Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 351
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Arimart can see a lot of things happen after the elves ignore his question and prepare themselves to attack: as it became usual for the evening, Raz strikes from the shadow with swift and deadly precision, then Maugrim shows he may have lost his mind, but not his training. Then he sees Kett disappearing in the shadows, and appear somewhere else, understanding that the woman is indeed keeping some things for herself.

    As the elves strike back, Arimart is undecided on what to do next. At first he gives help to Maugrim, striking at the hound with the plate of his hammer, trying to force it away, then he is ready to attack the elf, when Gryphon's voice resound in the street, prompting him to change his target. The paladin looks around, and sees Raz, who doesn't look so well, being attacked by one of the elves wielding their strange double scimitars. Arimart runs between Maugrim and Kleris toward the elf, calling for the power of the Silver Flame, than strikes at the enemy with all his might.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-07-05 at 12:12 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    If there ever was a sign of triumph on the shifter's face, it is washed away by pain and the effort to not to let take over its senses, as the arrows pierce his armor with ease. To soon however, a new threat challenges his composure, as the whirling blades of the should-be-dead elf cut him down before he can evade them, leaving many shallow, but a few deep cuts in his flesh. Raz feels his consciousness fading quickly as his life force is pouring out. Not yet, brother. Not yet! He melds his form with that of the lynx, covering his body in blood soaked fur, wincing and hissing in the pain and the satisfaction that the transformation bring with it equally. And yet -- he is trapped, dodging the biting blades, and thoughts rushing through his head. The unwieldy longbow would not stand in a fight against the twin blades... Flight is not an option. Maybe his opponent could be diverted and one's own blade be drawn? But how do you divert such a well-trained warrior? Then, suddenly, the situation changes as Arimart's hammer crushes the elf with divine might. Without many times for words, Raz just gives his savior an appreciating and encouraging growl, as he seeks cover to only have one of the archers against him, and retaliate for their vicious previous attacks.

    Spoiler: OOC Actions
    Show
    Bonus Action - Shift, moving, and then two attacks. Longbow is +8, damage is 1d8+3+4 including favored enemy. No Hunter's Mark, as it fizzled after the attacks. Raz is at 6 HP and 7 temporary. No one can make attack rolls with advantage against him.

    Att1 - Att1 - (1d20+8)[15] for Dmg1 - (1d8+7)[12]
    Att2 - Att2 - (1d20+8)[25] for Dmg2 - (1d8+7)[13]

    Spoiler: Crit Damage
    Show

    If required:
    Crit1Base - (1d8)[3]
    Crit2Base - (1d8)[5]



  3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    The evening's melee proceeds apace as your own retaliations to your aggressors prove to be effective. Kett manages to pin down the northernmost archer of the elven band, while Arimart positions himself to bring his hammer down on the dog currently mauling at Maugrim before going to save Raz. At the same time, Gryphon makes his arcane power known by compelling one of the blade-wielders to follow his inventive instruction. Kleris is able to dispatch a threat, the vengeance-seeker calling on dark energies to snuff out the elfhound while the shifter once more taps into his more bestial side to stay on his feet and start resuming his volley against the Valaes Tairn. Watching these developments unfold, the old man with the halberd raises his weapon in a triumphant shout. "That's it lads! We'll beat the brutes back and win this battle yet."

    And yet for all that, it is not beasts or men you fight, but the champions of Valenar, who know the ways of magic, bow and sword in equal measure. So it is with some dismay that you pick up an easy exchange between two of the elves.

    "Cín peng na- faultui. Im am na tul- ha na Valenar an cin," says the warrior with the scimitar as he turns to walk towards the otherwise unencumbered marksman. Eyes narrow behind the veil and then there comes a hurried response. "Verui eithel; im baur cín magol, sui im am na cost in cín near." A quick nod and a handoff later, the former swordsman is taking off down the street bow in hand, and the elf at the back of their group now has a shiny new toy to play with. You can feel, rather than see, the grin that appears behind those ruddy silks.

    That's when the two remaining elves resume their offensive. The last remaining bowman is the first to spring into action, having recovered from your monk's blow and slipping past her guard to loose two more arrows into the fray. Their target is hardly surprising, and by the time they're done Raz lies bleeding and unresponsive in the dirt. Yet even that development pales in threat to what comes next: the route to their apparent target clear for the first time, the newly minted bladebearer rushes right in for Maugrim. The dragonmarked commander raises his halberd up and what happens next is nothing less than a dance of steel that sees both combatants bloody at its conclusion. Unfortunately, the old man has more than met his match as a warrior and by exchange's end he sports an impressive number of open wounds that promise to send him to the Keeper.

    Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

    Well you guys have managed to thin their herd quite a bit. The dog and one of the melee fighters is dead, and the other one is taking off for the next 8 hours (hooray for potentially recurring villainy!), but the other two elves are not too much the worse for wear. Raz has taken in excess of his 13 remaining hit points and is now unconscious and dying. On his turn, he'll need to start making death saves assuming that nobody stabilizes him before then.

    Just as pressingly, Maugrim got hit three times and took 34 damage, putting him down into near single digit range. He is now officially barely on his feet.

    Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    The first sentence is "Your bow is broken. I am to take it to Valenar to be fixed", and the resulting reply is "Very well; I will need your sword, if I am to fight in your place."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-07-04 at 03:18 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Arimart strikes down the elf, but his satisfaction doesn't last: As he's answering to Raz, an arrow brings him down in front of his eyes, and at the same time the other elf attacks Maugrim, hurting him grievously.

    The paladin is conflicted on his next course of action, but duty steps in. He glances at Gryphon, thinking... Hoping he can save Raz... After all, the fellow Khoravar proved to be quite crafty. "Please, try to keep him alive!" he says, then runs toward Maugrim, intending to place himself beside the old veteran, ready to strike and their enemy. As he reaches Maugrim, Arimart whispers a brief prayer "Flame guide the hand of the righteous, fool that of the wicked. As he finishes, a Silver aura covers Maugrim. Nothing seems to have changed for Arimart and his companions, but the elves now see an ever moving silvery feature of a man where Maugrim is, making it difficult to strike true against the Deneith excoriate.
    When in place, Arimart attacks the Elf, speaking to Maugrim at the same time.
    "Sir Maugrim, you need healing! Second pocket down on the right side of my vest. They won't be able to strike you if you don't retaliate."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Arimart moves in position, uses his bonus action to cast sanctuary on Maugrim, attacks the elf and prompts Maugrim to take his potion of greater healing and use it.

    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-07-04 at 08:45 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kett flounders for a moment as the archer moves away from her. Any retaliation she was expecting doesn't come for her, but Raz. She sees him drop and involuntarily grits her teeth in anger. "Ah, hey!" A vague shout, and not particularly her best moment, but hopefully lost in the fight. She takes a moment to centre herself - the world closes off, as darkness blocks all from her sight save her target. Energy tenses in her hands and feet once more, the glow returning as she snaps back into reality and reality expands once more. A single push of her foot crosses the ten foot gap between her and the archer. She doesn't feel the air as she passes through it. Her hair barely moves an inch from the sudden shift.

    Her glowing palms grasp the archer's shoulders from behind, releasing their energy into him with yet another bursting thwoom as she pushes off the ground into a hand stand atop the man. It's barely a moment for her to twist above him, spinning herself fully round such that she's facing him when she drops to his front. With her hands still gripping his shoulders she pulls herself forward, delivering a two-footed kick directly to his chest, before rolling back to block his path. If she gets in his face, maybe she can stop him from trying to finish off Raz.


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Attack: (1d20+7)[19]+(1d4)[1] (Bless). Damage: (1d6+4)[9] + Stunning Strike (DC14 CON save)
    Extra Attack: (1d20+7)[21]+(1d4)[4] (Bless). Damage: (1d6+4)[9] + Stunning Strike (DC14 CON save)
    Martial Arts: (1d20+7)[10]+(1d4)[2] (Bless). Damage: (1d6+4)[6] + Stunning Strike (DC14 CON save)

    As before, she'll burn Ki as much as needed to land a stun that sticks, so potentially up to three which would drain the last of her reserves for now. Or potentially zero if she wiffs literally every attack, but with a minimum modifier of 8 and potentially up to 11 she's gotta hit at least once, right?

    Also if a stun *does* stick before her attacks are done then she'll have advantage on any subsequent attacks.

    To be clear, darkness closing and the the flip over his head is fluff. Mechanically Kett just moved in front of the guy and (tried to) hit him three times.

    Also the downside of these super cool sounding martial arts moves is that if I flub the attack rolls Kett looks really silly.

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon watches as a final arrow sinks into Raz and the shifter crumbles to the floor unconscious.

    F***

    He reaches back to the Bag of Holding slung across his back and digs in it for a moment before producing a pint sized glass bottle filled with thick brown liquid. He squints at the label for a moment before nodding his head and biting the cork out.

    He takes a brief knee near the Ranger and, propping his mouth somewhat open with his dagger-hand, pours the contents of the bottle down his throat.

    The sluggish brown liqueur tasks like orange peel, gentian, and anise. It’s bitter astringency flows into the shifter and almost immediately it pulls him back to consciousness.

    That should help. Gryphon declares to the shifter as he stands back up and gets his back to the wall.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Healing Potion: (2d4+2)[8]
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-07-04 at 06:35 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    First, the pain, then certainty, darkness, and the well known arome of druid's nectar as they used to call it. Raz finds himself on the floor, and it takes a short moment until his instincts kick in again, as he listens to Gryphon's words. Hearing the clashing of blades, he understands that it is however not over and he pushes up his aching body from the ground, reaching for his bow on the way. Sending his right over his shoulder to grab further arrows, he winces under the pain the usually fluid movement sends to his nervous system. He resists the urge to use some of his magical resources to heal the pain and decides to send it towards the enemy instead. He casts a spell briefly, marking the sword wielding elf as his new prey, and sends two arrows quickly to fulfill the promise. He doesn't even stay to see how well his arrows hit, as he retreats further along the wall, sincerely hoping that the other archer would be locked down by Kett.
    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    stand up, costs 15ft movement, cast hunters mark as bonus, fire two arrows, move two squares north and one right.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    see discord

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris eyes Raz from the side, he seemed to be up and moving so he turns his attention to Maughin. The elven fighter looked pretty weakened and needed to be finished before he attacked the elder man.

    He moved northeast 5 feet and then 10 feet east. He calls on the power of his patron again, creating two balls of energy. "Vengance shall be mine.

    The first shot goes at the back of the elven fighter then if he goes down the next will be at the archer Kett is fighting.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    First attack (1d20+7)[27] and bless bonus is (1d4)[2] with the damage (1d10+4)[11]
    Second attack (1d20+7)[10] and bless bonus is (1d4)[1] with the damage (1d10+4)[13]
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As the Valaes Tairn are still on the offensive and Maugrim remains in immediate danger, you take to the field to recover your position. Arimart and Kett charge forward in nearly the same instant, jurist and martial artist both standing tall before your foes. With a murmured prayer, the knight-prosecutor conjures a strange field of translucent half-light around the wounded commander at his side and brings his hammer down twice on the nearest elf. One hit connects with bone with a solid fleshy thump, but by the time he brings the weapon around for a back-swing, the warrior from Valenar is ready and twirls his double-scimitar into the right place, parrying the stroke completely. Meanwhile, Kett keeps the other war party's last remaining archer busy by stepping right in front of him and launching a devastating barrage of expertly placed fists and kicks that nearly send her bow tumbling out of her hands. In the side street, Gryphon kneels beside his fallen comrade and puts a healing potion to good use, and before long Raz's eyes open once more.

    With the ground now cleared for one more push, the final two members of your group take action. The shifter, now returned to consciousness, drags his blood-matted torso back up to a standing position, painstakingly notches two arrows and releases them in quick succession. Both missiles tear through the blade wielding elf, sending him down to one knee and retching in pain. And yet he begins to struggle to stand... until Kleris makes his move. A roiling orb of rueful force streaks out from his hand, ripping through his enemy just above the sternum and tearing a fist-sized hole in the elf's chest. Smoke emanates from partially cauterized flesh, but it is clearly a mortal wound. When he falls, he does so without a sound.

    Seeing the lay of the land before her, the last of the rival war band takes a careful evasion away from Kett and stands still for a moment. Then, slowly and with great care, she puts her bow down on the ground in front of her and does the same for the curved sword at her hip. She calls out in the same accented voice you heard down underground. "Enough. I can see that the Valaes Tairn have met their match today." She spreads her arms to indicate the bloodshed at your feet. "My surrender I offer you, a recognition of your worth on the field, and some spoils of war besides, yet I would shame my ancestors if I did not try to bargain for the bodies of my own and heirlooms returned to Taer Valaestas."

    Unfortunately, Maugrim seems to be unwilling to hear any of it. "There can be no truce," he spits, "with the enemy. The Karrnathi would kill my love, extinguish her from this earth, and for that I will brook no accord." Brandishing his halberd, he begins to walk towards the now unarmed elven warrior, his purpose painfully clear.

    Spoiler: End of Combat
    Show
    With the surrender of the last combatant, the combat is officially over! You no loner need to post in round order, even though technically I am doing 'actions' for Maugrim. Feel free to intervene (or not) however you choose! I'm excited to see where this little plot thread goes.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-07-04 at 06:45 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon maintains concentration on his Suggestion. The elf had been running for less than a minute Let him run for 3 or 4 hours before he’s allowed to control his own thoughts. Maybe he’ll think twice before trying to stab me in a gods forsaken sewer next time.

    The surrendering elf was another matter, however. If you built a reputation for killing people that surrendered to you then soon everyone just start fighting you to the death. A complete waste of resources. Gryphon thought to himself.

    If I might speak freely, Commander, Intelligence can pull information out of her if we leave her alive. I know the Karnathi are immeasurably dangerous Sir but the information she has could save many lives.


    As an aside to Arimart and the rest of the party, minus Maugrim, I’ve got a safe house a few blocks from here we can keep the Old Man overnight. We can’t exactly bring him to the Tribunal at 2 in the morning. It’s discrete and well guarded.

    When Gryphon makes his suggestion to the party Spritz raising out from under the Keffiyeh, turns and stares directly at Gryphon.

    No! You wouldn’t! DO NOT bring that human there. Is nothing sacred to you?

    Ignoring his serpentine friend, Gryphon readjusts his scarf to cover his aghast familiar.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-07-04 at 09:05 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As the last elven warrior offers her surrender, Arimart leaves his fighting stance and answers accordingly "Enough bloodshed for this evening, I..." as he speaks, Maugrim launches himself against the elf, still seeing enemies of his past battles. Quite tired of the situation and the sustained deceiving, the paladin resolves to use different means to stop him, and whispers a prayer, while waving his left hand at the Deneith excoriate "Rest your weary soul in the halls of Flamekeep"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Casting Sleep, affecting 16 HP, it should be enough, considering nobody healed Maugrim!


    He turns to Gryphon, nodding at his suggestion, then speaks again to the elf.

    "As I was saying, I accept your surrender. My only question is to know why you were here to attack this man."
    Does this poster have a sign?

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    "He accepts your surrender." Kett interjects, scooping up the bow and strapping it across her chest. She slides across to block the former-archer from Arimart before he can answer. "Right now I'm not seeing the worth in leaving you alive to jump us tomorrow, or the day after that, or the day after that. Maybe next time you decide you want to give us a little less notice, now that you've declared yourselves to us once already. I don't want to wake up to an arrow in the neck. Maybe your honour allows that. Wouldn't be the first time. You want to bargain for the bodies and 'heirlooms'?" She leans forward, one hand on her slender hip, her face set in a glare. Their softness would get them killed. "Quap'san. On top of the information that one wants," she jerks her thumb back at Arimart before holding up her hand and counting up three fingers in sequence - "you're going to give us three things - Your honourable word to not attack us again, your honourable word that you'll attempt to stop any of your fellows doing the same," Kett pauses. The other two were less important, but the third was what she was actually after.

    "And you owe us a favour, or a debt if you like, to be claimed at a later date." Just how far she could stretch the favour was a concern for a later date, but it could mean valuable backup, or a more valuable meeting, if called at the right time.


    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show

    "So, bargain."

    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As Arimart's next spell takes hold, Maugrim's pace slows and then stops, the man faltering under the soft weight of the enchantment. He tumbles to the ground in a clatter of armor, dark metal halberd dropped at his side. His murmuring is barely audible as he falls headlong into the embrace of sleep. "Must protect... Alisanne..." He says nothing else besides, the only noise he makes thereafter is a series of faint snores.

    The elf's posture betrays no relief at being saved from summary execution, though she does incline her head in the direction of those who address her. When Kett takes her bow, you see the lines around her eyes tighten visibly, but she does not see fit to interrupt the woman's list of demands. Instead, she watches and listens without blinking once, replying only when it is clear that it is her turn to speak.

    "A secret, a debt, and a promise," she muses into the expectant silence that follows. "The first two I will offer in exchange for the bodies of my fallen dead and their weapons, though I will see glory-gilt paid fairly to you as victors. The third I give freely, though I cannot speak for others of my line. I, Tairil nas-iel Jennaris, swear on my blood that I will not pursue any grievance on the six of you, and will take action to prevent my kin from doing the same."

    The elven warrior holds out a hand somewhat hesitatingly towards your group. "I understand that in these cities you clasp hands to signify that a compact has been made. Will you agree to my price?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-07-05 at 06:46 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As the the warrior called Tairil answers directly to her elven opponent, and to them all, Arimart, who is still not near to Tairil as Kett is, extends his right handwith his palm up, glances at the two women, then focuses his gaze on Kett.

    "Your bargain, your choice"
    Does this poster have a sign?

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kett leans in on the elf, ignoring her hand for a moment, putting their faces inches apart as the fistfighter scrutinises the elf's eyes for any hints of...anything else. "Well Tairil, I'm Kett Collier." She pulls back after saying this and for a moment goes to extend her hand, then thinks better of it. "I look forward to working with you in the future." Her smile is insincere, and a little bit teasing, but she tugs the bow over her head and clasps it into the elf's hand, having the shaft form the centre of their handshake. When Kett's hand pulls away she leaves the bow behind in the archer's grip. She half turns to the rest of the group, stepping aside to 'allow' Tairil back into the full conversation while still keeping half an eye on the archer.

    "Sleepy's not going to be out for much longer, we'll have to clean this quick - I'll help our new friend recover the bodies."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    As the proverbial smoke clears, Raz comes out of his hiding. While the healing potion has sealed most of his wounds shut, he still looks very badly hurt, two arrows still sticking in his body, bobbing with every step. Gritting his teeth (both literally and figuratively), he approaches the scene of negotiation. As the first handshakes are extended, he steps to Maugrim, who lies there, face in the dirt and sleeping like a baby. Raz slightly shakes his head, as he allows his thoughts to wander for just a moment, imagining what long life the man had lived, and the scars it must have left. He mutters a few words, and ever so slightly touches the old warrior's shoulders, transfering some of nature's nurturing life force into the elder. Raz knows well that it would not save him from many further threats, but his resources are limited. With a wince, he squats down to pick up the polearm, a weapon way to unwieldy for him, but who knows what Maugrim would do when he wakes up. He then walks up to the elven woman, thinking for a moment, but then shrugs and also offers his bloodsoaked hand to shake, and to seal the peace offering.

    He then approaches Gryphon, reaching under his cloak and revealing two small potion flasks. "I owe you my life. Hope I never need to repay the favor. But I can compensate." He gives one the flasks to Gryphon, with a somewhat crooked smile. "If you excuse me for a sec." he says uncorking the second flask and subsequently leaning first the polearm, then his own back against a house wall. He puts the flasks opening between his lips, puts a hand each around the remaining arrow shafts, and then, with a growl plucks off the two arrows and downs the potion by pulling back his head. Sinking down to the floor, he sits for a moment, eyes closed.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I cast Cure Wounds with my last 1st level slot: HPforMaugrim - (1d8+3)[10]
    I down a potion (2d4+2)[5]

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris watches the blackmail of the elf with a smile and a shake of the head, 'Watch that one closely, she is truly more dangerous then she seems. Those moves, those connections, and she is building connections.'

    'That is not necessarily a bad thing, this group of souls is new and fragile in its connection but if it grows stronger and deeper then it could be a wonderful thing. This Kett would have much to offer as an ally.'

    He approaches the growing gathering, and says in elvish "Good luck, you'll need it with us."

    He nods to the sleeping old man, "Unless the place we can drop off this guy off at is around the corner I think we need a place to rest and heal. Raz looks half dead and I don't know about the rest of you but i'm running on fumes for magic here. We could just tell the guy that this Alisanne, or whoever he has been muttering about, is at risk from us being out and about on the streets. Hopefully Tairil can clear the air now that the arrows aren't as to why they wanted the old man dead?"
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    It is good to see you standing again Mr. Raz. If you’re worried about paying a debt then I certainly have work available that only a Ranger of your level of skill could handle. There’s lucrative compensation for it as well; if you’re available after this work with Maugrim is over.

    Gryphon waits patiently for the elf to explain why her group wanted the old man dead. He didn’t care what her motives were, getting Nameless to the Tribunal was just a means to an end; his compatriots seemed to care however and acting impatient wasn’t the proper move for Gryphon to make.

    My safehouse is close; it would be no more than just a few minutes for us get there. It would be safer for us to rest there rather than trying to rest here and then traveling to it. There’s room for all of us. Gryphon responds to Kleris comment. He holds his hand over his scarf covering Spritz to prevent further carping from his indignant familiar.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-07-06 at 01:11 AM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Tairil accepts the returned bow as the gesture that it is, giving your whole group a small nod of obvious thanks. She collects her sword and working to haul the bodies out of the street. Ironically, you come to the realization that the same sewers that Gryphon declared too dirty to fight and die in are the best place to store the two dead Valaes Tairn fighters, at least until Tairil can return to the scene with more manpower in order to bring them back home from the city. Thankfully, there are only three corpses to drag. The surviving elf asks if anyone in your group has magic to clean up the blood and viscera that lies strewn on the stone in the wake of your grisly task, while going through the pockets of her brethren to produce a few pouches of coin and what look to be a number of flasks. She also produces a beautifully carved ivory brooch in the form of a stylized shield, as well as a small bag with a pleasant aroma.

    Sometime in the middle of this whole process, Maugrim shakes himself awake. "What... what's happening..." he lets out a groan and a curse as he makes his way painstakingly up to his feet. "Lieutenant, sergeant, report," he says groggily. He looks about for his halberd, finding it in Raz's hands. "That is my weapon, soldier! If you don't like the sound of suicide drills, you'll return it at once."

    "Gwanur, what happened to this one?" Tairil asks quietly. "He does not live in the present, does he?" Staying as clear of the old man as she can for now, the elf from Valenar turns to Arimart to finally answer the questions asked of her.

    "He is right on one score, at least: we were paid by a half-elf from Karrnath by the name of Jarus. She had heard a rumor that Maugrim Nameless was returning to the city and was going to make some sort of public spectacle in the Karrnathi Zone sometime this morning, so she hired us to find out his location and put him down quietly before it could occur. I do not know any more than that."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The 'glory-gilt' here is essentially loot that Tairil is allowing you to take from the bodies. Of the gift she gives to the party, you find 16 pp, 41 gp, and 27 sp in assorted coin from mercenary work, as well as four potions, a brooch, and a little pouch. The first two are Potions of Healing, the second is a Potion of Superior Healing, and the third and final potion is a Potion of Climbing. Finally, there is a Brooch of Shielding and a Heward's Handy Spice Pouch.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-07-06 at 05:57 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    Having read the elf's lips on her report to Arimart, Raz holds on to the polearm, and answers loudly, hoping that anyone else stepped in with a specific idea on how to defuse the situation. He speaks in the tone of a dutiful soldier.

    "But, Sire, you specifically asked me to hold on to and take care of it so it shall be ready for your most important endeavor, as you discuss the last steps thereof with Sire Arimart, requiring a sharp mind not a sharp blade. My order was to clean it of all Karrnath'an dirt and polish the metal, until..." He looks down as if in shame. well... Until I can see my own likewise lazy and hairy behind glancing back at me, or it shall bite me in said lazy and hair body part come morning."

    Spoiler: OOC Rolls
    Show
    Alright, here goes... Deception - (1d20+4)[23]

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    While helping carry the bodies down to the sewer, Kett makes sure to bind the iron gate that they had (loudly) unlocked with a portion of cut-off rope from her pack. Easily passed for any intelligent creature with a half-knowledge of knots or a blade, but it would hopefully deter the sewer monster from getting to the bodies while they were kept there.

    She's not aware of the name Jarrus and actively chooses to give the matter no further thought. He's almost certainly irrelevant to her goals. "Now that he's...with 'his squad'...any planned spectacle probably won't go ahead...but he could still make a scene at 'the barracks'. If his enemies want to stop that, can only guess he'll stay a target. Safehoue first though, yeah?" She offers casually without looking at anyone while seeing if the brooch suits her - it doesn't, she decides, having tried to pin it in a number of spots on her clothes but finding none 'work'. A bit bright for her style. She tosses it to Arimart for his perusal, a symbolic gesture of passing the conversation to him.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CozJa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    As Tairil explains her involvement in this situation, Arimart nods, swiftly changing expression as Jarrus name is spoken, then keeps listening, in the end thanking the elven warrior: "Hanna'tyet, but there's still one thing I'm not sure about: were you expecting us or somebody else?"

    After Tairil answers, he turns to Raz and Maugrim, trying his best to keep the Shifter charade.
    "Aye commander! As for your request, the halberd will be taken care of once we reach Sir Gryphon's safehouse. We are ready to depart at your orders!"

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Deception (don't know if it's needed, just in case) (1d20+3)[5]
    Perception (to notice Raz strange way of uttering his last phrase) (1d20+4)[9]


    Spoiler: Elvish
    Show

    Thank you
    Does this poster have a sign?

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon goes over the scene of the battle with a fine toothed comb, casting Prestidigitation over and over to get all traces of blood from the back alley. It wasn’t exactly a glamorous use of his magic but it beat hauling the bodies back into the sewer.

    While all the work is going on he keeps an eye on the treasure they were paid for the elf’s life and begins calculating costs for new spell scrolls he plans on purchasing.

    He gets ready to usher everyone to the “Safehouse” but before he starts giving directions and laying down a couple of guidelines he pauses. He’d like to know what other sort of trouble the elves were expecting as well.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris sees Gryphon cleansing the streets of all evidence of their blood and helps out a bit, cleaning a bit around him before the other half elf gets there. Then he cleans himself off, cleansing the nasty sewer smells and spatters from their treck below. He then offers the cleansing cantrip to the others. "Better then reeking of sewage and blood, professional courtesy before we go to another mans safehouse. Its just rude to leave it a mess before they have to burn it to the ground since randoms have seen it."

    He nods to the various gear that the elf had passed around "Well we just met some people that could unload those for a good price, pay for Arimart to get his helm back. Wouldn't mind some gold if that's on the table though."

    He doesn't reach to take anything but he eyes the potion of climbing with interest before heading off to follow Gryphon to the safe house.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon breathes a sigh of relief when he sees Kleris clean everyone off with magic and does the same to himself after he gets the area clean.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    "I... I did?" The former war leader's brows furrow thunderously and he leans forward, as though ready to menace the shifter for a second time. But a heartbeat later, Maugrim's watery eyes lose their focus; his will to see the question answered has already been engulfed by oblivion's fog.

    "Of course I did! That's some fine initiative, soldier. We mustn't forget that the real fight is still in front of us. No need to waste any more time on the enemy's scouts, when we've sent them running from the field! Onward, to our final safe position. The host from the east won't know what hit them." When he smiles, you get the barest glimpse of an old beast baring its teeth, and suddenly it is not so surprising that Maugrim d'Deneith once successfully led hosts of men into war.

    Tairil, herself in the middle of wrapping the two double-scimitars in cloth and strapping them awkwardly to her shoulders, continues to stay away from your charge as she addresses the final inquiry that Arimart has posed. "We were guided to a woman by the docks who warned of potential interference from the smugglers who brought him into the city, but of a third party we heard nothing. Your scout nearly took us by surprise."

    She gives no indication of a physical response, the words coming out of her nearly automatically ever since she agreed to provide answers. To her, the information is simply another part of the transaction. "Though I should not be surprised to learn that your kind turn on and betray each other - edain," she says and not kindly, "we might have done better making no deals at all. Already I regret coming to this place, but I will stay in the port of thrones until it is time to honor our compact."

    With the belongings of her brethren collected, the warrior from Valenar looks to each of you, even Maugrim. "The blood of Jennaris will not forget this night," she says from behind her veil - which remains blood-spattered, as she has adamantly refused any offer to clean her garments. "Ni ú-eru nin ber; I will not forget what has been paid, and what is still owed." And then she is gone, stealing out of the ring of torchlight.

    Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    'Edain' means 'humans'.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-07-06 at 04:23 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    "Asahanya! Pan Elda úoio vartandil!" She calls after the retreating elf sarcastically. Her clean tones show her to be extremely fluent and natural at speaking the tongue. She switches back in a moment as she lowers her voice. "Spirits, you'd think we attacked them . Sore loser."

    "So, battle done, bargain made, battlefield cleaned. Safe house?"

    Spoiler: Elven
    Show

    "Of course! Because elves never betray friends"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Red Hand of Doom IC | OOC
    Playing:
    Tales of Neutral Ground IC | OOC
    The Madness of Men in a World of Monsters IC | OOC

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GameOfChampions's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Canada

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Kleris shrugs, he hadn't been overly offended by the elf. She wasn't much worse then others he had dealt with, and he hadn't been touched in the fight. He calls out in elvish"If your looking for information or work then look me up, Kleris. I can probably be found around the Speckled Hen inn."

    He looks to the others and shrugs "Couldn't hurt. Either way I'm good to go."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

    “Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear


  29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2018

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Raz

    Relieved to see that his bluff went through and the elf leaving, he takes a quick look around, picking up arrows from the ground. Ground's cleaner than before, I suppose... He approaches the wizard, responding lowly to his previous question. "Let us talk about this once this here is all finished. I am not making blind promises, but a man got to eat." He then addresses the whole group, his voice still slightly distorted, maybe due to an injury not yet treated:

    "Alright, Mr. Gryphon, you lead the way? I can guard the rear for a change. I will shroud us and cover our tracks, my magical resources will be depleted thereafter." He grins. "Might reduce the probability for someone to pick a fight, though."

    He produces a thin twig and a handful of ashes from his pouch, throwing it lightly into the air, while chanting lowly a few syllables. The components vanish before touching the ground, grow into shadows, and as the group wanders off, no tracks are left behind.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-07-06 at 04:46 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    (Un)Inspired's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

    Gryphon makes a mental note to tack an extra hour on to the running elf’s runtime. If she thinks she can threaten us after we spared her life then her friend can just go ahead and keep running. Hope he’s got a hardy constitution. I’d hate to hear that some elf ran himself to death out in the wilderness.

    He shakes his head with mild annoyance as the elf slips into the night. Ungrateful.

    He turns to his companions and the Old Man.
    This safehouse is in a fairly mundane neighborhood. It’s right next to a bazaar and in the middle of some newly build residences. Prosecutor Kaessel has been there before and while adventurers aren’t unheard of in the area I would appreciate any attempts we can make to get violence out of the neighborhood.

    If we run into the Landlord you will refer to her as Madam Mebsa. She’s a very powerful, respected and even dangerous woman in this town and I have worked hard to stay in her good graces. If you have any desire to continue feeling welcome in the Port district I recommend that you extend her every possible courtesy.

    This safehouse is also my place of work from which I extend my magical services to the people of Throneport. As my guests you are welcome to make yourself and as comfortable as you like. I have food, alcohol, coffee, and bedding enough for all of us but I will leave you with this one warning:

    I am a wizard and an alchemist. Many of the tools I work with a deeply dangerous to both the humanoid body and mind. Many of the drawers in my safehouse have been trapped with Glyph of Warding spells and will erupt with quite potent Lightning if opened by anyone other than myself. Please, for your own safety and to prevent me loosing my security deposit, stifle any curious urges for exploration you make feel in my domicile.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •