New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~6 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: Darkness

"He's with me you idiots, focus on the knights! Clear a path for Layla!" She'd lost track of what Gryphon and Arimart were doing in the chaos, they could be dead, though she expected they were likewise struggling. At least Kleris was nearby to back her up, and at least she'd managed to get the knight's attention, since the guards seemed to be paper tigers. Maybe her call would be enough to keep them off Kleris. They probably wouldn't stop her 'ally', but they would be an inconvenience. She follows the flow of her attacker's blow, letting the greatsword sail past her form as she casually steps around it. When the blade swings up she takes the opportunity to step into his space, through his guard. She punches up into his wrist with her right, aiming to disrupt his strikes, before pushing further in, jabbing with her right, and then pivoting for a crashing elbow strike into his belly. It's only then, with her back temporarily turned to the knight, that she sees the flame wall spring up at the entrance. Between the orrery and the wall of fire, it was quite literally getting too hot for them. She wasn't worried about herself or Arano, they'd survive this fine, but if the kid was needed then they couldn't go running through any fire like normally.
    "Fireflash on the lid," she calls up to her disguised husband, and Kleris, if he was listening and could understand none-too-complex disguised speech. If he had an alternate way out, this was the time for it. A manor like this must have a back door or two, no way everything came through this central hall...right? She quietly grimaces at the realisation that some nobles would have such inconvenient floor plans, seemingly solely to spite her.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: North one space to maintain flanking (possibly further movement if the knight dies)
    Action: : Attack: (1d20+8)[13] (1d20+8)[24] Damage: (1d6+5)[11]
    Extra Attack: Damage: (1d20+8)[16] (1d20+8)[18] (1d6+5)[10]
    Bonus Action: Martial Arts Attack: (1d20+8)[14] (1d20+8)[9] Damage:(1d6+5)[7]

If any attacks hit she also sneak attacks for (1d6)[3] extra damage.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Looking back over his shoulder, Gryphon watches as Hetrion's Firewall blazes into existence. These are his own people! Thrannites, humans! There was so much chaos going on, the ensorcelled wizard did his best to focus on one problem at a time as he stalks down the dance floor after his elven assailant.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gryphon dashes at half speed south
    Wisdom Save vs. Slow: (1d20+3)[13]
    Blink Roll: (1d20)[8]
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris rolls his eyes at the incompetent guards, he couldn't blame too much considering they thought he was in silk and a jacket when he was really wearing heavy mithral armor and radiating divine protection but he was not in a forgiving mood right now. He glares at them as Kett calls over to them "Notice how I have been trying to kill them and save those fighting them, not to mention the fact that many people can use some illusions! Focus on the one right behind me you know to be an enemy then the one fighting her and trying to help."

He couldn't wait around to see if they were listening though, he moves forward towards the stairs leading to the upper level, making it up the first flight towards the pair. He turns to the guard and the girl, something was going on here beyond the norm. The blood, the reticence of the girl, the suspicious timing, Kett and her code words, and everything reeked of suspicious plots.

It was time for some answers, and possibly to score some points with the ambassador one way or another. He pulls out a sliver of tender snake tongue drenched in sweet oil and rubs it between his fingers.

Words imbued with power, dripping with it, start to come out. Imbued with the power of the Dusk Sliver, insidious and dark. "Stop and explain what is happening, tell me your plan!"

To the girl he takes a much nicer tone "Is everything OK my little lady? What happened in the dark? What happened to your father?"

Show
    Bonus action to Persuasion check the guards that I'm not an enemy. (1d20+10)[23]

Move Action to move 30ft further up the steps and towards Layla. Eat any AoOs if they happen and use Shield as a reaction.

Standard Action to use Suggestion on the Guard/Arano with Layla.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

As the magistrate flees, the paladin lets out a breath of relief, but it swiftly stopped by the wall of fire that appears, blocking the entrance.

"Magistrate!" He shouts "Keep your distance from the Orrery and try to stay out of trouble! I'll go where ir'Sencriss was, try to reach me and we'll find a way out!"

After he finishes speaking with her, the prosecutor turns around and runs toward the left stairs, trying to reach his companions (and Siora). While he's going, he prays again to the Silver Flame to Shield him from harm.

"Sir Gryphon, some assistance may be needed!" says the charred paladin when he sees his Khoravar companion.

Show

Again, move and Dash to reach the other side of the place; bonus action to cast Shield of Faith. Now Arimart has 21 AC and 33 HP
    Does this poster have a sign?

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

Eyeing the charbroiled paladin, Spritz hisses with frustration and dips his tail into Gryphon’s bag of holding, emerging with a small flask of brown herbal liqueur in his coils. Slithering down from his current sluggish mount, Spritz covers the distance to the paladin and scales his new plate-armored perch.

Draping himself across the Prosecutor’s shoulders he administers the concoction to Arimart.

I cannot believe I’m facing certain danger to heal a paladin of the Silver Flame.

Show
    Spritz takes his free item interaction to draw a healing potion, moves from Gryphon’s shoulders to Arimart’s shoulders and uses his standard action to administer a healing potion.

Healing Potion: (2d4+2)[7]

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Professor Drake Shardstone

Drake stared at the wall in bemusement. He was lucky he didn’t fall on his arse, given how badly he had faired at climbing up this section. There were literally tens of handholds, and yet here he stood in n the ground. Shaking his head, he composed himself, studying the wall for a moment. Well, in my defense, it has been at least a decade since I’ve done this. Wait, there was that business in Cohsgate. What was it, Wildnight or the Hunt? Two... three years back, maybe? Bah, that one involved a rope and a spotter...

Hold the sending spell ... the Hunt ... I wonder...

Glancing up, he still had the darkness to deal with, so perhaps he needed the aid of a hunter. Touching his medallion, Drake invoked the Host, calling upon Balinor to aid his hunt. He could hear a faint horn echoing in his ears as he focused on the small dodecahedron the Ambassador had been carrying ... Athena control device for the orrery. He started to spit on his hands, intent on attempting the climb again when something strange happened. The object called to him, but not from above; it was coming from his left.

Turning his head slowly, he saw the guard from above carrying Lady Layla. The one with blood on his blade.

My my ... I certainly didn’t give you enough credit for your apparent treachery, good sir. The Ambassador’s daughter AND control of the orrery. But which is it you truly want? Is the girl your insurance and the orrery the prize?

His eyes flickered to the main area where Hell remained on earth and his eyes narrowed. Or is the girl your target, and the orrery is your cover ... or a bonus. Either way, that’s not your contraband to take, son ...

Drake turned from the wall and towards the guard. Frowning, he glanced at the dangers on the floor and called out to the guard. “Hi there, good sir! You wear the livery of the Ambassador. Do you know the way out? I could see to the safety of the little miss if you wish your blade free to deal with these ... obstacles...”

OOC - Casting Locate Object on the control device - I figure he saw it when everyone was gathered around for presents. Following Arrun for a way out ... poor old dwarves need help, and he might just earn his Boy Scout patch for assisting the elderly!
    Climb - (1d20+5)[15]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 0/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd
    0: guidance, thaumatugy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x1): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor,

Effects: locate object (concept, up to ten min); climb proficiency (10 min); 60’ darkvision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-03-06 at 04:57 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

The conflagration on the dance floor grows with every passing moment, and there are few left who remain to fight it. Both of the half-elves seem to have realized that the true fight is not happening down here and so have engaged in a hasty rush towards the base of the stairs up to the overlook where everyone else seems to be converging. In their absence, things take a sharp turn for the worse. The Phiarlan party are gone, and though both of the Thrane knights are on their feet, they do not remain so for long. The newly freed killer manages to bring down one of the mephits, the dancing sprite more or less exploding in his face with a loud boom, but his compatriot to the north is quickly overwhelmed by the living column of flames. His sword does not connect, but the creature is able to slip through his defenses, reducing him to a half-melted pillar of steel in less than two heartbeats. Glowing eyes seek out a new target, and find them in one particular sluggish wizard. Condensing its body into an inch long, ribbon-like stream of fire, the elemental surges through the air only to erupt outwards back into its true self all around Gryphon. There is no escaping the fire, which catches on the bladesinger's clothes and sets him alight!

Distant screams from the exit indicate that more bystanders have succumbed to the wall of flames, but Navel's voice can be faintly heard over the cacophony: "The windows! Break the windows!" In the distance, you spot the surviving nobles and guards banding together to start attacking the panes of glass with anything they have on hand, though it's all rather far away from your troubles at the moment to really be paying it much mind.

It is at the promontory at the base of the grand stairwell where events seem to truly be coming to a head. Kett's continued combat with the plate-wearing zealot does bear some results, but not all of the developments are kind. Getting underneath his weapon she closes for a final kill, delivering several shots in close quarters meant to take him out of the fight. He lets out a grunt which turns into a pained moan, yet even as the monk tries to evade she takes a blow from the hilt of his greatsword right to the temple which quickly starts to draw blood. As she prepares to square off once more though, the knight is already falling, a spear stuck into a gap in the back of his armor. His killer is another of the guards, who even now tumbles to one knee as he reveals a hideous looking wound across the chest.

But the end of one fight only sows the seeds of the next, as Kleris runs up the steps and does his best to compel Arrun to speak the truth. The young Thrane looks at the half-elf, his eyes glassing over for a second only for him to shake his head and return to the present moment. He frowns at Kleris. "Can't you see for yourself what's happening, man? We're under attack, I'm getting the young Layla to safety!" Yet the hold on her arm tightens, and the girl lets out a little whimper of pain. "Sir Arrun, you're hurting me, please let go," she says in a tiny voice. She does not respond to Kleris' questions directly, but he reads a kind of silent plea in her eyes. Beside them, Jaunt emits out a low growl.

The other men on ir'Sencriss' payroll, having paused their own attacks on Kleris once he began to speak, assess the situation. At that same moment Drake returns to the scene, asking after alternative exits and volunteering to look after the girl. The heads of their weapons waver uncertainly, unsure as their wielders are where to point them. One of them eventually asks Arrun for confirmation of an order, some kind of pass phrase, and his hesitation is all the signal they need. "I don't know who you are or what you've done with Arrun, but let the girl go now and we can resolve this peacefully," the guard says, both of them forming a shield wall at the base of the grand staircase to block off the kidnapper's retreat. They don't see Siora sidle up behind them, the bard beginning to cast a spell under her breath, though the effect of the magic itself seems inconclusive.

In that instant, Arrun locks eyes with Kett. Across thirty paces, he calls out a single phrase in the elven tongue, in a voice that is not his own. "Teshuel siin." Then he is moving, gathering up the now-protesting Layla with both arms and leaping headlong over the staircase banister to alight solidly on the gallery floor. He can't quite suppress a wince of pain as he twists out an ankle on the landing, but manages to keep on his feet.

Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    "Take her."

Spoiler: Round 4 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

As you're all moving up towards the far end of the map, this post will thankfully be a little shorter when it comes to detailing events on the floor, but that's where I'm starting this round's actions. The knights are having limited success: one of them did just kill a mephit and took a little flame blast to the face, but the other one was quickly overpowered and burnt to a crisp by the fire elemental, who is now looking out of the manifest zone and charging out, ending in the same square as Gryphon and dealing him 6 fire damage. He is now considered 'on fire', and until someone spends an action to put it out, he will continue to take 1d10 fire damage per turn. Arimart is healed by 7 from the healing potion. Another mephit also pops through the barrier. By the exit, a few more nobles die but Navel is getting them to band together with the guards to try to break the enchanted, reinforced windows.

Where things get really interesting is, of course, around Arano and Layla. Kleris' attempt to cast Suggestion on Arano sadly fails, but he does manage to get the guards off his back. Kett and one of the other household guards finish off the knight, but not before he can get a few good hits in, dealing Kett 11 damage and nearly killing the guard. Now free of the immediate threat, the guards start to put together that 'Arrun' is acting a bit dodgy so they block the stairs down. Now grabbing Layla by force, Arano-in-disguise is leaping the banister with her, taking a bit of fall damage but landing free of the obstacle. That's when Drake and Siora both dip their oars in; the dwarf has tracked the orrery control to Arano's pocket, and Siora seems to be focusing her magic on the centre of the charade so she tries to hit Arano with a Blindness spell (he rolls absurdly high again on his save though).

It's anyone's game as to who will end up control of the orrery and the girl now!

Round count: 4
    Body count: 18
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-06 at 06:44 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Amnestic;24955511]
    Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 41/52
    Concentrating: Darkness

Frustration was growing. People were closing in on them, spells were getting cast and if she didn't need to maintain the darkness on the host she's half tempted to just shut everyone up with a quick silence and move on. "Do you have time for this!? Really!?" With the armoured foe down she doesn't need to worry about her voice going unheard. She stomps on the knight's helmet, cracking the stone beneath it and crumpling the metal from the force for emphasis. Why couldn't they just wait until they escaped the magic fire orb and the likely-to-burn-down-building to sort it out? She steps from shadow to shadow, appearing in front of her husband and their treasure. "Hey kiddo," the smile on her face is comforting as she takes the girl from Arano. It's one she's given to Lia on more than a few occasions. Warm, encouraging, confident. Cradling her in one arm she takes a moment to gently pat the girl's hair reassuringly. "I'm Kett. I know it's scary, but we're gonna get you out. You'll be safe as long as you're with me. I promise." The expression and tone is completely different when addressing those around her. She's putting up a front to keep them off her back, but soldiers like this usually fell in line to whomever showed the most authority. "Those elementals won't discriminate, we need to leave, all of us. Come on!"

Without any other exits the windows were the next best thing if they couldn't get through the wall of fire. Her swift feet beat a hasty retreat. The most direct route was too hot to handle, so she takes the upper path. At least the others were starting work on the windows, hopefully they'd be shattered by the time she got there. With the girl weighing her down it would be a good ten or so seconds to cross the full distance, even if she pushed herself. More than enough time. Maybe. She doesn't look back for Arano. He trusts her and she trusts him. The momentary touch at the handover wasn't a necessary reassurance but it didn't hurt either. They'd both get out.

Show

Bonus Action: Shadowstep to Arano/Layla.
    'Object' Interaction: Take Layla.
    Action:: Dash for DOUBLE SPEED, bringing it back up to 45'.
    Move: Past the guards, past Siora, we're getting out.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

When the slippery creature known as Spritz slides over him, a shiver goes down Arimart spine, but he accepts the help, and choose to take advantage of it.

Moving as swifty as he can, he searches for his most powerful potions and hands it to Gryphon's familiar. At the same time, he tries to break the bond on his weapon but, between his fast movement and all the concitation of what is happening, he fails to do so as quickly as he would have. Distracted by the Elemental attack on Gryphon, the paladin reaches the highest part of the staris, calling for his fellow Khoravar

"Sir Gryphon, We need to be up here As fast as we can"

The paladin takes a brief moment to assess the situation...

"We need to put down that thing, and another mephit came out of the lava! They may attack other non-combatant... if only... but..." Looking toward the Orrery, Arimart remembers the other elf.

He turns to his other companions, who seem lost in some unexplained ruckus, noticing Kett's escape with lady Layla, but he has no time for questions right now.

"One of the Phiarlans is invisible and taking the Orrery!" He shouts at the top of his lungs. Then he stands and tries again to break his warhammer out of the peacebond.

Show

He moves over the stairs. blows away his bonus action to break the peacebond, wait for Spritz to administer his potion of greater healing receiving back (4d4+4)[13] HP, then tries again to break the peacebond with an action. Str Check (1d20+4)[17]

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

Slowed, aflame, and engulfed by an elemental; This is what playing with humans gets you, Gryphon thinks to himself, as he slaps out the fire on his arms and shoulders.

He steps out from within the living inferno and brandishes his energy sword at it; simultaneously trying to shake off the transmutation magic.

Show
    Wis Save: (1d20+3)[22]
    Blink: (1d20)[14]

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris grinds his teeth in his head and glares murder at 'Arrun', he knew what this was about. As soon as the guards start to accuse him and Kett flashes by on her way to steal the child on the word of this random guard it clicks.

This was Arano. He wasn't the only one with access to disguises and illusions. A high tier Phiarlan agent would have access to an Alter Self or something similar. Kleris rushes back down the stairway, sliding between the guards who had come up to accost Arano. He nods to them,"Cover me boys! We'll sort this out don't worry!"

He doesn't go after Kett though, while he had some vague plans with the girl it had been half baked. Why bother with those when he had Arano in his grasp here. So as he comes around the Puppy he locks eyes with the man he had been hunting. " No matter where you have walked you have never escaped my lords sight, now feel his GRASP"

He glares at the man and musters all the strength he can to try and draw his sword while calling out to Kett. "If you run with her we will kill him."

Show
    Move action to go back down the stairs onto the landing area.

Standard action to Channel Divinity to Abjure Enemy.

Bonus Action to draw sword/try to break the pacebond (1d20)[18]
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-03-06 at 02:13 PM.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Taking the potion from Arimart, Spritz administers it to the prosecutor. He readjusts his position on the Brelander’s shoulder, ready to charge into the fray.

Onward, Paladin. The Fury’s will guides our enemies to the slaughter!... Are you listening to me?

He can’t hear your thoughts.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake blinked for a moment, assessing what was happening. His comments, innocuous as he thought, had obviously set several actions into motion. But it was informative at the least. One, it was clear the guard and Lady Kett were in this together. Was it her Quicksilver? Perhaps. Two, the child was apparently the target and not insurance; you don’t give up your leverage when the game is up. Three, this half-elf was extremely angry with the guard ... who was in cahoots with Kett ... who was friends with the half-elf?

I know I saw him with Kett ... and Arimart. Is she playing both sides of the board? Or are there more unknown faces in this game if Dragon’s Gambit?

Four - the controls for the orrery are within arms reach. But how to proceed...

Drake cleared his throat at the tense situation. The not-Arrun was a step away, bloodied blade at the ready. Kett was halfway across the room with the girl, following her compatriot’s orders. The other guards were closing in. And this half-elf had arrived to put the fear of the gods in his quarry. Chuckling aloud, he raised his hands in a friendly measure and spoke loud enough to be heard by those nearby.

“Well, I certainly seemed to be interrupting something. I hope it wasn’t something I said. However, I think the Lady I brings up a valid point. In the face of elemental monsters, pools of lava, a wall of flame, and half of the nobles of Throneport in jeopardy of dying here at your employer’s party, you may want to consider a shift in priorities. Think of the goodwill you could garner by aiding the rich, famous, and politically connected. Might be worth a little initiative.”

Stepping closer to Arano cautiously, he pitched his voice to be heard by Kleris and Arano. ”Of course we three realize there is more to this situation than the blatantly obvious. You two obviously have some issues to work out, so I would like to leave you both to it ... I just need to gather my rightful property before it is damaged or falls into the hands of power hungry Thranish murdernauts.

Sir, I think you should leave the controls with me, then deal with your associate here. It may go a long way to ensuring a co discovered dialogue.”

OOC - So making a pleas for the guards to help (elsewhere) while trying to convince a frightened Arano to turn over the device.

With Suggestion (DC15) of course Hopefully this situation warrants a save at disadvantage

Show
    Channel divinity 0/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

Effects: climb proficiency (10 min); 60’ darkvision

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

The faint sound of cracking glass and hoarse yelling tells you everything you need to know about the progress of those poor souls frantically trying to escape from the waking nightmare that Solstice Hall has become. The forms of the finery-clad nobles struggle to break through that barrier, though it doesn't seem like they're having too much success yet. Navel seems to be rallying the people around her, getting the guards to use their shields and the blunt ends of their spears to cause as much damage to the middle of the great panes, though by the looks of things it will be at least a few more attempts before they can work open an exit large enough to let people through.

They may not have the time they need to escape. In the midst of the furnace below, a baleful light can be seen emerging from one of the active interplanar rifts, as a second amorphous elemental clambers into this plane of reality. Gathering itself to the height of its fullness, the spirit rises... only for its ascent to slow, as all of a sudden it finds the heat around it diminished. The ruddy haze, the bubbling pools of lava, even the wisps of dancing fire begin to fade away, as though they had never existed in the first place. At the heart of the diminishing field is an absence in space, a void where once there was a sun. The orrery has vanished completely from sight, disappearing into whatever private domain the last Phiarlan performer had prepared for it. In its wake, suddenly the hall seems brighter, the lights above returning to a semblance of normalcy even as they shine down on a butcher's yard. The charred corpses of the dead still fill the room, and one more joins their number as the penultimate Thrane knight is overwhelmed by the combined forces of the elementals. His scorched, empty helmet rolls across the black and white tiles.

Somehow, the likely tragedy pales in comparison to the drama unfolding around all of you. Kett, having gotten the signal from her disguised husband, manages to reach Layla before anyone else can react. Scooping the child up in her arms, the monk begins to dash off, capably dodging a spear swung low to the ground meant to trip her up in the process. She's vaguely aware of Gryphon and Arimart arriving on the scene, but too late to be of much help or hindrance. In a moment she seems to have left the group behind, looking right down the corridor to freedom. There is a chance, if she can make the run with Arano behind her...

But it is not meant to be. Kleris' intervention and pronouncement stops him in his tracks. Clenching his jaw, he will not meet the warlock's eyes even as his breathing begins to turn ragged and uneven. "Let... me go," he exhales at last to anyone who will listen. "Please... you don't know what's at stake..." His glances are directed at anyone but Kleris, from the guards nearby to the approaching Drake. Unfortunately for him, he meets the dwarf's eyes at precisely the wrong moment to hear what he has to say, and a trembling hand reaches into his pocket to produce a familiar looking dodecahedron shape. He drops it into Drake's hands without fanfare. "Here, take it. I was only going to keep it... long enough to cover my escape."

Kett, hearing Kleris' voice, turns to look at the scene and sees nothing at all. A shroud has occluded her vision, filling it in from the sides like black scum on the surface of a pond. There is only darkness around her, and in that dark all Kett finds herself forced to rely on other senses. She can hear Layla's whimpering, the approaching barking of Jaunt the blink dog, and she can feel the sudden pain of teeth clenched around her lower left leg as the pup catches up to her.

"I would like to extend a parlay, my lord," she can only hear, though the rest of you recognize Siora well enough as the Phiarlan bard emerges into the light. She completes a flourish of her hand in Kett's direction, both to complete the spell and to indicate its target to all who are watching. Her eyes are not directed at any of you, however: she gazes at the upper balcony, where two men have emerged from the living shadow. Ghastor supports his master with his body, keeping the visibly wounded Danilos on his feet. The Thrane ambassador has streaks of dried blood running all down one side of his face, staining his hitherto-immaculate dress robe, though the wound seems to have been largely closed. The household guard, previously oscillating between surrounding Arano at Kleris' behest and running to help the bystanders like Kett and then Drake implored, salute their employer's return. Danilos' face can only be described as livid, burning stare locked on Kett, though he gestures for Siora to continue.

"We help you incapacitate these fiendish kidnappers," she says with a coquettish smile in Kleris' direction that can only be construed as an invitation, "and in exchange you grant us the freedom to leave."

A vein pulses on Danilos' forehead. "Done. Amnesty to anyone who can bring me back my daughter, and these two alive. I want them to suffer properly for their impudence." He closes his hand into a fist, a signal for the nearby guards to surround Arano at spearpoint. One of them fishes into his belt for a pair of steel cuffs, reaching out to try and put Arano into them, only for the operative to suddenly twist and deliver a swift kick to the man, knocking them out of reach where they clatter noisily against the floor.

Arimart, who is in the midst of watching this all unfold before him, barely feels the heat before he is engulfed in flame. For all their size, the elementals make little noise as they move, and the column of energy has surged up the stairs in Gryphon's absence to envelop him completely in fire!

Spoiler: Round 5 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Things are changin' again over here on the old combat map! A few things are happening at once, and I'm resolving them in what I think is a sensible narrative order here. While the nobles and guards at the north exit are starting to have some success at cracking the windows, another elemental pops through from Fernia. However, right as that's happening, the still-invisible Lyrei finally finishes putting her portable hole to work, swallowing up the orrery into a pocket plane and making off with it. The new elemental and mephits only have one visible target so they gang up on the last Thrane knight on the floor and quickly obliterate him. They're going to be looking for new targets in the coming rounds.

In the main 'theater' of the fight, I'm trying to keep the order of 'elves -> guards/knights -> elementals', since that's the way I've been resolving actions so far. All of your actions were moderately successful: Gryphon got out of his Slow, Arimart made it to the actual fight and broke his peacebond, Kett got the kid and started her escape, Drake got his orrery controller... and Kleris locked Arano down. These actions, taken together, are determining what happens next. Siora goes first, and seeing that Lyrei has been successful in part of their mission, decides to call an audible and turn on Kett, successfully casting Blindness on her. Kett is now considered blinded for the next minute, or until she successfully makes a Con save at the end of her turn. She does this to save some face, as Ghastor has appeared with a mostly-healed Danilos, who orders his guards to clap Arano in chains and to retrieve his daughter. In exchange for Siora's freedom, she temporarily joins forces with Danilos, and there is an implicit invitation for Kleris to hop onto this team up. Kett is also taking 6 damage from Jaunt biting at her.

But of course, things are never that straightforward. The original fire elemental, having watched Gryphon disappear but seeing Arimart directly ahead, charges right up the stairs to take a few swings at him. Though they both miss, it does end its turn in his space and deals him 3 points of fire damage. He is now on fire, and someone will need to spend an action to put it out. Spritz also takes 4 damage and is on fire, and will similarly need an action to avoid immolation.

Round count: 5
    Body count: 19
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-07 at 05:32 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 35/52
    Concentrating: --

Blind fighting wasn't her preferred but she had done it before. She lets her own darkness drop, if ir'Sencriss was up and about there was no need to leave it there, and her mind was better focused on other things. She leans down, grabs Jaunt by the scruff of his neck and pushes it gently into Layla's hands. This was all turning on its head. While she has a lot of faith in Arano, putting him up against...pretty much everyone while she made a solo escape seemed a little unfair. Time to do something stupid. It might not work. It probably wouldn't work. But it was the best chance she saw.

"Danilos!" He voice carries past her short sight. If she could hear him, he could likewise do the same. Her hands still clutch Layla tightly, as much to reassure her as to make sure no one tries to take her. "Alive, that's good. I was worried that in your act of murdering a dozen of Throneport's high society you'd died and they'd be denied justice." She's putting on a polite air, but her stance is still all too combat ready. "If Layla's safety is assured I'll release her, but she's not going with you." Kett uses her spare hand to thumb towards the dance floor that she can't see. "You signed your death warrant with this. Surrender immediately, have your guards lay down their weapons, and they might take mercy on you." The elementals were still a problem but Kett couldn't worry about them now, negotiations were taking place. Enough witnesses had left before the fire wall had come up that he was screwed whatever happened. "Kleris, if you're done trying to ensorcell my husband please help Arimart, he needs to not be dead." She can't see the prosecutor, and she hadn't been focused on him, but he was pretty sturdy, he was probably fine for now.

Show

'Object' Interaction: Pick up Jaunt, give him to Layla. Stop biting me you damn cat.
    Action:: Dodge, negating blindness disadvantage.
    Move: None, aside from turning in place, she's standing defiant and blind.
    Bonus Action: None.

Consave vs. Blindness: (1d20+2)[5] vs DC ??

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Danilos sneers down at the blind monk; if he's aware of her being unable to see him, he gives no sign. "Please. I'll get my people in the broadsheets to publish that this was an unfortunate accident, and get all of my staff to back it up. There will be plenty of witnesses to the fact that 'rogue elements' attacked the auction and forced my hand. The courts in this city are only as just as we allow them to be, you'll see. I still have friends on the Tribunal."

The ambassador then gives a little shrug to anyone watching. "And should all else fail, I will retire from this life back to Thrane with my daughter. They will give me that, at least. But on those winter nights in Flamekeep, know that I will keep myself warm with the memory of listening to you and your... husband, dying together in my dungeons."

Show
    This isn't an actual 'round', just Danilos talking and calling Kett's bluff.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-07 at 05:47 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Things are turning for the worse in any place he looks, and now the Flaming monster is engulfing the Prosecutor.
    On the balcony, ir'Sencriss is starting to show himself worthy of his reputation, while Arimart's companions are still losing time bickering about... things. Turns up that Arano is Kett husband after all... does it mean she wants him back or is she here to end their relation? Either way, there are more pressing matters now. "Why nobody is able to understand priorities?" the paladin asks to himself, while stepping up the stairs.

"If you've done exchanging empty threats I need a little help here!" He says, while he concentrate to call the power of the Flame to his aid and tries to swing at the Elemental with his weapon. "May the highest Flame manifest to this world and burn so bright as to turn the denizens of Fernia into sparkling embers!"

After his first try, the paladin calls again for the Silver Flame to guide his words as much as it guides his hands, then calls to everyone in the room.

"Another Elemental has come! Now is not the time to turn on each other! We must stop the creatures! All of you! Join me!"

As he says this, he renew his attack on the Elemental engulfing him.

Show

Moving just 5 ft behind, staying within reach of the elemental but giving more space for the others. And he has the ground advantage!
    Bonus Action to Channel Divinity: Emissary of Peace then Persuasion check to convince the others to help him stop the elementals (1d20+11)[21]

Two Attacks on the Elemental, expending a second level slot to Smite it if they hit.

Attack Roll 1 (1d20+8)[13] Normal Damage (1d8+1)[4] Smiting Damage (3d8)[12]
    Attack Roll 2 (1d20+8)[26] Normal Damage (1d8+1)[6] Smiting Damage (3d8)[12]

Last edited by CozJa; 2021-03-07 at 07:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris coldly eyes Arano and spits on the ground at his feet. "I will have words with you later."

He then turns and watches as the chaos becomes greater and greater. The dwarf gets the controller or something from Arano, another elemental comes forward, and of course the Phiarlans are complicating everything even more. Kett is attempting a hostage negotiation/blackmail in the middle of all this and Arimart is calling for aid. He huffs, dark six this wasn't going to end well.

Mind working miles a minute he weighs everything. He had no grudge against Kett personally, now that he had Arano located but he hadn't really appreciated her actions earlier. He looks at the bard offering him a way out. He could join her side and get into the lords good graces, use that to get time with Arano. Leave the others behind. He mutters a small prayer quickly. "No matter how far you travel my lords gaze will always find you."

He approaches the elf calmly at a brisk jog, whispering to Arimart as he passes close "I'll sort this out Prosecutor, sorry."

As he gets there he smiles and turns to face the lord same as the elf was. As he does so he smoothly swings his longsword up towards her body while quickly chanting and channeling divine power. "Mine is a vengeance that BURNS!"

He was not here to side with traitorous Phiarlan agents, leaving his colleagues to die. He had his opposition with some of them but leaving the others to burn was not in the cards. He still had some use for them and he was... fond of them. This could still be turned around with some half truths and outrageous lies. But first he had to get rid of the other party bargaining with the lord.

Show
    Bonus Action to drop Shield of Faith and instead cast Hunters Mark on Siora.

Move action to move to Siora.

Standard action to cast GreenFlame Blade and Attack.

To Hit [roll0] and damage [roll1] and then smite damage if it hits at 2nd level [roll2] and finally the Hunters Mark damage [roll3]

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon watches from his safe perch on the ethereal plane as Arimart and Spritz are surrounded by the living conflagration. He sees Spritz's lifeless body roll off of Arimart's shoulders to the floor before discorporating into ash as it winks out of existence. He grits his teeth and closes his eyes a moment, before blinking back to reality even closer to the fire creature than he was before; appearing midair in a downward thrust, intending to impale the murderous elemental.

Finishing the extra-planar beast off, he strides up the staircase. We all want impudent people to suffer, ir'Sencriss. The problem is, your new elf friend made too many enemies when she Pied Piper'ed a group of nobles into your fire pits. After she takes her final bow, we all need to listen to the Prosecutor and stop the fire monsters; before your list of "friends" on the Tribunal becomes more thin. He gesticulates behind himself to Magistrate Navel as he finishes his speech.

Show
    Gryphon makes one Shadowblade Attack on the Fire Elemental, if his first attack kills it he runs up the stairs and makes is second attack as a ranged attack against Siora and uses his bonus action to recall the blade to his hand. If he doesn't kill the fire elemental with his first attack, he makes both attacks against it.

First Attack: (1d20+5)[23]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[13]
    Crit Damage: (3d8)[10]

Second Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Advantage: (1d20+5)[10]
    Damage: (3d8+2)[16]
    Crit Damage: [roll]3d8]3d8[/roll]

Majesty Roll: (1d20+2)[10]
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-03-07 at 05:19 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake glances down at the controller in his hands, preparing to close the window when a strange sucking sound removes almost all the heat in the room at once. Well, at least the excess heat spilling out from from the Sea of Fire as the connection to Fernia was cut off. He quickly glanced up to where the orrery had been, realizing the only missing player were the three ladies. Well, two .... His eyes scanned the area for where the hidden thieves could have slipped to, knowing the longer the orrery remained hidden, the further away it would get. Why are the Phiarlans interested in this item? Do they have a buyer back in Sharn, or were they hoping for a bidding war? Or is there something else afoot?

Before he could dwell upon that further, voices were raised and in the blink of an eye, the various factions had drawn battle lines. The Ambassador and the Phiarlans (or the one they could see) ... Kett and her apparent husband ... Arimart and his companions (but did that courtesy extend to Kett’s clique? Not if the half-elf had anything to say about it!). Which left Drake and ...

Well I kiss a devil’s tears if that’s not going to be a problem. Think, boy-o, think. Who’s in a position to assist you? Who has the best chance to make it out alive? And who is least likely to be a competitor for the orrery?

The Phiarlans were out - they weren’t going to give up their possession. The ambassador was out - he planned on letting the elves take the prize and would cleanse the room of any who would speak I’ll of his festivities. Kett and her man seemed an excellent addition to his still vacant circle of companions, with skills to survive and limited interest in the orrery. If only they hadn’t grabbed the little girl. Unless, of course, she was a skinwalker or Changling. But without proof, what was he to do?

That left Arimart and his colleagues. He might not trust many things in this room, but the Prosecutor was not one of them. Of course, there were ramifications to linking your lightning rail to the law. But with a limited set of options and no support network, Drake didn’t have much of a choice.

Moving away from the guards and their would be prisoner, he slipped towards where Arimart stood, limping out of the way of any pending fracas. As he moved from Arrun he gave the man a quick wink and whispered “Tis a shame, lad. I was rooting for you.”

Once he was near the knight, he murmured, ”Well said, Sir Arimart. Let me see if I might lend a hand. Or more accurately, a bolt.” He cast a radiant bolt of light towards the large elemental. As an afterthought, he reached down to tap one of the faces on the control device. The one with two wavy lines crossed by a vertical straight line.

Enjoy that, ladies ...

OOC -move to Arimart, cast guiding bolt Attack - (1d20+7)[8], Dam - (4d6)[12]. Turn orrery to Xoriat.
    Show
    Show
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

The moment that Kett turns to surrender, all of the fight leaves Arano. The elf in disguise locks eyes with his wife, and what passes between them is unknown to the rest of you. The entire situation around the young Layla seems to lapse into an uneven, ragged silence as Danilos weighs the choices before him. The ambassador doesn't have time to truly ponder the matter, however, as the great spirit of flame appears to be still wrapped around Arimart. The knight himself, after having chastised the assembled parties, turns to cleave away at its essence, two swings of his hammer accompanied by tremendous explosions of light. Swirling outwards in desperation, it begins to flow away but barely begins to move when another weapon - this time borne of the dark - slices through the center of what would be its mass. At the moment of bisection, the core of the creature collapses in on itself, fire siphoning into void as though it were dishwater going down a drain. Silently, with no plea or final cry, the entity fades away on an absent wind.

"Well," remarks Siora at the display of heroism, "I guess that's one way to handle a problem." The performer seems to be paying no mind at all to Arano being ensconced by spell and steel, attention swiveling towards Kett as she starts to consider how best take the woman in with a minimum of effort. As such, she doesn't notice Kleris' stepping in close until it's far too late to do anything about it. By the time she even registers the hexblade's presence, the smiling 'half-elf' is already bringing up his flickering violet-limned blade to slam it deep into her chest. The moment should have been a killing blow, yet the bard's damnably quick reflexes allow her to take half a step back out of pure instinct, saving her from the worst of the bleed. She certainly screams like she's been dealt a mortal wound, though.

"Arrgh!" Devolving into rapid gibberish that you're pretty sure is elven in its provenance but sounds like more trade-speak, Siora stumbles backwards, a veritable current of blood spilling through her silk shift. "By all the gods above and below in the garden, that HURT, you BASTARD!" Gone is any semblance of the graceful musician, or the slant-eyed enchantress who reeled Arimart in with her subtle incantations. Instead you are confronted with a glaring witch, one who cracks her fingers together in one last attempt to get out with her life. She disappears just like her companion did, and you can hear her footsteps start to recede on the polished tile.

Kleris closes his eyes. He takes one more swing with his sword, and a head and a body shimmer separately into view at his feet.

Danilos flinches at the sight, looking away from the carnage for a moment before steeling himself to gaze upon you all - Kleris and Kett in particular - with open disdain. "Very well. Evidently, my position is not what it was. Thank you for your aid, gentlemen," he rejoins acidly at Gryphon and Arimart. "I will see to it that none of the other guests here die... but this man and woman are to be taken into Thane's lawful custody as soon as the elementals are handled." One of his lackeys does manage to get the shackles onto Arano this time, but his disperses the rest of them to go help the nobles with breaking open the windows, leaving most of you prepared to prepare yourselves for the next wave of otherworldly trespassers. Thankfully, Drake is more than happy to get the party started early, the dwarf's chant conjuring a projectile of heavenly force not unlike that which surrounded Arimart's hammer only moments ago. It tears through the air, falling just shy of its target in the centre of the ballroom... but drawing the gazes of the creatures nonetheless.

When they come, it is all three of them together. The two magmatic sprites wing over through the air, doing little pirouettes and performing flips as though tonight's whole ordeal were little more than a game. Even their hissing back and forth sounds vaguely mocking, though none of you speak their tongue. One of them hovers not too far from Drake, while the other looks down over the trio of Kett, Layla and Jaunt. The next great bonfire moves up the very same path that its predecessor took, searing the finely carved steps to where the first of you stands stalwart. Arimart is still burning when he is knocked nearly off his feet by a pair of solid strikes, his skin starting to blister and peel away where it's exposed to the air as he begins to buckle under the heat.

Spoiler: Round 6 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Things seem to be calming down a mite on the plotting front, but that doesn't make this an entirely uneventful round! While you have something of a ceasefire, Kleris gets all up in Siora's grill and nearly finishes her off. Though she does try to cast Invisibility to escape from the fight that has severely turned against her, a nicely times opportunity attack and another Divine Smite clinches it. She is now dead and gone! The nobles have broken one of the windows, but the other one is less lucky so far.

With Danilos' agents and leverage gone, he 'accepts the wisdom of your advice' and is going to help contain the whole evening with whatever forces he has left, though one guard does stay to put Arano in cuffs and stick by his side so that he doesn't try anything. He's also going to take the sword that Arano is wearing.

This leaves us with the elemental forces, all of whom got nicely aggro'd by Drake and are coming straight for you all. The mephits did a double move so that's them done, but the elemental does manage to make it to Arimart this turn and so successfully smacks him twice for a total of 16 more damage. Nobody has put out the fire either, so he takes another 7 from that. I've already updated his hp on the Roll20.

Round count: 6
    Body count: 20
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-10 at 03:33 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Blind, Darkvision (~6 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Eldritch Maul (10/10 turns remaining)

She hears the mephit flying close without seeing it, just as surely as she hears Siora's corpse hit the ground. A pity, really. Despite their being on opposite sides of this conflict she bears the now-dead Phiarlan no ill-will. They were professionals, after all, and this was just business. Siora had overplayed her hand though, and paid the price. Kett just had to hope she wasn't doing the same. Perhaps her words carried a little less weight since she was still clearly blind, but she hadn't given up on her and Arano getting out of this alive and not tortured in a dungeon for the rest of their days. "Don't worry Danilos." Kett calls up to him as her tattoo vibrates, spreading ink up across her skin, before bubbling out into two enormous rippling dragon-claws from the back of her neck. Without even looking at the mephit they lash out at it on her behalf, even as she's stepping towards the host. "I'm not going anywhere." Her words are cold, even as her mind is running hot with all the bits and pieces to take into account. Arano unable to move, elementals still a factor, at least one or two guards remaining, and she had to keep Layla safe - letting her down would leave her fodder for the elementals, so for the moment they were still stuck with each other.

She slides around Kleris, putting him between Layla and the fiery foes. "I expect we're going to have a conversation when this is all done." It's a casual statement to him. It's just business, after all. She's just not sure what his business is yet. Perhaps due to Siora's death, Kett's able to blink past the blindness, though the situation hasn't changed that much since she lost her sight. Now out of range of the mephit, one of her dragon claws scoops up Siora's instrument, handing it off into Kett's spare hand.

Show

Bonus Action: Invoke the Eldritch Maul effect from the Eldritch Claw Tattoo.
    Action:: Attack, with disadvantage due to blindness :( (1d20+8)[9](1d20+8)[27](1d6+5)[8]+(1d6)[5] force
    Extra Attack: (1d20+8)[22](1d20+8)[13](1d6+5)[9]+(1d6)[2] force
    Move: 20' (still weighed down by a CHILD) to stand on the safe-side of Kleris.
    Object interaction: Grabbing the thurimbar rod.

Consave vs. Blindness: (1d20+2)[16] vs DC 16

Eldritch Maul. As a bonus action, you can empower the tattoo for 1 minute. For the duration, each of your melee attacks with a weapon or an unarmed strike can reach a target up to 15 feet away from you, as inky tendrils launch toward the target. In addition, your melee attacks deal an extra 1d6 force damage on a hit. Once used, this bonus action can't be used again until the next dawn.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-03-10 at 04:37 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing ANOTHER fire elemental swirl around his fellow half-elf, Gryphon huffs with what could almost be read as indignance. No one else wants to take care of this thing? No party performers want to reveal themselves as magicians that can control this monster? He looks at the remaining Knight of Thrane. You're not gonna reveal you're secretly a sorcerer or druid? No ability to direct reality with a mere thought? Anyone? Fine, I'll take care of this one as well.

With that, the aggravated wizard releases his grasp on his weapon. The energy of the blade fizzes out while the handle disintegrates into nothingness. He points, with his right hand, at the living conflagration; concentrates for a moment before letting out a short, hard exhale. HAA!

As the syllable leaves Gryphon's lips, the elemental immediately begins to collapse inward upon itself, folding inwardly as if giant invisible hands were turning it into living origami. As it gets smaller and smaller the incorporeal nature of the flames become more solid and defined. It shrinks until nothing of the great flaming beast is left but a tiny, vibrantly red, starfish.

Sauntering over, Gryphon picks up the valvatida and tucks it into a pocket of his tunic before moving to Kleris' side. He glares with mild irritation at the rest of the ballroom.

Now! unless anyone else wants to experience life as an invertebrate, he turns to look at the remaining guards, You! Stop playing around and finish off the last little beasts.

Turning to Kett, You! Stop cartwheeling around with the birthday girl under your arm.

He turns to Lord ir'Sencriss, You! Stop trying to give orders to your party guests. Even a fool could see lost your leverage when you created this mess.

He looks at turns to Arimart, You! For gods sake, man. Pat out that fire before you're charbroiled. I'm not interested in seeing another one of my friends burnt to cinders before my eyes tonight.

He shifts his gaze to Kleris, You! That was a clean headshot on the elf. You're doing great, no notes.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-03-10 at 06:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Charred and debilitated, the Paladin clenches his hold on the warhammer and prepares to attack the other furious creature. "Fire against fire, I will burn birghter than it! No surrender! I will break you creature!" He repeats to himself, trying to ignore the pain.

As he is ready to face peril for the countless time, Gryphon launches a quick incantation and the hideous elemental transform into a... starfish? With widened eyes, Arimart looks at the now harmless critter "Well... that works, too" He thinks. Then he considers that Gryphon should really try to learn when to keep his mouth shut, but he's not going to discuss with an ally who proven so capable and, in fact, worthy (even if the paladin remembers that he was the one drawing first blood).

Casually putting out the fire on him, the Prosecutor turns to the nearest monster and walks to stand side by side with Drake

"Thank you for your help, Drake Shardstone, I still haven't understood exactly what are your goals here, but as long as you stand against this tide of madness, I'm fine with accepting your help. Also, don't mind my companions: for what I've seen so far, they are better than they seem to be... usually."

Show

Noting amazing, moving beside Drake, and expending an action to put out the fire

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Gryphon's spell - for all of the wizard's outlandish gestures and overall grandstanding - works impeccably. What was once a towering bastion of living elemental flame transforms rapidly before your very eyes, shrinking down to become a crimson invertebrate of uncertain design. It slides onto the marble with a rather undignified plop, where the half elf picks it up and pockets it with ease. With the elemental gone, the other two mephits prove to be rather easy prey. Kett manages to knock one back, her new tattoo coiling off of her skin like a newfound extension of her very body, and Kleris isn't too far behind, driving it down to the ground with an expertly placed blast of eldritch energy. The second creature is driven back by the combined force of the guards, where it dissipates at the end of a spear thrust.

The clanking of heavy boots signals the approach of one final combatant: the very same mail-clad killer who put down Firam and, by the looks of things, at least three more of ir'Sencriss' household guard with barely a scratch on them. Their bloody greatsword remains drawn, though dragged in one hand at their side instead of up in the defensive guard you might expect. The champion surveys the scene before visibly letting out a breath. Dropping their weapon beside them with a deafening clang, they reach up and pull off their helmet, revealing craggy green-grey skin, golden eyes, and the small tusks of a half-orc. What's more, the structure of their face and their body language betrays the fact that it's a woman. She clears her throat, though you hear the same telltale rasp in her voice from when she still had her visor up.

"Ah, crooked. This is a bit awkward," she says, gesturing at the slain left in her wake, Firam in particular. "I killed that whelp for surrendering, yet here I am doing the same. I, Draci Irvallo, here lay down my weapon and remand myself to the proper authorities until such a time that my release can be negotiated through the proper channels." At her feet she casts her helmet and gauntlets next, holding out her hands to be tied up so that she can be taken into custody. The whole act smacks of something rehearsed; these are words she has spoken before, likely in very similar scenarios to this one.

Looking about the hall, you all have a chance to breathe and take in the true extent of the carnage that has unfolded around you. Though the orrery itself has disappeared, and the manifest zone with it, what has been left in its wake can only be summed up as a molten massacre. Soot marks and great cracks spiderweb all across the once-pristine dance floor, marks of the temporary occupation of the Sea of Fire. And scattered about the afterglow are the dead: half-melted things, more ash left on the bones than the flesh that once clung to them. You can make out tattered bits of cloth or banded metal, just enough to identify the fallen but little else besides. Barring the intervention of restoration magics, it looks like Magistrate Evam Taralos is going to have to be buried face down, for less than half of him remains solvent in this world.

On the other side of the hall, the wall of flame has finally subsided, leaving those few who had not yet managed to break through the opportunity to escape out into the cool night. Ir'Sencriss' guards have actually proven helpful, ushering out the civilians and keeping order. Ghastor has joined them with what few members of staff have stuck around, offering obsequious apologies to everyone on their way out the door. Unfortunately, there seems to be no sign of Lyrei, the third Phiarlan elf who made off with the priceless planar artifact.

In the meantime, the ambassador has kept his position on the balcony with a few more of his shields, keeping the seven of you gathered below. Though he hasn't said a word in over a minute, the vein on his head has not pulsing moving since he first appeared over the battlefield. "Now that the guests are largely gone," Danilos says, his voice clipped but perfectly even, the sign of a nobleman's rage, "I would like to revisit our prior conversation. Of all of you, it seems the only ones who behaved as they should were your khoravar thaumaturge and the new rightful owner of the orrery, Drake Shardstone." He gives the Morgrave academic and secret changeling warlock a sincere nod of thanks.

"As for the rest of you... some of you may have saved the lives of those attending this party, but others attacked me and kidnapped my daughter. As far as I can tell, you are all associated in some way. By all rights, I should be petitioning to have you sent to Thronehold prison for this. I may even yet do that." He looks directly at Arano, whose expression has gone studiously blank ever since his predicament was made clear to him.

Spoiler: OOC - End of Combat
    Show
    So that's a wrap for combat! The fighting part of the Burning Birthday is officially closed.

So far, Kleris and Kett were able to take a wand and some slippers from the dead Siora, but we'll see how well this interaction goes before committing to anything else.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-14 at 07:39 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Excuse me? Gryphon responds to the Lord indignantly. Did you not just see me Zantetsuken through the one living inferno and rewrite reality to turn the other one into unprocessed ceviche? A transformation I can gladly reverse should you continue to threaten me with legal action for saving the lives of everyone in this room.

He turns to the birthday girl. Are you okay, Layla? You’ve been really brave during all this craziness; looks like I gave Jaunt to the right person. You’ve got the chutzpah to be a great hero someday. As he speaks to her he thinks back to his own childhood filled with terrifying chaos and violence.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-03-11 at 02:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~6 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Eldritch Maul (5/10 turns remaining)

With the elemental danger passed, and little excuse left to hold onto her, Kett finally lets Layla down to the floor, giving her a small headpat as she leaves her to Gryphon - bet he didn't get bitten by any stupid pets. "You can petition all you want, but he's walking out of here with me. I'm sure you're still smarting from the wound, maybe a bit of blood loss got to your head," she taps her temple with her right finger, the patronisation is clear. "As the sequence of events goes, you activated the orrery - unleashing hell and putting us all in danger. Pretty sure getting Layla out was the only sensible course of action, one that would've gone easier if your incompetent security (who I saved from the knight, feel like that should be included here) hadn't hobbled us."

"I dunno, maybe you'd have preferred your daughter get eaten by a fire elemental or cut down by the knights? I'm on team 'not let the kid die' personally. Anyone else?" She crosses her arms, but holds up one of the inky black claws emerging from her neck, as if she had raised a hand. It would serve as a reminder that she was absolutely still willing to go back to punching to reach her desired outcome.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake ahook his head in bemusement when he missed the gigantic elemental with his beam. I am getting far to old for this sort of field work .. Pushing that aside, he considered his next move when a scream of pain and rage drew his attention. The remaining Phiarlan stood bleeding, angry with the half elf, but when she tried to run under a cloak of shadow the man nonchalantly removed her head with a sweep of his blade. Snicker-snack ... I will certainly watch myself around that lad ...

The displays of might and magic continued with the destruction of the Mephistopheles and the transmutation of the elemental. In a matter of seconds, this small group had gone to being threatened with death or incarceration, to having their sheer power on display. Hosts above, this lot are certainly no minor pieces on the board; even if they could be used, do you want to risk their anger? Best be polite ...

In the aftermath, the Arimart offered his thanks, the Ambassador offered some threats, and the rest offered biting sarcasm. With tensions still high and the measuring contests already to the quarterfinals, Drake knew things could still spiral out of control. And somewhere his prize was getting further away. With a slight bow of his head to Danilos, the dwarf patted the knight on his arm and nodded to the main ballroom floor. When he spoke, it was loud enough for others to hear, but by no means a shout.

”I am but a simple academic with little equity in these ongoing deliberations. I do, however, have some training in the ways of the clergy and feel it important to see to the fallen. I fear their souls may be in jeopardy of being lost in the seas of Fernia. If I may ...”

Drake didn’t feel he needed permission, but would be polite enough to wait for his hosts’ acknowledgment, at the least. He also didn’t think any of the departed souls here were going to be lost to Fernia, but who knows?

OOC -Wanting to give last rites to the fallen ... and perhaps have a word with one of the fallen Phairlans
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

"How dare - " Danilos swallows his next words, seeing that Layla is still in the custody of Gryphon and not someone under his employ. He only barely manages to master himself, and even after doing so his words echo with a ring of cold command. "You'll forgive me for not seeking parenting advice from a kidnapper's accomplice; I had every intention of escorting Layla safely away myself, until I was viciously attacked under cover of darkness by this man, and both orrery and my daughter taken from me. I ask you one last time, civilly, that she be returned to my side at once."

The girl herself, having kept up a good face during the worst of the ordeal, is beginning to finally absorb the scenes surrounding her. She cries silently as she is extricated from Kett's arms. In her tear stained state Layla doesn't recognize any of you by sight, but she does pause when Gryphon acknowledges her bravery. She lets out a few sniffs, wiping away new droplets and holding onto his hand. "... I'm - I'm okay, Sir Gryphon. Thank you." she manages to eke out after a minute. The pup gathers himself at her feet and she kneels next to him, stroking his fur until the force of his eyes prove too much and she picks him back up in her arms. "Do yo-you really think he likes me?"

In the meantime, Drake asks to be dismissed and is waved away by Danilos, who continues to look expectantly at the wizard. The guards aren't moving yet, but they watch for any signal from the ambassador to spring into action.

Drake

After barely escaping what could well devolve into another round of fireworks, you are allowed to make your way back down the steps and onto the charnel floor that is the remains of tonight's clash. The smell of burning meat is stronger down here, and to your disgust you find that your mouth waters just a little bit at the scent of one of the well-done noblewomen. Just by looking at the floor, the boundaries of the manifest zone are patently obvious, as the soot-stains form the circumference of a circle around where the artifact was only minutes ago.

Besides some of the guards and staff returning to the scene to start cleaning the area and keeping it safe from outside intrusion - and more than once, you spot a maid or surviving server kneeling surreptitiously to rifle through the pockets of the dead to pick off a ring or necklace - you are allowed free reign to conduct whatever last rites or rituals you deem necessary. A few looks of grudging respect are turned your way as you pass; at a guess, you would say that you're already being recognized as one of the few who decided to stay behind in the combat and keep things from boiling over.

You find the body of the singer more or less where it fell - nobody has dared to touch her yet. Unlike the rest of the corpses, she doesn't seem too torn or defiled. Though she bears a few cuts and her clothes seem to have melted into her skin in some places, there is no mortal wound to justify the glassy stare you know all too well.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-13 at 06:25 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon pointedly ignores Danilos for a moment and gives his attention to the little girl at his feet. You know, he addresses her, as soon as it looked like you were in danger, he leapt to your rescue. I've never seen a Blink Dog take to someone so quickly. In my opinion, as a wizard, I'd say he definitely likes you. Gryphon tries to keep his voice as positive and supportive as possible; thinking about the kinds of things he'd have liked to hear when he was just a few years older than Layla, witnessing his first battlefield with Fireball at his side.

He gives the girl an avuncular pat on the shoulder and looks up to address her father; the friendliness of his countenance shifting to the sinister placid condescension he so typically wears.What exactly do you think is happening here, Lord ir'Sencriss? Do you think you can use your hired muscle to intimidate us? I've seen how they fight and you've seen what I can do against otherworldly terrors; and I assure you my friends are just as capable as I am.

Do you think you have some sort of moral or legal high ground here? I'm no expert on the law but I'm willing to bet the cases these fricassee'd nobles' families have against you for your planar indulgence far outweighs whatever stupidity this stooge was attempting.
    He gestures to Arano, If you doubt me, consult my lawyer, and he points his thumb to Arimart.

Do you think we came here to hurt you daughter? You know exactly why I've come to Throneport, and if you're shortsighted enough to think I'd risk my efforts with something so brutish then I've got a bridge to sell you in Metrol. Besides, I think Layla here is a fine young lass.

As he speaks, Gryphon walks towards Danilos and Ghastor, gently walking Layla and Jaunt along with him.

My associates and I came to your party tonight to find my friend's wayward husband. We were worried he was getting himself into some sort of trouble, and ah-ha look at the condition he's found himself in. If you want some sort of justice wrought against him, then good news, because he's leaving this ballroom in the custody of the city's most famed prosecutor, Sir Arimart Kaessel. if you don't think the courts will adequately punish him, then buy yourself a judge, get him thrown into Dredhold for all I care, but lets not pretend you're the authority here anymore.

With the deaths you've caused tonight and the fracas with this one's mistress,
    he indicates the dead body of Firam on the ground, I think you've made more than enough enemies tonight. I'm currently still your friend, don't let your ego force you do something to change that. Now take Lady Layal here, and get her safely to bed. If something endangers her then go ahead and call me and I'll be the first to jump to help your family. If you need something from me otherwise, then you can talk to my legal representative. He nods his head once more towards Arimart.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2021-03-12 at 06:40 PM.