Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
Results 331 to 351 of 351
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    The changeling shudders as the undead dies from Gryphons blow, the eldritch magics he had called on healing him now that the one he had cursed was dead. He looks to the next undead and remaining linchpin.

    Kleris rushes forward to the next undead soldier that Arimart is fighting. As he goes he drops his shield to better hold his sword. As he gets close he plants his right foot as he finishes his last stride and rips his sword downward with all the momentum of his charge. A wordless yell comes from his lips as he bends all of his tired body to the destruction of the undead. The sword behind to glow as the strike reaches its peak and crashing down.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kleris heals 7 from the Curse. Kleris moves up behind the undead, flanking from Arimart for the attack. Smite if the attack hits.

    Roll with Advantage: (1d20+7)[26] and (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage: [roll]1d10+3d8+4[/roll]
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon looks down the the smoke and blood stains on his white and gold outfit and then stares up At the heavens for a moment almost pleadingly. Dress with an iota of style and they all whisper that you’re a witch. Dress in their formal wear and they pour fire and blood all over you. There really is no winning with these humans.

    Gryphon stalks toward the remaining undead with thoughts of dry cleaning storming in his head. He calls out to the archers and officer on the wall.

    Oh don’t worry guards; there’s just an uncontrolled, armed, undead here trying to kill people. Don’t step in and prevent this abomination from hurting people in the city. I’d hate to see your arms get tires from drawing back your bowstrings

    Moving into a pincer maneuver with Kleris Gryphon takes out his sartorial frustrations on the walking corpse. Staying low he pulls his Shadow Blade upward in a two handed grip in the fencing equivalent of an uppercut in an attempt to split the monstrosity from groin to clavical and follows up with a flurry of rapid One handed thrusts aimed at its center mass.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gryphon moves to flank with Kleris and attacks twice with advantage

    First Attack: (1d20+5)[15]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[24]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[19]
    If Crit: (3d8)[9]

    Second Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[12]
    If Crit: [/roll]3d8[/roll]
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    With the number of your enemies reduced, you are able to focus your energies on those that remain. Of them, there is only one of note: the clacking bones of the undead champion stands before you, shield raised against the storm of your combined attentions. And yet it is not enough: Arimart's steed is the first to break through, hooves from upon high smashing over the rim of steel to crack through the monster's jaw. A swing from the newly liberated magestaff in Kett’s able hands follows it up, the shaft snapping something under the skeleton’s greaves and it stumbles forwards. Now off-balance, it is unprepared for the tested tandem assault of Gryphon and Kleris. The resulting cuts and slashes from both half-elves cleave through the last vestiges of the undead’s magic, and it breaks apart at your feet.

    The bones barely have time to settle before you hear the distinct sounds of raised voices, this time from the other side of the Thronehold Gate. The ranking Warden in the tower has disappeared from view, and you pick up on the ominous groan of metal on stone the portal is opening at long last, though to what end you are not sure. The remaining Karrnathi, not seeing much incentive to continue fighting at this juncture, cautiously back away and adopt defensive positions, though they do not divest themselves of their arms.

    Maugrim takes no steps to pursue them. Instead, he lets out a single shuddering breath. His halberd slips in his fingers, the savage vitality that saw him decapitating other men ebbing away before your sight.

    "I don't... don't know how much time I have." The old soldier's eyes, bright only moments ago, are already losing their lustre. He barely sees any of you, gaze wheeling about the carnage of the square and starting to slip away. "In case I become lost once more, it's critical that you know the truth. After everything, after Thaliost and Deneith and Alis... I hid away, but his people found me all the same. An Aundairian officer by the name of Jurian Corleis, though the name is most certainly an alias. He wanted an incident, a big disaster with a public, infamous name attached to it."

    He snorts in derision, waving at the pillar of smoke that continues to rise from the district at your back. "And I suppose he got what he wanted."

    As Nameless speaks, the Deneith sentinels atop the walls have begun to point their bows in your direction. There must be at least a score that you can see, and far more hidden from view. From the stone ramparts comes a deep-throated yell: "DROP YOUR WEAPONS IMMEDIATELY, OR BE FIRED UPON!"

    But what you see when light spills from the gap into the castle grounds is not mere Karrnathi, nor is it solely the bared blades of the Throne Wardens. You spot among the banners and heralds the telltale bear and crossed axes of Breland, the soaring dragonhawk of Aundair, the glimmering flame of Thrane, and more besides. Complements from every single one of the recognized nations of this city have gathered on the other side of the Thronehold Gate, all assembled in trains behind ten figures who stand on the gravel.

    The Thronehold Tribunal has come to collect its man.

    Spoiler: Raz
    Show
    You know the name 'Jurian Corleis' as you've heard it before, in the military camps of Aundair in the Reach: it's an old alias used by members of Aundairian high command that requested deniable materials or personnel. According to your sources, the alias has been retired since the Last War. More pertinently, that name has been used by one man in particular... Haldren ir'Brassek.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-02 at 04:58 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kett maintains a grip on the staff - for now. The party was one and a half feet in the grave, with what looked to be the better part of an army bearing down on them and a company of archers on high ground, and they were doing the whole 'drop your weapons' thing? After what they - and more importantly, what Kett - just went through? "This is absolute lhûgtraak," she mutters to the party. Maugrim's words meant nothing to her, a name she didn't recognise or honestly care for. She was more focused on the ridiculousness of the Tribunal. Maybe she should start collecting names. For later. Much later. No, no, she was just irritated and a bit incensed from nearly dying. They weren't worth her time. For now. "What was their big plan if we lost? Was there even any point in all this?" She gesture to the carnage around them. "Seemed happy to throw you on the chopping block. Go on then," she raises her voice slightly at Arimart and juts her head at the archers. "Do your thing."

    She kneels down beside the mage and sets the staff to the floor - in easy reach, should it be needed, mostly just to free up her hand so she can start rifling through the spellcaster's pockets and pack. "They'll probably claim the bodies if we don't get there first - grab what you can, while you can." With her back to the rest of the party she begins the looting for her spoils. Without turning to them, she speaks up without any hesitation or embarrassment. "Oh, and good job in the fight. Saved my bacon. I'll make sure to return the favour." That last bit was a lie. She wouldn't *not* return it if the opportunity came up to do so, but she'd also probably skip out on it with nary a second thought.

    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show

    A swearword, loosely translated as 'dragon poop'.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    The sailor woman is right Gryphon. Steal that mustachioed fool’s magic while you have the chance.

    Listening to his familiar’s advice, Gryphon relaxes his grip on his shadowy sword. The blade disappeared first before the ivory handle disintegrates into nothingness. They were very clear that they want us to drop our weapons. No such orders about “hands up” or “get on the ground” or even “don’t rob and desecrate those corpses”.

    This magician possessed dangerous magic including the ability to animate the dead. Gryphon says to his party. It’s important that we collect his spellbook to prevent its perilous secrets from spilling out into the world. With that the young wizard collects anything from the magician’s corpse that could conceivably be a spellbook and tucks it safely away into his Bag of Holding before trying to identify any other magic items from the carnage.

    As Maugrim speaks Gryphon mentally notes his words in case the old human’s mind once again leaves him. There was a tragedy, that even Gryphon’s cold heart could appreciate, in Maugrim’s state. Knowing that your mind will slip away, knowing it’s coming and being unable to stop it. Dreadful. Dreadful in the true sense of the word. What the hells really happened at Thaliost? Was Nameless really just chosen to tie a name to a spectacle? It looks like the Tribunal’s going to need the help of a certain Droaamite Diviner to solve this.

    Gryphon looks up and sees the banners of the Tribunal and back down to his clothes and back up again. With practiced external calmness combined with frantic inner tension he casts Prestidigitation on his ensemble and hair in at attempt to not only look presentable but hopefully even dashing.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    "Mmmhmm." Kett replies as she digs further into the mage's pack, looking for the book. "Perilous secrets are fine as long as they're our secrets, right?" It's difficult to pin down her tone, a mix of teasing accusation, mild pondering and bemusement. She doubted he had such altruistic purposes in mind, but equally it wasn't any skin off her nose if he got himself a skeleton butler. She wasn't unaccustomed to spellbooks - on the occasion she'd killed a user she'd always taken them with her to donate to the House libraries/coffers, and she watches Gryphon take it with only mild interest. The heft and smell were familiar - that pervasive bookdust spell that seemed to accompany each one, mixed with the pungent scent of the magic ink they used. It'd make for good bedtime reading in case she ever had trouble dropping off to sleep.

