New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Between the back and forth of spells, threats and questions, the paladin looks disconcerned by the inabilty of his previously calmer companions to end a 'conversation' without recurring to subterfuge.
    As Arano Kett and Kleris continue their dance, Arimart raises up and leaves the Silence bubble, just moments before Kett makes the same move.

"Please miss Kett, there is no reason to insist with this, and deafening half of us may be an unsound tactic given our situation... Master Kleris, stop your spell, Arano already demonstrated his eagerness to collaborate. We can count on him not lying to us for at least the next few hours."

As he says this, he notices that Kleris walks in the Silence zone to reach Arano, hopefully to stop this charade.
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-03-31 at 05:25 PM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Arano's face is blank, though like Kett he does seem to be registering the shifts on some level. 'I don't know anyone by the name Joi,' comes his reply to the air, visible for all to see, 'and neither Kett nor I were part of any purging of any changeling clans. Eight years ago we were on different assignments, neither around Passage.'

The elf nods his head towards Arimart. 'Your ally is asking you to desist. For the sake of courtesy and your face being not yet rearranged by my wife, I will ask one last time that you drop your spell. I am not harming you, and whatever it is you clearly think I've done, my hands are clean of it.'
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Sask slouches, all the fury and fire that had been keeping him upright all night since Arano came within his grasp vanished. There was... nothing here. No lead nothing, had Yig been wrong? He had been so sure that the lead would be Arano knowing where Joi was or working with him or something. He puffs his cheeks and blows out the air with his eyes wide. "Six Damn It"

Sask catches Kett and Arimarts eye and waves, breaking the spell he had on Arano. He gets up and walks over to the bar where he pours a stiff drink of the first hard alcohol he can find, pounds it, and then pours another one to nurse.

After that he rejoins the others, Kleris bows slightly "I'm done, clearly I was mistaken. Working with incorrect information or something. Sorry Madam Kett. You have my apologies, as does your very patient and delightful husband. Please take the master bedroom for the night whenever we wrap up here."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~4 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: --

She waits until Arano shows he can stand up, negating the 'sit' clause of the instruction, before she drops the silence completely. "Shall we put you under a little truth telling spell next, Arimart? See how you like it when suddenly you've not got control on what secrets you can leave out, one misworded question away from dooming you and everyone in your immediate vicinity?" Kleris' apology left a lot to be desired for her, and she didn't trust him as far as she could throw him, apparent conciliatory gesture or not. "Somehow I doubt you'd be so willing to let this little assault go if it was physical instead of magical." She's been on edge for hours now, and with relatively good reason to be. The only solace is linking hands with her husband again, even if she's still quietly mad at him a little bit. A lot of bit, really. It wasn't ruinous, she'd be past it in the morning. She's not even thinking about why Kleris might be asking about changeling clans at the moment, though the little seed is settling into the soil of her mind.

"So we've put up with Kleris'...whatever that was. We've told you our situation. We've told you our goals and our plans. Any other questions? Drake?" She gestures to the otherwise quiet owner of the Orrery. Since the phiarlans now had his stolen (in more ways than one) property she was expecting something from him.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Professor Drake Shardstone

When Arano pulled out the book, Drake’s eyes narrowed. He noticed the man didn’t answer how he knew the agent was dead. However, before he could mention the omission, the one named Kleris cast a familiar spell and called for the manacled spy to sit and answer truthfully. Then, before anyone could question the man, a blanket of silence fell across the room and Kett issued her silent ultimatum.

Drake blinked for a moment, then threw back his head in laughter. I knew there was something about her I liked ... well played, lass!

As the dwarf composed himself in silence as Arano made it immediately obvious that he was still willing to cooperate. Kleris obliged the man with a series of questions that quickly took a dark, and obviously personal, turn ... with a backdrop of not-so-subtlely implied violence. While Drake couldn’t see the questions, he inferred quite a bit from the answers. He felt his own back tensing with anticipation, but fortunately the answers seemed to mollify the situation.

As the silence lifted, Kett let them know she was not pleased. She demanded they finish the interrogation... the last with a direct question to Drake. He smiled, nodding his head politely.

A bold move lass ... but one that changes the direction of questioning, as well as fishing for my interest in these affairs. The real question is how much trust do I offer this volatile group?

Aloud, he said, ”Aye, lass, I do have a few questions for your husband. But I’ll ask you give me fair warning before you brain me for walking down the ‘wrong’ line of questioning.

Sir, you realize my primary interest in all of this - I seek the orrery. But members of your own House seem to be competitors. What do you know about their mission and who they are reporting to? Do you know where counted shadows is and would you be willing to help me find it? And you didn’t say why you think the Dark Lantern agent was dead - what led you to that conclusion?”

After a moment, he added, ”And if you require assistance, I would be honored to help decipher that text. Cryptography is an interest and of mine.”

OOC - sorry for the delay!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 2/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd
    0: guidance, thaumatugy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor,

Effects: 60’ darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"The House of Counted Shadows is one of the Phiarlan enclaves in town." Kett answers at least in part in Arano's place. "Chances are most information brokers can point you in the right direction for a price. I'm familiar with it, but despite the...unorthodox nature of our task we're not out to be making enemies. If you're planning on making war on the Phiarlans then we can't - and won't - help with that." Lia's precarious state is never far from her mind. The task she was given could still be justified as intact if necessary, Arano as a path to the Codex, but the window in which that was true was narrowing. It would stay open long enough for them though. It had to. She chooses to believe that. "If you want to negotiate on the return of 'your' property though, that might be something I can assist with, at least. Not this one though," she gently ruffles her husband's hair with clear affection, "he's got other stuff on his plate."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ogre in the Playground

As Arano answers to Kleris, Arimart reads everything and is surprised to see that it may have to do with something he has no idea about, maybe asking his fellow holy warrior something more about his darker faith and, as it looks like, his equally obscure past, could be a good idea.

But for now it has to wait, as a plan is slowly forming in his head.

"After you answer professor Shardstone's questions I'll be fine, for now I don't have anything to question you for. But, given the important informations you disclosed, we have to lay out a plan." He looks at Kett and Arano, noticing how the woman he knew until now only as a capable fighter and an accomplished liar may be more invested in the simple facts of life than she wants to show.

"I think we should imprison Arano." He says it as the most obvious thing in the world, trying his best as to not seem menacing in front of the couple. "We need to find a way to ingratiate the Ambassador, and your cover is obviously blown. Kleris was able depart in friendly terms, and Gryphon is clearly going to be Lady Layla's hero for the next days; I think we should start with this leverage and earn more of the ambassador trust. As you know, by now he only has one wish: You behind bars. And we can grant it. I think we can arrange this and, if you want, I'm pretty sure we can find a prison from where getting away is not out of the question."

Realizing how difficult all this must be both for Arano and Kett, Arimart chooses to give them some time.
    "However, I understand that this can be a difficult decision to make. Spend the night together, I imagine you will have many things to speak about, we will discuss our best course of action when we are all awake and well rested."

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

Freed from silence and compulsion alike, Arano grasps his wife's hand and holds on tight. The smile that crosses his face turns to slight grimace in its aftermath. Although the talks are yet to come, it would seem he knows which house he's really sleeping in tonight. He lets out a little sigh, entirely audible now, looking back at last at Drake.

"They are being manipulated, I suspect. House Thuranni has an agent in the city who followed my trail - a changeling by the name of Lady Dox - and I believe she infiltrated their ranks to use them against me." The Serpentine agent stretches himself out and heads to the bar to pour himself a drink alongside Kleris. In doing so, he looks at his former questioner head on.

"Whatever compelled you to take up action against me tonight," he murmurs barely loud enough for everyone to hear, "know that I will not seek any revenge for myself or my wife. I don't know your crusade, but I know the look of someone on a mission."

After offering to make Kett a drink as well, Arano returns to her side. "I don't know what negotiations will be had with the Phiarlan enclave if Dox is among them. She likely planned on my reaching out to use them, or return to Counted Shadows once I had gotten the Codex where she could steal it from me. The elves who attended the party were surely there on false orders. I would recommend caution if we approach, as she could have forces in wait to ambush us.

As for how I know Kasimir is dead... he says so himself, in his last entry." He tosses the book to the dwarf. "If you are truly a cryptographer, you will fare even better than I will."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-09-17 at 10:12 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake was attentive, listening closely to both Kett and Arano. The husband and wife were an interesting pair - lions amongst wolves. And like a pair of lions, the male was certainly deadly, but the female worried him more. When Arano tossed the book, he caught it with a gloved hand and set it down next to him. He flashed the man a quick grin, then cast a cantrip to look for mystical wards.

The master stroke ... but there are still many more moves left to play.

Aloud, he said, ”Give me a moment and I’ll see if I can figure anything out. Meanwhile, I recommend you figure out another idea for how to build a rapport with the Ambassador. Instead of prison, might I suggest a brutal death at the hands of an enraged captor?”

OOC - what skill for checking the book?!
    Show
    Channel divinity 2/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x0): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She takes the drink from Arano with a smile, though in truth she's still not entirely convinced of Kleris' intentions. "Going to generously assume you mean faking my husband's death there," Kett says, not entirely happy with Drake's wording, "Which is all well and good unless someone asks where the body is. I don't exactly have a lot of attractive elf corpses on hand as a substitute, and I get the feeling that making some would be frowned upon. Any talk of imprisonment is probably premature while Thronehold is in lockdown and, apparently, inaccessible, so I expect we'll need Gryphon's input first." Then came the question of what she should be doing about Dox. Everyone seemed to be a little bit compromised at the moment, and though her fists held some sway she didn't have a lot of political positioning in the house. She raises the drink to her lips, for a moment watching the liquids toss here and there from the motion. Ever shifting to fit the container. Just like Lady Dox and...

Kleris. Ah. There it was. The candle flickers alight in her mind as it fits into place. The sudden disappearance and reappearance at the party, the smooth talking, and most pressingly the emotional outburst. Either he was one or he knew one, and Betash's Razor suggested the former. He'd just gone up in her estimations from 'tool' to 'useful tool'. If Dox was going to play appearance games they could do it too, and now he owed them for the troubles of tonight. That'd be a morning topic however, best discussed over breakfast, most likely. It would give her time to ruminate on it more, talk it over with Arano, plan forwards. If she was wrong she was wrong and nothing was lost either way.

She lapses into silence, awaiting the results of Drake's cursory examination of the encoded journal.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #731
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake snorted. ”Unless you have a resurrection spell handy, yes ... a faked death would be less costly. However, I presume you have no requirement to parade a corpse back to the Ambassador. The stage is already set, given the display Master Kleris made at the mansion. You even have the perfect foil if you choose, in Master Gryphon.”

OOC - Drake will just review the last pages ... but will at least check to make sure the handwriting is consistent through a random sampling of entries.
    Show
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Holding the book out under the light for all to see, it would seem a small thing, save for the secrets that surely lie within. Drake's perusal of the journal finds it to be decently well-kept, binding falling open to a maddening cipher of words and phrases that make no sense at all. Even the dates of the entries seem to be encoded, following no cousin of logical reason or mathematical equation that the dwarf can discern. In fact, the only thing that remains consistent from page to page is the very handwriting that the professor is looking for: the little flourishes under the 'j', 'p', and 'm' characters and the tight control of the space speaks to an organized mind.

"If I have any input," Arano chimes in with a weak chuckle, "I'd also prefer a faked death, though my lovely wife does have a point that we'd need a reasonable corpse. I was in disguise as Arrun for most of my time spent visible around Solstice House, so we would need to find a body matching his as closely as possible." He doesn't voice any further implications down that road, choosing to take a sip of his drink instead. He gives Kett one of their meaningful nods before looking back at the rest of you.

"Well this has been fun, and we should definitely never do it again sometime, but I think it might be time for the two of us to retire. Should we reconvene in the morning?"

Kett

With the formalities taken care of, the two of you find yourselves alone in the master bedroom that Kleris has lent you, looking out over the street and the sounds of the night harbour. There is a large queen size bed that dominates the floorspace, with an armoire in one corner and a tidy if modest washbasin in the other. The rug is scratched and faded in places, and the paint on the ceiling is chipping away, but it will serve just as well for your needs.

Arano stands in the middle of the space, taking in the great wide dark beyond. "I'm sorry you had to go through that," he says, though to which event he's referring is unclear. "When we're sure that nobody's listening, I will explain what I can."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-06 at 02:06 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

At least the worst of it was over for now. One door shut, one path trod, still more yet to go before freedom but she was steps closer to the end goal. "'Someone's always listening'," she quotes one of their teacher's lessons with a smile, though it slips off her face quickly enough. "I wasn't exactly keeping a low profile you know. Had a horse race through the streets, got pulled in front of a tribunal - it went fine, by the way - and some brawls in the street to boot. You could've..." ...contacted me. She cuts off before she can say it though. Kett sighs, a bit disappointed with herself for feeling this way. Needy, almost. She switches topic to avoid voicing the question. Why didn't you tell me anything? She could've helped. Maybe they'd already have the codex if he'd just told her. At the very least the party would've gone better if she'd had some pre-knowledge. Maybe not, but at least she wouldn't have been fumbling in the dark.

"Lia put on a brave face when I left but I know she's not okay. She thinks she's losing a parent at the end of this, possibly both of us." All the strength and tension in her body starts to wash away in the face of the disappointment she has in herself. Everything that's built up over the evening, all the hectic action, the arguments, the frustrations that she'd held up inside herself, barely restrained, it all crashes down. Despite everything, despite her best efforts to do better, it wasn't enough. She can't stand feeling like that alone, and pulls her husband into a tight hug, her face pressed into his chest. "We're failing her." Her voice cracks a little, even with the muffle. There's a moment of pause as they both just hold the moment of each other together, minds afire with conflicting emotions firing on all cylinders at once. Relief. Regret. Love. Frustration. Comfort. Concern. She shifts, her head, looking up at him. their faces inches apart, her violet eyes sinking into the blue sea of his. "Everything." She mumbles again. "Not just what you can. Tell me everything. The sooner we fix this, the sooner we're back home together." The moment of weakness hasn't gone, but it's lessened, and she's working her way up to resolute again. They still had a job to do, and wavering wouldn't help anyone.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

Arano returns the hug when you initiate it, toned arms wrapped around your waist as he pulls you in to nestle in the embrace. You feel rather than see the weight of his head resting upon yours and for a moment, you feel like you could just close your eyes and everything would be okay. He says nothing at first, just listening to you speak and turning his own gaze down towards you. Though it would be impassive to most, it's a visage you've studied well; you know the course of wistfulness, of longing and regret and concern in weight of his brows and the direction of his lips, much the same as your own.

"Lia won't lose us. She can't." When the words come, they are bedrock, spoken in the elven tongue. "She's family, and we protect family always. That's why I came here, and why I was hoping you wouldn't follow me. You were my blind: nobody could question you about my disappearance if you didn't know where I was, nor could your loyalty or Lia's be called into question. Damn Taen for sending you anyway."

Eventually, he pulls back slightly from the hug to avoid craning his neck to meet your eyeline, exhaling with the same exhaustion that you feel. "I'll tell you everything I know then, and we can work on that fix. I got word from the Shadow Seer that an artifact capable of destroying the houses of the Mark of Shadow was about to surface in Throneport, and that I should follow the trail of an agent named Kasimir who operated here. They told me that House Thuranni had also been notified, as it was their concern as well as ours. I have no idea why the Shadow Seer chose me and not any of the barons, but when I learned what the Umbral Codex can do, I wasn't about to just give it over to Baron Elvinor. I don't trust her not to try to use it as a weapon. We have to find and destroy it, Kett - as long as it and the capability to create another exist, we can't leave this city. Until then, everyone back home we care about is at risk.

I told the truth in there about everything else: following Kasmir's last steps, uncovering his journal, learning of the Codex being either held by or known by Layla... your group knows as much as you do about that. If you can get into ir'Sencriss's good graces and gain access to Layla, then hopefully we get the Codex and set about destroying it. From there, we will need to work backwards to find out how it was made and by who, and destroy them too. Decrypting the journal is our best lead on that score."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-08 at 09:19 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"I think we'll be relying on Gryphon with ir'Sencriss. At least if we lean on him we can always flee to Droaam when this all goes pearshaped," she chuckles mirthlessly. "It would've been nice if they'd taken our family situation into account before putting you on this job..." she trails off again, her mind ticking away, "unless that is why they put you on this, and they expected me to follow?" She didn't much like that conclusion, but it made some sense. Couldn't risk word getting out about it, so they put Arano on it expecting Kett to be dispatched, knowing she'd stick by her husband and then they'd have two agents loyal to the task instead of one. That level of insight into the inner workings of Phiarlan seemed both too far reaching and entirely reasonable at the same time for the Shadow Seer. It didn't make her feel any better about the effects on Lia but it at least let her believe there was some structure to the events instead of random chance. It helps to centre her mind a little, to look at the problem more logically, step by step. Layla wasn't something Kett or Arano especially could address, so the next step was the Codex itself. Its destruction and construction both.

"There can't be more than a few people on the planet with the magical knowhow and resources to make something like the Codex, and even fewer of them in Throneport specifically, and anyone with that sort of power has to be famous to some extent. You don't start making artifacts that can shape the world without someone taking notice. I guess we start there. They'd probably know how to destroy it too, since I'm guessing we can't just toss it in a fireplace or sink it in the sea. Binding something to a dragonmark," she starts guessing, at this point, based mostly off of Lia's theories more than her own, "probably means they've used someone who has that mark, either themself or a 'volunteer', in its creation? Maybe? That only helps if they were a phiarlan though, and even then the enclave's compromised." Her hand finds itself rubbing through her hair as the thoughts start branching off faster than her mouth can voice them. It was too much all at once. Rather than feel like she knew too little she knows enough now to guess too far. Darkness still marred the path ahead, but at least it was lit a bit more than before. "Anything else?" A smile creeps back in. "I'm hoping not, I think we've got too much on our plates as it is."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

For once Kett is going to try a knowledge check. Guessing history for details of (in)famous arcanists in Throneport?

(1d20)[16]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

"Alright, so the wizard is our in with the Ambassador. If Layla or Danilos like him, then getting access to the Codex should be easy," Arano muses. He doesn't comment on the dealings of House Phiarlan, meaning that it's highly unlikely he knows any more about it than you do. Any guesses as to the motives behind your assignment would be mere speculation at this point.

"Regarding the Codex, I think you're right. The journal speaks of a possible creator, a figure named 'V', and lists her as female. Throneport is a city, but it's not the biggest pool of water and there are only so many fish of note. Other than the Tribunal, the only people I can think of with any claim to the wealth or power to pull off creating an artifact like that would be one of the official ambassadors, like ir'Sencriss. We should be able to safely cross him off the list - if he had made the Codex, he would have been selling that tonight instead of the orrery - but there aren't too many people for us to check in on." He stops. "There is also the underworld to consider. I've only been here for a few weeks, but I've heard rumor of one mastermind who could be either a suspect or an ally. He goes by the name Izar Abelian. We might want to reach out to him discreetly; do any of the others have a line on him?"

When asked about there being anything else, the dragonmarked elf pauses again. Something ugly crosses his face where once there was thoughtfulness.

"There is one more thing. It's about your 'friend' Kleris. He asked me about Passage, the massacre of a changeling den there eight years ago; he wanted to know if you or I were involved in the killings." Your husband lets out a rattling sigh. "Obviously we weren't... but Ilyana was there. She told me about a mission she was on in Passage that went sideways there around that time; something about her contacts giving her bad information, and putting down a lot of people. If Kleris learns that my sister was somehow responsible... the look in his eyes, Kett, this is personal for him. He won't back down. He will try to kill her if he finds out."

He paces the room restlessly. "When this is done - the Codex, the creator, all of it - we may need to kill him before he gets the chance."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-08 at 09:28 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"The tiefling." Kett remembers Izar mostly for the atrocious clothing. "Looks like he can't dress himself but insists on doing so anyway? He showed up here after his name was thrown about a bit recklessly, insisted he was retired though no one ever really retires from this sort of life. There's a path to make contact if we want it." She slips her fingers between Arano's at the news of the potential danger on Ilyana. Comforting him. "Family first, always. I'll warn everyone in the morning to stay away from my family - shouldn't raise suspicion considering what's happened today - and then we'll use him for all he's worth, exhaust him, and then put him down." There's no pleasure taken in it aside from the safety the words bring, but there's no regret either. If Kleris ended up on a track that would put him at odds with her then there was only ever one result for the two of them. The best Kleris could hope for was that he would be remembered by people not stupid enough to try to avenge him.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

"You've met him? That's good, it should speed up our timeline. I doubt he's retired, likely he's just tired of running street plays and has people to do that for him now. So we play to his vanity, get to him when he's just won some victory and get the info when his guard is down." Arano rolls his eyes and grins; you both know the type. For the barest moment, it's only the two of you reminiscing about the quickest way to a target. Just like old times. Then you blink, your eyes suddenly hot, and everything else comes crashing back.

Arano takes your hand, recognizing it for the gesture of solidarity it is and offers you a warm, genuine smile. "I'm relieved to hear you say that. I was worried that you'd made friends you wouldn't want to turn on - if you've no attachments there, then we should start coming up with a plan to take him out as soon as we're ready to put Throneport behind us." And then your husband is there, arms wrapped around you for a second time. When he speaks, you don't see his lips move but you hear his words all the same, feel the vibrations deep in his chest.

"Something to think about. We've got time."

Regrouping

Morning finds nothing outside your windows other than blistering slate and pissing rain. Evidently, the month of Therendor has seen fit to take one last opportunity to pour on Throneport, as last night's storm has yet to abate. Visibility outside the Reprieve is poor enough that even the ships at harbour are but vague shadows beyond the glass, all noise drowned out by the 'shhhh' of the weeping heavens' tide.

When you all rise to greet the day, you find a prepared breakfast to be absent. With the staff dismissed for the evening, there is nobody about to serve you, so you are all left to your own devices to fend for yourselves. The Reprieve doesn't have a lot of fresh food, but the pantry is well stocked with biscuits and enough cured meats and other sundry items to fill your bellies. Finding some kindling and small logs, along with copies of old broadsheets and herald papers, Arano immediately gets a fire going in the fireplace to chase out the chill that clings to the stones and floorboards of the common area, giving everyone a little smile and wave as they arrive.

Thankfully, there's no evidence that anything in here was disturbed during the evening: the doors and windows remain bolted, meanwhile the inventories of booze and what little coin has come in of late are untouched. Of the seats and tables, you find no sign of tampering either: they are precisely where you left them last. All is as it should be, at least physically. What the future will bring is another story, and is still entirely up to you.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-06 at 10:44 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Troll in the Playground

Having been the first to bed, Gryphon in the first to wake in the morning. The sound of the rain against the roof of the building was comforting, but waking up in burned clothes, without Spritz hardly was. The half-elf wizard shapes a puff of steam from his water skin and fluffs it across his face to help freshen up for the day. Taking his books out of his Bag of Holding, he spends a few minutes refreshing his understanding of the Sending spell.

Confident that he could successfully cast it now, he sits on the edge of the bed, and extends his right hand outward; reaching out into the room, while also reaching across the vast space between the target of his spell and himself. He closes his eyes for a moment and completes the spell by speaking Arimart’s message for Berem Lann into the empty room:

"Arimart by Gryphon. Tried to enter Thronehold but impossible. Magistrates attacked during party. Taralos dead, Navel safe. What is your situation?"

After waiting for the spell’s response, he heads downstairs to await his companions’ return from Dal Quor. With all the workers gone, and his fellow adventurers asleep, Gryphon sets to some harmless snooping about the Reprieve. His first mission is to uncover any stores of pâté and/or fresh fruit the tavern might have secreted away.

His next mission is to find any hidden caches of incense Sir Kleris’ establishment might contain. If he finds any, he surreptitiously snatches them up, leaving 10gp in their place. Hope he wasn’t saving this for a special occasion.

Sitting alone at one of the tables in the building’s main room, Gryphon shapes an incense holder out of water, before freezing it in place. He places a few sticks of the incense upright in the holder, and ignites them with a touch of his index finger and Prestidigitation. He closes his eyes and breathes in the scent of sandalwood and saffron. Concentrating for 10 minutes, the wafting smoke coalesces more and more into the shape of a giant egg. When the density of the smoke reaches the point that the egg actually looks solid, it begins to crack, and a fully-grown emerald tree boa slithers out.

I’m embodied and back on the material plane again, and so quickly too, you must have been inconsolable without me.

Rather than engage with his reborn familiar’s taunts, Gryphon simply picks up the serpent and folds him into an all encompassing embrace; before letting Spritz resume his traditional perch across his shoulders.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    Conditions: Darkvision (~7 hours), 6/6 Ki Remaining

Kett wakes with the dawn and her morning goes as most of them do - a quick expenditure of energy to grant herself darkvision followed by a morning's meditation and recuperation. While the sunlit hours may not bring any darkness necessitating it, it didn't hurt to play it safe, and it gave Arano time to putter about in the morning. He didn't have to bother with such things - that was elves for you, didn't even sleep like everyone else. What she doesn't spend meditating she instead spends on the magical slippers, handing the rod off to Arano for him to puzzle out in her stead, and cut down on wasted time. She felt rather refreshed considering how much had gone on last night, though it's not long until she notices that she doesn't have a change of clothes on hand - those were back on the ship - and she's forced to don her evening dress until she can find time to change. It wasn't the end of the world, even if it looked entirely out of place in the Reprieve.

"Sleep well Gryphon?" she asks, sliding into the common room on silent footsteps behind her husband. Were it not for her hair being back to its lazy style she might not look as if she'd slept at all. "Hope you're well rested, there's no shortage of things to do, but we should probably wait until everyone else arrives before that talk." She fixes breakfast for her and Arano - the lack of fresh bread was a mild disappointment but she makes do, whipping up a small platter to nibble on in the meantime. With time she could do more, but honestly it still felt like they had a lot to do and she didn't want to spend her morning slaving over a hearth as if she were back home. They could get something hot later from a street vendor. Warm food, Kett maintains, was crucial for starting the day properly. "I don't suppose you got a response from your messages? Found out if Maugrim got axed last night or if Arimart's working for a rakshasa?" she asks casually as she takes a seat at the table, spreading some fruit preserve on a thin biscuit before handing it off to Arano and fixing her own. The mood shift from her irritable, frustrated self last night is clear in tone and posture, quietly shifting back to confident, detached and in control. Even if it hadn't gone as planned, even if it hadn't gone as imagined, last night hadn't been that bad, all things considered, and she was choosing to focus on the silver linings, of which there was at least a few.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Identifying both the Thurimbar Rod and the Magic Slippers as part of a long/short rest. Putting my husband to work on the former one. He should have plenty of time with his elf trancing saving him four hours of sleep, the jammy git!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

Waking up to the same sound he fell asleep, Arimart completes his morning prayers routine watching the falling rain. Sure the new day has a lot of things to bring about, maybe more than he likes.

going down the stairs, he meets with Gryphon and Kett, just as they are quietly bantering. Good. At least things may be more relaxed than the previous evening.

"After what happened, I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Maugrim is actually the Daelkyr Lord of forgetfulness!" Jokes aside, Arimart feels the need to ease the tension of the previous evening, but the weather outside seem to perfectly define his internal turmoil, knowing that the days ahead are not going to be easy.

As he takes something to eat and drink, the paladin sits in front of Gryphon. "Though I'm curious to know if Berem will answer something, I really thing we should take some of those Sending Stones house Sivis sells; they may help us communicate more easily. However, sir Gryphon we have a lot of things to tell you about. You know, it looks like this city is full of artifacts. Or it's just our luck that brings us stumbling onto them."

The paladin adjust himself on the seat, ready to tell Gryphon what was said the evening before.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Gryphon

The response comes a few minutes after asking the question, with the authoritative notes of the Brelish Magistrate's voice ringing loud and clear through the connection. There is no mistaking his words or their meaning.

<We heard about Taralos, Navel safe and accounted for. Maugrim was taken. Throne Wardens uncovered infiltrators leaving the castle, one of them was killed. Shapeshifters.>
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-04-07 at 11:33 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris stumbles out of bed, he had slept like the dead for hours but getting up felt like a chore still. A few prestidigitations on his clothes and a splash of water on his face had him functional enough for polite society though. He walks out to the common room in time to over hear the last parts of the conversation about the sendings. He yawns and waves sleepily at the others, "Bless whoever started the fire, I don't know about you guys but I'm stiff as hell."

He wanders into the kitchen and throws together a plate of cured sausage, dried apple, and old bread. He sticks his head out to see everyone gathering and more on the way so he takes another few moments to start an oatmeal, leaving some sausage, honey, and dried apple beside the pot for anyone to add. He leaves it on simmer and heads out with his meal, positioning himself as close to the fire as he could as he sipped the lightest of the apple ciders he had in the bar. He looks to the others "So what's the plan here? How are we moving forward. I'm not going to lie but I wouldn't mind some time to take care of some personal problems."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake awoke the next morning, laying still for a moment as he listened to the silence, his mind instantly returning to the passages he had read the night before. So much to digest, just from the clear text portions! Who knew what secrets remained within the rest of the document? Kasmir’s mission, contacts, drops ... a veritable cornucopia of information. For now, however, he needed to speak with the others. And ask for their aid ...

Sighing, the stuff dwarf rolled out of bed slowly and went about his routine. Water on his face, a bit of ointment on his hip, shaking out his clothes and getting dressed, meditation and prayer. After he was done and ready for the day, Drake grabbed his cane, the journal and a few other items and headed down to join the group.

He greeted the others with a smile and a wave. ”Good morning, lords and lady. I trust you slept well without further intrigue?” He sat laboriously, settling into his chair with a slight grunt and exchanged pleasantries with anyone who engaged him. However, he waited until the others were gathered before he got down to business.

”I have reviewed the journal and would like to discuss the last pages Sir Arano mentioned. It is as he said, a tale most chilling and melancholy ... if I may wax poetic. This is what the agent wrote ...”
    Spoiler: Kasimir’s Journal
    Show
    25 Zarantyr, 998 YK - (Third-to-last)

I don’t know what to do about this anymore. The orrery job, ir’Sencriss… they pale in comparison to the challenge I now face.

Today, V showed me the full power of the Umbral Codex. It’s so much more than just an item for focusing the dragonmark: when activated by someone with the Mark of Shadow, it projects a map of the entire continent… and everyone who bears the mark appears on it!

This artifact, if brought out into the light, will change the very fabric of Khorvaire. The houses will bay for blood: Phiarlan and Thuranni will tear themselves to scraps over it, and what will remain in the aftermath of that conflict? I don’t know, but I fear the answer.

The other question I’ve been asking myself is: why me? What purpose did V have, luring me away from my assignment and into this web? She has made full use of my intellectual faculties as a case agent: the field test, studying its capability in isolation, and I was well compensated. But there has to be more to it than that.

V doesn’t strike me as someone who would take an unnecessary risk like this. She knew who I was, my name and who I work for; she wouldn’t expose something like the Codex to me just to get a second opinion. No, there’s another game going on here and I can’t figure out what it is. Before, I had pegged her as just another odd arcanist

As I sit here, looking out over the street, I’ve settled on a dreadful idea. I’m going to put the bone back in the window, find an excuse for another meeting with V… and then I’m going to steal it. She can’t be allowed to hold on to such an object, nor should she sell it off like I believe she intends.

Her wrath will be terrible when she learns of the theft, but I have some ideas about how to stay one step ahead of her until the item is well buried and I’m out of the city.

[Included is a detailed sketch of the Umbral Codex, along with annotations and notes. One sentence scribbled in the margin stands out: ‘Mark of Shadow holder only, but no mark on V. How is she using it?’]

3 Olarune, 998 YK - (Second-to-last)

It worked! Sovereigns bless my hide, it actually worked.

It took some doing to construct a facsimile for the Codex: some of the best forgers in town were working for over a week on the false artifact. Meanwhile, I reached out to some friends to start building a paper trail back ten years for the buyer. My contacts in Sivis were kind enough to lend a hand there. A merchant lord from Regalport, who had come into some fortune as a result of a family death in the wake of the war.

V practically ate it up. She seems to favor the chaotic and the lawless, so I baited my hook accordingly. When I gave the signal, the carriage returned, and before too long I was sitting in that damned place once again looking down at the work.

We arranged the sale over dinner. She’s said that she wants to meet the man first, which might have been troublesome if I hadn’t already made the swap. All I needed was a second alone to activate the talisman, call up the box and toss it in, and it was done. I left the replica in its place before being detected.

I had to clean up loose ends, after. It’s a shame about the craftsmen, but in a way this was probably their best work; better for them to leave the stage on a high note. I can’t have V or anyone else tracking them down after the fact: I was quite thorough in removing the evidence.

The Codex is beyond even V’s reach now.

6 Olarune, 998 YK - (Last)

I think I’m going to have to die, and soon.

There were people waiting for me last night near the Sparrow; Thranes, no question about it. They didn’t approach me, but I caught them tailing me more than a few times, which means my cover with ir’Sencriss is almost certainly blown, and that is not a man to be taken lightly around his daughter.

Some would call it a coincidence that not two nights after stealing the Codex my identity is uncovered by the mark, but I know better. V reached out to ir’Sencriss, tipped him off. She wouldn’t have done it halfway, either: he knows my name for certain now, knows about my family.

And if he knows that ‘Professor Gallim Frey’ is a fiction and anything about my real identity, then it’s only a matter of time before he tracks Camillah and the children down. I left them with contingencies, but coming up against a man with his influence and resources … I’d give them maybe one in fifteen odds of making it a year before being found.

No. Sovereigns save me, but the best way to keep them alive is to hand myself over to ir’Sencriss. He’ll kill me, of course, but then there will be no need to go after them. Damn V; she played this perfectly. She won’t even have to take care of me herself.

Then there’s the matter of the Codex. It’s right where I left it, but it can’t stay there. I’m going to have to call the chest back before the spell runs out its course… but I’ll be dead before that can happen. I need to give the talisman to someone I trust, and who trusts me.

A plan starts to take shape. Layla ir’Sencriss is a gentle girl and probably doesn’t deserve this, but she has one thing that nobody else in this town has: an innocent spirit. She’s come to dote on ‘Professor Frey’, and if I’m being entirely honest, she reminds me of my own. She would trust her tutor if he asked her to hide something for him and never tell a living soul. As a child, she’ll also be beneath notice - kids hide things all the time.

Going back to Solstice House is suicide, but thankfully that’s already on the agenda. I’ll need to slip inside unseen to deliver my message and my last gift, but I should be able to use the underground servant’s passage.

Gods, I need another drink. If anyone ever reads this, know that I’m sorry but I did the best I could. In the wrong hands, I believe that the Umbral Codex is the most dangerous object on this continent, and I’ve done all I can to keep it secret and safe. With any luck, V never learns of where I’ve put it, and the whole world moves on.

If not though… I wish only the best to those who would take up my cause.

”The handwriting appears to be the same person, but the last three entries are written in an increasingly frantic style. Given what we’ve found in the journal, did the little girl have anything unique on her? I seem to recall the Ambassador was wearing a tear drop necklace that might be connected. Or perhaps not.”

OOC - pausing here for others to jump in ...
    Show
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-04-08 at 11:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

She ticks off notes of importance from the journal in her mind. "V" was someone without a mark, but could use the codex. If they were being exceptionally obvious, most likely Vicontessa ir'Ardev. The Brelish connection was there too. Not many people in the city would be able to direct a Dark Lantern. And the right gender even. It seemed the most solid lead from what she had. There was an underground servant's passage into the ir'Sencriss manor. Danilos had been told about his little spy. He might know who V was. A duplicate had been made, and the craftspeople had all been killed, leaving a possible body trail, but chances are that would have gone cold already.

Kett can't help but be a little annoyed by the preening of the last entry. "Did the best he could"? Unlikely. He had an entire network in the city, apparent freedom of movement and his grand plan involved hiding the damn thing and hoping people forgot about it, as if that were ever an option. Kick the can down the road, hope someone else can clean up the mess he made. That someone else now being Arano, and by extension her - and now the rest of their little group.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #746
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon arranges Spritz across his shoulders in such a way as to best cover the burn marks inflicted on his outfit last night as his companions wander into the common room. He was inwardly shocked to see Arano free and no eyes on Draci, but if Arimart wasn’t concerned with securing prisoners, then it was no concern of his.

Unfortunately, I’m not yet well acquainted enough with your Nyctessa to contact her, Prosecutor, but I have been in communication with Magistrate Lann. He’s aware of the conditions of both Taralos and Navel. He also reports that in a stunning moment of near competency, the throne wardens killed a shapeshifter infiltrator to the castle, just as a team of shapeshifter infiltrators absconded with Maugrim Nameless. He didn’t elaborate as to the nature of the shapeshifters, but I have the power to send more messages to him if you wish further communication. It’s seems, Sir Kleris, that at least one of your sources of information is confirmed.

Gryphon listens with half-interest to Drakes recitation of Kasimir’s journal, feeling minor ticks of irritation as he hears the tale. Every moron with a knife thinks they’re a secret agent in this town. Has a greater wad of self-importance and moral justifying ever been hocked into existence? Another innocent child dragged into the Scions of Galifar’s endless waltz. With any luck ir’Sencriss gave Kasimir a good long torture before finishing him off.

Stowing his feelings, he responds. Thank you for sharing your findings with us Professor Shardstone, they certainly illuminate the current ongoing in Throneport in a new light.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

It seemed almost deliberately vague to Kett. They could have swapped the word out for anything more specific, so either the good Magistrate didn't trust Gryphon with the information or they had something to hide - like being a Rakshasa. Or, perhaps, they knew even less than Kett thinks, and even the corpse isn't giving up secrets of what the shapeshifters were. She leaves commenting on it alone, however. It bore no further relevance to her and her goals, and whatever choice comments she might have about the Magistrate would only serve to irritate Arimart most likely.

"Who's 'V'? If you don't know, then take your best guess." Her question's directed solely at the prosecutor. She had her guesses, but if he knew better that would help narrow her focus.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gryphon explains his inability to contact Nyctessa, Arimart thinks about how he got a little too far with his requests "Oh yes, the boy is so resourceful that I forgot why Sivis covers the business of remote contacts. I hope he doesn't feel bad about it."

The paladin answers to his fellow Khoravar with a calm voice "No problem, sir Gryphon, you already did more than you were expected to. If you can, just contact Magistrate Lann and inform him that I will be at the castle in a couple of hours. I wish to know firsthand what happened."

He ponders the words from Kasimir's Journal, considering both the weight this man should have brought on his shoulders, and the real possibility that he left no trace. When Kett interrupts him with a direct question, he stays quite for a brief moment, before answering her.

"A couple of names come to mind, yes, but I'm sure you may have already thought about them. There's Kamiel Veseur, a retired Knight Phantom, who could have the means and the expertise to create something like the Codex. And our dwarven friend's acquiantance: lady Lycia Velancor. For what I know of her she could be placed first on the list. Maybe Draci will have some information on it."

He didn't care to look for the half-orc, but considering her actions in the previous night, it was highly improbable that she tried to escape, considering that Lady Velancor will be able to legally free her in no time.

"So... there are a lot of things we should think about, and I'm sure each of us has personal things to take care of, but I believe we should try to split up our resources and see what we come up with: Kleris and Gryphon have clearly got in the good graces of ir'Sencriss nad I think they should try to see if they can obtain something from it. Professor Shardstone, if you need a place to work, I can arrange for you to stay at Thronehold, right now you are the victim of a thefth perpetuated in this city. Madam Kett, there are different angles and multiple avenues of investigation we may need to pursue and, to be honest, I'd like for you to join me in my efforts for the next days. I work fast, but I could be faster with your help. That still leaves us with a question..."

As he says this, he turns to Arano.

"What do we do with you?"

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake listed as the others spoke of possible culprits. When Arimart mentioned Lady Velancor, he shrugged his shoulders a bit.

”Perhaps. She certainly has the resources and expertise. But why come to this city when she has access to the full weight of her resources at home? Besides, she and her troops seemed singularly focused on the orrery.”

As he paused to consider his own words an ugly idea popped into his head, eliciting a thoughtful frown. ”If course it occurs to me that we don’t understand the full power of the orrery. It creates a connection to another plane, but is it a fandom manifestation of the planar effects, or does each bridge connect to a specific point on the other side? If so, it might - might be possible to place something suitably warder within the zone, to hide it from resourceful enemies. A drastic measure only the truly desperate would take. Or the mad ... ”

In response to Arimart’s query about Arano, the dwarf cleared his throat. ”If I may offer another idea. Perhaps Master Kleris would be so kind as to provide accommodations and Master Arano could help me decipher more of the book. It may take someone with more experience in the ways of subterfuge to help unlock the remaining pages.

Also, I hoped he might assist me with planning an ambush near his chapter house. I think the orrery will be delivered there tonight to someone if the bardic elves referred to their leading lady.”

OOC - whhaaaaaaaat?
    Show
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

When Arimart mentions Kamiel Veseur’s name Gryphon just barely manages to master the impulse to leap up out of his chair. Colonel Veseur’s in Throneport?! How is that cowherd able to even shown his face after what he’s done?

Changing emotional gear to avoid thinking about the good Colonel, the wizard listens intently to Drake’s schemes regarding his stolen Artifact.