New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dancing Fox Inn 97: Roman Numerals Are Stupid

Welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn! Come and try our one of a kind beverages and food, chat with friends, or grab a private room and relax. All are welcome to the Dancing Fox Inn.

We would like to ask, please, no smoking in the establishment unless you are on fire. We understand that there are often exceptions. Thank you for understanding. Be sure to enjoy your stay.
    If your characters are upstairs, please say so to avoid confusing the other occupants

Description:
    The inn is . . . indescribable. Size wise, anyway. It has as many tables as needed, and as many chairs as needed. So that needn't be said as well.

The floors are smooth hewn logs. In fact the whole inn is made of wood, with a solid foundation of stones. There is a downstairs common room of tables and private booths, and an upstairs with bedrooms. There is a bar, behind the bar is a kitchen. The tables and seats are made of well-lacquered and cared-for wood, old but cleaned often. The private booths are also made of wood but the seats are cushioned with new upholstery of deep, earthy colors. There is also a basement that acts as storage for the drinks and food (and a secret meeting place). Access to the basement is through the kitchen.

Mist Anders is usually at the bar, with all sorts of convenient tools in his pockets. The fox-boy is currently the bartender and the waiter despite co-owning the place, but don't worry, his hands won't shed into your drinks.
    Kitsuki is around the inn, waiting tables and keeping things running. Just don't stare at her poofy dress. Or the tails that it's supposed to be hiding.
    Kestrel is...around. He does lots of things, and it's kind of difficult to pin down what he's doing and where he's doing it at any given time.

The inn as a whole can be described as homey, and great pains have been taken to fix it up and make it as good as new where it counts. New paint, new wood, everything. It's not the kind of thing to be shiny, but if it was, Mist would have gotten it sparkling.
    Current Staff:
    Mist Anders- Barkeep And Waiter And Owner (Deathkeeper)
    Kitsuki - Waitress (Gulaghar)
    Kestrel- Janitor, Medic, and All-Purpose Employee (recaiden)
    Empty - Bard

HIRING: Pretty covered right now.
    THE MENU:
    Spoiler
    Show

Under Complete Overhaul. Until it's done, just ask Mist or Kitsuki for something.

Wines*:
    Fender Bender Mender: A nice wine mixed with a healing potion. Comes in non-alcoholic. No one can quite decide on what it tastes like, as it likes healing taste-buds and making itself taste divine.
    Bar Drinks*: Nuka Cola Cleansed. A fairly decent knock-off without the unfortunate ingredient of radiation. Plus all sorts of other things on tap!
    Beers, Ales & Such*: If it's found in the Nexus, there's probably a pint of it somewhere
    Food: Roast Pheasant, barbecued ribs, fresh fruit, and honestly anything you could probably think of. Once we have a cook, that is.
    Dessert:

*Can substitute the alcohol for a magical liquid that can make anybody drunk, no matter what the resistance, for a little extra.

Some Excellent Poems
    Dancing Fox Inn and DFI '09
    The Ballad of the Inn
    We Dream of a Town
    Spoiler
    Show

Side note: The DFI is not in any way, shape, or form, inside Inside. It's just a quiet little place off somewhere, that would like to stay free from apoco-plots, various inter-warring factions, and all that jazz.
    Everyone is equally welcome here, just please leave it at the door.

And, as such,
    On Violence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The DFI is a peaceful place. There has been some IC, as well as OoC, talk about it, and the end result is 'please, for the sake of everyone else, don't do it'. If you want to fight, go elsewhere.
    If you insist on fighting here, you will probably find your weapons turning into nerf versions of what they used to be, until you leave. After you leave they'll be returned to what they should be.
    If you try to teleport someone out so you can kill them, it will fizzle and not work. Teleporting out in order to go do plot or RP stuff is fine. Just not to work around the rules and kill someone.
    Lastly, if you choose to ignore these and keep trying to fight, you will either be ignored, or the entire inn and everyone else in it will be teleported off somewhere else, leaving you where it had been completely alone.
    Or, you might find that there's a Nerf gun in your holster instead of your Glock. And a cheese stick in your knife sheathe. And generally other odd coincidences which would make that loadout rather useless.

Though please just don't.

Enjoy your stay.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2020-05-12 at 10:50 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn XIV: Liquorbringers

Wenomir is sitting by a table in the Dancing Fox Inn, alone for now. He's waiting for the two elves he's meeting with here. Both of whom are running late. He drums his fingers on the tabletop.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass turns up, with a slightly harried expression on her face, though it clears up right away when she spots Wenomir.

"Heya! Sorry you had to wait. I got... distracted," she says, unconsciously tapping the side of her satchel.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-05-11 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anika slams open the door a few minutes after Cass entered and looks around wildly. As she spots Wenomir she runs up to his and Cass table, nearly colliding into another patron, before letting her hands rest against the table. Looking fairly exhausted with sweat beads running down her forehead.I’msosorry!” After taking a few breaths she adds. “I thought I could make it. There was this magazine, I- then everything looked so different from above...” She looks to Cass and offers a sweaty hand. “I’m Anika by the way, nice to meet you.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass jumps at the noise, and whirls around to notice Anika. Whom, of course, she recognizes. Though she's a little more clothed now than Cass remembers... whoops. Maybe it's best not to think about that.

Cass extends her hand a little shyly, though she shakes Anika's without concern for the sweat. Uh... hi, I'm Cass."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"It's fine, Anika isn't here yet," Wenomir says when Cass excuses herself. And of course it's not long before Anika does arrive. "From above? Did you arrive as a bird?" He then looks between the two elves. "Good to see you both here."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #7

Anika grins and shakes Cass hand eagerly. "You look great." She compliments. "Can't believe Wenomir didn't have a single picture of you." The druid chuckles lightly.
    She then takes a seat and turn her attention to Wenomir. "Well, duh. That's the fastest way to travel!" Anika leans closer to Cass for a moment. "I can turn into a hawk by the way, it's pretty awesome." A beat. "Oh, if I talk too much, just mention it. I often do that when I meet someone new." Another light chuckle before Anika leans back in her chair. "But yeah, feels pretty good to be here. Sounded like we were going to discuss serious stuff though?" She eyes them both.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh. I guess any pictures you had of... before... were lost with the base, huh," Cass muses, glancing at Wenomir.

She rubs her hands in a napkin as Anika sits, eyeing her curiously. "I got here by motorbike. Turning into a hawk *does* sound pretty awesome," she admits.

"I think I need wine before we talk about anything serious, though," she says with a half-smirk, aiming a glance back over towards Wenomir.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-05-12 at 02:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

A frown crosses Wenomir's face briefly.

"Yes... they were. Along with most everything else I owned." Not willing to dwell on it for too long, he adds: "And I'm hopeless at taking pictures with my phone. I tried to take a picture of Koshal and Faye once and it just came out a blur. I was just trying to make sure they were both in the shot..." he pauses before he runs on too long. "Anyway. We do have a lot to talk about in varying degrees of seriousness. Mostly about where we all stand, given my relationship to both of you. And then there's a Vigil mission that Cassandra is also involved in. So starting out with some wine might be a good idea all in all."

10. - Top - End - #10

Anika raises an eyebrow. Wenomir had painting imps living inside his phone? She had no imps got that tiny. It probably was so cramped in there that they couldn't paint properly, which was why the pictures got so blurry.
    The druid raises both her hands in the air. "Yeah! Wine first!" She proclaims. "I don't know that much about wine so I'll just have whatever you're having." She grins. "Though honestly, whatever you decide on is fine with me." Anika gestures at herself. "Not that I wouldn't care if I lost my relationship with Wenomir, but it just seems like you two got a pretty strong thing going you know? There's like little flares in your eyes going off whenever you look at one another. It's super-cute!"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-12 at 04:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass orders a bottle of high elven rosé for the table, and averts her gaze when Anika makes her comment about the way Wenomir and her look at each other, color rising in her cheeks.

"Uh... I- I don't know if it's exactly like that," she says, flustered. "I think there's still a lot... just a lot."

She glances at Wenomir, and then back at Anika, trying to gauge the atmosphere between the two of them, feeling a little uneasy. She hadn't expected the two of them to get so direct, so quickly. Though that might be mostly Anika being the direct one, there. Is she always like this? She rubs the back of her neck awkwardly, trying to think over what she wants to say next.

"I guess... I have other people I care about, too."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-05-12 at 09:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn 97: Roman Numerals Are Stupid

Does he really look at Cassandra in such a way? It's true that she evokes something in him that not even Kr did back in the day. Maybe he's just different than he was.