    Lia had tried to teach her a few times but it had gone in one eye and out the other. Perhaps it was worth another shot to learn. Later, of course. They were rather more preoccupied right now.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-08-03 at 06:06 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Sask internally breathes a sigh of relief. He lets his Kleris persona drop for second, if not the looks of the half elf. The last 24 hours had been rough, he hadn't had this much trouble with his personas for a long time. Even seeing the marching troops wasn't that bad since one way or another this was ending.

    After his personal second he dons Kleris once more. He eyes the two rummaging through the wizards unconcious body and nods, "Good idea."

    He puts away the longsword and quickly takes a few steps to the side where he dropped his shield. After he hooks that onto his back he returns to where the Paladins mount was now moving to block and starts to rummage through the undeads remains. If nothing else he could grab a quick longsword or shield to sell later.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  8. - Top - End - #338
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    When the last of the abominations falls, Raz sees it in his opponents widened eyes, who is stuck between enemy and pillar. Taking a step backwards, the shifter increases the distance, and slightly lowers his rapier, hoping the guard would now choose retreat or treating their wounded over further assault. Fortunately, the unspoken invitation finds acceptance.

    Heartbeats later, as the sound of combat tunes down, the voice of the commander on the other side of the gate cuts through Raz like a hot blade. Trapped. A hiss evades him as he hectically looks to the sides. No way to go! As his comrades lower their weapons, he finds himself complying, fiery despair in his eyes, as they glide over the small armies behind the gate. Like so many criminals, he has never planned for being captured during their heist. Nonononono. The idea of being put into protective custody does not cross his mind until he notices the different banners, feeding the hope that everyone might just be afraid of rash decisions.

    As soon as the old sentinel speaks, however, Raz feels it in the old man's voice: Something important would be revealed. A name is spoken and for a moment, time stands still, as it all vanishes from sight. No castle, no barricade, no battle, only…

    "Do you know where he is? Was? Operates? Names? Locations? Anything?" Raz hears himself asking lowly but determined, before getting a grip again. He glances swiftly over his teammates who appear to be more concerned with looking for valuables.

    Regardless the answer of the old man (if any), he adds, now more controlled and less demanding, with a warm tint in his voice. "Your words will be remembered, and acted upon. I leave judging you for your past to others, as I only met you today. But you chose to save her even with your own fate sealed. They might have looked for a pawn but encountered a knight. May you find peace wherever your path leads."

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As the final undead abomination falls and the other Karrnathi warriors leave their positions Arimart sighs in relief. It looks like they did it!

    From the walls, the familiar traitorous faces of the cursed Deneith have finally disappeared, and in their place are other, equally familiar but more friendly (at least for him). The Tribunal has won the day again!

    As he turns around, he notices Gryphon and Kett looting the wizard of his most precious goods; he is a bit annoyed by the unethical behavior of his companions, but understands that the barbaric ways of his fellow Khoravar and possibly low upbringing of the capable woman are something he can not deal with now. Swiftly, he orders his steed to move over them, just to give his two companions enough cover to finish their less than respectable 'job'.

    He puts away his hammer, walks toward Maugrim and shouts at the men on the walls:
    "Arimart Kaessal is here, my mission is accomplished. Me and my companions here serve the cause of justice!"

    At the same time, he hears Maugrim revelation and, after Raz whispered something to him, he approaches the old veteran, gesturing him to leave his weapon to the Khoravar Paladin.
    "I give you my thanks and my respect, Sir Maugrim. You may be Nameless, but there's more honour to be found in you then in your house. Thaliost cries for justice will be answered, but know that whatever happens, I will do my best to find the truth on what happened today. And not only today."
    Does this poster have a sign?

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Although the retinues of the Tribunal are in sight, none cross the threshold to greet you. Instead, squads dressed in emerald with silver and gold rush out of the opening, hands on their swords and waiting for you to make any sudden moves. Rummaging through the belongings of the dead therefore proves a quick affair by necessity alone, but thanks to the timely intervention of a knight and his trusty horse, you are able to come away with a few choice items. Aside from the staff and spellbook of the wizard now taking a bloody nap, Kleris is able to salvage an ornate brass belt buckle with a family crest and what looks like a death mask carved of porcelain with garnet inlays.

    The Throne Wardens are upon you within a minute, surrounding you on all sides and grabbing you at the shoulders and forearms with perhaps more force than is necessary. Maugrim does nothing to resist the arrest, bowing his head as he is the first to be roughly escorted towards the open gates. At first he gives no indication of having heard either questions or acclaims, but as he passes you he looks at both Arimart and Raz, shaking his head slightly at the latter. The message there is clear.

    Before long, the rest of you are brought under the shadow of the gate and onto the grounds on the other side. Gone are the red-spattered cobbles and smoking wooden beams of your arena, the solid splendour of the Karrnathi Zone or the dancing arches of Thrane’s quarter. Instead, you find yourselves on a gravel drive wide enough for a small cavalry charge. Up ahead, fields of dirt and levelled grass play host to games of archery, horsemanship, and other assorted duels. The landscape is also dominated by long rectangular buildings of plain and obviously fortified granite: the barracks of the various regiments of the Throne Wardens, sworn to defend the ancestral seat of Galifar. And judging by the way that most of them are watching you, you might guess that you had personally sworn to destroy the promise of the kingdom they held so dear.

    "What is the meaning of this?" The indignant voice comes from a plump man wearing a coat of navy wool over a gold patterned vest and immaculate boots of midnight leather. His position under the Brelish flag marks him out as the representative from the same country, one Magistrate Berem Lann. His confederates, who are mostly human like he is but boast several other more exotic members such as a shifter in a robe with prayer beads, a hobgoblin in ceremonial scale mail, and a white-skinned figure that you recognize as a changeling, seem willing to stop and listen to his words. "Did you perhaps not hear the man, Colonel Therin? Sir Kaessel is an appointed representative of this court, and is to be afforded better treatment than a common criminal."

    Yet Lann's rebuke is not directed at any of his peers; instead, the judge speaks to the very same officer who presided over the gates, who appears at the head of a smaller cadre of guards wearing the chimera and crown of his office. He looks a few years younger than Kett, clean-shaven with close cropped honey hair. Though his nose appears misshapen - as though broken and then healed before being properly set - he boasts a jawline that most man would envy. At his hip, he carries a sword with a platinum pommel. Not sparing any of you a glance, he meets the Tribunal's attention with a level gaze.

    "You are correct in principle, magistrate. And yet Maugrim Nameless is wanted for a long list of capital crimes, including but not limited to multiple counts of murder, assault, and mass destruction," the Deneith colonel replies. "Continued association with such a figure would be suspect at best, and outright illegal at worst. That does not even take into consideration the fact that I myself watched them cut down innocent men and women from Karrnath in order to defend a war criminal, in stark opposition to local law. Why, then, should they not be arrested right alongside Nameless?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    For the loot acquired (and spreadsheet to be made), we will need to add: a magic staff of uncertain function, a wizard spellbook, and both the buckle and death mask. The buckle is worth 35 gp, and the mask is worth 210 gp. As per the standard D&D economy rules, they’ll sell for half of their value unless you find the right buyer and barter well.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-04 at 05:43 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Before they enter the Castle escorted by the guards, Arimart speaks to Raz, noticing his reaction to Maugrim words.

    "I can see that the old man earned your respect. As for me, you earned mine, when this thing will finally be over, I would like to share some words with you."

    (...)

    As the Deneith colonel finish speaking, Arimart looks at Berem Lann then turns at the officier of the law. "It is said that you Wardens do nothing more than watch in this city. If it is so, you must be a shame for your house, colonel, since you are not even capable of doing it.
    As you can notice by the fact that Maugrim Nameless followed us without resisting arrest, our work here was to escort him here at the tribunal to be tried for his crimes. The unfortunate demise of some of our Karrnath assailants is something terrible, and I will personally take care to collect their names and let their families know what happened today, maybe even as a result of your inability to act according our city rules. You refused to open the doors after I identified myself as a man of the Tribunal. Maybe you thought you were looking at a large duel? Or a brawl? Then let me remind you that in both cases you should have apprehended the Karrnathi men with us after stopping our fight, and neither of those things happened. Or would you care to explain the reasons of your clear disrespect for the laws of Galifar?"


    Before the colonel answers him, he turns again at Berem Lann and his others peers.

    "Magistrates, my fellows of the Tribunal, I was tasked with the mission to bring back Maugrim Nameless to be tried in this most high court, and, as you can see, I delivered.
    Do I have to remind you that the life of a citizen, even when wanted by the Tribunal, is the direct responsibility of the one who arrests him? For what I was able to discover, not without the incredible help of those standing now with me, there are other people interested in silencing Maugrim Nameless forever, people that will stop at nothing, judging by what happened this morning. But I won't be able to speak anything more of it, until after the Nameless will be taken into our custody and we will be away from... unreliable ears."

    With his last words, he slightly turns again at the Deneith colonel, but many other questions are dancing in Arimart's mind.
    "What about the smugglers? Who knew the precise number of people traveling with Maugrim? Syan Jarus is really connected to all this?"
    Does this poster have a sign?

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Fantasies of seeing the human colonel scream in pain while his blood vessels burst and his skin chars from being struck by a lightning bolt dance joyously through Gryphon mind as Therin justifies his actions to the tribunal.

    His eyes take in the collection of men and women that make up the judicial body. A shifter and open changeling! Interesting. It seems our little band of human and Darguunian judges is more progressive than I anticipated. I might actually have a shot at pulling this off.

    As the House Guards swarm in from their nests atop the walls forces his face back into nonplussed serenity as he tries to observe and remember each of their faces. Death by electrocution for their Colonel, that one’s head burst with Magic Missiles, that one Suggested to drink seawater until poisoned, that one hands Shattered off, Detect this big one’s Thoughts and tell his friends all his deepest secrets.

    As they’re being Frog-marched to the tribunal he calls out to Raz: Looks like neither of us need our burial wishes fulfilled today, parçonier*. Did that fireball hit you?


    Spoiler: *
    Show

    Goblin for partner
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kett moans suggestively when she's grabbed up from her kneeling position by the tribunal guards, giving a voluntary shudder at the touch, and instantly feels the grip slacken slightly, though not release entirely as she's marched through the gates. One of the oldest tricks in her book, and so far - regardless of who or what it was - it hadn't ever failed to work (though she hadn't yet tried it on any clankers). It was mostly for her comfort rather than slipping away in this instance. She didn't much fancy her odds at escape, especially in her current state. "Ah, you better give me that back when we're done," she mutters to the one to her right, jutting her chin towards the staff they've now 'confiscated'. "It's mine."

    Her eyes drift to the sword the Colonel's carrying. A pricey ornament, but she doubted it was any good for actually swinging. The weight would be all off from the blade, and woe betide him if he were foolish and rich enough to have the actual edge made of platinum. But it'd make an excellent souvenir if she could swipe it. Perhaps she'd be able to pocket some other things while they were at the centre of 'power', or what pretended to be power. Not all that powerful if they can't deploy their own troops in their own city for fear of starting a war. Or restarting one. Paper tigers, one and all. No wonder Arimart had to bring in outside help, must've been the only way to get anything done.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    The gathered expressions of the Tribunal members who observe Arimart's tirade run the gamut between the pleased to its opposite, between Berem Lann's quiet smile, to the neutral gaze of a the Aundairan magistrate in an azure robe, to the fanged grin of the hobgoblin and raised eyebrow of the changeling, to the narrowed eyes of the curvy Karrnathi diplomat in heavy armor. Colonel Therin betrays no sentiment when the prosecutor begins talking, though the corner of his mouth twitches upwards slightly as Arimart nears the middle of his speech.

    "This is a waste of time," the officer declares in the expectant silence that follows. "If you are indeed Sir Arimart Kaessel - and not a shapeshifter in disguise or placed under mental coercion by Nameless - then you would be well aware that the Throne Wardens are sworn to protect the seat of Galifar and the persons of the Tribunal. As per the formal division of this city, each of the zones are to be treated as sovereign territory of the country it is sworn to. Therefore, any intervention on the part of House Deneith in the Karrnathi Zone would be a threat of our promise of neutrality."

    Therin nods with his head behind him at the northernmost of the two gate towers. "As for your attempt at disparaging my personal character, I ordered the gate opened as soon as the fight broke out. Unfortunately, one of our mechanisms was compromised, and field repairs had to be completed before the gates could be opened and all combatants compelled to peacefully lay down arms."

    The Deneith officer is about to continue his tirade, but is interrupted by the clanging of steel. The magistrate from Karrnath, who you realize is not a human but a half-elf and bears captain's stripes on her shoulders, has snapped her fingers. Two of her soldiers rush past you, heading back through the open doorway. Staring down the commanding officer of the Throne Wardens, the captain pushes past him to survey each of you in turn. Her attention is not light, but neither is it full of the anger or disgust that you might have expected from someone of her loyalties. Instead, you see an cast-iron patience lurking beneath the surface of her, a bedrock that seems smooth and endless.

    "That's enough, Colonel. Now that Maugrim Nameless is in Tribunal custody, we will uncover the truth. Best we continue this discussion in the Hall of Judgment, under our court's seal. Karrnath will temporarily suspend any charges against Arimart Kaessel and his associates, if they can provide verifiable proof of their identities and that they had nothing to do with this morning's attack on Wolf's Rest." She watches as her men return dragging the body of the mage, his slumped arms draped over their shoulders, and one of them gives her a nod of confirmation. The captain gives you all a smirk.

    "At least they didn't kill the paracount. I doubt that I would have been able to hold back the King after telling him that one of his own kin died during this whole mess."

    Spoiler: Passive Insight 12
    Show
    Colonel Therin is absolutely lying about ordering the gate opened right away: he totally waited until you were all spent against the Karrnathi, and would not have lifted a finger to help you if you were losing. And he's not even trying to hide it, which tells you that he's supremely unconcerned about any punishment that the Tribunal might try to levy against him if pressed on the issue.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-05 at 05:25 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris happily pockets the buckle and face mask, that was a nice little surprise. The marching group of bureaucrats was less so. He listens with half an ear as Arimart and the representatives go back and forth over the legalities and responsibilities of what occurred today. A distant part of his mind chimed in that they did break a good amount of laws and murdered several people while doing their mission.

    That part is easily ignored as he studies the changling before him. His mind whirls with questions and thoughts. Was he enthralled? Kept as a sworn servant for his abilities? Had he tricked or ingratiated his way into the council? Maybe he was a well placed agent of the cabinet? Could he tell that Kleris was just a persona and see the changeling beneath.

    The irony that the first Changeling he was meeting in the city may be the greatest risk to his persona and plans was not lost on him. It was especially worrying that he did not have his necklace right now. He examines the other Changeling intensely, looking for any scars or disfigurations however small. He casually starts to remove the bracers of his armor, letting his forearms out to help cool him down after the fighting and see the scratches and bruises he got from the fighting.

    He glances back to the others and has to hold himself from rolling his eyes and chiming in with a cutting remark about someone at his level being better at lying. He pauses for a second though as he thinks 'Do I even have my papers?'

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kleris will be examining the other Changeling for any signs of Skin Cant and will show on his forearms in Skin Cant
    Trusted? Don't Reveal Persona.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    "So are we just going to overlook that this guy is clearly lying?" With her arms still held she can't do a great job of pointing but nevertheless gestures at the colonel with a raised voice, insisting on attention. "Sure that seems fine. If lying with impunity is on the table it's good to get it out in the open now so there's no misconceptions for the upcoming conversations. Glad he could clarify that for me!" It's not hard to tell that she is more than a little bitter about her injuries, she's still hurting after all, but she throws a playful, clearly sarcastic smile on her face. She had her papers - for Kett Collier, not Kett Nailo, of course - with her, though she'd left her signet ring back on the ship for obvious reasons. Justifying herself with a few well-placed omitted truths wouldn't be too hard, and laying the groundwork for allowing such omitted truths...well that's just good business. Either they overlooked him and she gets an 'out', or they don't and he gets punished. Either way seemed like a win to her. Revealing her House connections in a place like this seemed unwise.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    There is a moment after Kett interjects that the assembled crowd is silent. More than a few faces are pointed at her, and the others are all watching the colonel, who just lets out a single chuckle.

