Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~7 hours), 6/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: --

Returning to the Group

She takes one coin from the second bag and rolls it across her fingers, flicking it between each one with practiced dexterity. "Here I thought it was an apology payment, a way to make amends, but now you're aiming for friendship?" Had he gotten coin drunk? Touched wealth for the first time and saw it as the solution to all of life's problems? She places the coin onto the table, standing on its edge, takes careful aim, and then flicks it across from her. It spins like a top in a wide arc, rattling to a stop in front of the man who had tossed it across to her. Friendship in a tiny circle. "Now that we're such good friends, perhaps you can share what your deal is. We never did quite get an answer to that. We can even trade questions if you like, while we wait, though I think you know my situation well enough by now." Her smile is casual and ambiguous. She's expecting to be shot down. He'd kept his cards close enough to the chest as it was, but maybe his newfound monetary generosity extended to his story as well.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Returning to the Group

Kleris eyes the coin as it spins to a stop in front of him, picking it up and eyeing the white gold of the platinum coin. "Well the first one was an apology the second one was... an investment in bettering this working relationship."

Kleris snorts at Ketts super casual offer of an exchange and flicks the coin back across the table, not nearly as smoothly and it bounces across awkwardly. He thinks on the offer for a moment before offering a raised eyebrow "Well I don't have much to offer information wise, I'm really a very simple man, so I wouldn't want to take advantage of your genuine offer of trade."

He rubs his chest where his holy symbol is and shrugs, "As for my deal... The world is always changing and I'm just a simple traveler along its winding roads. Those roads brought me here, ready to be part of the change. Nothing is permeant Kett, just make sure the change strengthens you."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

3. - Top - End - #813
    Troll in the Playground

Returning to the Group

Gryphon rubs his face as the dawn’s splendid rays cascade through the blinds of his bedroom window, waking him from sleep. Even with all his recent labors; physical, magical and social, he’d managed to get to sleep at a reasonable hour nearly every night for a week straight. No fiery house parties, no accusations of terrorism, not even any midnight treks through the sewers. Ah well it was a fun vacation, now back to making history. Leisure is only pleasurable because it comes to an end.

Letting out a yawn, he drops to the floor to begin his morning workout. He thinks back to the week he’d had, and despite feeling like he’d had a real arse made of him, the lack of progress with the Sencriss family, and the haunting finality of Maugrim’s last message, he’d actually enjoyed himself immensely. Getting to work with one’s hands, really push myself with magical creativity, even made a friend who’s not as painfully human as everyone else I’ve met in this city.

Having fun playing in the human world? I warned you to be careful about going native. Feed, don’t be food. Break them, don’t be broken. Are you going to wear your little human workman outfit again today, or are you ready to go back to dressing like a real magus?

No one loves your little sermons on The Fury’s virtues more than I, Spritz, but I’m perfectly capable of enjoying my work without forgetting where I belong in the world.

Finishing his floor workout, The Occidental Wizard dons his traditional garb of charcoal tunic, white hose, short black gloves, and dark caramel boots; he does, however, skip the kuffiyeh, opting to sport his serpentine familiar openly around his shoulders. Taking his time painstakingly styling his hair so that it looked good without looking like it was painstakingly styled; Gryphon concentrates for a moment to sent up the inertia barrier that was his Mage Armor, and the psychic wards that were his Nondetection.

Riding off down the street on his Phantom Steed, he catches himself just an instant before he begins whistling along under his breath to a busking street musician. He’d been infected with a good mood, and he wasn’t about to let his ailment spoil his professionalism. Arriving at The Reprieve, he waves away his shadowy phantom and moves surreptitiously towards the entryway. His half-elven ears could pick up the sounds of Kleris and Kett’s voices and it seemed like the perfect time to do a bit of eavesdropping.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Returning to the Group

"'Simple Traveler', is it?" she stresses the word, turning it into a proper noun. "I saw your face when you were interrogating Arano. There's nothing casual about your relationship with the Changeling clans in Passage. The thing about roads? They're laid by someone, and you pick which road you want to follow. So wh-" Her question's cut off when she picks up the sound of hooves clattering to a stop nearby. She holds a finger up to Kleris, waiting, waiting, waiting, and then Gryphon enters. Maybe next time.

"Fashionably late as always Gryphon," she switches topic immediately, letting the unspoken but quite evident question drop like a lead balloon. "Held up with childcare?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Returning to the Group

"Nothing is new in and out of the Flame, as it was, everything will be."

One of the recurring teachings of Cardinal Aloth, the first elected cardinal after Tira Mirion's sacrifice, is something that Arimart holds dear, especially in these days of continual indecisions and constant changes. Even if the face of the world around us mutates like the glamerweave clothes of a noble and the mood of shifter, it's very foundations are always the same, and the Flame is one of them.

