New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

As the party steps into the Reprieve, Gryphon wicks away whatever water has gotten on to his clothes despite his icy guards, noting the damage the fire monster did to his clothes. New crimson tunic completely ruined. Probably first degree burns on the skin underneath. Lovely.

The worn-out wizard looks on as Kleris begins the conversation with a mouth full of bread. A weary, but genuine, lopsided smile coalesces on the half-elf’s face. That man’s predilection for extreme violence and table manners remind me of that old Skullcrusher captain. What was his name... Garnok The Widow-Scalper? Something like that. It’s nice that even in this foreign land, there are people you meet that can remind you of home.

Sir Kleris, he begins, there is little more that I’d enjoy than a short rest and another sample of the gracious hospitality you have previous extended towards Madam Kett, Prosecutor Kaessel, and me.

I must beg off such an offer. Instead, I humbly request the use of one of The Reprieve’s sleeping quarters so that I might refocus my magic to send off Prosecutor Kaessel’s message as swiftly as possible.

If Kleris is willing to comply, the Khorovar heads off to bed, giving the others a wave goodnight. He avoids indulging in even a single drink, for fear that it will slow his travel to Dal Quor. He wraps himself in a blanket and drifts off to sleep without Spritz nearby for the first time in 7 years. Feeling, in some ways, more alone even than he did in his first night in Throneport.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

2. - Top - End - #692
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~4 hours), 6/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: --

Neither Kett nor Arano touch the food or drink on offer, regardless of how openly prepared it is. They both know better. They don't even sit down, though shackled to Draci, Arano is forced to make a slight concession in at least being near a chair for their new orcblooded 'friend'. She'd have preferred Gryphon stuck around for this, but had no real cause or position to stop him. Instead they stand, silently, watching, saying nothing, as if they were turned to stone. It might be difficult to even tell they're breathing, and aside from the occasional jangle of Draci-Arano's chain, they might fade into the background for all the presence they give off.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-03-19 at 05:57 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

As they enter the reprieve and Kleris offers his hospitality, the paladin takes a seat and eats some bread. He already ate at the party, but he wanted something more just to give him less emptiness, like the one he feels inside at this time.

"Thronehold may be again in turmoil, a Magistrate is dead, and we have a potentially first degree menace in the hands of Phiarlan agents. And we still don't know what to do with this whole Kett-Arano situation. Mh, that couldn't be much worse than the Alenar d'Jorasco case at Sharn... or I hope so. At least Gryphon should be able to give more information after he rests."
    Part of him would like to scold the young Khoravar for having to rest in such a difficult situation, but the Paladin knows quite well that all of them had to go out of their way to keep things in check during the evening. "I don't know who to trust," he thinks "but not even cardinal Krozen could deny the bravery of all people present here."

Noticing that Kett and Arano abstain for taking food or beverages, he looks at the half-orc

"If you want something to eat let us know. This unexpected turn of events doesn't mean we should forget hospitality. We all need some rest before talking."
    Does this poster have a sign?

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

Draci proves surprisingly gentle on the chain, only tugging on her manacle when she absolutely has to and even then warning Arano beforehand. If the half-orc is at all bothered at being taken prisoner so abruptly, she has given no sign. During the carriage ride, she inquired after her sword and helmet being ransomed along with her - citing sentimental value on the former if not necessarily the latter as a treasured family possession - but other than that she's proven to be perfectly cooperative. Of course she couldn't resist a subtle flash of amused fangs at the bickering session back in front of Thronehold, a sure enough sign that there's a person buried somewhere beneath all of that steel plate.

"Just some water if you don't mind, Sir Kaessel," she gravels as she opts to lean against a wall rather than force Arano's whole arm and shoulder down towards ground level. "Let me know if either of you do want to sit down," she tells the couple as she starts to make herself comfortable.

The rest of the hour turns largely uneventfully. Some sleep is had by those who need it, though little enough nourishment is gained in the heat that pulses beneath your eyelids. The images of the people burning are still there, their screams rising and receding with your breath like a black tide you can barely hold back. When you open your eyes, the darkness still reigns outside, the whistling of the winds rattling against the outer planks of the building and straining at the blind-shades at the windows.

By the time you all make your ways back to the Reprieve's common room, you spot the biggest change of note: Arano no longer wears the sunny features of Arrun, the ambassador's house guard. What were once solid-set tanned features have receded into a weathered but decidedly fairer and more slender frame, raven-black hair tumbling down to his shoulders. The gate guard's clothes hang loose on him now, ill-fitting his new dimensions. He has a few scars on him, but carries them with a kind of open disdain. Amber coloured eyes flicker about, openly assessing his surroundings.

"I guess if we're all going to have a heart to heart," he speaks to your gathering, "I'm probably better off doing it in my own skin."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Short rest confirmed! All of you can mark that rest off on your sheets and regain any features or resources that you would get back during that time.

Now, I believe there is an interrogation to begin...?
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-19 at 08:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #695
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Professor Drake Shardstone

Drake followed the others into the inn, quiet but attentive. His eyes swept the room as they filled in, the mark of a man used to knowing his environment. As Kleris’ offer to be at ease, Drake nodded his thanks, meandering the main room with his fist cruces limp as he eyed the decor and any pictures or kitsch adorning the walls. He also marked any doors for exits, calculating which ones lead to further in the building and which ones might be an exit.

To the offer of food and drink, Drake raised his hand to politely decline. When Gryphon bid the group adieu, the dwarf glanced at their host, over to the three chained prisoners, then to Arimart. He bowed his head to the group. ”I think he has the right idea. If we will not be brow-beating any prisoners this evening, I’d just as soon rest for a minute and take a load off my hip. If you pardon me ... which way should I look for a room, sir?” The last was said to Kleris.

Once in his room, Drake took a few moments to gather the items he took from the dead Phiarlan and study them for a few minutes. Once he was done, he pulled out a notebook, writing down several names from the evening and any information he didn’t want to forget later. Most was written in a shorthand mix of several languages and roguish shorthand that would make deciphering his notes difficult. Then he cast a spell to notify him of an intruder and he took a quick nap.

After his brief rest, he released his alarm spell and rejoined the others, refreshed for his quick cap nap. He pulled Arimart aside first, whispering, ”A word, sir. I had though Lady Kett a friend of yours, and this affair with the manacles was part of a ruse. However, I see realize I do not understand the situation fully. Is she an ally or no? What is the situation with this man some have said is her husband, and why is there such animosity between him and a Master Kleris?”

OOC - is there time to cast identify on the sword? Cast alarm prior to resting
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 2/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd
    0: guidance, thaumatugy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor,

Effects: 60’ darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

As Drake comes back with the others and approaches Arimart, the now rested paladin answers him. "She is a companion, and has my trust on the matter. But things can get complicated when familiar ties are put on the table. I wish to unerstand as much as possible on this matter, and for now the situation works as it is. As for master Kleris, I don't know for sure what happened between the two of them, since I was busy fighting the Elemental."

Waiting for Gryphon to come back, Arimart sits in front of the now normally dressed Arano.

"Well, that's fine. Speak then, I think you may have some information to give us, and I am eager to listen. But first, one question: where is the real Arrun?"

Spoiler: Gryphon
    Show

When Gryphon comes back, Arimart will ask him to send messages to two different people: Berem Lann and Nyctessa Orolain:

Spoiler: Berem Lann
    Show

"Arimart by Gryphon. Tried to enter Thronehold but impossible. Magistrates attacked during party. Taralos dead, Navel safe. What is your situation?"

Spoiler: Nyctessa Orolain
    Show

"Arimart by Gryphon. Heard news of a possible attack on Maugrim. Thronehold closed down. Two new prisoners to bring in."

Last edited by CozJa; 2021-03-21 at 04:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris cracks his neck as he gets up, a few drinks and a nice easy meal helped restore some energy after the exhausting party. He goes and puts his empty plate back in the kitchen and grabs his shield from behind the counter, placing it on his back. He wanted all his gear before this started. As he returns to the main room Drake and Gryphon return from the rooms he had let them use, everything seems to be coming together and before he can figure a way to start Arano himself starts it up.

He had a moment when Arano was in a different form, the first thought screaming 'another changeling' to him. Then rationale took over and he realized he had been using a disguise magic of some sort. Now that the moment was here he wasn't sure how to start, so as Arimart starts off the questioning he just watches and starts to think of how to proceed.

'How can I proceed without exposing everything? Do I just come out and ask about Passage? Do I ask what missions he had done with changeling targets?'

Of course with the emotional turmoil there can't be just his own voice.

'Come clean and cut to the center of the problem! Find your answers and get your redemption!'

'Screw that noise, that Gryphon fellow had the right idea. Break his damn legs so that he can't run and rip the information from his mind with your magic. The others will get their answers.'

As his mind swirls with voices he waits for Arano's answer.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

"He's fine," Arano says smoothly, hint of a smile poking through before he puts it away. "I stalked him for a while to get his accent, mannerisms, and patrol route down before knocking him out and stashing him in a cupboard before the party started. He'll wake up half naked, embarrassed and with a nasty headache, but nothing he won't recover from."

The smile returns as he watches Kett; no longer hiding their connection seems to have brought some semblance of content to the operative, despite his circumstance. The moment he reaches out to try and say something, however, the elf is distracted by the jangling of the chain keeping his wrist attached to the half-orc's. Draci, for her part, isn't even trying to hide the amusement on her face as she surveys her surroundings.

"So," the knight adds into the interminable silence, flicking a bit of dried blood off of her wrist, "I know that I probably shouldn't say anything, but I can't help but feel like I'm intruding. Arano - it's Arano, right?"

"Got it in one."

"I'm sure that Arano here doesn't want an enemy combatant listening in on what I'm sure is very important clandestine information. I can try to drown you out by singing, but I don't think anyone wants that. Maybe I can go rest in one of those nice beds you mentioned?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-22 at 02:37 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Well you could always switch sides." Kett says absently without any malice or derision. She looks at no one in particular, apparently finding the ceiling terribly interesting all of a sudden.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Startled by Kett forwardness, a trait he did not expect to see in her, Arimart hesitates for a moment before answering the half-orc knight.

"You... may go rest..." he says, taking the manacles off the pair. "No need to keep them after all, don't think Arano is going to escape somewhere, and you may find it even less interesting. Master Kleris, do you think we can find a place for our forced guest?"

Before he answers, the Paladin looks at Draci "However, speak with us again when you are rested. We may end up with a better arrangement than an accusation of murder"

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake raised an eyebrow at Arimart’s response, but didn’t say anything. Instead he gave a single nod and walked into the room to find a seat where he could watch the proceedings.

If this is how a trusted companion is treated, I wonder if these are the allies I need. At this point I trust this Arano as much as anyone else. Of course Lady Kett did say they weren’t friends ...

At this point Drake was simply an observer. His interest was in finding the orrery, and time was running out. And of all those gathered, Kett (and possibly Arano) were the most likely to know the information he needed. The question was whether he could arrange a conversation with either of them alone.

Have a care, boyo ... if politics make strange lovers, you’re about to bed a quori... ”

OOC - is there time to cast identify on the sword? Cast alarm prior to resting
    Show
    Channel divinity 2/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-03-22 at 02:21 AM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Draci just snorts at Kett's suggestion. When the manacles come off with a quiet click, the half orc gives the paladin a nod of thanks before heading off to find somewhere she can get to close her eyes for a spell. Along the way she passes the emerging Drake and gives him a nod and hearty clap on the shoulder. "You seem nice enough, I liked your trick with the lordling. Apologies in advance if Lady Velacor orders me to kill you for that controller." Her voice never once wavers away from its conversational tone.

In her absence, Arano just looks at the rest of you with raised eyebrows and mouths the words 'not my problem'. The elf extends his elbow and flicks his wrist outward in a gesture of open indolence. Only Kett knows the man well enough to notice that he is being exceptionally careful to keep his back to the wall at all times, and that careful eyes have started noting the exits the moment the cuffs came off of him.

"You know about Arrun now," he declares, breaking the silence, "but surely you want to know more. You could have killed me the moment we were away from Solstice House, but you didn't... which leads me to believe at least that you're better than the competition."

He looks to his wife. "Kett seems to trust most of you, so I guess I have no other choice. Ask your questions, and I'll do my best to answer."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-23 at 12:52 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake smiled easily at the woman’s comments. I’m not sure I know what you mean - your Lady seemed to have a similar thought, as evinced by her departure. Seems even the most single-minded of folk can listen to reason.

But I’ll try to forgive you ... even if the death curse is less understanding...”
    With a wink and a nod, Drake continued on to join the others.

OOC - I have no idea what she’s talking about ...
    And even if it’s a fail, Deception - (1d20+3)[14] for the death curse ...hopefully the DC is low ...

Show
    Show
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart hides a small smile at Draci's words to Drake, then adjust himself on the seat while Arano offers to speak up.

"Let's start with what you already said: competition, for what, or whom? I can't help but notice that you were looking for Lady Layla and not for the controller people seemd so hyped up about."

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Aside from selling it, the thing's got no value to us." Kett shrugs, "What am we gonna do with it? Summon a bunch of fire elementals that go on a rampage and murder a bunch of unknowns?" A quiet snort of derision comes out of her nostrils, though she leaves the hanging question of what Drake plans for it unspoken. To her it seemed like little more than a tool of violence, which is probably why so many people wanted it. Was there an innocent reason to want it in their control? Maybe, but probably not. "Not really our style." She gently tips her head to Arano, prompting him to go into it further. She doesn't say outright that she doesn't know why they needed Layla - their little secret, and a united front showed more strength than one operating on different levels of information.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris snorts at Kett"So your saying aside from its use as something worth sixty thousand gold. Yes that is a great reason to make someone believe you aren't interested."

He turns to Arano instead "I don't believe you have made your way through Throneport and managed your set up for your kidnapping without backing, contacts, or someone at least footing the bill. Who have you been associated with in Throneport?"

As much as he wanted to address his own personal questions, that would wait until after this interrogation. Doing it now would just muddy the waters and burn bridges... he could wait a few minutes more.

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"And just look at how well it went the last time someone tried to sell it on." Kett rebuts theatrically, casting her arms around the room to denote their situation. "If you want a target painted on your back like that feel free, but leave me out of it. I wouldn't mind the money, but there's more important things in life than a fat purse."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

"Well," exhales the provocateur, "I might as well start at the beginning if this is all going to make sense to you. I'm going to need a glass of something to drink; does anyone have any wine?" He returns Kett's glance, understanding her intent perfectly well and matching her performance: his feet and shoulders are not pointed at her but rather squarely at the other three in the room, as though to say without speaking that she is already in on the secret.

"In case you weren't aware, my wife and I are not only members of House Phiarlan, but agents of the Serpentine Table. I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you haven't already heard of it somewhere." To prove his point, Arano takes off his bracer and holds out his left arm palm up to the ceiling, where you see the signature silvery scar in the shape of a coiling maze: a dragonmark. You can see that within the negative space around the contours of the natural mark, a rippling aurora of tattooed tableaus has been added in loving detail. Judging by the relative colour saturation of the scenes, you feel confident in assuming that they have been added over the course of multiple years.

They're trophies, you realize, and after your eyes adjust it's only too obvious what each one represents.

"Near two months ago, I was contacted by someone... a figure who my house trusts very much, who shall remain anonymous. Suffice it to say that they don't often get involved in the day-to-day, but when they do they should be taken at their word. This person told me that a unique artifact had been forged here in Throneport, one with deep ties to both my house and House Thuranni."

Arano clenches his left fist together, and you see patterns of light gliding through the mark underneath his skin. It surges back and forth through the different channels, and gradually the elf relaxes his hand. Directly above it floats the newly-born image of what appears to be a grimoire bound in silver and jet. The latter is not merely figurative language either: the cover literally appears to be made with bound and riveted crystal plates that absorb the light perfectly. The spine is covered in glyphs of a tongue that only one of you can read, and on the cover are emblazoned two beasts wrapped in a savage death's embrace around the circumference of a smooth onyx eclipse: a hydra and a displacer beast.

"This is the Umbral Codex. If my source is accurate - and in over two hundred years, they've never been wrong once - then this tome is bound to the Mark of Shadow. More than that; I've been lead to understand that it is the mark, made manifest in another form. Though calling it either a tome or an codex is something of a misnomer." He makes a small circular motion in the air with his index and middle fingers and the book snaps open, spilling out smoky darkness that eventually coalesces into a very particular shape. You see the dips and curves of Lake Galifar, the grooves of Scion's Sound, the telltale ridges of Ironroot Mountains. Here is the pallid face of Khorvaire itelf, unfurling before your eyes.

"It's a map." With his free hand, Arano points to the surface, where you can see pinpricks of absence, dozens - no, hundreds at least - moving all over. Just like colonies of dislodged ants, they scurry about in little colonies around the sites of marked cities. Several settlements in particular stand out as large congregations of the dots. Fairhaven. Wroat. Thaliost. Flamekeep. Sharn. Regalport.

"The Umbral Codex tracks, in real time, the location of every living elf who has manifested the Mark of Shadow. That is what I'm after, sir: a weapon so definitive that when Phiarlan and Thuranni send their worst for it - and they will, if they haven't already - that the Shadow Schism will look like some two-bit skirmish. And I have every reason to believe that Layla ir'Sencriss either has it on her person or knows exactly where it is, because the Dark Lantern case agent who was using her to infiltrate her father's house for an entirely unrelated mission trusted it to her before he died. I wish to destroy it before it can be uncovered by either house and used to bring about the mass destruction of the shadowmarked bloodlines, including my own."

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show
    "So passes the curse of knowledge."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-08 at 05:11 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ogre in the Playground

Listening to Arano's explanation, Arimart tries is best to keep his gaze unmoving, while he mentally gasps and pictures himself widening his eyes and mouth more and more as the story goes on.
    "Such an instrument could prove to be a terrible weapon, but it could be definitely useful." He thinks, considering immediately after how a thing such as this could be the wet dream of every Zil ruler, and entire spy groups could offer entire kingdoms worth of money to get their hand on it. Immediately, different plans start to build up in the Paladin's mind. In some of them, he and his companions are able to secure this object, while in others he considers how he could use it for the best. "By the Flame! Stop yourself madman! One step at a time!"
    Stopping his interlocking trains of thought, the Khoravar looks at Arano and Kett, wondering if this thing is not becoming too great for them all to handle.

"So... let me get this straight: You thought that a misteroius artifact of immense power could be in the hand of a kid, and your plan consisted in trying to kidnap her in front of her father? Without even knowing how and if she has the Codex? You speak about the Shadow Schism, but I doubt that you have learnt anything by it...

However... What you are saying is deeply worrying. If this Umbral Codex is discovered it could have terrible consequences. Given that what you are saying is true, and I assume it is judging by the fact that your wife trust you, I still have questions: First of all, how do you know about the Dark Lanter's mission, and how do you know that the agent died? And are you sure that he left the device in the hands of Lady Layla?"

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake sat quietly as Arano spoke, clearly engaged in what the man had to say. However, beneath the placid look on his face, his mind was roiling with thoughts over the ach new bit of information. The story, was fascinating, but the challenge would be deciphering what was true and what was as elaboration.

Serpentine Table ... spymasters, not killers as I recall. But unless I miss my mark, these two have certainly practiced both. And taking direction from outside the House ... who would that anonymous person be?

As the Phiarlan created the illusory image of a tome, Drake frowned as the man explained its purpose.
    A map? This could be the death knell to two Houses ... and set back spying for centuries. But ... but what if this could could be repeated for any Mark? And end to the power of all Dragonmarks? This could spell the greatest disaster since the destruction of Cyre ...

The dwarf shifted subconsciously, scratching his side. This entire situation had taken a turn from bad to worse to cataclysmic. The Index was important in and of itself, but what if the creators? What cabal would do such a thing? A group who feared discovery by the House of Shadows, certainly ... but there was more to all of this than two plus two .... what quadratic hell could be unleashed upon the world?

Given the potential damage, it was clear to any fool why someone would risk all to gain control of the codex, kidnapping, murder, mayhem.

But you’re not just any fool, are you boyo? Of course such an item would explain, may justify any means. So what aren’t you telling us Arano? Are you a simple man saving his house? Or are you on assignment to recover this? The other Phiarlans ... you didn’t bat an eye at them, but neither did you seem to act in concert ... did you set them up, or did you already know about their mission? Or are you working for someone else ... perhaps a sister house?

Damn, but this is a roiling out of intrigue I want no part of! And yet ...

There was more Drake needed to know. He considered asking, but when Arimart spoke, the knight opened the door and saved him the effort.

Yes, my friend ... what day you to that?

OOC - Ooh boy. Guess maybe a check for who would gain the most from such a weapon (aside from the Five Nations and Dragonmarks Houses)
    Show
    Show

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris murmurs as he reads the draconic "So passes the curse of knowledge."

He pauses for second, "Well thats ominous."

He looks incredulously at Arano as he claims the little girl was in on this and then an idea slithers into his head.

'He can't lie if you compel him not too... and if you make use of that later then even better.

Kleris straightens and looks at Arimart and then at Arano. "Well this sounds pretty... incredulous. To say the least. However I would like to use some magic to confirm the truth of your words, at least from your own perspective. It isn't harmful and I can tell if you let it take hold of you. If I use the spell to try and do something harmful then the Prosecutor and your wife will stop me."

He doesn't wait for an answer, Kleris channels the magic and magic imbues his voice. "Sit here and answer our questions truthfully."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Use Suggestion on Arano.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~4 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: Silence (10 minutes remaining).

"Not happening." Kett counters, muttering the short mantra. She holds out one hand and snaps her fingers, but no sound emanates. Instead, a bubble of silence. Utter silence, beyond mere peace and quiet. Silence that throws one off their balance and makes one question senses. It goes up in a moment, engulfing Kett and Arano completely, and anyone else who happens to be within twenty feet of the two. It's not enough though. She gestures to Arano to shut his eyes, or at least avert them for the time being. On the off hand chance that the information could pierce the silence bubble, she couldn't have him reading Kleris' lips and answering something that then has his lips read.

She folds her arms, daggers staring into Kleris. Then, just as both Nailos have done on a number of occasions, she holds out a hand and beckons magic to appear. Illusory words, sketched upon an illusory scroll, to cover the soundless space between them. Her sentences are short, to the point, with blocky 'penmanship' more akin to a printing press than anything handwritten. "Discussion ends unless all magic dismissed. Have Gryphon verify."

Spoiler: Action
    Show

Expend 2 ki to cast Silence, centred on Arano's current position.

Minor illusion to create the words.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-03-26 at 03:39 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #713
    Titan in the Playground

Arano settles back in his chair at Arimart's chiding, the only clue as to his feelings the upward twitching at the corner of his lips. "Yes, perhaps next time I should walk up to the - correctly, if tonight's event was any indication - rumored to be less-than-forgiving Ambassador from Thrane, tell him that a Dark Lantern left a continent-wide intelligence asset with his nine year old girl, and could I please speak to her alone so that I could suss out where he might have secreted it away? I'm sure that conversation would have gone over fantastically."

The spy makes no pretence of avoiding his wife's gaze now. He holds it for a long moment, before reaching for an item tucked away in a back pocket. The parcel is wrapped in a dark forest green cloth, which he unwraps slowly and quite gingerly. In front of you all is a book; not anything near as ornate as the image of the Codex, yet all the more real. It has a simple leather spine, and is worn at the edges with a tarnished steel clasp at the heart of its binding.

"The answers to all of your questions is in here: Kasimir's journal. I found it tucked away in a dead drop just outside where he was staying in town, the Silver Sparrow inn and tavern. Of course it uses a book code cipher and each entry uses a different book, but I managed to crack a few of the more recent logs. That's how I learned about his connection with Layla, about the original mission he had to steal the planar orrery for his bosses back in Wroat, and about what he did with the Codex once he had in his possession." The elf shakes his head.

"There's still a lot left unclear in these pages, though maybe together we can figure it out."

It's at this precise moment that Kleris takes action. As he casts his spell, there is a faint ringing in the air that follows his words as if he had just brought thunder into the Reprieve. Kett is already moving, the Phiarlan-in law snapping her fingers to douse out all noise in the immediate vicinity. All of you go from hearing the ringing of 'truthfully' right to the moment before getting sucked in by the encroaching tide: utter silence.

Arano closes his eyes... and then opens them. He frowns slightly at both parties, and another flick of the wrist sees an elegant set of letter scratched into the air above Kett's own message. It looks perfectly practiced, as though he has spent a lazy afternoon once a year performing the spell for years. It's quite likely he has.

'It might have escaped your attention, but I'm already sitting here and answering your questions truthfully. That said, I won't resist your magic. I can read lips; feel free to ask me if I've lied to you so far, see if you like my answer. However, once you confirm that much, I will ask you politely to drop your spell so we can all continue a more civilized conversation.'
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-08 at 05:12 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris sighs without sound as the silence descends on him, he ignores Ketts message. His spell would last for hours so if she wanted to turn this into a waiting game then he felt confident that his own magic would win out. He starts to get up to go find some paper in the office to write his questions on when Arano puts his message up beside the previous one.

He thinks for a moment then shrugs and starts to mouth to Arano "Well no offense but even if you have told the truth up to now, and we do confirm that, then dropping the spell could let you lie in the last few minutes of conversation. If you give us ten minutes of truthful questioning I'll drop the magic and any issues from tonight. I'll even pay for a new fake identity if you want one."

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

Arano simply nods his head in assent, as clear a sign as any to continue your questions as a group. It seems as though the elf has little else to say until pressed at this point; his focus is fixed on Kleris and Arimart in equal measure, as the two that seem to have taken point as his interrogators.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-03-30 at 06:34 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

The changeling in disguise grins at the enchanted man. Questions swirling around in his mind, he had ten minutes of questions and while he did need to actually interrogate the elf he didn't need to only interrogate him over this night.

'Ease into the hard stuff Kleris, don't blow your load to quickly.'

'While crude he has a point, take your time and be thorough in this matter. If its something you care for you won't rush the end.

He speaks silently "Lets start off simple. Have you lied to us since we got into this inn? What was your plan if everything had gone successfully? Does anyone else know any part of your plans in the city? The person, who shall not be named. Is it possible they are working multiple sides in this situation. What is your current plan at this moment in time, to find the book?"

27. - Top - End - #717
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She pinches Arano's shoulder in a clear We'll have words about this later, meaning, before slipping out of the Silence bubble, though making sure to keep both Kleris and Arano within jumping distance if she needs to suddenly jump in. Whatever questions were asked she needed to hear them too, and if he was set on cooperating under duress then she'd have to do whatever it took to keep him from making a bigger mistake later. That's what wives were for, after all - being the 'better' half.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

With a single quirk of the brow and pursing of the lips, Arano manages to make a compliant stare to Kleris give the distinct impression of him rolling his eyes. Truly, there can be no mistaking him from anyone but Kett's partner. The responses come as matter of fact, ensorcelled into existence upon the same invisible canvas at the elf's back.

'I have not told any lies since arriving at this inn. My initial plan was to take the girl Layla, procure the Umbral Codex and then drop her off at a safe location for her father to come collect her. Once I had the Codex in hand, I would see to destroying it, as well as any trace or agent in this city capable of recreating it. I doubt anyone besides yourselves would be aware of it.

Now that you have me somewhat at your mercy, my plan is to cooperate and have faith that my wife made allies who aren't going to summarily execute us or exploit this opportunity to my family's disadvantage.'
    The spy moves his hands outwards at your numbers to punctuate his point. 'By sharing information, I hope to gain some common ground and maybe work with you to find the Codex. We will need access to Layla ir'Sencriss again, that is for certain, though we may also find out more from deciphering more of Kasimir's journal.'

The only time that Arano pauses is when asked about the unknown player. 'It is not only likely, but a near certainty. This person's intelligence is never at fault, but their loyalty is a complicated affair.'
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-08 at 05:13 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris nods along, questions about the night mostly satisfied for now. There were some complications regarding the person with the information who set this in motion but everything else seemed on the level. Now was the time for the make or break. His real questions. Kett had moved out of the bubble, the others couldn't hear him and he had the elf under his compulsion.

He scoots forward the chair slightly and leans in the direction of Arano, leaning his chin onto the back of his clasped hands as he rests his elbows on his knees.

He mouths the words to Arano again, "All right. Well you seem to be trustworthy on this front. I'm satisfied with everything you have answered me with. I just have a final pair of questions that will easily place me in your debt and happily on your side if answered... to my satisfaction."

His eyes burn as he asks his questions and three different voices are missed in the silence "Where is the Changeling Joi? What role did you or Kett play, if any, in the purging of a Changeling Clan in Passage eight years ago by the Puritans of the Sovereign Host and Phiarlan Agents?"

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

The shift in stance was minor, but enough to get her attention. It was threatening, in a way that she can't let lie. She clicks her fingers, throwing up a larger parchment in front of Arano. "Back off, before I make you back off." The words are scrawled in the same large, blocky typeface, clear enough to read by any of them. It didn't stop Arano answering the question, but it was a clear message that violence would be breaking out unless Kleris toned it back immediately. Whatever the question was, if Arano replied with too much they would have to kill everyone in this room other than the two of them, and that would almost certainly risk tearing her dress.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC