New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Acquiring Assets

Kleris takes a moment to think, he didn't want to spend too much on an option that may not pan out. Still though it couldn't hurt too much to invest some into it. He had already paid the 200gp for the papers so a little extra couldn't hurt. "Well its not a huge priority yet so let's say two hours?"

He tosses her a small pouch with the coin and nods to her. "Feel free to stick around for a drink or two on the house."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

A genuine grin breaks across Gryphons face as he looks into the crate. Family drama utterly unrelated to him, a visit to Granny Mebsa, an invitation to one of the most important social outings of the season, and now the absolute perfect present to show up with. It’s was proving to be one of the finest days the half-elf had experienced since his arrival in Throneport.

Throneport is a richer city for having you and your shop in it, Mr. Craigh. I won’t waste your time with haggling, “Jaunt” is perfect. He counts out the coins as he asks the old gnome about any particular care instructions that blink dogs require. He hands the cage off to his servant, gives Craigh genuine thanks, and sets off down the road, whistling tunelessly under his breath.

As he marches back to his apartment, his positivity bears inspirational fruit and he stops off at a few local shops to buy another rabbit for Spritz, a Ribeye steak for “Jaunt” and a Scroll of Blink for himself.

After arriving home he sets the animals up with their carnivorous treats, before tucking into the rest of the food Granny Membsa boxed up for him. Pouring himself a glass of red wine (dry, medium tannins, light fruit), Gryphon savors the end of a satisfying day.

Forcing himself to take care of one final task before he allows himself an early night of sleep, the wizard pours himself another glass of wine and sets about scribing Blink in to his spellbook. After a few hours, and the remaining wine in the bottle, he completes the job.

Despite the fact that he could still do a bit more work scribing spells, the young Khorovar allows himself the rare pleasure of going to sleep at a reasonable hour.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~4 hours?), 3/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: --

"I never said he was a prosecutor." Kett remarks, almost offhandedly, not looking at Arimart. There's no specific point, merely an idle observation. Maybe his tongue was loosening a little in his own confidence. She doesn't feel the need to comment on the lack of the 'not-brother'. That play came later. "For most crimes you'd be right. If you'd murdered a civilian in the street, for instance, I think you'd be on exactly the track that you say. But you chose a guard. This isn't just about justice against you anymore." She shifts in her seat, tilting her head ever-so-slightly towards Sterling. "The law may want one thing, but law enforcement is a whole other barrel of fish. An example needs to be set. Trading muscle and guardsmen on a straight 1-for-1 exchange? A tempting prospect for some establishments. Grand scheme there's a lot more criminals out there than guards, and they only need to kill enough to make enforcing the law seem...ill-advised to get free reign. Your actions have sent ripples through this little pond, ripples which inevitably bounce back."

"Tell us what you know and perhaps we can work at 'plucking' some of those from the pond before the ripples wash over them."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Gathering Info

The warforged stands stoically, not reacting visibly to anything that's been said so far. In fact, Sterling is so still that they may as well be a statue in the room, keeping to the letter of their promise of non-interference. Of course, a lot can be read in a dead-eyed stare given life, and the half-elf seems fluent enough in that language. His jaw hardens as his gaze traverses the space between you and the sergeant, reading the implicit confirmation that hangs heavy in that air. So, bloody knuckles taut, the prisoner considers his response carefully.

"What you're talking about is illegal," he mutters, but is that a note of fear in his voice now? "It violates my rights. Under the laws of Thrane, of the country whose sovereign soil I am being charged, I have the right to fair treatment before my standing before a magistrate."

He turns his eyes to Arimart now. "You are an agent of the court, sir. I could have presumed as much by your presence here, but I recognized your face on the way in. Will you let due process be ignored for the sake of information?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-08 at 05:34 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

As the half-elf addressed him, Arimart walks slowly toward the table, looking at the prisoner with a serious expression.

"Of course not. I have no love lost for brutality and I never endorsed torture, not in times of war, defnitely not now. I can assure you that for my part I'll see that you will be tried according to the laws of Galifar."

He places his hands on the table, looking directly at the half-elf, and lowers his voice. Not too much, everyone can still hear him, but it is clear that he wants to appear more conspiratorial.

"That said. You are here, and you will be detained by the very guards you attacked. And I, as a lawman, cannot always be around to see what happens. A trial for murder of a law enforcer will require at least a week for a complete set up. Time you will spend here. I can assure you I will take care of your well-being once the tiral starts. How you will show up at said trial is entirely out of the scope of my role. Sadly, I won't be able to show up here to see how are you detained, because I have many commitments."

He moves closer to the prisoner, lowering his voice even more.
    "But she has less commitments than me, and more free time."
    Does this poster have a sign?

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She doesn't smile outwardly at Arimart's words, keeping a cool face. "Have you ever heard the phrase 'It's not illegal when the King does it'?" She taps a fingernail against her knee rhythmically. "We could spend a lot of time arguing philosophy of law, but while I have that sort of time, that one," She tilts her head back to Sterling again. "is a little more eager. Needless to say if you happened to escape your shackles and happened to pose a lethal threat which happened to be put down before you reached trial, no one would look too closely." She gives a gentle shoulder shrug. "Such things happen from time to time. I would regret it deeply, as I'm sure they would too, but it wouldn't end the hunt. The law would keep pressing, so as not to appear weak. To send a message. We have the face of your accomplice, we can find him, and then we can have another conversation. Perhaps he will be more forthcoming." Kett sighs. "Or you can make the smart decision, for you and for the fellow you were with, and convince us that we don't need to have that talk."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Gathering Info

The prisoner breathes in sharply at what is said in front of him by both parties, a thousand small muscles working in his face as he walks through the calculations in his head. It doesn't take him very long.

"... alright. Alright. If I'm going to my end, I might as well not drag anyone else down with me. If I speak, I want assurances of a fair trial, with a proper cell and a Sivis barrister called before I stand in front of a jury. What exactly do you want to know?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-08 at 05:35 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett nods, keeping her smile ambivalent, laughing at him in her mind. Too easy. "I can agree to those terms, so long as you don't hold anything back." She suddenly wishes she'd brought some writing implements with her, something to jot down notes. Alas, she'd have to rely on memory. "Let's start with a few simple things. Your name and current employer makes the most sense." She could ask for the accomplice's name, but better not - the less interest in him she she showed now the better. Let him think that she'd given up on them, other links would travel back to him eventually, if needs be. "After that I'd like to know why you were following me, what you know about me - if anything - and what you were doing in the Four Kings before you were following me."

Answers could lead to more questions, but that was as good a place as any to start.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

As Kett lists her questions, Arimart encourages the prisoner.

"I'm fine with your requests too, now answer and we have a deal."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-01-23 at 06:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Gathering Info

"My name is Berick, and I work for the highest bidder. At the moment, my associate and I are under contract by a private individual who goes by the alias 'Quicksilver'. He hired us both yesterday to take note of all known associates of Sir Arimart Kaessel. Quicksilver gave us both a dossier with some faces and names and asked us to track your comings and goings around the city." Now that the promise has been extended and accepted, it seems that you can't stop the half-elf from talking.

"We followed our target here into Four Kings to Solstice House, along with his mage companion Gryphon Kellson. Our plan was to leave the area and keep on following the two of them, but while stalking them we came across you so we made a tactical choice to follow you instead. Right now, I imagine that my associate is reporting back in with Quicksilver. Before you ask, I don't know who he is, but he is a dwarf of some wealth with dark hair and beard. I suspect Kundarak connections, so I didn't question his coin."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart's brow furrows at the news of another unknown party looking for them. He is used to making enemies, but not at this pace.

"Why do you suspect Kundarak contacts? And, can you tell us when did this Quicksilver contact you?"

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She glances at Sterling and Arimart. There was no guarantee the suspicion was correct, there were a lot of dwarves around. But those who cared about Arimart? Probably narrowed the field slightly. One of the Magistrates was a dwarf, and there'd been the suggestion that there might be infighting among them if that flamboyant tiefling was to be believed. She holds out her hand and conjures the image of five dwarven faces, lingering on each for about ten to fifteen seconds. The second of five was her recollection of the Magistrate. Two were sailors on her ship and two were long dead. "Are any of these faces Quicksilver?" She asks, cycling back to the first one and proceeding through again. Once she receives a response, she lets the imagery drop and follows up.

"Where would your associate go to meet him now?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-01-23 at 07:15 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Gathering Info

Berick pauses for the appropriate amount of time, watching each face carefully as they appear before him. He purses his lips before replying.

"I don't think Quicksilver is any of those, sorry. He tracked us down in the Lower Market, and asked us to return back there at the end of the day with our findings. He said that he'd find us. I imagine that my partner is meeting with him right now, if he hasn't already. As for why Kundarak... well he had a moneyed feel to him, lots of rings and jewelry and such. He didn't seem like a fighter, and the thinker types are usually involved with the houses. I figured most likely it's Kundarak."
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aurum!" Is the first word that springs up in the paladin's mind, followed by a trail of questions, of which none of them are supposed to be asked to the prisoner.

"Well, as for me, I have no further questions."

The prosecutor turns to Sterling and approach him to speak without being heared.

"I let him in your custody, as difficult as it is, I'm sure you will act with the honour that your badge requires. Tomorrow call for a Sivis lawyer, and do not forget to charge the prisoner for him, and for any expensed for the funerals of your colleague. It's part of the rights of compensation."