The week was longer than expected for the paladin, forced to divide himself on many fronts for his work. Fortunately, it wasn't unfruitful: he has important news to bring to his companions, and a new resolve to see the end of this entire situation.

Strolling idly on Throneport's streets, the half-elf submerges himself in the many sounds and scents of the city, each of them bringing up in his mind a different situation of his life. As memories slowly reach the present, Arimart finds himself in front of The Reprieve. Some things have changed, and it's clear that Kleris invested some of his time to work on his new property.

As he enters, the Prosecutor notices his other companions speaking, and joins them.

"We are finally together again. I hope you all were successful in your endeavours"
    Does this poster have a sign?

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Returning to the Group

Kleris rolls his eyes as Kett moves onto her accusations which are thankfully stopped by Gryphons timely appearance, he assumed so at least cause he didn't hear anything. He gets up with a sigh "Glad to see nothings changed Kett, paranoid as always. Frankly I don't care if anyone overhears me, I don't have anything to hide anymore. A friend of mine was caught up in the murder of that clan and died. You can't be shocked that sometimes loved ones of the victims your houses kills sometimes looks for their killers. I was on the wrong trail and now I've moved on. If you won't then fine, keep looking for what isn't there."

He shrugs and moves on, he wouldn't be able to convince her with words so he'd just leave her alone for now. He refills the mug at the bar and prepares extras for the others, calling out to Gryphon "Hey Gryphon I don't know if your there or not but there's a free drink in here waiting for you."

When Arimart enters the inn smiles and gives the prosecutor a friendly nod, "Good morning prosecutor, it was... an eventful week to be sure. I even managed to pick up a gift for my favorite prosecutor while I was out and about."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart smiles back at Kleris, if there was tension in the room, the paladin does his best to decrease it. He advances toward the bar owner and takes something to drink. "Assuming you haven't made friends in the Karrnathi zone, that would be me?" He says, before sitting down. "I'm quite curious to know what it is.... and I think I have some information that could be relevant for all of us, especially taking into consideration what Gryphon was able to learn from Maugrim."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-05-27 at 05:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris reaches down behind the bar where he hefts a massive sack of what seems to be clanking pieces of metal. He totters out from behind the bar carrying it, swaying side to side slightly under the weight. When he gets close to Arimart he swings it down to the floor, losing balance slightly as he does so. He smiles up at the other half elf and opens the draw string of the large sack. "Well I came into some gold this week and got some very helpful advice that investing it in my companions would be a good use of it. However I wasn't sure how giving law officials massive amounts of gold would be seen by your colleagues. So instead I figured a helpful gift from an admiring colleague may be better. I figured with all the **** we've been going through your armor has seen better days and this is top of the line. I think everything should fit?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There is a set of Adamantine Full Plate.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-05-27 at 05:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Returning to the Group

"Of course," Kett says, "My mistake, I should have just taken you at your word with no further explanation. A courtesy I am sure you will endeavour to extend to me going forwards. It was my folly." Her voice is utterly monotone, lacking any sort of sincerity. He really had brought the questions on himself. Had he expected nothing further? No additional prying? Just "sorry my bad, here's some gold, totally won't happen again" and they all smile and make up? A shame he seemed so incensed by the event, it'd mean he'd be harder to kill when they got to that point. The angry ones always were. She sighs, actual emotion returning to her voice. "But sure, we'll call it quits there. I understand you at least now, thank you for sharing."

"Sounds like we all picked up bits and pieces in our time away. Who wants to go first?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart observes Kleris with a slight smile as he stumbles with the heavy sack. As he unpacks it, the expression of Arimart changes to one of wonder. He immediately walks toward the armor, touching it and assessing its work, wich proves to be amazing. The Paladin passes his index finger on the pieces and the joints, noticing that it is so well done that it shuoldn't weigh too much more than his actual, admittedly worn out splint Armor.

"That's.... that's an amazing gift Kleris, you have my thanks!" Even if he would like to don it immediately to try how it is, Kett words bring the Prosecutor back on the reason of their meeting.

"Your are right, Madame Kett, we have informations to share, and we may as well start right now: I met professor Drake earlier and he told me he is really busy with his investigations, therefore he will not be able to join us."

The paladin sits back again, looking at the Phiarlan agent while indirectly answering to her question. "So... What have you been able to discover?"

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Ladies first, after all. That's fine." She coughs, and begins a minor recitation. "I was unsuccessful in locating or definitively identifying 'V', unfortunately. I did exclude a number of suspects from the list though. Judging from the documents I looked at, Vicontessa ir'Ardev seems to be spending much of her free time currying favours and gaining support for an anti-Droaam movement in the city. I expect if Gryphon's efforts are to succeed, he'll need to deal with her at some point. Her fingers seem to be in many a pie. Assassination's probably ill-advised though, her friends would just use it to martyr her against your cause. You're better off discrediting her in some other ways..." Her eyes momentarily glance at Arimart, "...that are definitely legal."

"Next I tried to follow the crafter lead with Pfennigan's in town. Also didn't pan out, sadly. All he's doing is hatching schemes and planning minor revenge against his former House - especially Molly Mebsa. He doesn't seem to think she's a hag, but I suppose he might just be in the dark about that. I expect she's aware of the plots but one might exchange an offer of help to her in return for some other boon."

"And wouldn't you know it, it's a Magistrate that gave me my first solid lead. Navel's been slipping out of the castle on a number of nights to meet with a private courier, who unwittingly lead me to the door of a Kamiel Veseur. Some retired Last War officer from Aundair who lives in Greenwall. Last name matches, could be V, but even if not I expect he'll be a valuable lead. The magistrate connection might explain the ah..." She picks her words carefully. "Lets say 'internal strife', that Thronehold's been dealing with."

"That's it for me. Another day or two and I might have more, but it seemed better to check in first, in case someone else had another chariot worth chasing." She shrugs, satisfied well enough.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Fashionably late as always, Gryphon saunters into The Reprieve and takes a seat at the table with his companions. Warming the atmosphere with his serene smile, I hope you’ll pardon my lack of punctuality, Madam; you and Sir Kleris were having such a charming interlocution I couldn’t bring myself to irrupt. Now that I have arrived, it’s once again a pleasure to see the three of you, and if your offer of a free drink is still available, Sir Kleris, than I’ll take a Thrannish brandy, excuse any offense prosecutor, but I find Brelanders rarely bottle theirs at cask strength.

Sitting with his drink, Gryphon’s eyes widen not only at the magnificence of Kleris’ gift to Arimart, but also at the information Kett offers. He rolls his eyes at the mention of Nebra ir’Ardev, but catches himself just short of slamming his glass down on the table when the Colonel’s name is brought up.
    ir’Ardev spewing her virtriol is to be expected, but Navel is meeting with Veseur! You show a person a lovely evening, even save her life, and she goes and has secret meetings with the biggest bastard on the continent! Well F***.

Waiting for the monk to finish, Gryphon adds his piece.

I’m afraid I haven’t seen much of the Sencriss family in the last week, in a frankly shocking priority shift towards caution, Danilos has decided to keep Layla relatively tucked away, fearing for her safety.

As for Maugrim Nameless, I’ve been in communication with him through the week, but recently he’s stopped responding to my Sendings. I believe he’s still alive, as the spell isn’t failing to make contact, he’s simple gone silent. While that may seem frustrating, it gets worse. His last response was to warn me that he was with someone named Corleis, that some of his captors are frighteningly inhuman, and he was desperately terrified of turning into one of them.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Sitting and drinking a Brelish tea while Kett and Gryphon report their findings, the paladin considers magistrate Navel involvement (whether intentional or not) and starts talking when his fellow half-elf has finished his explanations.

"And I was there to know about Maugrim's last words as well. I was able to pick up some worring news. I believe we ended up into a plot larger than originally expected. According to my informants, a man used the Corleis alias during the war. A man called Haldren ir'Brassek. He was a war criminal supposedly sentenced to Dreadhold. But it looks like he somehow escaped imprisonment..."

"A national sport, judging by the last days..."
    thinks the paladin, while he pauses briefly to take another sip of tea.

"I have reaason to believe that he is behind Maugrim apprehension and his consequent kidnapping. I don't know what his long term plans are, but to create those creatures we seen, he must have arcane assistance; and I'm sure it's no accident that a powerful arcane machine tied to the houses is being searched by an unknown arcanist... Whatever it is, there's only one person who knew about this man's plans enough to put me... maybe us..." as he says this, he looks directly at Gryphon, "On Maugrim tail. Izar Abelian"

The paladin turns to look at Kleris.

"Master Kleris, you are the one trying to increase his contacts with this city's underground. We need to speak with Abelian, and we need to led him to think he needs us at least as much as we need his informations. At least, that's what I came to believe."

14. - Top - End - #824
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon bites down hard on his own inner cheek to prevent himself from doing a spit-take when Arimart reveals that Corleis is Haldren ir’Brassek!

Navel was willing to support me to get Brassek out of the klink. Either she doesn’t know he’s out, or she knows he’s out illegitimately and she believes his release will mean he’s no longer just free as an outlaw. And how does her meeting with Veseur relate to Corleis’ freedom? Damn all Aundairans to Mabar.

Prosecutor, what do you know of Haldren ir’Brassek? He was one of the first criminals the tribunal was able to make stand trial, is that right?

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Professor Drake Shardstone

As Gryphon asked his question, the companions heard a familiar cadence, footfalls with the staccato of a cane, approaching the door. With a grunt, Drake pushed open the door and limp d into the inn. His eyes swept the room then focused blearily on the group, a small smile as he approached. Doesn’t look like they were expecting me ...

Aloud, he greeted them. ”Good evening, lady and gentlmen. My apologies for being late, but it’s been a long few days ... and nights. Please continue - someone can catch me up later, if they would be so kind.”

OOC - Just a reintroduction to the scene
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd
    0: guidance, thaumatugy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, blindness/ deafness, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

Effects: 60’ darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

The innkeeper smiles as he manages to coach out a look of wonder from the stern prosecutor. It seemed like the armor was a good call, he had figured as much with how many fights they got in where Arimart ended up on the frontline. He smiles and claps the half elf on the shoulder before joining the others at the table.

Kleris listens along to the information the others are laying out from their week of investigation. The investigation seemed to be muddling along slowly though he did not have much to offer on this front. "Sorry I did not get much done investigation wise this week. I was working on the inn and meeting some locals. Sadly the locals did not include Danilos. I was thinking if Gryphon is alright with it we could pay the family a visit to follow up on the investigation. If you are free tomorrow Ambassador?"

As Arimart starts to talk up about meeting Izar Abelian he almost chokes. "Dark Six Arimart you want to meet Izar and what... try to fool him? I cannot stress enough that this man is one of the most dangerous masterminds in the city. If he wanted he could have us all dead and disappeared in a day. As far as if he knows about Maughrim/Haldren I have no doubts he could rustle up some information for us and this investigation. I think it would go a lot smoother if we were able to present a real reason he should work with us or we bring something in trade."

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

As Gryphon questions him about the Aundarian criminal, Arimart answers quickly: "Yes, he was the first one. Sadly, I know little if anything about him, since I still wasn't there at the time of his trial."

Seeing Drake entering, the paladin hails him with a move of his hand. "Professor, I wasn't expecting you, glad to see you were able to free up some time for us!"

Then, he ponders Kleris words.

"Well, I don't want to fool him, but, as you said, we need to convince him that helping us will help him. For what I know, he is no friend of 'Corleis' and that could give us an advantage."

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

The Reprieve seems far more welcoming as each of you settle in, all of the streaks of perennial grime removed and each of the ship plaques lovingly polished. The buffed floors and soft light of the everbright sea lanterns embrace you as an old friend that has cleaned up his act and that you are surprisingly relieved to see again. The mulled evening passes over drinks and plotting, most of you keeping your wits as your group shares its notes on the various findings of your week spent digging for clues.

So busy are you, in fact, that even Kett barely hears the subtle scrape of soft-soled boots on stone outside the landing.

It is impossible to miss the furtive staccato rapping of knuckles at the door, followed by a hushed voice. The more sharp-eared among you pick out the odd hissed word. "... other entrance? .... exposed here..." It is followed by a carried whisper meant to be heard in the common room.

"Kleris Ostren? Please open the door. We can see that your establishment is closed and the lights are on, but we seek only words on my honour."

Opening the door itself reveals two men, hooded and cloaked, who waste no time stepping into the inn. One of them is visibly shorter with a more ample frame, while the second stands tall and straight of back. Between the pair of them, they bear only one weapon: the tall man had a single blade in sheath at his belt. They aren't even wearing armor, but as their cloaks shift you get good glances at fine silk cuffs, brocaded hems, and a single brooch in the shape of a frozen flame. The shorter of the two men moves as though to say something, but the taller one cuts him off with a raised hand.

"Enough, Ghastor." As he raises his hand to pull back his hood, you see the shapes of rings under his gloved hands. The 'disguise' falls away, revealing none other than Danilos ir'Sencriss himself, ambassador to Thrane. Yet the person standing before you can hardly be the same as the gallant host of Solstice House. Gone is the stiff upper lip of privilege, the cold keen gaze and effortless poise of nobility. What greets you instead are bloodshot eyes, unkempt hair and a hint of grizzle around the jowls. He gets a look at each of you, gaze swivelling ceaselessly like a man about to drown, searching in vain for any sign of land.

"I apologize for intruding on your gathering at such an hour," he starts, too-quickly, "but the matter is urgent and I - I need your help. All of your help."

From inside the folds of his vest, he produces a single note and slams it down on the nearest table.

"They've taken Layla. I need you to get her back. Please."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-09-13 at 09:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

When the unexpected guests approach, the paladin prepares for the worst, knowing quite well that as time goes on they are all becoming targets. He quickly glances at Kett, waiting for her to react in her usual way, then puts himself between the door and the rest of the group, while the two guests enter.

Looking at Ghastor, who already looked harmless, and especially at lord ir'Sencriss face, Arimart moves away his hand from the weapon, and listens to the Thranish ambassador.
    When he slams the note on the table, the paladin looks at it, trying to hide his reaction.

"That's problematic, if somebody got their hands on the Codex, we may be too late... Damned elves, I should have called Trelib"

He speaks in a calm voice: "What happened, ambassador?"
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-06-05 at 04:11 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Troll in the Playground

tongue Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

For days, even weeks now, Spritz has voiced his concerns for Gryphon’s perspective. These are not your people. You are not a man. You are a magus, a scion of the witches of Droaam, The Phantom Prince, whose role is to build a bridge for our glorious nation to have a seat at the human’s table. To dictate thought and then go home and then be the wandering warlord your people need to dictate law. But humanoid psychology is powerful and casting off it shackles continues to prove more potent than a decade of cultural programming.

How many time could the occidental wizard speak with Sir Arimart before the paladin’s ethos so clearly echoed the values his own parents had imparted before their demise? How many time would Madam Kett threaten him, and then save his life before it was clear that the only difference between her and one of his adoptive Nighthag aunts was simply a matter of spellcasting proficiency? How different was Professor Shardstone from the sages of Cazhaak Draal? And didn’t Sir Kleris not only prove he was Gryphon’s friend beyond humanity, but trust him with a secret not dissimilar from the brands that mark the wizard’s own skin? To be a Khorovar was to be a child to two worlds, Gryphon belonged to the world of magic as much as he belonged to the world of men. It’s why I am.

I begged you not to be seduced. I warned you of the attractions of the world of men, and all your years of training, all your knowledge and magical skill have been wasted. Your magic is a gift from The Shadow, your passion, a blessing from The Fury. You were a nothing I let you bind me to because my spirit believed you could serve a greater purpose and now your humanity betrays you.

No! Spritz! You came to me because I had the power to call. Oma Teraza saw exactly who I was and exactly who I need to be, you’re a faithless fool for doubting her divinations. I am man, just as I am monster! I am Gryphon Aksel Eklander just as I am Gryphon Aksel Kellson! I AM the bridge between Droaam and the human world. Gods damn anyone who denies my loyalty to my nation just as the gods damn anyone who denies that I enjoy the drink from humanity’s cup. Let Lorcian or Aria Thunderheart or even Thora Strongarm be Droaam’s face for Droaam in Khorvaire. I am an ambassador! I will be the helping hand across the gulf and damn you or anyone else that wants to think of me as the ugly Droaamite in all of this!

With his mental declaration the Khorovar gives his familiar a lot to think about, but before the party is interrupted, he asks the party’s ostensible assassin for a private moment of her time at the bar, away from the rest of their compatriots.

Spoiler: Just to Kett
    Show
    Two shots of Brelish whiskey please?

Look, frankly from the moment we were introduced you voiced distain for either who I am or where I’m from. I’ll do you the favor and drop the usual niceties I offer when talking to humans cause it doesn’t seem like that’s the flavor of conversation you enjoy. Whatever’s happening right now, you have a kid or kids that might get F***ed over. Screw you and screw your garbage spy of a husband but I’m not gonna let more orphans happen again for whatever house nonsense is happening right now. So as far as I’m concerned keep your secrets, if you need to try and kill me (or anyone) make sure it’s for professional reasons, and tell me what needs to happen to keep your sprogs safe.

Just as Gryphon finishes his talk with Kett, the new Reprieve guests make their entrance.

Dammit man! I told you I would do anything in my power to keep Layla safe and you shut us out!

As the rest of the party engages with Gastor and Danilos, Gryphon closes his eyes and raises his left hand into the air to reach out to Layla Sancriss with a Sending.

Spoiler: Sending to Layla
    Show
    Hey, it’s Gryphon. I know something bad happened and I know you’re staying strong. We’re proud of you. Please tell me anything, where you are?

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Spoiler: To Gryphon
    Show

He was being remarkably aggressive for what ended up being an offer to help, especially since she hadn't really brought up her family. Maybe the information shared had prompted him to angle for more future favours. It's not hard to see why he might want to employ the services of an expert spy-assassin once this current situation was dealt with. The answer to his question was simply as ever though. "If you really want to see me and mine safe, then there's only one thing you can do: Destroy the Codex. As for killing you, there's only two reasons I'd do that - first is if you're threatening or endangering my family, which you seem smart enough to not do, I appreciate that. Second is if someone hires Phiarlan to off you and I get stuck with the job, and if that happens your issue isn't with me, it's with whomever's holding the moneybag." It wasn't particularly helpful advice, but it was honest, and some people did spend so long worrying about assassins they didn't concern themselves with who was sending them in the first place. "If you keep up what you're doing I expect someone will be hired to kill you before long. Probably not me though, so a professional tip: Sleep with the lamps lit and invest in creaky floorboards." She gives his shoulder a gentle pat that might be at once reassuring and teasing.

She'd once had to kill someone who'd had an entire wing of his manorhouse made such that when you stepped on the floorboards they made an odd musical sound akin to birdsong, with each step creating a different note in a melody. An ingenious security tool. Sadly when she burned the house down with her target inside that had been lost, and she'd yet to meet a craftsman who could recreate the effect for her own home.

When Danilos makes his declaration, she cuts in, leaning forward into the conversation to interject with - "Just before anyone looks my way, it wasn't me, and Arano's still in Thronehold." She holds back the comment that she could have done it. No sense bragging here of all times. Her concern was more that the hidden Codex was now in motion. At least with this she could probably get her husband out of jail. All hands on deck now, and Danilos' cooperation wasn't required any more. She flicks her eyes to the note on the table.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

For a moment, something ugly rises in Danilos ir'Sencriss' throat. "How dare you conjure such remonstrations - " but it dies an early death as he looks over at Arimart, who was the first to approach the note.

The crimson seal on the parchment has been torn open - a soft manila parchment, revealing a snow white page within - and as the contents are extracted, you can see emerging a slanted yet elegant script. The envelope itself is addressed to Danilos, but the man picks it up with one hand and gently hands it to the paladin.

Spoiler: A Not-So-Friendly Note
    Show
    To Ambassador ir'Sencriss,

By now you will have realized exactly what has been taken from you. I assure you that the decision was not made lightly, but know that I have no intention of damaging what is yours unless I am forced to do so.

If you would like to be made whole in good order, I recommend seeking out the 'Heroes of the Burning Birthday'. Quite a memorable event, by the way, though I was personally not a fan of the thrakel sauce on those hors d'oeuvres. You should be able to find them at an inn at the harborside by the name of Jhory's Reprieve, formerly the Speckled Hen, which is now being run and managed by Kleris Ostren.

When you get there, show this to Professor Drake Shardstone. He already knows when and where to get in touch with me. He will need to bring both the journal - with any keys or ciphers to decrypt its contents - and the orrery controller for an exchange. Below you will see an extra signature for proof of life, please examine it at your leisure.

- D

P.S. If you'd like to save Gryphon Askel Kellson some trouble, feel free to let him know that I take care to obfuscate my bargaining chips from the kinds of intercession he has proven fond of.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-09 at 04:14 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The arrival of the Ambassador and his chief servant was a surprise to Drake, who was still catching up on other events. However, the admission that his daughter had been taken was even more surprising. As he leaned over to peruse the note, his eyes were drawn to his name ... and the items they were to bring.

Well, son of a starspawn ... but this is going to get complicated. How exactly am I supposed to get the orrery from D is they are obviously bargaining for it ... and perhaps more. Wait, what else might she ... if D is Lady Dox, the Changling Arano mentioned, then how is she getting her information?

Drake rubbed his chin for a moment, then spoke quietly, his voice barely above a whisper. ”Master Kleris, have you placed any wards here to avoid scrying and the like? I think this place, or someone here, may be compromised.”

OOC - A warning before continuing our conversation. Drake can’t detect magic, but perhaps someone else can.
    Show
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x2): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-06-06 at 05:10 PM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris is shocked when he opens to the door to find the Ambassador outside. He looks like he has seen better days and he rushes him inside, offering dry blankets and how cider or tea. He pats the grieving man on the arm and takes a stab at establishing some familiarity with the man "That is terrible news Danilos, just a moment ago Ambassador Gryphon and I were talking about visiting your estate to check up on the two of you. Peace Gryphon,-"

He gives the half elf a reproachful eye "A force capable of breaking into the heavily guarded and warned Sencriss compound would surely have had no trouble anticipating any of us. This is clearly the work of someone with both a detailed plan and highly professional skills. Do not blame the victims here."

Leaving the man to his grief after a moment he approaches the table with the note and to his surprise he sees the similarities to the one a week past. As he sees Drake lean in he too lowers his head to hear him "I have not yet Professor, I have personal protections from such things and have not prioritized such a thing yet. Clearly we should be wary since they do see our movements, they must have worried that you would hold up with your end of their demands.""

Looking up he looks at the others. Gryphon and Drake most likely had some method of protection, similar to his own, but he did not know about Kett or Arimart. If they were unprotected it could be someone spying on their movements. He looks over to Gryphon "Gryphon do you have any method of detecting magic or active spells in the area? Or any way to block them? The information here is... concerning to say the least and while I think its time to visit the new war room to plan I don't see the point unless we can be safe. Fool that I am I have no way of guaranteeing that."

He then looks to Danilos "Sir, I think we would be most willing to help you once more but do you have some item or vassal who can provide us with protection from Divination? Either personal or for the building?"

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon closes his eyes and bites the inside of his lower lip for a second to stifle his frustration with the ambassador’s parenting decisions, with Ghastor’s uselessness, with Kleris’ placating attitude, and with everyone else for excusing their dispassion with professionalism.

What the hells is wrong with these humans? A kid, Layla, is gonna get hurt because we’ve been so f***ing narcissistically fixated on our own egos!

He shakes his head slightly but can’t master his thoughts before memories of receiving the letter that informed him that his parent’s ship had gone down and they were MIA, coalesce in his mind.

Dad left the church of the flame as an apostate to fight a war he thought was morally right. Mom was a once in a generation bard and scholar; they were heroes, officers…adventurers. Adventures BEGIN with a ship getting knocked out of the sky, not end that way. It was just… such bull****, it didn’t make sense, it wasn’t fair…

But it was what happened. They never returned, just like the pension check the navy promised never showed up. The chef, the maid, even his tutor stopped showing up; they weren’t getting paid and their loyalty to the little rich boy who lost his parents didn’t extend beyond the last paycheck they received. Within a fortnight of the letter’s arrival he was alone in the manor house, eating the last of the food, cold out of the larder, staring out the windows like a ghost, at Sien and the other kids that he used to play with.

The cascade of thoughts refuses to slow as he remembers selling everything he could in the house, everything that reminded him of his parents and his life to pay his caravan ticket out of Stormhome. The lack of anything resembling care from the Tharashk mercenaries, and then his arrival in the Great Crag itself.

His first moments with his new family were defined by the unanesthetized splitting of his tongue and it was a perfect preamble for his next 12 years. Was not nearly every inch, aside from his face and hands, of his body covered in tattoos, carvings, scars, and brands to increase his arcane power? Was not every moment spent training or preparing for his eventual role as Droaam’s bridge to Khorvaire? Etiquette lessons, spellcasting theory, swordsmanship, and political science. Even sleep was no reprieve as nightly his mind was invaded with Dream spells as his daily lessons continued into the 8 hours he spend in Dal Quor.

And thank gods I had grandmothers who loved me. What’s gonna become of Layla without anyone like my family to look after her? How can everyone just be so flippant about her fate?

Finally mastering his thoughts, Gryphon returns to the present. Yes. Yes, Sir Kleris, I can sweep the room for magic but it’s going to take me 10 minutes. Perhaps it would be better to move everyone to a more secure room in the interim. Once we determine this room is clear from prying ears, perhaps, Professor Shardstone, you might be able to perform a quick veracity test to determine if anyone here has loose lips. Then we can set up an area free from divinations. Oh and… I’m sorry for my outburst and admonishment, Ambassador, it was out of line.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Gryphon ritual casts Detect Magic and scans the room for magic that someone might be using to spy on The Reprieve.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Gryphon wastes no time scanning the room for any magical signatures, the khoravar's irises burning as minute arcane formulae float around his field of vision. The phenomena are visible to the rest of you only as a faint blur, yet as the scales fall off of the bladesinger's eyes he sees. To Gryphon, each member of the group not under some kind of cloaking spell is lit up from the glow of various ensorcelled items: the thick-plate gauntlets on Arimart's hands, the bracers on Kett's wrists, the armor that Danilos is wearing underneath his cloak. They might as well all be beacons in a moonless night.

But there is one more spell active in the room, one not of your own making: there is the faintest trace of pale golden light, the vision of ancient eyes from a corner of the Reprieve. As Gryphon watches, the gaze scans over the room once before blinking out of existence as the magic fades. And for a single heartbeat, he could swear that those eyes meet his, but surely that is a passing fancy.

Throughout the whole process, Ghastor seems to be looking around as well; he has dispensed with the arrogance he wore for the party, his features settling into a look of surprising calm. The seneschal barely touches anything, murmuring to himself in a foreign tongue as his eyes glow for the barest of moments not long after your group's wizard. He too appears to catches the sight of the dissipating sensor, for he leans in to Danilos and speaks in a low tone. Those of you with sharp hearing pick up on the fact that he is confirming Gryphon's findings.

"Thank you," starts the ambassador, carefully avoiding looking at the mentioned corder, "for taking the matter seriously. I will of course reward you all handsomely for her safe return, even you Miss Collier. I… she means more to me than any heirloom or artifact in my treasury, so I would be happy to open my doors to you to select an item of your choice once she is back safe and sound. There is no need for an apology, for if you do not return her then the failure will still be mine." He turns to Drake, ignoring the sharp look from his majordomo.

"Unfortunately I have nobody else at my disposal who has the talents that you do, so I am entrusting this to your hands. I suppose you should cast your spell next, Professor Shardstone? Though I know not when we are expected to meet this kidnapper, I have the sinking feeling that time is of the essence."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-09 at 04:41 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

After the the scrying was confirmed, Drake sat for a moment, seemingly lost in thought as the others spoke, his eyes still on the note. He will need to bring both the journal - with any keys or ciphers to decrypt its contents - and the orrery controller for an exchange. Their mysterious competitor, he would presume it was Lady Dox for the moment, knew about the journal. Which meant she likely knew about the Codex. Which meant she was teaching for a greater prize ... or prizes, as the note implied. A Changling with the key to destroying modern spy craft AND open a planar manifestation anywhere? The only real spies left would be more primative by today’s standards, using disguises both arcane and mundane. The true masters of that world would likely be ...

...changelings.

Glancing up sharply as the ambassador spoke, he nodded wearily. ”Given what we have seen so far, perhaps we extend a measure of trust for one another for now and focus on stepping out of the limelight. Master Kleris, if you have a smaller room we might use? I might be able to afford us a measure of privacy for the rest of the evening.”

Presuming they adjourn to a smaller room, Drake touches the symbol hanging from his neck and waves a single hand tossing out fine dust that sparkles in the light. A ripple washes over the room as the dust glows for a moment, then disappears. He nodded to the room, murmuring, ”For those not warded from divination, step in and stay close to one another. That space is warded from prying eyes.”

After the group settled, he sat down and pulled out a note from earlier in the week. ”When Master Kleris and I visited the House of Counted Shadows, we learned a few things. First, most of the house was empty, a disconcerting issue. Perhaps they felt the place was compromised, or have a different location for true House business. Perhaps they are in the middle of a war, and have evacuated or lost members. Interestingly enough, the eyes and ears outside remained, so perhaps there is a major effort going on right now that has most of the personnel out on missions.

Second, we found a note, addressed to me, detailing knowledge of the orrery and my desire to obtain it. It asked for me to show up tonight, alone, to negotiate for the item, but I suspect it was a trap to obtain the controller. It was signed with a D, which I took to indicate the Lady Dox your husband mentioned earlier, Madam Kett. However, that is just an educated guess ... and as a newcomer to the city, my knowledge of local movers and shakers is limited.

However, this ransom note, for lack of a better description, mentions a journal, as well as the orrery controller. That seems to indicate D knows more now than she may have originally, regarding other items of interest within the city. If D has set their sights on multiple acquisitions using young Layla as the bargaining chip, this becomes more complicated by the minute. It also means that there may be scenarios where none of us are intended to survive.”

Drake paused to let the others ruminate on that, certain this group was savvy enough to realize he had not mentioned the Dark Lantern agent, the connection to Layla, nor the existence of the Codex in front of the ambassador.

OOC - don’t want to run too far ahead. Cast nondetection on a 10’ by 10’ square in a room with some chairs.
    Show
    Show
    2nd (x2): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Puts us in a bit of an awkward spot if you're meant to go alone, since chances are she'll just kill or capture you, keep Layla and take whatever you're carrying." It's what Kett would do, if she were in Lady Dox's shapeshifting shoes and Drake really did turn up on his lonesome. No better time to suggest it than now. "If she's planning a trap then perhaps we should have as many useful hands as we can get. Say, perhaps, a dashingly handsome husband of mine who's fought Lady Dox before? I'm sure Arimart can expedite his release into custody as a temporary measure. No branding, of course, but clearly Thronehold has little issue using criminals as tools when it suits them." The allusion to Raz was clear, and something even Danilos must be aware of and accept even if it was unpleasant.

She wouldn't suggest what the others could do during the time they were getting her husband out of the clink, but she had some ideas. Suggesting they release Arano right in front of Danilos was probably enough on its own. Giving additional suggestions might jeopardise it by making them agree to the 'smaller' advice but not the larger one.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake nodded at Kett. ”Excellent point, Milady. Before we continue with our planning, Sir Arimart, do you have any spells that might verify these are indeed the Lord Ambassador and his Consigliere? I do not mean to offend, but the true con artist always distracts the audience from the real deception with lots of loving parts, flashy attention grabbers, or a ticking clock ... and the answer is right in front of you. I wish to know you are who you say you are.

Second, once we have established your identities, I would ask you let us plan in private, least you know too much and it comes back to either haunt you or interferes with our execution. Fair enough?”

OOC - this is the part of the game that gets difficult - jumping at shows just because the DM shifted in his or her seat ... but it’s the scene 3SC set, so let’s play out the paranoia!
    Show
    Show
    3rd (x2): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

This turn it's Ghastor's turn to look offended at both of the requests posed, but Danilos lays a single hand on his courtier's arm. "It's alright, Vencyl. They may be out of line in asking, but both are sensible suggestions. In fact, I believe that we can accomplish both in one move. We can submit to any spell you have now to verify that we are who we say we are, and then we will travel directly to Thronehold Castle. There, Madam Kett, I will personally ensure that your husband is sent here to meet with you in preparation for this confrontation. If he does know more about who has my daughter then he is a momentary asset."

The ambassador from Thrane approaches Arimart. "Sir, I would ask that you cast your spell quickly so that we can depart. If you would like, we can have word sent from the castle upon our arrival to confirm that we are there, and that Arano is on his way. Is there a particular code phrase you would like us to use?"
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.