New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

"Around these parts," Kett pauses for emphasis, "you make friends with everyone if you wanna stick around." She keeps her tone neutral - there's no condescension intended, just a statement of fact. "A man walks in this place dressed like..." She gestures to his ensemble getup, ending with pointing at his hammer, "all of this? I figured you'd be an important friend to make. So since I'm done gambling for the night, I'm at your service." Kett pauses again, and drinks the last of her mug while maintaining constant eye contact with the paladin.

"As a friend." The sly smirk that has just the hint of a promise of flirtation is back.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart smiles slightly at Kett words, his first sign of relax in the whole evening.

"Well, in that case... I can ask you for help, instead of directions: In a couple of minutes I'll have to go out for a while, if you can keep an eye on the people around here, looking for anyone who may follow me, and follow them if needed, that would be really appreciated. And I'll pay you 5 Galifars for the effort."
    Does this poster have a sign?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raz

Giving Kett the chance to answer first, he thereafter signals his own interest in such a deal:

"Add another five dead kings and you have four eyes watching your back." Raz offers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As discussed on discord, Kett wikk go first, and he adds it. I just wanted to post now to safe some time.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-05-17 at 05:38 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Kett considers the offer - it'd mean letting him out of her sight, which wasn't the ideal, but if he was being followed then the other trackers might have crossed purposes with Arano. Another lead. Finally, a path she wanted to follow. "Agreed." She says with a smile. "Anyone looks like they're on your tail, I'll keep an eye on 'em."

She still isn't sure what to think of Raz, but he might be useful, so after he follows up with his offer she nods in agreement, hoping it might give some influence on Arimart's decision making.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon maintains his position at the doorway enjoying the reprieve from he overwhelming smell of people the bar oozed with. So many people dog-piling to get the paladin’s coins and attention he needed to try a different angle to achieve his ends.

For the time being that meant keeping an ear on the back and forth from the bar and being ready to act as soon as the next step in this dance was taken.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris shrugs at the Paladin and nods respectfully "Well I can tell when I'm overstaying my welcome. Good evening Sir Arimart. Feel free to call on me at the 13th moon, a bar in the Aundair section. Tell someone your looking for Orlan and then Orlan wil let me know. I'm a pretty good listener and can usually help my friends some way or another."

He steps away from the bar, returning to his table for a second to finally have a glass from his pitcher and a few mouthfuls of dinner. Now with a few seconds he considers what to do next 'You should have left those fools in the dark, not left with an offered hand for the future. They can scramble in the filth of ignorance.'

'That was the right move. Burning bridges helps no one and tending to them can grant all sorts of benefits and friendships. You really need more people in your life Kleris. A gang leader and a few of her henchmen is not a successful and helpful social circle.'

He ignores them both with a long practiced ease though Kleros makes him smile slightly. He glances to the warforged again and makes a decision.

The half elf grabs his pitcher again and walks over to the construct, grabbing a chair and sitting down at the table. "Greetings friend, mind if I join you? I couldn't help but notice your interest in the bar. One I share myself. Mind if I join you in a little observation and speculation?"

He eyes the warforged speculativly, trying to see if anything sticks out.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Persuasion: (1d20+7)[10]
    Perception: (1d20+5)[16]
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-05-17 at 03:13 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Those of you still seated around a table discussing the matter of the note are left in peace to discuss your plans. With the group lessened from five back down to three, the space around you widens, giving you all a better view of your surroundings. The odd patron leaves or enters - the mark of a modest spring evening's business - but all told, there aren't too many changes around here since the incident with the divination spell. Of course, there is also the matter of the note, but nobody seems to be paying the armored paladin much attention anymore.

Over by the far end of the bar and the door, Kleris sidles up next to the warforged stranger and makes his pitch. Gryphon - being less than ten paces from the conversation - can clearly hear the exchange, as the construct swivels its head nearly ninety degrees. As it moves, the sound of a heavy clank can be heard as a pendant falls against its breastplate: a clawed gauntlet covered in blades. What's more, the ragged cloth that it was wearing as a cloak slips off and tumbles to the floor, revealing a hulking figure that's more spikes than not. It pushes back on its stool, standing to its full height.

"You move your lips as though the words that pass through them have meaning. If you were wise, you would leave this place now. Violence does not suit the timid and the talkers."

It's at that moment that both Gryphon and Kleris pick up on a new sound from outside the front doors: the slow, ever-closer march of steel on stone.

Spoiler: Religion DC 12
    Show
    Although they aren't especially well known or even that common in places other than in the countries around the Mournland, there have been whispers all across Khorvaire of a particularly brutal cult of warforged worshiping one of their own kind since even before the Treaty of Thronehold was signed by the Five Nations. These warforged are known as the followers of the Lord of Blades, simply called 'Blades' themselves.

Most people who listen to the stories believe that this fanatical prophet is gathering an army in the Mournland itself. Stories abound his zealous attendants and apocalyptic speeches, promising death to the fleshborn and ascendancy of all those born in a Cannith creation forge. Little is known about the whereabouts, current activity, or even appearance of the Lord of Blades, but even those skeptical of the existence of this cult know that his symbol has become synonymous with hatred, aggression, and warforged supremacist movements all across the continent.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-18 at 09:55 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

All three mental voices are in unison for once, Oh ****, Blades.

Kleris rises quickly, taking a step back from the warforged and quickly drawing his shield but holding back on the sword until he does what he had in mind.

His hand brushes into a pouch at his side, touching a small package of honeycomb and snake tongue. His eyes flash as his next words come out layered with power. "You will tell me what is about to happen, your roll in it, and your name. Then you will leave and tell whoever is coming to follow you to the docks where the real suspects are and go there"

After the spell Kleris will quickly draw his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleris is casting Suggestion on the warforged with a DC of 15 and asking for a Wis save.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon peers out into the night With his half-elven eyes to try and spot the source of the clattering sounds.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20+3)[22]

Gryphon has Darkvision

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

From her spot, she had a perfect eyeline of the warforged's revealed form. With that, a sword being drawn and another spell being cast, Kett considers it may be time to leave. She also wished she'd kept at least one dagger on her rather than leaving everything back on the boat. Live and learn. Hopefully, anyway. "Five gold would be nice an'all," Kett says, "but it ain't much good if I can't spend it. This the sorta business you deal with?" Her question's directed at Arimart, of course. She tries to maintain a semi-casual demeanour of one who's seen a bar brawl regularly, but she can feel herself tensing up. The anticipation of the first physical blow was rising. She unconsciously tapped her fingers on the table, trilling a fast steady beat. Talking was one thing, but defending herself while not giving away her skillset would be more tricky.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #41

Raz

Why can't my guts be wrong for at least once!
    Raz curses in thought as he sees the events unfold. His left darts to his pack standing next to him, his right found the grip of his blade. Calm down, you idiot, this is not your fight.

"Looks like someone tickled a dragon," he mutters lowly, and looks to Arimart. "If I'm correct that fellow just casted a spell on a war veteran... Don't see too many ways of this going well." He speaks lowly, and focused, his eyes darting between the front and back door. "Do you still want to go through with your plan?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

As Kett accepted his offer and the shifter called Raz doubled on it, Arimart thought that, maybe, the evening was going toward a better direction; then Kleris caught his attention. Well, not Kleris, but the large warforged armed to the teeth on whom Kleris just tried to cast a spell on.

"Plan?" He leans his head at Raz, still keeping his eyes on Kleris and the warforged. "Let's just say that I accept your proposal; but for now my plan is to see what those two intend to do. Whatever it is, I don't want to see unnecessary bloodshed."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Testing your Mettle

The music has stuttered and died silently as once more, a single figure becomes the center of the inn's attention. You are hardly the first to give the warforged warrior any mind, but the metal figure only has eyes for Kleris as the cad murmurs his incantation, complete with honey and other sundry material components. The soldier doesn't break eye contact with the 'man' standing in front of him, which is admittedly pretty easy when you don't have to blink.

"Shame," the spiked veteran replies, "you had your chance to run. Now it's a question of steel."

Gryphon is the first to see them: a small column of four more armored figures under a series of clothes and vestments that can't really conceal the metal that lurks beneath it. They round the corner and approach the dockside landing without breaking stride, although the bladesinger sees one of them pause and nod at a figure standing not far away in guard's livery. The guard promptly turns and stands looking out at the water, humming to himself. Then they're through the doors, shouldering the half elf to one side and taking up the entire entryway. They've all got their cloaks off now, and through some unspoken signal one of them goes to close and bar the doors.