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Not the magistrate then, probably. Another piece added to the board. Moneyed meant they might meet tomorrow at the party. Something to keep an eye out for. "Last question - any other identifying features on Quicksilver? Birthmarks, tattoos, scars, signet ring or badge, that sort of thing?" Once he's answered, she stands, the meeting concluded. Ideally Arimart would not have agreed to let the man meet a trial. Kett's solitary agreement carried no authority or weight, so it would be trifling for her to go back on the word. Arimart...less so.

But perhaps it would work out.

Once outside the cell, and out of earshot of prisoner and Sterling, she says casually to Arimart "So, which moneyed dwarf did you piss off to have them hire a relatively skilled knifeman to keep an eye on you?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Acquiring Assets

Opal pockets the purse of coin quickly as it slides across the table, giving a contents a cursory glance by sliding open the leather drawstring rather than taking anything out and counting it in front of you. "Two hours, you got it boss. I'll go myself tomorrow and bring one more, so that we know what you're looking for. That way, when I come back here to deliver the papers you'll hear back about this other thing as well. Sound good?"

The halfling politely declines the offers of drink on the house, opting instead to head back out not long after the transaction is confirmed and the money has been paid. The Midnighter offers a friendly half-wave on her way out the door, leaving you to the rest of your evening and the promise of an even finer one to come.

Gathering Info

Berick just shakes his head at the final question. "We only met him the once, and he paid us well enough to ignore or actively forget the kinds of details you're after. But best of luck catching him!"

Sterling, upon getting confirmation that the interview is over, opens the door to let in some of the guards to escort the two of you out and take the half-elf to his new holding cell. The warforged listens to Arimart before giving a curt nod of approval, promising to see to the details of their prisoner's new official transfer and contacting appropriate representation for his upcoming murder trial. "That someone would take a life so carelessly should not surprise me," reflects the warforged on your way back out past the front desks, "yet it does. The Last War is over, but some only know the blade. Rest assured, sir and madam: justice will be done here."

As you step out of the garrison, Sterling gives you a crisp salute. "Flame be with you."

Collaboration

For the first time since all of you stepped into what was once called the Speckled Hen, Throneport basks in spring's full embrace. The just-risen sun shines softly on the city streets, bringing with it a flurry of early-morning activity. The catch from the docks flood the markets with new product, as do the myriad small craft coming through the port from Thaliost, Flamekeep, and Rekkenmark. Even Brelish ships that sail down the Brey River make port here, and voices of all accents and dialects from the Five Nations can be heard. A cloudless sky brings with it a rosy-hue that turns to peerless azure, and all the fingers of the sun find purchase in the forest of roofs and stall-shops. Despite the power of those who keep the city's laws, it is evident to you now more than ever that the true heart of this city - where the beating pulse of commerce and trade resides - is the Port District.

Once more, the four of you have come together. The knight-turned-prosecutor, looking to safeguard the innocent. The Phiarlan specialist, tracking down an elusive target. The bladesinger-ambassador from the Great Crag, who fights for a place at the high table. And an ever-changing operative, seeking to gain influence within the city itself. A diverse and unusual crew to be certain, but together you have proven highly effective. At Kleris' instruction, the very same table has been set aside in Jhory's Reprieve for you all to reconvene, discuss your findings, and finalize your plan for tonight's soiree.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-08 at 05:36 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

As they leave the place, the city is now lost in darkness; the cool breeze of late evening dances on Arimart's shoulders, as he and Kett prepare to go back to their homes, or what constitutes an acceptable substitution.

"Eh, I honestly have no idea. However, given the timing, I believe it could be related to each of us. As for the dwarf, I don't think house Kundarak has anything to do with it, since the description matches more a high standing member of the Aurum... I believe we will have to keep our eyes open, way more than before."

As he walks, the paladin thinks that he still doesn't trust this woman too much, but he may be ready to ask for her help, as she asked for his before.

"miss Kett, before we depart, I have a favour to ask you: it is probable that at tomorrow evening's party many of the magistrates will be present. If Magistrate Jarus I want to ask her about what happened in the Karrnathi zone. But... I have some... difficulties in telling lies from truth when she speaks. I know your attention will be on that Arano you're looking for, but if you could lend me a hand in... keeping an eye on her, that would be really appreciated."

After their conversation is over, the paladin leaves other questions for the next day, and goes back to his personal business.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~7 hour?), 6/6 Ki Remaining
    Gathering Info

Justice. A word that meant a lot of different things to a lot of different people. She glances back in the direction of the cell. Maybe the clanker was a bit more flexible than she thought. Maybe not. If Berick got the defender he wanted, he might well walk free. Kill a man, zero punishment. Most wouldn't say that was justice...but then that was her entire existence, so she wasn't exactly one to judge. What was her 'justice', she wonders idly. With her body count maybe the loss of Arano and Lia would be some karmic justice, but then what was their justice? Cycles upon cycles. Whatever it was, she thinks looking back at Arano, it certainly wasn't a law.

"If you want to date Jarus just tell her, you don't need me to play chaperone." Kett teases, but drops the tone back to serious just as quickly. "If it doesn't get in the way of the reason we're there, I'll lend my eyes and ears, but Arano - the deadly assassin? - takes precedent over a friendly chat. Don't forget that."

On her way back to her ship she shops around, and drops another five gold on some shoes and a bag to match the outfit. While she doubts she'll be the best dressed or best looking, she did intend to make an impression.

Collaboration

Another morning. The day of the party, come much too fast for a proper analysis. One she hoped they'd be able to attend, otherwise her dress would go unused - for now, at least. Perhaps she'd get to dance with Arano in it another time. She's rested and ready to go, though she still took time to give herself some vision enhancement before heading it. The faces of the others seemed...positive. Hopefully she wasn't misreading it.

"I'll begin with my adventures from yesterday. Didn't seem to be any entrances or exit save for the main gate, at least not above ground. I'm not ruling out an underground tunnel network for supply purposes but without a lot more time to check there's no chance we can find it from outside. It may be a potential escape route if it exists though. Even without added security it seems unlikely that all the deliveries of supplies and materials go through the front. Not unheard of, but unlikely."

"Surrounding walls are manned tight, which is good if we've got invitations and less good if we don't."
    Her eyes flicker to Arimart and Gryphon, but she continues on unabated. "It means causing a ruckus unless we've got a carefully planned solution is probably going to get us killed, which I'd like to avoid if at all possible. The 'help' always know more than the 'hosts' think, don't discount them as a source of information."

"Unfortunately before I could expand my sweep I ended up catching a tail. There were some minor problems I won't bore you with but the end result is that we found out some moneyed dwarf - possibly Kundarak, possibly Aurum, possibly something else - going by the name 'Quicksilver' had tails ordered on Arimart and his associates. Us, that is. Not clear why yet. 'Dark hair, beard, lots of jewellery' was the best description we got for him, but worth keeping an eye out at the party in case there's anyone hitting that description there. The man he hired was decent with a knife but not much else."

"That's about it for me. How'd the rest of you fare?"

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

Collaboration

Kleris whistles ashe hears Kett describe her day. The inclusion of another interested party of some sort is not great.

'This is what happens when you work behind the law. Without the framework of proper civilization behind you the exploits you and your companions continue to do will inevitably attract attention from rivals who aren't limitedni their actions against you.'

'Ya and doing all legally would slow down your ability to get anything done. It would make everything you try to do public knowledge and attract the attention of those within the system who can use it better then you. How bout you don't talk out your ass next time monk.'

'I will never stop trying to enlighten the souls around me you heathen!'

Kleris drowns them out and exhales loudly "Well my day was not as exciting as that for sure. However I do have presents for everyone. I'm like a Khorovar gifting spirit. Not just the gear I got from the market either, I met up with the Midnighters and got us all an extra set of papers with the information that you all specified. They should be here today before the party."

He takes out the various items everyone had requested and passes them around. He is already wearing his and has the various extra bits and bobs now arrayed on his person.

He then coughs loudly, obviously trying to attract attention back to him from the shiny new toys. "I do have another bit of news. I was approached by a councilmember actually. They were looking to engage our services to look into a situation down on the docks where someone has been kidnapping his agents."

He holds up his hands and gestures towards Kett "I obviously told them that we were busy currently and would look into it in a few days when we had time free up. Whether we do or not is obviously up to interest within our little group."
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-01-24 at 01:08 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

20. - Top - End - #530
    Troll in the Playground

As the first rays of dawn streak in through his bedroom window, and the sounds of the local bazaar being set up ring through the air, Gryphon wakes up after an almost indulgent night of sleep. Pushing himself out of the comfort of his bed, he checks to make sure “Jaunt” is hanging tight before dropping to the floor to begin his morning calisthenics. After an hour of stretching, push-ups, squats, leg-lifts, and dips he finishes covered in sweat and panting heavily.

After putting out a spot of food for “Jaunt”, the wizard spends a full 10 minutes looking in his mirror, checking his hair and stubble. Even as a half-elf, he found that he needed to shave once a week or so to keep cleanly shorn. Tsking at his reflection, he fills his washtub with water and brings its temperature to steaming hot with a wave of his hand. After meticulously shaving his slight stubble, Gryphon sighs dramatically to “Jaunt” and Spritz before using a combination of Prestidigitation and Shape Water to steam-strip the black dye, once more, out of his naturally honey colored hair.

Blonde, Black, Blonde, Black; you change your hair color more frequently then I shed my skin these days.

