New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Day the Daevan Stood Still [IC]

Daevan wakes up to feel firelight on his face and the crackling of wood. It's strange. Everytime one of the larger pops of wood, he convinces himself he feels it through the ground.

As he groggily stirs, he feels that his ankles are tied together, and his arms are tied behind him as well. It is a strange sensation. His upper arms are bound to his side at the torso, but his lower arms are bent so that they are parallel on top of each other behind his back in a strange configuration that is connected to the rope at the upper arm and torso. He begins to turn slightly because the pins and needles in his lower arms, especially his hands, is pretty intense. Daevan stops sharply, though as he feels intense pain. He instinctively knew to lift slightly to make sure he doesn't roll over his wrists and hands, but something is different ... it is as if he didn't roll far enough. In fact, he can't seem to roll enough!

The half-elf captive gives a sharp cry of pain as he lands back on his back ... pressing on his arms but no longer rolling over himself painfully. But as Daevan really tries to check in with himself, he no longer is in quite the sense of trauma that he was before when he first woke and he escaped the conflagration.

Even without exacerbating the situation, Daevan is in maddening pain, his bones feel like they're wrenching and his sinews so taut they feel as if they could snap. Your eyes open to note it is night time.

"I see you're awake," says a vaguely familiar voice. You look over to see that same Chelaxian man as before looking at you from partly across the fire. "Do you know who you are? How you came to be there? Do you know what you are?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Day the Daevan Stood Still [IC]

"Da-Daevan, I think. I am...I was...I don't quite remember. I'm not sure anymore. Do you know?"
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

3. - Top - End - #3

Your voice comes out with a rasp.

"Oh," he says with a sad smile, "I have my suspicions, Daevan. Of what, that is ... how's an entirely different matter. Most of his complex was reinforced and decorated with fungi that caught fire easily. I went back in after the smoke cleared. Everything is burnt away ... bodies, notes, everything. Even any useful metal items are slagged."

He sits for a second to study you a little more. "Dae-van ... that's Elven for 'White Forest,' if I'm not mistaken."

He squints his eyes as if trying to divine something from you. "I am guessing you are ... were ... a half-elf? How long have you been like this?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-02-18 at 08:28 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"You are...the same man i encountered back then, correct? I don't know how long. I woke up there, and I must have already become...whatever I am. I may have been one, but my memories are scrambled. I don't remember much."

5. - Top - End - #5

Hesitantly, having observed your movements, he posits, "I'm going to assume you aren't familiar with your form, and thus haven't been that way for long."

Long pause, as you know he intends to add to that ...

"Do you know what you look like?"
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"No, I haven't seen myself. Everything happened so fast once I was free. And before that, I was stuck just like I am now."

7. - Top - End - #7

"Tell you what. Give me an hour so I can study by myself ... without interruption ... and then I'll show you what you look like."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Will you let me down before you do? It's not very comfortable here."

9. - Top - End - #9

"Necessary precaution," he says. "It may put some strain on your back, but you look hardy enough to do a straight-legged sit up. Better do it with straight body up from the hip. That will get your body off your arms to allow circulation. It might get tiring after awhile, but it should help. Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to study ... and then you just might understand why I don't untie you yet."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan sighs and waits quietly. As he waits, he goes through his mind, trying to draw out the knowledge of the spirits he does remember the rituals for. Whatever he is bound to go through, he knows now more than ever he will need their support.

11. - Top - End - #11

The sepulchral inner voice of Al'Kra (aka, The Tall Man; The Operated) comes through, "I know what you're trying to do. Good, good. But learn, first, my sign. I shall guide you."

