New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Inn to Business

Kleris sips his wine, smiling afterwards as he puts down the cup to be left untouched for the rest of the negotiations. "Well that is a bold price to open with, especially for a rental. I don't mind renting over buying but considering that there were several men and warforged that died in the inn recently, including the former manager, the price should clearly reflect the downswing in business it will see. I believe 575gp a month would represent the price more fairly, especially if you are going to make me pay for the staff and insurance of the price. As well as what I assume will be expensive repairs.

Now if that is all you want out of this deal we can leave it at that. However you don't seem to be a man lacking in gold. You seem like the kind of man who would place more emphasis on... intangible wealth at this stage in your career.

I have a vision, for the new Jhorys Reprieve. A place linked to the underworld it is already so clearly falling prey to. A safe haven for those who move in the night to come and exchange information, make connections, move merchandise. A web moving out to the various factions and gangs of the cities and trading in the most valuable commodity. Information. With us at the center making the web dance and move to our benefit.

My people and I have already made links to the Midnighters and the Daughters. I have an inn with a mid level Law Enforcement representative and am working on making an in with someone on the council. I imagine you have your own associates who could benefit from this. Information and contacts would flow through the inn and into your pocket to be dolled out at will.

I'm wiling to put the work into this with your aid but I don't want to be treated like a dirty little money grubber for you to boss around as you see fit. If we go this route I would want to be partners in this venture."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

As he sits and drink with Berem, Arimart ponders the situation, considering his next course of action.
    "Well, I'm not so eager to prosecute the old man, especially considering what happened today... I believe that waiting for a healer may give us an official reason to buy some more time. I'll speak with Imra about her Talentan contacts. And I think I'll have to thank Nyctessa for ther assistance too, and maybe this will be a good enough reason to discuss the case."

While drinking, he considers his friend's words on his limited vision...

"About our contacts... You know what I was thinking? I despise Drooam as any good Brelish should, but sir Gryphon's proposal, as mad as it sounds, may have some merit. I'm thinking about him and the others joining me in some kind of... well, let's call it 'tiral period' to see if we can build a task force that can really act outside of normal boundaries, especially those made by house Deneith... What do you think about it?"
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

When he finally returns from his last trip to the market, with his new scroll of Sending and several bags of reagents for spell experimentation, Gryphon begins his evening by setting Spritz up with the rabbit his familiar so richly deserved.

Once his familiar was able to begin enjoying his treat, gryphon cleared off the main table in his apartment, gulped down some food from his pantry and set about planning his evening. If he was going to meet the rest of the group at noon, he could reasonably work till 3 in the morning and still get enough sleep to useful the next day. He knew the most important spell to work on was invariably going to be Sending. Being able to contact his Grandmothers directly, rather than relying on reports sent through the mail, meant the difference of several weeks between communications.

After multiple hours of painstakingly transcribing the scroll into his spellbook, Gryphon stood up, stretched and cracked his back. He still had 5 hours of work to get through before we was going to be able to call it a night. The young magician traipsed over to the kitchen with Roland’s book in hand as he filled his stomach with enough fuel to last him the night as he picked out which spells would make the best immediate addition to his collection.

After some reflection Gryphon spends the remained of his evening practicing and writing out the Hold Person and Animate Dead spells before he allows himself to break for the evening. Rubbing his eyes with exhaustion, Gryphon flops in not his bed to catch as much sleep as possible before he had to be up to here whatever his team had planned with the Speckled Hen.

His last conscious act, before sleep takes him, is to close blinds on his bedroom windows so that the early morning sun doesn’t wake him up.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Inn to Business

The smile grows sharper. "Jhory's Reprieve? That was the name of the previous renter, if memory serves. A passionate man, but not a great head for numbers. He always paid on time, impeccably."

As you outline your plans for the inn, Pfennigan does not quite manage to conceal his interest; it's visible in the set of his shoulders, the quickening of his breath and the practiced too-calm gaze. He gulps down the last of his drink with abandon. "Well, your terms are mostly acceptable to me. I will lower my rent to... shall we call it 600? In exchange, you will provide me and my people with full access to your cabal. As long as you can guarantee protection from prosecution, we will trade intelligence with other parties. In any situation where ante or collateral is required, Pfennigan's Phantasmagorium will be first in, and last out. Those are my terms."

Snapping his fingers, two pieces of paper appear in his hands and he slides one across the cloven crystal to you. The crisp, clean lines of handwriting presented are a fairly standard renter's agreement for the waterfront property, with Pfennigan's name as the property owner of record. "Two copies of our contract, one for each of us. You can fill in 600 galifars under the monthly dues. I trust that we have a deal?"

Stone Cold Law

The Thronehold judge swirls the amber liquid at rest at the bottom of his tumbler, gaze betraying nothing. Lann's eyes only tighten when you mention Gryphon and his proposal, and when he lets out the deep sigh of a man at the end of a long day, it's with a bit more force than necessary.

"The agent from Droaam is dangerous and more canny than I assumed at first. Sir Gryphon Kellson... a gifted wizard, and more than good enough to persuade the rest to give Droaam a seat at the table, if we’re not careful. I have a meeting with some of the more vested powers tomorrow to see what can be done about that particular problem."

Leaning over suddenly, Lann makes eye contact with you and holds your gaze. "We will see to it that Nameless is restored to his full faculties before he stands trial, I promise. Justice will be done, and the truth will be uncovered. As to your idea... I admit, I'm not too keen on it. These are some shady characters you've put together, Kaessel. Besides Kellson, I am near certain after those interviews that Ostren and Collier are in deep with rogue and illicit elements. That said, if you think it will result in valuable intelligence, I trust your instincts."

As you two finish your drinks, Berem shakes your hand warmly but firmly. Standing up, he is slightly shorter than you are, but the man has always had a presence to him; it’s what landed him in his position in the first place. "Be careful, Arimart," he says in lieu of a goodbye, "that your responsibilities do not get muddied by their agendas."

Long Awaited Meeting

When dawn comes for Throneport, it finds you all recovering from your experiences. The conflict that began in the Speckled Hen, the hunt for Nameless down in the city's sewers, striking deals with smugglers and crossing blades with Valaes Tairn mercenaries. And of course, the entire affair culminated in the frantic chase through the city's zones after the attack on Wolf's Rest, which led to a full Tribunal deposition. Now, in the aftermath of hands shaken and deals struck, you all meet at the same inn where it all started.

The floors of the inn by the docks - which has taken on new management, as Kleris has already arrived with the new lease - have been cleaned of the blood and viscera left behind by your first fateful clash with the Blades gang. Word on the street has been that they've retreated in the wake of the failed assault, though no word of their whereabouts is spreading at least among those not born in a creation forge. The Jhory's Reprieve is not yet open for business. Dun light leaks through stained vitrine panes, filtering out the ash that's still being cleaned out from the fireplace. The staff are hard at work for a proper rebranding, but knowing the man with the keys has its perks: a quiet table and four meals are being prepared for you.

Yet there is one more surprise waiting in store.

A solitary figure stands at the bar. He has not been served, but then again nobody remembers inviting him inside. Not especially tall or threatening looking, the figure stands visibly six feet with slender shoulders and a tapered waist. Craggy lavender skin and curling horns strike a contrast against a knee-length aquamarine coat with brass buttons and brocading. His coiffed dark hair is chased with silver and cropped close, a recent cut. The strap of a chestnut leather satchel is slung across his chest, and he carries at least one potion at his belt but no weapons in sight. If the stranger's coloration and horns weren't enough to a mark him out as an otherworldly tiefling, his cat-slitted lilac pupils would give the game away.

"Good morning," declares the figure, as though his statement were enough to simply make it so. "Izar Abelian, pleased to make your acquaintances at last. I hear you've been using my name around town?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Kett's sleep is as long as she needed, and thankfully undisturbed. Her contacts seem to have come through with the required items in the morning, and she has them stashed away for later use, before beginning the morning in the same way she always does - preparations, meditation and breakfast. It was always better to conserve energy and effort for when it was needed, and she wasn't in any particular rush today. Maybe another building or two would blow up in the meantime, she'd prefer to have an alibi.

Thankfully the city seems a little less explosive, and her casual stroll to the agreed meeting spot remains undisturbed. Greetings with any of the rest of them were due to wait, being interrupted by this newcomer. She casts her mind back for his name, trying to think if he had come up before, but Kett draws a blank. If his name had been getting thrown around it wasn't in her presence, or at least not in a memorable way. Maybe one of the others, but she takes the initiative to pump for information in the meantime. "Eezar was it?" she asks innocently, but deliberately saying his name wrong, "Sorry, I don't think you've come up before. What is it you do exactly? From your clothes I'm guessing...colourblind vampire fashionista?" The man wasn't doing himself any favours with his garish clothes, but in her experience tieflings rarely did. Those who weren't barbarous and near-feral tended towards the hard opposite direction. Prim and proper and utterly prideful. She could smell the ego from across the bar, and mostly she just wanted to needle him a bit.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Darkvision cast and then a short rest to regain ki.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Inn To Business

Kleris grimaced "He died protecting me, seemed the least I could do to honor his memory.

Kleris nods along to the contract being laid out but wavers his hand back and forth on the protection from the law "I can promise aid if something occurs, from my contacts in law enforcement, but I have no guarantees. I clearly don't own the entire law enforcement agency of Throneport or the council. The rest of it though sounds good."

He signs the contract with a flourish and proceeds to count out 60 of the newly gained platinum coins he had gained. Handing them over to Pfennigan. He then gets up and nods to the other man, holding out his hand for a shake. "I look forward to working with you Pfennigan. Send someone to the inn in a few days and we'll get started."

Long Awaited Meeting

Kleris chokes on his own spit for a second. Kett sassing the leader of one of the most dangerous gangs in the city after said leader showed up to call him out for name dropping was going to literally give him a seizure. Possibly for the best if it did happen, people who piss off gang lords end up in pieces packed into 3 different barrels.

The day had started off great. He had a good rest after the chaos, so he woke up rested and ready. He had come to the inn where thankfully Elise and a few of the other staff had held out hope and kept at work. After promptly making her assistant manager and paying the staff a gold each, with Elise getting an extra five silver for her position.

The rest of the group meandered there way into the inn and they were all sitting down to a nice hot breakfast.

Then everything went sideways in a bare handful of sentences.

'Tell the truth! Come clean about everything! Maybe that will save you!'

'Screw that noise! Lie for all your worth if you want to live! Deny till you die!

Kleris shivers in a way that only changelings can, it isn't up the neck or goosebumps along the arm. Kleris shivered deep within himself organs and bones shivering slightly in a desire to change forms and escape notice.

He moves slowly towards colorful Tiefling and smiles at Kett ""Please Kett, this is a very important man around town. One that graciously has let me have a contact with his 'daughters'. It has indeed helped us out recently in our... endeavors."

He smiles winsomely at the Tiefling and bows deeply and expressively, sticking out a leg. "I was meaning to reach out and set up a meeting with my contact in the Daughters. I have a proposalyou may be interested in.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Abelian gives Kett a winning smile as she gives him her sartorial critique, not showing whether or not the jab has gotten under his skin. However, he does frown slightly at the display of deference from Kleris, going so far as to motion that the 'half-elf' rise back to a standing position. When he does, you realize that what you took to be natural ridges on his skin are actually distinctly human-looking wrinkles: he has crow's feet and laugh lines around his eyes and mouth.

"There's no call for flattery here, son. I'm just a retiree now; though they use my name, my former associates have charted a new path. They struck out from my shadow some time ago, and I confess that I haven't much missed the days that they worked under it." The quirk of the tiefling's eyebrow is accompanied by the lone shrug of the same side shoulder. "However, when someone uses their - my - name in a deal without their knowledge? Well, word of that gets around. And in this case, the word was loud enough to make it to my attention without me having to listen for it."

He holds out one of his hands with a palm upward, as if to say 'what can you do'. "You shouldn't worry about it, Kleris; anyone who's tried to organize a group of adopted delinquents has to have pretty tough skin. Now why don't explain this proposal to me, so I can let you get on with your breakfast? I've come all this way, the least I can do is pass on the particulars to the right people."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-11-29 at 04:38 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Stone Cold Law

Arimart smiles and nods at Berem, then leaves the office. After that, the Paladin takes some time to pender the events of the day, and resolves to take only two important goals for the rest of the day: dinner, and a rest!

During the evening, he rethinks the battles of the day and, inspired by Maugrim way of protecting his peers, he tries to concentrate on the powers of the Flame, reaching for ways to act as the heroic Deneith old veteran. After an hour of meditation, some words resonates in the back of his mind "Your suffering, is my suffering." Empathy, one of the prominent characteristics of the Flamists, according to Melessar. Now, something more can be made of it, as if the Flame itself was capable of driving Arimart's sensation and shape them into something... 'real'. Or at least tangible? After all, those are the secrets workings of the Silver Flame, or so the Paladin thinks.
    Full of questions, but feeling somewhat more resolute than before, Arimart falls asleep not much later.

Long Awaited Meeting

Before leaving the castle, Arimart sends a message to his friend Imra and to Nyctessa, then He takes a stroll through the city, covering his symbols as to not attract too much attention and look more like a normal citizen (well, a normal armored citizen, at least...) while singing in his mind an old song from a Medani singer about something happening after a long wait; during this walk, he takes some time to look around: this morning is definitely quieter than the last one, and the city seems to be back on its usual business, both in the light of day and in shadowy alleys.
    As he reaches the Speckled Hen, the Khoravar notices that everything seems in order; He quitely listens to the news and joins the others at the table. When the unexpected guest comes, he doesn't say anything, instead looking at him and his companions reactions.

Spoiler: Message for Imra
    Show

Hello Imra, I'm sure Beren already contacted you about finding some healer for the Nameless; I hope you have some contact. I see that you got to have some fun during the Tribunal hearing! Maybe we can talk about it when we meet for a drink. I still owe you a couple of glasses of Windshire Rainbow Wine you have to go yellow too!

Spoiler: Message fo Nyctessa
    Show

Thanks for the help yesterday; I believe we will need to discuss our approach to Maugrim Nameless' Case. I will be working in the city, but We should book a meeting in the next few days, maybe even tomorrow, if possible.

Arimart
    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-11-29 at 04:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon sleeps in well last his typical wake up call of dawn. After his night of near countless hours of studying he’d be able to sleep into the early afternoon, and if it wasn’t for Spritz slithering over his face to wake him up around 11am, that’s exactly what would end up happening.

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise, Spritz hisses with a sibilant chuckle into Gryphons ear.

F*** off. I didn’t get to sleep until 3am last night, the somnolent wizard growls as he attempts to twist under his blanket into a position free from his familiar’s harassment.

Don’t you have an important message to send of today?

Remembering the events of the past day, a grin splits uncontrollably across Gryphons face as he cracks his eyes open a pinch and throws back his covers (incidentally flinging Spritz across the room).

Without saying another word Gryphon pulls out his spellbook, flips it open to several freshly penned pages, lays it on the floor, and starts studying it as he begins the push-ups, sit-ups, mountain-climbers, and tuck jumps that make up his morning workout routine.

