New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Getting reliable Advantage on attacks? (as DM Monk)

Hi

I'm joining a game in progress and coming in at level 8. I'm going to be playing a Elven Drunken Master Monk. (Stats are done using a house-rule system, so the stat bonus from races doesn't matter that much really, you can assume I have 20 dex/wis at this point)

Now one thing is, at first level we all get a free feat from the racial list of the race, which for elves is rather limited. As such Elven Accuracy seems to be the best choice here.
    So the +1 to either dex or wisdom alone is already a nice help, and the tripple advantage when I get it is awesome.

Which means now I'm looking into ways to actually capitalize on that, increase the amount of Advantages I can get.

First, I was considering a 2 level dip into Barbarian for Reckless Attack, but then realized that only works with Strength, which I don't wanna do (and Rage would have been wasted there too). Yes strength based angry drunk could be fun, but... no.
    2 levels in rogue would give me sneak attack, which would probably not work, since neither a quarterstaff or spear nor my fists are actually finesse. And the Cunning Action to hide would give me advantage on my first attack but eats my bonus action, so also a terrible idea.

But that's really all I came up with so far. Any more ideas how I can get advantage, more or less reliably?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Getting reliable Advantage on attacks? (as DM Monk)

Shove enemies prone. You'll sacrifice one attack, and your ranged teammates may not like it....but it'll benefit any other melee allies.
    Nets work, though you'll sacrifice two attacks that way (can't make another attack with the action you're using to throw a net), and require either SS or CE feat to avoid disadvantage (or both). Also not a monk weapon, so no Martial Arts, though it does work with Flurry of Blows. You may get someone else to throw it.
    The good ol' Darkness/Devil Sight combo. 3 levels of warlock required, though. Rest of your group may not be happy about that.
    Familiar using Help, though that only helps on one attack.
    Get a wolf totem barbarian ally. Only works when he's raging.
    Somewhat untraditionally: Mounted combatant and... well, something beefier than a horse, considering you're level 8. Elephants are surprisingly cheap in PHB, though they have logistical issues. You'll get advantage against anything smaller than your mount.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.