    "Preposterous. Who among those gathered here would believe the word of an accused accomplice to murder over a decorated officer of House Deneith?" Colonel Therin's voice and posture are affected just enough to know that the line is directed at least partially at the gallery. He stands at just the right angle that the full breadth of his armoured pauldrons are directed at the judges, and the hilt of his weapon catches the light of day.

    Of the ten magistrates of Thronehold, none are willing to speak. That the man is lying is not really in question, yet not a single Tribunal representative presses the issue. Most of the group appear relatively unmoved at this development, but a visible wince crosses Berem Lann's face before disappearing.

    "So," drawls the Aundairan official into the pause that follows, "I see no reason not to follow Captain Jarus' suggestion and bring them to the Hall of Judgment. Unless anyone has any objections?"

    Spoiler: Kleris
    Show
    With your insider knowledge of Skin Cant, you are able to read the subtle markings of patterns on the other changeling's skin. A small faded scar that runs up the right forearm at a very specific angle says 'baseline body', while a birthmark just above the collarbone spells out the human variation of the changeling's name: Crick. Finally, the number of subtle silvery skin marks you see just below the surface of their face, neck, and shoulders tell you that they have at least six other active personas they are using.

    Finally, one more marking appears along the tops of the changeling’s palms. It reads: 'Trustworthy. Tribunal discrete. Name?'

    Spoiler: Raz
    Show
    Of the entire host gathered here, you are among those who notice that Kleris is paying inordinately close attention to the skin patterns of the other changeling.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-05 at 10:07 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Arimart smiles imperceptibly at Kett's display of bitterness, and replays dryly to the Aundarian question. "Fine by me."

    He looks at Berem, waiting for the magistrate to invite him in a more private conversation.
    Does this poster have a sign?

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon gives one final look over his ensemble and he’s hustled to the Tribunal. With all the blood and soot Prestidigtated away the tears in his uniform and healing gash on his forehead actually made him look rather dashing.

    Decorated Officer of House Deneith? Gryphon whispers to Raz. Do you think his medals are for his cowardice or posturing?

    Gryphon addresses the tribunal, We appreciate the opportunity to prove our lack of involvement in the tragic events of today. I’m sure I speak for all us when I say we’d be happy to submit to Zones of Truth to confirm our loyalty to both Thronehold and The Tribunal. He speak to the tribunal with as much earnestly as he can muster.

    He gestures almost reverently towards Colonel Therin with his right arm. I additionally appreciate the escort from the chaos of a battlefield to the Tribunal directly, Colonel. It must have been a monstrously onerous day for you Sir. Hearing of all the danger and excitement across the city while you were forced to stay tucked safely up on your wall. Then wishing so desperately to join a melee but being stymied time and again by diplomatic necessity and then mechanical failure. You have my deepest sympathy Colonel Therin. Gryphon gives the Colonel a look absolutely dripping with pity and then gives the Tribunal a bow, avoiding a gesture more melodramatic or pandering than a respectful bending at the waist.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-08-05 at 02:01 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris breaks off from his contemplation of the Changeling for a second to pipe up to the Aundarian official "Less of an objection and more of a note? I gave Nameless some items to help our mission. If I could get them back then I would appreciate that. The Necklace he is wearing mainly. That Halberd looked like it could use a home as well, He wanted me to have it I'm sure."