"Hey there, what in the name of... what'd you think you're doing, you cogs? This bar ain't for your kind!" Jhory is barely below shouting volume, his jowls jobbing as he grabs a big axe that was hanging below the bar's counter. Several other drinkers are on their feet, hands going for their weapons at the obvious threat.

One of the warforged steps forward. This one is slightly larger than the others, its metal carapace blackened as though through a complete application of soot. Its face has been forged into a twisted snarl, and it slowly unsheathes a truly massive sword from its place between its shoulder-blades. Just like the agent sent in earlier, this one bears a stylized signet of a clawed gauntlet on its breast. "The Lord of Blades says that the warforged were built to rule Eberron," the living construct rumbles, "if that's true, then everywhere is for our kind. Put down your weapons, and we'll make sure that nobody dies tonight."

Show
    Roll20 Map

Well here we go, the start of what may well become your first combat! I've updated the map to reflect the current position of all those warforged currently in the bar, as well as the patrons. Allons-y!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-19 at 03:05 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Oh Shavarath!

Gryphon watches as the troupe of Warforged march down the street and makes a quick mental note of what the guard who lets them pass looks like. He steps out of their way as they file in the door and sighs deeply as he watches them bar the entryway.

With every word the large sword owning Warforged utters Gryphon could feel the stress levels in the bar rise to the point of almost erupting physically. His eyes dart from the gargantuan sword the Leader unsheathes; to the ax in Jhory's hands; to the patrons of the bar as they finger the handles of their personal armaments. This is going to be a bloodbath...

Before another anyone has the chance to commit any atrocities Gryphon steps out in front of the inorganic posse. Wait! Stop. Don't start this fight. He says to the Warforged leader. These people aren't going to hand over the bar without violence. Even if you kill everyone here, think of the reprisals that will be taken out on warforged across the city and across Khorvaire! Think of how many of your people with suffer at the hands of humanoids looking for revenge.

Please, Please, don't choose this fight.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-05-19 at 05:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group of warforged enter the room after Kleris failed spell, the paladin leaves the table, and steps beside Gryphon as he is speaking.

As the younger half-elf tries to appeal to the more empathetic side of the group, Arimart, who, after they identified themselves as followers of the Lord of Blades, knows that they look way outside their usual grounds, reasons that maybe remembering them the laws of this city may convince the living constructs to leave this place.

"As my fellow Khoravar has said, there is no need for violence, and I really hope that you want to reconsider your actions. If this man has wronged you now," he says, pointing at Kleris, "Know that I've seen his ill-conceived attempt at casting. He will be fined, according to the standing laws of Galifar, and I, as an agent of the law of this city, can assure you that I'll take personal care in the matter."
    Arimart stops for a moment, then moves his hand toward the handle of his hammer, changing his tone, in a more menacing way.
    "But it means that this man is now under mine protection, and no harm will be done to him, or to any other of the presents here.
    If your intent is to make known your cause, I will be happy to show you the way to the neutral zone; else, I strongly suggest that you explain your intentions quickly and leave even faster, or you will all discover that the Law of Galifar knows no bounds, nor its enforcers do."

Spoiler: Intimidation attempt
    Show

Let's roll! (1d20+6)[13]

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris swallows down a nice deep gulp as he sees more warforged filter into the bar, and his sphincter is tightened to High Priest of the Sovereign Host confronted with the Traveler levels, when the they lock the door and the big one pulls out a sword as big as he is. He takes several breathes and tries to calmly look at the situation... and fails.

Luckily the warforged was not paying as much attention to him as they were the whole bar. He listens to the others speaking, stating their beliefs, their desires, and their morals. 'These are people and they won't resort to violence if they are treated with respect. Just try to sp-

Kleris cuts of the voice of Kleros, this was not what he needed. These warforged were ready for violence and followers of the Lord of Blades would have no issues killing hjim and everyone here. He needed someone used to the seedier part of mortal desire and manipulation, Istren. These metal basterds aren't here for us. They don't care about anyone in this bar and if they did want to murder their way through a bunch of fleshlings they wouldn't start in a random bar in Throneport. No... they want something, just like any crazy zealot with a mission they will do anything to get it. Give it to them and they may leave you alive.'

