New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Professor Drake Shardstone

Drake watched his doppelgänger, following slowly behind. With focus, he abandoned his characteristic limp and tell-take thump of his cane. So that’s what I look like. Interesting. I should probably get a hair cut ... and some new trousers .. He paused when his mirror-image announced himself, but frowned slightly when he paused silently.

What is going on? Why is no one answering ... and what’s taking so long? Wait, he’s leaving? And looks upset ... dammit, they must be using a sending! But from where ...

What in the Dark Six was that?

Reaching out cautiously with his cane, Drake felt for his invisible companion. If he found him, he slowly approached and ran his hands down the arm and raised it to point in the direction of the noise. Then he leaned close to ‘Drake’ and murmured near his ear, ”West edge of mill...”

Then he slowly made his way towards it, giving wife enough berth to avoid hitting his companions.

OOC - Warning others and moving to investigate
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd
    0: guidance, thaumatugy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x2): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x0): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

Effects: 60’ darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

A Long Expected Ambush

After notifying Gryphon and his illusory twin of what he's heard, Drake begins to proceed as unobtrusively as he can towards the side of the mill where he heard the noise. It seems to stop the moment he moves, which is even more suspicious than when it started in the first place. There seems to be nobody in his line of sight... until his eyes catch a very specific detail on the ground directly ahead. There are two sets of footprints - one light, the other heavy - that end less than ten feet away from him.

His eyes widen, but before he can even turn and get out any kind of warning he hears a male voice from the empty space, pleasant and lilting. "Six damn it, we're blown. Eclipse."

Though the dwarf braces himself for some kind of attack, the spell goes right past him. Instead, everyone watches as the path and crops on all sides of Kleris and Gryphon erupt into a roiling morass of darkness identical to the kind that Kett summoned at the Burning Birthday. Seeping into existence like a lurid stain, it forms a spheroid shape roughly thirty paces in diameter. Warlock and wizard both are swallowed by the emanation, cut off from sight from everything around them.

Those of you further back see the base of the mill disappear from sight almost entirely, but to the west a pale masked elf in slick leathers has suddenly appeared in your view. He lets out a sharp whistle, which prompts movement on the building's balustrade. A second sneak, this one female by the looks of her, hurls some kind of metallic orb right into the center of the darkness. There, Gryphon and Kleris hear a popping sound, followed by a low and ominous hiss. On the sightless air, they both start to catch a strong scent of roses, with heady undertones of bergamot and peppermint. They immediately feel woozy, their bodies sagging as they collapse to the ground. To their distant terror, they realize here in unfixed shadow there is no difference between the waking world and the sleeping one. Kleris hears the same unbodied voice receding as he fades away.

<I am so very sorry...>

There is a momentary pause, and the first of the elven ambushers fixes his gaze right on Drake, who has reappeared directly in view. He has already pulled out a hand crossbow and drawn back the lever, but both his quarrel and that of the elf leaning over the balcony go wide. They crouch behind cover to start reloading, and the first one that gave the signal calls out again: "the half-elf and changeling are down! Everyone focus fire on the dwarf."

The next surprise of the evening arrives in the form of the third attacker, who barrels into view with terrible momentum. The space directly in front of the dwarf that was once vacant is now very much... not. Six feet of solid forged steel tear through the air, bringing a two-handed sword across in a wide swing that there is just no avoiding. The end of the greatsword slides across Drake's midsection, drawing blood before snapping back to its wielder's side in a high guard. But the appearance of another attacker is not itself surprising; it's the blue-and-silver fire motifs of Thrane all over the pauldrons and breastplate that you are not expecting.

"Hi Drake," says Draci conversationally from under her helm. "Turns out those orders came down just a bit sooner than I thought."

Spoiler: Round 1 OOC
    Show
    Map of the Mill

Here we are - the fight! I'm saying for the purposes of the mechanics that even though Gryphon at least was forewarned of a possible threat by Drake, two of the immediate enemies had what amounts to readied actions since they took at least 'a round' sneaking up and preparing. Narratively, they still did get the drop on you so this feels like an appropriate ruling and it skirts 5E's surprise rules - which in general I dislike, since they impose a penalty on the surprised rather than giving an advantage to the surpriser (is that a word? I feel like that should be a word).

Anyhow, so we now have a Darkness area up that was cast by one of the hidden elves, and the other a poison smoke bomb that caught both Sask and Gryphon. Unfortunately, I rolled your Con saves on Roll20 and you both failed, so both of you are unconscious somewhere in that magical darkness. Both Invisibility and Shield of Faith are gone, since both of you count as incapacitated.

After that, I have officially rolled for Initiative! And it seems like Lady Luck hates you all, because not only are Gryphon and Sask down for the count the enemies handily beat every single one of you in the turn order. I'm resolving some enemy turns 'behind the screen', setting up spells and other tactics to prepare against you all. The three enemies right here all focus fire on Drake. Though the Invisibility has dropped due to Gryphon losing consciousness, they only managed to get a single swing in on Drake for 13 points of damage.

Your Round 1 actions, please.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-30 at 11:11 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 52/52
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (~5 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Pass Without Trace (1 hour)
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour)

Well so much for stealth. And the plan. And everything. It's pretty sad that Gryphon and Kleris got taken out in a flash. She was expecting better, but disappointment in other people was no stranger to Kett. "Go pick them up, I'll hit the one up top so they don't rain anymore on the parade." She doesn't wait for a response before breaking forwards, her feet carrying her across the mill's road silently. Her spell was still up and her slippers only benefited it. It was dark already, but the spell only enhanced it as a being made up more of smoke and shadow crosses the battlefield before vanishing into nothing, appearing on the mill balcony again. She barely appears human at this point, wreathed in darkness as she is, and she uses that to her advantage. Her right hand lashes out at the crossbowman's neck, a swift chopping motion to steal his breath away. Her hand sails past, but barely a few inches, gripping the back of his neck to drive the man's nose into her rapidly ascending knee.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Forward and then Bonus Action: Shadow Step up to the mill, as per the map. She's still got 20' of movement to spare if it was flat so that should account for any elevation concerns.
    Action: Attack, with advantage from Shadowstep/Hidden: (1d20+8)[27](1d20+8)[23](1d6+5)[10]
    Extra Attack, with advantage if she was hidden...which I would hope she was: (1d20+8)[21](1d20+8)[25](1d6+5)[10]

If an advantage attack hits she deals (1d6)[4] sneak attack damage.

