New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dancing Fox Inn 97: Roman Numerals Are Stupid

Cass shrugs. "Panic can be an effective drug. With a couple of extra enchantments and suggestions, you can make someone pretty incapable of thinking rationally about anything. I do admit that I never tried it before."

"I have some magic that I can use to alter my form a little bit. Change my face, some details about my body. Nothing that could turn me into an animal, though. I... think I could see a way to get to that kind of magic, though," Cass muses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Oh, that's something I can't do. I don't know any cosmetic spells. However, I do use some cosmetic goblin magic to keep my hair-do like this." Anika remarks as she gestures at her hair. "I went to a goblin hairdresser and boy did she do some great work. Best money I ever spent." The druid nods to Cass. "So if you can do anything like that I'd be impressed."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-08-11 at 01:54 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

"I wish I'd spoken to more sorcerers back home," Wenomir says. "There were a few hanging around the court where I worked. My people don't like magic much, but sorcerers are useful enough to be accepted. They were neither as casual nor as strong as the magic-users here, though. Felt like they were prodding at things they poorly understood. Back at the village there was a herbalist who might have known some alchemy and an old man people said was a soothsayer. But they said a lot of things about him."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, hair I can do easy," says Cass, smiling. "I do it all the time."

To demonstrate, she runs a hand slowly through her hair, turning the color from black to white. She does seem to have a little difficulty managing the concentration to cast the spell, though, considering how tipsy she is. Don't drink and transmute, kids.

"The more advanced magic I know is basically like... making magic disguise for myself. I can wear it over my own body and look like whatever I want. I can change my face, my body proportions, look like an entirely different person, even a man, if I wanted to. I can't change my height or turn myself into anything other than a person, though. And it doesn't change anything except for appearance. I could make myself look like I had bigger muscles, but it wouldn't make me any stronger. And it takes a long time to make each individual disguise, too. Not like a simple illusion. But when I put them on I can wear it for as long as I want, and it's physical, too. You can touch it and it'll feel like my real body. Not like an illusion."
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-08-19 at 12:45 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Anika nonetheless gives Cass's transmutation an quick applause though. "Wow, that's so cool. I had no idea you could do so many radical things, Cass. Care to show more of it? I can show you some of my magic in return." Though a restaurant might not be the best place for such a showcase, right?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir seems deep in thought for a moment.

"Could you make such a disguise for someone else?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Cass smiles sheepishly at Anika.

"I'm glad you think so. I think if you want to see more it'll have to be later, though. The wine was... uh... very good." She blushes, swirling her glass around a little. Well, at least she can be safe and self-aware about some things.

"Y-yeah, I could do that."

8. - Top - End - #98

Anika raises an eyebrow as she starts to put two and two together.
    She couldn't do magic while drunk?!

Was that a good or a bad thing?

"Huh, I can still do magic while I've had a lot of good wine." She remarks thoughtfully, then quickly adding.
    "Uh, not that there's anything wrong with being unable to. Might be good in fact, I do a lot of stupid **** while drunk." She chuckles.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, I think it's a matter of 'shouldn't' rather than 'can't." Looks like Cass is careful enough not to drink and cast, at least. "As for the disguises, Vigil could use those. For a fair price, of course. We have an illusionist, but you said it yourself that illusions aren't as reliable. If I were to ever go undercover, I'd need to be less recognizable and maybe not as ruggedly good-looking."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, it's 'can't'," says Cass, crossing her arms and 'hmph'-ing at Wenomir. "My magic takes a lot of mental focus you know. Can't do it while drunk, drugged, or distracted."

She pokes Wenomir in the chest.

"Maybe I'll make your disguise extra hideous."

11. - Top - End - #101

"Yeah!" Anika agrees as if she knew anything about Cass magic.
    She thought she did at least from all her mage-friends. "It's very precise magic, Wen. Can't just half-ass it like with mine." The druid nods sagely but quickly switches it up when Wenomir is poked.

"Ohh, give him huge ears like me, and a big nose!" She declares while raising her hand.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Oof. That's what happens when you try to be smart on the subject of magic, you big oaf.

"Oh. Well. I stand corrected. But maybe it's for the best if my disguise is hideous. No one will even guess it's me," he says, rolling with the joke.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"He's a little tall for a goblin, don't you think?" Cass says, grinning at Anika. "But maybe it would be too heinous a crime to ruin that pretty face..."

14. - Top - End - #104

Anika giggles and smiles back at Cass before she turns to look at Wenomir again.
    An idea then occurred to her. "...Oh! Could you give him a tail? Imagine if he could add another limb to his fighting style, that'd be so awesome. Like, swinging around the answer with it wish-woosh and then use it to throw his opponent off balance..."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"I do like men with tails," says Cass, smirking. "And women with tails... uh... ehem."

She blushes slightly, looking down. "I don't think that's something I've figured out how to do with my magic yet, though. I could make a tail or any other extra appendage, but it wouldn't be one that could move around or anything. It'd just hang there."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Normally, Wenomir might be surprised by Cassandra's admission. But after seeing her and Electra interact, there's really no need. Besides, seeing Cessie and Jezebel in the barracks his capacity for surprise about this is limited.

"I don't know what I'd even do with a tail," he just says. "It sounds like it's a whole extra limb I'd need to keep track of. I know people who have those, like Kal, Spako and Jezebel, but they were born with... well, I don't think Jezebel was, actually. Either way, I'm glad my other features make up for the lack of one."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-11 at 01:35 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

"Aw, that sucks. Don't worry too much about it though." Anika will gently pat Cass's back. "I mean, most people don't even use their tails for anything but decoration anyway. I still want to see someone use it like a third limb, being able to have a duel with it. That'd be so cool."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

[

"Most people," says Cass, giving Anika an amused smile. "I know one or two people who could show you a thing or two about using their ta- ...uh... actually, nevermind."

Cass isn't that drunk. Yet. She still blushes at the thought though. Quick, find a new topic! "I'm still surprised Kal is a member of Vigil now. He really doesn't seem the type."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

"I used to think so too. I mean, we first met him when he was in the Watchtower jail," Wenomir muses. "But he came to me and offered to join Vigil earnestly, then served with us reliably since then. Maybe he needed to pursue a different direction in life. I didn't feel like I could turn him away at that time." He looks over at Cass. "I didn't think you knew him very well, though."

20. - Top - End - #110

Whatever topic Cass was going into, Anika doesn't seem to have caught it. "Well, Blanche ain't one of those tail-masters at least and I've never actually met Kal. Though I've heard his name mentioned. Isn't he like a... half-demon or something?" That sure is a nail in the coffin to her!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think one of his ancestors is a devil? There's a difference... or maybe it was a demon. Succubi can be both, I think. I don't know, but it's distant ancestry. Way less than half." Though Cass is pretty sure there's something else going on with Kal's body than just ancestry. Probably several somethings else. Not that she uh... spends a whole lot of time thinking about Kal's body.

Cass blushes at Wenomir's comment, in a way that no doubt answers any questions or confirms any suspicions that he might have had.

"Well, I don't know him that well... we've just... run into each other a few times." He's just a memorable person, that's all. Very memorable.

"I told you I like men with tails, didn't I?"
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-09-21 at 01:12 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Wenomir blinks. Does Cass know Kal that way? Let's leave this topic alone for now.

"Yes, I think tieflings just have distant devil ancestors. I'm not sure about the specifics. Or about the exact difference between demons and devils. And regardless, I'm not the one to judge people for circumstances of their birth. I've been on the receiving end of that."

23. - Top - End - #113

Anika scratches her head. "Yeah, I don't even know what a devil is. In fact, I didn't even know you could be half a demon until I came to the nexus." She shrugs. "But I guess most things are possible here. Anyway, if you've, uh, encountered Kal, have you seen Rain yet, Cass? I met her... wow, like a year or two ago now and introduced her to VIGIL and the battered shield. She might not have a tail but she more than makes up for it with her voice. She even made a song for me!"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-09-21 at 04:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

"I've never been inside The Battered Shield, says Cass. "Just the training grounds and the commander's house. And a few of the other places they let outsiders like me wander around freely."

Cass smirks a little, shooting Wenomir a wry glance.

"So she's a singer? A musician?" She asks, clearly interested.
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2020-09-21 at 04:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't think it'd be any trouble for you to visit the Battered Shield," Wenomir says cheerfully. "It's not as if it's a restricted area. Maybe with a member, to be sure. And Rain is both, yes. She plays... uh... the lute. And some other instruments, I can't remember their names. She's been very good for morale."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-21 at 05:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116

"They're called harp and a hurdy gurdy, Wenomir." Geez, hadn't he learned this already!?
    "And yeah, people just showers her in tips and she's earned single piece of it. She's one of the best bards around." Anika remarks confidently with a nod. "We could really use more of her in VIGIL. Imagine if we'd get a whole VIGIL band? That'd be so awesome." She turns to Cass. "You got some music talent, Cass? Or maybe you know someone?"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

"Uh... you could say that I have some talent. I know a few other musical people as well," says Cass. "I guess it would be fun to meet another musician."

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Musical instruments are hardly my speciality." Wenomir is surprisingly defensive on this score. "And my singing voice has been compared to an old crow dying of thirst. I didn't know you had any musical experience, though, Cassandra."

29. - Top - End - #119

"Really? Maybe you could do a duet or something, that'd be so awesome. Rain does seem pretty open with working with others. But her standards are pretty high too I think." When it came to dedication to the craft at least. "But yeah, you should totally talk to her. I can introduce you two."

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

"Um... I'll explain it to you later," says Cass to Wenomir. "Sure. I'd like that."