This is under the assumption the Balor is not dead and thus did damage to someone
    Show

As the others go into battle with the Balor Sister Rosalind calls out to all their allies in the front lines, warning them about the destructive powers of Balors when they die, something she had just witnessed first hand moments before, making sure they all knew to be ready to find cover at a moments notice. For herself she pushes through the swarm of warriors trying to place herself within sight of Theo and the others battling the Balor so she could help them, while also trying to shelter the warriors of Charis for the demons attacking them.

"Father I call to you, please send down one of your children to help us in this time of need."

As she finishes the spell a small glowing orb of light appears on the side of Niall and floats down to his arm. Where the light from the orb touches the bones begin to shift underneath the skin, seemingly trying to put themselves back into place and mend themselves together.

Spoiler: Healing spirit
    Show
    Niall Healed (1d8+8)[16] +44 temp hp

17. - Top - End - #227

Before the fight proper:
    "Its good to see you to," Yara replies to Rosalind. "The chalice is purified and I am renewed."
    She then turns to consider the demons, wondering how exactly to unleash her powers upon them.

Fight:
    Finally inspiration came to her. Quicker then ever before, two constructs of massive stature and long claws appeared around the Balor.

Spoiler: Psionics
    Show
    Using the Salient Divine Abilities to Twin and Quicken Astral Construct.
    C1: [roll]19d10+40[roll]
    C2: [roll]19d10+40[roll]

Then using the Salient Divine abilities to Twin Astral Construct to appear at the start of next turn.
    C3: [roll]19d10+40[roll]
    C4: [roll]19d10+40[roll]

Each has:
    Constrict
    Rend
    Muscle
    Extra Attack

Spoiler: Constrict Attacks
    Show

C1:
    A1: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[22]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[29]
    A2: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[29]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[27]
    A3: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[22]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[25]
    Rend if 2 Attacks hit: (2d6+27)[37]

C2:
    A1: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[27]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[24]
    A2: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[23]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[26]
    A3: [roll]1d20+30[roll] for (2d6+18)[23]
    Grapple Attempt: [roll]1d20+40[roll] + on success (2d6+18)[25]
    Rend if 2 Attacks hit: (2d6+27)[34]

On Grappling:
    If any of the grapple checks work, none of the following attacks for that construct occur. Instead it is purely the grapple check. The first construct to succeed on a grapple check will use its remaining grapples to pin, any remaining to damage (Presumably the rend can go off from damage attempts if not successful constrict but unsure). Constrict damage as normal per grapple attempt, use the damage for the normal attack for any damage attempt (Remember that grapple attempts for the purpose of damaging with a weapon/natural weapon have a -4). Once one construct has the balor pinned, the other will just use its grapple attempts to damage.

18. - Top - End - #228

Seeing the tactic had worked effectively against the previous Balor, Gunn fires a ray of dizziness at this one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Song of Arcane Power to boost CL as move, Ray of Dizziness CL vs. SR: (1d20+23)[38]

Perseus, for his part, uses the only real tool in his arsenal, launching himself in a frenzy at the demon. A simple tactic, but frequently effective.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perseus (Raging, Leap Attack, Charge, Flanking, Power Attack, Inspire Courage, Haste):

(1d20+36)[41], (1d10+44)[54]
    (1d20+36)[49], (1d10+44)[50]
    (1d20+31)[35], (1d10+44)[50]
    (1d20+26)[31], (1d10+44)[53]
    (1d20+21)[32], (1d10+44)[49]

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yara conjures twin monstrosities from her imagination, manifesting power with a speed impossible for mere mortals. The balor is forced to defend itself on two fronts; its attention thus divided, it successfully guards against one creature but is struck twice by the second. Barely visible tentacles wrench at the magma of the demon's form, injuring it but being exposed to terrible heat.

Spoiler: Flaming Body
    Show
    21 fire damage on Construct 1. One of its two successful attacks also led to a successful grapple attempt, hence the damage.

Not to be outdone by the neonate divinity, Perseus charges into the fray. His mighty axe lashes out in a blur of motion, so swift even this powerful demon cannot defend against every blow, sending burning ichor flying from two deep cuts.

Round 2

Rosalind focuses her healing on Niall, bolstering the dark servant of the Sentinel to stand firm against the foe. For his part, Niall seems to glory in the certainty of combat, his cruel blade hungry for demonic blood; yet for all his skill and determination, for now he can find no weakness in the balor's defences.

The two hezrou demons that Perseus had ignored in favour of the balor turn their attention to Yara. They lash out with blasts of chaos and sin, thinking perhaps to please their warlike Master by slaying His newest rival. The dark magic washes over the aura of glory around Yara - and disperses harmlessly, the minor demons hopelessly out of their league when faced by the arcane defences of a goddess.

