New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Gryphon

The announcement of your parentage and allegiance cause more than a few of the Tribunal to take note, most of them giving you a second glance. But if your identity had them interested, your honest stating of your purpose has their collective and undivided attention. Unbidden, a brief sussurus breaks out among their number, the matter of the interrogation completely forgotten, and in that you can see the attitudes shifting. Vant cannot entirely suppress a smirk that reveals canine-like teeth, while Crick leans back in his chair thoughtfully. It might be your imagination, but both the halfling and the shifter also seem more than a bit taken by your presence and image. There might yet be inroads to make in those directions.

Unfortunately, the mere shadow of the question you drop at the Tribunal's lap is also met by harder miens. Magistrate Taralos' eyebrows have met in a frown, while Lann's jaw is continually clenched as he stares down everyone else in the room, not meeting your gaze.

"Very well... Kellson," the Thrane says with a forced evenness, "although I will not doubt that you have an important issue to bring before this court, today's inquiries revolve solely around the bombing of the Karrnathi Zone and the apprehension of Maugrim Nameless. Therefore, we must postpone all other discussions until such a time as we have solved this mystery, as it is a clear and present threat to Thronehold and this body." There are more than a few nods of approval at the magistrate's rather transparent evasion, primarily from the nations of old Galifar.

"I am unconvinced of your logic, Magistrate Taralos," interjects Vant, whose smirk has only grown wider over the past minute. "Until we are absolutely certain that Ambassador Kellson's issue is unrelated to the events of this morning, we have a duty - muut, as they say in my tongue - to investigate it as we would any other."

Taralos' eyes bulge as he chokes down a hasty retort, while Crick lets out an open laugh from the gallery. Not waiting for his partner to collect his wits, Magistrate Vant gives you a wave of the hand as if inviting you to elaborate.

Kett

After your two interrogators sit back down, the floor is granted to you to speak, and while your answers do not prompt any dramatic reactions, there are some exchanges of note. Your name does not prompt any flashes of insight to your eye and neither does your stated purpose, but your offhanded mention of their foreknowledge prompts several of the magistrates to look at one of two seated figures: Berem Lann and Syan Jarus, both of whom have you in their sights. What exactly is said in the silence you know not, and yet there is an undercurrent here that has not escaped your attention.

The moment passes, as all do, and the focus returns to the questions and those who would ask them. While Magistrate Sholkoran busily scribes away on a pad of paper before her, the halfling Irandra considers you, pursing her lips to reveal a small tattoo inscribed on her lower lip and making a wet sound. "You independent, then? A freelancer?"

"Before you answer, I would qualify my peer's question further," adds the Zil gnome without even looking up from her quill. "Do you have any existing ties - in blood, favor, or coin - to any particular nation, house, or other faction on Khorvaire? If so, please specify which entity and the nature of the aforesaid ties."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-22 at 03:12 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Kett purses her lips, allowing the seconds to tick by before answering. Her stance changes, her free hand swooping up to clutch her arm at the elbow, a show of vulnerability. "I'm sure you understand that in many lines of work, information can be the difference between life and death, I would rather not speak of any previous ties if I can help it. Details could see me dead, and I do not believe they are relevant to the current situation with Maugrim." She could assert that safely - her allegiances and enemies weren't connected to this tribunal. At least not from what she could tell so far. She exhales, loudly, through her nose. A forceful sigh to show her displeasure before continuing, aware that they'd not be satisfied with nothing. "I have worked with or alongside a number of Houses and in a number of countries over the years, going where the work takes me." Still in the scope of truth.

"My clients value their privacy. I do not wish to be obstructive," She wishes for this to be over with, as smoothly as possible. "but my past affiliations do not seem material and I won't put myself in danger without cause." She gestures to the injuries that she's still bearing from the previous fight - injuries she'd already indicated outside could be blamed on Thronehold's deliberate inaction. "I've had quite enough danger for one day. I can say that I have at one point made an enemy of an assassin in service of House Tarkanan. A changeling who at one point went by the moniker of Lady Dox. I don't know if they're still in service of that same House, though I think so. But as I said, I do not believe they are connected to this incident." A figurative olive branch on her part. Ideally sufficient distraction for them to move on from her familial connections.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris chokes back an awkward gurgle as he sees the enchantments and the several magistrates ready to rake him over the coals. He gathers himself mentally, he needed to be on his toes for this one. He breathes... and starts the dance.

"Well I'm an orphan. I went by a few different names growing up, I was a child and the... situation I was in encouraged me to use multiple names." The fact that he was technically an orphan and was encouraged to use personas was unrelated hut hopefully the dwarf would think otherwise. He didn't imagine that he would confuse the Changeling but it wouldn't stop him from trying. Tricking the tricksters is one of the greatest things go convince others.

"However, Kleris Ostren is the name I took up after a traumatic incident in the past. I needed a change and Kleris Ostren was related to the old me. I have gone by Kleris for long enough though if you need to track down history of me though. I was born in Aundair and lived there most of my life." That was all technically correct. He had to make Kleris out of personas that were very influential on his psyche. At least the Aundair stuff was true without any dancing around.

"I'm here in Throneport mostly for religious purposes, though I am keeping an eye out for a few old friends who may be here." He was here working for the Cabinet which was related to the Traveler so it was religious... in a way.

'Tell them the truth Kleris. They will understand and the Changeling there can help smooth things over with the council. The Host always says you sho-'

'SHUT UP! You sanctimonious git! The truth is not always the best call and charity is not always the best thing to be doing!' Sometikes you need too do viol-

'BOTH OF YOU SHUT UP! THIS IS NOT THE TIME!'

The two didn't normally interact with each other. This was either a good sign or a very bad one. Right now though, this was not the time to deal with it. He tries to calmly move the conversation along.

"Does this relate to the issue of Maughin and Arimart? I imagine you care more about that then the drift offs he gathered to help him."
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-08-22 at 09:22 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Before the Hearing

As Gryphon volunteers to go firts with his youthful enthusiasm, Arimart raises an eyebrow, but says nothing, especially after Kett comes right after. Clearly they wanted to finish this thing as fast as possible, and he sees it in the same way. After all, going last would give him some advantage in seeing the reactions of the magistrates.

While they wait, the paladin recollects his thoughts for himself, and tries to place some order on the events of the last day.

The Hearing

As he enters the room, he looks around, not losing the irony of seeing it from another perpsective than the one he is used to.
    The paladin waits for the spell to complete, sensing its effect in the back of his mind, and prepares to explain a course of action.
    He smiles slightly when he notices that Berem was able to conduct the hearing, and asks to himself what Magister Jarus has in mind.

"Arimart Kaessal, from the Khoravar ir'Kaessal family, born in Wroat. As you already know, I'm prosecutor for this Tribunal." Answers Arimart almost authomatically; he already knows that those informations are not just for the record, but a way of fine-tuning the Zone of Truth spell.

"As for the reason of this reunion, I was tasked with the goal of finding and arresting Maugrim Nameless, formerly known as sir Maugrim d'Deneith, accused of war crimes and betrayal against his house, and have him stand trial before this most righteous court. The search for him was, as expected, full of events, and I had to avail myself of the help of those people you already heard. We were able to secure the 'fugitive' this night, after having found him in a confusional state in the sewers under the port district. Since we were attacked twice, I decided to delay his retrieval after resting in a secure place. You can imagine my surprise this morning, when I discovered that the old man and a group vaguely similar to the one who supported me in this endeavor was accused of blowing up a place in the Karrnath zone. Right after it, my only goal was to bring the Nameless here as fast as possible and, fortunately, he was completely cooperative." He believes that the supposed implication of Magister Jarus is something better left out for now, especially since, for what he knows, this is nothing more than slander.
    Does this poster have a sign?

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

Your non-answer appears to mollify a few of the faces on the other side of the bench. The Magistrates from the unassociated nations don't seem willing to press the issue, looking to each other as though testing the waters on how next to proceed.

However, there are a few who seem less willing to simply take your word on the relevance of your affiliations. Among this number is the Magistrate from Karrnath, who leans over her portion of the table. "Excuse me," interjects Jarus with her Rekkenmark timbre, "but your answer isn't sufficient. 'Working with or alongside a number of Houses and in a number of countries over the years' is fairly vague, I think. Not to mention that 'not seeming material' is a pretty blatant technicality to a simple question."

She moves to continue, but is interrupted by a single slam coming from the heavy fist of Imra Irandra. The halfling glowers openly down the table at the Karrnathi. "It isn't your turn to ask questions, Jarus! Keep your nose out of it."

Magistrate Sholkoran frowns over the nib of her writing, looking at her contemporary for a moment before turning in your direction. "Although my colleague has indeed interjected outside of her remit, she does have a point. I feel safe in saying that this body does not require an itemized employment history, and we understand wanting discretion. That said, one could constitute your answer as evasive; therefore, I will narrow the question. Have you, at any point in your life, been affiliated with any group that has either the capability or the incentive to attack Karrnathi sovereign soil? If so, please identify only such groups."

Kleris

There are the appropriate scratchings of nibs on parchment that accompany your words, as they are copied down by a scribe in the back corner. Crick hasn't stopped smiling, though you can't be sure what that means since he has yet to stop doing it since your arrival. Magistrate Stonebrow, on the other hand, lets out a deep breath. The dwarf's fingers continue to play in and out of his facial hair.

"We are not the ones under interrogation here, master Ostren. Our mandate is to uncover the truth and uphold the Galifar Code, which was born anew in this very castle. It is up to us to decide if you are a person of interest... or a potential threat to a hard-won peace." As he adjusts his sleeve, you note that his right hand is adorned in a number of impressive rings. "Your origin and the nature of your character may also prove relevant when evaluating the ability and professional judgment of Arimart Kaessel, not to mention observing the trial of Maugrim Nameless."

"That is not our charge, magistrate," Crick replies coolly. "We are here about an attack, let us not forget. If we can rule out any connection to this morning's tragedy, then we have no reason to keep master Ostren here a moment longer. As an Aundairan citizen, he cannot be held legally against his will if he has committed no crime."

"Hrmph," grumbles Stonebrow, though he does not dispute the shapeshifter's point. "You mentioned religious purposes, and old friends. Are your religious ties or old associates in any way involved in the subversion of the powers of law as recognized by this court? That is to say, do your religious practices or affiliations break the Galifar Code by condoning or encouraging crimes such as murder, assault, theft, or fraud?"

Arimart

Although none of what you say wasn't already spoken of before you entered the room, your debrief is met by a few intakes of breath, followed by just about every other eye in the room turning to the Brelish magistrate. Berem Lann himself does not bow down before the stares, returning them with a straight back and a level eye. Jarus herself falls just short of fuming at the other judge, though she masters herself before white knuckles can betray her.

"Thank you for your candour, Sir Kaessel," the magistrate from Breland ventures out into the heavy silence. "Your cooperation in bringing a fugitive from the law to justice will not go unremarked. We have indeed heard from the colorful cast of characters that you deputized in your hunt for Maugrim Nameless. Although this court has its doubts about the nature of the team you assembled, your efficacy has been proven."

The Karrnathi judicial official looks like she's being force-fed stones with every word she hears, and steps in before too long. "Magistrate Lann speaks well to your prowess, but I still have questions that demand satisfactory answers. First and foremost: were you, Nameless, or any member of your group complicit in the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest in the Karrnathi Zone this morning?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-08-24 at 12:42 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon keeps an evenness about his voice and demeanor as the magistrates harumph around in their seats. He doesn’t fail to notice that he’s caught the eye of of both the magistrate from Talenta as well as the one from the Eldeen Reaches. That’s why you avoid scars on the Punim. Gryphon muses to himself.

Thank you Magistrate Vant. This affliction I describe is indeed linked inexorably to the very reason the Tribunal has chosen to honor me with its time and attention. No one among us has been spared the ravages of The Last War. There’s none here that have not had their strength tested by a century of warfare. With our continent and our very psychology shaped by five human generations of bloodshed we are all orphans of this conflict.

This has been a test for all of us, the people of Khorvaire. The fact we are all here, together in this room, is a testament to our people’s strength. We people of Khorvaire are stronger than discord! Stronger that strife! War came to break us and we would not be broken! A hundred years of conflict couldn’t conquer our spirit, for today, it’s not just the children of Galifar that unite in solidarity. Today all the nations of our great continent work to build a future our parents would look on with pride and our children will cherish.

I have come here to help fight for this future that all the people of Khorvaire deserve. No one knows better than this Tribunal that the quest for our future is indeed a fight. Know one knows better than this council of magistrates that for there to be a bright future we must extinguish the darkness of the past. There are still those prowling among us that were the very authors of the worst tragedies of The Last War.

Plague-Crafters, traitors, butchers-of-children; the war criminals of the last great conflict still linger in our midst. This tribunal was formed to bring justice to your homelands. To reach out and rid us of this blight so that we might realize the promised future we know awaits us. I am here to help extend this tribunal’s gasp.

It is no secret that so many of these disgraces flock to my nation, to Droaam, to the city of Greywall thinking we are lawless. Thinking we are bloodthirsty. Thinking they have found a safe perch from which they can continue to darken our future.

No! No, good men and women of the tribunal they have found no such refuge! I am here today because we the people of Droaam believe in the cause of this council! We will not be a sanctuary for the people who threaten the dream that all the peoples of Khorvaire share!

I’m sure it’s no secret to you that no less than 18 different war criminals have fled to Greywall within the last 2 years. We have our own intelligence agencies and have kept tabs on them for the tenure of their infestation. What we lack, is a way to prosecute these criminals in a way that gives closure to all of Khorvaire. That is why we believe in your mission here in Throneport. You magistrates do what must be done so that we can have hope for the future.

It is with that faith in your mission that I have come to the tribunal to offer complete transparency and cooperation of Droaam’s leadership in the capture, extradition, and trial of all current and future war criminals that come to Droaam. We have travel records, banking statements, aliases, current locations; complete dossiers on each of the fugitives attempting to hide out in Greywall.