"'There's a lot' about covers it," he says in a distant voice. "Cassandra and I have a history, but we're not the people we used to be and we can't just pick up where we left off." It's a difficult admission on his part. For a long time, he hoped they could. But even before Cass appeared, it was clear they couldn't. "And like I said, we don't want to rush into things."

13. - Top - End - #13

Anika looks between the two. Serious indeed. Cass was blushing and Wenomir sounded even more subdued than usual. Had she accidentally made things awkward again?

Well, the only way was forward now. "Tell me about it, there's just so many people I care about that I can barely keep track of them all. But having so many people close to you usually means good things I’d say. Especially if one of those people happen to be Wenomir. He’s a great guy! Reflects well on your taste in friends.” Anika puts her hands behind her head. ”But anyway, whatever you work out is fine with me. I’ll be your friend regardless.” She gestures are Cass. “Well, hopefully I’ll be your friend too soon once we get to know each other.”
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-13 at 05:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh..."

Cass blanks out for a second, picking over at what Anika said in her head. She said she had lots of friends, which is innocuous enough. But then Wenomir is apparently also a friend? Does she mean friends, or does she mean... friends? And when she said she'd like to be Cass' friend, does that mean friend friend, or friend friend? [Windows XP error noises]

Cass, don't kid yourself. You'd climb her like a tree.
    Shut up!

"Mhm."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir likewise considers this for a moment. It's a strange situation he finds himself in. But not a bad one, perhaps. He tends to overthink things when not fighting, but maybe this time it really can be that simple? At least for now?

"Having... two partners really isn't something I'm used to or have thought about. But maybe it's worth trying. My life has had so many twists and turns, what's one more? And I do hope we can all be friends regardless of what happens. Let's drink to that and you can get to know each other, with me helping."

16. - Top - End - #16

Anika appears puzzled at Cass response. It takes her a moment to realize she had overdone it, again. She had said something to make Cass super-awkward, geez!
    Great going, Anika. You've really messed things up now!
    Wenomir didn't seem to act like something was amiss though. Was he just being polite or was Cass always like this? She couldn't tell. But it was clear that things had to be handled more carefully from now on.
    "Uh, two partners? Like close ones?" Anika's eyebrow raises. "I've never actually been in that sort of relationship before." A beat. "I think. What do you mean by that exactly?" The druid seems more curious than anything else.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Dammit! Phrasing, Wenomir. This isn't helping Cass at all! She takes a deep swallow of her wine, trying to hide her embarrassment behind the goblet as she once again remembers the dream that she inadvertently witnessed. And also her own experience with Fayyaad and Electra... Abort! Abort!

She tries to refocus on Wenomir, curious as to how to answer Anika's question.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-05-16 at 02:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"I just... meant being involved this way with more than one person," Wenomir says, sounding unexpectedly awkward. "But maybe this shouldn't be new for me. When I had a fling with Harnetta, we both understood it wasn't going to be monogamous, even before she left the Nexus again."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-05-18 at 01:08 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Anika suddenly leans forward with interest. "Ohh! Whose Harnetta?! I didn't know you had another fling, Wenomir." Anika blurts out without thinking. Whoops.
    She leans back again, giving the two an awkward smile and chuckles lightly as if a joke just been told. "...uh, if you want to tell us of course. I'd be okay if you want to keep it to yourself." She might be a tad disappointed though.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass gives the two of them a slight, coy smile.

"Yes, it's a change," she says, twisting the wine glass around in her fingers. "I don't mind."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"No, it's fine. Besides, Cass knew her... before," Wenomir says. Always a tricky subject. And for more than one reason this time. "She's an old friend of mine, but I didn't always know her as a she. She once called herself Harnel. Then she left the Nexus and came back with a new name and body. We had a chat when I was... in a bad place. She helped me stop moping and loosen up a little. She's a half-dragon who's taller than I am but shorter than Anika... but she could lift me overhead with one hand and not break a sweat." He smiles fondly.

22. - Top - End - #22

Wenomir's answer only made more questions pop up in Anika's mind.

Like, what did her new and old bodies look like?
    Was she always a half-dragon?
    And perhaps more importantly, how could someone be half a dragon?
    She tended to describe dryads and keepers as "half-deer" so was that what Wenomir meant? Since the term reminded her of the dragonspawn so that was what she was picturing now.

"Wow, she sounds like a pretty sweet lady. I never even heard about anyone changing themselves like that before so I'm all kinds of curious now. I mean, where I'm from there are a lot of 'half-people' and most of them are pretty hot so it's not like the thought haven't occurred to me." The druid giggles childishly. "So uh, what's it like, y'know, being with one of them?" Anika raises her eyebrows as she gives Wenomir a curious look.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass takes another drink of her wine and stares at the table awkwardly, a little uncomfortable at being reminded of Wenomir's "bad place". It'd been her fault, after all...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir thinks it over for a moment. He really didn't expect to be talking about this in this fashion, but... ah, hell, why not. He's had sex with both of those women, there's really no reason to be coy about things.

"The scales were a curious sensation, for sure. As was being with someone so strong. And one of the few warriors in the Nexus capable of matching me. That was when I learned I appreciate being able to go all out, if you know what I mean." He stirs his own glass. "Imagine a tall woman with a tail, wings, horns and red scales all over. Not that much muscle, though. Her strength came from her dragon heritage, or so she told me once."

25. - Top - End - #25

Anika hadn't meant for meant to get into this much detail either but she certainly wouldn't complain!

She leans closer, her eyes widens. Then she bursts out in a loud laugh. "Oh man!" Another laugh. "S-sorry! I was just laughing at me. Not anything you said, Wen." She quickly tries to assure him. "When you said half-dragon I thought you meant..." She makes a circular notion with her hand. "Y'know, like a catperso- er, like someone with four feet and a normal body on top. So, like, lower part dragon, upper part kaldo'rei, or human, whatever." The druid chuckles. "So I imagined someone completely different." Then she nods. "Harnetta sounds like quite the gal though. Too bad I won't get to meet her." A beat. "And I don't suppose you have a picture of her either, huh?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-20 at 04:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass' eyes widen in shock as she realizes the direction this conversation is going in, and has to make an effort not to choke on her wine as Wenomir describes the experience of having sex with Harnetta. As it is, she focuses on draining her glass to hide the expression on her face, then turns away to signal a server for a second bottle. Only when she feels like she can control her expression does she turn back, keeping her eyes locked on the original bottle as she empties the rest of it into her glass.

"I still can't believe you slept with Mithar's spouse, Commander," says Cass, feeling a sudden burst of puckishness. "She's not the source of any of your new scars, is she?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir seems to belatedly realize that he shared just a little bit too much information. He'd never do it normally, but Anika seems to have a way of removing his usual restraint. Then Cass' comment knocks him right back into a more usual attitude.

"I didn't... they had been divorced for a long time by then," he says weakly. "I don't have any pictures either, I'm afraid."

28. - Top - End - #28

Anika looks to Cass, her glowing amber eyes widened with shock. "Ce-command had a husband?!" She exclaims.
    Then her thoughts catches up with her as she recalls Cessie's kids. Right, people generally needed to marry for those, didn't they? That would also explain why they had scales everywhere. She had just assumed they were adopted or something.

Then her attention turns back to Wenomir. "And you slept with him- er, her? Wow, nice." Anika chuckles and grins at Wenomir, enjoying to get under his skin a bit like this. Cass seemed to enjoy ittoo, so maybe this could be one of those things they could bond over?

Then a thought occurs to her. One she simply had to investigate. "Don't tell me you sleep with the succubus lady too? I mean, I could tell you had a past." While she's still smiling her tone is more serious. Sleeping with succubi was no laughing matter!
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-05-22 at 09:06 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"...succubus lady?"

Cass looks between Wenomir and Anika curiously, seeming a little confused. "What succubus lady?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

A flash of panic goes through Wenomir's features as he scrambles to answer this question. Or, well, more than one question.

"No, I- I haven't slept with Jezebel." By the dead gods, the very thought is horribly awkward. He looks to Cass. "She means Jezebel Tel'Vree, the ex-mayor of Eastside, if you've heard of her. Anyway, we do have a past, we were just enemies for most of it. We've buried the hatchet, obviously. Except for that giant chainsaw she calls a sword. We'll never see eye to eye on that." After this attempt at humor, she says: "But yes, Cessie was married. But she and Harnetta didn't part on good terms and she doesn't like to be reminded of it."