    After that he stretches once more and proceeds to start pulling off his greaves, pulling up his pant legs to check his calves for any injuries he may have sustained. There was nothing more then additional scrapes, bruises, and a small burn from the heat of the fire ball. He shrugs after looking at them for a bit, they were not bad enough to waste his last smidgeon of healing on.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Skin Cant: Persona Kleris. Traveler? Meet Later?
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  21. - Top - End - #351
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    On their way into the castle.

    Raz follows without defiance. As required, he hands over weapons and other items. He will be more hesitant to get rid of certain personal belongings, like his necklace. But so far, it does not seem required.

    Quote Originally Posted by CozJa View Post
    Before they enter the Castle escorted by the guards, Arimart speaks to Raz, noticing his reaction to Maugrim words.

    "I can see that the old man earned your respect. As for me, you earned mine, when this thing will finally be over, I would like to share some words with you."
    Raz humbly bows his head. "Thank you, Arimart. Well fought. Looking forward to the exchange." He quickly states, the last sentence implying that he has his own words to contribute.

    Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    As they’re being Frog-marched to the tribunal he calls out to Raz: Looks like neither of us need our burial wishes fulfilled today, parçonier*. Did that fireball hit you?
    "Thankfully, yes. I've been told I'm awful with fashion." A look at the shifter might say why: His clothes are not ugly per se, it's just clear that their purpose is to work, not to look good. "Couldn't see it in this unnatural storm before it was too late. Guess I was still lucky, could protect my face. Damn bruxo!" His voice is angry, as if he is somewhat angry at the whole nature of magic itself. "No offense though." He adds with an apologetic smirk.

    ((Bruxo = Goblin for "Mage"))

    Inside the castle.

    Raz stands silent and observes his surroundings, focusing on the different people, mostly those who talk and those who could, but decide not to. As Arimart exchanges heated arguments with the colonel, he tries to memorize Arimart's chain of arguments. Looking at how logical the arguments of the colonel are, having some to hold against them could become important very soon.

    As the colonel resorts to an open lie, Raz' feelings are mixed. On the bright side, the colonel has just openly agreed to Arimart, otherwise there would not have been a reason to open the gate in the first place. The openness of the lie however could only mean that the colonel believes to be untouchable, and who knows whether he might be?

    What's with all the bickering between the two anyway? A personal feud between the two? Maybe they know each other? Or is it because of Maugrim and his exlusion from heritage? Our more of a principal argument between the tribunal agents and the Deneith guard? Whatever it is, better not get between them... is any of that also the reason why he did not open the gate? Or was he ... involved in it all? Maybe he himself an agent of ....
    Gryphon's lowly speaken words find their way into Raz good ears. He can't but slightly smirk over the comment, hopefully a fact overseen by others present, at least he can supress his urge to chuckle. As he thinks of a clever continuation of the joke, the argument concludes, and Kett speaks openly points out the elephant in the room. You're right, of course. But saying it like this puts blame on all here at once. He thinks by himself, and he feels relief as noone feels sufficiently offended to just turn on them on the spot.

    He does not trust the Karrnathi woman, as her carefully selected words mark them as guilty unless proven innocent, which could mean that they have come up with very good false witnesses, or that she believes the process to follow an expected route. I need allies here, or it could all end quite badly... Arimart. Best stick to what he says, and stand by him. Let's hope that his friends here are really friends. Especially if this parasomething is a noble... They could try to make it a political thing... His thoughts slightly travel as his glance has caught Kleris. Clearly, Raz has no way of knowing what is going on but it seemed as if... Kleris and the changeling... Maybe they know each other? Might come up as important, but focus on the facts at hand.... Wait, what was that? Captain Jarus? Oh, you got to be kidding me. Without moving his head, his eyes run and forth few turns between Arimart and the Karrnathi magistrate. Arimart, my friend, be glad you can't read my mind right now...

    Again, he is torn from his thoughts as Kleris speaks up, suggesting that the old man's halberd should be given to him. Something in the way Kleris ends his sentence creates an aura of discomfort in the shifter. If he would leave the sentence standing as is, it would make them look as common criminals who are in it for the money. Which quite possibly might be true for some of us. Quick, say something.

    "... as we have taken care of his weapon before, and he was thankful for it." Only slightly better... But better not overstretch it. "And it won't bring him any good in court, I suppose."

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •