Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question What material should the parts of a magical katana be made out of?

I've been poking around on google for a while now and I'm not finding the answers I'm looking for. I've read that ivory can be both good and bad. Same with jade. What sort of material should I use to make the hilt of my sword that has a design on the end? The design is a roaring lion's head if that matters. Detail involved in that. The guard is made of mithril. The blade I'm not sure what to make it out of but looks like the blade is made out of a single piece of ice with electricity flickering in and around it. It's going to be a katana if that matters? Slightly curved blade also. It's not something I personally will be crafting. It will be an item we discovered/found.

“The Kryton” (“The Lion's Roar”)+3 frost, shock katana/nodachi. (can deal frost or shock damage as desired by the wielder. This can be changed as a standard action)
    This +3 frost shock nodachi looks like the blade is made out of a single piece of ice with electricity flickering in and around it. The hilt looks to be made out of a single piece of some form of jade with a roaring lion's head at the end. The guard is made of mithril.
    Once per week, the sword can shoot forth a Cone of Cold as if cast by a 11th level caster. Anyone caught in the cone must make a Will save or be under the effects of a slow spell as if cast by a 5th level caster.
    Once per week it can also shoot forth a lightning bolt as if cast by a 5th level caster.

Should I just make it ALL out of mithril since it's the strongest metal?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: What material should the parts of a magical katana be made out of?

IIRC Adamantium is tougher than mithril, plus it is tied to a DR. If you prefer both, mithril handle for show and adamantium for effect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    Why do you think mithril is the strongest metal?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I read somewhere "Adamant is one of the hardest substances known, but it is also brittle. A sword made of adamant could slice through most metals but would snap off if struck by another blade or even a smartly wielded wooden cudgel."
    That's about ADAMANT not adamantite.
    Adamantine
    This alloy, of five-eighths adamant to two-eighths silver and one-eighth electrum (itself a natural alloy of silver and gold) retains the hardness of adamant, but combines it with a rugged durability that makes adamantine so hard to shatter that it is the favored substance for the making of war hammer heads, the best nonmithral armor, and harbor chains.

So my mistake.

5. - Top - End - #5

RangerGuy

Mithral counts as silver for bypassing DR.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Seriously? That's sweet! Where can I see the official rule on that?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Adamantium is in no way brittle, it's insanely durable, possibly the hardest material to sunder (though I wouldn't be surprised if some weird nigh invulnerable self healing material exists in a random splat), it also beats a type of DR and bypasses hardness for when you want to hack through the wall because the door is trapped.

Of course you actually want one each and a third made from cold iron because DR exists.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

So I want an adamantium, a silver & a cold iron? Or I guess i should say an adamantium (that also covers silver) and a cold iron?

What about the hilt? Again something very strong but also carveable for the lion's head at the butt end.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Obviously for the hilt, you would want a solidified scream of a banshee.

10. - Top - End - #10

Kobold

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...aterials-Index

Here's some of my favorites

Abyssal Bloodiron: replicates cold iron, bonus to confirm crits. PH

Adamantine: bypasses /adamantine damage reduction, ignores hardness 20 and below when used to sunder items. DMG

Baatorian Green Steel: enhancement bonus to damage. A&EG

Cyrite (Arcane Steel): bypasses /magic damage reduction PGtE

Darksteel: deals bonus electricity damage. MoF

Fever Iron: deals bonus fire damage. MoF

Hizagkuur: deals bonus electricity damage. MoF updated on page 157 of Underdark adds bonus fire and electricity damage, considered silver and adds cold resistance for armor

Oerthblood: must be primarily metallic, +1 luck bonus on att and dmg, and applies a penalty if hit, Dragon Magazine 351 pg 45

Pearlsteel: reduces the penalties of using a weapon underwater. SW

Solarian Truesteel: bonus to confirm crits. BoED

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    Mithral counts as silver for bypassing DR.
    Not necessarily, depending on the system. It's true in Pathfinder, but not, I believe, in 3.5.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Do you by chance know what pages of the DMG this info is on? I can't find it anywhere sorry. The others seem to rare sounding. Never heard of them actually. lol.

13. - Top - End - #13

RangerGuy

Do you by chance know what pages of the DMG this info is on? I can't find it anywhere sorry. The others seem to rare sounding. Never heard of them actually. lol.
    Adamantium and Mithral are p283-4
    Last edited by RNightstalker; 2020-05-10 at 01:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Why does it matter what material the hilt is made out of? As far as I know, only the material of the blade itself is going to have any mechanical effects.
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

15. - Top - End - #15

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Why does it matter what material the hilt is made out of? As far as I know, only the material of the blade itself is going to have any mechanical effects.
    Maybe dude wants to have a sword that looks bad to the bone?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Adamantium is in no way brittle, it's insanely durable, possibly the hardest material to sunder.
    Just a small note, a brittle material does not have to be weak. Brittleness simply means that it'll deform very little before breaking. Metals tend to deform a lot before breaking (making them not brittle), while something like carbon fiber tends to deform very little, making it a brittle material.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I remember reading that katanas were forged from low-quality iron, which is why they were folded so many times -- and the folding is why they get the pretty ripple patterns on the blades.

So for an authentic katana, you ought to start with lower-quality metal.

18. - Top - End - #18

Kobold

Most of the materials aren't in the DMG. The letters at the end of each for my post are the acronyms for what books they're from!
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2020-05-10 at 02:01 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Whatever it;s made out of, it needs to be folded over 1000 times
    Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

20. - Top - End - #20

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    IIRC they don't fold it that many times, but when they keep folding it there are over 1000 layers which helps it stay sharp. One thing I think they did do right in 3.x is make katana's masterwork by default.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    That sort of folding only makes a katana the finest blades known to mankind.

Dwarves and elves ought to retain access to even better blades.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

So, in a "what would you take if going to Konasuba (sp?)" thread, I, not knowing the Anime, choose "my katana". It is a (needlessly?) overly-complex version of what you seem to want to make.

Short version, it's a hilt that's "bigger on the inside", able to store multiple blades. 9 such blades (all most know about) can be accessed by stroking the corresponding "tail" of the 9-tailed fox that adorns the hilt. Or by willing it forth (the "tails" work even for those who are unaware of these blades).

The 9 blades are different materials - silver, cold iron, adamantine, Kuni crystal, etc. All are enchanted to +1.

The hilt can provide any of several enchantments to the blade (chosen by will, or by pressing a small gemstone corresponding to the power): Flaming, Frost, Keen, etc.

-----

In general, I'm fond of the idea of forging the blade and its twin from iron from the blood of 1,000 X (humans, elves, orcs, whatever), because I did the math once, and found that the blood of an average human contains one five hundredth of the iron necessarily to forge a katana.

In your case? Make it from a lightning bolt that got trapped in ice somehow.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2020-05-10 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Autocorrect

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    That sort of folding only makes a katana the finest blades known to mankind.
    Not true, they just have really good PR.

As for the blade, I believe uranium is the traditional material we are supposed to reply with.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Fulgurite! That's the word I was looking for!

So, take some sand to the Arctic North, or to the elemental plane of cold or whatever. Control Weather to get lightning to strike the sand. Magic it to ice. Forge into katana.

No real statistical benefits, just coolness.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder999 View Post
    Adamantium is in no way brittle, it's insanely durable, possibly the hardest material to sunder (though I wouldn't be surprised if some weird nigh invulnerable self healing material exists in a random splat), it also beats a type of DR and bypasses hardness for when you want to hack through the wall because the door is trapped.
    Only bypasses hardness of less than 20 in 3.5- so not other adamanatine, or magically reinforced steel, nor mithril with a +3 or higher bonus, or stuff with sufficiently strong Hardening spells, or. . . And yes, there is the infinity +1 "Obdurium" in Stronghold Builder's Guide, because someone wanted a nonmagical metal with hardness 30 (and double hit points), and there's also Aurorum in Book of Exalted Deeds which will re-fuse itself with all magic intact if you assemble the pieces.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Just a small note, a brittle material does not have to be weak. Brittleness simply means that it'll deform very little before breaking. Metals tend to deform a lot before breaking (making them not brittle), while something like carbon fiber tends to deform very little, making it a brittle material.
    And adamantine only has 33% more hit points than steel, and steel swords don't actually have very many hit points. If you can break through or ignore the hardness, adamantine is only slightly less "brittle" than steel. Or if you compare the ratios, for being twice as hard it only has 2/3 of twice the hit points.
    Attention Imgur Users! Imgur apparently doesn't like hosting images anymore and only works in certain places or for people who already have the image cached: No one can see your avatars or images!
    Also Photobucket users? Don't know if it's a bandwidth or region lock or something, but I'm seeing some avatars blurred out with a watermark that looks like the photobucket icon.
    And Tinypic went down a while back, seeing plenty of old avatars showing their downed image.
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

The strongest metal in the whole D&D 3.5 is Oerthblooded Pure Ore Obdurium!

Obdurium has Hardness and HP: 30/60 per inch of thickness.

Get it in Pure Ore form, meaning the purest form of the metal, doubles the hardness and HP = 60/120

Oerthblood, (a magical alloy mixed into the pure ore obdurium) further doubles hardness and one and a half times the hp = 120/180. Furthermore, Oerthblood also reduces the enchantment cost and time by 25%

So no, mithral is far far far from the strongest metal!
    Last edited by Max Caysey; 2020-05-10 at 04:56 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Not true, they just have really good PR.

As for the blade, I believe uranium is the traditional material we are supposed to reply with.
    I believe he was referencing a copypasta meme. Can I sig this?

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Maybe dude wants to have a sword that looks bad to the bone?
    I was actually thinking of a bone handle but how would I make it strong enough not to break? Would that just happen when enchanted or would there be something specific I would need to do? And yes it is just for looks no other reason. Just to be different.

thanks for the pages note in the DMG RNightstalker

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Fulgurite! That's the word I was looking for!

So, take some sand to the Arctic North, or to the elemental plane of cold or whatever. Control Weather to get lightning to strike the sand. Magic it to ice. Forge into katana.

No real statistical benefits, just coolness.
    Maybe a poly any item spell to shape it? :)
    Last edited by eyebreaker7; 2020-05-10 at 05:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    The strongest metal in the whole D&D 3.5 is Oerthblooded Pure Ore Obdurium!

Obdurium has Hardness and HP: 30/60 per inch of thickness.

Get it in Pure Ore form, meaning the purest form of the metal, doubles the hardness and HP = 60/120

Oerthblood, (a magical alloy mixed into the pure ore obdurium) further doubles hardness and one and a half times the hp = 120/180. Furthermore, Oerthblood also reduces the enchantment cost and time by 25%

So no, mithral is far far far from the strongest metal!
    Got a source?

30. - Top - End - #30

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by RNightstalker View Post
    Got a source?
    Obdurium is from Stronghold Builders Guidebook

Pure Ore version is from Dragon magazine #347

Oerthblood is from Dragon Magazine #351