New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: IC: Dragon Campaign - Wyrmlinghood

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    As you gently land, you see the Tabaxi has pulled a bow and has it trained in your direction. It seems to be watching you almost as keenly as you are watching it. Like you, it remains silent.
    Hello kitty, Zaratii thinks to herself, I wouldn't threaten me if I were you. Might make me decide I'm still hungry.

She continues the stare-off for a few beats, deciding how to present herself, before speaking in tongues.

"Shouldn't you be careful aiming upwards like that? What goes up, must come down."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xanyo View Post
    Hello kitty, Zaratii thinks to herself, I wouldn't threaten me if I were you. Might make me decide I'm still hungry.

She continues the stare-off for a few beats, deciding how to present herself, before speaking in tongues.

"Shouldn't you be careful aiming upwards like that? What goes up, must come down."
    "Yes. Thankfully, I have a target that I am aiming at, and a forest largely empty of anyone I would worry about hitting.

"Curious that you speak. I have not seen one such as you around here before."

Quote Originally Posted by Deadguy View Post
    Once she had been dragged completely under the water and her only real offensive weapon neutralized, the black hatchling went completely limp in the jaws of the reptile. Her hope was that it would leave her sit on the bottom to ferment as her own kind did, or just swallow her whole.
    Feeling its tiny prey go limp, the crocodile quickly snaps you up. Thankfully, the creature is unable to chew, and you only take 7 piercing damage as you are maneuvered to be swallowed.

It's dark. The acid in here is far weaker than your own breath weapon is capable of, but the crushing feeling around you (including that of previous meals) is not exactly fun either. You better find a way out of this quickly.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2020-06-03 at 12:55 PM.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Once inside the beast's belly, her mouth was once again free. Sotet could feel her reserve of acid having been refreshed. The creature's stomach lining might be slightly resistant it, but she was sure that the remains of it's previous meals would all but dissolve. That would give her plenty of room to claw and bite her way out.

She spewed the corrosive without any added enzymes to make it stick to surfaces. This was as pure and potent as she could create within the tiny body.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Acid Breath (2d10)[16]
    Recharge (1d4-1)[0]

4. - Top - End - #64

"Yes. Thankfully, I have a target that I am aiming at, and a forest largely empty of anyone I would worry about hitting.

"Curious that you speak. I have not seen one such as you around here before."
    Engage in conversation. Keep them talking. Ask minor questions, let them answer, build rapport so they'll be more willing to talk. Let's go for nonchalance. Nonchalance, and subtly keeping control of the conversation.

"Probably because I haven't been around here before,"
    she purrs, "Hard to see someone who isn't there, isn't it? What are you doing out here in the middle of a storm, anyway? Won't drenched fur be rather uncomfortable?"

She holds onto the trunk of the tree, but lets herself look relaxed. Like the weapon pointed at her isn't a danger at all.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Once inside the beast's belly, her mouth was once again free. Sotet could feel her reserve of acid having been refreshed. The creature's stomach lining might be slightly resistant it, but she was sure that the remains of it's previous meals would all but dissolve. That would give her plenty of room to claw and bite her way out.

She spewed the corrosive without any added enzymes to make it stick to surfaces. This was as pure and potent as she could create within the tiny body.

Show

Acid Breath [roll0]
    Recharge [roll1]
    As you fill the reptile's stomach with a far more potent acid than it is used to, you feel it spasm violently. You take 5 bludgeoning damage as the body tenses around you, squeezing a half digested skeleton as well as several smooth stones into you.

Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

The black wyrmling struggled to remain in control of her instincts. Her whole body hurt. She could feel blood leaking from several puncture wounds inflicted by the maw of the crocodile. It's stomach was far less threatening, but still threatened to overwhelm her at any moment.

Her initial plan of clawing and biting her way out after she had released her acid quickly changed. Sotet could feel her body already flooding with the potent acid once again. The rush of adrenaline, the will to survive, a fluke ability passed down through her bloodline. At this very moment, it mattered very little. All that mattered was bathing this creature's insides until only a husk remained.

Show

Acid Breath Weapon (2d10)[10]
    Recharge (1d4-1)[1]

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

The black wyrmling struggled to remain in control of her instincts. Her whole body hurt. She could feel blood leaking from several puncture wounds inflicted by the maw of the crocodile. It's stomach was far less threatening, but still threatened to overwhelm her at any moment.

Her initial plan of clawing and biting her way out after she had released her acid quickly changed. Sotet could feel her body already flooding with the potent acid once again. The rush of adrenaline, the will to survive, a fluke ability passed down through her bloodline. At this very moment, it mattered very little. All that mattered was bathing this creature's insides until only a husk remained.

Show

Acid Breath Weapon [roll0]
    Recharge [roll1]
    Panicked and raging, you release one last burst of breath, and you see... light! The muscles around you give a shudder and clench, before going slack. Squirming out of the crocodile's body, you find the creature very, very dead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Battered, bloodied, you have 600XP, and a crocodile free pond.

Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Sotet remained in the water. She was in no condition to fight a possible aerial or land predator that might see her as an easy meal now. Besides, she had food. The body of the reptile would age nicely at the bottom of her new domain.

Once she was at the bottom, she tested the firmness. She hoped it was soft enough to dig in. To hold her pool of acid, it would need to be dug out to the bedrock. That massive task could wait though. Sotet had felt a number of things while inside the crocodile. She was interested in what they were, so she combed the inside of the carcass and the bottom.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge (Nature) vs Pond (spring / runoff fed, type of bottom) (1d20+10)[19]
    Search vs stomach contents (1d20+6)[12]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Inside the stomach, you find mostly bones and fur - evidently a traveling member of the lesser race that lives here. Mixed with the fur though, you manage to find 134 golden coins, in mostly usable condition. You also find a dark bottle, the top corked and sealed in wax. The pond itself is an offshoot from the river that runs from the mountain, and slowly gives way to swampy ground. Good soil drainage prevents it from continuing to flow.

Engage in conversation. Keep them talking. Ask minor questions, let them answer, build rapport so they'll be more willing to talk. Let's go for nonchalance. Nonchalance, and subtly keeping control of the conversation.

"Probably because I haven't been around here before,"
    she purrs, "Hard to see someone who isn't there, isn't it? What are you doing out here in the middle of a storm, anyway? Won't drenched fur be rather uncomfortable?"

She holds onto the trunk of the tree, but lets herself look relaxed. Like the weapon pointed at her isn't a danger at all.
    "That would make sense, then," the Tabaxi says. They lower the draw on their bow, but keep the weapon held. He seems to smile? It looks like the humanoid gesture. "A little rain? Nah, us southerners love the water. And it's still a warm day, even with the rain. Keeps the other animals away, too. Except you, I guess."
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2020-06-03 at 04:56 PM.

Show

10. - Top - End - #70

"That would make sense, then," the Tabaxi says. They lower the draw on their bow, but keep the weapon held. He seems to smile? It looks like the humanoid gesture. "A little rain? Nah, us southerners love the water. And it's still a warm day, even with the rain. Keeps the other animals away, too. Except you, I guess."
    Yes, I ask the questions, not you. Good.

"Since I'm unfamiliar with this region, perhaps you could fill me in a bit?"
    Zaratii proposes, "I haven't had a chance to talk to a local of Taishim yet. I know where I am, but, do apprise me of the local matters of interest?"

Speak as though asking a question, but phrase it as an instruction. Command, not question. Don't leave the choice of whether to answer.

As she speaks, the blue dragonling "idly" scratches at the bark of the tree.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I ask the questions, not you. Good.

"Since I'm unfamiliar with this region, perhaps you could fill me in a bit?"
    Zaratii proposes, "I haven't had a chance to talk to a local of Taishim yet. I know where I am, but, do apprise me of the local matters of interest?"

Speak as though asking a question, but phrase it as an instruction. Command, not question. Don't leave the choice of whether to answer.

As she speaks, the blue dragonling "idly" scratches at the bark of the tree.
    "Not from around here...? Where ya from?" the feline asks, curiously, hands still firm on the bow.

Show

12. - Top - End - #72

"Not from around here...? Where ya from?" the feline asks, curiously, hands still firm on the bow.
    Zaratii seethes silently. You do not get to ask questions. You are not worth the answers. You answer questions, not ask them. Now, how to get the cat back on track? Preferably without giving an answer, lest they feel invited to inquire further.

"It doesn't matter,"
    she comes close to hissing the words, but doesn't, "I'm here, so here is what matters."
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Zaratii seethes silently. You do not get to ask questions. You are not worth the answers. You answer questions, not ask them. Now, how to get the cat back on track? Preferably without giving an answer, lest they feel invited to inquire further.

"It doesn't matter,"
    she comes close to hissing the words, but doesn't, "I'm here, so here is what matters."
    "Well, I hope you enjoy here then. Trails run two ways." The Tabaxi stows their bow and pulls out a knife of some sort with a white blade, and the chopping sound returns - they appear to be removing the low branches of trees near the trail, stripping them of leaves, and then bundling the wood itself on a small carrier on their back. Looking around them, you can see that the trail here is very well maintained like this, despite no towns being visible. The whole path is layered in leaves which seem to prevent new plants from growing on the pathway, and very few branches appear to obstruct passage.

Show

14. - Top - End - #74

"Well, I hope you enjoy here then. Trails run two ways." The Tabaxi stows their bow and pulls out a knife of some sort with a white blade, and the chopping sound returns - they appear to be removing the low branches of trees near the trail, stripping them of leaves, and then bundling the wood itself on a small carrier on their back. Looking around them, you can see that the trail here is very well maintained like this, despite no towns being visible. The whole path is layered in leaves which seem to prevent new plants from growing on the pathway, and very few branches appear to obstruct passage.
    Why you insolent- wait, both ways? Zaratii glances up and down the path as she ponders. Mountainward and... seaward? I'd guess that the main settlement is seaward. Right, the greyskins mentioned... So what's mountainward that warrants a maintained path?

She considers, uncaring of the Tabaxi now that she has something useful, then leaps from the tree. Spreading her wings, she glides along the path towards the mountain, periodically beating her wings.

I should be sure to return to our meeting place before the others stir, but what better way to greet them than with information?
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Caej Zua'autl
    As your Mother and Father begin to wind down in their story, in the darkness you feel a sudden jolt.

No matter what may come, remember: you are strong, my child and you are noble, my little one. While we may quarrel, war, and scheme against one another, our shared heritage is what binds us, and what binds our kin.

And with that, the unison voices of your patrons fade into nothingness, and you are left alone, in darkness, cramped by walls on all sides. You can barely hear sounds around you, muffled and faint. You struggle, and squirm. You fear that Death will come for you before even tasting air, or seeing light. Panicking and mind growing faint, you shriek, exhaling a wave of sound that shatters the shell.

You find yourself looking around at four grey humanoids sitting by a fire, all staring at you.

Why you insolent- wait, both ways? Zaratii glances up and down the path as she ponders. Mountainward and... seaward? I'd guess that the main settlement is seaward. Right, the greyskins mentioned... So what's mountainward that warrants a maintained path?

She considers, uncaring of the Tabaxi now that she has something useful, then leaps from the tree. Spreading her wings, she glides along the path towards the mountain, periodically beating her wings.

I should be sure to return to our meeting place before the others stir, but what better way to greet them than with information?
    You follow the path which you notice begins to curve more to the west than north, until it eventually stops at a cabin. A soft glow emanates from behind a cloth that covers the windows.

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I flutter my still wet and useless wings and consider the humanoids carefully. It occurs to me that they are not giants, rather I am very small. This is a problem and it will need to be addressed in time. But for now, I want food, protection, and treasure, in that order.

"Salutations," I say, in the language that my parents talked to me in. Some distant part of me remembers echoes of another, older idiom, but it wouldn't be appropriate here. Were I full size, and these little humanoids towered over me like gods, maybe then they would speak in that other tongue. But only were they gods in truth...

These humanoids clearly seek a paragon to lead them to freedom and to fulfill their dreams. It occurs to me that ambition and freedom are the two most important things. One to seek power and the other, to embody it.

That the humanoids have a fire is a sign they are worthy to be my minions, for they have anticipated my needs. I am currently wet and cold. I proceed to curl up by the fire and spread my wings to dry.
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    Survived Total War: Mandate of Heaven as The Witch-Doctors
    Thrived in Empire! 7 as the Sakura-Jin

17. - Top - End - #77

You follow the path which you notice begins to curve more to the west than north, until it eventually stops at a cabin. A soft glow emanates from behind a cloth that covers the windows.
    Zaratii approaches the cabin, settling to the ground in front of the door.

A whole, actively maintained path just to lead to a single cabin? Either this hut houses someone of importance, or it covers a passageway of some sort. Let's find out, shall we? The Tabaxi was initially threatening, but only defensively. If the denizens here follow that pattern, I should be fine. If they are more hostile, well, few creatures fly faster than a dragon.

She considers the door for a moment, then speaks loudly: "Knock, knock!"
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feathersnow View Post
    I flutter my still wet and useless wings and consider the humanoids carefully. It occurs to me that they are not giants, rather I am very small. This is a problem and it will need to be addressed in time. But for now, I want food, protection, and treasure, in that order.

"Salutations," I say, in the language that my parents talked to me in. Some distant part of me remembers echoes of another, older idiom, but it wouldn't be appropriate here. Were I full size, and these little humanoids towered over me like gods, maybe then they would speak in that other tongue. But only were they gods in truth...

These humanoids clearly seek a paragon to lead them to freedom and to fulfill their dreams. It occurs to me that ambition and freedom are the two most important things. One to seek power and the other, to embody it.

That the humanoids have a fire is a sign they are worthy to be my minions, for they have anticipated my needs. I am currently wet and cold. I proceed to curl up by the fire and spread my wings to dry.
    The humanoids stare somewhat in disbelief, seeming to not respond to the greeting. They begin to mumble to one another in a language that it takes you a second to understand, your natural gift for tongues translating. "Another one?" I hope the others don't hatch before we get there, too." "Well at least this time there's only one." "Think it will be as pompous as the others?" "On its own? Maybe not. Only one could actually speak to us, it seemed, but they had numbers before."

Zaratii approaches the cabin, settling to the ground in front of the door.

A whole, actively maintained path just to lead to a single cabin? Either this hut houses someone of importance, or it covers a passageway of some sort. Let's find out, shall we? The Tabaxi was initially threatening, but only defensively. If the denizens here follow that pattern, I should be fine. If they are more hostile, well, few creatures fly faster than a dragon.

She considers the door for a moment, then speaks loudly: "Knock, knock!"
    Nobody answers the door.

Show

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Caej Zua'autl considers this new information and tries, with growing confidence, to try speaking the strange liquid language of the humanoids

So there are others? Do you mean other hatchling dragons? Tell me of them!? Why did you reject serving them? Where are they now?

A pause. Caej Zua'autl feels a bitter emptiness inside her tiny, elongated frame. This, she intuits, is the thing called "hunger".

I appreciate your initiative in preparing this fire for me. Could it be you also anticipated that I will be hungry? Please give me food.

That word "please. " It sounds wrong. It's closest approximation in the Ancestor Tongue is a terrified whimper that presages one's death or one committing betrayal of false surrender to a stupid enemy. It also tastes in the mouth like the meaningless mutterings that are like grooming to particularly favored servants. But the implication in the humanoids' own language is somehow demeaning. Like it implies an equal or even... subservient relationship between the speakers. The god language has no such niceties at all.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The humanoids by the fire seems startled when you start speaking their language. "Oh great, this one can, too... We didn't reject serving them, they never asked, and we wouldn't if they demanded it. We were just delivering what we were told were polished gems. ...and this fire wasn't made for any of you, it was made to help us dry from the rainstorm outside. If you want food, go find the other little ones," one of them says rather dismissively. The others seem to chuckle at this, one slapping him on the shoulder playfully before walking to the cave entrance, where you can now more clearly see four more humanoids, a little taller than the ones near the fire but still the same race.

Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Caej Zua'autl considers this. Apparently, these benighted humanoids weren't cultist devoted to awaiting the advent of her, their glorious leader and god. That was unfortunate, for both them, and more importantly, for her.

So... you are not yet my loyal minions. I regret your poor judgment. But I bear you no ill will

If I understand correctly, you were hired to courier my unborn self and the eggs of other dragons to some unknown fate. This normally would offend me, but I am moved to forgive you due to your plea of ignorance.

Might I offer a counterproposal. Your buyer has acted in bad faith and exposed you to vicious dragons without any preparation nor any way to earn our goodwill. Join me, in whatever capacity you choose, in ambushing and robbing them!
    If you feed me now, I will consider the food purchased from my share of the loot. You may do as you wish with the remaining eggs.

If I prove myself able, you are welcome to reconsider serving me. If you persist in your independence, I will not press the issue, but rather remain an equal partner. If you refuse, I ask that you allow me to remain in peace until the storm passes.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"We will take the latter," the grey skinned humanoid says, getting a bit of a toothy grin, "we already have ways of... responding to those that cross us in deals. I'm sure the Tabaxi of Kawazawa will love a visit from us and our friends, yeah?" he says, turning to the others. They all nod in agreement, mimicking the apparent eagerness at whatever fate awaited their employers. "As we said, we don't have food, but your sitting by the fire will do us no harm."

Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Caej Zua'autl shrugs.

Your loss. Thank you for your hospitality.

[Curses in truespeech] now I am going to have to find my own food.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

24. - Top - End - #84

Nobody answers the door.
    Zaratii tries to get a look through the window, then returns to the door. Hopping up, she scrabbles at the mechanism, trying to open the door.