Continuity, Spritz, continuity. The humans that saw me at the Tribunal saw blonde hair. I’d love the luxury of looking like a serious magician everyday, but I need them to feel comfortable around me and that means looking friendly.

You’re going native. Sora Maenya would be ashamed.

Ignoring his familiar’s unsupportive comments, Gryphon finishes bringing his hair back to its natural color and screws his face up. If he was going to offer “Jaunt” as a gift to Lady Layla, he still needed to make sure his Prosecutorial friend had a gift to offer up as well. Digging through his bedroom closet for a few minutes, he retrieves a bottle he’d been given as a 15th birthday present gift from a visiting Night Hag.

Giving the bottle a final squeeze for comfort, he sets it next to “Jaunt”’s cage and sets about putting together an outfit for himself for the evening. Utterly refusing to put back on the white and gold outfit he wore to the Tribunal so recently, the style-conscious Khorovar choose a crimson tunic vaguely reminiscent of one worn by a military officer. A charcoal sash, ash hose, black boots, white gloves, and gold earrings with rubies complete his ensemble.

Checking himself in the mirror, making sure his outfit fits close to show off his hard-earned figure, he nods in approval at himself. Double checking the Alarms on his apartment, Gryphon draws an Unseen Servant into existence and directs it to pick up The Dream Bottle and “Jaunt”’s cage. Directing the servant to follow him, he trots down his staircase out his apartment.

There was a greater chance of Risia melting than there was of Gryphon traversing the dirty streets of Throneport on foot in his party outfit. Getting to the ground floor of his apartment, he holds his right hand out with the palm up, his left hand gripping his right wrist.

Inky matter from the plane of shadow streams into existence and slowly coalesces into a Phantom Steed, which he promptly mounts. He snaps his fingers and orders the servant to climb into the saddle behind him, still carrying the bottle and cage, and rides off to The Reprieve.

The young wizard shows up in the midst of Kett’s announcements. Striding into the bar, he rescues a pour of fortified wine for breakfast and orders his servant to take up a position near the fireplace (to keep Jaunt warm).

After Kleris passes out his goodies he receives his graciously. Thank you, Sir Kleris, the Ioun Stone I requested and a new bit of identification... Who is Hugh Mooman?

Turning to Kett, The arrangements have been made, we all have invitations to the soirée tonight, thanks to the burgeoning fame of our Prosecutor Kaessel. Ah, which reminds me, I was unable to find a suitable rabbit for you to present as a gift so I’ve procured something else for you to offer up. A bottled dream of Hope Achieved. Holding it close will fill it’s owner with comfort and the confidence that they can arrive at their goals.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-01-24 at 09:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Collaboration

Day after day the days seem longer and longer... many things happened yesterday, and Arimart wakes up with the feeling that many more are going to happen today and tomorrow.

As he travels to the Speckled Hen he reviews all the informations he got, joining his companions at their usual table.
    After Kleris gives him what he required, he balance the hammer, finding its wield perfect and definitely better than it was before. "Having it with me this evening will be difficult, and I really hope I won't be able to try its new stability at the party... or on our way out."

As Gryphon shows him the bottle, the paladin feels somewhat uneasy, but he considers it a good gift, especially after what they heard yesterday. As the pet is going to be. He may be new at it, but Gryphon does really know how to move in this kind of world.
    When all the others have spoken, Arimart adds his informations.

"As Gryphon already explained, we were able to obtain invitations. I decided to use our names, since false ones would have raised unnecessary suspects, especially if some of the magistrates are present. After miss Kett and I finished dealing with those 'minor problems' she told you about, I went to meet a friend, hoping to have some information about Solstice House security measures. Sadly, he was out of the city, but I was able to exchange some word with the soldiers at the barracks. apart from the Drakes and the guards we seen, there's a detachment of Knights of Thrane who's staying at Solstice House. Apparently, they've cine ti escort someone important to Throneport. I have no idea who that person could be, or if it can be related to our goals. But that means we have to be really careful."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-01-24 at 12:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"I can't commit to any plans until the Arano matter has been settled." It's an ambiguous answer, but that's because it was an ambiguous situation. If she found him and the situation permitted, they'd abscond from the city immediately and leave all of this behind. Steal Lia away in the night and be rid of all of it. That's if it went as she hopes. Things were rarely so uncomplicated. "But I'll keep it in mind," she adds, after the fact.

She takes the bottle from Gryphon and tries not to let her skepticism show. It sounded distinctly like he'd been swindled. Something that made you feel confident when you held it? She'd seen hustlers selling rubbish like that on streets aplenty. She turns it over in her hands, seeing if anything happens for her, but Kett tends to run confident in her normal headspace, so it doesn't do much for her. Might be a user error more than a defective product though. Either way, she slips it into a bag along with the tattoo tool that Kleris had acquired for her. She'd apply the tattoo later, in private where she could put it in an alluring but usually covered up location.

More and more prominent figures were gathering around this party it seemed. Idly, she considers that if someone were to bomb Solstice Hall like they had done the city before, it'd reshape the entire city. Boom, start over. "If they've got a detachment of knights just for them my guess is not-yet-in-power royalty of some sort. Hopefully not important to our goals, but it's good to know ahead of time."

"A lady's preparations for a party like this might take some time, so unless anyone's got anything else pressing to say or do, we should meet up outside the venue tonight?"

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

"As much as I'm not a fan of improvisation, I don't think that we have much choice; our planning can only go so far and I believe we have done all that we could. Unless anybody has some new idea, I'm fine with leaving things as they are and meet again for the party."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

As Kett attempts to make a swipe for the Dream Bottle, Gryphon holds it out of reach. Eeeeaaasy goes it, Madam Kett. I’m sure that tension is high, as we enter the final phase of uncovering of the child assassin that has so viciously wronged your family, but I brought this bottle specifically for our intrepid Prosecutor. If your heart was set on showing up with a gift for the young Lady Layla then I wish you’d have let me know.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett shrugs, letting her hand drop. No skin off her nose, she had something that'd work just as well. "I've got something on hand, I just wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. You should be clearer next time." She gives a slight, bemused, finger wag. She might have to sort out a suitable box or presentation for her gift. Tossing it out willy nilly was probably not the most polite way to do things.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Collaboration

Kleris nods along, everyone had been working hard yesterday and while they were not as prepared as was ideal they were still prepared enough to not feel like this was a failure waiting to happen. He nods along, he wasn't surprised that interest in Cricks problem was lukewarm. "Sounds good to me, I have a few things to prepare. I'll meet you guys in a few hours."

He had to prepare his new persona for its debut after all.

Personable Persona

Kleris breathes, it had been a few years since he had made a full persona. Ever since the Istren and Kleros debacle he had restricted his different forms to mere disguises, no personas for him. Now it had been a while since he really sunk into a new personality, building a history and motivation for a new person. He was sitting in the back of the inn, having told the staff to leave him alone for a while. This was something best done in isolation.

Breathe

Make the change. Skin ripples, bones lengthen, hair recedes, muscles expand, and finally scales rapidly growing along red skin. His body is changing quickly, it isn't a pain so to speak. The change felt like stretching a strained muscle or cracking your neck, kind of painful but also kind of good.

Breathe

The body is just part of the change though, arguably the easiest part of the change. You had to plan out the history, the personality, the dreams, hopes, desires, fears. You had to live it, you had to breathe it, you had to become it. Shemran was a proud dragonborn women from the Flamebrow Clan in Q'Barra, a proud representative of the dragonborn clans there. A lesser scion of the clan, while still being part of the main branch, she has the pride and arrogance of dragons. She was looking for connections for her clan, trade partners who will take their exotic trade goods in return for weapons, steel, and military resources. More importantly she was sent here to feel out support among the nobles of Thronport, and the other nations, of the possible rise of Dragonborn as a stronger political power in Q'Barra.

Breathe

Shemran stands up, she was dressed very inappropriately. A women of her station needed to show her wealth and power. She looks down at her outfit imperiously and snaps her fingers. Her outfit shimmers and changes, the plate armor doing likewise. After a few seconds she feels the new weight of her outfit weigh down on her. He looks herself up and down, front to back, and all over before snapping her fingers once more to create a full sized illusion of herself right in front of her.

Breathe

She looked good. Tall and slim with defined muscles that her vibrant red scales highlighted were the norm until you reached her eyes which were speckled with gold scales that set off her golden irises. The shiftweave became a knee length dark red dress to set off her lighter red scales, on the front it dipped into a sweetheart neckline while on the back it dipper down to show off her upper back and shoulders. The glamored armor became a series of ornaments, decorations, and jewelry all over her body. An ornamental engraved breastplate, that depicted dragonborn history for the last few millennia, attached by several dainty golden chains to her front. A large thick golden torc necklace decorated with golden claws. Ornamental bracers also covered with engravings like the ones on the breastplate. A steel chain underskirt attached just under the dress that went down several inches past the hem of the dress. Then a set of heels made out of steel. Finally she creates a fancy and delicate leather belt that hangs over her left hip that she attaches her longsword to.

Breathe

Its a high-class but martial look, pieces of armor and steel mixed with gold and high quality clothing. It looked perfect for someone from Q'Barra who was looking for aid in her martial land among the powerful nobility. She could probably use a fancier weapon but at the same time it was a bold statement about the gravity of armaments and armor.

Breathe

She nods to herself and dismisses the illusion "I'm ready"

After Inn

Kleris is standing in front of the inn staff, he had gathered them all in front of the bar and promised the few customers a free drink if they went out and wandered around for 10 minutes or so. He nods to Elise, "Thanks for gathering everyone.

He puts several of the objects that he had gathered onto the table. He picks up the first one and a piece of ammunition "What I have here is a Light Crossbow. There are three here, I'm going to store two under the bar and one into the back office space. I gathered some extra gear to store around the inn for defense. If another incident like a few days ago happens again then I want to make sure you can all defend yourselves. Its pretty basic; you pull back the string onto the small hook here, aim, and pull the trigger to fire the bow. This ammo here is not the standard bolts that is stored by the crossbows but instead a flaming bolt that breaks on impact and causes some burns in addition to the bolt damage. There are 16 so use them when you need to break out the crossbows."

He then pulls up one of the javelins he placed on the bar front. "This is a javelin. Pretty basic weapon, you throw it with the pointy end going to the target. You can also hold it and jab people with it. We have five here so I'm going to place two beside the office door, and three under the bar. Everyone is welcome to practice with the weapons out back but no fire bolts and please return them."

Finally he hefts a large purse with another 28gp, 100sp, and 500cp. "Finally, I'm leaving some extra money here for the inn. Like the money I left for running the inn yesterday this should be able to cover the casual expenses and make change and whatnot. The majority of it is to cover for 'greasing' fees for when you need to bribe someone for a juicy piece of information or give a few coins to someone you know in another area to get a few pieces of info. Elise will be in charge of covering the expenses dolled out and giving a couple coins to you when you come in with a good piece of information. Just for the record if anyone comes in with a good piece of information from the docks or about missing people then they will get a little bonus."

He nods and smiles to the staff as he casually chats with the staff, answering any questions they have.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gear at the Reprieve:
    - Elise (Assistant Manager)
    - Coins: 33gp, 200sp, 600sp
    - 5 Javelins
    - Light Crossbows x3, Fire Bolts x16

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

A Night to Remember

By dusk, you behold at last the fullness of the wonder that is Solstice House.

As storm clouds from the north leech away the last hopes of a proper sunset, you all arrive at the courtyard of the mansion. Even those of you who visited the site beforehand did not witness the edifice as it stands now - the muted features of marbled slate absorb the light emanating from a dozen floating lanterns above the outer grounds, which only heightens the contrast with the burnished metal accents in the by-now distinct Flamite style that adorn the pillars and curl over the archways. Each decoration reflects the glow as though it were a mirror in miniature. The stained glass, which once saw only the face of the sun, now provide occasional glimpses of more elaborate displays within. If you strain their ears while standing on the gravel drive, you might hear the echoes of music.

The other big change is, of course, the multitude of people. Both the outer gates and the front doors to the house lie ajar for the steady stream of guards, livery-men, porters, servers, and guests. By the looks of things, you have arrived closer to the end of the rush, but none of you are the last to step onto the grounds. The sentries and other Thrane staff are busy organizing the arrivals, escorting the procession of carriages and show-horses past the cordon of steel and the pair of snarling guard drakes to the gallery steps leading up towards the doorway. There, each arrival speaks to the waiting ir'Sencriss' seneschal and is led into the hall beyond, but not before being given an unusual object.

Soon enough, it is your turn to ascend the stairs. Upon your ascent, you are greeted by the steward himself. Vencyl Ghastor is in fine form, the man's filled out profile managing to look elegant in an understated jacket and cloak over some fitted armor. He carries a rod at his side, and as each of you approach he asks for your name for his assistant to check for your invitation.

"Greetings, gentlemen and lady," the majordomo intones upon verifying who you are, "and welcome to Solstice House. Before your entry, the host would politely ask that you accept a peacebond for your weapons." Snapping his fingers, another servant produces a skein of coiled platinum silk that burns with an inner radiance. Doing a quick scan of your group, his gaze lands squarely on Arimart first as the most prominent weapon-wielder among you. "If you present your armaments here, we can have them bonded. I assure you that no harm will come to any magical or material workings, but the weapons will be quite useless until the bond is removed, which will occur at evening's end."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A peacebond is a magical item that prevents any weapon or wand from being used to deal damage. The silk can be broken with a high enough Strength check or it can be dispelled using Dispel Magic, but either attempt to do so will automatically alert the peacebond's owner that the magic is being tampered with.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-01-27 at 06:10 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~7 hour), 6/6 Ki Remaining

Kett was feeling suitably fancy for tonight's soiree, and no small amount of that was due to her dress that had come out exactly as envisioned. Disregarding seasonal concerns entirely she has opted for a dress evocative of a Frostfell night on a full moon. A high collar, long sleeve (to cover up her bracers) dress with a deep, thin v-neck stretching from her collarbone to just above the belly button. The dark blue/black colour marked by tiny glimmering stars at its peak steadily works its way down into a moonlit-ice white at the trailing hem that covers her feet. She'd even gone for a white-furred edge around the cuffs to accentuate the effect. The high collar serves a second function though, it covers the wolf-claw tatto that she'd picked up from Kleris. The long hem helps to disguise the fact she has skipped out on heels and instead gone for more efficient flats. She can still show leg, or occasionally the glimmer of jeweled shoe, but she wouldn't have to worry about running in heels or discarding the pricey shoes and going barefoot in the event of a sudden getaway.

While she normally keeps her hair tied with a single hairband in a wide ponytail, tonight she's eschewed the band in favour of three parrallel braids sweeping over one side of her head to keep it out of her face, with the rest slightly curled and loose, letting it fall in waves down her back. She tried to make it a rule not to attend events like this in the same style more than once - she rarely got the chance and it seemed a waste to stick with only a single style, so this northern theme was new to her. She finds it rather tasteful dislike it though.

The ensemble is completed by a small pursebag in a matching style, containing only the barest of essentials. She has left her daggers at 'home', of course, but brought her thieves tools concealed with her makeup, along with the truth serum in a small furnished case as a gift. She hopes there wouldn't be a need to use the tools, but you never knew.

She makes sure on their way in to catch the eye of the guard who'd 'helped' her yesterday and gives him a smile and a brief nod of acknowledgement. She can't imagine he thought she'd be back, and certainly not looking like this. Without any weapons for bonding however she simply stands to one side for Arimart and the others, keeping an eye on the other guests with an air of mild curiosity about her as she waits to be waved inside.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Preparing for the evening was a well received break from Arimart usual duties: he couldn't even remember the last time he took part to an important feast like this one. Sure, he was there to possibly crash it hard while looking for a suspect assassin thief in the mansion of a dangerous ambassador with many ties with the worst criminal underworld, but you don't look a gift magebred in the mouth.

Arimart couldn't help but keep his armor, since it can work well both as a protective item and as a parade clothing: the polished strips of metal are capable of reflecting the lights in a room, usually lightening up the colours of its surrounding fabric, creating a pleasurable contrast with the dark brown of the leather backing. He wears a blue coat with golden buttons and dark brown sylized motives recalling those of the Brelish coat of arms. His trousers are black, and covered by reinforced boots of the same colour, starting under the knee.

On his neck, a necklace showing the symbol of Thrane, similarly made as the one on his shield, which he hangs on his back, acting like an improvised mantle covering the weapon (and showing up the colors of Thrane).
    He keeps his new warhammer on the back, with elaborated engravings on the head and a Griffin mouth with a red jewel in it, at the end of the handle, accepting the peacebond when offered to him.

"Well met, master Ghastor, me and my friends feel much obliged to thank you for you quickness in preparing our invitations and, for what I can see, for your fabolous taste in the organization of this party."

As he greets the majordomo, Arimart prepares to enter and looks around for known faces.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon elects to ride, rather than walk, to the Thranish maison. Better to avoid the street grime that can accumulate on one’s clothes when trudging about on foot, and the young wizard fully intended on looking immaculate upon arrival. Wearing the crimson tunic, white hose, black leather boots that reach his thighs, and white gloves he’s picked out this morning, all cut as snuggly as possible to show off his figure, he eschews any cloak or coat for protection from the evening climate, instead relying on an application of Prestidigitation to suffuse his ensemble with warmth. Likewise avoiding the Kuffiyeh he typically dons to house Spritz, he wears his emerald tree boa openly around his shoulders as a noblewoman might sport a stole.

Maintaining an Unseen Servant to tote his caged present (with a sheet draped over it) for the birthday girl, Gryphon arrives at the party without so much as a dagger on him for arms. He passes his Phantom Steed off to a house groom. The half-elf looks his three compatriots up and down, nodding in approval at their choices in couture. My, look at what an elegant quartet we make. Could we really be the same group that slogged through a tavern brawl a mere handful of days ago?

As the group waits for its turn to be admitted, Gryphon comes up with a final bit of magic to enhance his mien. Placing his left pointer finger on his forehead, he closes his eyes and concentrates a moment. Drawing his finger down to the bridge of his nose, before snapping his whole hand out in front of him with all his fingers clasped in a tight grip, sparks of electricity race around his body as he completes his casting of Disguise Self.

At first it looks as though nothing has changed about his appearance. The change become apparent when Gryphon tries out several intense displays of emotion. He indulges in a warm, heartfelt grin and his entire outfit lightens and glows softly. His crimson tunic softening to almost pink, his white gloves positively shining. He tries out a stern look of reproach and everything darkens to almost black, his tunic taking on the color of dried blood, little rivulets of illusory smoke trailing of his body.

When the party gets to the front gate, he greets the steward with his typical placid, superior smile. Ah, Mr. Ghastor, what a rare treasure to see you again so soon. I trust your dreams have been nothing but pleasant since we last met.