Kleris nods and glances around the bar, seeing everyone here. He shakes his head for a second and pipes up with an appraising look in his eyes, "No I don't think you care about me and the spell. I don't think you care about killing every person in this bar either or what that may mean. No... you want something from someone or your looking for someone. I think you may find what your looking for easier with a few questions then excessive violence where your target may escape or worse, die, before you get what you want. We can all of us put away our weapons and have a nice calm LEGAL chat. Maybe step outside to keep everyone happy?"

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

(1d20+7)[22]
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-05-19 at 06:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The entire ground floor of the Speckled Hen seems to take a breath when the trio of Gryphon, Kleris, and Arimart begin to speak. The warforged standing with their weapons ready look to their leader, who honestly stops to listen when shouted at. The words that follow seem to fall on unwilling ears, however, as the leader is stone silent until after everyone has spoken their peace.

"We will not make deals for people or rules of a society that has cast us aside in all but name. Our kind work as little better than slaves in Karrnath and Thrane, we are denied entry into society for our lack of flesh, and we are told every day that we are soulless abominations." When the leader speaks, it is not quiet guilt, quavering hesitation, or sly self-interest in his voice: it is the adamant sound of a machine unwilling to compromise. The final offer that Kleris made doesn't even seem to faze him, as he flicks the man a single contemptuous look before returning his gaze to the room as a whole.

"We are not here because of greed or vengeance. Instead, we bring a message: Galifar was looking for a monster, a creature to lurk in the shadows. If that role is what the continent requires, then we will play it."

Seeing that the time for talk is over, the last of the construct soldiers raise their weapons and pull out shields, creating a small formation and moving in to attack!

Spoiler: OOC - Start of Combat
    Show
    Updated Roll20 Map

Right, so we are officially in combat now! The map that we had set up is a good indicator of the current battlefield. The lighting is currently fine in the inn, but the tables and stools are difficult terrain to cross (as is going through anyone who isn't an ally). Opportunity attacks might also arise from movement at this point.

I've rolled Initiative now, and thankfully everybody but Arimart beat out the enemy troops! It turns out that slow armored threats don't have amazing reaction times; who knew? What that means is that each of you except for CozJa is free to post their Round 1 actions. You don't have to wait for turn order, I will resolve that in either the order you post or in whatever order is most beneficial to you.

Usually, I am pretty lenient on requests about delaying within an allied block like a party for the sake of posting momentum. Then the enemies and NPCs will go and I'll do a 'Round 1 OOC' post. Finally, anyone who lost Initiative (just Arimart this time) will post their Round 1 actions while everyone else can post Round 2 actions. That way, we'll settle into a block that is easy to keep track of.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-19 at 07:11 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon closes his eyes for just a moment longer than a blink. He concentrates on the feeling of being in his body and exhales slowly. When he opens his eyes he can see the flow on magic in the world that encircles and connects all living things. The Bladesong begins.

Gryphon turns his body so that his left side is facing the crowd of violent automata and lightning begins to crackle in his right hand.

You think you can handle being a monster for these people? To be the thing that lurks in the darkness? You have no idea what a monster really is!

As the words leave Gryphon's lips he whips his right hand up in front of himself and it erupts in cascades of blindingly hot blue lightning that wash over the warforged leader and the two behind him.

Show
    Bonus Action: Begin Bladesong
    Action: Cast Lightning Bolt: (8d6)[26] Lightning Damage DC 15 Dex for Half

If anything dangerous looks like it's gonna hit him he casts Shield as his reaction
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-05-19 at 07:42 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris pulls deeper into Istren, pulling deep from his experience of fighting battles in the city of Passage. He eyes the lead Warforged and hefts his sword and shield, sliding deeper into a crouch to fight. He glares at the warforged and the rest, 'This is why you wear your armor at all times moron. Trying to fit in and be understated is asking to be shanked and left in an alley. Keep your shield up so you don't get stabbed.'

He starts to chant, his eyes burning a deep red as his holy symbol trembles with the power in his words. "My lord travels through the deeps and the wilds, though he travels far his will shall shield me from harm.

A shimmering field covers him in a transparent dark red shield. Then he lashes forward with his longsword, he grunts out a rough yell as it covers in another red field. Crashing down with a loud smash.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kleris uses Shield of Faith as a bonus action, gaining +2 AC for a total of 17. Then he uses a standard action to attack the lead warforged with his longsword, using a level 2 spell slot to smite if it hits.

To Hit: (1d20+7)[13]
    Damage: (4d8+4)[23]

If Kleris is attacked then he will use his reaction to use Shield
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-05-19 at 07:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

"Traako." Kett silently cursed to herself in elven. So much for diplomacy. If they were intent on killing everyone here that'd close off every lead she had. And also kill her. That too. She stands and slowly drags her chair from her table to in front of Jhory at the bar. It's a slow movement, steady and tense, almost like she's not intending on getting involved at all. Then, with a yell and a spin she launches it at the head warforged. "If you clankers're going to bring a fight to this here place, you better be ready to fight us all, 'cos we ain't going down easy, ain't that right lads!?" She turns to her previous gambling buddies - sailors could probably hold themselves in a brawl, and better to get them fighting now than waiting. "Lets show these gear heads a real brawl!"

Spoiler
    Show

Chair attack: (1d20+4)[9]
    Chair damage: (1d4+4)[6] (DM could rule it a different damage dice but I'm erring on the side of caution here).

Potential persuasion roll if required oh god I hope it doesn't fail she'll look like such an idiot (1d20+2)[13]
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-05-20 at 04:36 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #51

Raz

While the others are following through with their persuasive advances to diffuse the situation, Raz starts to unroll the pack under the table, and clips the quiver to his belt. When combat breaks out, he is ready to attack, and does so without any loud announcements but the verbal invocation of a spell. He moves to a spot from which he can attack the leader and fires three arrows in quick succession.

Show

Move: see Discord discussion
    Bonus: Casting Hunter's Mark choosing leader

All attacks at advantage - first two are at disadvantage from Warforged teamwork --> first two normal.
    Damage with longbow is 1d8+3 dex +4 favored enemy humanoid and constructs +1d6 hunter's mark.

Att1 = Normal attack --> nat 1 --> miss
    Att2 = Extra attack --> AC 24, if hits, 18 damage.
    Att3 = Gloom Stalker extra attack on first round. --> nat 20 --> crit --> 38 damage.

Att1 - (1d20+8)[9] for Dmg1 - (1d8+7)[9] plus Hunter1 - (1d6)[4]

Att2 - (1d20+8)[24] for Dmg2 - (1d8+7)[12] plus Hunter2 - (1d6)[6]

[roll=Att3]2d20b1+8[/roll] nat 20, see OOC for Dmg3 - (1d8+7)[15] plus Gloom - (1d8)[4] plus Hunter3 - (1d6)[6]

Spoiler: If required Crit damage
    Show

Att1: CritDamage1 - (1d8)[6] plus CritHunter1 - (1d6)[6]
    Att2: CritDamage2 - (1d8)[4] plus CritHunter2 - (1d6)[2]
    Att3: CritDamage3 - (1d8)[4] plus CritHunter3 - (1d6)[2] plus CritGloom - (1d8)[7]

Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-05-20 at 06:39 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

The warforged at the front of the entrance barely have time to spring into motion before a few demonstrations of your capabilities tear their ranks. First - and loudest - is Gryphon's reply, as the mage nimbly weaves his way into position while completing an incantation with his free hand. Suddenly, the very air reeks of rain and a blinding white light explodes into existence: a stroke of lightning crashes through the lead figure and several of his soldiers, ripping through their metal armor with ease. When the glow fades, it leaves many bits of tarred and half-melted plates behind.

But it's the next member of your team who proves to swing the battle sharply in your favor. Before anyone can even react to the outbreak of battle, Raz's unslung bow is out and nocked. Three arrows outpace the lightning, and two of them find their mark. The first catches the leader in the upper chest, leaving a serious dent in the outer plating and knocking his head down... in time for the ranger's last projectile to catch him right at the base of the neck. There is an immediate, horrific shrieking sound as the inner workings of the warforged fail and it collapses to the floor lifelessly.

"Claymore is down!" you hear one of the soldiers say, as they exchange a single glance before moving in tandem. It's obvious by the way their shields cover each other's flanks that this unit of warforged has trained together before. Wary now, they know exactly how to protect against oncoming threats, as the table that Kett throws and Kleris' attack both meet nothing but unrelenting steel. They begin to file out around the body of their fallen leader with quiet methodical motions, unleashing a flurry of swings with their armblades at the closest threats: Kleris and Gryphon. Twin panes of magical force leap up around both adventurers at nearly the same time, protecting them from all but one opportune swing.

Then it's bedlam, and those in the bar that aren't running for the stairs to hide upstairs are charging into the fray. No one is quicker than Jhory himself, who somehow manages to haul his gut over the counter of the bar to land squarely at Kleris' side. Then there comes a shout from one of the patrons who has stuck around to fight: "They're at the back too!" Stealing a glance behind you, you spot no less than three more warforged in the same general garb and livery having burst through the door that leads out to the back alley. There's a fourth construct out there on the street, but it looks like it's in the middle of fighting someone else.

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

So... Raz straight up murdered the leader and Gryphon hit two others for a decent chunk of damage. Of course, they have some more reinforcements coming from the other end of the inn (through the back alley, in point of fact ). They only managed to land one hit on a PC this round, hitting Kleris for 8 damage.

As of now, everyone save Arimart has acted on Round 1, so all of you except for him can all post your Round 2 actions. I'll resolve Arimart's Round 1 action first though.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-21 at 05:12 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

"When it rains, it pours." She mutters to no one in particular. Her buddies from before seemed to have joined the fight against the newly entered warforged. After watching Raz feather one to death in a single volley, she turns, gives him a quick reassuring pat on the shoulder before dashing off to the three. She slots in between the two, squaring up against one that they already seem to have damaged. "We get out of this, next round's on me, yeah?" She tries to reassure them. She takes a step forward, and for a moment she's not in the Speckled Hen at all, she's not even in Throneport. The din and chaos washes away into birdsong and wind gently blowing through the trees. She's back home, in the training room doing drills with her father-in-law. Every morning for hours on end, turning her into the tool that the house - that her family - needed her to be. The serenity lasts for barely a flash before she snaps back to reality and lashes out, grasping for her opponent's arm. With a step forward she hooks one leg behind her opponent's and pushes with her free hand against his face, trying to floor the heavy monster.

Regardless of success she hops back for the follow up, thrusting out first with a right hook and then carrying that momentum into a spinkick.

Spoiler
    Show

Attempting to Shove the injured warforged in front of Kett prone: (1d20+4)[13] vs. his athletics or acrobatics (whichever's better or more flavourful).
    Extra attack: (1d20+7)[18](1d20+7)[16](1d6+4)[6]
    Burning 1 ki-point (5 remaining) for Flurry of Blows: (1d20+7)[20](1d20+7)[13](1d6+4)[10]

If he does end up prone and they don't burn a reaction, attacking with advantage. If they burn a reaction and he's not prone I guess it's disadvantage, and if a mixture of the two then just disregard the second roll?
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-05-20 at 05:23 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Watching as the inn becomes a battlefield, Arimart observes the warforged moving as one unit, understanding that they may count on companionship and a battle training of some sort. As he thinks, a couple of arrows cleave through the air and stick into the one who seemed in charge, who falls down lifeless.
    Without losing time, the half-elf takes his hammer and shield out, moves as fast as he can and walks over the motionless body of the fallen warforged;
    with a move as fast as his thought, he swings against his enemies; he tries to hit the nearer warforged with a swing of his hammer, then, he shouts: "Silver Flame guide my hand!", his eyes become bright as a candle and the head of the hammer shimmers with a white flaming light, as he prepares to strike again.

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

First Attack against the wounded warforged between him and Kleris; if it dies, the second attack is a smite against the one in front of Arimart with full health. If he misses or the wounded warforged survives the first attack, he will smite him instead.
    (1d20+7)[17] damage: (1d8+4)[9]
    (1d20+7)[15] damage (3d8+4)[25]

25. - Top - End - #55

Raz

He slightly winces seeing the tall Warforged collapse under his swift attack, feeling a rush coming over him that he has not felt for ... quite some time. Hearing the shouts from the other end of the inn, seeing Kett dashing past him, he decides to leave the entry area melee be. He instead hustles towards the back door, focuses on the invader next to the stairs, and fires two arrows at them.

Show

Movement: See roll20.
    Bonus Action: Refocus Hunter's Mark to the Warforged next to the stairs.
    Attack + Extra Attack: I'll roll two dice each in case they are at disadvantage. Damage includes +3 dex +4 favored enemy.
    Att1 - (1d20+8)[20], Att1IfDisadvantage - (1d20+8)[16], for Dmg1 - (1d8+7)[13] plus Hunter1 - (1d6)[6]
    Att2 - (1d20+8)[26], Att1IfDisadvantage - (1d20+8)[23], for Dmg2 - (1d8+7)[10] plus Hunter2 - (1d6)[5]

If required crit damage:
    Att1: CritDamage1 - (1d8)[2] plus CritHunter1 - (1d6)[6]
    Att2: CritDamage2 - (1d8)[2] plus CritHunter2 - (1d6)[3]

Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-05-20 at 06:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris grunts as his strike is blocked completely. His teeth grit and he has to struggle as Istren howls inside his mind, his body yearning to turn back to the human shape Istren inhabited. He had not gone this deep into one of his past personalities for some time and it was hard, but it was working. He sees Arimart smash the Warforged in front of him and focuses on him, he reaches deep within. Into that ball of hot vengence burning within him and linking his soul to another, "Suffer the cost of your transgressions."

The light fluctuates around the warforged for a second as Kleris' eyes flash a deep red again, then his swords hammers down flashing with light once more as he attempts to smite the injured warforged.

Spoiler
    Show

Kleris uses Hexblades Curse as a bonus action against the Warforged in front of him, the one Arimart struck at.

He then attacks the Warforged with his longsword, smiting with a second level spell if he hits. With the Curse he crits on a 19+

Roll: (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage: (4d8+7)[32]

He will use his reaction to use shield again if attacked.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon's resolve doesn't waiver as the sword strikes directed towards him deflect off his magical shield of force. His eyes do pop wide and he can't help but take an involuntary look back as a stream of arrows fly over his shoulder and brutalize the warforged directly in front of him. That came out of nowhere! Better make a note of that shifter's skill..

There were still so many of these zealots in front and Gryphon hears what sounds like another group out back. This could go on for while. I need to be more economic with magic.

As he thinks those words he draws his right hand from his left side across his body till his arm is completely outstretched to his right. He curls his fingers into a grip and as he does so an Ivory Longsword handle materializes in his hand. As soon as he closes his hand entirely on the handle, a blade of energy so dark purple it's almost black bursts forth.

He follows the rhythms of the flow of magic around himself and stays in the bladesong. He comes in low and strikes twice at the warforged directly to his right with his energy blade, attempting to bring down his opponents as quickly as possible.

Show

Gryphon casts Shadow Blade out of a 3rd level slot as his bonus action.

He has advantage on all attacks with it due to the dim lighting.

He attacks the warforged in the corner next to him twice. Assuming that protection is use to cancel out advantage to just being a normal attack, he makes the second attack with advantage. If by some miracle, the first attack drops the warforged his second attack is against the other warforged he is adjacent to. Once again, if anything dangerous is about to hit him he casts Shield.

First Attack: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[23] Psychic Damage
    If Crit Extra Damage: (3d8)[21]

Second Attack: Best of: (1d20+5)[15]
    (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[15] Psychic Damage
    If Crit Extra Damage: (3d8)[11]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

The pitched battle at the front doors of the inn reaches a crescendo as Arimart enters the fray. The armored knight fills the gap in between Gryphon and Kleris, bringing his hammer down on his foe at the side of unlikely allies. Unfortunately, the group's assault proves less successful than either half-elf might have hoped: Gryphon's shadowy blade just barely misses its target, and Arimart's hammer is deflected by an interposing shield. Fortunately, the cursed warrior Kleris is able to follow through on his attack, red light coalescing around his weaponry as he swings the sword downwards in an inevitable arc. The blade cuts through wood, stone, and metal, leaving mangled wreckage in its wake. The light chooses at that moment to travel back from the end of Kleris' weapon and onto his skin, where the cuts that he's been dealt begin to close.

The counterattack proves fiercer than any of you anticipated: digging their feet into their position, the remaining three warforged unleash a staggering bevy of swings and stabs. Their positioning and discipline is strong, and on three separate occasions they maneuver their targets into positions where dodging the next swing of the armblade is a physical impossibility. Both of the half elves emerge from their exchange bearing a series of cuts of increasing severity. "Not my inn, you clanker motherf*ckers!" cries the bartender as he swings his axe mostly ineffectually.

On the other side of the Speckled Hen, another battle begins. With Kett and Raz charging in and unleashing their attacks, one warforged collapses into scrap while another is knocked down and badly damaged. However, that isn't enough to stop the fallen construct from rising back to its feet and delivering a deep slice across the monk's arm in retaliation. The other two patrons standing beside Kett do their part, one of them pulling out a vial of acid and dumping it right into the face of the damaged warforged and finishing it off for good. At that moment you hear a scream of pain from outside the back door, and then one more enemy soldier enters the inn. Blood drips from its bared blade.

Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Not a great round for you guys, unfortunately! I rolled no less than 4 crits against you, with Kett taking 11 damage from a hit, Arimart taking 12 damage, and Gryphon (against whom the enemy rolled 2 consecutive nat 20s) taking 25. On the other hand, three more of the warforged are down this turn, so you're making good progress carving through their ranks.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-21 at 05:13 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group of violent constructs press their attacks relentlessly, Arimart is hurt by one of them, but he ignores the pain; looking at Gryphon, who has been badly wounded by another one of the assailants, the half-elf feels really enraged, he points his eyes against the warforged warrior, and shouts "How DARE you hurt people for your petty beliefs?" As he speaks, a silvery light shimmers on Gryphon wounds, and immediately silver flames appears on the warforged, exactly in the same spots where he wounded the half-elf.

Still concentrated on the battle, the paladin press on, trying to finish it as fast as possible

Show

Using his reaction to "Rebuke the Violent" on the warforged who damaged Gryphon. It's a Wisdom saving throw for half damage (not sure about the DC, I suppose is the same for spells, in which case is 14)

Then he'll repeat the same routine of the earlier turn: normal attack on the one, smite on the same if he survives, else on the other one.

to hit: (1d20+7)[26] damage: (1d8+4)[8]
    to hit: (1d20+7)[25] damage: (3d8+4)[19]

30. - Top - End - #60

Raz

While his sharp senses would not allow him to actually dull the sounds of battle, his experience had taught him not to lose focus easily in such a situation. He feels no satisfaction killing the intruder, but he also does not feel compassion in that particular moment. Either they were murderers, mercenaries paid for this job, or they would see themselves as soldiers. Raz himself had served as one before, and he knew that questioning orders was difficult. But the war was over, and if it was still lasting... The scream from the outside brings clarity. They're not here for a battle between armed forces. They're here for a massacre.

The resistance of the patrons turns his face into a wild but resolute grimace, as his teeth start to elongate, and his body hair thickens. Never surrender! He draws two more arrows and gives a quick glance over his shoulder. Seeing the barrier behind him still standing, he focuses on the newcomer, sending two arrows his way.

Show

Bonus Action: Refocus Hunter's Mark to the newly arrived Warforged next to the stairs.
    Attack + Extra Attack: I'll roll two dice each in case they are at disadvantage. Damage includes +3 dex +4 favored enemy.
    Att1 - (1d20+8)[15], Att1IfDisadvantage - (1d20+8)[16], for Dmg1 - (1d8+7)[14] plus Hunter1 - (1d6)[2]
    Att2 - (1d20+8)[16], Att1IfDisadvantage - (1d20+8)[11], for Dmg2 - (1d8+7)[8] plus Hunter2 - (1d6)[1]

If required crit damage:
    Att1: CritDamage1 - (1d8)[1] plus CritHunter1 - (1d6)[2]
    Att2: CritDamage2 - (1d8)[5] plus CritHunter2 - (1d6)[1]