New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar IV

"We must weigh our pursuit of this staff against the broader objective. There is a point at which continuing to search for it does more harm than good. We can complete the ritual now, without it." Gunn says, reaching out telepathically to sense anyone present. He also casts detect magic.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

As Rosalind enters the building she watches in horror at the price of war. So many innocents hurt, she immediately began letting her hands drift to both sides, giving each person she passed the smallest amount of healing she could, the effects wouldn't last long, if most were lucky a minute, however each minute was another chance for those fighting off death to say their goodbyes to loved ones or receive proper treatment. The aura of peace that surrounds her normally tries its best to calm the nerves of everyone here, she knew she couldn't stay and help like she wanted to so badly, however seeing people she had trained here was promising. And she could practically feel the energy of the Father in the air, as if it were supercharged with it as the priestess and priestess of Berun did what they could for the injured.

"Theo we must hurry...If I stay here to long I won't be able to leave." she tells him, as she struggles with herself each step to find Pran. The sounds of so many people in pain was like a dagger in the womans back that kept on getting slowly twisted so the pain never stopped.

As the woman sees Pran she notices the saddness in his eyes as well as his focus as if he was seeing something no one else could, and so she turned to look where he was staring before listening to what was pronounced. So when Pran came over Sister Rosalind embraced him as a mother would her child. "I know Pran, this hurts me as well." she says as she tries to soothe him for a minute. Trying for a moment to allow him to be the child he was knowing that what she was about to ask would be difficult for most followers of the Lovers in the most perfect conditions, this was the exact opposite and she was hoping that the power from the temple of bones would be able to help him accomplish what she believed would buy all of these people more time.

"Pran did you cast a spell, or did the sight come naturally?" she asks as she looks over to the person that had been brought in that was stated to be dead. "You can see them can't you." she asks gently, not wishing to push him to far to quickly, yet knowing that they didn't have time to learn in the normal way one should.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yara nods silently at Gunn's words. Who knows where the staff had been taken.

Katraya had been a friend, and with her temple wiped out it was unlikely she would be coming back. But Yara didn't feel too sad. She had been dead before and presumably Katraya would have Maya's afterlife waiting for her. Yara makes a few of the gestures of the Feronaxian death ritual, no longer a religion she believed in but one she was comfortable and familiar with.

The demons had spread suffering and destruction all across the city. And for that she was going to make Maltur pay.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo and Rosalind
    Show
    Pran turns a tear-streaked face to his mentor, nodding once before screwing his eyes shut.

"It's... it's like nothing else is real,"
    he says in a hushed voice. "Life is a dream, fleeting and false. It's only when we wake up that we become who we truly are.

"I think the Mother is calling me, Sister. Making me ready to serve Her. But it means learning to see everything as She does - and there's no time to learn gently."

Seeing Theo for the first time, his eyes widen.

"Father, beware: death stands over you like a crashing wave, immense and implacable. Within the hour, you will face a foe beyond your strength, and your mortal days will come to an end."

Spoiler: Gunn, Perseus and Yara
    Show
    Gunn's magic leads him through the wreckage to a half buried trapdoor.
    Ironically, the destruction may have made it easier to find: collapsed walls and burned carpets only hint at the elaborate arrangements that once shielded this door from discovery.

A spell from Thuril disarms an arcane warding, and you find yourselves looking into a basement filled with arcane objects. It is dominated by a pulsating sphere of the same sapphire that formed Katraya's staff, hovering suspended in the air as it rotates gently; the sphere is perhaps three feet in diameter, and there is a sense of energy to its depths that captivates the senses and hints at some unfathomable power within.

"Greetings, littlest sister."

The voice comes from behind you, though even Gunn had no inkling of the speaker's approach. The woman standing there is the image of Katraya, but with an ageless quality to her appearance. She is wrapped in moonlight, a silvery luminescence that protects her modesty while leaving no doubt that she has no use for clothing.

If her first words were for Yara, her eyes are on Gunn - who has to force his attention to the sound of her voice, so overwhelming is the magnitude of her mental presence.

"Do you seek the Staff of the Guardian, mortal? I cannot say I am wholly convinced of your motives for so doing."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo stands alert as a commanding general, a hand never leaves the hilt of his sword. Though Rosalind was made uncomfortable by that very act in the past, with the hour of Charlie's triumphant redemption so near, he dare not let it leave his grasp.

Pran reveals his warning to Theo, though his words do not unnerve the Champion. I swore to spend my life for the good of our people, in service of Charis. Success or failure is not known yet, not even Charis can see through this fog. I know the great evil you speak of, and nothing will stop me from crossing swords with our mighty foe. If it costs me my life, so be it, I'll make sure that Maltur is sent to oblivion before I face my final judgment, or perish in the attempt.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

So wrapped up in current events that were unfolding far to quickly for her liking, the priestess of the Lovers didn't even notice Theo's hand on his blade in the temple of Berun as she listened to what Pran and Theo spoke of. "Our time on this world has always had an limit Pran, even now I myself am on borrowed time in order to save our brothers and sisters so that they may once more go to their promised land." Sister Rosalind says gently, making it clear that all life was fleeting. " This life is to help us grow into who we will become when we go to the outer planes, for example Theo's faith become great warriors serving in an unending war. The problem now is however to many have turned away from the light of the gods, and denied their existence making them susceptible in the afterlife to be taken by wraiths waiting for us to arrive." she explains, just enough for him to have an idea of what was on the other side and what was at stake with each mortal life.

"The Mother was not always known for being kind, however she has always given each of us no more than we could handle. If she has placed such a responsibility on you it is because she knows you will have the strength for it and will need it in your life. After all it is rare for the Mother and Father to directly touch one of their children and give them a gift as their powers are far greater then most deities that their direct force in this world always has very strong outcomes. I think she is letting you see as she does so you can comfort and speak to the dead before they pass. Sometimes to help the grieving, other times to ask them to stay behind and help protect their families." she says looking around the temple of Berun before leading him outside away from the priests and priestess of Berun as what her faith and theirs believed were very opposing when it came to what she was about to say. "You have only seen the dead used to destroy, harm, and cause pain in your life Pran. However where I come from, and our faith is built upon is that the dead are no more evil then us. They have a greater chance of falling to their darkness, however it is why we pick each soul carefully before allowing the process to take place. In Pacem most of the army is consisted of warriors known as the deathless, they are like typical undead, however they are infused with both positive and negative energy. And each warrior can trace their line back from the moment they died all the way to present day. We never give the gift of unlife lightly, the ties to this world and the people must be as strong as your own faith or else the darkness will find a way into their hearts and in time they will falter in their cause."

Sister Rosalind explains as she looks around at all the carnage. There were many dead, a great many who had the potential to become deathless no doubt, however her talents were not in such an art, and from what Pran had just told her the Mother had given him a small portion of the tool to help him determine who would be a good candidate. " Right now innocents are dying Pran and one of the Mothers first children is here now helping keep them safe. However he is alone in this chaos and has no one to help him, many of our own people would see him as evil and the temple of Berun would surely try to stop him as he is undead. However I believe you are here now in this moment to help him. He needs an army at his back Pran, and you can see the dead, do any of the souls look different to you, stand out in some way?" she asks trying to see if their might be a quick way to determine if they were suitable to become deathless.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    At Theo's declaration of commitment, Pran bows his head with respect. It is a strangely dignified movement in one barely more than a child; but there is something coming to fruition in Rosalind's former acolyte, and you sense you are glimpsing the man he will be through the last vestiges of his youth.

Pran takes a deep breath, steadying himself, before meeting Rosalind's gaze.

"I see much of the souls who come under our Lady's shadow," he confirms. "I see their true selves revealed, the caliber of the gift being offered to the Mother. I have not always been the best judge of character in the living; but the dead have no further place for pretence.

"Still, knowing who can and cannot be trusted with unlife is not the main issue.

"You and I may know the difference between the undead who serve the Betrayer, and those who are pledged to the Mother,"
    he continues in a softer voice. "But most people would be as terrified by an army of corpses as they are by the demons. I know what you ask of me, and there are many who have fallen this day and would answer my call - at least for the length of this crisis. But I will not summon them in a crowded city."

Then his expression becomes wry. "Listen to me. Army, indeed! I could probably summon half a dozen of the recently slain to fight at my side; but, unless you know something I don't, I just haven't the strength to muster the kind of force you describe."

Spoiler: Gunn and Yara
    Show
    After waiting a moment to see if either of you will speak first, Thuril clears his throat and gives a respectful bow to the newcomer.

"Greetings to you, Divine Maya, You who are called the Sorceress Eternal. Please accept our sympathies for the loss of Your servants and Your temple. Yet, if we do nothing, many more lives will be lost.

"We seek the Staff given to Your Guardian. With it, there is a chance to end this invasion and restore the balance long tipped away from the Heavens."

The Goddess regards him with a raised eyebrow. "All this I know - though your courtesy is a welcome surprise, son of Kharheim. What is less clear is whether your companions are set upon restoring the Shield of the Righteous to Herself - or whether they would, as has been alleged, seek to cast down the gods themselves.

"Ah - is that a flicker of recognition, Thomas Gunn? Were you so arrogant as to believe your meetings with the one called Torc went wholly unseen? We know those who would destroy Us tried to recruit you to their cause. If you would have Me entrust the Staff to you or your companions, I must first have an answer: did they succeed?"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

"At one point in time when the Betrayer first fell when he and his servants created undead many at first didn't see the difference and thought they were the Mothers, after all the Betrayer was born and received his gifts from her, so it was easy for him to quickly ruin the reputation of those who had been brought back to protect the living. Over time however his creations and those of the Mother's did have small differences, that someone like you or I would notice. In our day and age we face a much more difficult task on our hands, and it will take no doubt centuries to do. Where the Betrayer only had to do his work a few times to ruin the reputation of the deathless, we must work three times as hard to show the people that not all undead are evil and the work of the Betrayer. At some point we need to stand up and educate the people on the differences or else they will always remain ignorant to the truth. You say the people would be just as afraid of an undead army marching through the streets as the demons, and I agree. However what will that fear turn into when those same souls go and save a family from a trapped building? Fight off lesser demons so that the living may retreat? When a building is on fire and no one else will go in to save those trapped inside but the dead freely do so to protect the lives of those still living, that is the difference between those who serve the Mother, and those who serve the Betrayer still."

Sister Rosalind says to Pran, he may not like what she had to say, or agree with it, however he needed to hear the truth for one day very soon she would not be here and she was counting on him to continue the work she had started here in New Ganther. To nurture the growing kingdom and protect it from outsiders wishing to throw it into chaos. To help those who were sick and injured and could not help themselves. To defend those needing shelter, and to promote peace and understanding. Pran had a great deal to learn, and he was still far to young to grasp many of the things she wished she could teach him, however she had to try while she still had time on this plane.

"I believe the Temple of Bones could multiply your powers in such dealings as all negative energy comes from the Mother, it would simply take you a bit of time to find her original power in the chaos of whatever other powers pollute it. The choice is yours, however know even as we speak more demons are breaching, and thus I cannot stay more then a few more moments. The choice is yours, to show the people the difference or to leave our ally alone in the darkness to fight alone because of peoples fears and misconceptions. I have not been able to teach you like I should have Pran, and given your talents versus my own I suspect eventually I would not have been able to help you much at all besides be there to listen to you. However know this, the day you first asked to serve the Lover's I saw a spark in you that could change the world. What you do with it, for good or ill has always been and will always be your choice. Free will is the most precious thing the Mother and Father give to us, but we still must at the end of the day stay true to ourselves for no one else will be there when it is time to be judged." she says kindly, letting Pran know whatever he decided she would accept but he had to make a choice here and now as her and Theo had to leave with Manny to meet the others at the temple of bones.

9. - Top - End - #249

"In order to make a choice, one must have options. I explored their offering, but found their answers to my questions insufficient. I seek to preserve the status quo, in which I have attained power and profit. The business of the gods is of interest to me only insofar as it threatens the status quo, which if you survey the island in its current state, will find it does. I seek a resolution which will have the most minimal impact on us mortals. To that end, I am here to support my friends in their goal: restoring Charis, ending the demonic invasion, and returning New Ganthar to a state where its enemies are mortal, not supernatural," Gunn answers. "Believe me or don't, it is the truth."
    Last edited by esorscher; 2021-02-28 at 05:24 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #250

Yara was unsure how to respond to this apparition in the form of Katraya. Was this a form of ghost or spirit?
    But when Thuril spoke, she realised it wasn't so. An avatar of Maya. Did she take on Katraya's form for a familiar face or was Katraya made to look like her? Something to consider later, currently it was up to Gunn to convince her but she may need to help.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind and Theo
    Show
    Pran looks thoughtful.
    "The Temple of Bones... I well remember the power of that place. If it could be wrested from the Betrayer, it might suffice."

Meeting Rosalind's gaze, he smiles in an almost shy fashion, admiration in every line of his bearing. "You have been the best mentor I could hope for, Sister. I don't know what you saw in a hapless urchin, but I will always be grateful that you took me under your wing. Your wisdom is truly humbling; and if you say we should do this thing, I trust your judgment.

"Are you going to the Temple as well? I must say I would be glad of your company. Death may no longer hold much fear for me, but I would sooner not be devoured by a demon!"

Spoiler: Yara and Gunn
    Show
    The divine visitor regards Gunn with eyes that see clear to his soul, and nods slowly.

"I believe you, mortal."

She holds out a hand, and abruptly the Sapphire Staff is in her grasp.

"My sister and I disagreed about many things," She says quietly. "But the fate that has befallen Her is an evil I will no longer endure. Take the Staff; free Her from this most foul bandage.

"Be warned of this: many would rather Maltur destroy this city than risk the lives of the gods themselves. And the ritual you think to use carries just that risk. The gods are deadlocked on this issue; I have done all I can, just by giving you this artefact.

"Now, my favoured servant is dead - too weakened from her fight by your side to repel the demons when they came. Her spirit I have already claimed; but I will not leave her body in this state."

There is no spell voiced, no obscure gesture to direct otherworldly forces; but a pillar of intense white flame suddenly consumes the temple ruins, the heat of it like standing too close to a furnace. You blink away afterimages; when you can see again, Maya is gon.
    So too is every sign a temple ever stood here; only a circle of bare earth, already budding with grass and wild flowers, marks the site.

The Staff is in Gunn's hands, though he does not recall taking it. It quivers with pent energy, as though eager to act.

Thuril looks awed, but shakes it off quickly. With a nonchalant shrug, he spreads his hands.

"Well, that didn't take long. Which is just as well: the air grows thick with anticipation, with power building behind the rift. I suspect our time is almost at an end."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"The power sleeping there was once the Mother's, one half of a greater whole from what I understand. And when he tried to force one of the people who can control the ways between worlds to his side he invested far more than he believed. I plan on trying to take the power back, and return it to the Mother this day if I am able. I believe you could find a way to wrest control of smaller fragments of its that sleeping power and use it up until the point we get into a tug of war match. At which point your will would need to focus heavily on those you created to keep control of." she explains, letting him know that once they began what the others were going to do he would have to keep a constant hold on the power he was using so it didn't spiral out of control.

"I will be going to the temple as well, though for another matter. I can tell you all the demons that were a threat have been dealt with at the moment, though how long that holds true remains unclear as our ally is investigating an immortal trying to hide their presence and tampering here on this plane. Whatever happens I cannot be distracted by Malture and his minions so I will be counting on you to help our ally in my steed. As for what I saw in you Pran, hope and a wish to make the world better. It is easiest to find in children, however it is hard to cultivate and water. You were eager to learn and wished to fix what was broken even if it meant you had no more power than any other who worked at the hospice. I believe that is why the Mother choose you, the Father simply showed me you were there wanting to grow." she says with a warm smile before looking to Theo and Manny, stating they were ready to leave.

13. - Top - End - #253

Yara looks around the empty field where the temple once stood. One of her friends were dead along with their fellow clergy, an entire temple had been miracled away and the demon invasion wasn't even over yet. But Yara couldn't help thinking with a bit of distaste, couldn't Maya have stopped this? What stopped her from protecting her own temple at the very least? Were the gods lacking in power, in which case how did the temple vanish, were they uncaring, which wouldn't make sense in the case of some gods, or were they such limited beings that the thought would have never occurred to them?

"Well, the Maya worshippers will have to spend a fortune rebuilding," Yara said finally. She nods at Thuril, "We've got what we came for, lets go."
    Last edited by Timble; 2021-03-06 at 07:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo is grateful for Pran's calm demeanor in the moment; many who had experienced more years than this lad would panic in this moment. But they had to show haste. We must make for the Temple, yes, and the sooner the better. Let us be off! I know that you all abhor violence, so Pran, if you see my sword drawn, take cover and stay defensive. Sister Rosalind and I can handle anything that stands in our way.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The healers of Berun have little attention to spare from their tasks, fighting a war of their own to spare the wounded from joining the dead. Yet the High Priestess meets Rosalind's eye; her mouth is tightly compressed with loathing for this conflict, but the nod she gives the recently elevated Saint shows recognition that this is a battle which must be fought.

As agreed, you reconvene at the site where Maya's temple once stood. Looking at the perfect circle of blooming wildflowers where the building used to be, Pran's face grows pale, as though he sees some hidden darkness amidst the new life.

For all of the adventures you have shared, it is painfully apparent you go to face the most dangerous. The risk that some of you may not survive hangs in the air between you.

Between Manny, Thuril and Yara there is ample power here to take you directly to your destination; but now may be the time for any final words you wish to share, and any last minute preparations for the conflict to come.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

All right, everyone, Theo says addressing the group one final time before their biggest challenge to date. We have all sacrificed so much, worked so tirelessly, to get to the moment after this. Our next moment will likely be the final chapter for some of us. That may be our destiny. But if we lose today, it will not just our lives lost - if we lose, every soul in this world will be at the mercy of the divine embodiment of War. This cannot be allowed. I have already pledged my life in the cause to defeat Maltur, and it is He who comes to give us battle. I have fought alongside you all before, and though it has come to conflict between us at times in the past, I am happy to fight alongside you all today. If the strength leaves my arm before we finish the job, I am confident that every one of you would make haste to pick my sword up and finish the deed.

He looks to Perseus directly, though I do hope that you will not allow Sister Rosalind to pick it up before you. Such would be embarrassing he said in one final joke, hoping that a few smiles would make it easier to face certain doom in the eye.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257

Perseus looks at Theo, stoic as ever. Then, a smile starts to appear on his lips, followed by a barking laughter. Gunn looks at his dwarven companion, and smirks. "I don't think I've ever heard a dwarf laugh," he says with a chuckle. Then the smile fades, and his expression darkens to a more serious one. He tightens his grip on the Staff of Maya, ready for their final act.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: At the temple of Berun
    Show
    As Mother Matilda meets Rosalind's eyes she simply smiles at the woman before bowing her head, as if saying everything would be alright, before turning to depart with Pran and Theo.

When they arrive at where the temple of Maya once stood Sister Rosalind is shocked to see it so changed, and given Pran's face it is clear it is a mass graveyard for the entire clergy. Had she not asked Sister Katraya to help her who knows if this would have happened, she had left herself and her temple weak to help Rosalind in a task that aided her not at all and she had lost her life in the process. Sister Rosalind had hoped the woman would have had a chance to recover before anything like this could happen, and seeing she wasn't able to brought her a great deal of personal pain. And seeing Pran's face she could tell he saw all the lost souls there. "Look at all the Flowers they have become Pran, just like in the next life for the Mother. Each shall be remembered when we have a chance, until then, they must first be avenged. Yara, I take it you used your new found powers to do this?" Sister Rosalind asks cautiously, unsure if the new godling had already begun to shape the world.

"Your blade would only hinder me Theo, my own hands are my most powerful tools. I would loss far more than I would gain by lifting up your sword, but I will make sure it is returned to your temple should you fall." she assures him before looking to Gunn. "We have not always seen eye to eye on what is best for the people, and how best to serve them, however I do not want our last words to be on bad terms. If you live I would like to donate 100,000 gold to the restoration of the poor quarters to build a school for the poor to learn as well as a smaller trust in which people can go and ask for money to pay to learn a trade. This will help the vision we share grow and with luck make the people of the poor quarters life easier. And the beneficiary of the remainder of the trust I would like to pass on to Pran and Sister Margline together to rebuild the temple of the Lovers and open the clinic once more to protect the people of the poor district as well as treat them for their illnesses." Sister Rosalind says hoping that Gunn would be able to make a better future for the people with that money, while making sure Pran and Margline would be looked after once she was gone to remake the temple and hospice.

"Perseus, we may have started on the wrong foot, however I consider you a trusted friend after the adventures we have shared. If you live please be an advocate for peace between New Ganther and Kharheim in my steed. Do not let the bloodriver clan get away with the trearcy they tried to pull over both of our people." she says to the dwarf not really knowing what else to say.

Turning to Yara Rosalind looks at her curiously. "When first we meet you were possessed by a demon, and now you hold the powers of a god in your hand. Remember that even the most humble beginnings can be led astray with power Yara. Knowledge is a great tool, however leads down many roads that are not always savory or morally acceptable. If you will keep your powers remember your story and the story of the one who came before you to keep you humble. Do not become the dragon that hoards for the sake of doing so." she cautiously warns knowing that Yara was still new to her powers, and no doubt still unsure what she wished to do with them. All knowledge was at her fingertips good and bad, she had to be careful now and understand when to use her gifts.

Lastly the priestess of the Lovers turns to Theo. "A lot rides on us not dying until the battle is over you know. Try and make my job a little easier." she half jokes before adding, " If you fall before I do I will ask for a guide to walk you to the hall. But be warned there are things greater than death beyond the veil to fear. Protect those that walk with you, and use the light to your advantage." she says finish saying her possible last words.

19. - Top - End - #259

Yara shakes her head at Rosalind's question.
    "Maya took her temple, leaving this garden."

At Theo's speech, Yara thinks on death. She had died before, she could die again. But she knew what lay beyond, and presumably her fate had changed with her redemption. Dying didn't worry her, but failing did.

"Thank you, Rosalind," Yara replied to the priestess. She did not have much else to say, as she had already figured out how she was going to use her power. She was going to change the world.

Spoiler: OOC Power Resistance - Special Offer
    Show
    Offering Power Resist 31 to whoever wants it. Also Mind Blank but that may still be active. Also, who has cast spells on us that are still active?

20. - Top - End - #260

"Well, this is it," Gunn says with a nod to Rosalind. "Any last minute preparations before we go?"

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Haste on everyone.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Once your preparations are complete, you teleport to the Mountain of Skulls, and the ruined temple atop the Daughter's ancient prison.

By the eerie light of the rift above, the crumbling stone edifice seems more otherworldly than ever. The altitude makes the air cool enough that your breath mists in front of your eyes; but it is not solely the cold that elicits a shiver in this monument to undeath.

The site is crawling with activity. As best you can determine, a three-sided battle is underway: approaching the ruin on all sides and filling the air above you are demons of every kind you can name and many you can't; occupying the ruin itself are numerous undead, fighting a defensive battle that seems to be gradually falling further and further back; and to the south west of the ruin, on your right and about 80' away from you, Bhatren and the warriors of Kharheim are grimly forcing their way through the melee.

It is clear that Thuril has to restrain an immediate urge to rush to his kinsmen; instead he waits, looking to you for permission or instructions.

Pran, meanwhile, has eyes only for the undead, his lip curling in distaste. "The Betrayer is at work here," he says quietly, his youthful voice cracking with emotion and conviction.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

As the group prepares to leave Sister Rosalind begins casting a few spells upon her friends, knowing every little bit will help in the coming minutes, and even the smallest ray of hope would be the difference between life and death.

Spoiler: Spell's Cast
    Show

(SLA) Bless 17 Minutes +1 Morale bonus on attack rolls, and Saves against fear
    Path of the Exalted to use her ties to the Mother and the realm of the dead to help her know what the best thing to do about the Daughter is
    Mass Resist Energy (Electricity) 170 Minutes 30 points of electricity damage absorbed from each attack (as the daughter is Charis who is known for Electricity seems like a good idea)
    Night Shield 17 Minutes +3 Resistance bonus to Saves and blocks magic missile (Gunn, Theo, Perseus)
    Life's Grace on Theo as I can resurect just about everyone else with ease. Him getting hit with negative levels will hurt a lot more

As the group arrives at the top of the mountain Sister Rosalind cannot help but revert back to her human habits as she begins to breath in the sight before her, her breath misting in the colder climate. A great battle is going on and while all her instincts tell her to banish and destroy the undead, they were holding the demons at bay at the moment, even if they were slowly losing ground. It meant the Betrayer and Malture had two very different ideas of how to deal with the daughter. And division in their ranks only served to help her and her allies at the moment.

"As is Malture child, their forces are not working together even though they are allies for the most part meaning they both want different things when it comes to the power that lays dormant here. We can use this to our advantage as the two groups will weaken each other." she says to herself as she mentally tries to contact Melchizar and inform him that they had arrived at the temple of bones and of what she saw, asking if his own investigation had born any fruit.

"Gunn, Theo, I think we should allow our friends who are not needed for the ritual to go to our dwarven allies and aid them. This will better their chances of reaching the temple while also conserving our strength while the undead and demons fight each other." she points out believing that Pran, Manny, and Thuril would make the most impact helpping their other allies outside secure the temple and killing the demons. "Pran normally I would say destroy these undead, however we may need them. Try to wrest control of those closest to our allies by following the strand that belongs to the Mother. If you cannot convert them destroy them if they get to close to you and those in your care. No that no matter what happens after today you have my respect and my blessing Pran. I trust you to use the Mother's gifts as she guides you while I go and use the Father's to do his will." she says giving him a quick hug before turning to Yara and asking, though it is clear she is very uncomfortable doing so. "Is there any way your newfound ability could help refuel my spells? It would give us a better chance once inside."

23. - Top - End - #263

Thomas Gunn takes a moment to reflect on how far he has come. From a street urchin to a mob lawyer to nobility, and now here, on the precipice of becoming a savior of the world. Even his wildest dreams had been fulfilled, and then some. He tightens his grip on the staff in his hand, and nods to Rosalind. "Let us make haste, and quickly. The battle we see is a distraction. It can not be won, only ended--and we are the ones to end it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Fly on himself, Haste on everyone. Are we still doing Dream Travel to get straight to the portal?

24. - Top - End - #264

Yara looks on the battle uncomfortable with not being able to do anything directly about it. She was needed inside.

"I presume I can grant spells to my worshippers, but I'm not sure if I can do so to you. Perhaps my divine energy can substitute that of your gods?" Yara says to Rosalind, trying to think over the possibilities.
    Show
    I guess this is an ask the DM if this can happen kind of thing.

"Alright, we have no time to join the battle or fight through it. Anyone who's here for the ritual take hold of me."
    Once everyone was ready, Yara began to tear a passage through the plane of dreams. With all demons about, the Daughter awakening and the general ancient evilness of the place, she wondered what dreams they would encounter. But the distance was very short, a few seconds shouldn't be to dangerous.
    Spoiler: Dream travel
    Show
    Taking the group as close to the Daughter's room as possible, inside it if on the same plane/accessible through dream travel.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As Yara considers Rosalind's request, she mentally takes stock of her own abilities. In so doing, she realises that some residual energy from her time within the Light at the heart of the Heavens still remains. It is not much in comparison to the crucible of power that made possible her own rebirth; but it might be enough to do what Rosalind asks, to refresh her and the others for the battle ahead.

Is that coincidence, Yara wonders? Or did Relath, in equipping her to battle His enemy, foresee this need and plan accordingly?

Ultimately it matters little. It is a gift to be gratefully received, whatever its origin.

Show
    Yara can give all the PCs a one-off blessing, that will restore all hit points, spells and power points. Spells can be prepared freely.

Pran and Thuril prepare to join the fray. The eyes of the former acolyte turn black as he draws deeply on the powers of the Mother; ahead of him, the undead abruptly turn on their peers, creating a path through which they can walk freely.

Rosalind tries to warn Melchizar of this development; but, for whatever reason, is unable to reach him. A troubling development, but one there is no time to fully explore.

A brief act of will by Yara casts you into the realm of dreams, bearing you effortlessly past the conflict to the chamber where the Daughter - or rather, if what you have been told is to be believed, the essence of Charis Herself bound in an undead body - lies imprisoned. You revert to reality precisely where you intended: in the rough-hewn rock cavern, standing over the pit that had caged a deity and surrounded by the shattered remnants of the ancient seal. But there is no warding magic in that pit; and the body of Sigrid the Foresworn lies on its face in front of the hole, lifeless and dessicated, no longer a bulwark against the captive's escape.

Three figures form a sinister tableau on the opposite side of the hole. One kneels in chains of black fire: a gaunt and pale mockery of the Charis you recognise from statue and vision, dressed in tattered rags that were once fine robes, eyes milky white and lifeless as they stare up at the second figure.

That other is the dwarf Durhelim, the Rune Warden you met in Kharheim; but there is something in his bearing and demeanour that implies his will is no longer his own. Even were that not the case, the negative "light" of the fiery chains makes it possible to see a second presence superimposed over the dwarf's own.

Each of you cannot help but feel a moment of dread at the sight: for here stands Vlarath the Shade, known to Rosalind as the Betrayer, the dark god of undeath. Most of his form is smoke and darkness: you glimpse a broken skull within his head, illuminated from within by the emerald flame of his eyes; and a skewed ribcage silhouetted against a shrivelled heart that burns with the same unnatural fire. Each beat of that heart resonates through you, a bass note that makes reality itself shiver.

As for the third member of the tableau, his presence is a knife to the heart. Black blade in hand, looking to Rosalind with eyes that plead for understanding, Melchizar is back at the right hand of the Betrayer.

Into the silence that follows, Durhelim's voice - underlaid with eerie synchronicity by a rasping graveyard whisper - voices a greeting.

"At last," he says with satisfaction. "After all this time, the pieces are in place. And the age of the gods can finally end."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

My Lady, Theo mutters, a tear welling up in each eye. He blinks twice to dismiss the salt, and mutters again. My Lady, if You are still in there, I swear to you that the Betrayer will not win this fight. If You are in there, please, show me. Show me that it is not too late to save You. He says at near-whisper.

His voice then turns into a roar, with the might of a commander of Bastion. Vlarath, Betrayer, Corrupter, Foe, hear me. You will not emerge victorious. How can you, a man without friends? You have allies, sure. Products of your corruption to be certain, but no friends. But we here are Legion - friends and allies - with one goal, one mission, who sacrificed and bled and suffered together, who learned and grew and rose together. Theo looked to his right and his left, a small force with the strength of armies; arcane, psionic, and divine energy seldom rivaled by mortals, wielding artifacts of mythical power. There was not a team more prepared for this fight, and Theo was proud to defend the world beside them. His eyes returned to the enemy on the other side of the great pit, and drew the ancestral sword of heroes. This is our fight to win, and yours to lose. Good won before and Good will win again, and you will once again be thwarted, and this time it will be permanent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would Theo have been able to cast Divine Power on himself before Yara teleports us? If so, Theo will cast Righteous Might. If not, Theo casts Divine Power. How wide around is the pit?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2021-04-10 at 12:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

As Yara contemplates her new found powers and states she is unsure, explaining why Sister Rosalind nods her head in understanding ready to face the end with what she had left when divine energy flowed into her awakening her mind fully as if the Lovers had once more given her her powers. She felt sure of her decision and knew what she had to do, it was just doing it that would be hard for her.

When the priestess of the lovers tries to inform Melchizar of what is going on she notices something disturbing and quickly glances to Gunn. "You may have been right, the helm may be our ace if what I believe happened is true. I trust you will know when best to use it." Sister Rosalind says, knowing that the Mother had made it so that Gunn would be able to use the item once before being able to fall to the Betrayers power over the artifact.

What Rosalind sees as she arrives is shocking to say the least. She had expected to see undead yes, but not the betrayer himself in mortal form, as well as Melchizar by his side with the Daughter bound. Sigrid's lifeless body also did not help, for while they had been enemies as well as allies in different times in the past month, she had respected the dwarf for standing by her decisions even when the rest of her people turned against her.

As Theo calls forth the rallying cry to battle Rosalind cannot take her eyes from Melchizar, in her heart she had hoped he would not fall back so easily, and so when he did and the others words were proven right it stung her deeply. Reaching out with her mind she tries to find a grasp of the connection they shared briefly and latch onto it."You recently swore an oath to me Melchizar, and said trust works both ways. I trusted you to do what you had to in honor of our deal. When you said you were coming to investigate I did not question why, I only showed worry for your safety and then I find you here once more by his side. Tell me it is not what I think Melchizar." the priestess of the Lover's silently communicates to the first vampire, the light that normally surrounds her flickering ever so slightly as she looks on. She was not afraid of the three working together, but saddened that he would never be free from his own curse by going back once more to the Betrayer's feet. She would destroy them both as the Father had instructed long ago and carry out the oath she had sworn even if it killed her.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    The communication spell was not designed to be silent, but you hope it can be repurposed.

For a moment, you are not sure if Melchizar heard your mental plea. Then, a sigh fills your thoughts.

"It is not in my nature to break an oath, Sister Rosalind. But I am what I am. Vlaarath means to bring the age of immortals to an end. To end the war I was created to fight. I must consider who has the first claim on my loyalty."

"Indeed he must."
    The rasping, glacial tones of the Betrayer fill your thoughts, piggybacking on your spell to speak directly into your mind. The foul presence in your thoughts is physically painful, like the sudden sharp stab of a migraine. Melchizar falls silent, shaking his head as he watches you with unnerving intensity. He does not seem surprised by the Betrayer's interjection.

Durhelim's mouth curves into a mocking smile that has nothing of the honourable people of Kharheim in it, as he answers Theo's challenge. "Typical sermonizing from one of Tariel's get. That tiresome creature should have been gelded early on. At least then, I wouldn't have to listen to variations of the same speech every time I turn around.

"You think your ideals will guarantee you victory? You have only to look to history to see it isn't so.

"Look at you, the high priest of nothing, Champion of a cause long lost. You stand there, trusting your goddess to save you - well, here she is! Does she seem worthy of your faith?"

He kicks the chained form of the Daughter in the head, and she flies several feet away to land in a sprawled heap on her side. She eyes the possessed dwarf with animalistic, impotent hatred; but there is nothing in her face to hint at the qualities Theo loves in his goddess. If Charis truly exists within this galvanised corpse, she is buried deep indeed.

With the black fire moved some distance away, the Shade can no longer be seen as Durhelim turns to Yara; but his words leave no doubt who is controlling his tongue. "Little sister. Should I bid you welcome to the ranks of the immortals? At least you had the nerve to seize the power you wanted, even if you had to scavenge the remains of others' kills to get it. But you let that eager puppy Relath dictate terms to you; and in so doing, proved yourself unworthy of respect.

"But fear not; your tenure as a godling will be short indeed."

Turning to Gunn, he tuts and shakes his head, wagging his finger like a disappointed headmaster. "As for you, you had the chance to choose the winning side, and blew it. You think the tyranny of the gods is a price worth paying for their protection? Where is that protection now, as the hordes of demonkind slaughter your citizens?

"I was the first to see it, you know. The first to realise that life under the heel of powers who view us as chattels to be toyed with - or given as a favour to the object of their desire - is an intolerable form of slavery. When first I seized the power to rebel, and led the cause of freedom in glorious battle against our hated overlords, I thought too small. I was a man with a sharp stick facing a dragon in its lair. I, too, was fool enough to think the justice of my cause would see me through."
    He looks over at Theo as he says that last, a roll of his eyes showing he appreciates the irony.

"Well, I learned the lesson of my defeat. Long have I toiled to reach this moment, when at last the means to secure universal suffrage is at hand. And the truth is I have you all to thank - you and the willing accomplices to slavers you follow."

He glances at Perseus. "Although perhaps I should not be surprised you would do so, considering how you treat your friends. Has this warrior enough will of his own even to perceive his enslavement? I think not. And the rest of you are just as blinded."

Finally he looks to Rosalind.

"And so we come to you. What is there to be said to the servant of my would-be oppressors? Be it naivety or zealotry, you have chosen to blindly follow where a more prudent mind would question. I expect no mercy from you, who have been brainwashed from the beginning, and will grant you none. But know that you have my pity."

29. - Top - End - #269

"Vlarath, you're either a liar or a useless twit. Your key creations are undead that just kill people. Chattel are all I've seen you and your allies create, from vampires and their prey to expendable Maltur cultists. Your master plan is swarming the material plane with demons to take control of a discarded goddess? Who do you think will be alive to appreciate the world you bring, and will you be able to give up your own power to finally end the gods?"
    "And Melchizar, you are definitely just a fool. Your allies will definitely kill you out of self preservation, hells I'd kill you even if you changed sides now. You're a useless remnant of a time that no longer matters, if you cannot change then no one will see you as more then disposable."
    "I advise both of you to run. Find a deep hole in another plane to cower in for eternity. I finally have the vision and power to make the world better. No pacts with demons and devils, no subservience to divinities. Remove yourself from the way or be removed."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The possessed Runewarden raises an eyebrow at Yara's words.

"I am a creature of negative energy, as you would call it.
    Undeath is my curse and, alas, my creations must share in it. But I am fighting a war: should it surprise you that I create weapons?

"It is true that I sought to end the worship of Torae by the proliferation of necromancy in general, and some of the more repugnant forms of undead in particular. I wrongly believed that Torae, like the lesser immortals, needed worshippers to fuel her strength. Alas, that is not the case.

"Let me be clear: the noblest of ends justify the foulest of means. I would gladly slaughter nine tenths of creation, if it left the remainder free. But this invasion is not my doing. No: that is Maltur, seeking to stop me now He has realised my true objective.

"It is of no moment. Soon he will be dead, along with the rest of the pantheon. And I will have the power of all twenty of my peers: power enough to march into Torae's domain and end her despicable rule.

"So let me offer you some advice of my own. Hand over the artefacts, and I will let you mortals leave unharmed.
    As for you, Yara, I can make no such pledge; but your death will be swift and relatively painless, and will advance the most fundamental cause in existence."