Stricken by Gunn's magic, the balor's movements are halting and disjointed; but it remains a deadly threat, as it proves by calling down fire on the entire force assembled against it.

Spoiler: Fire Storm
    Show
    Everyone takes 69 points of fire damage, DC 26 Reflex save for half. Spell resistance check if applicable: 32.

Show
    Demons and NPCs - 15
    Theo (delayed) - 15
    Gunn & Perseus - 15
    Yara - 7
    Rosalind - 20 (next round, but post when ready)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With such staggering forces on your side, the battle is brief, its outcome a foregone conclusion. In moments the balor and its lesser servants are slain, the explosion of flame at its demise easily contained by Yara's newfound power.

There follows a lull in the fighting as both sides take stock and regroup; an opportunity perhaps to catch one another up on recent events. Yet the hellish rift still mars the skies, and demons still stalk the city you each call home. Only by closing that rift can that threat be addressed; and nothing short of a god stands between you and victory.

In the meantime, a message reaches Rosalind from Melchizar. The greater demons are dead, but it can only be a matter of minutes before they are replaced. If you have the means to seal the rift, I would suggest you use it.

I - wait. There is something... A trace of immortal energy, well concealed. I am going to investigate.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

As the last of the demonic forces fall Sister Rosalind goes about making sure all the living remain so as she uses her dwindling powers to heal those she can. It is during this time she receives her message from Melchizar. "Thank you Melchizar, I know you enjoy what you are doing but you are saving countless lives with what you are doing and protecting many innocents who would have died far to early had it not been for you." the priestess of the Lovers sends through their connection, letting him know how proud and thankful she was of everything he was doing. Be careful Melchizar, we will go to seal the rift while you investigate. I will hopefully be able to send aid your way shortly, though they will be nowhere near as powerful as you. Only you can stop those who break the natural order my friend." she replies mentally to him, her voice full of worry for him, as well as conviction in the fact that they each are doing what they must.

"Melchizar has taken care of all of the greater demons that have passed through as of this moment, the rest should be able to be repelled by a combined effort if all of our forces work together. However he is going to investigate a disturbance that has been trying to hide itself, I would ask for aid to join him however the prince needs all of you who are here, and I doubt you have many who would work with my friend. We need to consollidate our forces and make a push back while at the same time, Mr. Gunn, Perseus, Theo, Yara, and myself all need to go take care of the breach in the sky and seal it before any other powers get through. I trust you all can handle damage control, and do not forget the poor quarters, trust me I will know." she adds, to the leaders, making it clear that those living their were still their people.

Show
    My idea is now that the churches are more or less free from the major fighting they can start going on the offensive, joined with the fellowship as well as the local military they should be able to put up a good enough force to if not push back the demonic invasion, at least halt/slow its progress. I have no doubt Gunn would have a safe house that the prince could use as a local command post however thats up to him if hes willing to share it.

"Mr. Gunn can Manny bring me to the temple of Berun to speak with Pran please, or bring Pran here." she asks hoping he would but honestly unsure as he had nothing to gain from doing so at this exact moment, then again he could simply charge her for the spell.

Show
    It's been a while so as a reminder, Rosalind wants to bring Pran with her to the mountain of bones as he is tied more to the Mother and thus the energy their resignates with him as it is necrotic and negative energy. She is hoping to use that extra fuel to have him be able to raise an undead platoon or such to help defend New Ganther/support Melchizar. This will put another piece on the board for our side while we try to cut off the enemies way of producing more allies. If possible a special team that is highly specialized in hunting down the cultists of Malture and the Betrayer to make sure they can't help tear rifts open would be a good idea as well.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

We will go forth as one to seal the rift. How do you propose to do so? Theo asks Rosalind, not knowing much about interplanar travel himself. But we must make haste. Maltur intends to take the Mount of Skulls, and use it as the platform to spread his influence throughout our plane. We must get there before he does.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233

Setting aside his greed, Gunn nods. There would be no profit to be made if the world ended, after all. It was in his own rational self-interest to see that the status quo was preserved. Manny appears at their side, and complies with Rosalind's instructions.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thuril Drakeslayer steps forward, loosening the collar of the fur-lined, cowled cloak that marks him as a Runewarden of Kharheim. Taking a quick swig from a canteen, he gestures towards the rift with it before securing the lid again.

"I can seal the rift, with the help of Perseus,"
    he assures you. "But not as it is now. Think of it like a wound with the blade still inside: I can't stitch it until you draw it out.

"Specifically, it's the resonance between Maltur and the Daughter that is keeping it open. End the resonance, by either destroying the Daughter or so thoroughly changing her that the affinity ends, and I can do the job. Well, unless Maltur's avatar gets through first: same problem again, but worse. If that happens, you need to destroy the avatar."

Manny appears, responding swiftly to Gunn's summons. The Temple of Berun beckons from across the city square for those who wish to go there; or the nomad stands ready to bear you to more distant locations.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

"Sadly that is the domain of the runewardens who were gifted the great runes. Thankfully Thuril has already answered that for us, and the prophet has given us one of many ways to remove the blade in the wound. The question is which way would you prefer. I plan on asking Pran for help only to help so he can raise some of the fallen to protect their families. That sadly has little to do with what we need to do." the priestess of the Lover's says.

"Either choice my magical powers are almost depleted for meaning I will not be able to assist to greatly compared to normal. However if you wish to perform the one detailed in the book we will need to go about collecting the remaining items we do not already posses, and quickly." she explains to Theo as she begins walking over to the temple of Berun looking for Pran.

Show
    Didn't realize the temple of Berun was so close to the palace otherwise wouldn't have asked for manny fester, my bad.

26. - Top - End - #236

"Do we have all the ritual components?" Yara asks. "I have the Lens and the Chalice. We need the staff from Katraya. I have no idea where the Tome ended up however, hopefully the ritual is possible without it."

"I'll head to the temple of Maya for the staff. We should leave as soon as all possible artifacts are gathered."

Yara considers the upcoming encounter with the Daughter. She wasn't willing to transfer Dalvar's power to the ex-god, but didn't want to kill it. There wasn't much that she knew of the ritual. Was it going to be possible to save the Daughter without granting divinity? Hopefully so.

27. - Top - End - #237

"I'll go with you," Gunn says to Yara. "I have the Tome. Once we have the staff, we'll have everything we need."

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind nods in agreement with Gunn's statement that they had everything needed besides the staff for the ritual. "So once I have Pran with me we will go and meet you at the temple." She says looking at Theo to see if he was willing to go with her to get Pran.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

I will accompany you, Theo said to Rosalind. If we are going to split up, even temporarily, no one of us should go off on our own. Any one of us imperilled will prevent the rest from defeating this demonic host.

Let us regroup with haste. We must heal The Daughter and end this present threat to our world.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Niall, fortunately, is far enough from your discussions not to hear your intentions. As you depart, he offers Theo a salute that has an edge of triumphant anticipation, and sets about rallying the Temple's defenders against the prospect of a renewed assault.

As you separate, your dwarven allies confer briefly before Bhatren leads his soldiers away. Thuril Drakeslayer makes his way to join Gunn and Yara. "I will help you gain this last relic," he proclaims - although it is Perseus on whom his gaze lingers. "Meanwhile, Bhatren will take our forces to the Mount of Skulls to prepare."

Spoiler: Gunn, Perseus and Yara
    Show
    The journey to the Temple of Maya is brief and uneventful. The few minor demons still prowling the street flee at your approach; but the sight of mangled, half-eaten corpses is an all too frequent reminder that the invasion is not over, merely in abeyance.

So ubiquitous is the stench of burning that it is only when the Temple comes into sight that its fate becomes apparent. Where once a vibrant if dilapidated centre of worship stood, only the burned out shell of a building remains, blackened timbers gaping like a shattered ribcage beneath the putrid light of the rift.

The bodies of priestesses are strewn around, many showing signs of abuse or torture. After a swift and somewhat traumatic search, you find the mortal remains of Katraya, Guardian of this Temple: she fell in the foyer of the building, and all her injuries not caused by the flames are to the front.

Of the Sapphire Staff you came to borrow, there is no sign.

Spoiler: Rosalind and Theo
    Show
    For all their pacifism, the clerics of Berun have benefited from the close proximity of temples dedicated to Relath and Charis; for the servants of the Lord of Boundless War were drawn to the twin fortresses like moths to a flame, leaving the Healer's domain mostly untouched.

The building is filled with the injured, arranged in bed after bed as healers tend to the victims of this catastrophe. Those trained as physicians toil with minor injuries and triage, including familiar faces from the Gleaming Rose; deeper within the sanctuary, the priests blessed with divine magic work to save the most grievously wounded, so numerous and so fervent in their prayers that the very air seems to ripple with positive energy.

Through it all, Pran wanders like one lost, tears streaming down his face. His gaze snaps to the door, looking through you as though you were invisible; seconds later, two blood-splattered men enter with a stretcher, on which a third man lies mutilated. The triage team rush over - but pronounce the man dead on arrival.

At last, Pran catches sight of Rosalind - and rushes to embrace her, sobs of distress muffled against her robe.