After finishing his morning workout as quickly as possible he wipes the sweat off his forehead, catches his breath, and exhales slowly, ready to start the day with magic.

He touches the first two fingers of his right hand to his forehead and closes his eyes. Focusing for a second his eyes pop open and he speaks, in a definitive tone:

Oma Katra, It’s Gryphon. I can now report through Sending. Tribunal considering our offer. Making headway with non-humans. Full mail report incoming...
    Considering his last words, Gryphon thinks for a moment before saying:...Miss my family.

After waiting for his response he gets dressed, eschewing the gold and white tunic and boots if yesterday for the charcoal, scarlet, and sark brown outfit he feels more comfortable in (taking. Moment to reassure himself that he’s free from his natural honey-blonde hair he faced the world with yesterday).

After using high pressure steam from Shape Water, and Prestidigitation, Gryphon styles his hair and cleans off his body. He creates an inertia barrier around himself with Mage Armor and checks to make sure the alarms on his apartment are properly calibrated.

Gryphon stops by his landlords mailbox and drops in an envelope with the multiple Galifar coins and a note explaining that a freshly distilled baijiu and a possible job for her nephews await her if she comes to his apartment in the evening.

After, Gryphon ritually summons up his shadowy steed and trots over to what he assumed would be The Speckled Hen but he doesn’t fail to see all the signs of new management and the puffs of old soot coughing out off the means of egress.

After snapping his fingers to dismiss his phantasmagorical ride, Gryphon saunters into the bar just in time to hear Kett sass the hells out of the lavender Tiefling, just as Kleris attempts to mollify him.

Now just what sort of “contact” have you had with this gentleman’s daughters, Sir Kleris? One can never underestimate the profligacy of a knight... Gryphin chuckles to himself as he rescues a lager from a beleaguered waitress and sips contentedly.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris feels another full body shiver coming on, this was difficult already. The sass made him roll his eyes until he almost froze with his eyes like that at a thought. Did Izar know his name? Had he introduced himself at some point? Nope.

He gives himself the luxury of another split second internal freak out before moving forward. Ok, this needed to be vague enough to not reveal his identity as a changeling but have enough in it to satisfy the dangerous crime lord. He looks at the Tiefling curiously "Really? Your retired?So boring days just hanging out with old friends looking for something to do? I imagine its hard to leave the life behind. Now I've only mentioned your name twice in conversation so its either Clerven or Pfennigan who's been spreading the word. My money is on the first. Anyway an explanation is in order. My ..."

Kleris stops for a second, thinking. Then just shrugs "Eh let's say associate, is Orlan. He knows a Kossaria with the Daughters. He works for me and i use him for his connections with the underworld. A mutual friend, Yig, put us in touch. Anyway, the night before last we were all dealing with some pretty time sensitive stuff and had to make a deal with the Midnighters for some-"

He glances at Arimart for a second before continuing smoothly "-Precious cargo. However to sell the deal to them we had to sweeten it a little more. Arimart had the seed of the idea and I took it further. He mentioned that the inn, soon to be taken under my management as it now is, would be a good hideout for the Midnighters. I thought that was too small. I figured hideouts were nice but the successful groups would have those by the dozen all ready. What seemed more useful was a neutral ground, an information center for groups to trade and purchase information. Private rooms for meetings in a safe neutral location. Someone running it who's in the life but aloof from the various politics of the city. That is my proposal, if the Daughters would be interested in being part of such a thing. If it would be able to help them at all. I may have insinuated to the Midnighters that the Daughters were already interested to drive up their own interest."

Kleris grins sheepishly at the Tiefling "Then last night I may have insinuated something similar to Pfennigan. However both of them are now very interested in the Reprieve as a neutral ground to do some off the books business and swap information. Between them and the contacts my own associates and friends can bring to the table, it might be worth your time."

Then he smiles winsomely "Now, more importantly. What about you. You mentioned you were retired? I think I have just the thing to occupy your time if you're interested. Possibly helping run a soon to be hive of scum and villainy?

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Kett snorts at Kleris' mild reprimand (if it could even be called that) but holds her tongue beyond that. Once it becomes clear to her that this is all deal talk - irrelevant to her, in other words - she tunes it out. It might be important to her, but chances are it wouldn't be and whatever wheeling and dealing was being planned she could get a summary later. So instead she silently exits the conversation, mentally and physically, and heads for the food. They could be out and about for a bit today, and she was never shy when it came to food and drink.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

The food and drink comes quickly, with varieties on sausage rolls and beer being the order of the day. In the meantime, Izar listens carefully to Kleris' outlined proposal, nodding his head slightly a few times but never interrupting or showing any signs of disinterest. The tiefling's cat-gaze lazily follows Kleris' movements, making a point of studying his features but betraying little to no other reaction on the surface.

When it becomes clear that the warlock-turned-paladin is ramping up to ask him to join the enterprise, he politely raises his index and middle finger to interrupt. "While I'm flattered that you would think of me to help you in what seems like a massive undertaking, I have to politely refuse. I meant it when I said that I don't miss that life. Besides, ambition is a young man's game, and you've got more than enough of that for both of us. My time is over - all I want now is to be able to hold onto what I've got and live out my years in peace."

However, Abelian does pause for a moment. "Before I pass along your proposal to the Daughters, I do have a few questions, though..." At this, he rotates his wrist so that both outstretched digits are pointed at Arimart. "... for you. You are a knight of the Silver Flame, and special prosecutor for the Thronehold Tribunal. And you're really giving this your blessing? What your friend is describing would centralize and facilitate crime all across this city; you must know that by sharing information and access like this, organizations like the Midnighters or my own people would see massive returns while using tips to avoid getting caught by the watch. How is your office going to handle it when the street officers in charge of chasing the flood of smugglers, grifters, and con artists into Throneport realize that their quarries are protected by your badge?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-12-02 at 02:22 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart follows the discussion without saying a word. When the old tiefling points at him, demonstrating to know exactly who he is, the paladin looks him in the eyes, and answers.

"I'm not blessing anything of sorts, nor do I intend to offer protection to your lot... or, at least, those who were formerly part of your cirlce of acquaintances. What I know is that smuggling is part of this city at least as much as blood is part of me, and even if I would like to see it cleaned up from crime, I'm not naive enough to believe that an endeavour like this can be accomplished in my lifetime. Or anyones.
    What I know is that the creation of a neutral place for 'negotiations', for want of a better term, would at least improve security for all people. Both the common citizens, who would face less risks of being caught in the crossfire of a fight between some group and the watch, or between different groups, and for your former associates, who could be able to at least use a common safe ground. Don't misunderstand me, I don't appreciate your former line of... 'work', nor do I condone it, but I cannot forget that all those who do it are living beings, and they deserve a chance to have something better in life as much as anyone else. I hope this place can become it, and can help improve the safeness of this city. Clearly, I think the meaning of neutral ground, considering the status of this entire city, cannot be stressed enough: It's not an excuse for breaking laws in the light of day, especially if I'm around."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

The tiefling's fingers move to stroke his chin. "Well I'll be candid; based on what the two of you have said it sounds like a shaky proposition. Sharing information does seem harmless enough, but there will be people who arrive on your doorstep looking to take advantage of what you've built. Everyone's got an angle, and you'll need someone with enough clout with a number of different groups to make sure that whatever rules you put in place are followed."

He says nothing more on the topic, looking instead at the breakfast and beverages being served, and Kett already starting to dig into her portions as Gryphon drinks his beer. Letting out an honest chuckle, Izar straightens the lapels of his jacket - and maybe it's the light, but has the shine of the fabric faded to an understated royal blue over the past minute? - and stands to his full height. "Well, I did promise to carry news of what I've heard to those in my social circle, and I keep my word. It's only fair to let the Daughters come to their own decisions as to whether to buy into this scheme. Thank you for your honesty, all of you. They may be in touch over the next couple of days."

Giving each of you a courteous half-bow and wishing you a good day, Izar begins to head for the door. He is halfway out to the street before the rhythmic clacking of his shoe-stride on the tavern's floorboards begins to slow. The supposedly-retired mastermind turns his head only slightly, leaving most of his profile obscured, but there can be no mistake that he is still intent on addressing you.

"Oh, and I almost forgot to ask one more thing! If Magistrate Jarus hired those delightful Valaes Tairn fellows to take out Maugrim Nameless at nearly the exact same time that Magistrate Lann tasked Sir Kaessel over there to arrest him and bring him in for trial... couldn't one infer that they got a tip-off from the same person? Food for thought."

Clearly intent on leaving on a dramatic note, Izar slips out the door and quite literally disappears from sight. It's not until after he's gone that you notice that he's left his satchel on the bar. Within is a single object: the outline of a helm that is quite familiar to Arimart.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Arimart gets his helmet back! You can go ahead and add that back to your character sheet, Cozja.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-12-02 at 02:19 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Kett watches the awfully dressed tiefling leave with a bored expression. A few words of their discussion had pierced her attempt to not pay attention but nothing she considered worthy of making note of. Still half-chewing a bit of bread and cheese she gives everyone a moment to collect themselves and speaks up. "So, that's that then. Any other outstanding business to deal with? We do have an errant assassin on the loose who I'd like to get the jump on, figuratively and literally." She tried not to sound impatient, more open and amiable, but there was doubtless an edge to her voice. They were, potentially, moving on her objective now. Additional distractions could be tolerated only so long. A selfish approach to be sure, but of her many virtues and vices, selflessness outside her family wasn't one of them. She looks between the gathered group, her lips pursed in anticipation.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon listens to the back and forth between his three compatriots and the visiting crime lord. As the conversation flows he stays fairly silent and tries to evaluate his allies based on their interjections. While he’s still fit to burst with joy from the results of yesterday’s tribunal meeting (and the response to his Sending), he tries his best to keep his expression placid.

So, Sir Kleris wants to make The Speckled Hen into some sort of Gangster’s Paradise. But to what end? Surely he has ambition beyond being a beer-slinging middleman.

Interesting. So our dear Prosecutor Kaessel is willing to take a pragmatic approach to the law, so long as he doesn’t compromise his morals. Better keep that in mind.

And Kett the “Dockworker”, so intent on tracking down this assassin. She can’t wait to start looking for him today, immediately solicited us to help find him yesterday, and I’m willing to bet he’s the same man she asked the Midnighter’s about the other evening.

Gryphon waits for the tiefling to leave before speaking to his party members. I know you’re rather eager to get on with your manhunt, Madam Kett, but there are concerns that must be address beforehand. What sort of compensation is promised for tracking down your target? Sir Kleris here is just beginning a new business enterprise and I’m sure capital is vital for him in these early stages of entry into the hospitality industry. I myself manage a humble establishment here in the Port District, taking time off work without financial assurances might result in my failure to pay my landlady. And the question of jurisdiction, for Prosecutor Kaessel, must be answered as well. Does he have the legal ability to track down your missing assassin? If he does, how do you feel of your target being in the hands of the law, rather than your own?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

She didn't tut outloud, but she certainly did in her mind. It was so much easier when people just did what they were asked without question, when she had subordinates who were loyal - not even to her, necessarily, just to the House, with her by extension. Lots of tedious negotiating instead. Joy of joys. Her response however is delivered with a completely casual nature, rather than her true feelings of quiet annoyance. "Well I lack the bottomless coffers of a country, so I can't promise the world. Still, I'm happy to put up the payment we received for the last job - 75 platinum, split three ways between you, so 25 each. I'll even offer half in advance, if you want a sign of my good intentions." It was a hefty bite on her funds, funds she'd rather have saved for her, Arano and Lia's eventual getaway, but worth it. She could always make it back some other way. There was plenty of opportunity for work if you knew where to go for it. Or just thievery. Stealing was always an option.

"As for jurisdiction, so far as I know he's not committed any crimes in Throneport, not yet anyway. Consider it a...pre-emptive strike if it soothes your law-conscience. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all that. No doubt he's got something planned if he's here, and chances are that something is something to prevent. But make no mistake - dead or alive the assassin is leaving the city with me." The casual tone has gone and her gaze has turned hard. Perhaps for the first real time she's got her serious face - no anger, no laughter, just pure determination - for them all to see, despite her best intentions of keeping it covered up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris jogs forward a few steps as Izar starts to leave, putting his companions out of his thoughts for a second. He smiles at the Tiefling "Well would it be possible for you to come back in a few days? Maybe let me pick your brains over dinner and drinks? It wouldn't be a job, just a chance to talk shop and showcase your knowledge for an appreciative young ear. We could swap the latest gossip, I'm sure I'll have another several tidbits by then. I would owe you one!"

After Izar leaves he meanders back to the table and plops down with a sign, reaching for the hard cider he'd gotten to drink. After that he piles his plate with food and starts to eat at a leisurely pace. He thought back to his conversation with Kett while they were riding to the castle. He had promised to help and it could help him with his own goals too so why not. Besides if she was going to pony up some galifers then all the better, besides jobs like these inevitably came with opportunities to loot or grab a few trinkets. Gryphon was not wrong when he said that he was in need of coin. "The 25p would be good enough for me as this does seem pretty interesting to me as well. Might help me out a bit so its all clear for me. As for your dibs on the assassin that is fine with me, if it would be OK I may have a few questions but that would be it. Off chance they may know an old friend of mine or how to reach some people. Can I assume you have a bit more information to go on then just the location though? Any rough plan or anything? I want to know how much leg work we will be doing here."

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

After Izar leaves the paladin looks at his helm with a hint of satisfaction, then he moves it around to see if it has been manipulated in some way and, finally he sniffs it to make sure it hasn't caught up the sewer's stench. "Thankfully whoever kept it had the good heart of using a washing magic before giving it back. Looks like those Midnighter are cleaner than they look."

As Kett makes her offer, Arimart reflects on the situation "A kind of counter offer to sweeten the deal, at least that's what she wants to let out. Maybe she wants to be sure the others will accept, or maybe she doesn't want to show us too much trust by simply asking or... maybe she's desperate and doesn't want us to find out."

While he considers the various possibilities, the paladin follows up on Kleris question.
    "I, too, would like to have more information about your target, or at least if you know about possible obstacles. And I have another question, regarding the evening we all met. But that can wait..."
    He lets the last words out in a tone that can seem both menacing and educated.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Troll in the Playground

That’s quite a generous financial offer, Madam. Who could turn up their nose at such economic magnanimity; in particular when it allows one to help out a new friend. So long as the finer details don’t unsettle the moral sensibilities of our legal representative, and with that Gryphon gracefully gesticulates toward Arimart, then I’m at your service till we find your Arano.

Gryphon gives Kett a slight, slow bow with only the faintest smile on his face.

And don’t concern yourself with half payment up front. I have every confidence the twenty five platinum will find its way into my wallet when our little errand is complete.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

"Stick your ears out like that Gryphon, someone's liable to cut them off," Kett offers a casual warning against his eavesdropping. She offers no further comment or condemnation though. The name being announced meant nothing when she intended to state it clearly regardless. With everyone gathered around the table she holds out her left hand. A glow surrounds her hands, emanating up around her fingers before coalescing in her palm, then forming into a perfect three dimensional image of Arano's upper half. She could have created him in so many forms, all of them 'Arano' over the months and years, but this is the most recent she'd seen him. His smooth blonde hair pulled back into a short ponytail, his blue gentle eyes that lulled targets into a false sense of security, his youthful cheeks toned with sun and sea, and the slight blemish of night-paint. She could do this at any time, summon his image to her, but the pang in her heart was all to fresh when she did so. Little choice now. She lowers her voice, aware that they were not totally alone here.

"This is Arano Nailo, roughly 6'1". No distinguishing scars or tattoos, however he does bear a dragonmark, location unknown. Exceptionally young for an elf, mid-30s at most." Small lie, she knew his exact height, his exact age, where his mark was. Everything about him. "He's a trained assassin, spy and saboteur formerly in the service of House Phiarlan until somewhat recently. Hopefully I don't need to explain what it means that an elf of his youth has already been working for in such an area for years." Kett pauses for effect. Her heart swelled with a bit of pride in him, despite herself and their situation. "My understanding is that his exit from Phiarlan was not mutually agreed upon - assuming it's not misdirection of some sort - though the cause for why he left is unknown. Regardless, our paths crossed and my family ended up catching some collateral damage. Sufficient enough that I dropped everything and hunted him halfway across the world to here in Throneport. I don't know why he's here, but I do know that I'm not the only one after him - Phiarlan wants him dead, but I intend to get some answers from him. And after that..." She shrugs, her half-lies and obscuring words giving way to truth. "It depends on what he says."

"From what I've learned in my hunt, Arano is a master of infiltration and disguise, supplementing trained physical skills with magic. Fast, quick, and deadly. Thankfully after being burned by Phiarlan his allies should be thin on the ground so unless he's got hired help we should only have to contend with him, and four on one are odds I generally favour. As for his location I've acquired two leads - one from an information broker, the other from the Midnighters. From the information broker," Kett's eyes flash-glance at Arimart, making sure to gauge his reaction, "Arano was tracking a Dark Lantern by the name of Kasimir. The information broker indicated Kasimir had a connection to Arimart, which is why I was here playing nice when the clankers interrupted us. The Midnighters have told me he was spotted roughly three weeks back heading into one of the larger manor houses in the Four Kings. Possibly his target's location, possibly his safehouse" She lets the image of Arano drop from her hand, the magic fading away, signalling the end of her 'briefing'.

"That's the length of what I've got at least. Questions?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-12-08 at 11:40 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #412
    Troll in the Playground

Kett’s comment causes Gryphon to lose the already fraught battle between his joyous mood and his desire to keep his demeanor placid. A genuinely mirthful grin breaks out all across his face and a few notes of an inelegant chortle escape his mouth before he’s able to tamp them down with a throat-clear. The wizard quickly resumes his serene countenance with, this time, a touch of jollity showing through his typical manufactured smile.

She’s got chutzpah, Spritz thinks directly into Gryphon’s mind.

This manhunt is gonna be fun! he thinks back.

He listens silently as the monk explains more about the elf and what he might be doing in Throneport. He’s an elf in his mid 30’s!? Shavarath, it’s a child! We’re gonna hunt a child-assassin.

When Kett gets to the portion of her account regarding her desire for answers, Gryphon takes careful note. She says that this child hurt her family some how and that she wants answers while others want him dead. She has no moral compunction against violence, which means there must be a sort of personal connection between herself and Arano that transcends revenge. Interesting.

Gryphon waits for Kett to ask for questions and immediately has one for her. Madam Kett, you say you’d like some answers from this elf. Would you like to speak with him right now? I ask because I currently possess a spell that would allow for you to irresistibly transmit a message to him and for him to respond to you in kind.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

She'd considered it. Oh how she'd considered it. Reaching out via magic, by machine, by anything. To see or hear him again. Lia could've made something, or a Phiarlan caster with a loose coinpurse or deaf to the wider world. But...no. The things they needed to say to each other would be face to face, where she could look him in the eye and hear everything for herself. "Much as I'd like to have words with the man, I'm not in any rush to give up the element of surprise or to telegraph that I'm both nearby and have acquired magical assistance. There's no threat as idle as on the far end of a magical communication, and we'd just be giving up an advantage." It felt like she was lecturing students again for a moment. Not that she was called to teach very often, mostly to substitute in when she had nothing else on and all the other teachers were busy. None of her knowledge in that regard was even her own, it was just regurgitating the things she'd been taught. A surface level of knowledge, though slowly being backed by more and more experience. "Unless you can trace his location through it, we'd just be wasting your spell, one better saved for something else I'm guessing."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Kasimir, Kasimir of the Dark Lanterns. The name brings him back a couple of ideas and his affiliation a lot of unpleasant memories.
    But it is better to concentrate on the ideas than the memories right now.

"I don know his name, and I know he had some contacts. I didn't think he was... Uhm"

The paladin looks at Kett, and thinks again... was it possible that the tip was part of a larger ruse to bring him to meet her? Still, he did get the informations he needed about Maugrim. It was possible that somebody wanted somehow to kill to birds with one stone? Or maybe he is overthinking it after hearing Izar words? After all, when the Dark Lanterns are around you can't trust anyobody.

"You see, the Dark Lanterns helped in locating Maugrim, but now that I know you were sent to meet me... I'm not sure I like were this is going." Arimart lowers his eyes, as if thinking at something else, then looks again at Kett.
    "I know something about this Kasimir. He is a relevant figure in Throneport, and many underground contacts pass through him, as far as I know a person like him is quite useful, and if this Arano you speak about is from Phiarlan, formerly or not, I doubt he intends to play him a serenade.

Let's forget the gold, at least for myself, I'm in because I want to stop whatever foul plot may attempt to the life of a Brelish citizen, especially one that has a role in this city; besides, I won't give up an opportunity to put a spoke in one of Phiarlan's wheel...
    The woman I was supposed to meet here two nights ago may know something about this Kasimir, we could start from her, if you haven't got any other suggestions."

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris happily makes no mention of his own eavesdropping done in the sewers, he likes his ears where they are. He wasn't sure how the loss of an ear would affect his changeling abilities and didn't want to find out. He does however ohhh and awe at the little illusion that Kett summons for her presentation. Well she seemed to be steering them towards House Phialren which was fine with him, though questionable about how exactly she was mixed up in this.

'Wow, the Dark Lanturns? That is moving up in the world as far as possible enemies go, if they can be made allies or associates though... Hmmm, well information brokers, ex-phialren agents, and a trip to Four Manors. This is already to be shaping up to be more useful then the last mission they had gone on.'

He watches Kett carefully as he sips his cider, watching her smoothly work her way around half truths, omissions, and lies. He didn't know what was what and what was missing but he would need to keep an eye open for the truth this time around. Might help him survive, or better yet give him some good old black mail information.

He catches up to the conversation with Arimart, "Well where would your informant be? I don't suppose she is connected with the 4 Manors area? Would be nice to do two birds with one stone and all that but i doubt it'll be that easy."
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-12-10 at 12:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

It was hard to miss Arimart's stumbling words when Kasimir was brought up. Maybe he was hiding as much as her, though she doubted it. At the very least his allegiances seemed public record. His secrets could stay his own though, she didn't care as long as it got her to Arano - if keeping them hidden got her there faster all the better.
    "Every lead is useful. If you think this informant has information that can help we'd best make use of that." She pauses, suddenly aware that Gryphon likes the sound of his voice a bit much and Arimart may be a bit more honest than she is. "Hopefully I don't need to say this but every word we speak about this is a potential information leak. Even if you trust this informant, or any informant, tell them the barest minimum you can. Likewise watch your words when not in confirmed private. Word of the hunt gets back to Arano and our jobs - all of our jobs - get that much trickier. He knows about Phiarlan. He doesn't know about me."

Well. Probably. But she doesn't say that part out loud.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart answers to Kleris question: "It could be even easier: she goes by the name Renn and, for what I understand, she often shows up around here, therefore I believe some of your new employees could have some information about her."

As Kett continues explaining, the paladin mentally recalls her interrogation's log, asking to himself what her interest may be, given that she is not a Phiarlan enforcer; a thing which he appreciates.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2020-12-10 at 11:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

With Izar gone - though Kleris did not physically see the tiefling, a minute later he found in his pocket a calling card with a time marked two days from now - you are all able to sit down and strategize over food and drinks. The ale and cider isn’t terrible, and as the four of you get comfortable at your table the other workers of the Reprieve leave you to your business.

However, the spirit of circumstance is on your side, as the barmaid Elise happens to be coming to get you refills right around the time Arimart speaks up about the informant. The dark-haired woman blinks in surprise.

"Ah... yes, Sir Kaessel is right. Renn has been around here a few times, actually. She and Jhory were friends, did favors for each other. She was," the server blushes slightly, "she was out in the back alley the first night you all came in, and Jhory asked me to pass along messages to her about what I saw on my smoke breaks or when I was taking out the trash. That’s how she knew to write you. Sorry."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-12-11 at 07:26 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Kett leans back in her chair at the interruption. Perhaps she'd been speaking too loudly the whole time. She knew as well as any that workers (usually underpaid and underappreciated) had the loosest lips and the sharpest ears. Taking a casual pose in between sips of her drink she asks simply of the waitress "Do you know where she hangs her hat? I'd rather not wait for her to crop up if we don't have any guarantees for when she'll appear." With the agreement and rough plan she was antsy - 'eager', if she was being nice to herself - to get moving. Sitting around wasn't her strong suit, even less so sitting around and talking.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Elise shrugs and shakes her head slightly. "I wouldn't know - it's not like we were friends or anything. My boss and her just did each other the odd favour, that's all. I can tell you what she looks like though, in case she does come back here."

"Let's see... she's a halfling, or around that size. Can’t be more than three and a half feet tall. She plays young and dresses in dirty, oversized clothes so that she'll look like a little urchin. Who looks twice at a street kid, right?" The barmaid lets out a chuckle, making sure to fetch you all any more drinks or snacks as she speaks. There is nobody else in the front of house to hear, at least.

"Kind of mousy hair, but hard to tell because of the dirt. Fair skin and light eyes, but I couldn't tell you the colour." Elise pauses to think. "I'm pretty sure that's all I remember."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-17 at 01:18 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.