New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Dragon Campaign - Wyrmlinghood

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Zaratii stumbles a bit when the red shoulders her, but keeps her footing, albeit with an expression of annoyance. Then the black speaks and earns her attention.

"They claimed to have been hired to bring us from the north of this island to the south," she informs, "As for whether the intended recipients are informed... they seem under the impression that the 'Tabaxi' knew full well what was to be delivered. If the delivery fails to show at all, I expect they will assume either that it was waylaid, or that these ones made off with the goods or screwed up."

"Which island?"
    she asks the two-legs, briefly switching to speak in Tongues and then relaying whatever response is given.
    "Taishim," one of the orcs says simply.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those who have the skills, give me a Knowledge: Geography check, and a Knowledge: Local check
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see, so it is these Tabaxi who have the gold. Maybe it's worth paying them a visit then?" Khrakoa says. Taishim means little to him, so he's more content to investigate the food crate. Looks like these Orcs were good for something after all.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Taishim? Taishim... Taishim!

"So, we're on Taishim," she muses to the others, "A small island south of the mainland, the Easterlands. The Tabaxi are a lesser race, the primary denizens here. Cat people, humanoids with fur and claws, sharp minds and an affinity for stealth. I'm sure they have plenty of gold, just as I'm sure they can deal with a few feisty wyrmlings. We're probably not within a day's flight of the mainland, at least not with our youth. We're too young to fly for long. Not to mention none of us have yet stretched their wings and flown at all."

She paces as she considers, then resumes addressing the clutch.

"Which means we're forced together by circumstance, more or less. I suppose at the very least we should introduce ourselves to each other. I am Zaratii."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, that figures. How large of a place is this island though?" Khrakoa states in response to the information about their location.

"You may call me Khrakoa. It's a name many will know in due time."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"You three should know me as Kirvirlym"*, the small gold dragon responded, stretching and walking to the mysterious egg. She observed it, curious at what it was, and how she would go about eating it. Perhaps if it was something magical, she would know what it was, but otherwise, she would have to ponder upon it...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) roll on the egg, if applicable: (1d20+12)[14]

*Pronounced "Keer-veer-leam". It might not come up IC, but FYI
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sotet."

The Black seemed to lack the bluster and self-assumes greatness the others expressed. She watched the larger orcs closely. These would be the ones to attempt to subdue the hatchlings. She assumed.

Her attention diverted for a moment upon seeing other eggs by the crate of food. Even more of their kind, not yet hatched?

Show

Sense Motive vs large orcs (1d20+5)[9]
    Knowledge (Arcana) vs eggs (1d20+10)[15]

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

"It appears that they have even more of your blood, Kirvirlym and Khrakoa."

Sotet made a slight motion of her head toward the unhatched eggs. She was not comfortable with other dragons being used for whatever the Tabaxi had intended. Nor did she relish in saving them. It would be more mouths to feed and more competition later in life.

"If we do not intend on doing anything about ours, or their, theft, I think I'll go outside and see what there is to see."

The sound of rain sounded welcoming. Hopefully, there was a source of water close by that she might make a makeshift nest.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

"I hold no allegiance to them." Khrakoa says as he roots through the crate for bites of dried meat, ignoring most of the other preserved foods. "Let the Tabaxi have them. Maybe they don't even notice that some eggs are missing. As for us, well, I have kobolds to find and a lair to claim. Zaratii, do you know if kobolds dwell here? And what's the highest place on this island?"

He pauses for a minute. The red's tail flicks about as he thinks. "Are there any other dragons established here?"

9. - Top - End - #39

"That's all I know of this place," Zaratii answers in the negative, "Taishim is an island, not a major enough location for us to have learned much about in the egg. If we want more information, we'll have to find it the normal way - by seeking out and talking to the lesser races. Although, I may advise being cautious with the Tabaxi: I don't know why they wanted our eggs, but I don't trust those that likely caused us to be stolen from our respective nests."

She watches the others eat before helping herself to some of the rations.

"We're young and thus weak. Whatever our individual goals, first we have to ensure that we can survive our infant years. To accomplish that, we can hide while we grow, seek allies of the lesser races, find a patron, or band together and protect each other." The way she says "allies", she doesn't seem to mean as equals. "That last option we may wish to combine with another, as even together we are relatively weak. Hmm. This would all be made easier if we had a better idea of the politics of this place. Which means finding locals to question - not these sea-farers. Speaking of them, Khrakoa, please consider keeping an eye on the larger ones at the cave's mouth. They may be benign now, but that is subject to change. Hm. Before anything else, a decision about what to do hear and now should be made. I'm hearing a preference towards heading out, so if there are no objections, let us venture into the storm."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

"And I'd take the companionship of a gold over an orc any day." Khakis says. "So let us be off then. There must be a half decent lair around here, even if I must share for the time being..."
    Last edited by Eonn; 2020-05-24 at 02:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kirvirlym

Listening to the others, Kir nodded in agreement. She spoke "I see. Though I would try to help my unhatched kin, I am too weak to do so currently. I should return later, when I am more... capable. Though as you say, we should move to a more suitable place first.". In the meantime, Kir worked to try and stretch her wings and dry herself from the mysterious egg-juices that had covered her previously.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2020-05-27 at 12:42 AM.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

The black wyrmling moved toward the mouth of the cave, pausing just briefly to snatch up some food for herself. She moved toward the side of the entrance, keeping clear of the humanoids that had gathered.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    The black wyrmling moved toward the mouth of the cave, pausing just briefly to snatch up some food for herself. She moved toward the side of the entrance, keeping clear of the humanoids that had gathered.
    As the group moves toward the exit, the Grey Orcs move, giving you a wide berth. Whatever the one orc had said to them, it seemed to be enough that they didn't want to bother fighting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    450 XP to everyone. While dragons do not level up using XP, they can use it for other things still - crafting items, as payment for certain spells, etc. Note that I do not do skill/feat/class retraining.

Outside, it appears that you are in a mountain cave just above the treeline of a massive jungle, though the heavy rain prevents you from judging anything more than several hundred feet in the distance. Other than the downpour, it's hard to make out much sound, either. Walking along the mountain path a bit, it appears to be part of a small range, which Zaratii deduces extends off to the east and west. The mountain itself is rather expansive though, and the jungle almost certainly would make for good hunting. For a few of you, this would make for a fitting first lair. With all the rainfall, no doubt Sotet would be able to find a place in the jungle of stagnant water to make their own.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite the rain, Khrakoa was happy to be taking his first steps out of that dingy hole. He steps forward, and with all his meager hatchling strength, leaps for the sky while beating his wings.

Show
    Is there any kind of check for this, since this is our first flight and all?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kirvirlym

Kir was indeed pleased at the sight of the rain - it gave her a more thorough washing of the icky-egg-water and moistened her scales, making flight an easier proposition. Seeing Khrakoa take to the skies, Kir followed in tow, or at least, she attempted as much, calling to the others "Let's be cautious and not go too far before we wait for the sky to clear up - long travel now would be too much, I think"

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit, on Discord
    Let’s make it a DEX check (to be coordinated) and a STR check (to actually have the ability to keep control in the storm)
    DEX: (1d20+2)[15]
    STR: (1d20)[13]
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

You get a running start, and after one, two, three flaps, you get enough wind under your wings to pull your legs in. You bank right, and suddenly you're out over the forest, fighting the wind. You can see that your little group is around... maybe three hundred, four hundred feet above the tree line. The further from the mountain you get though, the harder it is to see, and you're fighting the wind as well. Maybe if you were bigger, but it's dangerous to fly in this weather while so small.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Sotet watched the Gold take off and fight the weather. She had no desire to even try such a maneuver. Instead, she turned toward the others and made her intentions clear.

"I am going into the jungle. My taste in den conditions is vastly different than either of yours. Meet back here on the morning after weather breaks?"
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2020-05-29 at 10:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Khakis wants to stay in the air, but the storm may be more than the young dragon can handle. For as long as he is able, the small dragon stays in the air, searching the mountain side for a place that might make for a good lair. While he'd like to find a tribe of kobolds who have no dragon, he is under no delusion that he can just stumble into them on his first day out of the egg.

Show
    Spot: (1d20+4)[7]
    Search: (1d20+12)[25]

After making the best of his vantage point, Khrakoa circles back to the ground.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    Khakis wants to stay in the air, but the storm may be more than the young dragon can handle. For as long as he is able, the small dragon stays in the air, searching the mountain side for a place that might make for a good lair. While he'd like to find a tribe of kobolds who have no dragon, he is under no delusion that he can just stumble into them on his first day out of the egg.

Show
    Spot: [roll0]
    Search: [roll1]

After making the best of his vantage point, Khrakoa circles back to the ground.
    You don’t find a cave, the rain and wind forcing you back to the ground, but you’ve managed to scope out a few places that look promising, the right mix of secluded from others and accessible for you.

Sotet watched the Gold take off and fight the weather. She had no desire to even try such a maneuver. Instead, she turned toward the others and made her intentions clear.

"I am going into the jungle. My taste in den conditions is vastly different than either of yours. Meet back here on the morning after weather breaks?"
    After you confirm your plan with the others, you head down into the forest, mostly following the river. You soon find a small oxbow lake. You’d almost have missed it - mangrove-like trees fill the edges, and only the very center of the lake is actually empty. All these roots to hide in at your size would be perfect to start a basic lair, and the fresh body of water will ensure a steady supply of prey.

Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Khrakoa shakes the water off his wings and folds them by his side. He considers what he saw from the air as Sotet departs. A lair isn't built in a day, he figures, despite wanting very much simply to stumble upon an empty lair filled with gold and kobolds to worship him.

He turns and begins a hike up the rock slopes. Maybe it's good that there was no cave waiting for him to claim. It made the best spot, the highest peak of the mountain, the uncontested winner for a place to lair. From there, he'd be able to survey much of the domain. Even better, if the Tabaxi wanted to get at him, they'd be in for an uphill battle. Khrakoa silently smirks at his clever joke.

"Then I will seek a lair for myself as well." The red wyrmling says as he leaves the others. "Don't follow me, Gold. And best of luck finding a suitable lair for yourself, Blue."

21. - Top - End - #51

Zaratii lets the rain wash over her, cleansing her. The moisture does not overly bother her, although she is not keen on trying to sleep in it. She stretches as the others begin to disperse, and decides.

"I will keep vigil," she declares, "I will stay around here and observe. If there is trouble, rattle your lungs and give a call. I will hear."

There is no lair for her here, only alcoves to shelter her from the worst of the storm. Perhaps later she could find a somewhat suitable cove. For now, she waits. Once all the other dragons have gone whichever ways, and along with them any chance of her looking foolish, she crawls atop a large rock and stretches her wings. Letting the wind flow about her, she tests, experiments. Then she leaps and glides. She does so a few more times, gauging how the wind pulls and pushes, before beating her wings and trying to fly. However many tries it takes her, does not matter. She learns from each one. As she does, she listens.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonn View Post
    Khrakoa shakes the water off his wings and folds them by his side. He considers what he saw from the air as Sotet departs. A lair isn't built in a day, he figures, despite wanting very much simply to stumble upon an empty lair filled with gold and kobolds to worship him.

He turns and begins a hike up the rock slopes. Maybe it's good that there was no cave waiting for him to claim. It made the best spot, the highest peak of the mountain, the uncontested winner for a place to lair. From there, he'd be able to survey much of the domain. Even better, if the Tabaxi wanted to get at him, they'd be in for an uphill battle. Khrakoa silently smirks at his clever joke.

"Then I will seek a lair for myself as well." The red wyrmling says as he leaves the others. "Don't follow me, Gold. And best of luck finding a suitable lair for yourself, Blue."
    Your climb is not particularly challenging, and this high up, most large wildlife is below you. You manage to find a few alcoves that, while not leading to any cave systems, at least will shelter you from the storm.
    (Unless there is anything else you wish to do, you'll be on hold until the others bed down for the night)

Zaratii lets the rain wash over her, cleansing her. The moisture does not overly bother her, although she is not keen on trying to sleep in it. She stretches as the others begin to disperse, and decides.

"I will keep vigil," she declares, "I will stay around here and observe. If there is trouble, rattle your lungs and give a call. I will hear."

There is no lair for her here, only alcoves to shelter her from the worst of the storm. Perhaps later she could find a somewhat suitable cove. For now, she waits. Once all the other dragons have gone whichever ways, and along with them any chance of her looking foolish, she crawls atop a large rock and stretches her wings. Letting the wind flow about her, she tests, experiments. Then she leaps and glides. She does so a few more times, gauging how the wind pulls and pushes, before beating her wings and trying to fly. However many tries it takes her, does not matter. She learns from each one. As she does, she listens.
    You keep an ear out, and in spite of the heavy rain and wind, you still manage to listen to the goings on around the mountain. You hear the grey humanoids in the cave, talking to each other about how strange it was that the uncut gems they were delivering turned out to be dragons. You fly along the side of the mountain for a while, but finding it void of anything particularly interesting, glide down to the river, and after several minutes, hear an unnatural, sharp, thwacking sound, each accompanied by grunts, maybe forty feet from the water's edge.

Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    You keep an ear out, and in spite of the heavy rain and wind, you still manage to listen to the goings on around the mountain. You hear the grey humanoids in the cave, talking to each other about how strange it was that the uncut gems they were delivering turned out to be dragons. You fly along the side of the mountain for a while, but finding it void of anything particularly interesting, glide down to the river, and after several minutes, hear an unnatural, sharp, thwacking sound, each accompanied by grunts, maybe forty feet from the water's edge.
    Well now, what have we yonder? Zaratii ponders, If that sound were natural, 'twould be a wonder. Shall I wake another to investigate? Perhaps not, least not yet.

Accounting for the wind, she flies over above the source of the sound, staying high enough to use the weather to conceal her presence. She may have to go lower to get a clear view, but not yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+10)[16] (yay for being tiny)
    Move Silently: (1d20+2)[14] (flying overhead in the rain should probably be pretty hard to hear)
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Well now, what have we yonder? Zaratii ponders, If that sound were natural, 'twould be a wonder. Shall I wake another to investigate? Perhaps not, least not yet.

Accounting for the wind, she flies over above the source of the sound, staying high enough to use the weather to conceal her presence. She may have to go lower to get a clear view, but not yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide: [roll0] (yay for being tiny)
    Move Silently: [roll1] (flying overhead in the rain should probably be pretty hard to hear)
    Though the canopy is thick, you manage to see flecks of ground. In one of these flecks, as you circle the noise, you spot a tall humanoid, fur matter to its face and body. They appear to be hacking some tool against a tree. You recognize this humanoid to be a Tabaxi - a type of humanoid that almost exclusively live on a small, southern island that they call Taishim. It is right as you circle this spot that the Tabaxi looks up through the canopy while wiping its brow, and you swear the two of you make eye contact for a second before your flight path continues.

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Sotet approached the water cautiously. There were bound to be some manner of predator in such a place, natural or otherwise. She used the mangrove roots as cover, maneuvering into the shallows once she had assessed it's safety.

Once she was completely submerged and within the thickest roots, she sunk down to the bottom and dug away an indent to lay in. Further exploration could be done once the weather had cleared and she could take to the air against threats.

Show

Hide / Move Silent: (1d20+15)[34] (1d20+7)[23]
    Spot / Listen: (1d20+1)[16] (1d20+1)[11]
    Knowledge (Nature): (1d20+10)[14]

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    Though the canopy is thick, you manage to see flecks of ground. In one of these flecks, as you circle the noise, you spot a tall humanoid, fur matter to its face and body. They appear to be hacking some tool against a tree. You recognize this humanoid to be a Tabaxi - a type of humanoid that almost exclusively live on a small, southern island that they call Taishim. It is right as you circle this spot that the Tabaxi looks up through the canopy while wiping its brow, and you swear the two of you make eye contact for a second before your flight path continues.
    Zaratii scowls internally, seeing the Tabaxi look up at just the right time. She hopes water landed in their eye. So much for being unseen. Tucking her wings, she dives into the canopy nearby, disappearing into the foliage. This would be a local, and would hopefully have more information than the greyskins. Gliding from branch to branch, she positions herself in the tops of the tree the two-legs was hacking at, peering down at them.

Elevate self, look down on them. Appear unconcerned, barely interested. Use distance to make size harder to judge. Allow the water dripping, flowing from the leaves to make it harder to look directly at me. I am superior, and this way they'll know it. Don't bother to address the lesser being, wait for them to start and then seize control of the interaction.

Gazing silently from above, she waits.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Sotet approached the water cautiously. There were bound to be some manner of predator in such a place, natural or otherwise. She used the mangrove roots as cover, maneuvering into the shallows once she had assessed it's safety.

Once she was completely submerged and within the thickest roots, she sunk down to the bottom and dug away an indent to lay in. Further exploration could be done once the weather had cleared and she could take to the air against threats.

Show

Hide / Move Silent: [roll0] [roll1]
    Spot / Listen: [roll2] [roll3]
    Knowledge (Nature): [roll4]
    You don't notice any wildlife... wait, a deer appears to be drinking from the water. If the water has any inhabitants besides fish, you don't notice them.

...until you step into the shallows and swim around. It happens faster than you think: One moment, you're swimming in the water, the next, a large, brown set of jaws are leaping out of the water and snapping at you, dragging you into the water. You take 11 Piercing damage and are grappled.
    Spoiler
    Show
    16 - Sotet
    13 - Crocodile

Zaratii scowls internally, seeing the Tabaxi look up at just the right time. She hopes water landed in their eye. So much for being unseen. Tucking her wings, she dives into the canopy nearby, disappearing into the foliage. This would be a local, and would hopefully have more information than the greyskins. Gliding from branch to branch, she positions herself in the tops of the tree the two-legs was hacking at, peering down at them.

Elevate self, look down on them. Appear unconcerned, barely interested. Use distance to make size harder to judge. Allow the water dripping, flowing from the leaves to make it harder to look directly at me. I am superior, and this way they'll know it. Don't bother to address the lesser being, wait for them to start and then seize control of the interaction.

Gazing silently from above, she waits.
    As you gently land, you see the Tabaxi has pulled a bow and has it trained in your direction. It seems to be watching you almost as keenly as you are watching it. Like you, it remains silent.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2020-06-02 at 08:54 PM.

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

There was a moment of panic, even terror, in the tiny black dragon. The pain of jaws wrapped around her body confirmed what she had thought. Other things claimed these waters.

Rage welled up despite the pain, her mouth opened. Even beneath the murky waters, the acid sizzled as it left her body. This was no normal acid. It was viscous, clinging and coating the reptile in gooey strands.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Acid Breath (Entangling Exhalation) (2d10)[9] (1/2 for entangle) - ref dc 14 for 1/2
    Entangled (-2 att / -4 dex / half movement) for (1d4)[3] rds - 1d6 acid dmg per rd
    Recharge (1d4)[1] rds -1 for breath weapon attunement

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The crocodile twists itself out of the way of most of the acid, but not all of it, and some clings to the reptile’s scales. It doesn’t seem to mind though, as it shifts its mouth grip on you. You struggle and squirm with all your might, but the crocodile gives you a small toss, slamming its jaws shut over your own, and begins to drag you into the deeper water, already spinning in what your memory is telling you the lesser races have termed ‘the death roll.’ (You are pinned, mouth held shut)

Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Once she had been dragged completely under the water and her only real offensive weapon neutralized, the black hatchling went completely limp in the jaws of the reptile. Her hope was that it would leave her sit on the bottom to ferment as her own kind did, or just swallow her whole.