Let us join together to build that future for which we all desire.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-03-28 at 11:45 AM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Was Jarus mad that Kett had broken the paracount's arm? She thought that choosing it over his neck would've earned her some positive leeway, but perhaps not. Some people could look a gift horse in the mouth and ask why it has no golden teeth. "It's not a technicality." Kett bites back at Jarus. "You wanted assurances that I'm not involved with the attack this morning, that's why I'm here in the first place. If I say my affiliations aren't pertinent, then," she clicks her finger and points directly down at the floor, clearly indicating the zone of truth she's stuck in, "this means it's the truth." There's perhaps some unwarranted indignation from her here, but it would serve as a reminder she wasn't here as a prisoner, nor a scapegoat.

She sighs, before any of the magistrates can speak up further. "But, fine, fine. I'll answer directly. Yes, I have been affiliated with a group with the capability or incentive to attack Karrnathi sovereign soil." She matches her words to Sholkoran's, there'd be no further complaints about technicalities. "As I said I was born without a country. The reason for that is that my parents are - or, were, perhaps - pirates." She doesn't pause to allow discussion, but neither does she rush to add more details, continuing on apace, her words are sure, with the defiance of one forced to tell a secret but unashamed of what that secret is. "I grew up on the ship they crewed. As a child I was kept out of the action for the most part, but I've little doubt that the crew would have had no compunctions about attacking Karrnath. They may have even done so, at some point. I don't know. They went where the loot was."

"I say 'went' because when I was 15, the Captain was killed - poisoned. The crew turned on itself and my parents fled with me. A month later I discovered I was pregnant, and was abandoned by them. I've had no contact with whatever was left of the crew, or my parents, since then. For all I know they died years ago." The last line is softer spoken than the rest, but still audible. She pauses now, finally giving them a moment to ruminate over her reveal, though not too long.

"I hope it's clear why I didn't want to bring them up. Can we move on, please."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris sighs and shrugs, this dwarf was going to be a pain. Time for some real twisting of words. "Well my associate I can't say. I haven't seen him for several years and haven't kept in touch. I had word from someone else that he might be around here. I can't rightfully say if he is doing anything illegal or not."

That was the easy part, not seeing someone for years is an easy defense against suspicion. The next bit was the difficult part.

"Well i used to worship the Host, I was an acolyte for a while even. But my aforementioned traumatic incident shook my faith in the host."

He pauses and takes a deep breath, then let's it out in a shudder while running his hand through his hair. 'Come on, milk that sympathy! Now I need to hit them with the watery eyes!'

His eyes water a bit before he gathers himself and continues.

"Now I am on a journey of discovery. As for my religious practices and its interaction with the law, many religions have different beliefs then that of the fine city of Throneport. A worshiper of Balinor is encouraged by his God to hunt for sustenance. If he kills an animal in one of your parks or a pet wandering through the streets then he would have done something illegal to you. My faith means no ill will out of malicious intent though it may come at odds with the law at times. The Host is accepted here even though it may be at odds with your law at times, right?"
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-08-24 at 03:53 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

As Berem follows Arimart explanation, the Paladin answers him, right before being interrupted by Magistrate Jarus.

"Thank you, magistrate Lann. Let it be known that I share your... doubts" as he pronunce the word 'doubts', he opens and stretches his arms, put his hands on his sides and starts walking in circles around the Zone of Truth, "But one thing this post-war times taught us is that sometimes we have to look past what doens't convince us. Besides, they proved quite effective, if not particullary discreet."

As the Karrnathi Magistrate comes back to the topic of the attack, Arimart looks directly at her, with an annoyed expression.

"If I was in you, Magistrate, I would be more wary of making questions like this one during an official hearing, unless you are planning to file an official accusation of misconduct against me, you never know what kind of retort would come up if a civil discussion is turned into a challenge of slanders." He stops talking for a moment, as to give each of the magistrates time to ponder his words, then resumes his answer with a quieter expression on his face.

"I do not belive that any of my associates were responsible of the attack, as almost all of them stayed in the same place all night. As for Maugrim, He was in my custody, and... given his current state, I highly doubt him capable of planning anything more than his next meal."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

Gryphon

Silence reigns in the wake of your speech. Even the scribbling of ink to scroll has ceased for a moment - the stenographer was able to keep up with you, presumably through the use of some shorthand - leaving only a gallery of reactions. And what faces they make, these judges: most are frozen and muted in the way a deer might look in the moment before they fall into the wolf's jaws. Even those who already looked favorably seem taken aback at the frankness of what you have said, as it is clear that nobody expected this. The only members of the Tribunal who have kept a semblance of poise are Vant and Crick, who share a single glance in the wake of it. There is no question that a gauntlet has been thrown down before them, and before a minute has passed, everyone looks to those whose votes will count; the men and women from the Five Nations.

"I think," says Magistrate Taralos eventually, "that the involvement of Droaam in apprehending fugitives from justice is... well, it would be ridiculous, and quite frankly outside the boundaries of the current treaties of peace. Since Droaam is not a recognized member of the Treaty, sending Sentinel Marshals to collect them would be no different than, say, finding them in international waters. There would be no legal conflict of interest."

His words are met with a light scoff from the goblinoid. "Oh come now, sir. You and I are both aware that sending Marshals into Droaam to hunt down dangerous war criminals without the sanction of the Daughters would be unwise. It is obvious that Ambassador Kellson is here to offer that very same boon in trade."

"It is also entirely outside the scope of today's events," jabs in Berem Lann, before putting up his hands. "Pardon my interruption, but any discussion about this offer of 'help' from Droaam in the apprehension of further criminals has nothing to do with why we are here now. Thank you for bringing the matter to us, Ambassador. We will need time to reflect on your words and come to you with a consensus."

Nobody seems willing to contradict the Brelish man's word, not when the fierce approval of the human nations is so readily apparent. As you have made study of this court, you know well that if a vote was forced now, it would not be in your favor. All the same, the looks you get from everyone not from Breland, Aundair, Thrane, and Karrnath now tell you that you have drawn first blood here.

"Well said, Magistrate Lann," says the Flamite with obvious relief. "We have strayed far from the purpose of our being here. Your past and purpose aside, the Tribunal has convened these meetings to ascertain the truth. Our question is simple: were you, Maugrim Nameless, or any member of the group you were accompanying complicit in the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest in the Karrnathi Zone this morning?"

Kett

"Good enough for me! Unless you want her to give you a f*cking family tree, I think we're done with this line of questioning." Ignoring some of scornful titters, the barbarian waves a hand as though flicking away a fly. "Yeah yeah, consider me officially warned for language. The point is that the woman says that her ties aren't relevant here, and obviously she can't lie. Sweet Shavarath, I know more about her background than I know about some of my own clan members."

The Zil lets out a minute breath that could very well be constituted as a sigh. "Thank you for the colorful segue, Magistrate Irandra. You will have to forgive us for attempting to be thorough in our inquiries. We may now proceed to the manner at hand. To that point: were you, Maugrim Nameless, or any member of the group you were accompanying complicit in the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest in the Karrnathi Zone this morning?"

Kleris

For the briefest instant, you swear that you could see a flash of teeth from Crick as the smirk graduates to an expression of true mirth. There is no question that he is enjoying the display. Casting a look at his companion for confirmation, he finally gets a grudging nod from Stonebrow.

"Intent and action are rarely bedfellows, but in this case I believe that exceptions need to be made. It has already been made clear to us - and we have indicated to you - that you were operating under the mandate of Sir Arimart Kaessel, who is a liaison of this court. And despite any potential rule-breaking, the powers of this court do not extend to charging someone for crimes yet to be committed."

If the dwarf looked disgruntled before, now he furrows his eyebrows in a positively churlish manner. "Indeed. As long as you have not broken the Galifar Code, I suppose that this body finds no reason to inquire further into your background. That leaves us with the principal questions. First and foremost, were you, Maugrim Nameless, or any member of your group complicit in the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest in the Karrnathi Zone this morning?"

Arimart

Your veiled threat is taken in the spirit it was delivered, as Syan Jarus narrows her eyes slightly. She moves to say something, but clearly thinks better of it in the moment and holds her tongue in the moment. Lann, who watches the exchange with some interest, has silently invited her to speak first, and she does so.

"You say that almost all of them stayed the night. Did anyone leave during this time, and can you say with any certainty that they did not have a hand in today’s attack?"

"Forgive me Magistrate," says your old friend before you even have a chance to formulate an answer. "But that hardly seems a reasonable line of questioning for Sir Kaessel. He will surely say no, and you will use that as a pretext to revisit the issue with other parties that have already left this chamber. The same parties that, unless I am mistaken, have already sworn that they had nothing to do with the attack. There comes a time when a wound is not lanced, but bled."

The grinding of Jarus teeth is audible in the chamber. "Very well, strike that from the record. I only have one further question regarding this Nameless affair. Were you in my shoes, Sir Kaessel, where would you look for the architect behind this attack?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

She doesn't sigh with relief nor smile, but inwardly she's glad. Arrow dodged, connections concealed. "No, not that I know of." She answers the next question quickly, moving on. Now was the time to be open and show cooperation. "After being recruited by Arimart we...'recovered' Maugrim and escorted him to a safehouse, though we were attacked on the way. Given that the group consisted entirely of men I didn't know beyond a single evening of introductions, I didn't feel comfortable staying the night and after arranging a meetup time returned to my current residence - a cabin on the ship Heather moored in the docks. The attack occurred while I was still rousing from sleep in the cabin. The crew can attest to this if you want to question them, though I don't think it'd be necessary." She gestures languidly at the floor again. There were some advantages to this whole magic truth telling.

She pauses. "Everyone was there when I returned to the safehouse in the morning. Kleris had left the safehouse as well to return to his residence - though I don't know where that is - but had returned before me. So far as I know everyone else stayed together, but you'd have to ask them. Given my impressions of them I don't believe they're responsible, but I can only really confirm for myself, and just to put it in explicit terms: I was not responsible for, involved in or aware of either the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest this morning." An easy truth to tell. One that would hopefully expedite the interrogation, since there can't be that much more they could want to know. Maybe something to do with the Paracount she'd smacked around? Wasn't really the point of why she was here but it'd probably crop up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon fights an internal battle, tooth and nail, to keep up the appearance of being cool and collected while he felt his heart beat so violently it threatened to break free from his chest. It’s all out there now and look at that! They’re not chaining me up and they’re even calling me ambassador. Let’s chalk this up as a win and get the hells out of here.

Gryphon gives a slight deferential nod to Magistrate Lann as if to say, thank you graciously for considering my country’s offer, I’m happy to give you time to think it over, completely ignoring any dismissal the Magistrate intended with his statement.

Nothing to be gained by acting impatient or petulant. I look forward to shaking your hand when out countries sign a peace treaty in the grand hall of Greywall someday and seeing the look on your face. Gryphon thinks to himself.

He turns to the Magistrate from Thrane and speaks placidly. My goal was to help this council bring a war criminal to justice. Surely the tribunal can see that performing a quick act of terrorism in the early morning would only serve to make achieving my goal more difficult. If you’d like a direct answer, however, I’d be pleased to give it. Neither I nor Maugrim Nameless, nor any of my associates as far as I can read minds, were complicit in the planning or execution of the attack on Wolf's Rest in the Karrnathi Zone this morning.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris smiles at them as he wipes away moisture from his forced watery eyes. Inwardly he is letting out a sigh of relief though, that was a tricky bunch of misdirection he just fed them. Finally though, a question he doesn't need to dance around or fake. "I did not have anything to do with the attack on Wolfs Rest this morning and to my knowledge none of my associates or Nameless did either."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart watches the magistrates discussion with interest, he notices that Jarus is losing patience, and he himself wishes nothing more than to end this charade... and maybe take a look on the depositions of the 'other parties'.

He looks at the ground, as if lost in thought, and answers to magistrate Jarus answer trying to avoid other veiled threats.
    "Well, it's a bit early to ask for this, especially considering I didn't even have the time to take a look at what evidence is aviable after the fact. Considering the appearance of the attackers, I'd say that we should take a look at those parties that had more to earn on sir Maugrim death." He stops, still looking at the ground, than starts walking in circles again
    "But we cannot know for sure who has to earn from it, if we are not able to obtain a testimony from Maugrim Nameless... and that could be more problematic than expected. Did the perpetrators know about his mental illness? Or..."
    The paladin stops himself, and looks back at the court, realizing that he is losing himself in his thoughts.

"Excuse me for my distraction magistrates, as of now, I'd say that the best course of action is to try and understand if we can heal, or at least partially heal Murgim Nameless, than obtain his deposition and work from there, all the while taking a look at the evidence that can be found on the site of the attack. We cannot point fingers around, until we have a much clearer idea on what happened, else we may as well end up pointing a Fireball staff in a Druid grove without even noticing."

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

Gryphon

The collective body of Thronehold's highest authorities say little in reply to the information; there is nothing else left to ask. Your answer, so far removed from the rallying cry from before, seems to have been taken in the spirit that it was given. The admission of mind-reading capability does raise the eyebrows of the members from Aundair and the Principalities, but little else besides.

Yet it is not Evam Taralos, but Vhuklok Vant who raises his hand to speak first. The hobgoblin, whose skin resembles nothing so much as a bruised nectarine, meets your gaze. "Since you clearly speak the truth, you have the thanks of this entire tribunal. Nameless, while not the highest priority target on our outstanding warrant list, remained a danger as long as he remained out in the wilds. One can only hope that your companions speak as well as you have done today; I will be personally recommending that no charges be made towards you or any of the others."

Ignoring the stony glare from Magistrate Jarus, Vant continues undeterred. "In point of fact, for helping retrieve Nameless, I believe that every member of your band will be entitled to part of the reward money, which was fairly substantial."

"Magistrate Vant," the Thrane chimes in at last, "do you not think that it might be a touch early to be bringing up the reward when we have yet to even speak to any of the other people of interest?"

"Perhaps," replies the magistrate from Darguun. "But when the others prove innocent, as I suspect they will, then we will be duty bound to pay them in full. To do any less would bring shame to this hall." In speaking this time, he makes a point of showing his fangs in a way that is decidedly less friendly.

Magistrate Taralos shakes his head slowly. "Very well," he declares, "I believe that concludes our interrogation. You are free to leave, Ambassador Kellson."

Kett

With every syllable that you speak, you can practically see the tension bleed out of the room. The completeness of your account seems to mollify the Tribunal. Where once you saw only unspoken accusations, now the eyes of the magistrates betray an interest that - while not necessarily benign - is less overtly keen in finding an enemy operative or a scapegoat.

Magistrate Sholkoran finishes her account intermittently, only looking up at you occasionally as her quill flies over the notebook in front of her. "You have my genuine thanks for being thorough, Miss Collier. It would appear from your testimony that you, at least, ought not be blamed for the events that have transpired. No charges will be laid at your feet, and depending on the outcome of the rest of our conversations today, your account may find you eligible to a portion of the reward for arresting and bringing in Maugrim Nameless. Either way, you will be free to leave shortly."

Imra Irandra throws up her hands again, as though to emphasize her lack of patience with this entire affair, but she does not interrupt the gnome’s speaking. You cannot help but wonder if she is silent solely for the purpose of not dragging this out any further.

"Before you go, though, I have one final question for you. This is a matter more of personal curiosity than professional diligence, so you may decline to answer if you wish." The judge from Zilargo is staring at you properly for the first time, and you notice that the pupils on the other side of her spectacles are filled in at the edges with an amethyst gleam.

"Do you prefers hydras, or displacer beasts?"

Kleris

Your response seems to come as little surprise to the members of the Tribunal: you can only presume that you are not the first of your new allies to pass this particular test. The magistrates who have not been watching your performance are taking notes. Both Crick and Stonebrow nod at the confirmation that you were not involved in the attack, the former with easy grace and the latter with a shuddering sigh.

Olaf Stonebrow rubs his temple with his thick fingers. "I suppose we should have expected your answer, given the others that have preceded you." His heavy jewelry clanks and clatters as his hands return to the table before him in a gesture of naked exhaustion.

"Shall we wrap this up, then?" chimes in Crick helpfully.

"We shall. As a final follow-up question before we terminate this interview: do you have a pre-existing relationship to Maugrim Nameless or any of the members of the group that you arrived here with - Gryphon Kellson, Kett Collier, Sir Arimart Kaessel, or the shifter known as Raz? Or do you perhaps know anyone in common with the other group members? Is there anyone you can think of that would tie you together as any kind of larger conspiracy?"

Arimart

The council seem fairly unperturbed at your musings. For all that you have been kept in the dark, you still those these people enough to know for certain that you are no longer in any personal danger. For better or worse, neither are your new friends. Where that leaves any of them is a mystery, although you really have to doubt that

"His death? That seems unlikely." When Jarus leans back, the light catches her half-elven features in a way that reminds you all at once of your previous affection for them. "Nameless was far more useful to whoever brought him in alive. Infamous enough to be an instant villain in the story they wanted to tell. But you are correct: until we hear from the man himself, our legal strategy will be based on hearsay."

This time, when Lann steps in, it is not to counter the Karrnathi. "You are correct, Sir Kaessel. Speaking with Nameless is our first priority, although I am not entirely confident that we will find anyone capable of fixing his mind. That said, if either you or your counterpart approach us with a deal leveraging information against leniency, there may yet be room to negotiate."

"All the same," he continues with a twinkle in his eye, "we have now officially crossed into territory outside the scope of this meeting. For now, you are free to leave the chamber. Please collect the rest of your companions and see the treasury officer on your way out; I believe that you and your new friends are entitled to the reward for apprehending Maugrim Nameless."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

She tilts her head to one side, looking thoughtful. "An odd question, but I suppose I can answer. Monster hunting or taming isn't usually my area of expertise so I can't say I've much experience with either. I'm a people person primarily. Still, from what little I have experienced of them...probably hydras? Displacer beasts have all the..." She makes wave motions with her hands in an effort to simulate their displacement as best she can. "...which is just confusing. Hydras have a lot to keep track of but at least you can see it clearly, you know? They are what they are, nothing more or less. They're both pretty cute though." She pauses, before continuing with a slight hint of amusement in her voice. "This isn't one of those personality interview questions is it? If you want to hire me I like people to be a bit more upfront about their intentions."

The double meaning of the question wasn't lost on her, of course but she doesn't entertain it at the forefront of her mind. There was a chance that at least one of them was using magic beyond truth telling. Looking in her head was a pretty big violation of trust, what little there might be between them. She'd confront Arimart later about it. Might just mean she needed to add another name or two to the list. Either that or maybe they were a little more perceptive than she'd given them credit. At least one of them was, and the rest would have picked up on it immediately if their education was worth a damn. So, perhaps half of them now had suspicions. Nothing to be done about it in the here and now though. She files it away in her mind as a 'later' problem. If it even becomes one. Priorities, and all that.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris sighs, this seemed kind of redundant after everything else. "There was no conspiracy with the 6 of us and i had not met anyone before last night. I can't speak for the others but I believe none of them had met before either. As for shared people in common, I don't know. I think I may share some aquientences with a few of them or heard of some people they may know but thats about it. No one close enough to push me into a conspiracy like the one you are picturing.

He snaps his fingers after answering the question. "I almost forgot. I don't have a receipt like that officer wanted but this should work. The necklace on Namelesses neck is mine, I lent it to him earlier in the day for his protection but would now like it back please."

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

They listen to my offer AND they’re gonna give me a reward? What holiday is it today? I just need my henchmen to avoid saying anything that that causes an incident and I can start planning my next move.

Gryphon respectfully inclines his head towards the tribunal. Thank you Magistrate Vant, I appreciate your conviction and dedication to Muut. Thank you, as well, Magistrate Taralos. Even if I am certain of my companion’s innocence, a healthy skepticism is vital for a righteous court.

Speaking beyond the two magistrates interrogating him directly, Gryphon addresses the entire tribunal.

I’d like to thank the entirety of the tribunal as well. I know there’s much to take care of today with the terrorist attack and the arrival of Maugrim Nameless and I sincerely appreciate you giving your time to listen my country’s overtures and to consider our offer. I’m sure you have much to work through; if the council has need of me for anything, Gryphon orates while making sure to catch the eyes of the magistrates from both Talenta and The Eldeen Reaches, you’re welcome to call on me at your convenience.

With that, Gryphon turns and walks out of the court house, his chest held high but patently avoiding the cockiness of a strut. I suppose it would be gauche to Prestidigitate my cape to billow dramatically as I exit.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

"I thank you all, esteemed magistrates, and I know that I'll be back on this case as soon as possible. As an additional request, I'd like to read the transcriptions of my associates hearings, I'm sure they will help me clarify their eventual future role in my work, if this court will appreciate my course of action."
    With a bow, Arimart starts walking toward the exit, but stops just a few steps before.

"Oh, before I forget, my associate Kleris loaned his necklace to Maugrim Nameless in order to better forward our mission, I hope it can be cleared out from the proofs and gave back to its rightful owner. Thank you again."

As he reunites with his companions, the Paladin smiles to them, maybe for the first time since they met.

"Looks like this thing is over for now! What are you planning to do?"

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

With your respective interviews concluded for the time being, each of you is let out of the enchantment and escorted from the Hall of Judgment through a separate set of doors on the other side of the room. This leads to another antechamber - near identical to the one you were first led to - in which you wait until all of you return.

Except that only four of you arrive. There is no mention of Raz, who never walks through the doors. The guards and attendants say nothing when questioned, and the magistrates themselves retire to their private quarters on the second floor before too long without stopping for a comment; surrounded as they are by their own contingents of staff, trying to get to them is an exercise in futility. The excessive silence alone speaks volumes, though exactly what it says isn't entirely unclear. One thing is certain though: the ranger from the Eldeen Reaches will not be joining you.

Eventually, an attendant arrives and announces that the four of you have officially been cleared of any suspicion and are due your reward for apprehending Maugrim Nameless. He escorts back down to the ground floor of the castle wing, where he leads you to a back office where each of you are given identical small black velvet boxes that clank enticingly. Within, several stacks of platinum dragons wink back at you. They make sure that each of you signs your full name for the receipt on your way out of the building.

And just like that, you are being led out of Thronehold Castle, back towards the bustle of the city.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So as part of the reward for collecting Maugrim Nameless, each of you will get an additional 75 platinum pieces from the Tribunal's treasury. Kleris also gets his amulet returned to him as part of the same transaction, and Arimart can take transcripts of the other conversations with him as an agent of the court.

We have now ended this part of the game! You're now free to leave the castle, RP out any scenes you would like, and take your long rest to officially level up to 7th level. I am leaving the initiative in your hands to start scenes either together or separately, and we're going into a looser 'narrative' time here. It's early afternoon by now, by the way.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Kett leans on 'her' new staff, quite satisfied with how it all turned out, though she did still plan to kill the colonel at some point. "A nap, probably." She yawns. She was tired. "But I do have a proposal for tomorrow if you don't need to arrest more half-insane war veterans." Time to sell a good show. "The man I'm in town for has been spotted near the Four Kings manors in the Thrane Quarter about three weeks ago, and I'd like to pick up his trail. He's an extremely skilled assassin and spy and while normally I wouldn't hesitate about going for the killing blow, this one is...personal, so I'm looking for help taking him alive." A glance over to Kleris. Hopefully he remembered their chat from earlier. It wasn't him she needed to convince, or so she hopes. Raz's motivations were a mystery to her, but now that he was gone it was just the fairly straightforward prosecutor and ambassador. She'd miss the shifter's bow arm, but at least it made this part simpler. "Having such a dangerous person roaming the city unchecked is cause for concern, and I've no doubt," she shoots her eyes over to Gryphon, "that the city leaders would be grateful for any assistance in dealing with him."

"I don't need a yes or no today, but perhaps if you're interested we could meet at the Speckled Hen tomorrow morning to go over details. Sleep on it, if nothing else, and if you're not there in the morning then we can skip any awkward refusals."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Well, well, well, none of you seem worse for your trip through the judicial process. Gryphon greets the other three as they emerge with a self-satisfied grin on his face that toes the line between boyish and obnoxious. His expression swirls into one of concern, however, after his shifter friend fails to reappear with the others.

Have any of you seen Raz? Gryphon was looking forward to sharing his good news with the Eldeen Reacher but wasn’t particularly concerned by his absence. Wherever Raz is he can certainly take care of himself. When he wants to meet up again he’ll make himself known.

Gryphon watches Kett cradles her new staff and his thoughts drift off, with glee, to his new spellbook safely tucked away in his Bag of Holding as he considers her solicitation.

A dockworker, a martial artist, and now a bounty hunter... or is it a concerned citizen? Either way you seem to wear many hats Madam Kett. Is it true that the city leaders are worried about this person you’re hunting? Is your plan to turn him over to city authorities?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

The Paladin is surprised by Raz disappearance, but chooses to not put too much attention on the matter, knowing for sure that he has not been accused by his fellow magistrates, he may have been called for something different to do. After all, he surely wasn't the only one to notice the Shifter's penchant for... discretion.

Listening to Kett, the Khoravar has no qualms in giving her a hand.
    "I think we can arrange something, and if you want I can take some more information on your target, if you wish to let us know the name of this man..."

He lets the last phrase stand on silence for a while, before speaking again

"Oh, well, I almost forgot..." He then says, putting a hand in his pocket.
    "It's definitely not much, especially considering our earnings from today, but I owe you five Galifars, and I always pay my debts."
    As he speaks, he offers the sum to Kett.

"However, I will surely need help in investigating the matters of today, and since we ended up working quite well, I have a proposal for all of you. We have some loose ties to take care of, like the Speckled Hen and the Midnighters, and I believe we could help each other. As of now, I have no offer to give you, not officially at least, but I think we could work together until we have took care of the things pertaining this last day. Maybe starting tomorrow morning, I sure do need to take care of other things and rest."

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

"Stick around long enough and you might see all of my 'many hats'." Kett gives Gryphon a smirk. "I'm after him because he hurt my family, that's all. Not sure what I plan to do with him yet," she answers with an unusual honesty. "Depends on what he says when we find him. I'll share what I know to anyone who turns up tomorrow. Information is money, and I'd rather not give it away to anyone listening in."

When Arimart offers the coins she lets them tumble into her hand, flipping one in the air and catching it before pocketing them all. "Much appreciated. I won't hold you up any more, and and I really do want that nap, so unless anyone else has anything, I'll be off." She glances at Kleris and Gryphon in case they had any further input.

Spoiler: Once Separated
    Show

Rather than heading direct to the ship Kett detours, heading instead to track down a Phiarlan agent. She keeps information on her job to a minimum, instead simply submitting a shopping list and requesting the items be provided to her cabin by first light tomorrow along with a small pile of gold to cover the costs. Once done, she does retire to the cabin, investigating the staff for any magic and then bed.

Spoiler: Shopping List
    Show

Thieves Tools (25gp)
    Scroll of Find Familiar (70gp)
    Potion of Healing (50gp)

Total: 145gp (deducted from sheet)

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris stretches as he walks out of the castle and sees the city in front of him, he just wanted to melt into the flow of mortal traffic and get lost among them. All the scrutiny and questioning was deliciously fun but it was like winning a life or death duel, exhilarating and full of gratification but also exhausting. He just wanted to melt into a basic persona, maybe an old Thranish lady and have tea in a bustling side café somewhere. Alas he would not have time too.

So when Kett came in with her mention of hunting through the Four Kings he was.... still very interested, she had mentioned it earlier and he was still just as interested. Well there is the other option, instead of relaxing he could lean into the constant thrill of exciting situations. He could rest when he was dead.

His companions promised excitement, intrigue, and better... change. This last mission had made waves all over the city and shaken the council, revealed all sorts of possible schisms among the powers that be, gave him lots of connections, and ended up with a nice payday and superior position for him. Now it seemed like they more was coming, better yet a mission he could possibly twist to his advantage. 'Play the game Kleris, it never ends and you can rest when your dead. Remember you advance through the manipulation of all the players around you. Remember even if you are playing on the same side, you have different win conditions. You need every scrap of advantage you can garner.

'A healthy mind is a balanced rested mind, if you're going to try and continue this 'game' of yours you need to be on point not running around in a mad rush. Get to know your allies and build those bonds of trust, that will be what aids you not any piece of manipulation you can bring to the fore.'

Kleris thinks as the others are talking, they were all seemingly invested in keeping this little group on good terms which was fine with him. Perfect, it would be better for all of them to work on this rather then just him and Kett. The sneaky women seemed like a solid asset but about as trustworthy as a snake. He had several important problems to see too though. Taking up this mission with the others would limit the options for getting stuff done. 'Oh well. I can get a few of the more time sensitive options sorted before meeting up with them tomorrow morning. Rest will have to wait.'

His eyes twinkle as he sees "Well I'm interested for sure and I've been meaning to look into the Four Kings area anyway. I don't mind meeting up in the morning either way, plan a more detailed plan. I'm going to be meeting up with the inn owner about buying it from him. Then I'll need to meet the midnighters to follow up with offloading our goods, get the prosecutor his helm back."

Inn to Business

Kleris walks the streets in the downtown region of Throneport, he strokes the necklace once more to reassure himself it was there. If he was going to meet the owner of a well known magic store and businessman he definitely wanted protection from mental magic.

He looks for Pfennigan's Phantasmagorium and asks a few fellow pedestrians for directions to the store. Once he gets there he enters "Hello? I'm looking for Kariss, is he here? I'm here for business regarding the Speckled Hen, an inn he owns down in the docks area."
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-10-09 at 10:02 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Inn to Business

For a city that just this morning underwent a public bombing followed by targeted lockdowns, one would think that the crowds in Throneport's central market would show a little bit more restrained. However, as Kleris returns to the bazaars and high end shops under the long shadow of the Triptych, the changeling is surrounded on all sides by waves of faces. Word from the Tribunal has already reached the right people, and the restrictions have been relaxed at the gates to allow a moderate flow of trade between the zones. People and races of all kinds mingle here,

After being pointed the right way, the changeling in disguise arrives at Pfennigan's Phantasmagorium. From the outside, the storefront doesn't resemble a shop so much as some kind of theatrical abattoir; a deliberately faded yellow stone facade with dark frosted windows emanate a slight mist and curved metal sconces glow with an inner magelight. The sign is traced in burning copper above the threshold of the open double doors, through which traipse groups of customers.

Stepping inside the doors, the striking thing about the interior of the Phantasmagorium is its sheer size. What looked like single building from the street appears in fact to be a monstrous warehouse, replete with shelves upon shelves of goods. Bright signs emblazoned into thin air float above the various sections of the store, marking it out for the shoppers' ease of navigation. Each part of the store appears to be divided into general categories of use, from general purpose gear for adventuring, to magical arms and armor, to other extraordinary items of rare quality. And there, where all of the aisles converge, stands a ten foot tall statue made of blacked stone on a hexagonal plinth. It is perfectly, unnaturally still, and carries a sword larger than most of the people milling around its base in its hands. Thankfully, the blade appears to be pointed directly at the ground for the time being.

There is a plaque built into the statue's chest, with a single line of text written therein: 'Shoplifters will be prosecuted.'

These avenues of magical mercantilism are hardly silent: wondrous wheels whir and pop, sparks of electricity sizzle through the air, and above all is the constant buzzing of voices, the hallmark of a profitable afternoon. For all that, Kleris is directed by the store attendants towards the back of the massive market, where a set of high glass windows mark the presence of an office. One flight of wrought-iron steps later, and he finds himself in a surprisingly tasteful office, with polished wooden floors, leather furniture, and a table made of slowly shifting crystal that reflects the heatless lamps. On the far side of the room is a long desk strewn with papers, with a commanding view through the windows of the entire proceedings of the shop.

"So," says a minute figure sitting behind the desk without turning around, "you want to rent out the Speckled Hen. Luckily for you, I'm looking for a new partial owner, so I think we can do business. Have a seat, and if you'd like a drink just ask the room. My people will fix you whatever you like."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So the way this works is that you can either join or start any scenes that you want. Please give the scene a name, so that people can join more than one scene and I know which to write. I'll be posting them roughly in the other that they appear in. Right now, the agenda seems to be:

Inn to Business (Kleris goes to Pfennigan to buy the Speckled Hen)
    Midnighters Scene? (Kleris and Arimart return to Clervec to renew their deal and get Arimart's helmet back)
    Reunited in Speckled Hen (all of you meet back up)

If and when you want to skip ahead to the next morning when you all meet back up at the Speckled Hen, that's fine too - just post here or in the Discord. Oh and also, make sure to finalize any changes to your sheets as you level up to 7th level!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-12-29 at 03:46 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Stone Cold Law

As the group finally disband, at least until next morning, Arimart comes back to the Castle to take some time to read the logs.

He gets a good chuckle out of Gryphon's show "He is gallant," thinks the paladin, "Maybe less smart than he looks, but definitely gallant!"
    Even as he thinks about it, something on what he read about Drooam looks... not impossible, at least.

As for Kleris and Kett, he reads their logs with quite a lot of interest, trying to understand something more on them.

"So, she IS in fact full of surprises. And he got under Jarus skin... that could become useful... I have to speak to Imra about this... And master Kleris is indeed a religious man... but what does it mean exactly? It will be interesting to ask him something in the future..."

As he walks back and forth while reading and thinking, the good part of an hour passes, and the Khoravar finally stops and goes to talk with magistrate Berem Lann "After all, I have a report to give..." He thinks.

He reaches his friend in his office, hails him, sits down, and start speaking.

"So... I had time to look at my 'companions' logs, I'd say that this thing went well that I would have thought when I woke up this morning. What's the next course of action with Maugrim? And... to put it bluntly..." He leans toward Berem's desk "where you expecting such a ruckus?"

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Inn to Business

Kleris hears an echoing snicker in his mind from Istren as he reads the sign. It was pretty funny, both of them assuming that the iron statue would murder anyone stealing.

The office he is lead too is well put together, if he ended up staying in any place long enough to put down roots then these were type of roots that he would be aiming for. He nods appreciatively once more at the offer of a drink and the implied threat of having people watching him or powerful magics, either way it worked out well.

"Hmmm. Well i wouldn't mind a light red wine from Aundair, let's say from 1173?

He looks at the small man with a questioning eyebrow raised.

"Well this is fortuitous isn't it? I don't suppose that decision has been informed by the actions of the last few days has it? Now whatever the reason you have I'm interested in the Hen and you want rid of it. Considering the location and recent gang activities in the area I think it may be going below market value. Now some might look at those problems and see them as advertised, problems. I however look at them and see... opportunity. Maybe enough opportunity to interest even those who want out of the business. Either way let's hear your opening offer? Then I can counter with my proposal."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

A Letter To His Grandma

Gryphon considers Kett’s reply as he trots pleasantly through the city on the back of his shadowy equine mount. Revenge and family drama is always fun when you’ve got no stakes in the game. I might at well entertain her offer tomorrow while I let the tribunal stew on my overture. At least she’ll be making it somewhere that I know has decently palatable drinks.

Gryphon gets back to his apartment at a rapid pace. As soon as he closes the door to his dwelling and ensures that the Alarm spell is secure he dutifully sits down at his desk and writes out a full report of the days events including his offer to the tribunal. After double checking his own report for grammatical accuracy and thoroughness he seals it with wax and his Prestidigitated seal (two crossed spears under an elk with bat wings). Satisfied that he has fulfilled his duty he gleefully tears open his bag and pours over the contents of his new spellbook. Using a quill pen and some paper he takes note of each spell in the spellbook for later consideration of their inclusion in his own book.

In particular, however, he diligently checks to see if the book includes the spell Sending. If the spell isn’t included in the contents of his new book he makes a brief sojourn to the market and picks up a scroll of it (as a Level 3 spell scroll it’s 200gp and uncommon so I should be able to find one) along with the juiciest rabbit he can find for Spritz (if Sending is in his new book he still makes sure to pick up the rabbit to reward his familiar for his hard work). Before returning to his apartment from his shopping excursion he stops by a currier and pays to have the sealed letter he wrote delivered to Hjalfaast Lyroah, confident that the Minotaur will send the letter through discrete channels back to Droaam and directly to the hands of the Wizard’s favorite Grandmother, Sora Katra.

After rooting through his herbalist kit for the proper dyes to return his hair to his preferred black, a quick Shape Water bath, and rewarding himself with a gluttonous pour of Aundairian Brandy; Gryphon begins the process of scribing as many spells as he can into his spellbook. He begins with Sending and works his way through as many as he can get though while allowing himself a full nights sleep before the bustle of the market wakes him in the morning.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Inn to Business

The minute that you state out loud what you would like to drink, the substance of the table itself begins to crack noiselessly, unfolding and opening to reveal a myriad of smaller facets within. One such fragment grows upwards and outwards like the petal of some monstrous flower, and right there waiting for you is a goblet made of the very same stuff, already full near to brimming with cherry-dark Aundairian red.

Looking back up, you find yourself looking into the face of a rather shrewish looking halfling. He wears gold-rimmed spectacles, and business attire that wouldn't look out of fashion in a nightclub: a garish burnt orange suit with flared snow-colored lace at the collar and wrists, all dripping with enough jewelry to buy what you need several times over.
    Patient eyes watch you take your first sip, assessing. The lips turn back into a smile that is the furthest thing from pleasant.

"Here in Pfennigan's Phantasmagorium," says its proprietor, "we deal not only in gold coins, but also in wishes sated. Over the years, this company has become especially proficient in appraising the value of our customers' dreams. So when a man like you - with such a naked admission of what he wants - walks into my establishment and is already trying to lower the price, he presents me with such an opening that I cannot resist."

"The property is not for sale - I will not give up prime dockside real estate just because the market is unfavorable. However, you may take over the property's lease from the current owner of record. Currently, the monthly rent on the building is 750 galifars per month, which does not include paying out any staff or operating costs of using the space for business. If you would like the Hen to continue operating, I would suggest finding a way to pony up a nice even thousand for all of the other incidentals - as well as start building up an insurance fund in case of accidents like last night."

Gathering his own glass - a Reaches brandy, known for its sour taste - Pfennigan takes a loud, long slurp. "So, that's my initial offer. Would you care to counter?"

Stone Cold Law

You are familiar enough with the offices of the Tribunal, and finding your way back into the Brelish rooms on the third floor of Thronehold Castle is easy enough. The guards and secretarial staff let you through when you show your identification, and you are allowed into a sedate office. Behind paperwork doing their best impressions of mountains, Berem Lann sits poring over notes.

You are welcomed in, of course, and the scripts from the depositions of your crew are made available for your perusal. Lann is quiet as you look them over, drinking two fingers of pure heartlands brandy that he offers you as well. When you're done, the judge listens to your questions.

"With all honesty, I can't say that I predicted most of what has transpired. When this whole Maugrim business started, it was all about bringing in a known fugitive from justice. My sources either didn't know or didn't care to inform me about the plot to attack Wolf's Rest - either way, my eyes outside of this castle are more limited in scope than I hoped." Your Brelish compatriot lets out a rattling, exhausted breath.

"I don't know what to make of Maugrim either. In his current state, he is not fit to stand trial. I know that I'm certainly not ready to sentence a man to life on Dreadhold for crimes that he does not remember, and may not even have committed. If you are truly intent on prosecuting him, you will have your work cut out for you. The Tribunal is, at your request, going to look into finding someone that can heal his mind, but that will take a practiced hand and a deep understanding of healing magics, so it may be time before we can attain that result."

A Letter to His Grandma

The evening's tasks prove to be both succor and disappointment. Penning the events of the past few days and getting them to your contact is easy enough, ensuring for now that your grandmothers are kept abreast of the goings on in Throneport.

This leaves you with the task of the spellbook. The tome, belonging to Rolund ir’Omik by the name inscribed in the front cover, is an elegant mahogany leather thing, with brass clasps that have seen some use. The cipher within its pages - a fairly common Karrnathi quietus code used in the Last War - is easy enough to break given an hour, and before long you have the general lay of the spells scribed within.

To your mild irritation, the long distance communication spell is not in those pages, though it does contain a wealth of magic and research into other practical matters, including the arcane science of undeath. There are spells you have not even heard of before, to transfer life forces between creatures or take them outright for oneself as Rolund himself did to Kett. The wizard seemed preoccupied with applying necromantic loci for a more military bent, the most recent final project building towards a spell that could raise an entire honour guard of elite warriors with a snap of one’s fingers.

Given the nature of the man and the history of his country, you suppose that his interests are hardly surprising. That said, the more you read the more you understand that Rolund was a cut above what you might have expected.

That he is still out there smacks of unfinished business, and you get the sinking feeling that you will not have heard the last of him.

Spoiler: Rolund's Spellbook
    Show
    1st Level - false life, identify, mage armor, silent image, ray of sickness, shield
    2nd level - blindness/deafness, darkness, gentle repose, hold person, invisibility, rope trick
    3rd level - animate dead, counterspell, fireball, life transference, sleet storm, vampiric touch
    4th level - blight, conjure barlgura, stoneskin
    5th level - danse macabre
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-10-25 at 06:12 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.