You resist, perhaps, at which point the inner part of your brain is bombarded by phantasmal lights and sound and smell and even taste and tactile sense ... enough to overwhelm you until you relent to his will. Once you have done this, it is as if you are strangely at peace. You feel as if your mind extends the boundaries of all space and time until nothing exists, not even the chaotic maelstrom of creation. Nothingness. Out there, in the madness of the darkness far beyond the stars, you hear the hideous, alien song being sung by the innocent dead children in the alien language:
    Spoiler: Bizarre Sounds
    Show

hcaQ roS SIvHatSaq qup ‘uphgeH pup ‘uphgeH
    ‘a’hgelaD ‘uphgeH qup ra’
    ‘uDmaq vaj SIvHatSaq vet je’ ‘uDmaq vaj SIvHatSaq ‘In
    Hgehlt ‘IDhge’hcal Hahc hgab gnom dnuora

yrevals jav Hahg vegn Hahc
    pu’ Hap ‘e’tohg
    HIn steerts HoD qup puvIv
    Vuq ej nom Dol llaT

tseuqer hcID'ahc DavHahc je'
    bem gnuhg 'yot Hahg
    Im gniyrf SI vHatSaq 'Iwtuv Hahg jav
    Dol llaT HoH Dol remraf

vaD je' Hahg ts't hgel Hahc
    Daq vow je' jIq 'ehlt je' 'ehlt DuS taj
    a'hgelaD 'uphgeH qup 'uphgeH
    hcaQ roS SIvHatSaq, qup 'uphgeH qup 'uphgeH

"That was how you will need to learn to sing it when you call me, but the secret is simpler than this. See, it's my home language, backwards. I will open your mind so that you will understand this language as well. It is the most ancient and primordial language, spoken on your world by some of the very oldest from the First World who have stayed in your realm, as well as many creatures of what you call the 'Underdark,' and many others still whose forms you do not yet understand. It is Aklo, but in order to keep fools from calling me forth accidentally, it is Aklo ... backwards. Here is the proper translation in Taldane, the common tongue of your home continent of Avistan:
    Spoiler: "Dead Man" Nursery Rhyme
    Show
    Dead children, dead children, swinging in a tree
    How many dead children do you see?
    Tongue turned blue and face gone grey
    Watch them as they twist and sway.

The Tall Man killed the butcher man
    Then cooked him in a frying pan
    Served him to his hungry guests
    And gave them seconds on request.

The Tall Man with his smile and sweets
    Stole poor children off the streets
    To men who dressed unsavory
    He sold them into slavery.

Dead children, dead children, swinging in a tree
    How many dead children do you see?
    Six feet long and six feet wide
    Around their neck their own rope is tied.
    "Now, I shall guide you over this next hour, and you shall memorize this song just as it is. Then, when you get a chance, you will translate it in Aklo with my help. Finally, you shall learn it backwards. I shall give you means nor rest to recall or learn any other until you have learned my ritual and called me at least once. After that, my end of the bargain ... for now, is that I shall help you recall what you knew before, even - against my own desire- the bitch mother and the crippled medic.

"You shall know anguish beyond the madness inflicting you ... your logic, comprehension, reasoning, judgment, all of these are diminished from what you knew. Only with my help and strength are you able to call upon the same force of will you once enjoyed. Then, I shall give you knowledge from beyond the Spheres to learn to call other vestiges as well. I shall also give the ability to call on secrets unknown even to your own learning. You are welcome to research beyond that, for knowledge of using these lesser creatures can only make you stronger, and if you are stronger ... I am stronger."

He is right. Beyond the internal obvious that you are troubled and your mind (and body, don't forget) is in pain, you realize that learning the damn lines to a damn 16-line nursery rhyme in Taldane is annoyingly difficult, even with being guided. He was right. Your mind is diminished, but at the end of the hour you think you finally know the nursery rhyme known as "Dead Children." And it is from this nursery rhyme that the vision that you now remember with crystal clarity some unknown time ago as possibly shown to you by a bug-like little man ... well, it all makes sense.

The hour up, and you just the rhyme down, though with sleep you might need refreshing later. The man stands in front of you, and he casts a spell. The mechanics of the arcane spell, the words, the actions, the use of fleece ... before, you aren't sure that ever you could figure out a spell of this power. And yet, it seems so simple now. Even before he finishes it you recognize it as a superior illusion spell called major image, a spell which normally provides not only sight, but sound, smell, and even variations of heat. Though in this case, he finely controls it so as to portray the only thing really necessary.

You gaze at this illusion to see a mockery of a humanoid form, hideous and terrifying so as to be unsure if it was ever even a half-elf.
    Spoiler: Dunh-dunh-dunh!
    Show
    Roll a Will save against a DC of 20. If you fail, you not only pass out from shock and horror at how you have changed, but you also suffer a hit to your alignment as you become slightly divorced from the virtues of a worthy lfie. Your alignment would go to CG (CN tend.), instead of staying pure CG.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-02-21 at 02:44 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Upon the sight of the monstrous image that represents what he had become, Daevan's body goes limp, his consciousness fading in surprise.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Welcome to the world of horrors, Daevan ....

"Daevan ...

"Daevan ...

"Daevan ... Daevan, wake up."

The sun is up, but it is only about an hour or so past dawn you'd figure. As your eyes adjust from the darkness of sleep, to the shock of orange sunlight, to focusing in on the man trying to rouse you (and wisely not touching you, even though you can tell you are till bound).

"You definitely weren't faking that hideous scream last night. You really had not a clue as to what you look like now. So, when I untie you, you will realize what a monumental bit of trust that is on my part that you won't literally disembowel me with your claws, rip my neck open with your teeth, or shatter my skull with your bone-hardened melon."

He then carefully helps you up to a sitting position ... and you can feel your knuckles dragging on the ground. He then goes down to untie your feet first, then returns to help you to your feet. His body, as you guessed is sturdy. He is not a weakling, nor does he seem particularly powerful, and yet there is a way he lifts you that makes it seem as if it was easier than you'd expect. He hesitates for a minute, perhaps judging whether that is where he should stop and simply lead you - still tied at the upper body and arms - like a dog on a leash. He sighs and mutters, "Well, they don't call me the Unpredictable for nothing."

He unties the byzantine ropework he has on the upper part of your body, and the sudden rush of blood causes more pain as it you have that post-pins-and-needles agony you get once you have circulation back in a limb.

He steps back carefully ... several, several paces. Like, more than 10' away. "So, Mr. Daevan, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Dirk, though some call me Dirk the Unpredictable. Forgive me if we don't shake, but if you steel your mind and take a look, you'll understand. I'd say do it in small doses this time."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-02-22 at 07:09 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I've gotten enough of a look already. That place you found me, what was it? Where was it? What were you doing there, and why did you decide to help me? Or capture me, as the case may have been."

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by meemaas View Post
    "I've gotten enough of a look already. That place you found me, what was it? Where was it? What were you doing there, and why did you decide to help me? Or capture me, as the case may have been."
    "Derro lair, specifically that of a derro magister specializing in alchemy and necromancy. Entrance is 200 yards uphill, south by southeast, around a trail. We're in the Calphiak Mountains of northern Varisia. Fetchling bandits supplied the magister with surface-procured alchemical items and slaves tried to 'procure' myself and my two companions. We tracked them back to the lair, but my travelling companions died in the battle. Seems like you didn't ask for this. Captured you because I wasn't sure about you, but I've freed you."

Questions hopefully answered, he asks "So, do you know what you will do now? Travel alone, looking like that, and every beast hunter far and wide will be looking to score. Others will simply try to 'protect the good folk' from something that seems to have leapt right out of the world of fairy tale monsters. Of course, if you can act nice in society and you have the patronage of someone else ... say, a lonely wizard trying to make his way in a world full of brutes and brigands ... you might be able to move about in civilized climes a little more safely. Well, possibly. And you strike me ... well, talking with you, not necessarily looking at you ... as a relatively lucid guy.""
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-02-26 at 10:52 PM.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"If I get what you're saying, you're offering to join me. Or let me join you. Really both the same thing. I could definitely take you up on that offer, but I'd like to ask a favor from you while we're at it. Unfortunately, all my gear seems to have been taken from me. Would you be willing to help me get the essentials needed to use the magic I do still have access to?" Daevan stands up and smiles at Dirk.

17. - Top - End - #17

"Yeeeeaaahhhh ... about that," he says slowly, looking down and to the right. "Sooo, Cadfael ... he was our tracker and muscle, see? Well, he had the bulk of our ... my wealth ... in his magical backpack. Which got incinerated and destroyed, along with anything else usable that might have helped. Just some things we were going to hoc once we got to town. As it is, I don't even have a score of coins, and none are platinum.

"Seems to be just the way things happen with me, though. I just can't seem to hold onto money. Worse, I always seem to have debts hanging over my head. I was actually headed back to my hometown because I there's a gambling tourney there, and my gut tells me my luck is going to change. I've always been optimistic, in fact, and even though right now is one of those rare times where I don't owe anybody any money (just paid off a recent loan from a local moneylender), I know that'll change soon enough. Better to start amassing money now when I'm at my rare windfall times! I've set aside a gold coin for the entrance fee, and I'm looking forward to making it big .... I can feel it in my bones! This time's gonna be the big one!

"Course, I have two gold coins for two entry fees. If I win, I had the fee and I keep it, but I promise to try to help out. If you gamble and you win, I fronted your part so I get half ... but I still use some of the winnings to help out. Either way, a big score alone won't be enough for either of us. I'm a wizard ... ("You're a wizard, Harry!") ... and that's an expensive profession. I don't know what kind of magic you wield, but no magic is inexpensive, especially if you have to do research for it. Which means we gotta find a job. So the question I have for you, then ..."

"You know how to gamble?"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan laughs softly. "I understand what you mean. I've never gambled before, or at least I don't remember doing so, but there's no harm in giving it a try. Anything to help the both of us right now. Lead the way then." Assuming Dirk is done with the conversation, and the two of them set off, Daevan fills the time not spent talking trying his best to make sure he doesn't forget the Nursery Rhyme taught to him by Al'kra, mostly by humming the words to himself.

19. - Top - End - #19

You've already expressed desire to be aware of your physicality as little as possible. Still, there is that sense ... that somehow you might be ... taller? Your perspective has definitely changed. The thing that can't be ignored?

You keep dragging your knuckles on the ground ... behind you.

What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan will pull his arms up and cross them, only slightly annoyed by the fact that they have been dragging on the ground the entire time.

21. - Top - End - #21

You can't cross them ... not properly.

They are too long.

Dunh-dunh-dunh!

As you trudge along, you realize that either you are way up in the mountains, and you're not sure that you are because you are breathing fine, or the gods have played a cruel joke on you and you are walking around some unknown, mountainous wilderness ... in the wintertime. It begins to snow, and all you have to keep you warm is what was a spare heavy cloak. Not having dared look at yourself for fear of madness, you also realize ... your manhood is as a windchime to the breeze ... swinging about and damn cold.

Do you recommend stopping to dig in and get warmth and a bite to ... wait a minute. Waaiiiiiit .... you haven't had anything to eat or drink. And as soon as you realize this, your stomach grumbles. You don't remember Dirk having eaten anything this morning before you headed out, though he woke you and could have eaten beforehand.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-02-28 at 01:01 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan grumbles at both himself and his hunger. "We got anything to eat?"

23. - Top - End - #23

"Should we stop?" he turns and asks, seeming concerned. "I saw what happened my ice storm hit you. It look like it had way more effect on you, and already that cloak is spare on you. Should we stop and make a fire? I can try to forage, but it's the mountains in winter, and our food was..." he shrugs, and you know he refers to someone else must have been carrying food and it is all gone. "That, or we try to push on; don't expect miracles, though ... it's the dead of winter."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan shakes his head. "Unless you plan to light me on fire, I'll be fine. After the crazy stuff i've already been through recently, I'm sure I can tough it out. How far off are we, anyways?" As he speaks, he is reminded vaguely of a companion he once had who would have done so, and fights his memories to try and remember anything more, but fails.

25. - Top - End - #25

"A day or two, maybe," he says. "I think we'll slow down a little. We need to keep moving, but we can't keep our strength up in the cold if we're hungry and dehydrated."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Lets cover as much ground as we can still. I'm sure if we're lucky we might be able to at least come across something made of meat to kill. Although when we take a break, I'd like to see what you might have in terms of gear at all." He shivers a bit, but grits his teeth and keeps going, wishing to return to civilization of some kind.

27. - Top - End - #27

Thumbs down Re: The Day the Daevan Stood Still [IC]

Dirk leads you, however, he is not trying to go too quickly. His claim is that attempting to move as quickly as you normally would might seem right at first, but you sweat and you get ice in your lungs. Steady, controlled movement, he declares, is better. You mull this over as you walk, and although counterintuitive it seems to make sense. That doesn't stop frostbite and fatigue from setting in. At the end of an hour of tromping around in freezing weather you both end up taking 3 NL cold and are fatigued.

The next three hours, neither of you suffer additionally in numbers, but that doesn't mean that the cold isn't continuing to work on your system. Cold sucks. It really sucks. You were always a creature of comforts before, but you could always just step back indoors.

The fourth hour, Dirk takes 2 NL cold. The fifth hour, Dirk takes 5 NL cold. The sixth hour, he takes 2 NL cold. The seventh hour, no one takes any frostbite, but it dawns on you from little clues here and there ... you are lost.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan shivers and groans after the long trip, knowing that the cold is starting to wear the two of them down. After some time, he finally speaks up. "Maybe it is a good time to take a rest? It feels like we might be lost, and I might be able to help us with that after we rest some. Maybe." While he speaks, and afterwards as they look for a safe place to rest, Daevan keeps an eye out for some materials he might be able to use to manage one of the rituals he remembers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Specially, Daevan will be looking for twigs, rocks, and herbs, in hopes of being able to make the Cave Mother pact while they rest. Anything he can't find he will ask Dirk about.

29. - Top - End - #29

He nods. "Help me get some wood together for a fire."

Seeing as survival is more pressing, you will do just that. In the hour it takes to gather what you need, you will take a whopping 9 NL and he takes 4 NL.

Something is beginning to dawn on you ... several things, actually.

First, you seemed to have - albeit just barely and minor, a sense of things in the mountains. You don't have any book knowledge, but your instinct about getting noticing you were lost, having a sense of direction (though without knowledge of destination, that profits only a little), and even being able to figure out little intuitive ways to fight off the chill ... this is something you're sure you've never possessed before. It is almost feral knowledge.

Second, you know that while feral intuition helps, your body seems to be extraordinarily resilient to have withstood several hours of cold with little effect.

Third, that despite this resilience, once the cold manages to affect you ... it really effects you.

Fourth, your senses are honed quite a bit more than they used to be. This seems to be diminished by the constant pain you are in as you move, but still helps exceed your previous ability.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have a rank in Survival ... it is treated as a class skill ... and you have a +4 racial bonus.

You have a whopping, superhuman 23 CON. Your base Fort save is no better than before - though as a binder your body was used to dealing with extremes - but wow.

Your great save and Survival bonus helped your Fort saves against the cold, but once it hit you ... you have vulnerability to cold.

Despite the drop in WIS as you are distracted both physically and mentally, and having no more training in Perception than before, your senses are incredible ... you have a +6 racial bonus to Perception checks. In addition to raw bonus ... you now have darkvision, low-light vision, and you are slowly realizing you have the scent special quality. Something else is going on with your tactile senses, but with your pain and with all the movement it is hard to tell what that is yet.

He knows how to start a fire, as does anyone, but he has the skill of a basic adventurer ... you are much more skilled and he merely assists.

Then, you go to gather what you need to bind Cave Mother, but ... "You forget. I am in your mind; your thoughts are not hidden to me. I shall be your first binding. Things will go well for us if you sacrifice that idiot, but I won't require it. But I do require me to be your very first."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-03-05 at 05:40 AM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan continues to collect the materials he seeks, while talking to the Tall Man. "Al'kra. I have not forgotten you. I seek to bind Cave Mother for her powers that will support my return to civilization. I know not what powers you possess, but even you should realize that it is in your best interests if I do not die here in the cold."