"KNOCK KNOCK!" she yells louder, annoyed at the deafening sound of the storm.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Zaratii tries to get a look through the window, then returns to the door. Hopping up, she scrabbles at the mechanism, trying to open the door.

"KNOCK KNOCK!" she yells louder, annoyed at the deafening sound of the storm.
    There's not so much a mechanism as there is a roughly built set of boards bound by nails on a hinge. The inside of the building is quaint - a small fire burns in a stone firepit, smoke rising up a basic chimney structure. A table with two chairs, one heavily coated in dust, sits by the window. A few books with worn covers sit on a shelf. The walls are covered in animal trophies and skins - black bears, boars, deer, as well as a feathery belt that you recognize as that of an owlbear, which seems to be a centerpiece.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2020-06-08 at 09:58 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

After an interminable time that seems like eternity, but was probably a few minutes, Caej Zua'autl gets sick of waiting. Her wings are still setting, but she is very hungry.

Without further ceremony, she slithers off deeper into the cave in hopes she can find some kind of small creature to devour.
    GNU Terry Pratchett

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

After an interminable time that seems like eternity, but was probably a few minutes, Caej Zua'autl gets sick of waiting. Her wings are still setting, but she is very hungry.

Without further ceremony, she slithers off deeper into the cave in hopes she can find some kind of small creature to devour.
    You move deeper, and soon find a delicious first meal - a rat. Nothing grand, but your instincts lead you. Sneak, remain quiet while moving faster than your target. You see its little nose twitch and turn to face you, but it's too late! You leap, claws digging into the creature and silencing it before it can manage so much as a squeak. Your tumbling through the cave makes a little noise, and from deeper in, you hear voices, different from those of the grey humanoids near the entrance.

Show

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Meat is good. Killing is fun. The joy of self-reliance, perhaps comparable to the glory of being worshipped...

Those orcs were fools to ignore her offer, but their rations couldn't have been as delicious as this rat.

But then... voices! They could be a threat, or potential allies. Best to learn more before revealing myself.

Caej Zua'autl tries to hide and listen to these voices.

Spoiler: do the thing!
    Show
    Hide (not counting size modifiers I forget if exist in this edition) (1d20+2)[5]

Listen (not counting racial modifiers I forget if dragons are supposed to have) (1d20+9)[26]
    GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Meat is good. Killing is fun. The joy of self-reliance, perhaps comparable to the glory of being worshipped...

Those orcs were fools to ignore her offer, but their rations couldn't have been as delicious as this rat.

But then... voices! They could be a threat, or potential allies. Best to learn more before revealing myself.

Caej Zua'autl tries to hide and listen to these voices.

Spoiler: do the thing!
    Show
    Hide (not counting size modifiers I forget if exist in this edition) [roll0]

Listen (not counting racial modifiers I forget if dragons are supposed to have) [roll1]
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You have no racial modifiers to any skill checks, unless you have a natural swim speed. I do not believe that Incarnum Dragons have those.

Size modifiers do exist in 3.5.

You quietly sneak forward, but get a little too careless as you turn a corner. Two humanoids, features far more delicate than the ashen skinned ones earlier, happen to look your way as you peak around a corner. They both are almost shirtless, red dyed cloths draped down their shoulders, leaving their chest exposed. Their limbs are also covered in this cloth, which appears thicker at the fringes. Each carries a wicker shield, and has some weapon at their hip, what appears to be a wooden club with dark stones embedded in it. Their chests, though exposed, appear to have a two square foot, rhombus shaped patch of scales. One whispers to the other in a language which is once again not the fine sound of Draconic, but which is still understood by your gifted ear. "Have you seen a lizard like that, Metztli?"

"Never, not even in the homeland."

"I wonder if it's local?"

The named one, Metztli apparently, bends down and takes something out of a pack. "It's a lizard, it probably likes meat..." In its hand you smell meat, but it's salty, and the scent of fire wafts from it. They appear to be holding it out to you.

Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Caej Zua'autl tries to approximate their language. Hello! Is that for me? You are very kind and wise to offer it to me. In exchange, I am willing to offer you intelligence on the other humanoids that are squatting in your cave.

The first group of humanoids was ungrateful and boorish, but perhaps they had a point about needing her. These new humanoids weren't so standoffish, but maybe that was suspicious. Offering a trade might make them more willing to ally with her.
    GNU Terry Pratchett