Not gonna try any stunning strikes for now. Ki is precious and I dumped 2 already on PWT.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ogre in the Playground

In a brief moment, everything goes hawry... as usual.

With the bomb attack the Paladin sees Gryphon and Kleris going down, and he is reminded of the guerrilla tactics used by the Khesh'dar goblins during the war. And Draci is there, too! Arimart thinks that he should have offered her a work at Thronehold instead of a simple resolution. At least her presence makes clear who is really behind everything.

As he analyzes the situation, Kett's voice recalls him into action, and the half-elf is ready to engage the enemy.

"Well, master Arano, I think your wife is right. I'll ride toward the darkness and try to bring back our companions. See what you can do on my steed!"
    After he said that, he looks in front of him, and calls his horse to action.

"Ich'nar!"*

Ready for everything, the paladin launches himself in the thick of the fight, as he is used to do. As they reach the dark zone, he jumps down from his steed, and crawls inside, using his memory and his elven-heritage senses to quickly find who he thinks is Kleris.
    Still blinded by the darkness, he gathers his divine power and a discharge of holy radiance enters the fallen body of his companion, purging the toxins inside it.
    After he has done it, he takes his shield and utters a prayer to the Silver Flame; immediately, a quicksilver-like emanation from the center of his shield covers all his new armor.

Show

Riding his horse until the edge of darkness. If Arano wants it to dash he will have movement to go wherever he wants.

Dismounting using half his speed (15ft), Reviving Kleris with his Lay on hands Ability (-5HP) then casting Shield of Faith

Spoiler: * Celestial
    Show

"To battle!"
    Does this poster have a sign?

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The situation went sideways quickly. In his own town, his reinforcements would have emerged from their hiding places and attacked immediately - which fortunately enough was what happened here as well. However, he had not planned on how well resourced and prepared their opponents were. This was more than just doing one’s homework - this was steady surveillance and close observation.

When Draci appeared, slashing his chest with her giant-a$& sword, several things began to click in his mind. Ah, damn my old bones and cloudy eyes ... Dox isn’t just working for herself - she’s working with Velancor! Hells bells, she and the Phiarlans might have been the contingency plan at the party, in case Velancor was outbid.

Dox probably wants the Codex ... bet she hasn’t shared that with her allies. However, if this is only about the orrery, then they don’t care about the girl. If this is about more, then they may kill her anyway and question the corpse. With Velancor, they’ve got serious Thranish backing for the spells and gear to take us out. They are certainly prepared for any tricks we’ve used before. They were ready for our masking spells ... they’ll likely be prepared for any suggestions ... and they saw right through the disguise. But Changling?

Of course, what if Velancor actually is V ...?

The pain in his chest pulled him from his internal revelations. Pulling free a short blade, Drake backed away from Draci, waving his blade defensively. ”Ah, Lady Draci. While I wished you no ill, I certainly did not wish to meet again so quickly, nor under these circumstances. It seems a peaceful diplomatic solution is no longer viable. It seems Lady V is desperate for the Codex. Or at least cleaning up loose ends.”

OOC - damn, we are being outmaneuvered. Drake will draw a blade and disengage back away from Draci ... he’ll use cover where available, but avoid the darkness.

Also trying to provoke the warrior a bit.

Show
    AC: 14 HP: 39/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x2): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x0): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-08-18 at 12:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Sask grumbles awake with a raging headache and the weird sense of foreign divine magic in his system. After a second his mind snaps back to the present and he feels his face in the dark as his mind flits back and forth trying to remember the persona he had been when he had passed out.

As he feels the Dwarven face on himself he remembers. 'Ugh that was not my best work. I gotta work on my bluffing.'

He sees only darkness but can hear the combat around him. He stubles back to his feet, fighting off the last remnants of the poison. He slings his shield onto his arm before reaching down to grab Gryphon, pumping healing energy into him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stand up and draw shield as move action. Then heal Gryphon with 5 points of Lay on Hands.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

7. - Top - End - #877
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon’s eyes flare open, he turns his head, and coughs up the last of the poison gas. Instinctively, as a reaction to eminent danger, he slows his breathing to a crawl, reaches out with his arcane senses, and shifts into a state of Bladesong.

Taking in the chaos of battle on the windmill balcony, Draci’s advance towards Drake, and the two paladins standing above him. He rolls to his feet while lifting his hands in the air, like a conductor coaxing a climax out of an orchestra; causing the earthen road, in front of the man he knew best as Kleris, to spring up into a 5’ cubic curtain wall between the warlock and their enemies, replete with a balistraria from which he can cast Eldritch Blasts.

Finally, he retreats back behind Arimart, the forefinger of his right hand held up, ready to rain his own magical bombardments down upon the enemies.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

The night... doesn't seem to be going as planned. Drake valiantly puts some distance between him and the metal-clad killer, clambering over the fence as quickly as possible while baring a blade in nervous anticipation. Draci's gaze does not waver, but by her stance she's not about to let a few yards get between her and her target. Thankfully, the forces you held in reserve begin to spring in to save the combat. It kicks off with Tairil's volley, as the agent near the Thrane knight takes one in the chest from the elf. As he tumbles to the ground with a cry of pain, his eye contact breaks off and with it the field of cloying shadow that was surrounding your team. In the same instant Arimart is already charging, the paladin swooping in like a white knight of legend to rescue Kleris and bring him back to his feet. The latter does the same for Gryphon, who rounds out the recovery by putting up a barrier to stop arrows from striking your frontline.

Kett, being Kett, takes a decidedly different avenue to the action. Where the rest of you gather your strength and prepare together, she cuts through the shadows like only she can do, emerging on the mill's balcony right next to the bomb-thrower to launch a barrage of strikes. Her opponent, to her credit, takes the hits with mere grunts before pulling out a stiletto blade for a close quarters tussle. It's spy vs spy, each matched evenly against the other! That is, until Arano drives his heels into Arimart's steed, pushing the animal even further only to stand in the saddle and do a fanciful flip over the railing and onto the deck. Husband and wife flank their target now, and Arano wastes no time stabbing her while she's distracted. He gives Kett a knowing smile as they lock eyes over bloody blades.

Yet even with some momentum regained, your enemy quickly regains the upper hand. Draci does not so much climb over the fence as batter it aside with her bulk, but in an instant she is upon Drake once more. She says not a word in response to the dwarf's taunt, recognizing bait when she hears it. Instead she repeats the deed from moments ago, as her blade reaches out and comes back red. The knight looks to be going for a decapitation when she hears a voice and settles for a mailed backhand to Drake's face.

"Sle laim! Ee cel eie haat. Khabris, sliatheen."

The command comes from the eastern side of the windmill, where a new figure has winked into existence. In the heat of battle it takes some of you a second to place the voice and manner - for one, she's changed from a party dress to something a bit more doctrinal - but there is no mistaking the steely gaze of Lycia Velancor. The prelate assesses the battlefield, taking note of your various positions and Gryphon's in particular before unhurriedly backing up behind a nearby fence wall. She waves a hand and suddenly the ground around your main group begins to open; from the claiven earth emerges a host of lustrous tendrils! They coil suffocatingly against your limbs and armor. Try as you might, those of you down on the path are held fast in their embrace.

To make matters worse, footsteps herald the arrival of a second enemy on the balcony - this time it's Kett's turn to be caught between two foes, as the pair unleash a whirlwind of quick knife cuts and thrusts. Nimble as the monk is, there's really nowhere to maneuver; she takes one stab to the back of the thigh and the other right below her collarbone. The punctures are textbook precision work, hitting all the right places to try to nick an artery or do some real damage to the muscles Kett really needs to keep fighting. As one of them falls into a weaving stance, a bit of their forearm comes into view under moonlight: their raised skin shows the tattoo of the displacer beast of House Thuranni.

Spoiler: Round 2 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

Right; so Arano and Tairil were both able to connect and deal some solid damage, the former acting as Kett's flanking buddy and the latter laying down some suppressing fire. However, the enemies are still going full steam ahead. Draci was able to hop over that fence and hit Drake two more times with her greatsword for a total of 20 more damage. At the same time, Velancor has appeared and moved out of Counterspell range to drop a spell that has ensnared Arimart, Kleris, and Gryphon. At the start of your next guys' next turns, you three count as restrained (your speed is 0, enemies have advantage to hit you, and you have disadvantage on Dex saves) and you each take 9 damage. You may use your action to make a Strength or Dexterity check (I'll say Athletics or Acrobatics are fine) to escape.

Finally, a second Thuranni cutthroat has appeared to flank Kett, and both of them got in a flurry of knives against her for a total of 36 damage. We've got a double-flanking situation here, which means lots of advantage and Sneak Attack for everyone. Which, you know, is both a good and a bad thing.

Spoiler: Celestial
    Show
    "No killing! I want them taken alive. Khabris, remain on watch."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-04 at 05:43 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 16/52
    Conditions: Darkvision (~5 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Pass Without Trace (1 hour)
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (1 hour)

She grits her teeth at the pain, but she wasn't a particular stranger to it. At the very least she'd have new scars to show off when she next goes home. They hadn't even broken her concentration. "I'll be killing you now. Professional courtesy to let you know in advance." Kett starts chatting - amiably, almost, despite the pain - as she pulls back her elbow hard to throw the guy behind her off balance, but it's not intended for him, or for the opponent in front of her. Her body pulled back she jerks her head forward, spitting blood into her assailant's eyes. Whatever got the job done. Her opponent temporarily blinded she sweeps their leg to take them off their feet before stomping right down in their nose, hitting it for the second time in one night. The force of the impact bends the boards beneath it, and if she went for it a second time they might even break entirely.

Still wreathed in shadow, a figure of clouds, she turns to the remaining assassin, flicking up one of the first's fallen weapons with her foot. "So if you do want to live, leave." Any retaliation he offers will fall short, as her form vanishes into the gloom, though it reappears only feet away at Arano's back. She did, actually, need a breather. If only for a moment.

Show

Action: Attacks rolled in the OOC thread - 22 to hit, 14 damage and 26 to hit, 8 damage. Note that if the first attack does kill her target, her second attack loses advantage so she only attacks for 13 to hit.
    Object Interaction: If there's any decent things on the body, Kett'll snatch them up. Prioritising melee weapons if nothing else really sticks out.
    Bonus Action Shadow Step to the other side of Arano, putting him between her and guy-who-somehow-snuck-up-on-her.
    Move: Doesn't look like there's any archers around but she'll still drop prone, maybe give her partial cover against something or other.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-07-05 at 07:17 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ogre in the Playground

As one arrow for their Tairnadal ally reaches the caster and pains him enough to end his ability to keep the darkness up, the dim evening light appears again, and with it other figures that come out from the darkness.

Glancing at the couple of Assassins fighting against two other hirelings, Arimart notices that one of them slices at Kett with a bit too much fervor for his liking, quickly, he looks in his direction and utters a declaration:
    "Lawless as you may be, learn empathy, and learn it by pain!" As he says the last word, a Silvery light burns the elf in the exact same spot his hurt Kett, almost bringing him to his knees.

Turning toward Draci, the paladin prepares to fight her, but before he can act hideous tendrils of darkess rise from the terrain below, and a voice shouts in celestial.
    As he tries to take out the tendrils that are squeezing him, Arimart realizes that he won't be able to reach Drake in time to stop the Half-Orc next attack, and even if Lady Velancor (of course it must be her behind it!) wants them alive, he does not intend to let one of his comrades fall.

Quickly, he concentrates, and the symbol on his Shield brightens for an instant; at the same time, a group of flaming faces starts swirling around Drake, blinking continuosly in and out of existance while they rise and fall from the grounbd.
    But only those that try to get too close to the Dwarf to strike him down, can see them staying fixed, hearing in their mind the same words repeated incessantly "This soul is guarded by the Flame, woe unto you who come with ill intentions."

"Kleris, Gryphon, they are here for us, but they want to capture us alive! Let them know what you think about it."

Finally, before trying again to free himself, the paladin communicates mentally with his steed, directing him to charge Lady Velancor

"Heru'ta dohel, Aher Sehel Damet"

Now, as he concentrates again to force the tentacles away from him, the battle keeps raging on, his steed charging as fast as he can toward Lady Velancor

Spoiler: *
    Show

"Attack the woman, try not to kill her too much"

Spoiler: Arimart actions
    Show

Reaction to use his Channel Divinity and Rebuke the Violent against the one who attacked Kett with most damage.
    Action to unsuccessfully free himself from the restraints.
    Bonus Action to cast Sanctuary on Drake.

Spoiler: Steed Actions
    Show

Horse Hoof Attack: to-hit (1d20+6)[22] damage (2d6+4)[9] If hit DC 14 STR check to not fall prone.
    If knocked prone, second attack with advantage: to-hit (1d20+6)[8] (1d20+6)[15] damage (2d6+4)[11]

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris gives up on the Drake persona he had adopted for the operation. He was still in the dwarven body but the rest knew him as Kleris so he would fall back to the Kleris persona rather then Sask.

He glares at Lycia that was trying to lock them down once more after the horrifying poison knocked him and Gryphon out. He was over this six damned lockdown, he needed to move and get into the fight before the real Drake was killed or taken by the knight from before. He glares at the caster that had unleashed this spell and gathers the raw energy of his hatred, the glowing balls of energy taking only a second to gather power before blasting out in a purple streak towards Lycia.

Then he glares at Draci and hisses as he dabs a finger into a bit of blood from where an armor plate cut into him, "Suffer the cost of your TRANSGRESSIONS!"

Show
    Bonus Action Hexblades Curse on Draci.

Eldritch Blast on Lycia:

1: (1d20+7)[12] with damage being (1d10+4)[13]
    2: (1d20+7)[13] with damage being (1d10+4)[8]

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

12. - Top - End - #882
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The situation continued to favor their enemies, punctuated by another blow from the half-orc - this one a steely punch to his jaw. Grunting in pain, Drake staggered back a step, spitting out no small amount of blood. His eyes turned cold as he scanned the battlefield quickly, assessing his options. Before he could decide in a course of action, sparkling motes appeared around him. Recognizing the spell as one of sanctuary, he shrugged inwardly and elected to take a chance. Moving away from Draci and closer to his allies, Drake tapped into his own divine connection, summoning a beam of light and sending it streaking I to the night ... towards Lady Velancor.

OOC - move action away from Draci (hopefully her AOO fails) and guiding bolt at Velancor.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[23], Dam - (4d6)[9], advantage on attacks vs Lady V next round, if he hits.

Show
    AC: 14 HP: 19/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Show
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-08-18 at 12:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

In the frenetic moments that follow - the parries and ripostes, dodges and repositions - the battlefield around the mill begins to expand. With Kett now behind him, Arano pushes into a melee with the second Thuranni cutthroat, exchanging dagger cuts in a deadly dance that has yet to declare a winner. The other killers, which include a half-elven face that several of you recognize as belonging in a Thrane prison, begin to creep around the edges of the far fields to start an approach on Tairil, who is preoccupied with the scene of Draci and Drake unfolding in front of her.

Still outpacing the dwarf, Draci is only prevented from cutting down her target when a sudden surge of light emerges around the Host priest. Arimart's spell has is holding her at bay for now, and even as she re-centres herself two arrows thunk loudly off of her helmet. They barely miss her visor holes, but as it stands both projectiles bounce harmlessly away. The Thrane knight looks for the source of the attack, eyes meeting with Tairil before dismissing her and continuing implacably after her target. Drake, having managed to get out of this, has already unleashed his own attack against Draci's mistress, which was followed up ably by Arimart's horse.

Lying far away in the dirt, Velancor lets out a shrill high-pitched sound... which finds an echo as something returns her cry.

Suddenly, from above all of your heads, you hear the cracking of rooftop tiles and a rhythmic whooshing sound, as a large shape snaps into focus. Uncoiling outwards is a silhouette that none of you have ever seen in person before: easily ten feet long with iridescent flecked scales of emerald and topaz, this snake weaves across the sky as though immersed in deep water. Its wings are just as radiant, autumn plumages keeping its body aloft. It returns all of your gazes with one of its own, for despite its strange hybrid body the entity has human-like features rather than ophidian or avian ones. Ancient eyes survey the whole field, taking absolutely everything in. From the recesses of its mind is broadcast a message that none of you miss.

<I will protect you, Mistress Velancor...>

But most of you don't have time to admire the possible reappearance of a mythic celestial, as Velancor manages to scrabble back up to her feet, slip out of the horse's way and take up a new position in the midst of a nearby field patch. Her threaded brows furrow at the horse that nearly took her out and then at Arimart, writhing in the grips of her spell. "Well," you hear her say to herself, "if they were tough enough to face down a Karrnathi squadron, they can probably survive this..."

With a withered finger she points at the ground in the middle of her existing conjuration. There is a sinking feeling in your stomachs as a familiar looking white-hot bead of energy is hurtled through the night air, meeting the ground to a cacophony of booming flame. All parties are consumed by the blast, unable to get free of the worst of the flame's impact.

When the glow from the explosion fades, Gryphon's singed body is only being held up by the tentacles, which continue to squeeze the life out of him. In a matter of seconds, he will surely expire from his injuries. Arimart and Kleris don't fare much better, and in some places it's hard to tell where the scorched skin ends and the bubbling metal begins. Velancor stands and watches the aftermath of her work, looking at the bladesinger with a vaguely disappointed expression. The air around her shimmers in threads of lambent silver now, clearly the result of the feathered snake's intervention as she gives it a deep nod of thanks.

"Surrender now," the Thrane wizard then shouts to those of you still conscious, "and we can end tonight without corpses!"

Spoiler: Round 3 OOC
    Show
    Updated Map

A less eventful but still not great round for all of you. Most of the other enemies were ineffectual, but your allies' rolls were pretty bad too. Only Velancor and her pet celestial - which both Arimart and Gryphon would recognize as a couatl, one of the legendary feathered serpents that supposedly founded the Silver Flame. Though they are supposed to be extinct or dead, somehow Velancor is commanding one. The couatl readied a Sanctuary on her this round for after she got off a Fireball spell. The Fireball dealt 27 damage to Kleris, Gryphon and Arimart. Unfortunately since all three failed their checks this turn, they also take an additional 15 from the Black Tentacles spell she's still concentrating on. This damage also knocks Gryphon out; though he successfully makes his first death save.

Once again, it's your move.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-06 at 05:00 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

The battle was lost already. They had been outmaneuvered from the first moment they had arrived, and continuing the conflict would only result in more dead bodies. The arrival of the couatl certainly explained a great deal, effectively countering all their attempts at subterfuge and chicanery. All that was left to them was a choice between surrender and death.

Of course, the body within the mill suggested the choice might be a lie; would Velancor, noted spymistress, leave anyone alive to tell the tale or potentially attempt to thwart her in the future? What if the assassins allied with her? What if they had a different mandate? If Velancor was V, they were already dead, and surrendering was simply an excuse to torture them for the whereabouts of the orrery and journal. If the Lady was only after the orrery, then someone else - Dox, or her client - would certainly not leave them alive after recovering the journal.

All signs pointed to the end of a blade or a spell, with only the hope that his companion’s celebrity status might spare their lives. Unfortunately, there was little Drake could do to counter Velancor’s dominating gambit. The celestial wyrm was immune to any mind tricks, and surely the others were appropriately shield from such shenanigans. His combat spells were pitiful in the face of overwhelming odds, and his reserves were all here ... and failing gloriously. What move could he make? What Crown did he have hidden in his sleeve? What lie could he tell? If only he could get rid of the couatl ...

Lowering his sword, Drake spoke loudly, his voice echoing across the open expanse as he called upon one of his minor magiks. ”You call us here, you attack with lethal force and have slain innocent bystanders. We will cease hostilities, but you must provide some measure of good faith as assurance of no further violence. First, you, release your spell hurting my companions. Second, allow us to heal those you have brought low, most notably the Ambassador. Finally, and most importantly, you have kidnapped a young noblewoman for use as a bargaining chip - present Lady Layla ir'Sencriss or suffer the wrath of the city Magistrates, as well as several other represented nations. I am certain your masters would prefer your acquisitions and actions not cause an international scandal, Milady, especially given your present treatment of a number of respected and feared champions and representatives arrayed before you.

Wouldn’t you agree Lord Kaessel?”

OOC - Using thaumaturgy to project. Prepared to stand down if they bring Layla. I figure someone can always send a message to the other Magistrates...
    Show
    AC: 14 HP: 40/52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Show
    1st (x3): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    3rd (x1): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 16/52
    Conditions: Darkvision (~5 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Pass Without Trace (~1 hour)
    Concentrating: Pass Without Trace (~1 hour)

Kett sighs quietly as yet another Thuranni and now some giant bird-snake-dragon shows up, but it's Gryphon falling limp and the Professor's speech that seals the deal. She doesn't drop her stance, but it's enough that she holds off on continuing the assault for now. They had intended to talk all along, and even if she felt confident that with her injuries she and Arano could take down the assassins up here, what went on down there wasn't quite the same. "I hope you're getting paid well for this gig. Can't imagine you'd take it otherwise. You do know what's at stake here, right?" She doubts it. They'd have to be truly stupid to think they could use the Codex for themselves without repercussions. Yes, it might give House Thuranni temporary dominance, but nothing lasts forever, and sooner or later the Codex will get taken by someone else and used against them. It was altogether too dangerous to leave in anyone's hands. Its existence would spell the end of both Houses, and possibly the complete end of the Mark of Shadow, at least for a while.

Then again a lot of Thuranni she met were truly stupid so maybe they really hadn't thought ahead that far.

Show

Action: Ready: Shadow Step if an attack is made against her to teleport onto the mill roof, out of range.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Velancor does not hesitate before replying to Drake's demands, voice similarly augmented by magic to be heard over the field. "I will meet your terms as best I can, Master Shardstone." One blink and the silver tendrils collapse in on themselves, sloughing away into nothingness and leaving both Arimart and Kleris free to stand on their own two feet. Gryphon slumps to the ground, but at the last second Draci catches his head. After a nod from her boss, the knight pulls out a small electric blue phial with the mark of House Jorasco on it and pulls the half-elf's lips apart to administer the potion. "Sorry wizard," she grumbles as she pours the liquid down his throat, "but blue behirberry was the only flavor I could get my hands on." With a sputter and shake, you see colour return to Gryphon's cheeks and his hair stand up from the static charge. His breathing is regular, though his eyes remain closed for the time being. Surely he will wake soon.

While the rest of you are in the process of lowering weapons, a small commotion erupts at the northern edge of the field. Tairil, having heard the exchange, has evidently decided not to stick around: the elf is already bounding up and away, her bow strapped back between her shoulders. The Thuranni who were already sneaking up on her break cover to try and charge after, but it's a half-hearted thing and they return to the fold before even another handful of seconds have passed. Only Drake is able to get a glimpse of the retreating Valenar's face, which is set in raw determination rather than shame. She gives the priest a discreet nod before dipping out of view.

Upon their return both of the knife-wielders approach Drake, flanking him at a respectful but obvious distance should he try anything rash. All around you that same scene is repeated: though Draci has just stabilized Gryphon she remains standing over the bladesinger sword in hand, and behind Kett there is a click as a door opens and footsteps emerge. Berick, the very same half-elf who is supposed to be in a Thrane garrison jail or better yet executed for murder, stands free and clear, a crossbow levelled at the Phiarlan agent. He muzzles a grin. "We're getting paid well enough. How about you? Any luck finding 'Quicksilver'?"

The mage says nothing at first, evidently thinking something over. The great couatl does a lazy loop over the area before alighting on a patch of grass in front of her, celestial scales and feathers folding together. It's like watching a sculpture be built in reverse, pieces being tucked away from the whole to leave a sliver. The whole process takes only a few heartbeats, but what remains is not a feathered serpent at all but a statuesque silhouette with emerald hair and the same burning eyes. She carries a small snake staff in her hand, and there is the hint of raised scale ridges along the back of her arms and neck. There can be no doubt that this is the same creature.

"Layla was never here," comes a voice to cut through the sight. The final figure of the evening has strode through the front door of the mill, moving up to stand near Velancor. It's the same woman that Drake saw in his vision, no distinguishing marks or features whatsoever. A sharp intake of breath from Arano confirms Kett's suspicions, but the voice and the stance make it obvious enough: Dox.

"I'd never bring such a valuable piece to an ambush like this. She's safe for the time being. If we all drop our weapons, we can take you to her and sort this out. You'll get the girl back, and Lady Velancor and I will walk away with our prizes. Our deal can still stand."

Spoiler: OOC - End of Combat
    Show
    Well that's a fight over! I'm excited to see where you all go from here.

Oh, and you all hit 8th level as of right now in-game. The next time you take a short rest, you can spend Hit Dice to regain health as though you were 8th level rather than 7th, and you will effectively gain all 8th level class features. You won't get any spell slots back sadly (unless you're Kleris) and your health won't auto-fill since it wouldn't be a long rest, but everything else will come back. Any new feats and ASIs will also apply after said short rest.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-08 at 05:49 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

As Drake chooses the wisest course of action, a lot of different things happens, both around Arimart and in his mind.

Seeing the appearance of such an holy creature, standing right in front of him makes him almost skip a heartbeat, even more so than the burning explosion he took in the face. And the paladin knows that when fiery explosions on your face stop surprising you, it's a sign you should reassess your life choices.

Now free from the restraints, he thinks to cure Gryphon, but sees that Draci already thought about it. He nods his head at the fighter, the only person present toward whom he feels a vague degree of respect. Without a word, he takes the senseless body of his fellow Khoravar, calls his steed with a whistle, and depose the magician over it.

Then, he looks at the now shapeshifted Couatl, both surpised and awed at what he saw a moment before. After a moment that seems eternal for him, he turns to Lady Velancor and the other woman who showed up. He puts his warhammer back in his place, showing no intention of leaving it behind, then starts speaking.

"I see that what you lack in honestly and common decency you seem to make up for in subtlety. For what I'm concerned, my only interest is seeing lady Layla, but I'm curious, why are you so eager to bring us to her after you attacked us for no reason?"

Spoiler: Into his mind
    Show

While he looks at the Couatl, and when he speaks to the others, Arimart tries to think repeatedly in celestial the same phrase: "Can you hear me?"

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 16/59
    Conditions: Darkvision (~5 hours), 4/6 Ki Remaining, Pass Without Trace (~1 hour)

"You know, so far I'm actually coming out pretty well all things considered. A few nicks here and there, few bumps along the road, but overall I'd say I'm better than before. It's been a good workout if nothing else." She's amiable as she needs to be, now that the fight's over. "You'd best make sure your contract includes a next of kin square clause though. I'm guessing we'll be fighting again later and it'd be a shame if all your hard work went to waste." The next of kin square clause (or NOKS for short) was, of course, a necessity with particularly thorough people who tried to cut off avenues of retaliation by killing not just their target but also their next of kin. It ensured that payment still got made to the next of kin's next of kin, since it's a rarity for them to go that far unless they're going entirely scorched earth on a particular bloodline, in which case the NOKS clause usually included something about charitable donations to a preferred cause.

The appearance of Dox was not unexpected, but still immensely distasteful. She purses her lips but holds off on saying anything else for now. Chances are she'd say something unwise.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Berick leans over the balustrade, returning a smile of questionable sincerity. "I'm covered, don't worry. I'd have to be a complete moron to get into this racket without arrangements for my death, wouldn't I? Besides, the only family I've got goes into the field with me. Chances are if I go, he goes." The crossbow is never lowered as he speaks. "I'm guessing the same applies to your hubby over there. If my brother or I put him down, where should we send the flowers?"

Out on the field, Draci steps back and away from Gryphon as he's raised onto the horse, then moves to join the rest of your foes to close out the rough perimeter around you. The transformed couatl heads to the fence and offers an arm valiantly for Velancor to clamber over the fence, but her line of sight strays to Arimart's and suddenly he hears a voice.

At the same time Dox enters the circle unhurriedly, exchanging a wordless look with the Thrane spymistress before turning to answer the question posed to her before Arimart has time to keep speaking to Khabris.

"You were planning an ambush, same as us. Should I apologize for striking first when you were never going to play by the rules?" She makes a shrug that's no doubt intended to look careless, but never quite breaks eye contact the entire time. "Anyway, it's blood under the bridge. The way I see it, nobody important's died here, so we can still deal. I get the journal now, then we all take a walk to where we've stashed the girl. You verify it's her and not a changeling or an illusion and that she's not mind-controlled and Lady Velancor gets the orrery, then we all go our separate ways."

Arimart

<Hello, Arimart,> intones the celestial's voice inside your head. <You may call me Khabris. I apologize for my role in events here tonight - I wish we had met under different circumstances. Before we speak further, please be aware that I am bound to Lady Velancor, and part of my instructions are to report everything I see and hear back to her.>
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-11 at 02:36 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart glances at Kett and laughs at Lady Dox 'honest proposal', but chooses not to answer anything, instead, he tries to communicate some more with the holy creature.

"No problem, Khabris, but I imagine the direness of your situation, working for this worthless creature surely so much below your stature. I merely wish to know how... how are you here. Your kind... for what I know it is part of the Silver Flame! The idea of meeting you feels to me as much absurd as it would be to spar with Tira Mirion herself!"

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 23/59

"Oh you can drop them off with any Phiarlan and they'll get where they need to go. Benefits of being a House wife." She's not particularly worried about the crossbow - they were trained to snatch bolts and arrows from the air, even if she couldn't dodge it in time. "You did hear your boss say to drop your weapon right? Wouldn't want to jeopardise her business, might cost you some coin." There was probably not a better moment than this to patch herself up. She quietly, calmly, and with no particular slow pace retrieves a potion and downs it in one. It certainly helps close up some of her bleeding wounds a bit faster, gives her a little bit more spring in her step. "How much is she paying you, by the by?" She wipes a little bit of excess potion from her lips with one arm. "Any chance you could be bought out of the contract? Want to make sure I'm keeping my options open."

Spoiler
    Show

Quaffing her potion of healing (2d4+2)[7]...just in case.
    16+7=23
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-07-09 at 05:43 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris looks around as the fight falls to a standstill the enemies clearly had their group on the ropes and he couldn't see a way out. As they are slowly surrounded he slams his sword away with ill grace as he watches Draci carefully. Making sure the knight wasn't doing anything to Gryphon.

As the half elf comes back to consciousness he leans down and gives him a bit of Healing to supplement what he had gained from the Potion. After that he drinks a Potion of his own and uses a bit more healing for himself.

As things stabilize he looks curiously at the Celestial creature. It was clearly a powerful being that he was surprised to see here. It was clearly bound to the wizard but how willingly? Was there some sort of lever there to manipulate. It was hard to believe that such a being enjoyed the servitude being forced on it.

He keeps an eye on the proceedings but let's the real Drake take the lead for negotiation. As much as he wanted to be the one to bring Layla back for the pointsbit would gain him with Ir'Sencriss he had no play in the negotiation here. Better to wait and watch... for his moment.

Show
    Heal 5 for Gryphon and 4 for Kleris with Lay on Hands.

Then drink a Potion of Healing (2d4+2)[7]

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

With the truce seemingly in play, Drake gave an appraising look at the two flankers at the ready. Sheathing his blade, he shook his head. ”It seems we are all victims to our past experiences - neither of our respective groups could conceive of a clandestine meeting in a deserted part of the city to discuss blackmail NOT devolving to backstabbing and treachery. Call it a commentary on our respective professions and life in our times, I suppose.

However, while I appreciate the offer to hand over our possessions in exchange for the promise of reciprocity, I do not think we are there yet in terms of blind trust. Nor do I feel your position is strong enough to simply murder us and hope you can find the items you ask desperately seek ... otherwise this conversation would be moot because we would be dead.”

Drake gazed across the assembled people, pausing momentarily on the couatl, then lingering longer on Lady Velancor before continuing. ”Fortunately, since none of us have acted in completely good faith - except the noble Child of Siberys, of course - it seems we have an opportunity to negotiate. So Lady Velancor, perhaps we should start with you as the patron in charge.

I am sure you wouldn’t normally be squeamish about using kidnapping as an end to a means, but I am surprised you would allow such tactics against a kinsman. Given our earlier encounter earlier, I was hoping your reaction would be more subtle and sophisticated. The use of the Phiarlans to secure the device was certainly clever, but this ... brutish.”

OOC - I’ll pause there for now, but time to divide the house ...
    Show
    Show
    3rd (x1): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-08-18 at 12:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

With the surrender and subsequent ceasefire now in effect, the assembled enemies seem to have relaxed somewhat. Though many of them have not put blades away, none of them are pointed at any of you any longer. They are still unmistakeably on guard, all of them watching for the slightest hint of a resuming of hostilities, but by now the parlay appears to have been firmly established. Both Kett and Arano are guided back down to the ground, Berick choosing not to comment about his price for the time being but wearing a smirk that's a little too self-satisfied.

Velancor and Dox share another look at Drake's intercession towards the former. What the look communicates exactly is not apparent, but the dwarf at least gets the impression that some of what he said resounded with the Thrane. There is also a slight raising of the Lady's brow towards Drake himself; a question is implied, but towards which part of his statement is a mystery.

Tellingly, it is not she but Dox who speaks up first. "It wasn't her at Solstice House who hired the Phiarlans, I'm afraid. They failed in their objective, but as far as final performances go it wasn't a bad showing." The statement is met by a few dark chuckles from the Thuranni cutthroats. The agent's stare is a blank page, bereft of human writing. "You think too highly of any of us, to believe us above taking a child to ensure our needs. You cannot have been at the game for very long, Shardstone. Where did the Lanterns dig you up from?"

Something passes through Lycia Velancor's eyes as she regards her ally, something that looks very much like disgust. But she steels herself, stepping closer until her silhouette of heron-blue and silver looms over the dwarf. There is no mistaking the next emotion to march across her face. "I spent months of work, a small fortune and the lives of many people dear to me to bring that orrery across the Thunder Sea. The Ambassador and his ridiculous auction was meant to be the final handoff, a mere formality. Your... interference cost me a great deal of goodwill both here and in Flamekeep, you know. So when the Thuranni approached me to strike a bargain, I had every reason to accept."

"Right then," Dox cuts in after a moment's pause, "why don't we start with the journal? I should have figured that Kasimir would keep a record of his mission and by all rights Arano held it last, so I assume one of you is carrying it now. Once we take you all to Layla, we'll arrange for the controller exchange. Does that sound fair to everyone?"

Arimart

<It is a long story, and I am afraid I do not have time to recount it. It is enough to say that I am cleaved to my caller until just after dawn.> There is a pause in your mind, followed by: <Your wonder is understandable, Arimart, but unnecessary. I know you, as the Flame knows you. We are all much closer than you might realize.>
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-14 at 12:39 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"So you get what you want, then scurry off in the dark, leaving us and Lycia in the cold clutching our dumb heads?" The talk had gotten too much for Kett. Try as she might, she couldn't hold off from interjecting that much, certainly not if it meant the loss of Layla - and the Codex. "She," She points, a bit rudely in all truth despite the veiled compliment, at Velancor "seems more likely to stick to her end of the bargain. If we're handing over part of our exchange as a 'show of good faith', it should be the orrery controller. At least that way you can't vanish before we see Layla."

Arano was uninjured and the dropping of the spell meant they had at least a marginally better position compared to a few moments ago, now it was just a matter of driving a wedge between the two sides. They'd almost reached the Codex. After that just came destroying the damn thing.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground

Velancor's frown changes targets as she looks expectantly at her 'ally', waiting to see how she will respond to the new demand. Yet as masterful an actor as some of you know her to be, the slow curling of Dox's lips is enough of a tell that Kett's words were expected, if not awaited. She lowers her eyes and opens her palms up to the sky, hunching her shoulders in a move clearly meant to appear conciliatory.

"You make a compelling point, Kett," the operative declares 'magnanimously'. "Maybe I was being too hasty. Lady Velancor, I trust you well enough to know that you will honour your word. Why don't you take the orrery first, and I will follow suit after the girl has been freed? You have, as you've said, come so very far to claim your prize. You deserve to get what you desire."

The Thrane spymistress' shoulders loosen ever so slightly and she gives a terse nod of thanks to all of the assembled parties. Any trace of a frown towards the changeling is gone now, and there is a hunger in her eyes as she looks to Drake and extends her hand.

"I'll have that controller now, if you don't mind. And I should hope you'd think better than to activate it."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-11 at 03:59 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake watched the nonverbal communication between Dox and Velancor, listening carefully to the spymistress’s response and push for the book. When Kett responded hotly, Dox answered begrudgingly, no graciously ... but the sentiment rang false. The dwarf stroked his beard as this occurred, thinking through the various implications

Ah, so she is Thuranni, and they took out their competition in order to make a deal with Velancor. They knew to approach her, and knew she would want the item ... but that all happened before the journal surfaced. So why take the orrery? Was it an opportunistic acquisition from a single operative? Or was there a plan all along?

Dox also knew about us ... had the group under surveillance. Is this part of some plan against Mett and Arano? Or someone else in the group? She strikes me as more spook than killer ... but she’s reaching. She doesn’t even realize what she has with Layla ... so that means she has a boss. It’s apparently not Velancor, so who is it? Who wants these ‘Champions’ laid low ... or at least wants to keep tabs on them? And will the journal make it back to the mysterious power behind the spy, or is this a personal grab for a higher rung on the ladder?

The sudden conciliatory offer to let us hand over the controller ... she wants us to give it up. Why? Unless ... with the controller in hand, Lady Velancor’s business is done. Dox gets paid, perhaps, but also rids herself of a possible thorn in further negotiations ... and someone who’s co to use interest in these events might complicate Dox’s plans. What happens if an agent of Thrane gets wind of the Codex? Dox doesn’t want to see that happen. And she rids herself of more witnesses.

But that comment ... ‘ And I should hope you'd think better than to activate it.’. Does she know it still is active? Or does she have a way to deactivate it? Maybe ... maybe Dox wants her to take it, hoping she opens up the portable home and succumbs to the chaos roiling inside? Then she gets the controller, the orrery and the journal.

Shades and shadows, this is certainly more than I bargained for ...

Clearing his through, Drake looked up at the Lady and smiled. He canted his voice causing a sudden cacophony of trumpets near Lady Dox and her associates. As the noise echoed, he spoke quietly for Velancor. ”As I said, I think we have an opportunity for negotiations. Leave the threats and intimidation tactics to the hired thugs - we are reasonable folk who can discuss terms without the third party. We want Layla back, and the money we used to purchase the orrery. You want the orrery. Do we have a deal?”

OOC - I have more, but let’s start there.
    Show
    Show

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-08-18 at 12:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

To Khabris

"I... I see... Thanks, Master of the Silver Flame, You already gave me much to ponder."

Negotiations

As the others around him start discussing, a couple of things said strike Arimart, especially the words of lady Velancor. The action during the Burning Birthday, the news about the Codex, and all the other things which happened, comprised the quick, if not unexpected, release of Draci, brought him to undervalue the importance of the Orrery for the other 'bidders' and the effective honesty of Drake's actions. A mistake a good man has to make here and there, but a mistake nonetheless.

"What are you talking about?" He says, looking at Drake and lady Velancor. "If you retrieved the Orrery from Xen'drik and brought it here that means you may have the rights to reclaim it. What was the need of this auction, then?"

The paladin steps closer to the two, glancing at them both.

"Your enforcer met me," he says, pointing at Draci, "and you know how things can quickly go sour in this city. You could've asked for help! And now we have a kidnapped girl and pathetic would-be killers all over the place!"

Noticing that he is raising his voice, the paladin composes himself, then speaks again.

"I don't know exactly what is happening between you and Drake, but I think we should solve the part where the Ambassador's daughter isn't still safe, then we will fix the rest of this mess."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-07-13 at 07:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

In the wake of the two pleas, you watch minute war being waged across the iron lady's face. The resolve to take the orrery relents for an instant when Drake asks for not just the girl but the money. In its wake are the raised eyebrow and pursed lip of surprise and maybe just a little bit of respect. That look deepens when Arimart sticks his oar in, conceding her own right to the artifact. Even as her mien settles back into something sour, you get the impression that something was gained by the ingress.

"The auction was hardly my idea," she snarls cantankerously. "It was that damned peacock ir'Sencriss wanting to make a little extra. I imagine he was hoping we would be outbid, so he and his so-called 'noble' friends could thumb their noses at us." She grumbles something inaudible and runs her fingers through fine silver hair.

"You make some good points, and honestly if I could make that deal I would, but - "

"But she can't," interrupts Dox once more with a wide-open smirk over the waning sound of the trumpets, "because she doesn't have the girl. I do. And her time is running out - so you'd best give her that orrery, Shardstone, because we have a bit of a walk before we get there."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-07-15 at 05:02 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Hold on." Kett throws up a hand. "What do you mean Layla's 'time is running out'? We've got all evening to talk this out, there's no rush in that regard, I'm guessing no one's got any other party's to attend in the small hours of the morning either." She looks around at the accumulated group, a little theatrically all told. "Schedules are probably cleared for this sort of tradeoff. So what do you mean when you say she's not got much time, exactly?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC